Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The 100/1 bet on the next Labour leader that quite a few of

SystemSystem Posts: 11,684
edited August 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The 100/1 bet on the next Labour leader that quite a few of us have taken this last week

Earlier on this week I decided to back Richard Burgon to be the next Labour leader at 100/1.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    First :)
  • Options
    and LOL at the thread. May would eat him alive.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    edited August 2016
    RobD said:

and LOL at the thread. May would eat him alive.

On current evidence that doesn't seem to be a relevant consideration when it comes to whether Labour members will make someone Leader of the Opposition.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Err. No.
  • Options

Err. No.

A proverbial QTWTAIN?
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    100/1 bets will normally not come off. Otherwise they wouldn't be 100/1. He's more likely than most of the shorter priced contenders for the reasons that TSE gives. 50/1 is probably about right.

His perceived lack of ability is not necessarily a deciding consideration: cf IDS, Andrea Leadsom and Jeremy Corbyn himself.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282
    Seventh like UKIP
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    A little self-serving of TSE to imply that the Justice Secretary needs to be a lawyer.

Producer capture is a real issue with regulatory authorities.
  • Options
    FluffyThoughtsFluffyThoughts Posts: 2,420
    edited August 2016
    Off-topic:

[Src.: http://www.economist.com/news/science-and-technology/21704743-bacteria-may-be-key-turning-graphene-semiconductor-bugs]

Could someone please explain how this is possible?
    First, instead of being easily channelled, electric current moves across a graphene sheet randomly and in all directions.
    Is it a Schroedingers Cat thingy...?
  • Options
    Charles said:

A little self-serving of TSE to imply that the Justice Secretary needs to be a lawyer.

What do lawyers know about justice? ;)
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    RobD said:

Charles said:

They don't care about justice, only the law.

edit: just to be clear, this isn't a criticism, just a statement of fact.
  • Options
    Charles said:

RobD said:

Charles said:

Who does care about justice? People who believe that the present reigning dynasty are German usurpers, and that the present Pope is a liberal makeweight?

• Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,721

Off-topic:

[Src.: http://www.economist.com/news/science-and-technology/21704743-bacteria-may-be-key-turning-graphene-semiconductor-bugs]

First, instead of being easily channelled, electric current moves across a graphene sheet randomly and in all directions.
    Is it a Schroedingers Cat thingy...?

More like corduroy apparently.
    http://www.materialstoday.com/carbon/news/bacteria-wrinkle-graphene-electronic-properties/
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    At present, I'm top of the table (like Jezza last year) in the PB All Stars Fantasy Football. But I suspect I'll soon be mid-table or worse (like Jezza).

Start with an enthusiastic rush but then reality bites.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Sorry, but a random activity cannot match a pattern that shows that it is likely to occur in 'all directions'. A random passage should exclude certain paths, no...?

:randon=/=predicatable:
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,242
    edited August 2016

100/1 bets will normally not come off. Otherwise they wouldn't be 100/1. He's more likely than most of the shorter priced contenders for the reasons that TSE gives. 50/1 is probably about right.

His perceived lack of ability is not necessarily a deciding consideration: cf IDS, Andrea Leadsom and Jeremy Corbyn himself.

I don't think it's a perception. He strikes me as a less intelligent version of Keith Joseph.

A more useful bet might be on when Jez will finally go. He's getting on, is failing badly and is clearly very confused by all the hate coming his way even from his own side (remember in his own esteem he's always been the good guy, and most of the party until now kept thanking him for keeping the old ways alive).

In 2019 he will be 70. There might be value in a bet for him to leave on that date if he wins again. However, that is dependent on him being allowed to go on his own terms because like most arrogant but not very bright people he's very stubborn. If the PLP continue to try and remove him, he'll stay until the next election and probably fight Emily Thornberry like ferrets in a sack for a seat in Islington.
  • Options

Charles said:

RobD said:

Charles said:

Who does care about justice? People who believe that the present reigning dynasty are German usurpers, and that the present Pope is a liberal makeweight?

I do.

And I believe neither of your other weird statements.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    Charles said:

RobD said:

Charles said:

We do care about justice.

We try to subvert it.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Charles said:

RobD said:

Charles said:

We do care about justice.

We try to subvert it.
    Is this an honest lawyer I see before me?
  • Options
    saddosaddo Posts: 534
    It make for huge amusement, but Burgon only has 2 purposes in life.

He's so apparently thick that he demonstrates that a Cambridge education is a worthless exercise.

He makes Diane Abbott look like a visionary of our age.

I know Labour are on some mass suicide mission at the moment and for some years to come as evidenced by an idiot like him being in the shadow cabinet, but really
  • Options

Charles said:

RobD said:

Charles said:

I see you've been taking a leaf out of JackW's book! ;)
  • Options

Sorry, but a random activity cannot match a pattern that shows that it is likely to occur in 'all directions'. A random passage should exclude certain paths, no...?

:randon=/=predicatable:
    Where do you get the 'random' bit from. Corduroy isn't random, it's directional.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    saddo said:

He's so apparently thick that he demonstrates that a Cambridge education is a worthless exercise.

He makes Diane Abbott look like a visionary of our age.

She also has a Cambridge degree of course, which was earned strictly on merit overcoming the huge barriers of race, gender and class that make her daily life impossible especially when hailing a taxi.

It proves past all doubt that she is a great intellectual of our time, up there with Nick Clegg and Tristram Hunt, and not a vacuous whinger with some kind of messiah complex.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Charles said:

RobD said:

Charles said:

A fair comment, as they are there to interpret the law, not make it.z

Edit: They aren't even there to interpret the law, that's for the judges.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Charles said:

RobD said:

Charles said:

I wish I could :)

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,995
    ydoethur said:

I don't think it's a perception. He strikes me as a less intelligent version of Keith Joseph.

A more useful bet might be on when Jez will finally go. He's getting on, is failing badly and is clearly very confused by all the hate coming his way even from his own side (remember in his own esteem he's always been the good guy, and most of the party until now kept thanking him for keeping the old ways alive).

In 2019 he will be 70. There might be value in a bet for him to leave on that date if he wins again. However, that is dependent on him being allowed to go on his own terms because like most arrogant but not very bright people he's very stubborn. If the PLP continue to try and remove him, he'll stay until the next election and probably fight Emily Thornberry like ferrets in a sack for a seat in Islington.
    The thought of him reaching 70 and deciding enough is enough is a very good one. IME things start to fall off one, or otherwise go wrong about then. Anyone know if he has any physical health issues?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

The thought of him reaching 70 and deciding enough is enough is a very good one. IME things start to fall off one, or otherwise go wrong about then. Anyone know if he has any physical health issues?
    Trump is 70.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

Where do you get the 'random' bit from. Corduroy isn't random, it's directional.

From my original post:

ETA: The article also points out that the gap between deydrated bacteria is too great to actually channel electric-currents (and the bighters need to be cleansed from the graphine first).
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Trump is 70.
    So is Clinton. But they're used to this pace. One has run a business and one is an ex-Secretary of State. Corbyn isn't.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    INTERNAL POLL ALERT - Gregg - Pence Home State.

Indiana - Clinton 44 .. Trump 44

http://howeypolitics.com/

• Options

From my original post:

ETA: The article also points out that the gap between deydrated bacteria is too great to actually channel electric-currents (and the bighters need to be cleansed from the graphine first).

I guess they're saying that unaltered graphene conducts equally well in all directions and bacteria can be used to add wrinkles.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,984
    Good morning, everyone.

Seleucus and Lysimachus were in their 70s when they contested mastery of the world at Corupedium. I do wonder if Lysimachus hadn't had such a poisonous second wife whether things might have been different [she drove him against his son, Agathocles, whom he slew, the son's wife fleeing to Seleucus].

I have put a small sum on Burgon, though, to be honest, I feel it almost inconceivable a 50/1 political bet could possibly come off. It's hard to think of any such example.
  • Options

Chortle .. :smile:

• Options

I have put a small sum on Burgon, though, to be honest, I feel it almost inconceivable a 50/1 political bet could possibly come off. It's hard to think of any such example.

What did OGH get on Barack Obama as the next President? Or is that what you were referring to?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Trump is 70.
    And your point is?
  • Options
    Mr. Doethur, it was indeed :)

That said, Patel and Greening were 51 to become Conservative leader.
  • Options
    RobD said:

It a rather fine antiquarian volume of several thousand pages and full of wonder .... :smiley:
  • Options
    JackW said:

10% lead for Romney last time, although Obama carried it by 1% in 2008.
  • Options
    JackW said:

RobD said:

It a rather fine antiquarian volume of several thousand pages and full of wonder .... :smiley:
    Sounds like it is oversized, impractical and better left on the shelf...

;)
  • Options
    Charles said:

JackW said:

RobD said:

;)
    It's often good to dust the old tome off once in a while... ;)
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited August 2016
    Burgon the farting commie as Leader.
    :smiley:
  • Options
    Charles said:

You're mistaking it for the autobiography of Eric Pickles ....
  • Options
    RobD said:

Charles said:

JackW said:

RobD said:

;)
    It's often good to dust the old tome off once in a while... ;)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Tyozk7cp7w
  • Options

JackW said:

The usual health warnings needs to be attached for internal polls but it's certainly in line with recent published polling from several red states.
  • Options

I am sure he also much enjoyed rereading posts like this one after picking up his winnings:

http://www.midasoracle.org/2008/06/04/clueless-mike-smithson-is-betting-that-barack-obama-will-take-hillary-clinton-on-the-democratic-ticket/
  • Options
    JackW said:

JackW said:

The usual health warnings needs to be attached for internal polls but it's certainly in line with recent published polling from several red states.
    Indiana puzzles me. It seems much more Republican than the neighbouring Midwest states, which seem to be either toss ups or Democrat. Any ideas why? Are the demographics so different?

• Options
    Mike Smithson won a huge gamble on Obama in 08 .... really ??

OGH kept that quiet, who knew ?!?!?!?!?!?! ....

:sunglasses:
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

I am sure he also much enjoyed rereading posts like this one after picking up his winnings:

http://www.midasoracle.org/2008/06/04/clueless-mike-smithson-is-betting-that-barack-obama-will-take-hillary-clinton-on-the-democratic-ticket/
    Looks like he stopped blogging in 2011. What a pity................. titters
  • Options
    JackW said:

JackW said:

Been watching US elections for years and I still get confused because I’m supposed to be happy when the Blues do well!
    Totally outside my comfort zone!
  • Options
    Mr. Doethur, :D
  • Options
    JackW said:

Mike Smithson won a huge gamble on Obama in 08 .... really ??

OGH kept that quiet, who knew ?!?!?!?!?!?! ....

:sunglasses:

I think he might have mentioned it once.

• Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    So what you are saying is that Burgon is the new Obama?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    RobD said:

ydoethur said:

Looks like he stopped blogging in 2011. What a pity................. titters
    Before posting on this site as Cromwell?
  • Options

JackW said:

JackW said:

Indiana puzzles me. It seems much more Republican than the neighbouring Midwest states, which seem to be either toss ups or Democrat. Any ideas why? Are the demographics so different?

Essentially yes. Then again look at how over the past three cycles demographics have changed the map - New Mexico, Colorado, Nevada and Virginia. Added to which Arizona, North Carolina, Georgia and Florida are all trending blue.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

So what you are saying is that Burgon is the new Obama?

So far I have to say he's looked more like a left-wing Sarah Palin.
  • Options

Been watching US elections for years and I still get confused because I’m supposed to be happy when the Blues do well!

Even worse if you supported Chelsea FC .. :smile:
  • Options

I think he might have mentioned it once.

Mike probably posted that at 3am on Xmas day to avoid grandstanding .... :smile:
  • Options
    My main insight from this piece is that Cambridge really churn out some duffers.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

My main insight from this piece is that Cambridge really churn out some duffers.

How very dare you madam. We've also produced some of country's finest, for example, Nick Clegg, Kim Philby, Guy Burgess, Donald Maclean, and Sir Anthony Blunt.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

Jonathan said:

How very dare you madam. We've also produced some of country's finest, for example, Nick Clegg, Kim Philby, Guy Burgess, Donald Maclean, and Sir Anthony Blunt.
    Magnificent :joy:

Edit - Although isn't it a bit harsh to include Clegg? All of the others more or less got away with it.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

Edit - Although isn't it a bit harsh to include Clegg? All of the others more or less got away with it.
    I included Nick Clegg purely for Jonathan's amusement.
  • Options

JackW said:

JackW said:

Lilly owns it. Effectively the government there.
  • Options
    JackW said:

JackW said:

JackW said:

Essentially yes. Then again look at how over the past three cycles demographics have changed the map - New Mexico, Colorado, Nevada and Virginia. Added to which Arizona, North Carolina, Georgia and Florida are all trending blue.
    My feeling is that Hillary will do well in the South. It has been Republican for years but she did well in the primaries there and will do well with African Americans and Hispanics. I do not think that Trump is the right sort of Republican for bible bashing white southerners. Too much the New York Yankee.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

All thought the country would be better under some alien form of control that they could never otherwise get the British people to vote for. It's just Clegg's was LibDemmery.
  • Options
    Nice tribute to the late Kenny Baker, the little person inside R2-D2, from Mark Hamill:

"He WAS the droid I was looking for!"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-37072736
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    edited August 2016

My feeling is that Hillary will do well in the South. It has been Republican for years but she did well in the primaries there and will do well with African Americans and Hispanics. I do not think that Trump is the right sort of Republican for bible bashing white southerners. Too much the New York Yankee.

We can't rule out one or two small, usually heavily Republican states going yellow. Enough people who won't be able to stomach voting for either of the main two.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Essexit said:

We can't rule out one or two small, usually heavily Republican states going yellow. Enough people who won't be able to stomach voting for either of the main two.
    Zero chance Johnson does anything. He's in it to spend money on consultants.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,943
    If Burgon becomes leader and survived to a general election then Labour could have their subsequent PLP meetings in a taxi.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    U asked us not to laugh at you're thread. I'll just cry instead.

Please let something replace Labour.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Mortimer said:

If Burgon becomes leader and survived to a general election then Labour could have their subsequent PLP meetings in a taxi.

I am not sure defeat in 2020 or even 2025 will sort out Labour and bring it to its senses.. Its going to be a long haul.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Essexit said:

Zero chance Johnson does anything. He's in it to spend money on consultants.
    I'm not sure he'd have to do an awful lot, he can't stop people voting for him if Trump and Hillary continue to be negative and unpopular. The polling would suggest that Utah might just about be in play for him in any case.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    David Walliams collects a National Television Award for his creation of hapless leftie MP, Richard Burgon, with what everyone but him can see is the ridiculous ambition of being Prime Minister:

http://www.firstnews.co.uk/site_data/images/137759110_4f2138e09be88.jpg
  • Options

Jonathan said:

You forgot Andy Burnham. Another Cambridge political colossus.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Mr. Eagles, one assumes there'll be subsidiary questions on differential front end grip and the moral excellence of genetically engineering superfish.

Edited extra bit: errant question mark axed.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,307
    Blinky for PM. Pity the Fringe is in Scotland where Labour doesn't have much of a following anymore. The material just writes itself.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Surely, every other day he claims to have been to Oxford?
  • Options
    Peter Hitchens suggests the real reason why western liberals hate Islam:

Islam’s real challenge to Western society is not terrorism. With a bit of resolve and common sense we can always defeat this filthy thing, and most Muslims would (in my view) be as happy as us if we did.
    No, the challenge comes from Islam’s near-total monopoly on things we used to value quite a bit and then totally gave up – female modesty being one of them. And yes, I know that plenty of other things, much more controversial, come with the package.

Pictures of Egypt’s veiled and covered Doaa Elghobashy, right, competing against bikini-clad Western opponents in the Olympic beach volleyball, are very thought-provoking.

You don’t have to go more than 100 years back to find Western women who would have had much more in common – in attitudes and dress – with Ms Elghobashy than they did with her near-naked rivals.

I often wonder if our society will sicken and tire of its seemingly endless relaxation of rules. Such things have happened before. If it does, the Muslim religion may be very well-positioned to lead the counter-revolution. I don’t want this to happen. I just think it might.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-3739538/PETER-HITCHENS-Grammar-wreckers-KNEW-make-schools-worse.html

• Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Probably on the Oxford tube. It's very good.
  • Options
    JackW said:

Even worse if you supported Chelsea FC .. :smile:
    Chelsea ...... shudder. I’m forever blowing bubbles!
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, one assumes there'll be subsidiary questions on differential front end grip and the moral excellence of genetically engineering superfish.

Well Mike did ask for my input for what questions YouGov should ask.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

:lol:
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Ken Clarke?
  • Options
    edited August 2016

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Ken Clarke?
    Didn't Andrew Mitchell go there as well - so did Norman Fowler I think
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, one eagerly anticipates the polling of the Hannibalic/Caesarean factions.
  • Options
    Paul_BedfordshirePaul_Bedfordshire Posts: 3,632
    edited August 2016
    Further to last nights debate on Grammar schools, Peter Hitchens gives his view:

Grammar schools stood for adult authority, for discipline, for tradition, for hard work first and reward afterwards, and for self-improvement.

Old-fashioned Labour saw the point of this. They realised that it helped the poor become better-off.... Labour councils used to build new grammar schools and be proud of them.

But the modern liberal Left don’t like any of these ideas. They would rather teach children how to have sex than teach them to believe in God.

Especially they don’t think parents or teachers should have any authority over the young. The State should be trusted to tell them what to think.....

The people who smashed up more than a thousand of the best state secondary schools in the world didn’t do it to make education better. They knew it would make it worse for bright children.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-3739538/PETER-HITCHENS-Grammar-wreckers-KNEW-make-schools-worse.html
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

:lol:
    I wonder if Andy Burnham wears flip-flops on his holidays?
  • Options
    O/t (Is Brexit ever, though?) but this has appeared on a Facebook page I look at
    :"Denmark-based academic Ulrik Pram Gad has suggested the UK could seek inspiration from Greenland, which withdrew from the EEC in 1985 while the rest of the Kingdom of Denmark remained.”
    It’s from an Irish newspaper and apparently St Nicola’s in favour of it.

I make no comment, I simply report!
  • Options
    Does anyone have a feel for what's happened to the Aussies? Their medals tally is sliding away.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australia_at_the_Olympics

They're on 22 right now = 7th

All post Sydney lack of momentum/investment?
  • Options
    Burgon. I really don't get it.

You get a top flight education at supposedly the top university. You become a professional, a lawyer indeed. And yet you spout the biggest load of crap. How does it happen. Is it an act? Or something else?
  • Options

Further to last nights debate on Grammar schools, Peter Hitchens gives his view:

Grammar schools stood for adult authority, for discipline, for tradition, for hard work first and reward afterwards, and for self-improvement.

Old-fashioned Labour saw the point of this. They realised that it helped the poor become better-off.... Labour councils used to build new grammar schools and be proud of them.

But the modern liberal Left don’t like any of these ideas. They would rather teach children how to have sex than teach them to believe in God.

Especially they don’t think parents or teachers should have any authority over the young. The State should be trusted to tell them what to think.....

The people who smashed up more than a thousand of the best state secondary schools in the world didn’t do it to make education better. They knew it would make it worse for bright children.

People who smashed ........Margaret Thatcher?
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047
    'They would rather teach children how to have sex than teach them to believe in God.'

I would prefer that to the other way around.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Does anyone have a feel for what's happened to the Aussies? Their medals tally is sliding away.

Amazing to think we came 36th in Atlanta in 96.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,307
    I'm absolutely gutted I seem to have missed the beach volleyball.
  • Options
    RobD said:

PlatoSaid said:

I keep noticing countries by their absence in some events. I look around for their competitors and either they aren't there, or aren't well placed. Some have obvious doping issues, others have lost their mojo or strategic way, others are upcoming.

It's fun, but a bit weird.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

I'm absolutely gutted I seem to have missed the beach volleyball.

You can watch it on catch-up :wink:
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047
    RobD said:

PlatoSaid said:

Things could only get better.
  • Options

RobD said:

PlatoSaid said:

Things could only get better.
    And they kept getting better after the New Labour (war criminal, tory) party left office :D
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150

Well Mike did ask for my input for what questions YouGov should ask.
    I hope you suggested some placebo polling along the lines of PPP's Panetta-Burns debt reduction plan.
  • Options

O/t (Is Brexit ever, though?) but this has appeared on a Facebook page I look at
    :"Denmark-based academic Ulrik Pram Gad has suggested the UK could seek inspiration from Greenland, which withdrew from the EEC in 1985 while the rest of the Kingdom of Denmark remained.”
    It’s from an Irish newspaper and apparently St Nicola’s in favour of it.

I make no comment, I simply report!

So a bit like how the UK is in the EU but Guernsey and Jersey aren't. Of course, Scotland is a full part of the UK, not a Crown Dependency. Sturgeon knows that - this whole charade is just so that when she calls another secession referendum she can pretend to have been reasonable and considered other options. Personally I think Theresa should just call her bluff and hold the referendum anyway.
This discussion has been closed.