Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Just focusing on states where Hillary Clinton has 10%+ poll

Comments

• Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478

First!

Looks like it is going to be a Clinton landslide.

I hope this proves true.
    Speaking for myself, it would also be fine if she can pull some seats in the House & Senate over to the Democrats so they can regain control there.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

I would also like to see a 'Pursuit' race created in athletics.

We are a running animal. Sport is a reflection of natural physical exertions. But we rarely need to run 10k or sprint for 100m then stop. In nature we generally run because we are chasing or being chased by something else. You must go fast from the get go or you'll be caught (and become lunch). But you can't stop - or you'll be caught. You need both speed and stamina to stay ahead. You can never pace yourself but must go as fast as you can all the time. It's like the evolutionary arms race between cheetahs and gazelles.

You could have two runners with one starting, say, 5m ahead of the other. From the gun the rear one has to touch the front one to win. No touch inside 4mins and the front runner wins. That'd be a lot more exciting than a bloody 10k!

Sounds like 'bumps' racing in rowing.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,016
    Excellent gaming news: Witcher 3's GOTY edition (base game plus all DLC) out later this month [30 August].

I was actually, for the first time, going to get additional content via DLC, but far prefer on-disc stuff, so this is good news.

May wait for the price to drop, I'd guess it'll be £40 to start with and that's a bit much given I already have the base game.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Read this in the Telegraph today. Funny it's not a leading subject on PB:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/08/11/election-fraud-allowed-to-take-place-in-muslim-communities-becau/
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    At a guess, I suspect one of Trump's big problems is that he doesn't has anyone in his camp who has the authority to question him, tell him to shut up or suggest he might me wrong on something.

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,014
    The 800 metres is probably the most physiologically 'perfect' race of the whole olympics.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,475
    MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

Trump's white working class support overlaps strongly with the voters who most heavily backed Leave and opposition to NAFTA drives many of them too. Boris withdrew from the leadership campaign himself and was still more popular with voters as a whole than Tory MPs when he withdrew. Yet it was Tory MPs he needed to woo before he could get his leadership bid off the ground. Trump is not trying to win Republican Congressmen to become Speaker of the House or Senate Majority leader otherwise he would have no chance

Trump needs to woo traditional republicans who support free trade and capitalism. His failure to do that is why he's losing. He has been unable to reach across the left right divide in the same way leave did while also pissing off traditional republicans. Trump is a busted flush, even if he became disciplined and stayed on message to attack Hillary's record he probably wouldn't win. He's damaged goods, beyond rescue. I say this as someone who thought a Trump presidency might be interesting and wouldn't have been as bothered by it as most people. I don't see any path for him to victory in a nation that has an electoral college. He needs to overturn too many safe blue states and hold too many toss ups, without losing places like Arizona and even Texas which have high Hispanic populations.
    It is too early to write Trump off, Americans don't focus until Labor Day is out of the way. But as it stands the EC path looks awful for Trump. He seems to have absolutely no understanding of the electoral process. Does he even want to win?
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261

Excellent gaming news: Witcher 3's GOTY edition (base game plus all DLC) out later this month [30 August].

I was actually, for the first time, going to get additional content via DLC, but far prefer on-disc stuff, so this is good news.

May wait for the price to drop, I'd guess it'll be £40 to start with and that's a bit much given I already have the base game.

Witcher 3 is easily one of the best games I have ever played and the size of it is just vast. I put several hundred hours into it and the DLC is top quality as well. I even got a bit addicted to the great mini game (Gwent) and they are even doing a Gwent game it's that popular.

If you like RPG's with a fantastic storyline and brilliant well developed characters I can't recommend it enough.
  • Options
    619619 Posts: 1,784
    HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

Donald Trump is a very poor candidate. In a year where being an establishment figure is a disadvantage of unprecedented proportions, he's losing badly against the ultimate establishment figure. Why? Because the narcissist in him requires his campaign to be about himself, not his opponent.

The strategy for the rest of the campaign is obvious. But he won't be able to follow it.

We are in August, the campaign proper does not begin to November and remember at the beginning of the EU referendum campaign Remain had a 15% lead. Trump needs to hammer Hillary as the same old corrupt establishment, focus relentlessly on immigration and NAFTA in the rustbelt and win the debates and also hope for another Clinton scandal. It is unlikely all that will happen but not impossible
    As @AlastairMeeks points out, he won't. Trump is incapable of staying on message, he lacks the discipline necessary to win.
    Boris led the Leave campaign and was also hardly disciplined
    And Boris is not the PM now.
    He won the referendum though
    Trump is not trying to win a referendum on US trade policy, he is trying to win the White House. If it were a referendum on NAFTA then he'd have a good shot at winning with his current tactics. He does not stand a good chance of winning the presidency with Leave tactics. Just as they didn't serve Boris in his pursuit of No. 10.
    Trump's white working class support overlaps strongly with the voters who most heavily backed Leave and opposition to NAFTA drives many of them too. Boris withdrew from the leadership campaign himself and was still more popular with voters as a whole than Tory MPs when he withdrew. Yet it was Tory MPs he needed to woo before he could get his leadership bid off the ground. Trump is not trying to win Republican Congressmen to become Speaker of the House or Senate Majority leader otherwise he would have no chance

3 differences between LEAVE and trump

1. Boris had positive ratings with the voters and high trust overall, esp compared to cameron. Trump has very low negative personal ratings
    2. the media was split between LEAVE and REMAIN, with Leave having most the tabloids on side. Trump only really has hannity from fox news on side. Leaves lies were never challenged, whilst Trump's are
    3. Demographics are very different in the elctoral college. LEAVE never pissed off women, educated people or minorities in the same way Trump is
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

At a guess, I suspect one of Trump's big problems is that he doesn't has anyone in his camp who has the authority to question him, tell him to shut up or suggest he might me wrong on something.

For Trump read Corbyn and this is everything you need to know about the Labour Party
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154

Mr. Animal, you're quite right. Rogue One, not The Force Awakens.

Miss Plato, I'd also have proper sword-fighting in armour.

I'd quite like to see gliding in body suits, having been launched initially from a trebuchet....
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    FFS
    Ex-police sergeant James Boothby, 54, gave evidence on behalf of Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) Mersey-Cheshire.

But afterwards one of the defendants searched online and discovered Mr Boothby was sacked from Lancashire Police over his “dishonesty” in 2010.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/trial-collapses-after-prosecution-expert-11708506
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Mr. 83, I agree. The story's great, the characters have depth, the world is fantastically realised. It's not perfect (combat could perhaps be a shade sharper) but it's pretty close.

I'm hoping they do another Witcher game [though Geralt's story is likely done]. If so, it'll be intriguing to see if they go for a defined character (perhaps Ciri) or switch to a make-your-own approach, as per Dragon Age/Elder Scrolls.

Here's my review of it, for those wondering: http://thaddeusthesixth.blogspot.co.uk/2015/06/review-witcher-3-ps4.html

Edited extra bit: Mr. Mark, trebuchets are criminally under-used.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    MikeK said:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/08/11/election-fraud-allowed-to-take-place-in-muslim-communities-becau/

Good morning all.

Why would we care Mike? I'm still far more exercised by Rotheram et al than peccadilloes like voting fraud.

More importantly, Q2 construction numbers were bad, but not as bad as expected.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,079
    jonny83 said:

Witcher 3 is easily one of the best games I have ever played and the size of it is just vast. I put several hundred hours into it and the DLC is top quality as well. I even got a bit addicted to the great mini game (Gwent) and they are even doing a Gwent game it's that popular.

If you like RPG's with a fantastic storyline and brilliant well developed characters I can't recommend it enough.
    I shudder to think how good the next game from the company will be if their current progression maintained. The first Witcher game was tolerable but mediocre, with bland design, too much clunky or cringeworthy characterisation and plotting, and some irritating gameplay choices. The Witcher 2 was leagues better in every way - graphically, design, character and plotting - and The WItcher 3 even better. I'd advise people start with2, frankly.
  • Options
    BannedInParisBannedInParis Posts: 2,191

Patrick said:

We are a running animal. Sport is a reflection of natural physical exertions. But we rarely need to run 10k or sprint for 100m then stop. In nature we generally run because we are chasing or being chased by something else. You must go fast from the get go or you'll be caught (and become lunch). But you can't stop - or you'll be caught. You need both speed and stamina to stay ahead. You can never pace yourself but must go as fast as you can all the time. It's like the evolutionary arms race between cheetahs and gazelles.

You could have two runners with one starting, say, 5m ahead of the other. From the gun the rear one has to touch the front one to win. No touch inside 4mins and the front runner wins. That'd be a lot more exciting than a bloody 10k!

Could easily do it just like bumps, and have 8 or so starting as the heats - you qualify for the next round by catching or not getting caught. Last man standing wins.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,005

More than 70 Republicans have signed a letter to the party's National Committee head urging him to stop helping Donald Trump's campaign.
    They said Mr Trump's "divisiveness" and "incompetence" risked drowning the party in November's election.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-us-2016-37055398

The down-ticket impact deserves more attention. When I was over there this month there was VERY little coverage of down-ticket races, even on local TV, so the temptation to vote the party line in such a polarised election is significant. If the GOP loses control of the Senate and loses ground in the House (districting makes an abolu switch unlikely), it will have a major impact on events in the next 4 years.

That said, it's not bad that Trump is only 5-7 points behind nationally after all the negative publicity. Maybe he has a low ceiling but a high floor.
    The US is so polarised politically that I think both candidates have a ceiling of c.52%, and a floor of c.45%. Of course, a 52/45 win can produce a landslide in the Electoral College, but it's not big in percentage terms.
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    MikeK said:

The BBC reported it this morning. I first became aware via reading Private Eye - I subscribe, and it's far more use than 'newspapers' - that electoral fraud is rife in many Labour seats.
  • Options
    wrt 'bumps', I'm fairly sure I saw something similar being done by NZ special forces, except it was on a ludicrously undulating course and they were all carrying small houses.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited August 2016

MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

Trump needs to woo traditional republicans who support free trade and capitalism. His failure to do that is why he's losing. He has been unable to reach across the left right divide in the same way leave did while also pissing off traditional republicans. Trump is a busted flush, even if he became disciplined and stayed on message to attack Hillary's record he probably wouldn't win. He's damaged goods, beyond rescue. I say this as someone who thought a Trump presidency might be interesting and wouldn't have been as bothered by it as most people. I don't see any path for him to victory in a nation that has an electoral college. He needs to overturn too many safe blue states and hold too many toss ups, without losing places like Arizona and even Texas which have high Hispanic populations.
    It is too early to write Trump off, Americans don't focus until Labor Day is out of the way. But as it stands the EC path looks awful for Trump. He seems to have absolutely no understanding of the electoral process. Does he even want to win?
    Most will not give it much attention until September, so it is not a done deal.

It is hard to see a way back for Trump though. Where is he going to pick up swing voters in swing states?
  • Options
    That reminds me.

The campaign for this to be in the Olympics starts here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_pentathlon

Shooting: At a distance of 200 metres, competitors are tested separately for precision (10 shots in 10 minutes) and rapid-fire (10 shots in one minute) shooting.

Obstacle running: Competitors navigate a 500-meter obstacle course with 20 obstacles.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-rkeWdqxBY

Obstacle swimming: Competitors must swim a distance of 50 meters, including four obstacles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtEJqF-N1a0

Throwing: Competitors are tested separately for precision and distance throwing. In the precision test, competitors throw 16 projectiles (inactive grenades) at targets on the ground at varying distances.

Cross country running: Competitors undertake an 8 km cross country run.
  • Options

Patrick said:

Could easily do it just like bumps, and have 8 or so starting as the heats - you qualify for the next round by catching or not getting caught. Last man standing wins.
    Stop beating about the bush. What we want in the Olympics is British Bulldog. 1, 2, 3....
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,634
    Definitely going to recommend The Witcher 3 to anyone who has a passing interest in RPGs. Excellent game overall.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,482

MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

Most will not give it much attention until September, so it is not a done deal.

It is hard to see a way back for Trump though. Where is he going to pick up swing voters in swing states?
    I think HRC would have to suffer a really spectacular personal implosion to lose from here. That's not to say she's incapable of it - at times she's proved an ability to put her pedal extremity in her oral orifice to rival that of Trump himself - but it's unlikely.

And if of course a major scandal blew up and she had to withdraw that would likely make it much harder for Trump, as Kaine is a far less divisive candidate than she is and would probably attract swing voters in a stampede.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    MaxPB said:

You have to hand it to Trump. Had he carried on his rhetoric from the primary campaign he could have been doing Shillary real damage by now. Instead he's gone batshit crazy and will probably lose in a landslide

Indeed, if he'd concentrated on Hillary's poor record as SoS, the emails, her dodgy foundation and her warmongering nature Trump would probably be in the lead.
    Remember - VoteLeave left the immigration card until very near the end.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,144
    Dromedary said:

The BBC are pushing the line that the bombs that exploded across Thailand, in bar and shopping districts, killing at least four people, are NOT "terrorism".

Well what the hell are they, then? Imagine if the bombs had been in Tel Aviv.

Doubtless some morons who listen to the BBC will not notice anything strange about such an "analysis", and they may even be willing to respond patronisingly to those who do, to compensate for their own submissiveness to what they hear from above in the opinion chain. The line nowadays is that "terrorism" is a subset of Islam, so nothing outside of Islam can be "terrorism". Never mind that civilians are being blown to bits in shops and bars. The question is whether the bombers believe in one God and that Mohammed was his greatest and last prophet. And if the security and media services say they don't, then let's not hear you whinge about "terrorism" if your civilian family members were blown to bits by a bomb when they went to the shops, okay? Because the BBC won't be encouraging any such thoughts. It's LOCAL; it's not TERRORISM - got it? And you've ALWAYS known that that typology is correct. No other typology has ever existed. You're a delinquent if you even ask whether it has. So don't encourage anyone to step out of line and unbook their sex holiday.

IIRC, Thailand has had quite a lot of non Islamic terrorist attacks related to the coup two year ago, so it's possible this is to do with that .
  • Options

Patrick said:

Stop beating about the bush. What we want in the Olympics is British Bulldog. 1, 2, 3....
    Bring back Tug of War
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Definitely going to recommend The Witcher 3 to anyone who has a passing interest in RPGs. Excellent game overall.

Checked my Steam account. For games bought this year, Factorio is clearly my favourite waste of time, followed by Europa Universalis IV, then The Witcher 3. They're all very different games, but fantastic one and all. Of course, DoTA crushes them in terms of overall hours spent.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

That reminds me.

The campaign for this to be in the Olympics starts here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_pentathlon

Shooting: At a distance of 200 metres, competitors are tested separately for precision (10 shots in 10 minutes) and rapid-fire (10 shots in one minute) shooting.

Obstacle running: Competitors navigate a 500-meter obstacle course with 20 obstacles.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-rkeWdqxBY

Obstacle swimming: Competitors must swim a distance of 50 meters, including four obstacles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtEJqF-N1a0

Throwing: Competitors are tested separately for precision and distance throwing. In the precision test, competitors throw 16 projectiles (inactive grenades) at targets on the ground at varying distances.

Cross country running: Competitors undertake an 8 km cross country run.

There was an endurance event open to teams of Special Forces, called the Raid Gauloises. I remember one of my close protection guys was in it. It started with stuff like being parachuted onto a volcano, running a marathon down to the bottom, getting onto bikes, kayaks...anything went. One occasion, the Germans were well out in front, until confronted with camels - which then went in four different directions.....
  • Options

Patrick said:

If you used a normal 400m athletics track you could space them every 50m.

What about doing this with F1 cars? You might need a bigger track though...

• Options

Patrick said:

Given the hundreds of thousands of condoms handed out to competitors - Catchy Kissy would be perfect, and annoy all the PCers.
  • Options
    Mr. M, heard of but not played Europa Universalis [I'm a console gamer, which probably explains that]. What's Factorio?
  • Options
    edited August 2016

Mr. M, heard of but not played Europa Universalis [I'm a console gamer, which probably explains that]. What's Factorio?

It's an indy PC game based on building factories. Yes, it is that bland.

If you liked Lego or Meccano as a kid, it's similar in that you can lose hours tinkering with your bases. Has a fantastic mod scene and the development team are first class.

The Witcher is almost a cinematic narrative; Factorio & EU IV are sandboxes. It's such a pity you only have a console. You'd love Paradox games, especially Crusader Kings.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,704
    HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

Donald Trump is a very poor candidate. In a year where being an establishment figure is a disadvantage of unprecedented proportions, he's losing badly against the ultimate establishment figure. Why? Because the narcissist in him requires his campaign to be about himself, not his opponent.

The strategy for the rest of the campaign is obvious. But he won't be able to follow it.

We are in August, the campaign proper does not begin to November and remember at the beginning of the EU referendum campaign Remain had a 15% lead. Trump needs to hammer Hillary as the same old corrupt establishment, focus relentlessly on immigration and NAFTA in the rustbelt and win the debates and also hope for another Clinton scandal. It is unlikely all that will happen but not impossible
    As @AlastairMeeks points out, he won't. Trump is incapable of staying on message, he lacks the discipline necessary to win.
    Boris led the Leave campaign and was also hardly disciplined
    And Boris is not the PM now.
    He won the referendum though
    Trump is not trying to win a referendum on US trade policy, he is trying to win the White House. If it were a referendum on NAFTA then he'd have a good shot at winning with his current tactics. He does not stand a good chance of winning the presidency with Leave tactics. Just as they didn't serve Boris in his pursuit of No. 10.
    I don't think Boris would have taken us out the EU. He would have asked Merkel for a better deal and got only a couple of extra bits on top of what Cameron did.

That and he fractured confidence in himself by his relaxed and perplexed behaviour the weekend after the vote. But he managed to make himself look the victim, and Gove the villain, so he's come away looking innocent.
  • Options
    Ian Jones
    Team GB has now surpassed its (admittedly tiny) medal haul at the 1996 Atlanta Olympics. #Rio2016 https://t.co/cS6xSlbVjA

How did we get so bad re Atlanta?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

Trump is losing because of his behaviour and personality.

The coalition to win a US Presidential election for the Republicans is there but he isn't the man to seal it.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Can I add to the praise for this game? The only real problem is that it is a real time sink. It is also NOT a game for children: very adult themes and language.

• Options
    edited August 2016
    Mr. M, I agree, but I get distracted easily enough without trying to game as well as work on my PC. Plus, I don't have the time/money to play loads more games anyway.

The Witcher 3 does have a cinematic central narrative, although with distinct choices that have consequences, but the side-quests are as numerous and sand-boxy as any other RPG.

Indeed, more than many. Compare Witcher 3 sidequests to Fallout 4's Preston Garvey and the endless 'settlers are helpless and pathetic. Go help them' quests.

Edited extra bit: Mr. Teacher, I'd second that. Not for children, or people who are of a nervous disposition/easily upset.
  • Options
    John_M said:

If you liked Lego or Meccano as a kid, it's similar in that you can lose hours tinkering with your bases. Has a fantastic mod scene and the development team are first class.

The Witcher is almost a cinematic narrative; Factorio & EU IV are sandboxes. It's such a pity you only have a console. You'd love Paradox games, especially Crusader Kings.
    I find their grand strategy stuff too intimidating - Crusader Kings 2 and its bafflingly complicated system of demenses, factional and religious power influences, balancing of Royal and local power, strategic marriage alliances, need to manufacture casus belli etc? Too much. I like the idea of it, but I'm not detailed enough.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    rcs1000 said:

Dromedary said:

The BBC are pushing the line that the bombs that exploded across Thailand, in bar and shopping districts, killing at least four people, are NOT "terrorism".

Well what the hell are they, then? Imagine if the bombs had been in Tel Aviv.

Doubtless some morons who listen to the BBC will not notice anything strange about such an "analysis", and they may even be willing to respond patronisingly to those who do, to compensate for their own submissiveness to what they hear from above in the opinion chain. The line nowadays is that "terrorism" is a subset of Islam, so nothing outside of Islam can be "terrorism". Never mind that civilians are being blown to bits in shops and bars. The question is whether the bombers believe in one God and that Mohammed was his greatest and last prophet. And if the security and media services say they don't, then let's not hear you whinge about "terrorism" if your civilian family members were blown to bits by a bomb when they went to the shops, okay? Because the BBC won't be encouraging any such thoughts. It's LOCAL; it's not TERRORISM - got it? And you've ALWAYS known that that typology is correct. No other typology has ever existed. You're a delinquent if you even ask whether it has. So don't encourage anyone to step out of line and unbook their sex holiday.

IIRC, Thailand has had quite a lot of non Islamic terrorist attacks related to the coup two year ago, so it's possible this is to do with that .
    it's only terrorism if t's Islamic!
  • Options
    Mr. kle4, might like Nobunaga's Ambition: Sphere of Influence. I find it complicated enough to be satisfying without being difficult to grasp (the last proper strategy game I bought was Civ II. In 1999).

http://thaddeusthesixth.blogspot.co.uk/2016/07/review-nobunagas-ambition-sphere-of.html
  • Options

You have to hand it to Trump. Had he carried on his rhetoric from the primary campaign he could have been doing Shillary real damage by now. Instead he's gone batshit crazy and will probably lose in a landslide

Trump = Caligula?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

John_M said:

I find their grand strategy stuff too intimidating - Crusader Kings 2 and its bafflingly complicated system of demenses, factional and religious power influences, balancing of Royal and local power, strategic marriage alliances, need to manufacture casus belli etc? Too much. I like the idea of it, but I'm not detailed enough.
    I take your point. However, this is PB so I'm going to argue with you :). Because it models so many countries, you can usually find something of appropriate complexity. Ireland's petty kings are simple and reasonably interesting. Not everyone needs to dive straight into the Byzantine Empire.

More on topic: Trump is a rambling, inarticulate demagogic know-nothing. Boris is an excellent public speaker. I can't see any valid comparison between the two.
  • Options
    JackW said:

My current (although not ARSE4US) all states called projection is Clinton 359/179 :

http://www.270towin.com/

jack u need to press the green share this button not copy and paste the url.
  • Options

Mr. kle4, might like Nobunaga's Ambition: Sphere of Influence. I find it complicated enough to be satisfying without being difficult to grasp (the last proper strategy game I bought was Civ II. In 1999).

http://thaddeusthesixth.blogspot.co.uk/2016/07/review-nobunagas-ambition-sphere-of.html

I do like the Sengoku Jidai period. Though why does Nobunaga always get the attention in these games, he didn't even complete the unification.

ALthough I would be remiss, having had Civ II mentioned, not to bring up the story from a few years ago of the guy who had a single game played on and off over 10 years. A world locked in a 1700 year war, repeated nuclear catastrophe and where democracy had had to be abandoned due to inefficiency. Hilarious. It's what we will get in a Trump/Corbyn future too!

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/06/18/tech/gaming-gadgets/civilization-ii-ten-years/
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    PlatoSaid said:

Ian Jones
    Team GB has now surpassed its (admittedly tiny) medal haul at the 1996 Atlanta Olympics. #Rio2016 https://t.co/cS6xSlbVjA

17 years of Tory rule?
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    Jonathan said:

I suspect Trump sees himself as an alpha male and so doesn't appear to take advice. Though he's ruthless I don't think he'd last five minutes in primitive conditions, and anyway, alpha males are by definition expendable.
    I can't see Corbyn as an alpha male, just limited but focused.
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

Trump wins the land, Clinton the people.

Clinton the heads neither the hearts.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Ian Jones

It's basically in the approximate same ballpark as Barcelona and Seoul but we did only get the 1 gold.
  • Options
    Stellaris has been the biggest time sink for me lately. It is a lot of fun. I've played the game as space Hitler, it's quite fun.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

Ian Jones

17 years of Tory rule?
    Seems an unlikely reason. My favourite bit of trivia from Atlanta was that Hong Kong won their first (and last) medal in the sailing.
  • Options

Patrick said:

If you used a normal 400m athletics track you could space them every 50m.

I think the distance between competitors is key. Longer and its an endurance thing, shorter and its a sprint.

You could also have races where there's a hollowing out. 3rd catches 2nd, 5th catches 4th, 7th catches 6th, 8th has to get an almighty sprint on.

• Options

Civ II hasn't been beaten IMHO.

Although Empire Total War and the first Medieval Total War was good.

Too many new games now just focus on securing big name actors for in game movies and dialogues, and graphics, rather than gameplay.

Plus consoles and smartphones are rather good now, so the market for PC games is less.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,434
    MaxPB said:

Rocket Propelled Grenades?

#confused.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

PlatoSaid said:

Ian Jones

17 years of Tory rule?
    There was a lack of national pride back then and lottery funding (a Tory innovation) is responsible for a lot of the improvements made since then, even at Sydney we had huge gains compared to Atlanta.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I do like the Sengoku Jidai period. Though why does Nobunaga always get the attention in these games, he didn't even complete the unification.

ALthough I would be remiss, having had Civ II mentioned, not to bring up the story from a few years ago of the guy who had a single game played on and off over 10 years. A world locked in a 1700 year war, repeated nuclear catastrophe and where democracy had had to be abandoned due to inefficiency. Hilarious. It's what we will get in a Trump/Corbyn future too!

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/06/18/tech/gaming-gadgets/civilization-ii-ten-years/
    He crowd sourced solutions to it. One guy managed to turn it around really quite quickly (hundreds of years, beating back hordes of cyber-vikings or some such)
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Stellaris has been the biggest time sink for me lately. It is a lot of fun. I've played the game as space Hitler, it's quite fun.

Stellaris just didn't do it for me. I keep meaning to go back to it.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    @DavidL I think they're writing in a form of English, but I'm not completely sure about that.
  • Options

Too many new games now just focus on securing big name actors for in game movies and dialogues, and graphics, rather than gameplay.

Plus consoles and smartphones are rather good now, so the market for PC games is less.
    The market for PC games is huge, it's easier than ever to get great PC Indy games. I actually preferred the second Medieval Total War myself.
    MaxPB said:

Space Hitler? You monster. I replayed Dragon Age Inquisition, playing as a brutal religious fanatic, that's much less monstrous. It's for the Maker you must die, not my own ambition, I promise.

Someone should play a game of Democracy 3 as a Corbynite PM and see what the algorithms think would happen. I played as I would rule and got assassinated in a year.
  • Options
    Mr. Royale, I wish a proper Civ would come to console (I did play Revolutions and, whilst enjoyable, it was too damned quick).
  • Options
    DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

#confused.
    Role Playing Game. Sorry for the outbreak of nerdery this morning.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

PlatoSaid said:

Ian Jones

17 years of Tory rule?
    There was a lack of national pride back then and lottery funding (a Tory innovation) is responsible for a lot of the improvements made since then, even at Sydney we had huge gains compared to Atlanta.
    The appetite for change in the mid 90s - and belief the UK was too staid, stuffy and directionless - was quite strong amongst floating voters. And there had been a series of 'establishment' type scandals.

Even if I don't agree with much of it one thing new Labour did achieve in its 15 years of dominance was a huge amount of social, consitutional and cultural change.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Ian Jones

It was pre-lottery funding when sport in this country was seriously on its uppers. In the last 20 years we have invested real money in sport with the results we see in the velodrome, the pool, the gym (never even had a finalist when I was a kid) in track and field, splashing around in boats etc etc.

You can argue about whether this is the best use of large sums of public money but it has made us a major player in pretty much every international sport. Contrary to what SeanT and others were saying last night I expect us to finish these Olympics in the top 5 on the medal table with an outside chance of third.

Personally I can think of dozens of worst uses that public money is currently put to.
  • Options
    John_M said:

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

#confused.
    Role Playing Game. Sorry for the outbreak of nerdery this morning.
    This place is already full of nerds - it's not a surprise there will be some overlap between political nerds and gaming nerds.
    John_M said:

kle4 said:

John_M said:

I take your point. However, this is PB so I'm going to argue with you :). Because it models so many countries, you can usually find something of appropriate complexity. Ireland's petty kings are simple and reasonably interesting. Not everyone needs to dive straight into the Byzantine Empire.

More on topic: Trump is a rambling, inarticulate demagogic know-nothing. Boris is an excellent public speaker. I can't see any valid comparison between the two.
    Maybe I'll try as the Irish in that case.

Trump vs Boris, I can see how the comparison could be made, but despite his maverick style and penchant for headline grabbing, and accusations of laziness on detail, Boris is a career politician who happens to be a media figure, not a bloviatiating magnate cum reality tv star turning into a politician.
  • Options
    MontyHallMontyHall Posts: 226
    edited August 2016
    Trump is not like leave because leaving the EU did not mean a maniac is in charge of the country. It was the public removing a weapon from the establishments artillery, but letting them stay in charge.

Voting Trump is a much riskier proposition.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

The market for PC games is huge, it's easier than ever to get great PC Indy games. I actually preferred the second Medieval Total War myself.
    MaxPB said:

Space Hitler? You monster. I replayed Dragon Age Inquisition, playing as a brutal religious fanatic, that's much less monstrous. It's for the Maker you must die, not my own ambition, I promise.

Someone should play a game of Democracy 3 as a Corbynite PM and see what the algorithms think would happen. I played as I would rule and got assassinated in a year.
    Medieval Total War II is pants. The gameplay was nothing like as fun, same with Rome.

I loved the first release. You could play the English, invade and conquer Scotland in a battle and then put your prisoners to the sword.

Great fun.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

PlatoSaid said:

Ian Jones

17 years of Tory rule?
    The appetite for change in the mid 90s - and belief the UK was too staid, stuffy and directionless - was quite strong amongst floating voters. And there had been a series of 'establishment' type scandals.

Even if I don't agree with much of it one thing new Labour did achieve in its 15 years of dominance was a huge amount of social, consitutional and cultural change.
    Blair, to his credit, brought in the idea of "Cool Britannia" which restored a lot of national pride. Ironically without that we'd still be stuck in a perennial state of self-loathing and the likes of Meeks and OllyT would be happy while the likes of us would be marginalised. Blair, again traitor to the intellectual left harnessed populism in the same way as Leave, just for a different purpose.
  • Options

@DavidL I think they're writing in a form of English, but I'm not completely sure about that.

It's what they are writing about I really struggle to follow. I think the last computer game I played was sonic the hedgehog and that was stunningly dull. The idea of spending dozens of hours playing a computer game when there are so many other demands on my time is something I really struggle to comprehend. No doubt a failure of imagination on my part.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

PlatoSaid said:

Ian Jones

It was pre-lottery funding when sport in this country was seriously on its uppers. In the last 20 years we have invested real money in sport with the results we see in the velodrome, the pool, the gym (never even had a finalist when I was a kid) in track and field, splashing around in boats etc etc.

You can argue about whether this is the best use of large sums of public money but it has made us a major player in pretty much every international sport. Contrary to what SeanT and others were saying last night I expect us to finish these Olympics in the top 5 on the medal table with an outside chance of third.

Personally I can think of dozens of worst uses that public money is currently put to.
    Interesting intv with top chappy from Loughborough sports psychology dept on Sky earlier - he was of the opinion that we started to match/then overtook the US in many areas as we upped our game on psycho/mechanics.
  • Options
    Mr. L, I still have the original Sonic :D

Games are a million miles away from that now. Imagine a combination of a films and books, with hundreds of hours of time (in the larger ones).
  • Options
    @DavidL Plants Vs Zombies is relaxing in the bath or on planes.
  • Options
    Andrew Neil
    Economic growth in eurozone fell to its slowest pace since the middle of 2015, expanding by just 0.3% in the second quarter (half UK rate)
  • Options
    DavidL said:

It's what they are writing about I really struggle to follow. I think the last computer game I played was sonic the hedgehog and that was stunningly dull. The idea of spending dozens of hours playing a computer game when there are so many other demands on my time is something I really struggle to comprehend. No doubt a failure of imagination on my part.
    It's a seasonal thing for me. Plenty of better things to do when the weather is fine. This year is different. Gardening accident meant I damaged my hip. It's taken months to recover. Still, off the crutches now, and can walk for an hour at a time.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

DavidL said:

PlatoSaid said:

Ian Jones

Interesting intv with top chappy from Loughborough sports psychology dept on Sky earlier - he was of the opinion that we started to match/then overtook the US in many areas as we upped our game on psycho/mechanics.
    Yes and that is what gives many of our athletes the edge over more physiologically gifted competitors from Africa and most of Asia. But they will catch up. This is probably a golden age for UK sport and our outperformance will not last indefinitely.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

PlatoSaid said:

Ian Jones

The lottery money used for sport has help national pride and indirectly the Brexit vote.

So money well spent.
  • Options
    What is the Corbyn endgame? Are he and his fans genuinely deluded enough to think they could win an election? Or are they merely interested in turning Labour into a social protest movement?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,005
    That's not encouraging. It suggests that Labour's support in a general election could be below its score in 1983.
  • Options

@DavidL Plants Vs Zombies is relaxing in the bath or on planes.

I've seen that. My son used to play it quite regularly. Not sure if this is why he is so little help in the garden though.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Andrew Neil
    Economic growth in eurozone fell to its slowest pace since the middle of 2015, expanding by just 0.3% in the second quarter (half UK rate)

Poor Italy was flat in Q2. Renzi is going to struggle.

For balance, UK construction has officially re-entered recession after two quarters of shrinkage. It's only 6% of the economy, but an overall Q3 contraction looks very likely.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

PlatoSaid said:

DavidL said:

PlatoSaid said:

Ian Jones

Yes and that is what gives many of our athletes the edge over more physiologically gifted competitors from Africa and most of Asia. But they will catch up. This is probably a golden age for UK sport and our outperformance will not last indefinitely.
    There is enough funding for it to continue for a long time. The issue is doping, I know there are a lot of bitter European countries who call what we have done financial doping, especially in the cycling where we outspend the rest of the field by a wide margin. I think what might happen is budget limits, if not then poorer countries may see the only way to catch up is by running state doping programmes like the Russians.
  • Options
    Ned Donovan
    Thought you might like to know the Queen is leading the Olympic table as the top head of state, with 43 medals. Obama is second with 38.
  • Options
    @Sean_F If Labour go into the next election with Jeremy Corbyn as leader, they can look forward to a considerably worse result than 1983.
  • Options
    John_M said:

DavidL said:

It's a seasonal thing for me. Plenty of better things to do when the weather is fine. This year is different. Gardening accident meant I damaged my hip. It's taken months to recover. Still, off the crutches now, and can walk for an hour at a time.
    One of the worst things about getting older is how much longer things take to heal. I had a fall outside Old Trafford a month ago and the heel of my palm and wrist are still sore to flex. I think 20 years ago it would have been fine in a day or so.
  • Options

What is the Corbyn endgame? Are he and his fans genuinely deluded enough to think they could win an election? Or are they merely interested in turning Labour into a social protest movement?
    Some think they will win (seems improbable, albeit not technically impossible), others think maybe they won't win this time, but it will transform Labour and when they were win next time it will be the perfect kind of Labour to win (and so implicitly worth Tory rule up to 2025), others think Labour have already lost 2020 so it doesn't matter, they may as well try to reform the party, and probably some are not interested in electoral success at all. I don't think it is as many as some think though - we've seen figures that quite a lot think they are on the path to electoral success.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,199
    MontyHall said:

Trump is not like leave because leaving the EU did not mean a maniac is in charge of the country. It was the public removing a weapon from the establishments artillery, but letting them stay in charge.

It's sometimes hard but you should bear in mind that for many people this difference works in his favour rather than against him. On paper a billionaire businessman with great media skills is very appealing to the average guy as someone who can 'fix' Washington.
  • Options

They think they'll win. The public will experience an epiphany once they get to know Jeremy and understand his simple, gentle message of peace, justice and fraternity.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    PlatoSaid said:

Ned Donovan
    Thought you might like to know the Queen is leading the Olympic table as the top head of state, with 43 medals. Obama is second with 38.

I love statistics like that :lol:
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    edited August 2016
    ''The issue is doping, I know there are a lot of bitter European countries who call what we have done financial doping, especially in the cycling where we outspend the rest of the field by a wide margin.''

As far as I am aware we employ a law of the jungle policy very suited to this kind of activity. Succeed and you are rewarded with funding. Fail and your funding is cut.

And so success breeds success and the failing sports have to change to keep the cash flowing.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

PlatoSaid said:

Ian Jones

Is our improved standing in world sport John Major's only lasting legacy? Well, that and keeping Neil Kinnock out of Downing Street.....
  • Options

DavidL said:

PlatoSaid said:

Ian Jones

The lottery money used for sport has help national pride and indirectly the Brexit vote.

So money well spent.
    Agreed. In some ways the Brexit vote can be linked to London 2012. The country was rightly proud of putting on the best Olympics ever and suggestions that we could not manage on our own have got shorter and shorter shift ever since. I really think it was a turning point.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

John_M said:

DavidL said:

One of the worst things about getting older is how much longer things take to heal. I had a fall outside Old Trafford a month ago and the heel of my palm and wrist are still sore to flex. I think 20 years ago it would have been fine in a day or so.
    I know exactly what you mean! Not in my dotage yet (mid-50s), but compared to my rugby days I'm a crock. Partly my own fault. Took me a few days to hie myself to the doctor, thence to hospital. Apparently I near as dammit dislocated my hip, which is non-trivial. Has cost a small fortune in physio. Ah well, lesson learned. I cannot carry trees. Possibly an obvious lesson, but to err etc :).
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341

MontyHall said:

It's sometimes hard but you should bear in mind that for many people this difference works in his favour rather than against him. On paper a billionaire businessman with great media skills is very appealing to the average guy as someone who can 'fix' Washington.
    For c.30% of the population, that may be true. But that's nowhere near enough to win an election. Trumps campaign is a pure core vote strategy.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''Poor Italy was flat in Q2. Renzi is going to struggle.''

When you think Europe managed this during extraordinarily lose monetary conditions, you see what a parlous state the European economy is in.

I don;t imagine a strong Euro is going to help any.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    "... spending dozens of hours playing a computer game ..."

Dozens of hours? Dozens? The first two playthroughs of Skyrim took up a tad over 1,000 hours. Then I discovered the player-made modifications which gave the game a whole new lease of life and another 1,000 hours were spent. Then they brought out the new version of Elite which took more than 600 hours before I finally got bored with it. Since July 2015 I have got into a WW2 flight sim, now that has been a real time sink. According to my log book I have spent more than 2,000 in virtual flight (along with about £1000 on controllers, monitors and sundry bits of kit).

Being retired is great.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Early computer games are like early films while something like Witcher 3 is more like a box set of The Wire. The best tell a good story and give you meaningful control over its outcome.

But each to their own: I cannot see the point of ballet for instance.

• Options
    John_M said:

PlatoSaid said:

Andrew Neil

Poor Italy was flat in Q2. Renzi is going to struggle.

For balance, UK construction has officially re-entered recession after two quarters of shrinkage. It's only 6% of the economy, but an overall Q3 contraction looks very likely.
    Construction will be revised up again later. It pretty much always is. I think we will still have growth in Q3, if only from the momentum from Q2 but it will be very modest with a pronounced slow down. The mood music from the rest of the EU is once again a drag on performance and nothing to be pleased about.
  • Options
    @MarqueeMark Arguably Sir John Major's biggest achievement was to start the process of getting public services being set service standards. The much-derided Cones Hotline was in fact the start of a sea change in public provider thinking.

With the double of the national lottery (with its related civic spending) and legalising Sunday trading, he did as much as any Prime Minister to increase the happiness of the general public.
This discussion has been closed.