Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Smith’s leadership chances fall to a 6% chance on Betfair f

SystemSystem Posts: 11,705
edited August 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Smith’s leadership chances fall to a 6% chance on Betfair following High Court ruling on who’ll be able to vote

It is very hard to come to a view about what will be the electoral impact of today’s judgement. There is so much overlap between the new members who can now vote and those who signed up under the £25 registered supporters scheme.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,618
    Since the outcome of the leadership election is now nailed on, the question is what happens subsequently. There is now a complete disconnect between the Labour membership on the one hand and the Labour MPs and 2015 Labour voters on the other, and it seems only a matter of time before that becomes formalised at Westminster. I think that the MPs will go as far as Bercow requires, whatever that is, to ensure that Corbyn ceases to be recognised as Leader of the Opposition and is replaced by one of their own. I sense that Corbyn/McDonnell/Momentum et al are to their very core sectarian creatures of the far left, they have no interest in maintaining the broad church of the Labour movement and will offer no significant compromise that would allow any reconciliation. Once the break is made, attitudes will only harden however much the MPs might hope for a route back. So very few current Labour MPs will end up fighting the next general election as Labour candidates, and I think that some form of realignment involving at least a loose arrangement with the Lib Dems will be sought. How that realignment fares will determine whether there is party grouping capable of challenging Conservative hegemony by 2025, since the Labour Party will never again aspire to government.

That outcome will happen because:
    1. Corbyn will be quite happy to be remembered as the person who delivered a parliamentary party of the far left with double-digit representation (beating the 2 seats the CPGB achieved in 1945). Even 20 or 30 seats for a far left party will be quite an achievement from a far left mindset.
    2. The 170 Labour MPs will see absolutely no way back after a crushing Corbyn win and will be looking around for a viable alternative.
    3. The Lib Dems are also at a low ebb and will likewise be looking for a way back.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    2nd like Smih?
  • Options
    FPT:
    Scott_P said:

@MrTCHarris: A handy guide to those MPs who, in nominating Corbyn, are responsible for the death of the Labour party. https://t.co/taTUqxOTq7

Isn't there a documentary about them in the cinemas this week? Suicide Squad, I think it's called.

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631
    Labour = fucked. I'm not sure this is an optimal development for our democracy.
  • Options
    DanSmithDanSmith Posts: 1,215
    Smith will win the registered supporters vote now.
  • Options
    grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234
    Live stream of the PLP hearing the news:

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @mrjohnofarrell: Suggested NEC compromise; new Labour members CAN vote in leadership but are banned from voting for Ed Balls on Strictly Come Dancing.
  • Options
    Rowing on today. Excellent.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,227
    Scott_P said:

@mrjohnofarrell: Suggested NEC compromise; new Labour members CAN vote in leadership but are banned from voting for Ed Balls on Strictly Come Dancing.

Do you get paid to appear on Strictly? Or is it just a very public way of simultaneously becoming fit and making a fool of yourself?

• Options
    Cyclefree said:

Do you get paid to appear on Strictly? Or is it just a very public way of simultaneously becoming fit and making a fool of yourself?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/strictly-come-dancing-bbc-paying-2159601
  • Options

FTSE100 boss pay up 10%. Nice work if you can get it.

Even I'm starting to get uncomfortable with this. And I'm quite dry.

It does feel wrong when profits rose by less and non-executive pay rose by just 2%. Shareholders need to start getting better value for money, I hope the new government will look into new remuneration rules for listed companies. It seems wrong that directors set the pay of other directors who set the pay of the remuneration committee.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    MaxPB said:

Back to Tories vs Whigs hopefully.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    Ladbrokes have moved their handicap to 5/6 over/under 60.5.

Pleased to have got on at over 59.5, I think a smidgen of value, risk to be assessed on a view of the book overall
  • Options
    DanSmith said:

Smith will win the registered supporters vote now.

Yes he may well do !
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151

Since the outcome of the leadership election is now nailed on, the question is what happens subsequently. There is now a complete disconnect between the Labour membership on the one hand and the Labour MPs and 2015 Labour voters on the other, and it seems only a matter of time before that becomes formalised at Westminster. I think that the MPs will go as far as Bercow requires, whatever that is, to ensure that Corbyn ceases to be recognised as Leader of the Opposition and is replaced by one of their own. I sense that Corbyn/McDonnell/Momentum et al are to their very core sectarian creatures of the far left, they have no interest in maintaining the broad church of the Labour movement and will offer no significant compromise that would allow any reconciliation. Once the break is made, attitudes will only harden however much the MPs might hope for a route back. So very few current Labour MPs will end up fighting the next general election as Labour candidates, and I think that some form of realignment involving at least a loose arrangement with the Lib Dems will be sought. How that realignment fares will determine whether there is party grouping capable of challenging Conservative hegemony by 2025, since the Labour Party will never again aspire to government.

1. Corbyn will be quite happy to be remembered as the person who delivered a parliamentary party of the far left with double-digit representation (beating the 2 seats the CPGB achieved in 1945). Even 20 or 30 seats for a far left party will be quite an achievement from a far left mindset.
    2. The 170 Labour MPs will see absolutely no way back after a crushing Corbyn win and will be looking around for a viable alternative.
    3. The Lib Dems are also at a low ebb and will likewise be looking for a way back.

I totally get the logic of this, but the problem is, how many of the current Labour MPs, were they to jump to the LibDems or a new party, would expect to hold their seats? If they can't do that, the obvious move seems to be to keep but ignore the whip, then give up at the next election.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,422

"go[ing] as far as Bercow requires" will mean leaving Labour outright and forming a new party. They might be kicked out or they might jump but no other alternative will lead to them gaining the LotO post - and they'd need over a hundred to jump ship to outnumber continuity Labour.

However, in broad terms, I think you're right. I don't see how this doesn't end in a split, followed by some Lib Dem link-up.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

I totally get the logic of this, but the problem is, how many of the current Labour MPs, were they to jump to the LibDems or a new party, would expect to hold their seats? If they can't do that, the obvious move seems to be to keep but ignore the whip, then give up at the next election.
    I don't see what benefit the Lib Dems would garner from such a move.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146
    John_M said:
    "The European Union is not behaving in a sincere manner with Turkey," Erdogan said in comments published by Le Monde.

And Turkey is not behaving in a sincere manner with the EU, notably their application for membership when they have no intention of meeting any of the entry criteria.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    John_M said:

Indeed. What it would mean is the lib dems merging and ceasing to exist in a larger SDP-type party.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

Back to Tories vs Whigs hopefully.
    No more CAP, they get to do the whole Corn Laws thing again.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,719
    Cyclefree said:

Scott_P said:

Quite a few contestants have got very friendly with their dance partners. Keep an eye on him, Yvette!
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    John_M said:

Relevance.
  • Options

John_M said:

Relevance.
    By being consumed by another larger party?
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,150

John_M said:

Indeed. What it would mean is the lib dems merging and ceasing to exist in a larger SDP-type party.
    Well, that has happened before, once or twice.
  • Options
    @corbynjokes: Why did the Labour Party cross the road?
    To get to the high court.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    Well Labour, this is going very well isn't it?
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    John_M said:

Who are the Lib Dems?
  • Options
    John_M said:

They survive and prosper.

At the moment, they are completely invisible because they've lost any legitimate claim to be a major party. 8 MPs and sub-10% vote shares is at best secondary party status and borderline minor party status. Boost MP numbers back into the 30s, 40s or beyond and they're suddenly back in the big time.

Of course there'd be a cost in terms of the further dilution of liberals by social democrats but the alternative is to risk a future of pure obscurity.
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    mwadams said:

John_M said:

When? Not in my lifetime.....
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,475
    Mr Herdson tgetting an infusion of ex-Lab blood might assist the Lib Dems in surviving but they might have more of a problem with prospering.
  • Options

John_M said:

Relevance.
    I'm terribly sorry, but I don't buy that argument at all. The Lib Dems may have a tough row to hoe, but they have a decent chunk of the electorate that should be open to persuasion. I'm not sure what Labour's retail offer is.
  • Options
    runnymede said:

John_M said:

Who are the Lib Dems?
    Ho! Ho! very funny!
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    runnymede said:

John_M said:

Who are the Lib Dems?
    The LibDems are proto-Tories. We know this because they were in government with the Conservatives as recently as last year. The PLP moderates (or realists) cozying up to the LDs would just confirm everything the Corbynites say about them.
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414
    Scott_P said:

@corbynjokes: Why did the Labour Party cross the road?
    To get to the high court.

Perhaps they could relocate their HQ to the Strand.
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,150
    edited August 2016
    PClipp said:

mwadams said:

John_M said:

It depends how you judge the split of the 25.4% of votes the Alliance got in 1983; although Liberal MPs outnumbered SDP MPs as it all shook out before the formal merger, the SDP probably won more votes. I suspect that you might see similar patterns of voting in a "new" Social Democratic Labour / LibDem alliance, to similar net effect.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,432
    Dan Hodges seems to have taken it very badly. He's now debating on twitter how to spend the tax cut he will get as Labour will not be elected in 2020. Talking about champagne.

Rather an over reaction. For start a tax cut in November might be a very good idea to help aggregate demand and help the economy overcome Brexit jitters.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    Anybody had any cold-calling yet, asking "Were you mis-sold a Labour Party membership?"
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Scott_P said:

Quite a few contestants have got very friendly with their dance partners. Keep an eye on him, Yvette!
    The choice of Eds partner will be very "interesting"!!

Joking aside I think it is a good move for him. It is all part of the detoxing of the Ed Balls brand.
    PLP leader in 2020??
  • Options
    mwadams said:

PClipp said:

mwadams said:

John_M said:

It depends how you judge the split of the 25.4% of votes the Alliance got in 1983; although Liberal MPs outnumbered SDP MPs as it all shook out before the formal merger, the SDP probably won more votes. I suspect that you might see similar patterns of voting in a "new" Social Democratic Labour / LibDem alliance, to similar net effect.
    In the 1983 there were Liberal candidates and SDP candidates, all fighting under the Alliance banner, so you don´t need to "judge the split", Mr Adams. You can work it out properly. I wouldn´t choose to do so myself - not worth the time.

On what grounds do you "expect" that the "SDP" (ci-devant Labour) would get more votes than Liberal Democrat candidates? They have no big names to lead them - certainly not of the stature of Roy Jenkins and Shirley Williams who led the SDP breakaway.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Scott_P said:

Joking aside I think it is a good move for him. It is all part of the detoxing of the Ed Balls brand.
    PLP leader in 2020??
    Don't see it. Labour have painted themselves into a corner with their leadership rules. Hence Hodges throwing a Meeks on Twitter.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Scott_P said:

PLP leader in 2020??
    So Ed Balls would rather do Dad-dancing on the telly, rather than make himself available to the Labour Party in its time of greatest crisis? And you think he still has a political future? Yeah, right.....
  • Options
    John_M said:

Cyclefree said:

Scott_P said:

PLP leader in 2020??
    Don't see it. Labour have painted themselves into a corner with their leadership rules. Hence Hodges throwing a Meeks on Twitter.
    Why does he care? He's not a party member. Or is he? Yes/No/Yes/No/Yes/No
  • Options
    HA!

@GeneralBoles: Cameron and Osborne in the front row doing the flatlining hand gesture as Ed's Paso Doble falls apart
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,168
    edited August 2016
    Obituary. The Labour Party 1900-September 2016.

Memorial to be held at Methodist Centrall Hall. Donations to be sent to The Peoples' Socialist Party care of Jeremy Corbyn or the Progressive Party care of Chuka Umunna dependent on preferences
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    There's no point for the PLP to carry on their doomed farce against Corbyn. End the leadership election, fork the party.
  • Options

There's no point for the PLP to carry on their doomed farce against Corbyn. End the leadership election, fork the party.

Labour should have remembered that vampires can't enter unless you invite them in. Now all they can do is float outside the electorate's bedroom window and scare the shit out of them.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Scott_P said:

PLP leader in 2020??
    So Ed Balls would rather do Dad-dancing on the telly, rather than make himself available to the Labour Party in its time of greatest crisis? And you think he still has a political future? Yeah, right.....
    Ed Balls is far too right-wing for the Corbynistas who now form a majority of Labour members and supporters
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Scott_P said:

PLP leader in 2020??
    Tipped here as next Labour leader, at 100/1:

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2016/06/26/might-balls-be-labours-answer-at-1001/

Obviously, the Batley & Spen route to this year's leadership is closed but if Corbyn does hold on to 2020 and if Balls were to return at that election, the bet would still be valid.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    I'm against changing the rules mid game.

Using the courts to either kick Corbyn out or de-facto Smith out, is not the proper way.

Anyway, Smith is now at proper levels in the betting markets.

As for those who think the Labour moderates have any chance of survival even by joining the LD, the example of the Alliance showed that it simply added to the Liberal vote almost uniformly with one or two exceptions.

Since yougov did a poll asking about it, and the moderates got only 1/4 of the Labour vote, you can make a calculation by adding 1/4 of Labour's vote to the LD in each seat and see what they get.

And most moderates are in safe Labour seats, so the likes of Angela Eagle in Liverpool have no chance.
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261
    Got to split, you can't support a leader you don't believe in. It's not like they can sit back and wait for another opportunity, Corbyn and his cronies are going to come up with ways to prevent this from happening again.

Corbyn is going to take that old party over the abyss, now it's just a case of how many he takes with him.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    John_M said:

Labour should have remembered that vampires can't enter unless you invite them in. Now all they can do is float outside the electorate's bedroom window and scare the shit out of them.
    :lol:

Brilliant analogy. :naughty:
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,432

Cyclefree said:

Scott_P said:

PLP leader in 2020??
    Tipped here as next Labour leader, at 100/1:

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2016/06/26/might-balls-be-labours-answer-at-1001/

Obviously, the Batley & Spen route to this year's leadership is closed but if Corbyn does hold on to 2020 and if Balls were to return at that election, the bet would still be valid.
    I'm on Ed for leader. And Strictly will help him with the public (but not Corbynista labour members I suspect who will reckon it is capitalistic nonsense).
  • Options
    PClipp said:

mwadams said:

PClipp said:

mwadams said:

John_M said:

In the 1983 there were Liberal candidates and SDP candidates, all fighting under the Alliance banner, so you don´t need to "judge the split", Mr Adams. You can work it out properly. I wouldn´t choose to do so myself - not worth the time.

On what grounds do you "expect" that the "SDP" (ci-devant Labour) would get more votes than Liberal Democrat candidates? They have no big names to lead them - certainly not of the stature of Roy Jenkins and Shirley Williams who led the SDP breakaway.
    In what way did they have Roy Jenkins and Shirley Williams in 1981, before the Limehouse Declaration? Neither was an MP at the time. A new SDP might easily attract the likes of Mandelson, (who was nearly attracted by the original one), and other big beasts of the Blair-Brown era.

if there were a new Labour split, the Lib Dems would be mad not to come to some arrangement with SDP2, which otherwise might well pull support from Farron's party.
  • Options
    I imagine Owen Smith will pull out of the leadership election this week. The Jezbollah excrescence becomes the firmament. Endgame.

The PLP now have no choice but to push the nuclear button.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,920
    Is the Labour Party just making this "contest" up as they go along? :smiley:
  • Options
    If the LDs and Labour moderate riff raff do come to an arrangement, then I'd hope/expect full PR (Or at least the FPTP+ system) to be the overriding priority for the Gov't.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    The Timed have the Tories winning a 90 seat majority once the boundaries are redrawn and constituency sizes equalised.

http://thetimes.co.uk/article/aaf9a394-5ccf-11e6-9bc8-dca5e34811f1

"The Tories are on course to win a 90-seat majority at the next general election, aided by boundary changes that favour the party.

Research conducted by the political website Electoral Calculus found that planned alterations to the size and make-up of constituencies would increase the Conservative majority from the current 12 seats to a comfortable 48-seat lead. Coupled with recent changes in the public’s voting intentions as support for Labour and Ukip slips, the net effect would give the Conservatives a majority of 90 seats in a smaller House of Commons."
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    Good afternoon, everybody.

Seems to me that setting a precedent of such basic injustice would have done the Labour party more damage than any leader, however useless/misguided.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

If the LDs and Labour moderate riff raff do come to an arrangement, then I'd hope/expect full PR (Or at least the FPTP+ system) to be the overriding priority for the Gov't.

Which government? The current one? Why?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

The Timed have the Tories winning a 90 seat majority once the boundaries are redrawn and constituency sizes equalised.

http://thetimes.co.uk/article/aaf9a394-5ccf-11e6-9bc8-dca5e34811f1

"The Tories are on course to win a 90-seat majority at the next general election, aided by boundary changes that favour the party.

Research conducted by the political website Electoral Calculus found that planned alterations to the size and make-up of constituencies would increase the Conservative majority from the current 12 seats to a comfortable 48-seat lead. Coupled with recent changes in the public’s voting intentions as support for Labour and Ukip slips, the net effect would give the Conservatives a majority of 90 seats in a smaller House of Commons."

Report from Electoral Calculus apparently.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3729026/Tories-track-HUGE-90-seat-majority-Theresa-waits-boundary-changes-calling-general-election.html
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

Because electoral reform is what is REALLY important for the country...

errr ok.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,207
    GIN1138 said:

Is the Labour Party just making this "contest" up as they go along? :smiley:

No, the courts are doing it for them.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100

PClipp said:

mwadams said:

PClipp said:

mwadams said:

John_M said:

In what way did they have Roy Jenkins and Shirley Williams in 1981, before the Limehouse Declaration? Neither was an MP at the time. A new SDP might easily attract the likes of Mandelson, (who was nearly attracted by the original one), and other big beasts of the Blair-Brown era.

if there were a new Labour split, the Lib Dems would be mad not to come to some arrangement with SDP2, which otherwise might well pull support from Farron's party.
    I don't think it's realistic to say that Lord Mandelson, also known as the notorious "Prince of Darkness", has any chance in any election.

Too many scandals, too much baggage.

Jenkins and Williams were actually lucky that they contested the seats of their choosing in by-elections, to maximize their chance of getting elected.
    The moderates don't have the luxury of switching to more favourable for them seats.

For instance Hilary Benn would have to abandon his seat where he is already an MP, to run even in the other side of the country, in a Lab-LD marginal (there are not many, realistically only 8 exist).
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    UKIP wars still ongoing, possible day in court for Steven Woolfe over impartiality of NEC members who excluded him from the ballot.
    http://order-order.com/2016/08/08/leaked-messages-reveal-conflicts-interest-ukip-nec/
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    edited August 2016
    @Pulpstar

'If the LDs and Labour moderate riff raff do come to an arrangement, then I'd hope/expect full PR (Or at least the FPTP+ system) to be the overriding priority for the Gov't.'

Electoral reform was massively rejected by 68% of voters only 5 years ago

• Options
    Paul_BedfordshirePaul_Bedfordshire Posts: 3,632
    edited August 2016
    So is this US airline really grounding all it's flights due to a computer failure or is that just a line fed by the spooks?
  • Options
    Certainly since they brought in minimum standards, Eric the Eel did nearly drown in 2000.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

If PR came in the Tory right would also split off and join UKIP, especially if May keeps us in the single market in some form
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

errr ok.
    Forget that it's not a priority, why would the party in power, the one that benefits the most from FPTP get rid of it? Seems like Lib Dem wishful thinking.
  • Options
    john_zims said:

@Pulpstar

'If the LDs and Labour moderate riff raff do come to an arrangement, then I'd hope/expect full PR (Or at least the FPTP+ system) to be the overriding priority for the Gov't.'

No. The alternate vote was.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Using the courts to either kick Corbyn out or de-facto Smith out, is not the proper way.

As for those who think the Labour moderates have any chance of survival even by joining the LD, the example of the Alliance showed that it simply added to the Liberal vote almost uniformly with one or two exceptions.

Since yougov did a poll asking about it, and the moderates got only 1/4 of the Labour vote, you can make a calculation by adding 1/4 of Labour's vote to the LD in each seat and see what they get.

And most moderates are in safe Labour seats, so the likes of Angela Eagle in Liverpool have no chance.

That yougov poll actually had the moderates and LDs combined on 19%, just 2% behind Corbyn Labour on 21%
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

errr ok.
    Forget that it's not a priority, why would the party in power, the one that benefits the most from FPTP get rid of it? Seems like Lib Dem wishful thinking.
    I'm talking about the very much odds against Alliance/SDP2 2020 Gov't...
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    Pulpstar said:

john_zims said:

@Pulpstar

Yes, but it was proposed because it was the smallest change and hence considered to be the most acceptable to the public. Nobody actually wanted it.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

john_zims said:

@Pulpstar

Yes, but it was proposed because it was the smallest change and hence considered to be the most acceptable to the public. Nobody actually wanted it.
    Really I don't have the strength >.>
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    Pulpstar said:

FPTP forces Oppositions to get their shit together and look like a competent government in waiting. If you just allow people to vote against the status quo, projecting their own particular preferences for the future and hoping to cobble something together afterwards, then that's how Brexit happens ;)
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

So long Labour,
    we knew thee well;
    but now you descend,
    into the pit of hell.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

Speedy said:

That yougov poll actually had the moderates and LDs combined on 19%, just 2% behind Corbyn Labour on 21%
    That's quite a respectable number when you bear in mind that the Tories are probably at their high watermark, and assuming they drop back a decent chunk of their votes should go to the centre.

Still seems like FPTP would kill them and bury them in a hole though.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

errr ok.
    I'm talking about the very much odds against Alliance/SDP2 2020 Gov't...
    Oh well that's even less likely than the Tories doing something. They'd have to win first!
  • Options
    Speedy said:

PClipp said:

mwadams said:

PClipp said:

mwadams said:

I don't think it's realistic to say that Lord Mandelson, also known as the notorious "Prince of Darkness", has any chance in any election.

Too many scandals, too much baggage.

Jenkins and Williams were actually lucky that they contested the seats of their choosing in by-elections, to maximize their chance of getting elected.
    The moderates don't have the luxury of switching to more favourable for them seats.

For instance Hilary Benn would have to abandon his seat where he is already an MP, to run even in the other side of the country, in a Lab-LD marginal (there are not many, realistically only 8 exist).
    Mandelson wouldn't need to contest an election; he could serve in the Lords. I'm not sure if he even could fight an election - I know peers can retire from the Lords but don't know whether they can then seek election to the Commons; it's not the same as disclaiming an hereditary peerage.

As for Benn and the like, well, that all depends on how the vote would shift over the next 3-4 years. Certainly, he has a safe Labour seat right now but is it one with any great enthusiasm for Corbyn's Labour?
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,727

Pulpstar said:

FPTP forces Oppositions to get their shit together and look like a competent government in waiting. If you just allow people to vote against the status quo, projecting their own particular preferences for the future and hoping to cobble something together afterwards, then that's how Brexit happens ;)
    So that's how Brexit happens, thank goodness we don't have PR!
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

errr ok.
    They wouldn't -- but groups of MPs in that party might see advantages for themselves, much as some on the left are. The question is whether the XXX group can have more influence in formal coalition agreements than currently when their own big tent party leaderships can ignore them.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

No, they'd need to force that via hung parliament talks. There'll be no enthusiasm for it from the Tories (not only from partisan reasons).
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

No, they'd need to force that via hung parliament talks. There'll be no enthusiasm for it from the Tories (not only from partisan reasons).
    I probably should have added "In the (unlikely) event of an Alliance/SDP2 majority" to the start of my first post on this. Seriously of course I know the Conservatives would never go for it >>>>>>>>>>>>.>>>>>>>>>>>
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Certainly since they brought in minimum standards, Eric the Eel did nearly drown in 2000.
    I once met Eric the Eel, in a hotel in Bioko Island, Equatorial Guinea.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,071

Cyclefree said:

Scott_P said:

Oohhh... Does this mean Yvette might soon become single?
  • Options
    BannedInParisBannedInParis Posts: 2,191
    tlg86 said:

A serious point: Go to a pool. See how long it takes you to swim 100 m freestyle.

He's still likely to be faster than you.

I'm a regular swimmer, admittedly not the fastest but I can do a good few miles, and he'd probably have me at the turns -_-
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369
    edited August 2016
    6% looks about right odds to me. The weakness of the "one anti-Corbyn candidate" strategy is that any single candidate can't unite all the anti-Corbyn vote. Supporters of Smith argue that

(a) Corbyn's policies are broadly right
    (b) Smith really agrees with them (except Trident) as he says and
    (c) Corbynism is most successfully represented by someone other than Corbyn.

The number of people who agree with all three elements of this is relatively small, which is why most Labour MPs are not campaigning for anyone.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

A serious point: Go to a pool. See how long it takes you to swim 100 m freestyle.

I'm a regular swimmer, admittedly not the fastest but I can do a good few miles, and he'd probably have me at the turns -_-
    If I remember rightly, he was at world record pace for the first 50m but then really struggled in the final 25m.

I've never swum in a 50m pool, I'd like to do so one day.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Cyclefree said:

Scott_P said:

Fancy your chances Robert ;) ?
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383

tlg86 said:

*impressed face*
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    http://electoralcalculus.co.uk/homepage.html

Fun predictor tool on here for the projected 600 seat boundaries. however, getting the Tories beyond 2 in Scotland is nigh on impossible - which shows the weakness of models based on just uniform swing operating.
  • Options
    DaemonBarberDaemonBarber Posts: 1,626

So is this US airline really grounding all it's flights due to a computer failure or is that just a line fed by the spooks?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/08/08/computer_fault_takes_down_delta/
  • Options

Computer system failures have grounded many airlines in the past, so it's not inconcievable.

A lot of the airlines are moving off proprietary stems these days, and moving onto standard ones built by Amadeus in Spain. I think delta is still running their own...
  • Options
    felix said:

http://electoralcalculus.co.uk/homepage.html

Fun predictor tool on here for the projected 600 seat boundaries. however, getting the Tories beyond 2 in Scotland is nigh on impossible - which shows the weakness of models based on just uniform swing operating.

The three borders, and Murphy's old seat would be my guess for the 3 next potential Tory gains.
  • Options
    John_M said:

rcs1000 said:

Cyclefree said:

Scott_P said:

Fancy your chances Robert ;) ?
    If I wasn't happily married...
  • Options

Ahhhhhhhh. Triggered by the mention of 'leap second' in that story. The bane of any multi-national software developer's life.
  • Options
    John_M said:

Ahhhhhhhh. Triggered by the mention of 'leap second' in that story. The bane of any multi-national software developer's life.
    I'm sure you've read this one then:
    http://infiniteundo.com/post/25326999628/falsehoods-programmers-believe-about-time
    Date and time are a software nightmare!
This discussion has been closed.