Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

2»

Comments

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,791

As a regular lurker I can't help laughing at OGH going on about Ed not looking weak in amidst the Labour meltdown. Think OGH needs a lie down.

The news cycle has not been kind to OGH.....mind you, some of his sweeping generalisations have done him no favours either....

• Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    Bonnie Prince Gordon
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Another front page on Cameron's Ed's weakness:

https://twitter.com/suttonnick/status/352901067467534336/photo/1
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369
    It's all undeniably awkward, but destined to blow over, since neither Ed nor Len are going anywhere. Unlike some I think it will create a dip in Labour's poll rating (especially in polls that measure certainty to vote) for the usual reason that people are annoyed by division, but I doubt if it will last.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

A simplistic view but then what did we expect.

A crisis shouldn't be regarded as a problem but an opportunity.

Scott_P said:

The fight with Len is great news for Ed, right?

@GdnPolitics
    Labour crisis as Tom Watson quits and Unite union claims stitch-up http://bit.ly/17OMtyw

A crisis made by ed miliband,his weak leadership led to this crisis.

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,609
    If ICM and Mori follow their 4 week cycles, they should be polling this weekend, and we should get their polls on Mon-Wed.
  • Options
    edited July 2013

Scott_P said:

The fight with Len is great news for Ed, right?

@GdnPolitics
    Labour crisis as Tom Watson quits and Unite union claims stitch-up http://bit.ly/17OMtyw

Unless it involves Cameron...then its a problem and a sign of his weakness (sic)....

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,467
    edited July 2013

"My friends, as I have discovered myself, there are no disasters, only opportunities. And, indeed, opportunities for fresh disasters." - Boris, 2004.
  • Options
    peterbusspeterbuss Posts: 109
    OGH- down here in Kent, yesterday DC opened the biggest windfarm off the coast in europe and made a verty good speech on the need for more renewable energy. Some staying stum on climate change I must say!
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    edited July 2013
    Neil said:

@Alanbrooke

So 1 day actions dont count except for when they boost the strike day numbers under the Tories in which case they do?

Not really Neil it's what the germans would call a Warnstreik. A day out for the lads amd maybe get the fire going and grill some sausages. It makes a point but hurts no-one. To put it in context the 70s had an average of 13 million lost days per annum , the 80s about 7 million and the noughties only had 2 years which exceeded a million. So bigging up a million looks a bit desperate given the historical precedents.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    A genius strategy to defuse the crisis...

@DPJHodges
    Labour now appear to be spinning Tom Watson was sacked after all.
  • Options
    Got to admit,tim and mike Smithson have been really poor on they post today.
  • Options
    Stuart_DicksonStuart_Dickson Posts: 3,557
    Next UK General Election - market movements tonight

Most Seats market: Lab lengthening - now 5/8 at Betfair
    Overall Majority market: Lab Maj lengthening - now 24/17 at Betfair
    SNP Seats market: +6.5 shortening - now 4/5 at Ladbrokes
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983

So bigging up a million looks a bit desperate given the historical precedents.

Sigh, you were the one bigging up the single year with more than a million days lost due to a single one day action across the public sector.

If you've actually looked at the data you'll have seen that the days lost have been reduced since 1990 under Governments of both colours and in no way more reduced under the last Labour Government (or earlier Labour Governments) which was your main point.

• Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    My own little Tom Watson conspiracy theory over was he, wasn't he sacked.

- Ed Miliband didn't publicly defend him in yesterday's PMQs because Cameron didn't bring him up. Ed must've been relieved at this.

- Ed Miliband's briefing papers which contained a planned defence of Tom Watson are leaked.

- Tom Watson resigns.

- Ed MIliband now can't say he sacked Watson because onlu yesterday he was about to defend him

Hmm, I wonder who leaked those briefing papers.

Ed didn't mention Tom Watson yesterday, did he?
  • Options
    It's lucky for Ed that he took "swift and decisive" action over this early in the week, or he might really be in the shit tonight.

Oh, wait...
  • Options
    Stuart_DicksonStuart_Dickson Posts: 3,557
    Ishmael_X said:

Daily Mash: A bullet-point guide to Labour's troubles in a place called 'Falkirk'

The Labour Party is a poisonous collection of chippy, tribal cretins, none of whom are capable of running a bath.

This is especially true in Scotland.

Falkirk is in Scotland.

Phew! Just as well that the future of the Union doesn't depend on that bunch of cretins then.

Ooh... err... wait a minute...
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

It's lucky for Ed that he took "swift and decisive" action over this early in the week, or he might really be in the shit tonight.

Oh, wait...

lol
  • Options
    Fenster said:

My own little Tom Watson conspiracy theory over was he, wasn't he sacked.

- Ed Miliband didn't publicly defend him in yesterday's PMQs because Cameron didn't bring him up. Ed must've been relieved at this.

- Ed Miliband's briefing papers which contained a planned defence of Tom Watson are leaked.

- Tom Watson resigns.

- Ed MIliband now can't say he sacked Watson because onlu yesterday he was about to defend him

Ed didn't mention Tom Watson yesterday, did he?

There's a simple explanation for those briefing papers leaking.

The aide ran out of bogroll, and let's be honest, given Ed's performance yesterday, those papers were best of being used as bog roll
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    edited July 2013

It certainly is by wee Dougie and Murphy. Of course the fact that they are involved in all this should be setting alarm bells off for little Ed but is he smart enough to realise the connection? Doubtful. We'll see if wee Dougie gets that election strategy job or not. Particularly if little Ed forgets who was behind the Blairite whisper campaigns against him early on.

The only thing more amusing than that would be for little Ed to listed to the likes of Dan Hodges. As big a joke as he is it's amazing how heavily the swivel-eyed loons seem to rely on his 'sage wisdom'. ;)

• Options
    The gaiety will continue...Stewart Jackson MP tweets:

"Delighted to hear that @NadineDorriesMP has been readopted as Conservative candidate for the 2015 general election tonight
  • Options

The Independent calls it a crisis

The Guardian call it a crisis

Why can't the right wing press print how fantastic it is for Ed?
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    Neil said:

So bigging up a million looks a bit desperate given the historical precedents.

Sigh, you were the one bigging up the single year with more than a million days lost due to a single one day action across the public sector.

If you've actually looked at the data you'll have seen that the days lost have been reduced since 1990 under Governments of both colours and in no way more reduced under the last Labour Government (or earlier Labour Governments) which was your main point.

Sigh back, then you've misunderstood what I said. My point was and is that Unions didn;t pushed induistrial action against a Labour government to protect their members interests. Whereas as soon as Labout goes ex govt the willingness to resort to strikes increases, hence the sudden jump in days lost.

• Options
    Mick_Pork said:

It certainly is by wee Dougie and Murphy. Of course the fact that they are involved in all this should be setting alarm bells off for little Ed but is he smart enough to realise the connection? Doubtful. We'll see if wee Dougie gets that election strategy job or not.
    Just as well Labour's troubles are only making headlines in England:

https://twitter.com/Gareth_Rose/status/352902455492759552/photo/1
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    edited July 2013
    peterbuss said:

OGH- down here in Kent, yesterday DC opened the biggest windfarm off the coast in europe and made a verty good speech on the need for more renewable energy. Some staying stum on climate change I must say!

Don't bring up awkward things like facts and reality... Labour have said he hasn't and therefore he hasn't.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@DPJHodges

You shouldn't mock Scott. It takes real guts to sack someone who has resigned. Milliband = Man Of Steel. The Stalin to Unite's Len-in if you will.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Lib Dem gain Aylsham from Conservatives LD 688 Con 501 Lab 188
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,324
    Fenster said:

Yes, this is starting to stink to high heaven. I suspect Ed was planning a spin offensive against the unions, stung as he's been from the start by accusations that he's in their pocket. He's also desperate to get Murdoch and The Sun back on board. However, union elements with the PLP and elsewhere got wind of it, and departed amid a flurry of embittered press releases and p*ss-taking resignation letters. Their aim was to humiliate and destabilize Ed before he could mount his propaganda coup. Ed now looks broken and forlorn.
  • Options
    Angela Eagle draws the short straw....
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    Scott_P said:

The Independent calls it a crisis

The Guardian call it a crisis

Why can't the right wing press print how fantastic it is for Ed?

They're not 'in' on the grand plan that Tim suggests Ed and Len have cooked up to make the former look more man than geek.
  • Options
    edited July 2013

Mick_Pork said:

It certainly is by wee Dougie and Murphy. Of course the fact that they are involved in all this should be setting alarm bells off for little Ed but is he smart enough to realise the connection? Doubtful. We'll see if wee Dougie gets that election strategy job or not.

I posted a link regarding scotland already because the implications for SLAB are clear and far of far more consequence than PB tories wetting themselves because they hear the word "union" in this story.

The unions are symptom not cause. If there was harmony over the direction SLAB and scottish labour MPs were taking then it would not be an issue. The fact that it has escalated to 'funny business' shall we say (and on both sides lest anyone be under the illusion this is all about one type of candidate getting the sh*t end of the stick) is merely a measure of the chasm that still exists between the Blairites and the Brownites.

I posted a while back that the venue of that battle had merely changed from westminster to scotland and this is just yet more proof of it.
  • Options
    Not clear what's more embarrassing for Bolivia - their 'our President was kidnapped' story unravelling.....or the fact that the aircraft is called FAB1....I think Lady Penelope should be told...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2013/07/03/evo-morales-controversial-flight-over-europe-minute-by-heavily-disputed-minute/
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    Newcastle

Lab 386, UKIP 254, Con 58, TUSC 14

• Options
    RichardNabaviRichardNabavi Posts: 3,413
    edited July 2013
    It rather seems to me that Ed Miliband's handling of this farrago could not have been worse.

1. He should have taken action weeks ago, when the Falkirk concerns first emerged.
    2. Instead he did very little, allowed colleagues to insult Eric Joyce for raising the concerns, and generally dithered.
    3. We don't know exactly what was behind Tom Watson's resignation, but, whatever it was, Ed M dithered over accepting it.
    4. That would have been OK, if the dithering had been of the 'I hope you can stay in post, why don't you take a couple of days to think about it' variety. Instead, he seems to have decided to try to keep Watson in post at all costs.
    5. He chose utterly fatuous themes for PMQs yesterday, knowing full well they were fatuous and that Cammo would hit back with the Unite comments.
    6. He compounded the error by preparing fatuous lines about how great Tom Watson is, which was an utterly bizarre thing to do.
    7. Such was the chaos that these fatuous lines were left lying around in the loo. Was this really coincidence? With red-on-red smearing in full flow, it seems a bit unlikely.
    8. And today he really blew it badly with the risible line that he wanted to sack Watson all along. Really, Ed? In that case, why did you have two separate pre-packaged responses ready for yesterday, strongly saying the diametric opposite?

He's annoyed the unions, he's annoyed the Blairites,he's annoyed the Brownites, he's got every political journalist in the country running round saying how weak he is, and he's allowed Watson to make a laughing stock of him as well.

No doubt Buddha Ed's zen-like calm will allow him to contemplate this mess with equanimity, but I don't think his colleagues will be quite so unconcerned.
  • Options

Angela Eagle confirms that Ed decisively and swiftly dithered over Tom's resignation for days.

Weak, weak, weak.
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

Mick_Pork said:

I posted a while back that the venue of that battle had merely changed from westminster to scotland and this is just yet more proof of it.
    As Simon Schama pointed out, the "English" Civil war started in Scotland....

• Options
    @Scott_P

I think Angela Eagle did very well. They should make her Shadow Minister for the Today Programme.
  • Options

Newcastle

I have the Labour figure as 387 . A poor result for UKIP

• Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,021
    I really don't know why the TUSC keep standing in local elections. They almost always get humiliating results.
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

The fact that it has escalated to 'funny business' shall we say (and on both sides lest anyone be under the illusion this is all about one type of candidate getting the sh*t end of the stick)

There were reports yesterday (by Crick) that Gemma Doyle's husband was also recruiting (11 IIRC) members for himself in Falkirk

But as I worked a lot today and I am a bit tired...I am not sure I got your point. Do you think the fact it's happening in Falkirk and not in a Welsh or English CLPs is not a pure coincidence but related to the state of SLAB?
  • Options
    @Andy_JS

They're standing to create the conditions for the revolution. I wouldnt get on the wrong side of them if I were you.
  • Options
    Lib Dem gain Abingdon from Conservatives LD 479 Con 378 Lab 96
  • Options

He's annoyed the unions, he's annoyed the Blairites,he's annoyed the Brownites, he's got every political journalist in the country running round saying how weak he is, and he's allowed Watson to make a laughing stock of him as well.

But he's not 'weak' - no sireee! That's that other fella - you know - the Prime Minister.....

• Options
    @Mark

Labour council leader agrees with you and gives 387 as the Labour vote.
  • Options

Newcastle

I have the Labour figure as 387 . A poor result for UKIP

But zero votes for the LibDems, Mark?
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

Newcastle

That looks like a very poor result for UKIP

• Options
    Oxford West & Abingdon is one of the few seats where the LDs have realistic hopes of a gain in 2015.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262

It rather seems to me that Ed Miliband's handling of this farrago could not have been worse.

8. And today he really blew it badly with the risible line that he wanted to sack Watson all along. .

Presumably, he's now got Watson standing outside his tent, pissing in.

Strong, strong, strong.
  • Options

But he's not 'weak' - no sireee! That's that other fella - you know - the Prime Minister.....

*chortle*
    ­Barbeque Dave gives his MPs a taste for EU victory: PM flips burgers during event in Downing Street

Prime Minister hosts Conservative get together to soothe relations

Labour and Lib Dems boycotting tomorrow's Commons vote on EU

Mr Cameron has promised an in-out referendum by 2017

Tories punished as 'rebels' for backing referendum now invited for bash

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2356219/David-Cameron-hosts-Downing-Street-barbecue-Tory-MPs-kept-London-EU-referendum-vote.htm
  • Options
    tim said:

Shortage of primary school places.

Fact Check:

"Under the Labour government, babies were being born at the fastest rate since the 1950s. The population explosion began in 2001, but it wasn’t until 2008 that the Office for National Statistics flagged it up to the Department for Education and the local authorities – those responsible for planning ahead for schools.

Meanwhile, between 2004 and 2010, Labour cut the number of primary school places by 5 per cent – wiping out any extra spaces that might have absorbed the population growth. And during that period, Labour cut school funding by £150m.

When the DfE was finally warned about the population rise by the ONS in 2008, it reacted “too slowly”, a cross-party committee of MPs found.

Blame who you like, but Labour left a ticking time bomb."

http://blogs.channel4.com/factcheck/factcheck-whos-to-blame-for-rising-primary-school-class-sizes/13836

As, indeed, some of us were arguing......
  • Options

Newcastle

But zero votes for the LibDems, Mike?
  • Options
    Just 43 homicides in Greater London during the first half of the year.

If that pattern continues, the rate will once again reach a new low this year:

http://www.murdermap.co.uk/Investigate.asp
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Oxford West & Abingdon is one of the few seats where the LDs have realistic hopes of a gain in 2015.

Who could vote against our Nicola ;-)

http://www.arashfatemian.com/wp-content/uploads/nicola.jpg

• Options
    tim said:

@RichardNabavi

Fatuous themes at PMQs

Shortage of primary school places.

A Gove worshipper speaks.

That would have been OK if he'd stuck to it and actually had a serious point. But he was just using it as a hook for insults which backfired badly.
  • Options
    Swansea

Clay (Lab) 1368
    Hatton (Con) 236
    Rees (LD) 113
    Thomas (NF) 108

Clay is the former MP for Sunderland North in the 80s and acted as Reg Keys' agent in Sedgefield 2005.
  • Options
    A mainstream party never gets zero votes. It must be a typing error.

The closest in May was the LDs getting 13 votes in Bicester West.
  • Options
    IOSIOS Posts: 1,450
    A tory candidate once got zero votes.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Andy_JS said:

LibDems didn't bother to stand in the Newcastle under Lyme by-election today - ergo, zero votes.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369
    Two Tory seats lost to the LibDems, comfortable Labour holds from all comers - the electoral impact of the Tory spin is not immediately apparent.
  • Options
    IOS! You've survived the internal blood-letting. So far ;)
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

LibDems didn't bother to stand in the Newcastle under Lyme by-election today - ergo, zero votes.
    Ditto UKIP in Abingdon , Aylsham and Swansea

• Options

Newcastle

[Yawn] Vote Shares

Lab 54% (+17)
    UKIP 35% (+7)
    Con 8% (-12)
    TUSC 4% (+4)
    LD DNS (-16)

Well if its poor for UKIP (eventhough they increased their vote share by one fifth) its a bloody disaster for the Coalition parties......
  • Options

Newcastle

Seem to be replacing LD/Con as main opposition oop north though.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Come the GE its looking like Labour Gain OGH.
  • Options
    Neil
    Got to say I am very sad to see Tom leave his post. But he is a fighter and not a quitter and will be back :-)
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Ditto UKIP in Abingdon , Aylsham and Swansea

You started it - you said Newcastle-u-L. was a "poor result for UKIP" when you guys didn't even stand!
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    IOS said:

Neil
    Got to say I am very sad to see Tom leave his post. But he is a fighter and not a quitter and will be back :-)

Tom is a three time quitter, IOS.

Are you saying he'll be back to quit again?

• Options
    Neil

Also as much as this must be fun for the Tories it doesn't change the basics. It's on the ground campaigning that wins elections. Not blog posts, tweets or press endorsements.
  • Options
    IOS said:

Neil

Precisely.

After all he has form.
  • Options
    @IOS

I even posted something related to the groundwar earlier in the thread. It was specially for you ;)
  • Options

Newcastle

[Yawn] Vote Shares

Lab 54% (+17)
    UKIP 35% (+7)
    Con 8% (-12)
    TUSC 4% (+4)
    LD DNS (-16)

Well if its poor for UKIP (eventhough they increased their vote share by one fifth) its a bloody disaster for the Coalition parties......
    It is a ward UKIP won easily in 2007 . The vote share changes you give are in fact incorrect . The result in 2011 was Lab 471 UKIP 431 Con 112 so the UKIP vote share was down . . I think for some reason you are giving the changes from 2010 .
  • Options
    ah Neil I missed it, might have cheered me up.

I know Tories won't want to hear it but Tom is a really really nice bloke. Great for a drink and passionate it what he believes in.
  • Options
    edited July 2013

Do you think the fact it's happening in Falkirk and not in a Welsh or English CLPs is not a pure coincidence but related to the state of SLAB?

Do I think Labour fiefdoms in scotland are ripe for such 'funny business'? Well we could always check with Glasgow council to see how squeaky clean things are there?

You misunderstand the SLAB/Scottish labour connection. This has exposed the likes of Lamont and Sarwar yet again as little more than impotent bystanders as little ED struggles to cope. Yet they too are struggling with the same deep divisions over direction exemplified by the Brown Blair chasm that simply will not go away.

When little Ed launched his "root and branch reform" of scottish labour he did it seemingly oblivious to the fact that he and his command structure was part of the problem. It was hardly all Gray's fault since little Ed still gave the orders. That situation still persists and though it might suit his purposes to paint this farce as all the fault out of control unions he won't be able to keep that up if the Blairites overplay their hand or the Brownites hit back.

It is most acute in scotland because that's where the uber-Blairites and Brownites are still fighting their proxy battles.
  • Options
    tim said:

MrJones said:

Newcastle

Seem to be replacing LD/Con as main opposition oop north though.
    Won't win any seats.
    But will cost Tories marginals in Yorks and Lancs
    maybe, still interesting though
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    IOS said:

Neil

Also as much as this must be fun for the Tories it doesn't change the basics. It's on the ground campaigning that wins elections. Not blog posts, tweets or press endorsements.

And a leader of a party that doesn't look weak,and a party that wins on the economic argument,not a party that throws it's 5 point plan away because it mostly agree's with the governing party on the economy(or lost the argument)

Oh that last point must also make ed balls look weak ;-)

• Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited July 2013
    @tim

You would post anything at all if it diverted attention from what was going on within Labour and the Unions.
    FWIW.. frankly it doesn't matter a monkeys toss who becomes the next Govt, they are all as bad as each other, but Ed Miliband is the worst of them all, yes, even worse than Clegg.
  • Options
    Tyke

Hate to say it mate but that don't matter as much as you think. In fact the whole weak thing you are wasting your time with.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    @IOS

Bollocks

You don't think the Blair "weak weak weak" meme damaged Major..???? Live in the real world.
  • Options
    I think 14 years of Tory government damaged Major. I think Blair managed to convince the press that a few lines of his did all of it.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    electoral fact: the LibDems won the most votes across the city of Oxford in 2010, but won neither of its parliamentary seats....
  • Options
    CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805
    Alan's jumped the shirt shark. He looks like Amy Turtle.
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    Scott_P said:

Mock the Week are currently mocking Ed Miliband.

"Ed Miliband's approval rating is so low, it is almost as bad as his approval rating within his own family"

His great week gets better,

Dara O'Brien also mocking the Political Lobby's fascination with where Osborne purchased his burger last week. Also highlighted Eric Pickles tongue in cheek picture alongside a salad. :)

• Options
    Carola said:

My Grandma had a sofa like that in the 70s
  • Options
    Rod

Gotta love first past the post.
  • Options
    @Mick_Pork

I still think one of the problems for SLAB is that many old Brownites and Blairite flag carriers comes from Scotland. And another, related to the previous point, is that too many Scottish MPs used to be big Westminster beasts.

Compared and contrast with Welsh Labour. Technically they had the same relationship as SLAB with UK Labour in terms of rules and commands, but you don't usually hear many fights or pseudo fights between Westminster and Cardiff Bay groups. WLAB is not known for its biggest fresh new ideas but because it's quite "managerial". That allows them to keep it going quite smoothly. If you aren't bright, be at least diligent and keep your house in order. Welsh Labour didn't have in the last decade many big beasts at Westminster though. Peter Hain was the highest profile MP but even they had little regard for him. They didn't have AMs leaving Cardiff Bay for Westminster either.

I'm quite tired tonight, so, sorry for grammar mistakes and senseless thoughts.
  • Options
    CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805

Carola said:

My Grandma had a sofa like that in the 70s
    It looks like he left a couple of cushions up it.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

electoral fact: the LibDems won the most votes across the city of Oxford in 2010, but won neither of its parliamentary seats....

By "most" I assume you mean a Plurality?

:)
  • Options

Well of course. They got 38% across the two seats. Under AV they would probably have won both.

Under PR^2 they would have won one. And voters could have ditched Evan Harris while still retaining a LibDem seat...
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,175
    Katie Hopkins on This Morning today making the Bullingdon Club sound egalitarian!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edZjdgU0asM
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    Scott_P said:

@DPJHodges

So far in this saga, we have had Tom Watson say he wanted to resign but was asked to stay on, but then he resigned anyway? And now its being spun that he was sacked?

Move over Vichy Pollard, its now the Labour party who own 'yeah, but no, but yeah, but no'. Just wait to see where the Labour spin stops to see which one it lands on. :)

• Options
    edited July 2013
    RodCrosby said:

Well of course. They got 38% across the two seats.
    In that case they would have won the whole city (if one combined seat) under FPTP!

Are you including the "and Abingdon" bit of Oxford West?

• Options
    edited July 2013
    And yet, yet, Labour won 35% of the vote for the Oxford City local election held the same day in 2010... (LDs 31%).
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @AndyJS

'Oxford West & Abingdon is one of the few seats where the LDs have realistic hopes of a gain in 2015.'

Was that before or after Clegg reneged on his student fee pledge?
  • Options
    edited July 2013

In that case they would have won the whole city (if one combined seat) under FPTP!

Are you including the "and Abingdon" bit of Oxford West?

Yes, I'm including the AB of OXWAB. I'm not au fait enough with the city boundary to say definitely whether a Lib Dem plurality existed there also...

In any case, under any sensible system they should have won one seat.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    Did someone mention Ed's strong leadership?

'New Falkirk twist: Now Labour refuse to commit to pass evidence of law-breaking to the police
    04/07/2013, 07:00:33 AM
    by Atul Hatwal

Another day, another Falkirk West farrago. Labour has now managed to tie itself in knots over what to do with evidence of illegal activities, uncovered as a result of the party’s inquiries.

The current position is that Labour will not commit to handing over any evidence of suspected law-breaking to the police or relevant authorities.

To recap, this sorry affair was kicked off when local Unite members complained to the party about being recruited into Labour without their knowledge.

In late May, the Sunday Herald carried details of one of the letters of complaint, originally sent in March, that ultimately triggered the NEC inquiry,

“Myself and two family members have been enrolled by Unite…I or my family did not fill in or sign any forms and wish to know what information the party holds about my family… I have concerns as to the way Unite in Falkirk are recruiting party members.”

On this basis, two laws appear to have been broken – the 1998 Data Protection Act and the 2006 Fraud Act.

Just over a month ago Uncut reported that angry members in Falkirk West were considering reporting Unite to the Information Commissioner because of a breach of their data protection rights.

Under the terms of the Act, each individual must have agreed before their personal details are passed to a different organisation.

At the point where Unite members’ personal details were registered with the Labour party, without their consent being first granted, the law will have been broken.

Then, yesterday Uncut reported on the likelihood of a breach of the Fraud Act. Whoever completed the bogus applications and validated them would have contravened section 2 of the Act under the terms of “false misrepresentation”

Submitting completed forms to the Labour party, without the new members’ consent, would have constituted false misrepresentation.

Two laws, two breaches. One to do with peoples’ rights over their personal information, the other with the act of someone deliberately falsifying membership forms.'

• Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596
    “false misrepresentation” is that not a tad tautological?
  • Options
    O/T I have just been VI'd by YouGov. Supplementary questions on Ed M and unions, BBC pay and how you would vote on a fictional European election with ballot paper included.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Has PB been down overnight ....

Mike - I keep telling you to rub in the hair tonic not drink it !!
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,924
    @ smithersjones

As you haven't responded to Mark Senior re the change in vote percentages in the Newcastle council sward can I assume that Mark's figures are therefore correct?

If so isn't this really the sort of seat that UKIP ought to moving on to win rather than Labour widenng its majority significantly?
This discussion has been closed.