Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Cyclefree suggests that Smith and Corbyn go back to Labour’

SystemSystem Posts: 11,683
edited August 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Cyclefree suggests that Smith and Corbyn go back to Labour’s roots

The current fight for the leadership of the Labour Party seems so far to be presented as a choice between who will make the better leader, with the requirements of leadership being defined either as the person most in tune with the membership or the person most able to win votes from non-members.  Nothing unusual about this, you might think.  There seems to be very little difference on policy, as S…

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    edited August 2016
    I think the axiom about Budgets should apply here, if it affects negatively people making less than 35k pounds a year, do not do it.

Whether it's immigration, taxes, spending, or social policy.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897
    2nd like Pakistan?
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    FPT

@Indigo

"The government argued that Iraq was armed to the teeth with WMD, had they not been lying, and frankly at the time who are we to gainsay people in receipt of supposed accurate national intelligence estimates, would that have constituted a threat to vital national interests ?"

In my view, no. A credible threat has to consist of the means to carry it out and the will/intention to do so. Saddam was definitely a very nasty piece of work but in 2002 what evidence was there that he wanted to harm the UK's vital national interests? Even if he had been stuffed up to the gills with WMD, there was not, as far as I am aware, any evidence that he was an actual, credible threat to the UK's vital national interests.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,000
    Speedy said:

I think the axiom about Budgets should apply here, if it affects negatively people making less than 35k pounds a year, do not do it.

Well: moving to a contribution based system of benefits would be short term bad for people earning less than 35k per year, but would probably be long-term good. What do you think?
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,008
    PB would *love* Labour to slaughter its sacred cows while the Tories protect their own.

If Labour tells every single one of its support bases to take one for the team, striving for voters who have a perfectly sensible alternative in the shape of the Conservative Party, it will be annihilated.
  • Options
    A very thoughtful and well written article, thanks Ms @Cyclefree. :+1:

Meanwhile, Corbyn's trying to get the Telegraph readers onside. Good luck with that.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/08/06/you-dont-need-to-settle-for-the-future-the-tories-are-creating/
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Condensed read:

"Do Labour really want to be all lefty, or should they be more Tory, nudge nudge wink wink?"

That aside, CF is right in saying that the issue is not merely presentational or even about selecting a popular coherent policy platform.

For me, I think Labour should be about supporting people to overcome their own challenges and addressing barriers that stop people having fulfilling lives, whether that means stopping overly powerful corporations from exploiting people and the environment, increasing employability of the long term unemployed, tackling the housing shortage, etc.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    edited August 2016
    rcs1000 said:

Speedy said:

Well: moving to a contribution based system of benefits would be short term bad for people earning less than 35k per year, but would probably be long-term good. What do you think?
    And what about stay at home mothers ?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Speedy said:

Why would it? It could be based on number of years worked rather than the value couldn't it?
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,008
    Anyway, didn't Nick Clegg try all this with the Lib Dems?
  • Options
    EPG said:

Anyway, didn't Nick Clegg try all this with the Lib Dems?

So what do u think? What is Labour for? What's its purpose?
  • Options
    nunu said:

rcs1000 said:

Speedy said:

And what about stay at home mothers ?
    My point, nunu, was that it is not so simple to decide "what is best for those earning less than 35k per year".

(And surely most stay at home mothers will have worked before they became stay at home mothers, and therefore would be unaffected.)
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    This is exquisite

https://www.byline.com/column/11/article/1177

After Zoe Williams, one by one the radical lefties who were cheering Corbyn before have realised that he is not only destroying the Labour Party (which they don't care about) but he is so spectacularly crap he is in danger of destroying their vision of the radical left too.

Heart of Stone...
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Speedy said:

I confess I would like us to move back to a more contribution based system. However, I'd do it in two parts.

Dump NI contributions as we now have them. Instead have a two separate contribution streams. A Health contribution, i.e. a hypothecated tax, on everyone (employed, self employed, unemployed whatever) to pay for the NHS. Secondly, a Community Chest levy on every working person to pay the welfare bill. Both to raised on percentage of gross income, with fearsome penalties for anyone caught trying to evade/avoid. Other taxes (income, capital gains etc) to be adjusted accordingly to make it overall neutral in the first year or two.

For companies I would bin Corporation Tax entirely. It is too complicated, too difficult to collect and too easy to avoid. A straight forward sales tax, with the payments split into three streams, x% for the general exchequer, y% for the Community Chest, z% for the NHS. hat the overall percentage would be and how it would be split would be down the the Chancellor the day. Again fearsome penalties for any company director, partner or sole trader who tried to avoid/evade the sums due.

On such a scheme I reckon I could re-write the entire tax code in less than a 1000 pages, increase collection and shut down 90% of the loopholes which enable the wealthy to avoid tax.
  • Options
    Fat_SteveFat_Steve Posts: 361
    A most interesting article Cyclefree, thank you.
    To paraphrase very crudely, Labour needs to work out what it's for.
    I think the Labour party collectively haven't got answers, and this is not a recent but long-running problem.

They lost the ability to be intelligently self-critical a long time ago. - If 2 social goods are not obviously compatible for instance, how do you choose between them - what mechanisms do you use?

Tony Blair defined Labour as "A party for the British people as a whole".
    That was arrant nonsense, both meaningless, and actually destructive - A leader who thinks that, or purports to think that, is going to mess up from not understanding his party, and not actually understanding what politics is for.
    Noone in the Labour party called him out on it. That was nigh on 2 decades ago.
    The party doesn't have the capacity to think about the questions raised above, and doesn't show any sign of developing that capacity.
    The party is stuffed.

• Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    edited August 2016
    Good thread header Ms Cycle.

"Well, one reason might be that a person cannot be an effective leader if the organisation they want to lead has no clear idea about what it is for and why it exists. "

I would suggest that the issue is in all but practice Labour has already split. The grassroots and CLP ( based on their recent support) will not be led by Smith, the PLP will not be led by Corbyn. Therin Labour is truly caught on the horns of a dilemma where no present candidate can mould these sections into a fighting force.

I agree Leadership succeeds but only where the leader has a definitive reason for being, a clear direction of travel and an ultimate goal of that to be achieved on which the entire team is focused.

At the moment there are two sets of troops being led in different directions leaving the centre and right flank seriously exposed to enemy action. If Corbyn loses then the left flank will rebel and engage in gureilla warfare. If Corbyn wins the right flank will collapse and withdraw from the field of battle leaving the centre ground at the mercy of the approaching cavalry.

Either option is appalling for Labour and either issue has no obvious solution. No King across the water or an unknown unity candidate with suffice to gravitas and experience exists. Even those wise heads no longer have the ability to seize the opportunity( You have Brown to thank for that)

Labour are over as an effective political party. They shall have to start again. It is best for all concerned if they just got on with that acceptance and reformed in short order to retake the field at least looking like some semblance of a cohesive force.
  • Options
    Another one! 125/5 now :)
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Good piece, Cyclefree. I think it's been said many times before but a lot of what the Labour Party sought to achieve has been achieved. It has also been said that if the Tories didn't exist then Labour would have to create them. The reverse is not true.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,984
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Another good piece from Miss Cyclefree. Others here have also asked the simple question "What is Labour for?"

The working class don't look at Corbyn and nod approvingly. They certainly don't look that way at Colonel Thornberry or Mao.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    Pakistan doing an England.
  • Options
    Freggles said:

Condensed read:

"Do Labour really want to be all lefty, or should they be more Tory, nudge nudge wink wink?"

That aside, CF is right in saying that the issue is not merely presentational or even about selecting a popular coherent policy platform.

For me, I think Labour should be about supporting people to overcome their own challenges and addressing barriers that stop people having fulfilling lives, whether that means stopping overly powerful corporations from exploiting people and the environment, increasing employability of the long term unemployed, tackling the housing shortage, etc.

And free owls for all.

Lets us just take one of those, Mr. Freggles, "Increasing employability of the long term unemployed". How? I have some experience in this field and have worked on some schemes and have significant knowledge of the people we are talking about. So how are you going to do it?

It is an easy soundbite to put out but let us see some policies that will turn it into reality.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    EPG said:

PB would *love* Labour to slaughter its sacred cows while the Tories protect their own.

If Labour tells every single one of its support bases to take one for the team, striving for voters who have a perfectly sensible alternative in the shape of the Conservative Party, it will be annihilated.

Or it can continue to support it Corbynite cows, and get annihilated. Parties need to consider from time to time if their sacred cows are past their sell by dates, Labour did this at one time with Clause 4, the Tories did it with Gay Marriage.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Speedy said:

I confess I would like us to move back to a more contribution based system. However, I'd do it in two parts.

Dump NI contributions as we now have them. Instead have a two separate contribution streams. A Health contribution, i.e. a hypothecated tax, on everyone (employed, self employed, unemployed whatever) to pay for the NHS. Secondly, a Community Chest levy on every working person to pay the welfare bill. Both to raised on percentage of gross income, with fearsome penalties for anyone caught trying to evade/avoid. Other taxes (income, capital gains etc) to be adjusted accordingly to make it overall neutral in the first year or two.

For companies I would bin Corporation Tax entirely. It is too complicated, too difficult to collect and too easy to avoid. A straight forward sales tax, with the payments split into three streams, x% for the general exchequer, y% for the Community Chest, z% for the NHS. hat the overall percentage would be and how it would be split would be down the the Chancellor the day. Again fearsome penalties for any company director, partner or sole trader who tried to avoid/evade the sums due.

On such a scheme I reckon I could re-write the entire tax code in less than a 1000 pages, increase collection and shut down 90% of the loopholes which enable the wealthy to avoid tax.
    The problem with a sales tax is that it deals poorly with businesses that intrinsically low margin.

Take pharmaceutical distributors. Their job is to buy drugs from drug companies and be able to deliver pretty much anything in under a day to any pharmacy in the UK. It's a low margin business: you might buy a packet of pills for $1,000, and you might get just $1,005 from the pharmacy for it. (Holding inventory, per se, is not a very high margin business.) But if you sales taxes the pharmaceutical wholesale business it would simply not exist. Pharmacies would instead have to buy direct from drug companies. And the drug companies aren't set up to deal with ten thousand plus pharmacies: they're set up to deal with a dozen pharmacy distribution businesses.

(In case you're wondering: pharmaceutical distributors exist all around the world: there's McKesson in the US, and Celesio in Germany, etc.)
  • Options
    Labour needs to be a centre left party for the 21st, Corbyn is harking back to the 70's.

1. Forget renationalisation of trains etc its too expensive instead look at how we can build an economy where everyone doesn't have to travel to the big cities for work we need a more balanced economy where the banks are servants and not masters.

2. The States role? To achieve the rest.

3.It is unfair Google etc get away with paying so less tax, reform the tax system wholly and set out what they want it to do. Forget about people earning millions rather aim to raise as much money as possible in the most fair way so taxing people 50% tax is wrong rather go after inherited wealth tho u could have different allowances on iht in different regions but it should be ringfenced for social care.

4. They need to be the greatest defenders of liberal western values which are British values, not having meetings with hamas etc.

5. Labours biggest problem us the decline in trade union membership they need to recognise the economy is less about collective bargaining and more about individual choice this should be facillatated rather than hindered e.g support N.I contributions for self employed .
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    weejonnie said:

Pakistan doing an England.

Ha. I was going to say it's surely England's to lose from here, but thought that might be tempting fate.

Our friend @FrancisUrquhart should be having an enjoyable day out at the ground.
  • Options

Freggles said:

Condensed read:

And free owls for all.

Lets us just take one of those, Mr. Freggles, "Increasing employability of the long term unemployed". How? I have some experience in this field and have worked on some schemes and have significant knowledge of the people we are talking about. So how are you going to do it?

It is an easy soundbite to put out but let us see some policies that will turn it into reality.
    No idea, just an example of a policy that might spin off from the general purpose I outlined above it.

• Options
    I see the cricket has suddenly become very exciting!
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

I see the cricket has suddenly become very exciting!

Yep! 125/6 now. Sami is in danger of running out of partners.
  • Options
    @HurstLlama

Another example of an intrinsically low margin business: staffing companies. On large contracts, Adecco will take 12 pounds an hour from a client, and pay the temp 11. It's hard to see how temporary agencies could exist in a world with a blanket sales tax.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    Pakistan aiming at improving on doing an England.
  • Options
    125/7!
  • Options
    edited August 2016

Freggles said:

Condensed read:

And free owls for all.

Training or retraining using the persons existing skill sets of course is one way. Looking at the number of jobs on offer though it is hard to see how we have long term unemployed. Unless you are unable to work and of course there are many genuine cases everyone else should make a contribution even if it is to the local area. No one should be idle as a matter of choice or lifestyle when others have to get up in the morning and work to provide for their own families which supporting others who just receive the benefits in kind. **

** before the lefties get on high horses I have been made redundant three times. Each time I found a job. Not one I ever really wanted to do but I found and did it all the same and accepted some retaining as well. I certainly did not sit around feeling sorry for myself, signing on once a week and bemoaning my lot

• Options
    And Aslam's gone for 70.
  • Options
    Look at Aljazeera English now....
  • Options
    Seven down now, Sami finally out. England can't lose from here, surely?
  • Options
    nunu said:

Look at Aljazeera English now....

Corbyn will be jealous.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Labour knows what it's for. It has values and principles coming out of its ears. It spends far too much time agonising or talking about them.

What Labour needs is fresh ideas about how to put these ideas into practice. And then the competence to communicate the ideas and execute a plan.

Its actually annoyingly simple.

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,007
    EPG said:

Every party to win normally has to slaughter a sacred cow or two, even Cameron accepted gay marriage for instance
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Labour knows what it's for. It has values and principles coming out of its ears. It spends far too much time agonising or talking about them.

What Labour needs is fresh ideas about how to put these ideas into practice. And then the competence to communicate the ideas and execute a plan.

That's a good point. It's one thing to say that tax should be progressive and redistributive, another to go into an election promising to raise the 40% income tax rate to 45%.
  • Options
    Fat_SteveFat_Steve Posts: 361
    Jonathan said:

Labour knows what it's for?
    Could you hypothetically provide a brief answer to the 5 questions above, one that you could sincerely say that Labour members would agree on, and very few would disagree with significantly.
    I don't think, even as a thought experiment, that that is currently possible.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    edited August 2016
    Jonathan said:

Another excellent piece from the estimable Ms @Cyclefree.

In terms of practicalities, Labour need to accept that the Tories may be wrong, but they are not evil, nor do Labour hold any kind of moral high ground. Their current civil war has, I hope, shocked many of them with the sheer malignity of the vitriol on display.

People will not vote for a party that apparently considers them to be scum. In order to win a majority, Labour need to win both Nuneaton and a couple of dozen or so rural seats. They also, as Cyclefree states, need to slaughter the odd sacred cow. The NHS is a medical service, not a religion.

How they accomplish this, is almost impossible to say. History abounds with scenarios where the way forward was clear yet the protagonists were unable to countenance them and suffered accordingly.
  • Options
    John_M said:

Jonathan said:

Another excellent piece from the estimable Ms @Cyclefree.

In terms of practicalities, Labour need to accept that the Tories may be wrong, but they are not evil, nor do Labour hold any kind of moral high ground. Their current civil war has, I hope, shocked many of them with the sheer malignity of the vitriol on display.

People will not vote for a party that apparently considers them to be scum. In order to win a majority, Labour need to win both Nuneaton and a couple of dozen or so rural seats. They also, as Cyclefree states, need to slaughter the odd sacred cow. The NHS is a medical service, not a religion.

How they accomplish this, is almost impossible to say. History abounds with scenarios where the way forward was clear yet the protagonists were unable to countenance them and suffered accordingly.
    The NHS is not a sacred cow Labour needs to slaughter, uncontrolled immigration though certainly is. They also needs a leadership that can be trusted with national security and accepts the need for Trident once again
  • Options
    Tea. Pak 148/7
    England well on top now, a great session of bowling from Cook's men.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Jonathan said:

That's a good point. It's one thing to say that tax should be progressive and redistributive, another to go into an election promising to raise the 40% income tax rate to 45%.
    Both Smith and Corbyn have said they would restore the 50% top income tax rate, a policy that is still quite popular. Accepting Osborne's inheritance tax cut would be a more sensible concession for Labour to make as that was liked by the public far more than his cut in the top income tax rate
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    HYUFD said:

EPG said:

Every party to win normally has to slaughter a sacred cow or two, even Cameron accepted gay marriage for instance
    I suppose it wasn't a sacred cow for Cameron, but that's how these things tend to work.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Jonathan said:

"Labour knows what it's for"

....but MrJ, it just doesn't know hence the civil war spilling over into the press, debates and news programming as well as a bitter and very divisive leadership challenge .

To many factions of the party seem to think they alone know what Labour is for and I agree with you are not articulating a common reason to the electorate. Until the party, its members and the grassroots accept a common front then Labour are finished irrespective of any principles and values. It is as you say surprisingly simple but they won't ever do it.

I suspect that at this stage even if they managed to do so would it be little believed or trusted? Opponents just have to point and say the Labour Party is only ever a hairbreadth away from this chaos whoever is in charge unity candidate or not. Their opponents would be right as well.

At the moment Labour are already writing the election posters and leaflets for their opponents.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

HYUFD said:

EPG said:

I suppose it wasn't a sacred cow for Cameron, but that's how these things tend to work.
    Neither was repealing Clause 4 for Blair, for the activists in both cases it was
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    nunu said:

Labour needs to be a centre left party for the 21st, Corbyn is harking back to the 70's.

1. Forget renationalisation of trains etc its too expensive instead look at how we can build an economy where everyone doesn't have to travel to the big cities for work we need a more balanced economy where the banks are servants and not masters.

2. The States role? To achieve the rest.

3.It is unfair Google etc get away with paying so less tax, reform the tax system wholly and set out what they want it to do. Forget about people earning millions rather aim to raise as much money as possible in the most fair way so taxing people 50% tax is wrong rather go after inherited wealth tho u could have different allowances on iht in different regions but it should be ringfenced for social care.

4. They need to be the greatest defenders of liberal western values which are British values, not having meetings with hamas etc.

5. Labours biggest problem us the decline in trade union membership they need to recognise the economy is less about collective bargaining and more about individual choice this should be facillatated rather than hindered e.g support N.I contributions for self employed .

I also think the point of Labour renationalising the railways is an interesting one. Only really a credible policy if people believe that the government is able to deliver on an efficient, cost effective alternative. Corbyns lack of credibility on all areas of leadership means I very much doubt anyone would trust them to deliver.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

Jonathan said:

Both Smith and Corbyn have said they would restore the 50% top income tax rate, a policy that is still quite popular. Accepting Osborne's inheritance tax cut would be a more sensible concession for Labour to make as that was liked by the public far more than his cut in the top income tax rate
    The top (as in over £150k) rate moving from 45% to 50% will raise almost nothing, it's pure bash-the-rich symbolism. To actually raise serious money it's the 40% rate that needs to rise.
    Agree about IHT, it's the most hated tax of the lot, and falls disproportionately on the middle class who had a home go up in value, rather than the seriously wealthy who can afford trusts and accountants.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

Jonathan said:

Have they not shown that more was collected at the lower rate than the higher? The 50% rate would have been more acceptable had Brown done this 3 years earlier rather than 3 weeks before being ejected at the fag end of his calamitous government.

It's spite politics pure and simple and gained nothing in the longer term. Squeezing so "the pips squeak" as a cohesive tax principle simply doesn't work anymore except for people who want to go back to the 60's
  • Options
    Paul_BedfordshirePaul_Bedfordshire Posts: 3,632
    edited August 2016
    runnymede said:

justin124 said:

Much of the present USA is the product of 19th century aggression or 'terrorism' as the border was pushed further to the West and South. Bit surprised that Putin has never cited such precedents.America's hands are well soiled in mud if a longterm historical perspective is adopted.

Exactly the same as Russia really.

And practically every other country as well. But the general idea is that we are supposed to have moved on from that.
    Alas that idea is just a liberal conceit given traction by nuclear technology.

Great powers or lesser powers with cast iron great power backing have always taken land by right of conquest and still do (China-Tibet, Russia-Crimea, Israel-West Bank).

Lesser and sometimes great powers that go to far get taken to the cleaners (Germany, Iraq).

Whether it is too far is a fine judgment whose threshold has been lowered by modern technology, the downside of that is that things become fossilized, and pressure within builds up more.

I doubt anyone would raise a hand to stop Russia reconquering the whole USSR , other than the Baltic States (they only seem interested in ethnic Russian areas though).

If the crisis comes it will be once Belarus have been reabsorbed into Russia and a narrow Polish/Lithuanian corridor separates Russia from East Prussia where their Baltic Fleet is based.

Hopefully Poland and Lithuania wont repeat their behaviour on the original Polish corridor where the fascist Polish Junta, convinced that they could see off the German army, made Germans lives a misery when they tried to cross it, harrying them and holding them up for hours and making life very difficult in trade matters with Germany for the citizens of Danzig, then an entirely German populated city which versailles absurdly decided should self governing ciity within Poland.

The polish junta also invaded and annexed part of Czechoslovakia when Germany occupied it in 1938.

The guarantee of Poland from the UK made the junta even more arrogant and they refused to even discuss German proposals for an autobahn corridor to East Prussia through Poland (part of Poland which was German until 1918 and ethnic German populated) which german vehicles could cross without being held up for hours at each end

Hitler would never have got into power had there not been genuine injustices to exploit.

In government, your citizens tend to reap what you sow and that applied to both the Polish and German governments in the 30s/40s. Both brought disaster upon their people.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

Freggles said:

Condensed read:

And free owls for all.

Spot on - there is a huge difference between saying the nice things you want to do and have a clear plan including the costings for how to achieve them. Politicians and generally good at the former and dishonest about the latter. Result - disillusioned voters, although tbf the public generally want the bill for the goodies to be paid by everyone else.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Freggles said:

Condensed read:

Funny thing is that is *exactly* what the Tories should be about. They forget it under Cameron, but may just rediscover it under the new leadership.

Governments should be about facilitation and equality of opportunity, not equality of outcome
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Tea. Pak 148/7

Don't let me down now....
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Moses_ said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

Jonathan said:

Have they not shown that more was collected at the lower rate than the higher? The 50% rate would have been more acceptable had Brown done this 3 years earlier rather than 3 weeks before being ejected at the fag end of his calamitous government.

It's spite politics pure and simple and gained nothing in the longer term. Squeezing so "the pips squeak" as a cohesive tax principle simply doesn't work anymore except for people who want to go back to the 60's
    A majority of the public backed the 50% tax rate when it was introduced.
    I did not support it personally but it is not a policy Labour has to reverse to win a general election regardless of its economic merits
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

Freggles said:

Condensed read:

And free owls for all.

Training or retraining using the persons existing skill sets of course is one way. Looking at the number of jobs on offer though it is hard to see how we have long term unemployed. Unless you are unable to work and of course there are many genuine cases everyone else should make a contribution even if it is to the local area. No one should be idle as a matter of choice or lifestyle when others have to get up in the morning and work to provide for their own families which supporting others who just receive the benefits in kind. **

** before the lefties get on high horses I have been made redundant three times. Each time I found a job. Not one I ever really wanted to do but I found and did it all the same and accepted some retaining as well. I certainly did not sit around feeling sorry for myself, signing on once a week and bemoaning my lot

My entire extended family going back to the 1920s were born, bred and educated in the north-east of England - none were eever unemployed despite a very full range of educational achievements. And most of them stayed within the region for their entire lives. In my experience if you want to work the jobs are usually there in this country.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

Jonathan said:

The top (as in over £150k) rate moving from 45% to 50% will raise almost nothing, it's pure bash-the-rich symbolism. To actually raise serious money it's the 40% rate that needs to rise.
    Agree about IHT, it's the most hated tax of the lot, and falls disproportionately on the middle class who had a home go up in value, rather than the seriously wealthy who can afford trusts and accountants.
    Agree on your second paragraph. On your first the 50% top tax rate makes little economic sense but a majority polled backed it when it was introduced. Most voters are happy for the rich to pay more tax just as long as they don't have to!
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Tea. Pak 148/7

Don't let me down now....
    Having a good day out?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

Jonathan said:

However, that wouldn't raise nearly enough money to execute their plans.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Moses_ said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

Jonathan said:

I did not support it personally but it is not a policy Labour has to reverse to win a general election regardless of its economic merits
    I think the income tax rates are pretty well geared to maximum income.

They need to focus on property taxes, in particular:

Split band H into eight new bands enabling a massive incease in council tax for these properties.

Levy council tax on rented properties on the owner not the tenant and double it.

Tax all land at 1% of its value.

Increase council tax by 25% for every bedroom a property has in excess of the number of occupants (if more than three non bedroom rooms the excess also deemed to be Bedrooms.
  • Options
    felix said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

Jonathan said:

They could also cut welfare spending except for those genuinely unable to work which would make some savings for their plans and be popular too.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

Alas that idea is just a liberal conceit given traction by nuclear technology.

Great powers or lesser powers with cast iron great power backing have always taken land by right of conquest and still do (China-Tibet, Russia-Crimea, Israel-West Bank).

Lesser and sometimes great powers that go to far get taken to the cleaners (Germany, Iraq).

Whether it is too far is a fine judgment whose threshold has been lowered by modern technology, the downside of that is that things become fossilized, and pressure within builds up more.

I doubt anyone would raise a hand to stop Russia reconquering the whole USSR , other than the Baltic States (they only seem interested in ethnic Russian areas though).

If the crisis comes it will be once Belarus have been reabsorbed into Russia and a narrow Polish/Lithuanian corridor separates Russia from East Prussia where their Baltic Fleet is based.

Hopefully Poland and Lithuania wont repeat their behaviour on the original Polish corridor where the fascist Polish Junta, convinced that they could see off the German army, made Germans lives a misery when they tried to cross it, harrying them and holding them up for hours and making life very difficult in trade matters with Germany for the citizens of Danzig, then an entirely German populated city which versailles absurdly decided should self governing ciity within Poland.

The polish junta also invaded and annexed part of Czechoslovakia when Germany occupied it in 1938.

The guarantee of Poland from the UK made the junta even more arrogant and they refused to even discuss German proposals for an autobahn corridor to East Prussia through Poland (part of Poland which was German until 1918 and ethnic German populated) which german vehicles could cross without being held up for hours at each end

Hitler would never have got into power had there not been genuine injustices to exploit.

In government, your citizens tend to reap what you sow and that applied to both the Polish and German governments in the 30s/40s. Both brought disaster upon their people.

What rubbish.

I know that the state of alliances in central europe was fluid between 1933-1939, but there is no doubt that Hitler wanted revenge for WW1 as soon as possible.

Records show that he was very angry he didn't get his war in 1938 but instead he had to sign the Munich treaty.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

Jonathan said:

Agree on your second paragraph. On your first the 50% top tax rate makes little economic sense but a majority polled backed it when it was introduced
    Of course a majority agree with the idea of the top 1% paying more tax, the point is that it doesn't raise much if anything, and sends a bad sign as to how we treat the successful in the country.

If Labour want to be seen as a party of tax and spend I'm fine with that, it's a rational argument to have. What's not rational or reasonable is extra spending paid for by more borrowing, or the idea that only 1% of the people need to pay more tax for the other 99% to enjoy the fruits of the extra spending.

They need to have the balls to put up eg the 40% income tax rate, and say it will raise £20bn for the NHS. That's at least honest politics.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    Charles said:

Freggles said:

Condensed read:

Funny thing is that is *exactly* what the Tories should be about. They forget it under Cameron, but may just rediscover it under the new leadership.

Governments should be about facilitation and equality of opportunity, not equality of outcome
    The is exactly what I want from a Tory party. And no nanny state.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Moses_ said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

Jonathan said:

Split band H into eight new bands enabling a massive incease in council tax for these properties.

Levy council tax on rented properties on the owner not the tenant and double it.

Increase council tax by 25% for every bedroom a property has in excess of the number of occupants (if more than three non bedroom rooms the excess also deemed to be Bedrooms.
    Sounds possible and Miliband proposed a mansion tax of course
  • Options
    edited August 2016
  • Options
    Paul_BedfordshirePaul_Bedfordshire Posts: 3,632
    edited August 2016
    felix said:

Freggles said:

Condensed read:

And free owls for all.

Spot on - there is a huge difference between saying the nice things you want to do and have a clear plan including the costings for how to achieve them. Politicians and generally good at the former and dishonest about the latter. Result - disillusioned voters, although tbf the public generally want the bill for the goodies to be paid by everyone else.
    I don't think many of the long term unemployed are employable other than in dumbass unthinking menial jobs that are difficult to screw up with heavy coercion.

The problem is that even if you are prepared to use unpleasant coercion technogology has seen to it that the dumbass jobs no longer exist.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

Jonathan said:

Agree on your second paragraph. On your first the 50% top tax rate makes little economic sense but a majority polled backed it when it was introduced
    Of course a majority agree with the idea of the top 1% paying more tax, the point is that it doesn't raise much if anything, and sends a bad sign as to how we treat the successful in the country.

If Labour want to be seen as a party of tax and spend I'm fine with that, it's a rational argument to have. What's not rational or reasonable is extra spending paid for by more borrowing, or the idea that only 1% of the people need to pay more tax for the other 99% to enjoy the fruits of the extra spending.

They need to have the balls to put up eg the 40% income tax rate, and say it will raise £20bn for the NHS. That's at least honest politics.
    I am talking about what Labour needs to do to win a majority not necessarily how economically sensible it would be in government. Putting up the 40% rate would be electorally harmful for Labour even if it makes some economic sense
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

The problem with a sales tax is that it deals poorly with businesses that intrinsically low margin.

Take pharmaceutical distributors. Their job is to buy drugs from drug companies and be able to deliver pretty much anything in under a day to any pharmacy in the UK. It's a low margin business: you might buy a packet of pills for $1,000, and you might get just $1,005 from the pharmacy for it. (Holding inventory, per se, is not a very high margin business.) But if you sales taxes the pharmaceutical wholesale business it would simply not exist. Pharmacies would instead have to buy direct from drug companies. And the drug companies aren't set up to deal with ten thousand plus pharmacies: they're set up to deal with a dozen pharmacy distribution businesses.

(In case you're wondering: pharmaceutical distributors exist all around the world: there's McKesson in the US, and Celesio in Germany, etc.)

Gross margins in the pharmaceutical distribution business are closer to 7-8% [i.e. $1,000 --> $1,070 not $1,005]. And Celesio is part of McKesson...

But apart from that, great post!

(Just teasing...your point is very fair. It's also a business where, if you do it right, you can make a lot of money. Stefano is now a billionaire many times over having started with a loss-making pharmaceutical business in Naples with revenues of $1m. One of the most impressive business careers that there is - and a pretty decent guy (although as sharp as tacks and takes no prisoners... I think it took Stefano 3 months to replace the chief executive of Walgreens after he sold Alliance Boots to him)

• Options
    BBC NEWS Breaking

Russian paraolympians receive blanket ban.

Disablist...
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Moses_ said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

Jonathan said:

Are you trying to lose the next election?

Properties are already very expensive because of hoarding by investment companies, increasing taxes will only push their prices up.

Instead I would install a levy on empty properties to force investors to put them on market for rent or sale.
  • Options
    Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Gross margins in the pharmaceutical distribution business are closer to 7-8% [i.e. $1,000 --> $1,070 not $1,005]. And Celesio is part of McKesson...

(Just teasing...your point is very fair. It's also a business where, if you do it right, you can make a lot of money. Stefano is now a billionaire many times over having started with a loss-making pharmaceutical business in Naples with revenues of $1m. One of the most impressive business careers that there is - and a pretty decent guy (although as sharp as tacks and takes no prisoners... I think it took Stefano 3 months to replace the chief executive of Walgreens after he sold Alliance Boots to him)

Yes, my knowledge is a few years out of date :)

• Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Moses_ said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

Jonathan said:

I would also make tax on unearned wealth such as share dividends and interest double the rate of tax on earnings not 1/3 of the rate as it is now and apply NI to pension income.

It is absurd that earned income is hammered while unearned income gets a virtually free ride.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133

You just increased the rent tenants will have to pay...
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

Jonathan said:

I am talking about what Labour needs to do to win a majority not necessarily how economically sensible it would be in government
    What they have to do to win a majority is to show the people that they can be trusted on:
    1. Defence of the Realm.
    2. Management of the public finances.

When they can do that, they'll get elected eventually. That's a long way from where they are now.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Moses_ said:

BBC NEWS Breaking

Disablist...

Could the IOC have made the decision before the olympics ?
    Making it now they appear to be mean on disabled people.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

HYUFD said:

Moses_ said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

Jonathan said:

Hint, rents go up.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

I would also make tax on unearned wealth such as share dividends and interest double the rate of tax on earnings not 1/3 of the rate as it is now and apply NI to pension income.

It is absurd that earned income is hammered while unearned income gets a virtually free ride.

It does not get a free ride. Taxing dividends is double taxation, as corporate tax has already been paid on it. If there are problems with collecting corporate tax at proper levels, that has to be addressed.

By double taxing investments in corporations (at corporate and dividend levels) you distort how investment money is allocated. This can have very adverse effects on an economy.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Yes, my knowledge is a few years out of date :)

Actually replacing Corporation tax and VAT with Income&Sales tax on Corporations might get rid of the tricks most corporations do to reduce their profits on paper.

Also it is a just move, if income tax is good for people then it's just as good for corporations.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

Moses_ said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

Jonathan said:

Hint, rents go up.
    Increase the levies so much that it makes being a landlord unprofitable. Leeches on society deserved to be treated like parasites.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

felix said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

Jonathan said:

They could also cut welfare spending except for those genuinely unable to work which would make some savings for their plans and be popular too.
    All of these ideas are fine but you just imagine the howls we'd get at the merest hint of welfare cuts.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Moses_ said:

BBC NEWS Breaking

Disablist...

Could the IOC have made the decision before the olympics ?
    Making it now they appear to be mean on disabled people.
    The IPC is fairly independent of the IOC.

The former got it right, the latter wrong.
  • Options

That old canard again lol.

Lots of landlords think that and then find themselves either without tenants or crap tenants who trash the place.

Rents are related to what the market will bear not what the landlord needs to charge to make a profit.

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,984
    Mr. Speedy, wouldn't that entail more than doubling the tax most businesses pay?

Not that sure that'll do much for the UK's reputation as a place to do business.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

Moses_ said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

Jonathan said:

Hint, rents go up.
    Increase the levies so much that it makes being a landlord unprofitable. Leeches on society deserved to be treated like parasites.
    Where do all the renters live?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

Moses_ said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

Jonathan said:

Hint, rents go up.
    I guess you'll be selling up when you move to Switzerland then?
  • Options

That old canard again lol.
    When was your last experience as a tenant?
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

Moses_ said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

Jonathan said:

Hint, rents go up.
    Build more public housing and fund housing associations. Private rental is a scam and needs to be stamped out.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

It does not get a free ride. Taxing dividends is double taxation, as corporate tax has already been paid on it. If there are problems with collecting corporate tax at proper levels, that has to be addressed.

By double taxing investments in corporations (at corporate and dividend levels) you distort how investment money is allocated. This can have very adverse effects on an economy.
    Like incentivise corporations to reinvest profits in expanding the company or upgrading the company infrastructure rather than handing it to shareholders living off shares they inherited and not doing a days work while being taxed at a third of the rate of those who have to earn a living?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Moses_ said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

Jonathan said:

Also some sensible ideas there
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Moses_ said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

Jonathan said:

Discouraging saving and investment isn't really beneficial to long term economic growth
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

Moses_ said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

Jonathan said:

Hint, rents go up.
    Build more public housing and fund housing associations. Private rental is a scam and needs to be stamped out.
    I and an increasing percentage of the population live in private rental
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Moses_ said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

Jonathan said:

I agree they probably don't. A tax policy should have a beneficial outcome and quite simply this outcome had no benefit to the Uk treasury yet did

1) appease Labour grass roots and make it harder for incoming government
    2) gave Labour years of ammunition from 2010 onwards to prevent that damage being undone by stating any reduction would mean Tories are for the rich. **

** this after Labour and Brown retained it at the lower rate for 12 years and 11 months of a Labour government.
  • Options
    felix said:

HYUFD said:

felix said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

Jonathan said:

All of these ideas are fine but you just imagine the howls we'd get at the merest hint of welfare cuts.
    A majority polled back welfare cuts
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

Moses_ said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

Jonathan said:

Hint, rents go up.
    I guess you'll be selling up when you move to Switzerland then?
    Probably. I'll be taking most of my stuff with me, everything else I'll give away or give to my parents.
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

Moses_ said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

Jonathan said:

Hint, rents go up.
    Ditto, and the idea of living in a housing association or government property makes my stomach turn.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

Jonathan said:

I am talking about what Labour needs to do to win a majority not necessarily how economically sensible it would be in government
    What they have to do to win a majority is to show the people that they can be trusted on:
    1. Defence of the Realm.
    2. Management of the public finances.

When they can do that, they'll get elected eventually. That's a long way from where they are now.
    Largely correct on both points, they certainly won't be under Corbyn
  • Options
    Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

Moses_ said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

Jonathan said:

Hint, rents go up.
    Not necessarily - assuming you have a relatively free market then rents shouldn't move much from the the clearing price

Rents are more driven by lack of supply in desirable areas, plus the idiotic housing benefit system that created a ratchet effect on rents (I think that was going to be fixed, but no idea if it actually was)
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

Moses_ said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

Jonathan said:

Hint, rents go up.
    Wouldn't you prefer to live in your own home or in a public rental where the landlord won't bother you or decide to evict you for spurious reasons or jack up the rent so they can leech more money from you?
  • Options
    maaarsh said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

Moses_ said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

Jonathan said:

Hint, rents go up.
    Ditto, and the idea of living in a housing association or government property makes my stomach turn.
    Indeed, they should be focused on those who just need a roof over their head of any form
This discussion has been closed.