Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Local By-Election Results : UKIP & LAB gain and lose a seat

SystemSystem Posts: 11,702
edited August 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Local By-Election Results : UKIP & LAB gain and lose a seat from each other – LD revival continues

Beaver (Lab defence) on Ashford
Result: United Kingdom Independence Party 373 (42% +11%), Labour 243 (27% -4%), Conservative 240 (27% unchanged), Green Party 31 (3%, no candidate in 2015)
United Kingdom Independence Party GAIN from Labour with a majority of 130 (15%) on a swing of 7.5% from Labour to UKIP

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    edited August 2016
    Gold medal!
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,422
    2nd. Like Owen Smith.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,618
    LD revival. Winning when it doesn't matter.
  • Options
    There's a joke in there somewhere about UKIP and Beaver, but I can't quite get it to work!
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

There's a joke in there somewhere about UKIP and Beaver, but I can't quite get it to work!

UKIP doing what most teenage boys obsess about and come good in Beaver!
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Sandpit said:

Gold medal!

Have you passed the dope test on PB ? .... :smiley:
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    I do hope those sincere souls within the Black Lives Matter Uk version realise who is really driving this. The idea if non affiliation is bull. Its an extension of known malcontents on the left who have found a new channel to be the cuckoo for.

Its a clever move now i think about it because plenty if people will be put off calling it out since they will be branded racist.

I do not hold out much hope for the movement achieving its stated aims as it stands. Linking this to the death of criminal figure mark duggan isn't going to get you far.

But then the real puppeteers dont really care about that.

• Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    FPT:

Government information security planning always assumes the attackers are at least as smart as the defenders, possesses perfect information about networks, crypto-algorithms, software, has the resources of a state-actor and so forth. It's a useful stance.

It's callous but true that terrorism of the nature displayed since 9/11 is statistically insignificant. The worry is always that somewhere a really smart group will weaponise an NBC capability and deploy it against a major population centre.

It's very hard to convince decision makers to properly resource & sustain counter measures as the size of the threat is, almost by definition, hard to quantify (c.f. Donald Rumsfeld's epic quote).
  • Options
    dyingswandyingswan Posts: 189
    Apparently the man on Jeremy Corbyns roof has been offered a peerage to whitewash the building
  • Options
    pbr2013pbr2013 Posts: 649
    edited August 2016
    Y0kel said:

I do hope those sincere souls within the Black Lives Matter Uk version realise who is really driving this. The idea if non affiliation is bull. Its an extension of known malcontents on the left who have found a new channel to be the cuckoo for.

Its a clever move now i think about it because plenty if people will be put off calling it out since they will be branded racist.

I do not hold out much hope for the movement achieving its stated aims as it stands. Linking this to the death of criminal figure mark duggan isn't going to get you far.

Forget his name but one of the UK BLM leaders is an SWPer. They don't really strike fear into anyone apart from young women/girls.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Y0kel said:

I'm encouraged by my timeline on Twitter for calling it out without hesitation. The age of being intimidated by racism accusations is fading away. It's a combination of Brexit, absurd media/political lack of robust language re terrorism and the falling star of the Left in general.

We're a long way from Peak PC. I'm trying to think of when that was at its worst - mid to late 2000s?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    @ScottyNational: News:Concerns grow for MSP John Mason after rumour that Team GB booked Rio flights at Barrhead Travel.Whilst eating teacakes. In B&Q tshirts
  • Options

Sandpit said:

UKIP doing what most teenage boys obsess about and come good in Beaver!
    Ha, very good!
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    dyingswan said:

Apparently the man on Jeremy Corbyns roof has been offered a peerage to whitewash the building

He's got no chance - white middle aged bloke from Fathers 4 Justice. All the wrong victim demographic.
  • Options
    JackW said:

Sandpit said:

Gold medal!

Have you passed the dope test on PB ? .... :smiley:
    Does betting on England to win the cricket count as being a dope?
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    Alistair said:
    Trump = Corbyn
  • Options
    US July payrolls are excellent. The Fed may want to raise rates. Which will make BoE decision seem particularly ill-timed.
  • Options
    John_M said:

US July payrolls are excellent. The Fed may want to raise rates. Which will make BoE decision seem particularly ill-timed.

Indeed. USD surging. The whole sorry saga looks like a huge overreaction now.
  • Options
    pbr2013 said:

Y0kel said:

Forget his name but one of the UK BLM leaders is an SWPer. They don't really strike fear into anyone apart from young women/girls.
    I noticed the that former leader of UK Uncut had resurfaced something. I will have to check where, but some more BS Corbynite stuff.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,917
    PlatoSaid said:

Y0kel said:

I'm encouraged by my timeline on Twitter for calling it out without hesitation. The age of being intimidated by racism accusations is fading away. It's a combination of Brexit, absurd media/political lack of robust language re terrorism and the falling star of the Left in general.

We're a long way from Peak PC. I'm trying to think of when that was at its worst - mid to late 2000s?
    At is inception Political Correctness was really no more than an attempt to bring a little civility and politeness into public life, saying it is no longer acceptable to openly call people n**ggers, k*kes, PaK*is or f*ggots. Like many things the far left then appropriated it and took it to ridiculous extremes and discredited the whole notion.

Personally I don't really have an issue with people using these words because it reflects more on them as people than anything else.

• Options
    theakestheakes Posts: 842
    I suppose the Lib Dems now need the right Commons by election. Things seem on schedule, get moving in local by elections over the first year, get good three figure gains next May and then that by election wherever and whenever it may be. Then 20% in the national polls soon follows. Be under no illusion it will come in the next 12 months. You heard it here.
  • Options
    Paul Kirkby
    What's worse than death?
    By @TheEconomist

HT @Vilavaite https://t.co/U48h9qpDJA

Just for @Jonathan :smiley: #SouthernRail
  • Options
    OllyT said:

PlatoSaid said:

Y0kel said:

At is inception Political Correctness was really no more than an attempt to bring a little civility and politeness into public life, saying it is no longer acceptable to openly call people n**ggers, k*kes, PaK*is or f*ggots. Like many things the far left then appropriated it and took it to ridiculous extremes and discredited the whole notion.

Personally I don't really have an issue with people using these words because it reflects more on them as people than anything else.

Agree with this. People who want to use such phrases should be able to but not expect the rest of us to listen to anything else they have to say. They should not bs forced to censor themselves.
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    OllyT said:

PlatoSaid said:

Y0kel said:

It wasn't just the far left that did that, though. So did the mainstream parties of the left and even elements of the Tories, and a large part of the public sector bureaucracy.

Giving us such joys as the McPherson Report, the Rotherham cover up etc. and the more absurd end of the spectrum rural organisations being asked why there aren't more black people roaming the countryside.

To be honest, if you brought forward in time an SWP nut from say 1976 to today, he/she would be thrilled and delighted with how deeply this agenda has become embedded in British public life.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

John_M said:

It's a perfectly sensible precautionary move. If we get really fast growth next year as a result, that's great.

• Options
    OllyT said:

PlatoSaid said:

Y0kel said:

Not insulting people used to be a matter of good manners. It seems to have been replaced by a desire to eliminate offensiveness and whitewash the past. This seems to be a daft approach.
  • Options
    John_M said:

OllyT said:

PlatoSaid said:

Y0kel said:

Not insulting people used to be a matter of good manners. It seems to have been replaced by a desire to eliminate offensiveness and whitewash the past. This seems to be a daft approach.
    It's much worse than that. It's about trying to get power of people by controlling the way they can express themselves and even trying to control how they think. It's a form of oppression.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,936
    John_M said:

OllyT said:

PlatoSaid said:

Y0kel said:

Political correctness is essentially groupthink. You face legal or professional consequences for speaking the truth as you see it, because to do so would conflict with the prevailing ideology. Political correctness can appear in right wing or left wing forms. The Hays Code would be an example of right wing political correctness.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Paul Kirkby
    What's worse than death?
    By @TheEconomist

HT @Vilavaite https://t.co/U48h9qpDJA

Just for @Jonathan :smiley: #SouthernRail

Horribly unsymmetrical options. Three variants (displayed as 4) of better.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Optimistic and patriotic and err ....

Yes .... :smile:
  • Options
    Genuine lolz here

Christopher Snowden
    The best bit about this song is the way they have to ruin the rhyme to put in 'and women' so as not to be sexist. https://t.co/WhZJq2pLb6

https://youtu.be/aLa67mjm7hg
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

John_M said:

OllyT said:

PlatoSaid said:

Y0kel said:

Political correctness is essentially groupthink. You face legal or professional consequences for speaking the truth as you see it, because to do so would conflict with the prevailing ideology. Political correctness can appear in right wing or left wing forms. The Hays Code would be an example of right wing political correctness.
    As a history buff, I'm irritated by our habit of judging historical figures against modern standards. Some of our great writers were eugenicists. Early US leaders were often slave owners. Victorians were pretty much racist to their fingernails.. The public hangings at Tyburn were very popular with the upper and middle classes, as was viewing the inmates at Bedlam.

I'm sure future generations will lambast us for our monstrous slaughter of sapient creatures and our destruction of the environment.

• Options
    I thought there was a law against that sort of thing, dating from just after the Kennedy era?
  • Options
    John_M said:

Sean_F said:

John_M said:

OllyT said:

PlatoSaid said:

Y0kel said:

As a history buff, I'm irritated by our habit of judging historical figures against modern standards. Some of our great writers were eugenicists. Early US leaders were often slave owners. Victorians were pretty much racist to their fingernails.. The public hangings at Tyburn were very popular with the upper and middle classes, as was viewing the inmates at Bedlam.

I'm sure future generations will lambast us for our monstrous slaughter of sapient creatures and our destruction of the environment.

In all likelihood, there are prevailing viewpoints among people currently in their twenties and thirties, that will be considered generally ridiculous, and perhaps even bigoted, by the time they reach old age.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    runnymede said:

OllyT said:

PlatoSaid said:

Y0kel said:

To be honest, if you brought forward in time an SWP nut from say 1976 to today, he/she would be thrilled and delighted with how deeply this agenda has become embedded in British public life.
    Nick Palmer put up a superb post on here a couple of years back demonstrating just that. How many policies of the, then, radical left had become not only mainstream but in some cases actually adopted by the Conservative Party.
  • Options
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    PlatoSaid said:

Genuine lolz here

Christopher Snowden
    The best bit about this song is the way they have to ruin the rhyme to put in 'and women' so as not to be sexist. https://t.co/WhZJq2pLb6

ttps://youtu.be/aLa67mjm7hg

Christ that’s awful – it’s up there with the worst football song ever made by Paul Gascoigne..
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,917
    runnymede said:

John_M said:

OllyT said:

PlatoSaid said:

Y0kel said:

It's much worse than that. It's about trying to get power of people by controlling the way they can express themselves and even trying to control how they think. It's a form of oppression.
    Whilst those on the left took Political Correctness to extremes there are also those on the other extreme that try to tell us it constitutes oppression and thought control. Neither are correct.

Political Correctness has rightly changed what is acceptable to the mass of people. I go to PL regularly and I one game last season some idiot got up and started shouting racist abuse at an opposing player. Almost to a man the entire stand turned on him. Twenty years ago most people would have laughed.
  • Options

@ScottyNational: News:Concerns grow for MSP John Mason after rumour that Team GB booked Rio flights at Barrhead Travel.Whilst eating teacakes. In B&Q tshirts

The Continentals have rather - shall we say - "politically incorrect" names for what we call teacakes :)
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    IMHO, at the present time, with millions of people on holiday, these local elections tell us absolutely nothing.
  • Options

runnymede said:

OllyT said:

PlatoSaid said:

Y0kel said:

Nick Palmer put up a superb post on here a couple of years back demonstrating just that. How many policies of the, then, radical left had become not only mainstream but in some cases actually adopted by the Conservative Party.
    I'm still not convinced that governments are thought leaders.

My Mum was extremely disdainful of 'poofters' until one of her grandsons came out. When a particular part of society is seen as the 'Other', it can be mocked and despised. Once you realise you know some (say) gay people, it changes your views.

Eventually, governments catch up to society.
  • Options
    Latest Nate Silver forecasts :

Clinton 81.7 .. Trump 18.3 - Polls Only
    Clinton 75.4 .. Trump 24.6 - Polls Plus
    Clinton 92.9 .. Trump 7.1 - Nowcast

http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-election-forecast/#now
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    John_M said:

Sean_F said:

John_M said:

OllyT said:

PlatoSaid said:

Y0kel said:

to the death of criminal figure mark duggan isn't going to get you far.

I'm encouraged of robust language re terrorism and the falling star of the Left in general.

At is inception Political Correctness was really no gs the far left then appropriated it and took it to ridiculous extremes and discredited the whole notion.

Political correctness is essentially groupthink. You face legal or professional consequences for speaking the truth as you see it, becaul correctness.

What is also irritating is how films and TV show the past, whether fairly recent or long ago. All the good characters have values that any modern metropolitan liberal would consider to be right on and anyone possessing cultural values that are more representative of the time as bigoted.

Even now here, in the space of a few short years. Gay marriage and the adoption of children by homosexual couples are now so considered to be the 'right thing', that to claim otherwise (and to tell your children otherwise) would put you on an extremist watch list. Indeed gay marriage is such a British Value (tm), that if your children dared to project a contrary position at school it would trigger safeguarding rules.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,991
    Red card for Jimmy !
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    notme said:

John_M said:

Sean_F said:

John_M said:

OllyT said:

PlatoSaid said:

Y0kel said:

to the death of criminal figure mark duggan isn't going to get you far.

I'm encouraged of robust language re terrorism and the falling star of the Left in general.

At is inception Political Correctness was really no gs the far left then appropriated it and took it to ridiculous extremes and discredited the whole notion.

Political correctness is essentially groupthink. You face legal or professional consequences for speaking the truth as you see it, becaul correctness.

What is also irritating is how films and TV show the past, whether fairly recent or long ago. All the good characters have values that any modern metropolitan liberal would consider to be right on and anyone possessing cultural values that are more representative of the time as bigoted.

Even now here, in the space of a few short years. Gay marriage and the adoption of children by homosexual couples are now so considered to be the 'right thing', that to claim otherwise (and to tell your children otherwise) would put you on an extremist watch list. Indeed gay marriage is such a British Value (tm), that if your children dared to project a contrary position at school it would trigger safeguarding rules.
    I'd like people to tolerate me. I don't require approval. I think there's a significant difference. I'm in a minority in what I'll laughingly call 'my community'.

Cecilia Holland was one of the few historical novelists I've read that truly put people into their time. George MacDonald Fraser has the incomparable Flashman who is absolutely Victorian to a tee - and obnoxious by our standards.
  • Options
    John_M said:

I think it is important to judge by current standards as well as contemporary standards.

Judging only by modern standards is, of course, foolish but I think blithely accepting contemporary 'norms' to measure historical figures gainst misses the opportunity for discovering the interesting and quixotic about them.

I love, for instance, that every cup of tea drunk by anti-slavery advocates in their meetings was purchased by the forced at gun point sale of opium to the Chinese.
  • Options

--------------------------------------------------------

Exactly. Now if we think such attitudes are wrong, we should be arguing that from first principles and appealing to people's reason.

What is instead happening is that PC attitudes are being ingrained and enforced in the same way that religious dogmas used to be, as an unchallengeable truth. That is a form of oppression.

And people are sufficiently scared of appearing to transgress these new religious dogmas and be condemned by the PC priesthood, that they are willing to tolerate far worse things going on e.g. Rotherham, FGM etc.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    LBC
    Avon and Somerset Police say a human foot has been found in a garden in Bath, the third foot to be discovered in the area in recent weeks.

Is it Jake the Peg?!

Oh no, Rolf is in the Clink
  • Options
    John_M said:

runnymede said:

OllyT said:

PlatoSaid said:

Y0kel said:

My Mum was extremely disdainful of 'poofters' until one of her grandsons came out. When a particular part of society is seen as the 'Other', it can be mocked and despised. Once you realise you know some (say) gay people, it changes your views.

Obama coming out in favour of gay marriage had a dramatic effect on its approval amongst african-americans.

Britain decriminalised homosexuality long before the public was in favour of it.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    PlatoSaid said:

LBC
    Avon and Somerset Police say a human foot has been found in a garden in Bath, the third foot to be discovered in the area in recent weeks.

Now they have a yard.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited August 2016
    PlatoSaid said:

LBC

Has the victim be identified yet as Jake the Peg…!
  • Options
    Alistair said:

John_M said:

I think it is important to judge by current standards as well as contemporary standards.

Judging only by modern standards is, of course, foolish but I think blithely accepting contemporary 'norms' to measure historical figures gainst misses the opportunity for discovering the interesting and quixotic about them.

I love, for instance, that every cup of tea drunk by anti-slavery advocates in their meetings was purchased by the forced at gun point sale of opium to the Chinese.
    Absolutely. We don't hear much about the Opium wars. Not our finest hour.

What I do admire about the Victorians (I guess it falls into the Regency as well), is once we'd decided to abolish slavery, we had the arrogance to decide that it was banned for all, hence the West Africa squadron.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

LBC

Now they have a yard.
    :lol:

Are they all Left footers?
  • Options

I thought there was a law against that sort of thing, dating from just after the Kennedy era?
    There is.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

LBC

Has the victim be identified yet as Jake the Peg…!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GS-itkO9ia8
  • Options
    runnymede said:

Exactly. Now if we think such attitudes are wrong, we should be arguing that from first principles and appealing to people's reason.

What is instead happening is that PC attitudes are being ingrained and enforced in the same way that religious dogmas used to be, as an unchallengeable truth. That is a form of oppression.

And people are sufficiently scared of appearing to transgress these new religious dogmas and be condemned by the PC priesthood, that they are willing to tolerate far worse things going on e.g. Rotherham, FGM etc.

Whatever cause it is, Out Groups tend to argue for tolerance and free thought, whereas In Groups argue for the enforcement of orthodoxy. If Out Groups become In Groups they tend to drop tolerance, in favour of enforcing the new orthodoxy.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

John_M said:

runnymede said:

OllyT said:

PlatoSaid said:

Y0kel said:

Obama coming out in favour of gay marriage had a dramatic effect on its approval amongst african-americans.

Britain decriminalised homosexuality long before the public was in favour of it.
    I'm still not sure the UK is actively in favour of homosexuality. It's just not seen as salient.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    John_M said:

Alistair said:

John_M said:

runnymede said:

OllyT said:

PlatoSaid said:

Y0kel said:

[...]

I'm still not sure the UK is actively in favour of homosexuality. It's just not seen as salient.
    What does it mean to be "actively in favour"?
  • Options
    JackW said:

Sandpit said:

Maybe if we can keep the first innings deficit to 100 there's a slim chance. Not optimistic at us getting 400 second time around though, which is what we'll need to turn it around.
  • Options
    Andrew Neil ‏@afneil 25m
    No. Osbo said taxes would have to rise and spending cut. You telling me that will happen in autumn statement?

Rupert Harrison @rbrharrison
    @afneil 1st, he was making the (correct) argument that Brexit would hit the economy, 2nd, I'd advise waiting for the OBR's autumn forecast

(Andrew Neil ‏@afneil 6h6 hours ago
    Oh I don't know. Your mate Osbourne managed it when he threatened us with his punishment budget ...)
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    JackW said:

Latest Nate Silver forecasts :

Clinton 81.7 .. Trump 18.3 - Polls Only
    Clinton 75.4 .. Trump 24.6 - Polls Plus
    Clinton 92.9 .. Trump 7.1 - Nowcast

http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-election-forecast/#now

With Clinton winning Arizona and Georgia!
  • Options
    edited August 2016

John_M said:

Alistair said:

John_M said:

runnymede said:

OllyT said:

PlatoSaid said:

Y0kel said:

[...]

I meant in favour of decriminalising.
  • Options
    John_M said:

Alistair said:

John_M said:

What I do admire about the Victorians (I guess it falls into the Regency as well), is once we'd decided to abolish slavery, we had the arrogance to decide that it was banned for all, hence the West Africa squadron.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malabo#British_Presence
  • Options
    John_M said:

Alistair said:

John_M said:

runnymede said:

OllyT said:

PlatoSaid said:

Y0kel said:

Its a clever move

Personally I issue with people using these words because it reflects more on them as people than anything else.

You mean it's not a deeply penetrating issue?
  • Options

John_M said:

Alistair said:

John_M said:

runnymede said:

OllyT said:

PlatoSaid said:

Y0kel said:

Its a clever move

Personally I issue with people using these words because it reflects more on them as people than anything else.

You mean it's not a deeply penetrating issue?
    Oh Sunil. You're incorrigible :).
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,991
    edited August 2016
    Sandpit said:

JackW said:

Sandpit said:

Maybe if we can keep the first innings deficit to 100 there's a slim chance. Not optimistic at us getting 400 second time around though, which is what we'll need to turn it around.
    I've laid England to lose ~ £40 at 2.74 - price looks a bit skinny to me.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,999
    John_M said:

Sean_F said:

John_M said:

OllyT said:

PlatoSaid said:

Y0kel said:

I'm encoay. It's a combination of Brexit, absurd media/political lack of robust language re terrorism and the falling star of the Left in general.

Political correctneswithpolitical correctness.

When we had that idiotic Rhodes Must Fall stuff, I suggested a compromise would be to put a plaque up against all images and statues of historical figures, which stated 'People in the past had different views than we do today - if they were not racist or sexist, chances are they were still arseholes. So get over it'.

Better to hear worthless and offensive thought and comment, than people are restricted from expressing potentially worthy thought and comment through fear of being accused of causing offence.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    John_M said:

What nonsense. Opinion polls have shown support for gay marriage to be 70%. Recent polls have shown even a majority of UKIP supporters are in favour.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

John_M said:

Sean_F said:

John_M said:

OllyT said:

PlatoSaid said:

Y0kel said:

I'm encoay. It's a combination of Brexit, absurd media/political lack of robust language re terrorism and the falling star of the Left in general.

When we had that idiotic Rhodes Must Fall stuff, I suggested a compromise would be to put a plaque up against all images and statues of historical figures, which stated 'People in the past had different views than we do today - if they were not racist or sexist, chances are they were still arseholes. So get over it'.

Better to hear worthless and offensive thought and comment, than people are restricted from expressing potentially worthy thought and comment through fear of being accused of causing offence.
    For me it's just another form of intolerance. Our empire builders, racist, sexist etc as they were, left us some wonderful legacies. We can deplore the former while enjoying and appreciating the latter.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    John_M said:

Sean_F said:

John_M said:

OllyT said:

I meant in favour of decriminalising.

I seem to recall the polling is very supportive now. I suspect the attitudes of several governments have had a part to play in this. Difficult to quantify of course. In my case in the late 60s the 1967 Act was something I felt to be very significant.
  • Options

-------------------

-----------------

Over in Iraq and Syria, of course, a group of nutters has indeed been engaged in trying to destroy all evidence of an 'inappropriate' past.

The Rhodes Must Fall tendency are pretty similar IMO.
  • Options
    John_M said:

Alistair said:

John_M said:

Watched a surprisingly non-emotional web series on the Opium Wars just the other day (The ExtraHistory web series), not non-critical of selling opium and going to war over the right to do so, but covering the reasons why it was such a big deal and the arrogant misunderstandings and brinkmanship on the various sides. Fascinating period.
  • Options

Dancing around a glitter ball in your drawing room ....
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205

Andrew Neil ‏@afneil 25m
    No. Osbo said taxes would have to rise and spending cut. You telling me that will happen in autumn statement?

@afneil 1st, he was making the (correct) argument that Brexit would hit the economy, 2nd, I'd advise waiting for the OBR's autumn forecast

Oh I don't know. Your mate Osbourne managed it when he threatened us with his punishment budget ...)

Not very impartial for a BBC employee....but spot on.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    As you were, link failure :).

Basic point. 16% supported gay marriage in 1975, 69% in 2014.

*edit* here's a snapshot of present day attitudes in general.

• Options
    John_M said:

kle4 said:

John_M said:

Sean_F said:

John_M said:

OllyT said:

PlatoSaid said:

Y0kel said:

For me it's just another form of intolerance. Our empire builders, racist, sexist etc as they were, left us some wonderful legacies. We can deplore the former while enjoying and appreciating the latter.
    Morally difficult if one is built on the other.
  • Options
    John_M said:

kle4 said:

John_M said:

Sean_F said:

John_M said:

OllyT said:

PlatoSaid said:

Y0kel said:

At is inception Political Correctness was really no more than an attempt to bring a little civility and politeness into public life, saying it is no longer acceptable to openly call people n**ggers, k*kes, PaK*is or whole notion.

Personally I d

seems to have been replaced by a desire to eliminate offensiveness and whitewash the past. This seems to be a daft approach.

When
    Indeed we can. This country has done some wonderful things. It has done some terrible things. We should be aware of both, but the latter does not mean we cannot celebrate the former, or that we should feel personally guilty about terrible deeds from centuries past, who does that help. And historical figures can be all the more fascinating when viewed through our sensibilities contrasted with the time they lived in, for us to admire and respect their views and actions in some ways, but find others intolerable. It's much more real and human than pretending a 'good' person from history would implicitly like the things we like today.

As they say, it is wrong to make gods out of men, but it is also wrong to make Devils out of men.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Andrew Neil ‏@afneil 25m

Not very impartial for a BBC employee....but spot on.
    Andrew Neil consistently calls politicians of all colours out for their ignorance or deception so it's entirely impartial. Best journalist on the BBC by a large margin as a result.
  • Options

John_M said:

kle4 said:

John_M said:

Sean_F said:

John_M said:

OllyT said:

PlatoSaid said:

Y0kel said:

I do hope those sincere souls within the Black Lives Matter

For me it's just another form of intolerance. Our empire builders, racist, sexist etc as they were,latter.
    Nobodies historical legacy is free of moral difficulty, we cannot ignore it but it would be an overreaction to have that disallow any celebration.

Where people think there is a lack of moral difficulty, I'd bet good money it's through ignorance of historical realities in that case.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    MaxPB said:

John_M said:

Carney is so overrated. They say he helped to save the Canadian economy, forgetting ofcourse commodity prices at the time were still rising.
  • Options

John_M said:

kle4 said:

John_M said:

Sean_F said:

John_M said:

OllyT said:

PlatoSaid said:

Y0kel said:

I'm just not that refined David. Once you go down this road, you appreciate that almost all of our history is based on exploitation. Our great cathedrals only came about due to the suppression of the Celtic church and replacement with Roman rites. Who knows how many died to build the iconic castles of Wales and the marches? On a personal level, my father's family were Irish navvies bought over to dig the canals, and were exploited unmercifully in the process.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,005
    Good afternoon, everyone.

I dislike this wimpish guilt-ridden bet-wetting view of history some have.

Every country has been full of bastards throughout history. It's just that ours were more competent than most. Feeling guilty because some blokes did bad stuff two centuries ago is deranged.

Olympic rambling:
    http://thaddeusthesixth.blogspot.co.uk/2016/08/ancient-olympics.html
  • Options

------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As just about everyone living before 1900 or perhaps even 1950 held views or engaged in practices that the modern PC priesthood would deem unacceptable, that line if reasoning suggests we should indeed be heading down the same road as ISIS in condemning and even destroying the past.

I'm sure that's not what you think David. But how do you strike a middle position? Do we say hurrah to things where we suspect there was a bit less racism, sexism, labour exploitation etc. and boo hiss to those where we suspect that maybe there was a bit more? How to we gauge that?

It's a nonsense.
  • Options

Every country has been full of bastards throughout history. It's just that ours were more competent than most. Feeling guilty because some blokes did bad stuff two centuries ago is deranged.

Olympic rambling:

:+1:
  • Options
    DromedaryDromedary Posts: 1,194
    edited August 2016
    notme said:

Gay marriage and the adoption of children by homosexual couples are now so considered to be the 'right thing', that to claim otherwise (and to tell your children otherwise) would put you on an extremist watch list.

To get on the watch list, is it enough to claim otherwise, or do you have to tell your children otherwise as well? Serious question.

They'd better put me on the list. I'm with the vast majority of the world's population who support, or are OK with, the authorities favouring the raising of children by a man and a woman and not letting gay couples adopt. Men and women are essentially different, as we all know. Never mind that a tiny percentage of people are in the grey area - that's no counterargument. Being raised by their parents, or, if that's not an option, at least by a man and a woman, is good for children and should be officially encouraged and not considered "equal" to being raised by a gay couple. For that reason, gay marriage should not be allowed. If two people of the same sex want to sign a contract whereby they inherit from each other, or whatever, let them.
    notme said:

Indeed gay marriage is such a British Value (tm), that if your children dared to project a contrary position at school it would trigger safeguarding rules.

Now that I can believe.

• Options
    John_M said:

John_M said:

kle4 said:

John_M said:

Sean_F said:

John_M said:

OllyT said:

PlatoSaid said:

Y0kel said:

then appropriated it and took it to ridiculous extremes and discredited the whole notion.

appreciating the latter.
    I'm just not that refined David. Once you go down this road, you appreciate that almost all of our history is based on exploitation. Our great cathedrals only came about due to the suppression of the Celtic church and replacement with Roman rites. Who knows how many died to build the iconic castles of Wales and the marches? On a personal level, my father's family were Irish navvies bought over to dig the canals, and were exploited unmercifully in the process.
    The settlement of most of the World involved driving away or subjugating previous inhabitants. The agricultural and industrial revolutions involved massive exploitation. If we are more enlightened than former generations, it is because we can afford to be. Conversely, if we were placed in their situations, we would behave similarly.
  • Options

Olympic rambling:

And quite often, people had no option but to do bad stuff, if they and their families were to survive.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    John_M said:

Basic point. 16% supported gay marriage in 1975, 69% in 2014.

And for the record, 1.5% of people in Britain are gay or bisexual, with the proportion rising to a whopping 1.8% in London. (Source: the survey of nearly 450,000 people conducted by the British government's Office of National Statistics, reported for example here by the BBC.)
  • Options
    Dromedary said:

notme said:

Gay marriage and the adoption of children by homosexual couples are now so considered to be the 'right thing', that to claim otherwise (and to tell your children otherwise) would put you on an extremist watch list.

To get on the watch list, is it enough to claim otherwise, or do you have to tell your children otherwise as well? Serious question.

They'd better put me on the list. I'm with the vast majority of the world's population who support, or are OK with, the authorities favouring the raising of children by a man and a woman and not letting gay couples adopt. Men and women are essentially different, as we all know. Never mind that a tiny percentage of people are in the grey area - that's no counterargument. Being raised by their parents, or, if that's not an option, at least by a man and a woman, is good for children and should be officially encouraged and not considered "equal" to being raised by a gay couple. For that reason, gay marriage should not be allowed. If two people of the same sex want to sign a contract whereby they inherit from each other, or whatever, let them.
    notme said:

Indeed gay marriage is such a British Value (tm), that if your children dared to project a contrary position at school it would trigger safeguarding rules.

Now that I can believe.

You'd rather a child in a institutional care home than adopted by a loving (gay) couple?
  • Options
    runnymede said:

------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As just about everyone living before 1900 or perhaps even 1950 held views or engaged in practices that the modern PC priesthood would deem unacceptable, that line if reasoning suggests we should indeed be heading down the same road as ISIS in condemning and even destroying the past.

I'm sure that's not what you think David. But how do you strike a middle position? Do we say hurrah to things where we suspect there was a bit less racism, sexism, labour exploitation etc. and boo hiss to those where we suspect that maybe there was a bit more? How to we gauge that?

It's a nonsense.

History does not travel in an automatically more liberal direction either. Sixteenth century Europe was a good deal more intolerant than fifteenth century Europe. The Middle East is a good deal more intolerant now than it was 50 years ago. For all we know, the UK might have converted to Islam 100 years from now. I wouldn't consider it fair to judge people alive today in the UK by the values of such a society.
  • Options

Every country has been full of bastards throughout history.

Yes. What I dislike is the hypocritical assumption or assertion that it's otherwise now. Britain and other countries are run by bastards now. There's a ruling class, and a ruling elite within that class, and they're self-serving bastards to the core, and that's just as it was in 1400 or 1800. Mass media and its product called modern democracy doesn't negate that fact; it just covers it with hypocrisy so that getting anywhere near a truthful take on society feels like wading through a thick layer of you-know-what.
  • Options
    Mr. F, women had better rights in 9th century Saxon England than 12th century Norman England.

The assumption things get better over time is plain wrong (the Dark Ages being better than Rome under Vespasian or Trajan would be an unorthodox view of improving conditions).
  • Options
    runnymede said:

runnymede said:

-------------------

-----------------

Over in Iraq and Syria, of course, a group of nutters has indeed been engaged in trying to destroy all evidence of an 'inappropriate' past.

I was in Ukraine last month on holiday. Over the past couple of years there they've removed loads of statues and references to anyone Russian or Soviet, in one city there was an empty plinth in the main square, where a huge statue of Lenin had stood for decades until last year. Sad.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Dromedary said:

notme said:

notme said:

Now that I can believe.

You'd rather a child in a institutional care home than adopted by a loving (gay) couple?
    No - I don't believe there is an insurmountable shortage of loving heterosexual couples wanting to adopt. If there is a shortage, advertise more.
  • Options

Mr. F, women had better rights in 9th century Saxon England than 12th century Norman England.

The assumption things get better over time is plain wrong (the Dark Ages being better than Rome under Vespasian or Trajan would be an unorthodox view of improving conditions).

In broad terms, conditions do probably generally improve, all else being equal, because people find better ways of doing things and social pressures can be extremely powerful. But that trend can be both extremely slow and also subject to all sorts of external shocks, from climate to war to pandemics to (more locally) invasions and gross misgovernance.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

runnymede said:

runnymede said:

-------------------

-----------------

I was in Ukraine last month on holiday. Over the past couple of years there they've removed loads of statues and references to anyone Russian or Soviet, in one city there was an empty plinth in the main square, where a huge statue of Lenin had stood for decades until last year. Sad.
    Yes, they should totally keep the statues to a regime that visited famine and ethnic cleansing upon them. Makes total sense.
  • Options
    Mr. Herdson, hmm.

Debatable, I think.

Social pressures aren't inherently positive. It was social pressure that led to Athens killing almost its entire military leadership during the Peloponnesian War. There's social pressure from some to make it illegal to insult a 7th century foreigner because their delicate feelings can't take it.
  • Options
    Dromedary said:

Every country has been full of bastards throughout history.

Yes. What I dislike is the hypocritical assumption or assertion that it's otherwise now. Britain and other countries are run by bastards now. There's a ruling class, and a ruling elite within that class, and they're self-serving bastards to the core, and that's just as it was in 1400 or 1800. Mass media and its product called modern democracy doesn't negate that fact; it just covers it with hypocrisy so that getting anywhere near a truthful take on society feels like wading through a thick layer of you-know-what.
    The idea that there's a ruling class in the sense of a self-perpetuating group, closed off from and to the rest of society is just nonsense. Certainly, the rich and well-connected have advantages but social mobility is better and easier now than it was any time before 1945, though it's worse than it was between, say, 1945 and 2000.
This discussion has been closed.