Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Betting on will Boris Johnson’s tenure as Foreign Secretary

2»

Comments

• Options
    Y0kel said:

There has been an explosion at a restaurant in Germany in Ansbach. No idea of cause yet. One dead, number injured.

Times like these you actually wish for it to be a gas cylinder accident.

Local media reporting that it is a gas explosion.
  • Options
    Paul_BedfordshirePaul_Bedfordshire Posts: 3,632
    edited July 2016
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

John_M said:

rcs1000 said:

John_M said:

OT I was reading around the case for (and against!) Hinckley-C.

Decided to have a look back at the last nuclear power station that we built, Sizewell-B. It just confirms that we're crap at planning and making decisions. It was originally envisaged in 1969(!). Design decision for an AGR was announced in 1980. the public enquiry took over three years. Ground was broken in 1987 and it entered service in 1995.

We have got to be more decisive as a country.

Indecisiveness will hopefully save us a fortune as regards to Hinckley-C.

Anyone building anything other than a CCGT today needs their head examining.
    But Robert, you barbarian, what about the CO2 emissions? Won't somebody think of the children polar bears? Now excuse me, I'm off to make a flower bracelet.
    CCGTs emit pretty modest quantities of CO2.
    Logical thing would seem to be to can that Nuke Station in Somerset and bung Rolls Royce a wodge of taxpayers money to turn their sub nuke geberators into medium size power plants
    The modular nuclear power station won't be viable. We need to make better long term bets like laser fusion and tidal.
    I struggle to find any cheaper way of generating power that will be cheaper than Distributed Solar + CCGTs for the next 50 years.
    If a 4kw solar system falls from 6-8k to 3-4k then I might go for one...

But only if I buy it outright, own it and just get paid a rate for anything I export to the network.

Sod having a charge on the house to have someone elses solar gear on the roof for 20 years in return for a cut of the profits.
  • Options
    FenmanFenman Posts: 1,047
    rcs1000 said:

MikeK said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

John_M said:

rcs1000 said:

John_M said:

Decided to have a look back at the last nuclear power station that we built, Sizewell-B. It just confirms that we're crap at planning and making decisions. It was originally envisaged in 1969(!). Design decision for an AGR was announced in 1980. the public enquiry took over three years. Ground was broken in 1987 and it entered service in 1995.

But Robert, you barbarian, what about the CO2 emissions? Won't somebody think of the children polar bears? Now excuse me, I'm off to make a flower bracelet.
    Logical thing would seem to be to can that Nuke Station in Somerset and bung Rolls Royce a wodge of taxpayers money to turn their sub nuke geberators into medium size power plants
    The modular nuclear power station won't be viable. We need to make better long term bets like laser fusion and tidal.
    I struggle to find any cheaper way of generating power that will be cheaper than Distributed Solar + CCGTs for the next 50 years.
    Nuclear Fusion is the way to go but the path to getting there is fraught with peril. Oh for Fusion in a Bottle. ;)
    Billions have been thrown at nuclear fusion. The problem is that it's really, really hard.
    The SUN does it every day
  • Options

Y0kel said:

There has been an explosion at a restaurant in Germany in Ansbach. No idea of cause yet. One dead, number injured.

Unfortunately my response to that given recent events is - well they would say that, wouldnt they....
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    edited July 2016
    Y0kel said:

Update; First reports suggest it may well be a gas explosion.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,730
    edited July 2016

John_M said:

nunu said:

Police in Germany have arrested another teenager in connection with the 'lone wolf' shooting in Munich.

cover up incoming............
    16 year old Afghani national, according to Munich Police official Twitter feed.
    "locally known as Derek"?
    Is it too soon to say '16 years old, my arse?'
    Why have all these Germans got English and Welsh names?

What is wrong with Helmut Hans and A....
    David isn't English, it's Hebrew. It's a fairly common name in Germany as in the UK, but is pronounced dah-veed.
    It's also common in southern India and Sri Lanka, among the Christian community.

eg. the SKY's Dharshini David.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,386

Y0kel said:

Unfortunately my response to that given recent events is - well they would say that, wouldnt they....
    They would, of course, also say that if it is indeed a gas explosion.
  • Options
    Fenman said:

rcs1000 said:

MikeK said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

John_M said:

rcs1000 said:

John_M said:

Nuclear Fusion is the way to go but the path to getting there is fraught with peril. Oh for Fusion in a Bottle. ;)
    Billions have been thrown at nuclear fusion. The problem is that it's really, really hard.
    Indeed, but gravitational confinement is a bit of a non-starter on Earth due to the difficulty of siting a 2 × 10^30 kg chunk of matter anywhere.
  • Options
    Fenman said:

rcs1000 said:

MikeK said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

John_M said:

rcs1000 said:

John_M said:

Was it intelligently designed?
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,109

nunu said:

nunu said:

Police in Germany have arrested another teenager in connection with the 'lone wolf' shooting in Munich.

"locally known as Derek"?
    Alright, Dave?
    This is going to be a bigger cover up than Cologne isn't it?
    That's just absurd. Why are people on this site so desperate for this to have been anything more than it very obviously appears to be: a rampage by a deranged kid with a grudge?
    People want to believe that they are the good guys in the war of Britain versus EU, Britain versus Islam, Britain versus Labour, etc. etc.
  • Options

Fenman said:

rcs1000 said:

MikeK said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

John_M said:

rcs1000 said:

John_M said:

Indeed, but gravitational confinement is a bit of a non-starter on Earth due to the difficulty of siting a 2 × 10^30 kg chunk of matter anywhere.
    Lol
  • Options
    ThrakThrak Posts: 494
    edited July 2016

Thrak said:

nunu said:

Withholding information, looks like a school mate (not that he appears to have had many) who knew about it but kept quiet.
    Knew about his illegal guns presumably rather than his plans to smite various shoppers with them?
    Maybe, didn't alert anyone (with whatever it was he knew) though.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    Fenman said:

rcs1000 said:

MikeK said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

John_M said:

rcs1000 said:

John_M said:

Yes, but they pander to the lowest common denominator and indulge racism, sexism and Europhobia. We want Guardian fusion.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Y0kel said:

They would, of course, also say that if it is indeed a gas explosion.
    Lets just wait. Its a situation where there are higher potential risks associated with the location. Currently a festival ongoing, its a notable US military facility. If its an accident its an accident.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

Y0kel said:

sad but true......
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,650
    edited July 2016
    With this gas explosion, any reports of a man fitting the description of uncle Albert in the vicinity?
  • Options

Fenman said:

rcs1000 said:

MikeK said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

John_M said:

rcs1000 said:

John_M said:

Yes, but they pander to the lowest common denominator and indulge racism, sexism and Europhobia. We want Guardian fusion.
    It's the SUNIL wot won it :)
  • Options
    BlueberryBlueberry Posts: 408
    The Guardian lost £173m last year according to tomorrow's FT.

Just burning money. Losing about £3.10 per copy I think. And who on earth would pay the £4.50 break even price?

3 or 4 years and all its reserves will be gone. The consequences will be significant for the BBC - the loss of the benchmark for neutrality - as well as the nursery for editors and the like. Probably not too good the Labour Party either. Doubt they'll be around in 2020.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    An explosion in front of a restaurant in the Ansbacher downtown after SZ-information at least one person was killed - nine others were injured.

An explosion in the Ansbacher downtown a man has been killed, nine others were injured, said a spokesman for the police SZ.de. The explosion thus occurred in front of a wine restaurant in the old town. The cause was initially unclear. Police have cordoned off the area around the restaurant and the crime scene.

http://www.sueddeutsche.de/bayern/ansbach-explosion-in-ansbacher-innenstadt-1.3093425
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Blueberry said:

Just burning money. Losing about £3.10 per copy I think. And who on earth would pay the £4.50 break even price?

3 or 4 years and all its reserves will be gone. The consequences will be significant for the BBC - the loss of the benchmark for neutrality - as well as the nursery for editors and the like. Probably not too good the Labour Party either. Doubt they'll be around in 2020.

They appear to be battling Twitter for who can burn money faster! Neither appear to have any idea how to turn things around.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Moses_ said:

An explosion in front of a restaurant in the Ansbacher downtown after SZ-information at least one person was killed - nine others were injured.

An explosion in the Ansbacher downtown a man has been killed, nine others were injured, said a spokesman for the police SZ.de. The explosion thus occurred in front of a wine restaurant in the old town. The cause was initially unclear. Police have cordoned off the area around the restaurant and the crime scene.

http://www.sueddeutsche.de/bayern/ansbach-explosion-in-ansbacher-innenstadt-1.3093425

In front is a not where you would normally expect a gas accident, unless like those patio heaters.
  • Options

With this gas explosion, any reports of a man fitting the description of uncle Albert in the vicinity?

Well they've sent special units, the SEK, from the regional police for a nosey. I suppose think of the Mets SO19 as an equivalent of a kind.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Y0kel said:

Well they've sent special units, the SEK, from the regional police for a nosey. I suppose think of the Mets SO19 as an equivalent of a kind.
    I am right in thinking in germany, SEK are "local" & GSG 9 are the big daddy dog bollocks units that come from federal level.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,745
    John_M said:

rcs1000 said:

John_M said:

The CO2 (I don't believe in AGW myself, but if we must stop releasing it we must - I don't see the harm) could be sucked from the air and stored as oil. It would be a good use of excess power from renewables.
  • Options

Y0kel said:

I am right in thinking in germany, SEK are "local" & GSG 9 are the big daddy dog bollocks units that come from federal level.
    Its a fair way of putting it.

Given the level of threat to Germany such names will get heard more.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    Blueberry said:

Fantastic news.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,435
    edited July 2016
    http://www.nordbayern.de/region/ansbach/schwere-explosion-erschuttert-ansbach-1.5369153

Local police not confirming that it was a gas explosion.

I wonder if the initial reports were a case of Chinese whispers after an English source heard about a Gaststättenexplosion and got the wrong end of the stick.
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

Blueberry said:

Fantastic news.
    Actually shit news. I don't agree with its political leanings but its a good newspaper.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

http://www.nordbayern.de/region/ansbach/schwere-explosion-erschuttert-ansbach-1.5369153

I wonder if the initial reports were a case of Chinese whispers after an English source heard about a Gaststättenexplosion and got the wrong end of the stick.

If that is the case they clearly skipped their German lessons at school!
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039

Blueberry said:

They appear to be battling Twitter for who can burn money faster! Neither appear to have any idea how to turn things around.
    The Guardian's strategy to date seems to have been "hire more journalists". Now I'm as contrarian as the next man [actually, maybe not him], but that looked odd.
  • Options

Highly confused stuff from Ansbach, some of it worrying but hopefully 2+2 = 74 stuff.
  • Options

Gast not Gas LOL

A "Rock" in German is something you can wear :)
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Ansbach explosion was a bomb according to the mayor.

Some concern over someone with a backpack seen nearby.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,435
    Y0kel said:

Confirmed in a press conference.

http://www.nordbayern.de/region/ansbach/burgermeisterin-explosion-in-ansbach-durch-sprengsatz-1.5369153
  • Options
    AramintaMoonbeamQCAramintaMoonbeamQC Posts: 3,660
    edited July 2016
    BBC World journo on Twitter, quoting Mayor of Ansbach, saying 'explosive device' now.

• Options
    As unlikely as this sounds, they may have got lucky. There was an incident at a nearby concert in the minutes before. This may have been a diverted attack.

We shall soon see if related.
  • Options

BBC World on Twitter, quoting Mayor of Ansbach saying 'explosive device' now.

Yes, she said "Sprengkörper", and "explosive device" is probably the best translation.
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    Y0kel said:

MP_SE said:

Blueberry said:

Fantastic news.
    Actually shit news. I don't agree with its political leanings but its a good newspaper.
    Quite right.

Ultimately you need the odd newspaper that's willing to do some journalistic heavy lifting, not just puffy lifestyle pieces, advertorials, listicles and copying the actual news off someone else.

Within living memory, the Daily Express was a "proper" newspaper. Within recent memory, the Independent was a newspaper. (In practice it was essentially cannibalised by the i - but which had more meat on the bones?) The Telegraph seems to have decided to go along the same route as the Express. Hasn't quite descended the same depths yet, but that's a road easier to walk down than to reverse course and retreat back to the higher ground from.

I don't think the Guardian is in any danger of closure but it could well become a shell of its former self - must be tempting to go down the HuffPost route and become primarily a repository of right-on opinion pieces.

I don't want to live in a country where the only two serious, generalist sources of news outside of state control are the Murdoch group and the Mail.
  • Options
    Y0kel said:

As unlikely as this sounds, they may have got lucky. There was an incident at a nearby concert in the minutes before. This may have been a diverted attack.

There are unconfirmed reports that the carrier of the backpack had been refused entry to the concert.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Germany - reports it was a bomb
  • Options
    Y0kel said:

Reports of this filtering through via Twitter now - someone denied access to a music festival, so detonated elsewhere? Could have been much worse, if true.
  • Options
    Nearby concert cancelled and large area shut down
  • Options
    It will be interesting regarding the target location. Ansbach is not big but as pointed out downthread is a notable US military location including families and reasonably integrated. An association will need to be considered on the list.
  • Options
    Y0kel said:

why were they so quick to say it was a gas cylinder?

the German security seem to have become political.
  • Options
    nunu said:

Y0kel said:

That didn't come from the Police directly, it was local media speculation that we were picking up online. First presser held with Mayor/Police said it was an IED.
  • Options
    nunu said:

Y0kel said:

As soon as the SEK were turning up it wasn't an accident.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    "The interior ministry said that the explosion appeared to have been intentional, contradicting initial reports that suggested it might have been a gas explosion."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-36880758

• Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    Diabetes Type 1 and Prime Minister. Haven't heard the broadcast, but may listen to it later.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04288b3
  • Options

BBC World journo on Twitter, quoting Mayor of Ansbach, saying 'explosive device' now.

nothing to do with terrorism am sure, just a local argument....
  • Options
    FeersumEnjineeyaFeersumEnjineeya Posts: 3,942
    edited July 2016
    nunu said:

Y0kel said:

They didn't say it was a gas cylinder - that was just a rumour.

Earlier on, the police spokesman specifically denied this claim, saying that all they knew was that there had been an explosion and that they did not yet have information on its cause.

Edit: Subsequently, as we have seen, the mayor of Ansbach has confirmed that the explosion was caused by an explosive device.
  • Options

Yes, she said "Sprengkörper", and "explosive device" is probably the best translation.
    FPT ... since you obviously have an interest in languages and German in particular. I did go away and check, and indeed it is the case that English is classed as a Germanic language because of its historic descent (compare Old English to Old German) and structure. The fact that most words (not weighted by usage) are of Romantic origin doesn't overwrite that in any way. As you said, the most common words are often older and more Germanic, for instance they obey Grimm's Law. Moreover irregular forms are often older (more recently incorporated words are given regular forms) and almost always Germanic. Compare singen/sang/gesungen with sing/sang/sung, which shows quite deep structural similarities between English and German, as does genitive -s and way we use modal verbs. In comparison, the fact that English sentence order more closely resembles French is a rather superficial similarity. (Also worth bearing in mind that German has some features that are, counterintuitively, not typical of Germanic languages as a whole - one needs to compare to other members of the family too.)

Wikipedia actually has a decent section on why English counts as Germanic.
  • Options
    Suicide bomber.
  • Options
    Speculation it was a suicide bomber.
  • Options
    The website of the wine bar says it closes on Sundays though maybe it opens for special events like festivals.
  • Options
    JennyFreemanJennyFreeman Posts: 488
    Great thread and, I suspect, spot on. Boris has shown considerable staying power. I wouldn't bet on him being out before the next GE so this is really a punt on when that will be. I'd still go for 2020. Altering the Fixed Term Parliament Act is going to be too complex.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Y0kel said:

Suicide bomber.

Merkel has a lot to answer for.

no doubt it has nothing to do with isis etc, ffs I woul be so pissed if I was German.
  • Options
    Suspect this was a lit device, not electrical or electronic or tube detonated
  • Options
    Lets hope the stupid little sod only managed to blow himself up.
  • Options

The website of the wine bar says it closes on Sundays though maybe it opens for special events like festivals.

It wasn't inside which is very lucky.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    Perhaps it went off by accident? Hard to believe the concert wasn't the target, too close.
  • Options
    Coverage of the Trump speech criticised the content for being too dark. The way things are going he might well be reflecting the national mood over there.
  • Options
    Y0kel said:

It looked like the type of place I would be happy to drink a few pints of fine German beer.
  • Options
    JennyFreemanJennyFreeman Posts: 488

Coverage of the Trump speech criticised the content for being too dark. The way things are going he might well be reflecting the national mood over there.

Yep. I think he's going to win because all the ammunition (literally) is stacking up.
  • Options

FPT ... since you obviously have an interest in languages and German in particular. I did go away and check, and indeed it is the case that English is classed as a Germanic language because of its historic descent (compare Old English to Old German) and structure. The fact that most words (not weighted by usage) are of Romantic origin doesn't overwrite that in any way. As you said, the most common words are often older and more Germanic, for instance they obey Grimm's Law. Moreover irregular forms are often older (more recently incorporated words are given regular forms) and almost always Germanic. Compare singen/sang/gesungen with sing/sang/sung, which shows quite deep structural similarities between English and German, as does genitive -s and way we use modal verbs. In comparison, the fact that English sentence order more closely resembles French is a rather superficial similarity. (Also worth bearing in mind that German has some features that are, counterintuitively, not typical of Germanic languages as a whole - one needs to compare to other members of the family too.)

Yes, thanks, that is interesting. After a somewhat varied career, I currently earn a crust as a translator of technical German into English, and you're quite right: the deep similarities between English and German are unmistakeable.

I guess you might say that German is a "purer" version of their common ancestor, in that it has kept features such the various adjectival endings denoting case. English has been much more strongly influenced by the Romance languages which, though giving a wider vocabulary, has led to the loss of word endings and a stronger reliance on word order to define the meaning of sentences. It's also led to the rather confusing use of the "s" suffix to denote both the genitive case (from Germanic) and plurals (from Romance) - hence the need for apostrophes!
  • Options

Perhaps it went off by accident? Hard to believe the concert wasn't the target, too close.

Reports that the bomber was turned away from the concert, possibly due to having a backpack? Could have been so much worse.
  • Options

Yep. I think he's going to win because all the ammunition (literally) is stacking up.
    Not often a party gets a third term as President too. The last two times were 1988 and 1940 and Hillary is not exactly exciting, new or "hope and changey".
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976

Y0kel said:

It looked like the type of place I would be happy to drink a few pints of fine German beer.
    Been there, it’s a charming little medieval town as so many are around that region. My in-laws live in another only 40 kms or so from it.
  • Options

Y0kel said:

Been there, it’s a charming little medieval town as so many are around that region. My in-laws live in another only 40 kms or so from it.
    I have only been to Germany a few times, but have always enjoyed it when I was there. It felt so safe as well.
  • Options

Yes, thanks, that is interesting. After a somewhat varied career, I currently earn a crust as a translator of technical German into English, and you're quite right: the deep similarities between English and German are unmistakeable.

I guess you might say that German is a "purer" version of their common ancestor, in that it has kept features such the various adjectival endings denoting case. English has been much more strongly influenced by the Romance languages which, though giving a wider vocabulary, has led to the loss of word endings and a stronger reliance on word order to define the meaning of sentences. It's also led to the rather confusing use of the "s" suffix to denote both the genitive case (from Germanic) and plurals (from Romance) - hence the need for apostrophes!
    On the flip side I recall from somewhere (though I can't find a citation off-hand) that the construction of "noun-with-genitive-s followed immediately by possessed noun" e.g. "the dog's toy" is something that was present in earlier forms of German, has been retained by English, but lost in modern German...

Night all.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    edited July 2016

Trump has caught the mood of the country. Obama was on TV the other day saying that Trump's dark utterings don't reflect what folks feel every day. An hour later Munich began.

The same thing happened with Paris and Brussels - Obama is on TV with his sunny world view and in each case within hours horror breaks out.

The Democrats are going to say that things are not as bad as Trump makes out.

But as you say the ammunition is stacking up against that.

Incidentally Debbie Wasserman Schultz will get her time on stage at the DNC, though apparently not in prime time.

Her replacement, CNN correspondent Donna Brazile, is in the Wikileaks emails saying she thinks Sanders is 'stupid', and she doesn't know how to deal with him or his campaign any more. This also shows CNN's problems in political coverage, with most of their political team being unabashed lefties - maybe that's why their ratings are so bad.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,162
    Tim_B said:

Trump has caught the mood of the country. Obama was on TV the other day saying that Trump's dark utterings don't reflect what folks feel every day. An hour later Munich began.

The same thing happened with Paris and Brussels - Obama is on TV with his sunny world view and in each case within hours horror breaks out.

The thing about this is Trump and ISIS have a synergistic relationship: It greatly helps their cause if Trump wins, so assuming they have the capacity to organize attacks in the US (or on Americans elsewhere) they can time them for maximum effect on the US elections.

This makes it quite hard to call: Even if it looks like Hillary is cruising towards a win, it could all be upset the day before the election.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

On the flip side I recall from somewhere (though I can't find a citation off-hand) that the construction of "noun-with-genitive-s followed immediately by possessed noun" e.g. "the dog's toy" is something that was present in earlier forms of German, has been retained by English, but lost in modern German...

Night all.

That construct is also found in Arabic. Indefinite noun A + definite noun B = the A of B, or B's A.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 19,078
    MP_SE said:

Blueberry said:

Fantastic news.
    When did the G last pay Corporation Tax? 1930?
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,945
    Surely once Brexit is negotiated (2018 or 2019) - the time is ripe for May to do a reshuffle?
    10-1 on 2019 seems tempting if you don't mind waiting...
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,058
    Good morning, everyone.

Just seen the suicide bomber headline. Tragic that another David, a loner, whose motives are unclear, exploded for reasons that are uncertain.

It sounds like the only person he managed to kill was himself, so that's something.

Could be wrong, but I don't the BBC News at Ten last night even mentioned the machete attack.
  • Options
    I thought people were joking.

But a public official in Germany did actually say unclear whether this was a suicide attempt or he wanted to hurt others.

Read it in the Telegraph and saw it on Beeb.

Wow, just wow.

I am sure German hausefraus are convinced by that......
This discussion has been closed.