Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » After another massive political 7 days in the UK & US it’s

124»

Comments

• Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,977
    In the gaps between post I'm watching news with the sound off - with the rolling ticker there isn't much to be lost. The past hour has made me realise how much I rely on listening, and also just how massive Africa is.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    RobD said:

MTimT said:

RobD said:

Wanted to pick up on Mike Smithson's excellent thread re. Corbynistas. It's like dealing with JW's at the moment. There's nothing you can say to them. I had one the other day tell me that 'this antisemitism thing is a fabrication and a red herring.'

I can't really see any other solution now except a breakaway new Labour party. Maybe they should just call themselves 'New Labour.'

Such a name wouldn't be allowed under the 1998(?) Act, I don't think.
    Looking at the Electoral Commission guidance on naming of political parties, I don't think it is a slam dunk that New Labour would not be permitted, but I think it is highly unlikely that it would.

http://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0009/107694/to-names-rp.pdf

My reasoning is this: affixing 'New' in front of an existing party name is not explicitly prohibited, in contrast to 'English', 'British' and 'Independent' which are explicitly banned if used in such manner.

However, in addition to banning names that merely prefix Labour with English, etc... there is the test as to whether the name is likely to mislead and facilitate voters voting in an unintentional manner. Given that 'New Labour' is clearly identified with a wing of the Labour Party, I think it would almost certainly fail this test. ... unless somehow the members of this new party could convince the Electoral Commission somehow that no such confusion could possibly arise as the whole New Labour wing of the party was leaving Labour, and hence there was no New Labour within Labour, so no misleading or confusion. A very long shot...
    Yeah.

The good news for myself, @Scrapheap_as_was et al. is that "The Dry but not Obsessed with the Gays and Europe New Tory Party" is probably sufficiently distinct to be allowed by the commission :D:p
    Isn't there a four word limit? How would you condense that? :p
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,042
    edited July 2016

RobD said:

MTimT said:

RobD said:

Wanted to pick up on Mike Smithson's excellent thread re. Corbynistas. It's like dealing with JW's at the moment. There's nothing you can say to them. I had one the other day tell me that 'this antisemitism thing is a fabrication and a red herring.'

I can't really see any other solution now except a breakaway new Labour party. Maybe they should just call themselves 'New Labour.'

Looking at the Electoral Commission guidance on naming of political parties, I don't think it is a slam dunk that New Labour would not be permitted, but I think it is highly unlikely that it would.

http://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0009/107694/to-names-rp.pdf

My reasoning is this: affixing 'New' in front of an existing party name is not explicitly prohibited, in contrast to 'English', 'British' and 'Independent' which are explicitly banned if used in such manner.

However, in addition to banning names that merely prefix Labour with English, etc... there is the test as to whether the name is likely to mislead and facilitate voters voting in an unintentional manner. Given that 'New Labour' is clearly identified with a wing of the Labour Party, I think it would almost certainly fail this test. ... unless somehow the members of this new party could convince the Electoral Commission somehow that no such confusion could possibly arise as the whole New Labour wing of the party was leaving Labour, and hence there was no New Labour within Labour, so no misleading or confusion. A very long shot...
    Yeah.

The good news for myself, @Scrapheap_as_was et al. is that "The Dry but not Obsessed with the Gays and Europe New Tory Party" is probably sufficiently distinct to be allowed by the commission :D:p
    Easy

The Dry-but-not-Obsessed-with-the-Gays-and-Europe New Tory Party

:) (at least give me 'the'!)
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    RobD said:

Mortimer said:

Wow. Almost an hour without a post and then it becomes a positive rush hour on here.

I'm in Blackburn. Who knew it could be this warm so early in the morning oop north!

Us in the outposts of PB scattered around the world, ensuring the Sun never sets on OGH's empire, lie in wait for activity in the wee hours! :D
    Explains why you are always up later than me - I am on the East Coast. Though in Pakistan right now.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

MTimT said:

RobD said:

Yeah.

Easy

The Dry-but-not-Obsessed-with-the-Gays-and-Europe New Tory Party

:) (at least give me 'the'!)
    IIRC, it's 6 words, so you're ok.
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,562
    Ah what a difference a year doesn't make...

https://twitter.com/guidofawkes/status/623599685769515008
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,692

RobD said:

MTimT said:

RobD said:

Yeah.

The party name can be as long as you like. But the registered description for use on the ballot paper is limited to six words.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,001
    Given Corbyn's impending destruction of Labour as a Parliamentary party of the centre left I guess I have to face up to the idea of never voting in a general election again. That's quite a thing.
  • Options

Given Corbyn's impending destruction of Labour as a Parliamentary party of the centre left I guess I have to face up to the idea of never voting in a general election again. That's quite a thing.

It depends on the strength of your preference for anyone but Tory, surely?
  • Options

Don't be pessimistic, if there's demand for the viewpoint someone will step in to supply it ;)
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

RobD said:

MTimT said:

RobD said:

Yeah.

The party name can be as long as you like. But the registered description for use on the ballot paper is limited to six words.
    I hope @Scrapheap_as_was is noting all of this down!
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Mortimer said:

rcs1000 said:

Mortimer said:

Great piece by Economist (and BNC man) Tim Harford on Brexit and confirmation bias in the FT - also available on his website. Line about accepting bad news being because of Brexit but explaining away good news because it didn't chime with expectations would be well heeded by many on here, myself included:

http://timharford.com/2016/07/brexit-and-the-power-of-wishful-thinking/

That piece was in the FT earlier this week. But, yes, I agree.
    He mentions the betting markets. Wonder if he would write a guest piece - always enjoyed his articles, and more or less.
    I think he'd probably charge for it :)
    And a shame he stops before doing the hard but interesting work on the scenarios!
  • Options
    YellowSubmarineYellowSubmarine Posts: 2,740

Clothes Pegs, Tactical voting, stand yourself. There are always options.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976

Never say never. Statistically, the older you get, the more likely you are to vote Tory.

Hope that cheers you up. :lol:
  • Options
    DisraeliDisraeli Posts: 1,106

The LibDems are a centre/centre-left party. Is there some major reason why you could not vote for them? :smile:
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    IanB2 said:

RobD said:

MTimT said:

RobD said:

Yeah.

Not according to the Electoral Commission. See page 8, bullet 3 - marks (which includes names) must not be more than 6 words.

PS I guess this applies to the name on the ballot paper, but it is a little ambiguous
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    rcs1000 said:
    Interesting insight into nudity and alcohol in Cleveland. Sounds like Trump is not good for business.
  • Options
    Looks like someone will be looking for a new job ...

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-36852365
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    One of my Labour councillors, who is very close to our MP, yesterday analysed the situation for me as "if Smith wins, the problem is solved". I wonder how prevalent this view is among Non-Corby Labour politicians? For it seems remarkably short sighted to me.

Firstly, apart from being not-Corbyn, it cannot be clear even to Labour insiders what Smith actually is. The assumption he will be hugely better seems rash; he may just turn out bad in other ways?

Secondly, as far as I can see Smith is standing on pretty much the same platform as Corbyn, give or take? He may be a bit smoother and less shambolic at putting it across, but will still be offering a left wing programme that much of the public don't want, and will still get monstered by the press. So how much will what the MPs fear - a bad GE defeat - actually improve under Smith?

And thirdly what will the reaction of the Corbyn supporters, who would take a Smith win in current circumstances as another stitch up, be? At best they might leave, reducing Labour's ground army, but surely in many places, and within the party structures, the civil war would continue, or be strengthened?

As far as I can see the current Labour establishment view is 'just get rid of Corbyn and we will worry about everything else afterward'. Which is emotion and desperation, not a strategy!
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,162
    edited July 2016

stand yourself

In FPTP seats in Japan a lot of candidates run as nominal independents, albeit with the endorsement of one or more parties, which don't run candidates of their own.

Maybe that model would work for the left/centre-left in the UK: It gives the candidate a lot of room to optimize their platform for the constituency they're trying to win, and allows the parties get the advantages of a coalition without sullying each other's brands.

Southam Observer would probably work OK as a label for a candidate, as long as they're running in Southam.
  • Options

It's only £500
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

One of my Labour councillors, who is very close to our MP, yesterday analysed the situation for me as "if Smith wins, the problem is solved". I wonder how prevalent this view is among Non-Corby Labour politicians? For it seems remarkably short sighted to me.

Firstly, apart from being not-Corbyn, it cannot be clear even to Labour insiders what Smith actually is. The assumption he will be hugely better seems rash; he may just turn out bad in other ways?

Secondly, as far as I can see Smith is standing on pretty much the same platform as Corbyn, give or take? He may be a bit smoother and less shambolic at putting it across, but will still be offering a left wing programme that much of the public don't want, and will still get monstered by the press. So how much will what the MPs fear - a bad GE defeat - actually improve under Smith?

And thirdly what will the reaction of the Corbyn supporters, who would take a Smith win in current circumstances as another stitch up, be? At best they might leave, reducing Labour's ground army, but surely in many places, and within the party structures, the civil war would continue, or be strengthened?

As far as I can see the current Labour establishment view is 'just get rid of Corbyn and we will worry about everything else afterward'. Which is emotion and desperation, not a strategy!

Indeed, if Momentum mobilize to take over the CLPs and the 'moderates' do not, it really doesn't matter what happens with the leadership battle, as the 'moderates' will be deselected, leading to a new leadership contest.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

It's only £500 (and finding ten residents to nominate you)
  • Options
    MTimT said:

The picture credit is AFP/DM Parody - WTF on the second part?
  • Options
    new thread folks...
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

And thirdly what will the reaction of the Corbyn supporters, who would take a Smith win in the crurrent circumstances as another stitch up, be? At best they might leave, reducing Labour's ground army, but surely in many places, and within the party structures, the civil war would continue, or be strengthened?

I think the councillor is basically correct. The vote is not about choosing someone to win the next GE. Instead, it's a vote about what Labour is: a party that primarily exists to win power through Parliament or a mass member protest group. If Smith wins, it's the former; if Corbyn wins it's the latter. Should Labour commit to Parliament, then everything else can be sorted out over time. If Labour rejects Parliament it says goodbye to ever being in power again.

What Labour MPs and many members fear most is not GE defeat in 2020, but permanent irrelevance. They believe that making Parliament a secondary consideration will do that. They are right. But they will lose.

• Options
    ToryJim said:

MTimT said:

http://www.dotcom.gi/photos/
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

Don't be pessimistic, if there's demand for the viewpoint someone will step in to supply it ;)

Not how it works with FPTP, sadly.

• Options
    ToryJim said:

MTimT said:

That's the name of the freelance photographer - David Parody:

http://www.dotcom.gi/photos/
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    MTimT said:

IanB2 said:

Indeed, if Momentum mobilize to take over the CLPs and the 'moderates' do not, it really doesn't matter what happens with the leadership battle, as the 'moderates' will be deselected, leading to a new leadership contest.
    My guess is that they are thinking/hoping:

- that when Smith gets in he will "do a Kinnock", and tack dramatically to the centre
    - that under Smith the MPs take over the party structures one way or another and expel or marginalise the left-wingers, just as Kinnock did
    - once the dirty work is done Smith will probably lose anyway, and there'll be another election when the ones with real ambition can emerge

My challenges would be:

- Smith's history, such as it is, suggests he is fairly left wing
    - being Welsh doesn't mean he was born with the same internal management skills as Kinnock
    - 'phoning 999 (at the age of 30!) to get an interview with a top policeman doesn't hint at great common sense or ability to foresee the consequences of his actions!
    - the damage already done to the party's image is real and will be difficult to recover
    - this time given their numbers the left-wingers won't be so easy to get rid of

The 'doing our best for Corbyn and losing' approach - now no longer available - did at least offer the prospect of a lesson from the electorate to hold against the left wingers for another generation.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

MTimT said:

RobD said:

Yeah.

Not according to the Electoral Commission. See page 8, bullet 3 - marks (which includes names) must not be more than 6 words.

PS I guess this applies to the name on the ballot paper, but it is a little ambiguous
    Your PS is right. Although it would be peculiar for a party name to be so long that it couldn't also serve as a registered description, nevertheless it can be.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 19,060
    John_M said:

IanB2 said:

John_M said:

MontyHall said:

John_M said:

MontyHall said:

John_M said:

MontyHall said:

My commercial experience is that people don't like surprises. Brexiteers are consistently saying that everything in the garden is rosy. This is the wrong message and the wrong tone.

I don't like my own 'side' making rookie mistakes.
    The next couple of years are going to cost the UK between £20-40 billion in opportunity costs (based on the IFS report). That's manageable, but we shouldn't deny that we could have used the money for something else.

I do agree that economists seem to be only able to offer explanations, rather than predictions. There's a decent chance that the global economy is now too opaque and complex for humans to truly grok it.
    If anything the world is tipping towards deflation which, since so many governments, companies and individuals are carrying huge debts, could be really scary. Japan has been trying to escape from this trap for twenty years, has repeatedly thrown huge amounts of money at it (another wave is about to be unleashed), yet after all this time they still face deflationary pressure and by any objective assessment it is now impossible for them to stop the inexorable rise of their debt, let alone pay it off. The only reason Japan hasn't collapsed is that most of the debt is held domestically and whilst the plates keep spinning no one is panicking. Plenty of economists think all this is heading for some sort of global collapse, but the truth is that this too is simply a reaction to their not understanding anything.

There are no precedents for the economic situation we are in, and basically no-one has a clue how it will end.

One of the strongest arguments against Brexit was that another unexpected shock was the last thing the global economy needed. I think a lot of the top politicians understand this all too well - hence all the 'project fear' stuff - but since they are supposed to be in charge, they could hardly tell the whole story since it would mean admitting we are all in a big mess and no-one knows how to escape!
    Well said. I voted Leave while clutching my lucky rabbit's foot and clenching a four leaf clover between my teeth. Many, if not most Brexiteers voted in ignorance of the risks. I don't have that excuse.
    My view is that the opportunity to Brexit may not have arisen at a different time, so the chance is worth taking.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

And thirdly what will the reaction of the Corbyn supporters, who would take a Smith win in the crurrent circumstances as another stitch up, be? At best they might leave, reducing Labour's ground army, but surely in many places, and within the party structures, the civil war would continue, or be strengthened?

I think the councillor is basically correct. The vote is not about choosing someone to win the next GE. Instead, it's a vote about what Labour is: a party that primarily exists to win power through Parliament or a mass member protest group. If Smith wins, it's the former; if Corbyn wins it's the latter. Should Labour commit to Parliament, then everything else can be sorted out over time. If Labour rejects Parliament it says goodbye to ever being in power again.

What Labour MPs and many members fear most is not GE defeat in 2020, but permanent irrelevance. They believe that making Parliament a secondary consideration will do that. They are right. But they will lose.

I see the philosophical point - but wonder whether "lose with Smith in 2020 and Creasy or whoever takes over for 2025 plus a civil war meanwhile" really is better than "knuckle down and lose with Corbyn, then regroup under Creasy" in practice?

Clearly, now, things have gone so far that it's shit or bust. But this was the MPs choice.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

Morning all.

Morning for some :D
    Where in California are you?
    North Oakland (or as I like to say, South Berkeley) :D
    Do you live there, or are you just visiting?
    (I'm in San Fran twice a year usually.)
    I live here, at least for another year, then my fixed term is up and I have to find another sucker to hire me ;)
    Will you be allowed back in the UK post Brexit?
    We don't want these expats coming back and taking our jobs, cluttering up our GP waiting rooms and denying our kids a place at school!
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 19,060
    For Mr Eagles, joining the dots.

Guido did some work on that address in Shad Thames.

He says it is the home of one Jon Lansmann.
    http://order-order.com/2015/11/02/peoples-momentum-promotes-our-values-with-million-pound-flat/

Bought when Mr Lansmann moved from his previous address:
    http://order-order.com/2016/03/21/through-the-keyhole-lansmans-1-5-million-pad/

A £4 enquiry to the Land Registry for the Deeds may not go amiss.

Some of the millions may have come from activities involving developing former community hostels etc into flats, through tax efficient corporate structures!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/Jeremy_Corbyn/12060177/The-cheerleader-for-Corbyn-who-supports-sons-schemes-to-sell-off-homeless-hostels.html

Property activities would be all of a muchness with eg Michael Meacher.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

MTimT said:

IanB2 said:

My guess is that they are thinking/hoping:

- that when Smith gets in he will "do a Kinnock", and tack dramatically to the centre
    - that under Smith the MPs take over the party structures one way or another and expel or marginalise the left-wingers, just as Kinnock did
    - once the dirty work is done Smith will probably lose anyway, and there'll be another election when the ones with real ambition can emerge

My challenges would be:

- Smith's history, such as it is, suggests he is fairly left wing
    - being Welsh doesn't mean he was born with the same internal management skills as Kinnock
    - 'phoning 999 (at the age of 30!) to get an interview with a top policeman doesn't hint at great common sense or ability to foresee the consequences of his actions!
    - the damage already done to the party's image is real and will be difficult to recover
    - this time given their numbers the left-wingers won't be so easy to get rid of

The 'doing our best for Corbyn and losing' approach - now no longer available - did at least offer the prospect of a lesson from the electorate to hold against the left wingers for another generation.
    I am wrong on one point - I see Guido has dug up enough on Smith to suggest he is a former Blairite, and the left-wing stuff is to just maximise his current chances.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,616
    rcs1000 said:
    Reminds me of James Elroy. Excellent piece.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,061
    RobD said:

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

MTimT said:

RobD said:

Yeah.

I hope @Scrapheap_as_was is noting all of this down!
    Hello.

What have I missed?
This discussion has been closed.