Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The betting on when will Article 50 be triggered, if ever?

Comments

• Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185

@HaroldO

"... So Scotland would charge corp tax on earnings rather than profit ..."

It wouldn't be called Corporation Tax, of course, but that is actually a very good idea. It is simple to collect, hard to evade and chops the power of the multi-nationals (as well as their costs). The rate needs to be set at the right level to make it fair for both parties, but overall I think it a sound scheme. It is also not unheard of, until 1964 it was how companies were taxed in the UK.

Oh yes, if it was unilateral then it would work but if only Scotland enacted it then a whole new industry would just spring up in avoiding it.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

if anyone is feeling a bit blue, I had my first sex since Brexit today, with my new experimental physicist GF, and it really helped. I recommend.

Sexit for Brexit?

I'll riskit for a Swisskit.

I'm also drunk.

Er - is the physics experimental, or the sex?
    BOTH
    Always wondered what it would be like in a threesome with a van der Graaf generator....
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

Mortimer said:

Why on earth would Leadsom say something so silly? Was it to distract from today's pretty dire headlines for her?

Because she's overrated and not very good.

Just look at her record at Barclays and the loan she gave Barings.

No wonder Kippers, Arron Banks, and Leave.eu are backing her
    Hindsight is wonderful. This piece on Conservative Home is quite interesting:

http://tinyurl.com/h8ocb29
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    Jobabob said:

tyson said:

Jobabob said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

Thank goodness we are not playing France.

No - just leave to our heroes on Wednesday
    You are entitled to your positivity (comrade- he said timidly). The Belgium match ranks as one of the 3 best home country matches I have ever seen. 1996- England against Holland. 1978 Scotland vs Holland.

Your anthem touches the hairs on the back of my neck
    Thanks Tyson. My late Father in Law from the Scotland always said it was the most stirring anthem. You should listen to my young grand children singing it in Welsh - it brings tears to the eyes. And yes I am sure you didn't really mean to address us as 'comrade'
    The best national anthem in the world? It's a straight fight between France and Wales.

Could well be the final too.
    I think you are right on that one (both tingle the hairs on the back of my neck), though the Italian anthem is lyrical, joyous and fun. And the Star Spangled Banner deserves a mention.

Sadly, the Northern Irish Anthem is utterly dire.
    Is it The Londonderry Air (Oh Danny Boy)?
    I believe the NI anthem is sung to the tune of the American patriotic song My Country 'Tis Of Thee.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    tyson said:

Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

You are entitled to your positivity (comrade- he said timidly). The Belgium match ranks as one of the 3 best home country matches I have ever seen. 1996- England against Holland. 1978 Scotland vs Holland.

Thanks Tyson. My late Father in Law from the Scotland always said it was the most stirring anthem. You should listen to my young grand children singing it in Welsh - it brings tears to the eyes. And yes I am sure you didn't really mean to address us as 'comrade'
    The best national anthem in the world? It's a straight fight between France and Wales.

Agree with France 2nd like next Wednesday
    You think Germany will beat them?
    Germany will beat France. They were awesome last night....better than the 7-1 against Brazil.

Last nights match Germany vs Italy was the match the final needed. Sadly, the rest of the competition will be a German walkover.
    Agreed, Germany now dominates European football with France runner-up, much like the EU really!
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    Rosberg to blame but he disagrees with stewards enquiry. Rosberg given 2 penalty points and 10 second time penalty but as he was 14 seconds ahead of the driver behind he keeps 4th place.

The stewards' verdict in full:

Reprimand for "The driver continued on the track with a damaged car spreading debris and with the front wing detached" but recognition of extenuating circumstances, that he slowed down and tried to mitigate risk to other drivers and cars.

10s penalty for causing a collision with car 44 in Turn 2. "Having taken note of the extensive evidence given by both drivers and the video and telemetry data, it was apparent that Car 44 (HAM) was in front of Car 6 (ROS) - i.e. more than fully alongside - and that the driver of Car 44 could have clearly made the turn (T2) on the track, if not for the resultant collision. Car 6 did not allow Car 44 "racing room" and hence the driver of Car 6 was responsible for the collision

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/10332678/nico-rosberg-keeps-fourth-despite-penalty-for-lewis-hamilton-crash
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,315
    SeanT said:

Jobabob said:

tyson said:

Jobabob said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

I think you are right on that one (both tingle the hairs on the back of my neck), though the Italian anthem is lyrical, joyous and fun. And the Star Spangled Banner deserves a mention.

We've had this debate before. The Welsh clearly win, worldwide, on the best anthem and flag combination (tho the Union Jack was deemed to be the better flag, and the European Union- Ode to Joy - has the better anthem)

But as a combo, the Welsh win.
    We agree on that and I have had neither sex or alcohol
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,289
    Gove has shortened in last hour on Betfair - in from about 20 to 13.

Are Brexit MPs thinking Leadsom will have no chance v May in members ballot and thus thinking they may vote Gove, despite events of the last week.

Whatever drawbacks he has, Gove is well known, experienced and has the credibility to be a PM. He might well still lose to May with the members but he might stand a better chance than Leadsom.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

I think England just wore out Iceland, so that it was easy for France...

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Legal steps have been taken to ensure the UK Government will not trigger the procedure for withdrawal from the EU without an Act of Parliament.

http://www.mishcon.com/news/firm_news/article_50_process_on_brexit_faces_legal_challenge_to_ensure_parliamentary_involvement_07_2016
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    @seant

Thanks for the link for Waltzing Matilda ...I love that song...it has such a depth of melancholy, humanity and soul....

I think Tom Waits version is one of the most beautiful versions, suited to him, and would be a contender for my desert Island

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLu2ybp6nj0
  • Options

I think England just wore out Iceland, so that it was easy for France...

I think you are right......we softened em up.

As TSE said, Kindly Uncle Roy, said we would do the French.

And....the comeback is on.....
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

Agree with France 2nd like next Wednesday
    You think Germany will beat them?
    They need to improve on their penalties to stand a chance
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,785

The triggering of article 50 will, at the very least, be a cabinet decision and in view of the differing opinions, I cannot see Andrea Leadsom, in the unlikely event of her becoming PM, being able to trigger it on election to the post. I cannot see it happening before January 2017 and probably later.

It will be interesting to see if the HOC demand a say and how they formulate that.

This is one of the reasons I think a Brexiteer as PM could well have a negative impact on the process and that Theresa May would have much more of a chance of carrying the Country with her.

As has been said before 'this is no time for a novice'

The Cabinet does not have the constitutional authority which Article 50 requires.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Legal steps have been taken to ensure the UK Government will not trigger the procedure for withdrawal from the EU without an Act of Parliament.

http://www.mishcon.com/news/firm_news/article_50_process_on_brexit_faces_legal_challenge_to_ensure_parliamentary_involvement_07_2016

lawyers4democracy
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,308
    Just when you think that the football cannot get any more embarrassing for England France show what Iceland are really like. Not very good. Better than England but not good.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    Anybody else checking the Tele website and waiting for Boris's latest article to appear? :smiley:
  • Options
    LowlanderLowlander Posts: 941
    HaroldO said:

Lowlander said:

HaroldO said:

Lowlander said:

HaroldO said:

So you are saying that HQ affects only affect Scotland negatively? Because that would be massively simplistic.
    Also are you saying that the HQ would then move? Because if Scotland was independent then Diageo would still be in London and have their corporation tax charged in the rUK.
    Also, what do you mean by tax differentials? Income tax, corp tax (which I assumed above) or other taxes?

Don't get me wrong, I in know way am saying GERs is written in stone but it is the closest we have to an accurate picture.

In the UK, London has a disproportionate share of head offices and it effects every region (not just Scotland). Diageo is merely a very obvious example. Yes there are counter-examples such as SSE but I think it is hard to argue that overall, the tax differential is not in London's favour. As I said previously, I don't expect big effects, but some effect and negatively to Scotland.

Even if Diageo retained their HQ in London, a tax border between England and Scotland would require them to declare earnings in Scotland for which they would pay Corp Tax.

You are right that GERS is the best measure we have. But it is an incredibly poor model even for measuring the current fiscal framework. It is an exceptionally poor model for predicting the fiscal position of an Independent Scotland.
    But that would be true in the future, the HQ's wouldn't move they would stay put.

Eh? So Scotland would charge corp tax on earnings rather than profit now? Erm, good luck with getting any international firms to produce in Scotland after that.

I think it is the model of best fit for now, but not a great predictor. But even if it is a certain % out it clearly shows an iScotland would be in a lot of trouble in the short to medium term.
    No, it doesn;t show that Scotland would be in trouble if she were independent.

It still doesn't even touch the spending adjustments which are not only much larger but much easier to identify. £10bn on day one is pretty easy to expect, depending on how well Scotland uses its negotiating position (which is a lot stronger than you probably expect).
    It really does, unless the figures are out by £5bn to Scotlands advantage.

Such as? Scotland will have no currency and no real reserves to create one, a massive customer in the rUK which it depends on exporting to, two rather large banks it cannot underwrite and a large budget deficit....strong eh?
    The Costs could be out by more than £10bn.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,946
    Well, any flirting notions I had of voting for Leadsom are gone.

Gove if Gove vs May, May if May vs anyone else...
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    HaroldO said:

@HaroldO

It wouldn't be called Corporation Tax, of course, but that is actually a very good idea. It is simple to collect, hard to evade and chops the power of the multi-nationals (as well as their costs). The rate needs to be set at the right level to make it fair for both parties, but overall I think it a sound scheme. It is also not unheard of, until 1964 it was how companies were taxed in the UK.

Oh yes, if it was unilateral then it would work but if only Scotland enacted it then a whole new industry would just spring up in avoiding it.
    Think of it as a sales tax, Mr. O, you make a sale then there is an invoice the government takes n% of the amount on that invoice. Very hard to evade once you get above the cowboy builder level.

I'd also introduce draconian penalties on the directors of any company that were caught evading tax. Disqualification for life, fines levied on their personal wealth (not that of the company), long mandatory prison sentences - that sort of thing.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Mortimer said:

Have had a politics free day. What's Mrs Leadsom done?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,325
    I didn't think Iceland could play like they have done in all their matches. But they have one goal at least. But deficit still 4 goals down.
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185
    Lowlander said:

HaroldO said:

Lowlander said:

HaroldO said:

Lowlander said:

HaroldO said:

So you are saying that HQ affects only affect Scotland negatively? Because that would be massively simplistic.
    Also are you saying that the HQ would then move? Because if Scotland was independent then Diageo would still be in London and have their corporation tax charged in the rUK.
    Also, what do you mean by tax differentials? Income tax, corp tax (which I assumed above) or other taxes?

Don't get me wrong, I in know way am saying GERs is written in stone but it is the closest we have to an accurate picture.

In the UK, London has a disproportionate share of head offices and it effects every region (not just Scotland). Diageo is merely a very obvious example. Yes there are counter-examples such as SSE but I think it is hard to argue that overall, the tax differential is not in London's favour. As I said previously, I don't expect big effects, but some effect and negatively to Scotland.

Even if Diageo retained their HQ in London, a tax border between England and Scotland would require them to declare earnings in Scotland for which they would pay Corp Tax.

You are right that GERS is the best measure we have. But it is an incredibly poor model even for measuring the current fiscal framework. It is an exceptionally poor model for predicting the fiscal position of an Independent Scotland.
    But that would be true in the future, the HQ's wouldn't move they would stay put.

Eh? So Scotland would charge corp tax on earnings rather than profit now? Erm, good luck with getting any international firms to produce in Scotland after that.

I think it is the model of best fit for now, but not a great predictor. But even if it is a certain % out it clearly shows an iScotland would be in a lot of trouble in the short to medium term.
    No, it doesn;t show that Scotland would be in trouble if she were independent.

It still doesn't even touch the spending adjustments which are not only much larger but much easier to identify. £10bn on day one is pretty easy to expect, depending on how well Scotland uses its negotiating position (which is a lot stronger than you probably expect).
    It really does, unless the figures are out by £5bn to Scotlands advantage.

Such as? Scotland will have no currency and no real reserves to create one, a massive customer in the rUK which it depends on exporting to, two rather large banks it cannot underwrite and a large budget deficit....strong eh?
    But they might also not be, as well as the revenue might be lower etc etc.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Mortimer said:

Me too - been at Wimbles - but just found out that she has said she would trigger Art 50 on becoming PM. Foolish suggestion.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Gove if Gove vs May, May if May vs anyone else...

She was poor on Marr this morning prevaricating about her tax return and refusing to rule out Farage's involvement. Her closeness to Arron Banks and leave.eu will be the end for her credibility
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Mortimer said:

I think politics free is the way to go. Summer is here in Italy. The sun is out, everyone is going to the seaside, SeanT is getting his end away again, we can all relax and wait for winter.
  • Options

She was poor on Marr this morning prevaricating about her tax return and refusing to rule out Farage's involvement. Her closeness to Arron Banks and leave.eu will be the end for her credibility

http://reaction.life/is-andrea-leadsom-up-to-it/
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,864
    Evening all :)

I see Leadsom's 24 hours of fame are over and the knives are out for her from the pro-May camp which is basically the pro-Cameron anti-anyone connected with LEAVE camp.

Far from Crabb being Continuity Cameron, it now seems the dissident pro-EU Cameroons are lining up behind May in an attempt to slow or even stop the process of withdrawal.

So much for the Referendum lancing the Tory boil and settling the argument - in that regard, all the time and effort has been for naught. Cameron has destroyed his own political career for nothing at all.

We now have at least three factions inside the Conservative Party - the pro-EU dissidents, the EEA/EFTA grouping which wants to keep the Single Market and FoM and those determined to end FoM at all costs. The second faction is probably in the ascendancy but May will have to play a careful game balancing these forces just as every Conservative leader has since Thatcher and it's not ended that well for any of them.

Still, as Bruce Forsyth would have said in 1331:

"Nicaea to besiege you, to besiege you, Nicaea".

That's one from the Patriachate of Constantinople's joke book.
  • Options
    tyson said:

GIN1138 said:

Mortimer said:

I think politics free is the way to go. Summer is here in Italy. The sun is out, everyone is going to the seaside, SeanT is getting his end away again, we can all relax and wait for winter.
    Will be in Cortona for two weeks from 23rd July with my family and grand children. And the best bit is we paid for the holiday at 1.29 euros and bought all our euros at 1.26, two days before the referendum
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited July 2016
    Camden ward breakdowns for the referendum:

http://www.camden.gov.uk/ccm/cms-service/stream/asset/?asset_id=3470720&

Results for Camden Town with Primrose Hill:

Remain: 4,315 (75.8%)
    Leave: 1,378 (24.2%)
  • Options
    sarissa said:

The triggering of article 50 will, at the very least, be a cabinet decision and in view of the differing opinions, I cannot see Andrea Leadsom, in the unlikely event of her becoming PM, being able to trigger it on election to the post. I cannot see it happening before January 2017 and probably later.

It will be interesting to see if the HOC demand a say and how they formulate that.

This is one of the reasons I think a Brexiteer as PM could well have a negative impact on the process and that Theresa May would have much more of a chance of carrying the Country with her.

The Cabinet does not have the constitutional authority which Article 50 requires.
    Please explain the bit in the UK constitution that limits HMG from signing new or complying with existing international treaties. I cannot think of anything that has such an effect.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Mortimer said:

GIN1138 said:

Mortimer said:

Me too - been at Wimbles - but just found out that she has said she would trigger Art 50 on becoming PM. Foolish suggestion.
    Oh. Well, it's got to be done at some point... Unless it never gets done, of course. ;)

tyson said:

GIN1138 said:

Mortimer said:

Have you made it up with your Brexiting Brother? ;)
  • Options
    And they could well be heading back to a Lefty Govt!! What more could you ask.

Sorry, couldn't help but get in a lefty jibe on a post of mutual bonhomie. It is in my DNA.
    SeanT said:

tyson said:

@seant

Thanks for the link for Waltzing Matilda ...I love that song...it has such a depth of melancholy, humanity and soul....

I think Tom Waits version is one of the most beautiful versions, suited to him, and would be a contender for my desert Island

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLu2ybp6nj0

Ah yes, I love that Tom Waits cover. Yes there is a hidden sadness in Waltzing Matilda which makes it doubly powerful, alongside its rousing singability in the surging chorus. Perfect for an anthem.

Jerusalem has the same poignancy but with better words (tho it is much harder to sing). A good version of Jerusalem nearly always makes my eyes moisten, whereas God Save the Queen nearly always doesn't.

Men of Harlech in Zulu? OMG

Back to Matilda, if I HAD to choose a different nationality (I am proudly Cornish, British and english) then it wouldn't be European, and it certainly wouldn't be American. I'd be Australian. They have the bright future, now: in the best part of the world, economically, but with the English language, English law, English freedoms, and a magnificent landscape. And excellent oysters.

My younger daughter, who lives north of Sydney, is a lucky girl.

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    tyson said:

GIN1138 said:

Mortimer said:

Picking up slightly here. First day in ages without rain.

And we in the NHS have an extra £350 million per week headed our way under PM Gove.
  • Options

HaroldO said:

@HaroldO

Think of it as a sales tax, Mr. O, you make a sale then there is an invoice the government takes n% of the amount on that invoice. Very hard to evade once you get above the cowboy builder level.

I'd also introduce draconian penalties on the directors of any company that were caught evading tax. Disqualification for life, fines levied on their personal wealth (not that of the company), long mandatory prison sentences - that sort of thing.
    A 2% revenue tax (without any allowances or rebates) replacing a 20% corp tax would be a very useful and positive step in terms of the whole economy. It would slash the accounting costs of business, it would eliminate tax avoidance and improve government finances overall.

Of course, it would also put a lot of accountants on the dole which, especially the more "skillful" ones. Which is why it probably won't happen.
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293

It's a tricky one, Big_G. Do the Conservatives go for a novice or someone who has proved to be useless at actually getting things done? Do they go for someone whose leadership skills are untested or someone whose leadership skills are known to be awful?

I don't have a vote, few people on here do, for all we bump our gums. The 150,000 or so remaining Conservative party members carry a grave responsibility. I hope they choose wisely.
    I have a vote and it will be for Theresa, as I expect the majority of members will
    i have a vote, and undecided...,
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,465
    Mortimer said:

GIN1138 said:

Mortimer said:

There was I thinking uncertainty was a bad thing.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Men of Harlech in Zulu? OMG

I really liked this VLog about Zulu and its use of Men off Harlech. Quite a good series and worth watching a few of the other ones the guy does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VygWpmwBO8M
  • Options

tyson said:

GIN1138 said:

Mortimer said:

And we in the NHS have an extra £350 million per week headed our way under PM Gove.
    Fox...my heart is uplifted. We've got our Country back Comrade. We're in control. That 350m to the NHS every week, all those trade deals, we are going to smash it. I think given a few weeks or so, we can even begin to take back some of colonies. A British task force to reclaim the US, what do you think?
  • Options
    Lowlander said:

HaroldO said:

@HaroldO

A 2% revenue tax (without any allowances or rebates) replacing a 20% corp tax would be a very useful and positive step in terms of the whole economy. It would slash the accounting costs of business, it would eliminate tax avoidance and improve government finances overall.

Of course, it would also put a lot of accountants on the dole which, especially the more "skillful" ones. Which is why it probably won't happen.

A revenue tax would also hurt: new businesses, investing business, hiring businesses, and businesses in difficulties.

All of which would harm the economy, which is the real reason it won't happen.

• Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,012
    SeanT said:

tyson said:

Jobabob said:

tyson said:

Jobabob said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

No..I wish it was Oh Danny Boy. It is something appallingly awful which is almost unmentionable.

Oh Danny Boy is a magnificent song. Would make a great anthem. As would Molly Malone.

Instead Ireland and Ulster have awful dirges.

Same goes for Australia. Waltzing Matilda is glorious when sung en masse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UORKwBTKWqw

Instead they have the turgid Advance Australia Fair.

There seems to be an idea that only *serious* tunes can be anthems. Pfff.

There's also this song https://youtu.be/cZqN1glz4JY (other versions exist, in case you don't like Shane McGowan's artful inability to sing).
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    HaroldO said:

Lowlander said:

ckquote>

But they might also not be, as well as the revenue might be lower etc etc.
    Yes they might not. But that's not Kevin Hague's starting point on chokkablog. His position is that they are the same and this is utterly ridiculous as a starting point.

GERS includes £5.5bn for UK debt interest payments. The thing is even the UK Government doesnt pay that on a pro-rata basis because half the debt is owned by the Bank of England which does not charge the Treasury interest (but the Treasury charges Scotland interest on the full amount.

Even if Scotland is incredibly unsuccessful on negociation, the actual Independent Scotland cost of UK debt interest is less than £3bn but GERS shows £5.5bn.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Mortimer said:

GIN1138 said:

Mortimer said:

Oh. Well, it's got to be done at some point... Unless it never gets done, of course. ;)

tyson said:

GIN1138 said:

Mortimer said:

I'm someone that can hold a grudge for all of about 23 seconds, Brexit included.

• Options

Mortimer said:

GIN1138 said:

Mortimer said:

There was I thinking uncertainty was a bad thing.
    Uncertainty isn't positive, but throwing away one of our few negotiating strengths is foolish.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    tyson said:

tyson said:

GIN1138 said:

Mortimer said:

Fox...my heart is uplifted. We've got our Country back Comrade. We're in control. That 350m to the NHS every week, all those trade deals, we are going to smash it. I think given a few weeks or so, we can even begin to take back some of colonies. A British task force to reclaim the US, what do you think?
    A man after my own heart!

Time to re-form The League of Empire Loyalists?
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312
    tlg86 said:

Mortimer said:

Why on earth would Leadsom say something so silly? Was it to distract from today's pretty dire headlines for her?

Because she's overrated and not very good.

Just look at her record at Barclays and the loan she gave Barings.

No wonder Kippers, Arron Banks, and Leave.eu are backing her
    Hindsight is wonderful. This piece on Conservative Home is quite interesting:

http://tinyurl.com/h8ocb29
    Very insightful and illuminating. I think she could be an excellent PM - she explained her (supposed) change of heart about the EU very well this morning. However it seem likely that she'll finish 2nd with MPs and then (probably by a long way) 2nd again with membership.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

I didn't think Iceland could play like they have done in all their matches. But they have one goal at least. But deficit still 4 goals down.

Clearly England softened Iceland up for France. Glad to see that L'Entente Cordiale is still working even after Brexit.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    edited July 2016
    tyson said:

tyson said:

GIN1138 said:

Mortimer said:

More likely a reverse colonisation, Trump backed Brexit and if the UK exited EFTA too a President Trump would try to draw the UK into his orbit instead
  • Options
    @tnewtondunn: Team Boris's revenge: Gove would be a national security risk as PM because he can’t keep secrets, says @BWallaceMP; https://t.co/mVdn7pl8TL
  • Options

twitter.com/suttonnick/status/749702315309993986

Osborne puts corporation tax cut at heart of Brexit recovery plan

Never let a crisis go to waste.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,632
    Any excuse to look after the fat cats.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798
    edited July 2016
    Many Leavers are worried about an 'establishment' stitch up, and how that applies to article 50 negotiations. Leadsome may well surprise and win this despite her weaknesses, as any sign of caution (or even simple lack of recklessness) from May will be presented as equivocation at best and duplicity at worst. The certainty of declaring as soon as the contest is done and dusted, and in the hands of a Leaver, may see her through.

Even if May wins the pressure will be enormous and she'll have explained in the next month her strategy - can she really delay declaring until 2018? I'm doubtful. I'd put early 2017 as the most likely and the place therefore to find value.
  • Options

But Gideon said tax was gonna rise!
  • Options
    tyson said:

GIN1138 said:

Mortimer said:

Politics free is good for a week or two, but not for much longer I find.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,756
    fking waste of time.

we need more demand not help for tax dodgers
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    kle4 said:

Many Leavers are worried about an 'establishment' stitch up, and how that applies to article 50 negotiations. Leadsome may well surprise and win this despite her weaknesses, as any sign of caution (or even simple lack of recklessness) from May will be presented as equivocation at best and duplicity at worst. The certainty of declaring as soon as the contest is done and dusted, and in the hands of a Leaver, may see her through.

Even if May wins the pressure will be enormous and she'll have explained in the next month her strategy - can she really delay declaring until 2018? I'm doubtful. I'd put early 2017 as the most likely and the place therefore to find value.

In her first speech she said she would invoke it in 2017. I don't think we'll be allowed that length of time. Q4 this year seems most likely to me.

Also Juppe on Brexit:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/cc4028fa-411f-11e6-b22f-79eb4891c97d.html#axzz4DMqADFKv
  • Options
    Iceland score for a second time against France.
  • Options

fking waste of time.

we need more demand not help for tax dodgers
    Isn't UK corp tax in no-mans land anyway?

It's much lower than all the other large economies but much higher than the tax competitive smaller economies (and the tax havens). It seems like a completely pointless move from a man whose entire political reputation lies in tatters and whose economic nous is being exposed for worthless rhetoric.
  • Options
    @PeterMannionMP: Batshit crazy Dominic Cummings, bringing new meaning to the phrase 'Quiet Bat People'... #TTOI #EUref
    https://t.co/95fJ6rV7HP
  • Options
    Lowlander said:

HaroldO said:

@HaroldO

You'll be alright, Mr. Lowlander, there aren't that many accountants in parliament. If it had been lawyers whose livelihood is threatened then the idea would be dead in the water.

Among the many reasons why the idea of returning to an income tax for companies attracts me is that it stops the multinationals getting a free ride. They want to do business here then they can contribute to all the infrastructure spending that makes their business possible. The likes of Starbucks and Amazon to name but two using whizzy accounting tricks to offshore their profits really gets my goat.

Of course there will be some that say unless these big companies are given special status they will not invest here. To which my reply would be, "So what?". If, say, Starbucks pulled out of the UK other companies would spring up to fill the empty space in the market. Furthermore, for companies like Amazon the UK is a very big marketplace in which they earn lots of money - they are not going to pull out just because they have to pay their fair share of taxes.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Well the lawyers are having fun at least. It seems right that such a declaration would need to come from parliament, but I'm someone has a view that legally it's fine from the government. Another reason there won't be a GE, it might mess up the arithmetic for a leave vote if some troublemaker feels as they weren't in parliament at the time of the vote they don't feel bound by it for some reason (I feel the ones currently in parliament dare not hold it up if parliament does have to vote on it)
  • Options
    How relevant are out political parties? Well you can see on the betfair next leader markets- the betting amounts arguably reflects their relevance to the day.

There is over 2mill staked on the Tory contest.
    126k on Labour, a bit piss poor.

And, what do you think about the LD's? 10 mill...no. 100k....no. It is........a sum and proud total of £46.
  • Options
    John_M said:

kle4 said:

In her first speech she said she would invoke it in 2017. I don't think we'll be allowed that length of time. Q4 this year seems most likely to me.

Also Juppe on Brexit:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/cc4028fa-411f-11e6-b22f-79eb4891c97d.html#axzz4DMqADFKv
    I actually meant to say 2017 is most likely, if she is able to delay at all. My previous prediction has been the next 2-3 months.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,481
    Heh, from a fellow Tory minister (and ally of Boris)

Michael Gove has 'an emotional need to gossip, particularly when drink is taken' - why he can't be trusted with Britain's most sensitive secrets

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/03/michael-gove-has-an-emotional-need-to-gossip-particularly-when-d/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

That's a fairly weaselly attempt to get the house to vote down the referendum result, or has my tinfoil hat slipped?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Now in my politics free zone. I don't think being entirely useless should be a bar to holding the highest office. Andrea is a believer after all.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,006

Lowlander said:

HaroldO said:

@HaroldO

A revenue tax would also hurt: new businesses, investing business, hiring businesses, and businesses in difficulties.

Also, it would mean that low-margin businesses (like manufacturing and retail) which employ real people would be particularly screwed.

I would also point out that we already have a revenue based tax: VAT.
  • Options
    John_M said:

That's a fairly weaselly attempt to get the house to vote down the referendum result, or has my tinfoil hat slipped?

It's about the process. not the result.

Of course if Article 50 is delayed forever...
  • Options

You'll be alright, Mr. Lowlander, there aren't that many accountants in parliament. If it had been lawyers whose livelihood is threatened then the idea would be dead in the water.

OK fair point. But it's also one of the few areas of actual productive** use of the English Higher Education sector. You need a degree to be an accountant these days and accountancy courses are one of the few popular subjects that actually lead to jobs rather than years on the dole or minimum wage.

**obviously the idea this is a productive use of Higher Education is rather tenuous but I trust you get what I mean.
  • Options
    MontyHallMontyHall Posts: 226
    kle4 said:

"an 'establishment' stitch up"

A remainer leading both main parties & Tony Blair in charge of Brexit?

Circle the wagons!
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    tyson said:

Now in my politics free zone. I don't think being entirely useless should be a bar to holding the highest office. Andrea is a believer after all.

It would seem to be a plus.

Andrea is the candidate of choice for both UKIP and the BNP.

What could possibly go wrong?
  • Options

Michael Gove has 'an emotional need to gossip, particularly when drink is taken' - why he can't be trusted with Britain's most sensitive secrets

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/03/michael-gove-has-an-emotional-need-to-gossip-particularly-when-d/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Please TSE...I don't particularly like Gove, but that is scraping the barrel. Everyone likes to talk after a few bevvies. We've just had a blow by blow account of seanT's early evening activities.
  • Options

The intelligence services supply intelligence. They generally don't disclose the gory details of how they got it. The only time Cheltenham lifts its skirts is when we've got new ministers that need the shit scared out of them.

Bit of a daft story imo.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,864
    No counting in Australia on Monday I believe.

Currently Labor leads the Coalition 67-65 in seats declared with Others (including Greens and Nick Xenophon) on 5.

13 seats remain to be called and Labor is ahead in 5, the Coalition in 7 and Nick Xenophon in 1 so that would produce a 72-72-6 result.

However, worth pointing out postal votes are still to be counted and these generally favour the Coalition who have traditionally had a stronger postal voting operation than Labor and in the five seats where they lead, Labor's lead is less than 1% so it's entirely possible the Coalition will get over the line or on it.

A Labor majority looks improbable but the Independents are resolutely refusing to play ball with three already saying they won't support either the Coalition or Labor and nor can be bought off with the post of Speaker.

Plenty of fuel left in this fire.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Scott_P said:

tyson said:

It would seem to be a plus.

Andrew is the candidate of choice for both UKIP and the BNP.

What could possibly go wrong?
    Who is this Andrew you talk of ?
  • Options
    tyson said:

GIN1138 said:

Mortimer said:

GIN1138 said:

Mortimer said:

tyson said:

GIN1138 said:

Mortimer said:

I'm someone that can hold a grudge for all of about 23 seconds, Brexit included.

:smiley:
  • Options
    tyson said:

Please TSE...I don't particularly like Gove, but that is scraping the barrel. Everyone likes to talk after a few bevvies. We've just had a blow by blow account of seanT's early evening activities.
    I'm loving it.

I love it when the Tory Party is ruthless.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Boris Johnson's article is up.

On Friday I heard a new dawn chorus outside my house. There was a rustling and twittering, as though of starlings assembling on a branch. Then I heard a collective clearing of the throat, and they started yodelling my name – followed by various expletives. “Oi Boris – c---!” they shouted. Or “Boris – w-----!” I looked out to see some otherwise charming-looking young people, the sort who might fast to raise money for a Third World leprosy project.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/03/tory-candidates-need-a-plan-for-brexit---heres-mine-in-5-points/
  • Options

The Typo candidate
  • Options

Lowlander said:

HaroldO said:

@HaroldO

I don't buy that argument I am afraid. Individuals don't get to offset their tax liability because they are going broke, or starting up a new household, or thousands of other reasons. HMRC demand their cut whatever our personal circumstances might be. Why should corporations be any different? They didn't used to be.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Civil service drafting is terrible. It's the standard complaint of anyone with commercial experience when they come into contact with it. I can't hold that against Leadsom, even if I think she's basically undercooked when it comes to being a credible PM.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited July 2016
    For those of you interested here is Edinburgh's EU Referendum result broken down by Westminster Constituency

East constituency: 44,020 votes - 72% remain (31,821 votes); 28% leave (12,153 votes)
    North & Leith constituency: 57,099 votes - 78% remain (44,618); 22% leave (12,435 votes)
    South constituency: 47,649 votes - 78% remain (37,069 votes); 22% leave (10,549 votes)
    South West constituency: 50,308 votes - 72% remain (36,269 votes); 28% leave (14,008 votes)
    West constituency: 53,405 votes - 71% remain (38,019 votes); 29% leave (15,353 votes)

And here's the Scottish Independence Vote
    Area total Yes No Yes% No%
    East 58,232 27,500 30,632 47% 53%
    North and Leith 72,181 28,813 43,253 40% 60%
    South 58,738 20,340 38,298 35% 65%
    South West 64,249 24,659 39,509 38% 61%
    West 65,625 22,615 42,946 34% 65%
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

The Typo candidate
    lol
  • Options
    stodge said:

No counting in Australia on Monday I believe.

Currently Labor leads the Coalition 67-65 in seats declared with Others (including Greens and Nick Xenophon) on 5.

13 seats remain to be called and Labor is ahead in 5, the Coalition in 7 and Nick Xenophon in 1 so that would produce a 72-72-6 result.

However, worth pointing out postal votes are still to be counted and these generally favour the Coalition who have traditionally had a stronger postal voting operation than Labor and in the five seats where they lead, Labor's lead is less than 1% so it's entirely possible the Coalition will get over the line or on it.

A Labor majority looks improbable but the Independents are resolutely refusing to play ball with three already saying they won't support either the Coalition or Labor and nor can be bought off with the post of Speaker.

Plenty of fuel left in this fire.

The Libs have seriously underperformed predictions on transfers losing 6 predicted wins so far. It is quite possible they might have underperformed on postal votes as well.
  • Options
    To which the obvious question must be, if he thought UK exports could be increased by him getting out on the road why the fuck hasn't he been doing it for the last 12 months?

Either this story is bollocks or Javid has been an even bigger disappointment than I thought.
  • Options
    Peter Hitchens:

"So 17 million people voted for a revolutionary change in the way we are governed, and the result is going to be Theresa May. These ignored multitudes were not, I think, hoping for yet another Blairite robot, a living symbol of everything that is wrong with our political system. But this is what they are going to get.
    I am sure Mrs May is a perfectly nice person and an ideal neighbour. But this is not the point. She is completely unfitted to answer the national demand for change.
    She is a conventional Left-wing liberal. She wanted, for heaven’s sake, to stay in the EU, though she lacked the nerve to campaign actively for this. Given the growing campaign to overturn the referendum by guile and fear, can she be trusted not to fudge us back in?"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-3671939/PETER-HITCHENS-voted-revolution-got-Blair-robot.html
  • Options
    MontyHall said:

kle4 said:

"an 'establishment' stitch up"

A remainer leading both main parties & Tony Blair in charge of Brexit?

Circle the wagons!
    I have heard it said in recent days that Gove is not a Brexiter, he was a Cameron plant solely to destroy Boris, and that only with a true leaver can we stop all immigration and kick out those already here. I am hoping the less strict Leave option wins out, its the version I want, there are plenty angry enough and paranoid enough to be suspicious of anything.
  • Options

On Friday I heard a new dawn chorus outside my house. There was a rustling and twittering, as though of starlings assembling on a branch. Then I heard a collective clearing of the throat, and they started yodelling my name – followed by various expletives. “Oi Boris – c---!” they shouted. Or “Boris – w-----!” I looked out to see some otherwise charming-looking young people, the sort who might fast to raise money for a Third World leprosy project.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/03/tory-candidates-need-a-plan-for-brexit---heres-mine-in-5-points/

Boris back on form. Amazing what a few nights rest can do for a bloke. I never thought he looked frightened after the referendum. I thought he looked absolutely fucking knackered. Hence his completely incoherent column last week.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    John_M said:

Scott_P said:
    Civil service drafting is terrible. It's the standard complaint of anyone with commercial experience when they come into contact with it. I can't hold that against Leadsom, even if I think she's basically undercooked when it comes to being a credible PM.
    It's the compliant of every lawyer vs every other lawyer, though.
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,823
    MTimT said:

Clearly England softened Iceland up for France. Glad to see that L'Entente Cordiale is still working even after Brexit.
    Hoddle said Iceland were suffering from "fatigueness".

• Options

twitter.com/suttonnick/status/749707184313950208

And relating to an earlier discussion, Bernard Matthews being sold to India.
  • Options

To which the obvious question must be, if he thought UK exports could be increased by him getting out on the road why the fuck hasn't he been doing it for the last 12 months?

Either this story is bollocks or Javid has been an even bigger disappointment than I thought.
    I think the second point ;-)
  • Options
    John_M said:

Scott_P said:
    Agreed.

If the drafting is anything like the quotes to journos - I'm not at all surprised.

E.G. 'Monomaniacal' about the EU. Oh, and also didn't like the drafting.

Which is it civvies, EU or Drafting?!?!
  • Options

If Leadsom becomes PM and immediately triggers Article 50 and rules out EFTA, will any of the Leavers on here regret their enthusiasm for Brexit?

Probably.
  • Options

I can't find the £350m for the NHS...
This discussion has been closed.