Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Liverpool, Wavertree : A Historical Tale of Caution

2»

Comments

• Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    tim said:

I don't really care where someon comes from,

Classic ! Ironic awareness deficit disorder :)

• Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    tim said:

@Avery

And housing associations?

Just to complete this discussion, here are the totals for new dwellings completed in the calendar years 1997-2010.
    1997-2010: Completion of new dwellings    

Private Enterprise 2,255,180 86.28%
    Housing Associations 350,750 13.42%
    Local Government 7,870 0.30%
    ---------
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    I would have thought that James Morrison was very nearly as likely to get elected as an MP as Jake Morrison.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,371
    Murray is making hard work of this.
  • Options
    tim said:

TGOHF said:

tim said:

I don't really care where someon comes from,

Classic ! Ironic awareness deficit disorder :)

Well obviously if they then go on to surround themselves with a bunch of incompetents from the same narrow segment of society it becomes an issue.
    Particularly if they are riddled with guilt about that background and polluted by its misogynism.
    Just say "except fops, toffs, poshos and landed gentry " or "capitalist running dogs" - far easier..
  • Options
    DavidL said:

But he is playing like an Englishman.

• Options
    carlcarl Posts: 750
    So a bit like the debt - its rising but not as bad as when those useless muppets in the Labour party were running the show.

Well not really like debt, because prior to the global financial crash Government debt was, of course, lower than Labour inherited.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,412
    edited July 2013
    BRITISH Tennis ace Andy Murray 2-0 sets up now against Russia's Mikhail Youzhny!
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,371
    AveryLP said:

DavidL said:

But he is playing like an Englishman.

Better than that, surely.

• Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    edited July 2013
    BREAKING: tim's desperate appeal for political asylum in the fop-free, housing benefit slashing, planning vanguard, Hersham Kingdom of Blue loveliness is being considered as a matter of urgency. Initial indications are that it is being treated favourably.

...Developing....
  • Options
    carl said:

So a bit like the debt - its rising but not as bad as when those useless muppets in the Labour party were running the show.

Well not really like debt, because prior to the global financial crash Government debt was, of course, lower than Labour inherited.

Prior to Germany equalising and then winning on penalties, England were actually qualifying for the final of Euro 96.

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,002
    Good evening, everyone.

Glad to see Lisicki win. As well as supporting the underdog, I rather like Lisicki.

Shame about Robson but she's a good player and very young.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    tim obviously got his drill..he has been punched ..drilled and countersunk today..
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited July 2013
    Is tim having his "Black knight" moment.. "tis but a flesh wound"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKhEw7nD9C4
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    carl said:

@Charles

Reality is "misleading?"

Because the fact of the matter is that total Government spending was 39% of GDP in 07, 40% in 08.

Do you want to go deeper down the rabbit hole, and think through implications of your argument that the "real" level of GDP was lower than stated during that time, or shift your argument to something based more on, you know, reality and stuff?

GDP was inflated by a bubble.

If you make permanent spending decisions based on an inflated figure you end up with a structural deficit.

Government was a much more important part of the long-term economy than people realised at the time. I hadn't realised that was such a controversial point!
  • Options
    Charles said:

carl said:

@Charles

Reality is "misleading?"

Because the fact of the matter is that total Government spending was 39% of GDP in 07, 40% in 08.

Do you want to go deeper down the rabbit hole, and think through implications of your argument that the "real" level of GDP was lower than stated during that time, or shift your argument to something based more on, you know, reality and stuff?

If you make permanent spending decisions based on an inflated figure you end up with a structural deficit.

Government was a much more important part of the long-term economy than people realised at the time. I hadn't realised that was such a controversial point!
    You didn't raise a controversial point, you raised a ridiculous point, but good to see you've rowed back on it.

See, you can argue that pre-crash spending should have been even lower than 40% of GDP (though I disagree, 40% is a perfectly sensible level). Or that Cameron and Osborne spending more than Darling and Brown is an inevitable consequence of their inheritance.

But you can't argue that total spending was really higher than 40%, because GDP was really lower than stated. Because it, erm, wasn't.

Well, you can, it's a free country, you can argue anything you like. Grass is pink, Puff The Magic Dragon lives in Chester Zoo, pre-crash spending was really 50% of GDP...
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,131
    edited July 2013
    In Australia a Morgan poll gives Labor the lead for the first time since Rudd's return - The Morgan multi-mode poll is the first pollster to actually have Labor in front, their primary vote at 39.5% (up 11% on last week) to 40.5% for the Coalition (down 10%) and 8.5% for the Greens (up half a point). This gives Labor a respondent-allocated preferences lead of 51.5-48.5, which emerges as 51-49 when using preference flows from the previous election.

Essential Research meanwhile gives the Coalition a narrow lead - the primary votes at 38% for Labor (up four), 46% for the Coalition (down one) and 9% for the Greens (up one), panning out to 52-48 to the Coalition on two-party preferred. The normal rolling average, which in the circumstances tells us very little, moves from 55-45 to 53-47.
  • Options
    BobajobBobajob Posts: 1,536

Neil said:

TGOHF said:

She has already suffered embarrassment after it was divulged she did not know who Bill Shankly was

We dont like it when politicians dont know about football and we dont like it when they pretend they like football. Are we moving to a stage where only football fans can run for office?
    We don't like politicians who are parachuted in and can't be arsed to do their homework....
    She probably doesn't regard the history of Liverpool FC as her "homework", having, like many women, no interest in football.

In any event, she came up with the best ever response to that 'sting' by the local paper. She said: "You can't ask a girl a football question." That's the sort of response my wife would give and it lends Berger an everywoman quality.

I like her. She's also very pretty, which I know I am not supposed to mention but is nevertheless part of her appeal.
  • Options
    Murray serving for the match at 5-1 in the 3rd!
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    Bobajob said:

Neil said:

TGOHF said:

She has already suffered embarrassment after it was divulged she did not know who Bill Shankly was

We dont like it when politicians dont know about football and we dont like it when they pretend they like football. Are we moving to a stage where only football fans can run for office?
    We don't like politicians who are parachuted in and can't be arsed to do their homework....
    She probably doesn't regard the history of Liverpool FC as her "homework", having, like many women, no interest in football.

In any event, she came up with the best ever response to that 'sting' by the local paper. She said: "You can't ask a girl a football question." That's the sort of response my wife would give and it lends Berger an everywoman quality.

I like her. She's also very pretty, which I know I am not supposed to mention but is nevertheless part of her appeal.
    She is pretty and not knowing about football is fine, but going out with Sion Simon is absolutely unforgivable.

What was she thinking?!?!!?

• Options
    BRITISH Tennis ace Andy Murray wins in straight sets against Youzhny of Russia!
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    carl said:

Charles said:

carl said:

@Charles

Reality is "misleading?"

You didn't raise a controversial point, you raised a ridiculous point, but good to see you've rowed back on it.

See, you can argue that pre-crash spending should have been even lower than 40% of GDP (though I disagree, 40% is a perfectly sensible level). Or that Cameron and Osborne spending more than Darling and Brown is an inevitable consequence of their inheritance.

But you can't argue that total spending was really higher than 40%, because GDP was really lower than stated. Because it, erm, wasn't.

Well, you can, it's a free country, you can argue anything you like. Grass is pink, Puff The Magic Dragon lives in Chester Zoo, pre-crash spending was really 50% of GDP...
    What I am arguing is that to say that Brown government was a less significant part of the sustainable economy than Cameron's on the basis of comparing the 2007 spend as a % of GDP (i.e. 40%) to forecasts under this government (>40%) is wrong. This is because, with hindsight, the 2007 figures were giving a misleading reading of the significance of the government.

No rowing back involved - or needed. (I tend to think around 35-36% is about right in terms of government spending but that's a detail. The bigger issue the country has is that in large parts of the country it is far higher than this when you combine public sector employment and welfare: imv, it's reached the point where it is having a deleterious effect on the regional economy)
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    In the original selection, Berger was heavily supported by the retiring MP (Jane Kennedy) who even hosted her during the selection campaign.
    It was a quite late but not too late selection. Late 2014 IIRC. So the shortlist was still in hands of CLP. They didn't receive many applications anyway, so it wasn't an hard choice to make. In the end 3 women advanced to final stage; Berger, Wendy Simon (a local Cllr) and a left wing woman from Surrey (or Hampshire...). It was thought to be a close fight between Berger and Simon. The raising star from London vs the worthy local councillor. In the end Berger won nearly 2:1.

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    Neil said:

I'd ask you to explain how a knowledge of Liverpool FC's past managers might help make her a better legislator but I'm afraid you might try to answer.
    Even I've heard of Bill Shankly....I think it is illustrative of the attitude of the Labour aristocracy - parachuted into safe seats with which they have no connection, evidently little interest and whose qualification for the job was, as another Liverpool Labour MP observed was a 'student politician'...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/crash-landing-for-labour-candidate-parachuted-into-liverpool-1951962.html
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    It is almost good value to keep him out of politics.
    SeanT said:

James Purnell of the BBC is right now on the BBC telling us how the BBC made a mistake paying millions to retiring BBC managers. James Purnell's BBC salary: £295,000 a year

• Options
    Bobajob said:

Neil said:

TGOHF said:

"You can't ask a girl a football question."
    I bet Harriet was thrilled.....

• Options
    Croydon Central shortlist:

Alison Butler, Sarah Jones, Catriona Ogilvy, Louisa Woodley.

2 Croydon Cllrs, a local activist and an activist from Streatham

Battarsea longlist:

Sheila Boswell (Wandsworth Cllr)
    Samantha Heath (former London Assembly member and Wandsworth Cllr)
    Will Martindale (works at Oxfam)
    Chris Summers (Ealing Cllr)
    Sundar Thavapalasundaram

In this case, they published all nominations:

Balham & Northcote – Samantha Heath & Will Martindale
    Fairfield – Samantha Heath & Sean McKee (NB: Sean McKee withdrew subsequent to the nomination meeting, but prior to long-listing)
    Latchmere - Sheila Boswell & Sundar Thavapalasundaram
    Queenstown - Samantha Heath & Will Martindale
    Shaftesbury – Sheila Boswell, Chris Summers & Sundar Thavapalasundaram
    St. Mary’s Park – Samantha Heath & Will Martindale

Affiliated organisations made the following nominations.

Co-Operative Party: Sheila Boswell
    Communication Workers Union: No nomination received
    Unite (Kingston-upon-Thames): Sheila Boswell
    Unite (South Thames): Sheila Boswell
    USDAW: No nomination received

Lancaster and Amber Valley also shortlisted during the weekend...but I couldn't find the complete lists yet.
  • Options
    Sean T..awesome stuff..shame we dont have hanging for such crimes..no wonder there is a rise in extreme right wing groups
  • Options
    @Charles

with hindsight, the 2007 figures were giving a misleading reading of the significance of the government.

Or, much more importantly, the significance of our rotten financial sector.

But I'm clearer about your point now.

You want to see a smaller State, and you reconcile the fact that Chancellor Osborne is presiding over bigger State spending than Chancellor Brown ever did by giving the Tory far more benefit of the doubt.

No probs.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    tim said:

Neil said:

I'd ask you to explain how a knowledge of Liverpool FC's past managers might help make her a better legislator but I'm afraid you might try to answer.
    Even I've heard of Bill Shankly....I think it is illustrative of the attitude of the Labour aristocracy - parachuted into safe seats with which they have no connection, evidently little interest and whose qualification for the job was, as another Liverpool Labour MP observed was a 'student politician'...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/crash-landing-for-labour-candidate-parachuted-into-liverpool-1951962.html
    Read Andreas post..
    Don't complain to me about what other Liverpool Labour MPs said!

"Bitter Labour infighting has broken out after a glamorous ex-student leader linked to Tony Blair’s son Euan was selected as the candidate for a highly prized Labour seat.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1247403/Labour-war-Blair-sons-glamorous-friend-chosen-safe-seat.html#ixzz2Xoe7u3Wt
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983

Even I've heard of Bill Shankly....

Without trying to be ungallant is it possible that you might be slightly older than she is? In any case your familiarity with him doesnt mean you're any more suitable to represent a Liverpool constituency in parliament.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    She also allegedly dated Chucka IIRC.
    Fenster said:

She is pretty and not knowing about football is fine, but going out with Sion Simon is absolutely unforgivable.
    What was she thinking?!?!!?

I guess it is illustrative of the attitude of Labour members who voted her instead of the local Cllr. Mind you, you can wonder how bad the local woman could have been at the hustings to be defeated 94 to 56 votes by somebody who doesn't know who Shankly is.

.I think it is illustrative of the attitude of the Labour aristocracy - parachuted into safe seats with which they have no connection, evidently little interest and whose qualification for the job was, as another Liverpool Labour MP observed was a 'student politician'...

• Options
    Gerry_ManderGerry_Mander Posts: 621
    For our football discussion

Offside rule for girls

You're in a shoe shop, second in the queue for the till. Behind the shop assistant on the till is a pair of shoes which you have seen and which you must have.

The female shopper in front of you has seen them also and is eyeing them with desire. Both of you have forgotten your purses.

It would be rude to push in front of the first woman if you had no money to pay for the shoes.

The shop assistant remains at the till waiting.

Your friend is trying on another pair of shoes at the back of the shop and sees your dilemma.

She prepares to throw her purse to you.

If she does so, you can catch the purse, then walk round the other shopper and buy the shoes!

At a pinch she could throw the purse ahead of the other shopper and "whilst it is in flight" you could nip around the other shopper, catch the purse and buy the shoes!

BUT, you must always remember that until the purse has "actually been thrown", it would be plain wrong for you to be in front of the other shopper and you would be OFFSIDE!
  • Options
    you can wonder how bad the local woman could have been at the hustings to be defeated 94 to 56 votes by somebody who doesn't know who Shankly is.

Depends. Perhaps there were 94 Evertonians there.

• Options
    Neil said:

Even I've heard of Bill Shankly....

Without trying to be ungallant is it possible that you might be slightly older than she is? In any case your familiarity with him doesnt mean you're any more suitable to represent a Liverpool constituency in parliament.
    Indeed - but I too have zero interest in football - but if you were 'swotting up' on Liverpool...how long before you came across 'LFC', 'Bill Shankly' or 'Ferry Across the Mersey'?

Its pretty basic stuff.....which suggests, not a lot of swotting involved....and as this thread demonstrates - plenty of fun for those less than impressed with her credentials....

• Options

She also allegedly dated Chucka IIRC.

Yep - a sympathetic portrait by a Tory MP:

http://www.totalpolitics.com/articles/320457/luciana-berger-on-having-to-work-harder-than-the-rest.thtml
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,222

For our football discussion

Offside rule for girls

You're in a shoe shop, second in the queue for the till. Behind the shop assistant on the till is a pair of shoes which you have seen and which you must have.

The female shopper in front of you has seen them also and is eyeing them with desire. Both of you have forgotten your purses.

It would be rude to push in front of the first woman if you had no money to pay for the shoes.

The shop assistant remains at the till waiting.

Your friend is trying on another pair of shoes at the back of the shop and sees your dilemma.

She prepares to throw her purse to you.

If she does so, you can catch the purse, then walk round the other shopper and buy the shoes!

At a pinch she could throw the purse ahead of the other shopper and "whilst it is in flight" you could nip around the other shopper, catch the purse and buy the shoes!

BUT, you must always remember that until the purse has "actually been thrown", it would be plain wrong for you to be in front of the other shopper and you would be OFFSIDE!

Don't be ridiculous. No girl would go to a shoe shop WITHOUT MONEY.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,966
    I don't know anything about Ms Berger, but she did actually increase Labour's majority in 2010, despite the Independent stating in the link supplied below:

The gravest threat to Ms Berger's aspirations came with last week's dramatic wave of support towards the Liberal Democrats. Even before the leaders' television debate, Wavertree was down as the Lib Dems' number one target in the North-west. Labour's majority in Wavertree has shrunk steadily since 1997, fuelled by a boundary change which puts the Party's notional advantage over the Liberal Democrats at 3,000 votes. No surprise that Nick Clegg's very first stop on the electoral trail was to a Penny Lane community centre.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,894
    edited July 2013
    Interesting article for those interested in such things not least for it's use of 'phallocracy' -a word I hadn't come across before and appropriate to the discussion.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/2013/jun/30/eileen-gray-e1027-corbusier-review
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    Liverpool MP Berger hasn't heard of Bill Shankly , I wouldn't be surprised if this frightful woman hasn't heard of The Beatles.

Shamberger.
  • Options

Bobajob said:

Neil said:

TGOHF said:

Is Harriet famed for her football knowledge? :)

• Options

Liverpool MP Berger hasn't heard of Bill Shankly , I wouldn't be surprised if this frightful woman hasn't heard of The Beatles.

Shamberger.

I look forward to countless references to this young Labour fop.
  • Options
    Bobajob said:

Bobajob said:

Neil said:

TGOHF said:

If not her knowledge, her opinions:

"Ms Harman also called for the Football League, which does not have a single female manager, to change."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens-politics/10151948/Its-men-running-the-show-says-Harriet-Harman.html
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,966

Bobajob said:

Bobajob said:

Neil said:

TGOHF said:

If not her knowledge, her opinions:

"Ms Harman also called for the Football League, which does not have a single female manager, to change."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens-politics/10151948/Its-men-running-the-show-says-Harriet-Harman.html

Quite a lot of people would like the Football League to change. Not sure she has called for female football managers though.

• Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    edited July 2013

Shamberger.

Berger is a New Labour quaintrelle . Fops are male , see David Miliband or Chucka.

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,131
    SO - Tunbridge Wells had a LD council in the nineties, and Liverpool was also LD-run quite recently
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    Wow

Mike McCarthy @skynewsnorth
    Interested to learn my former boss at BBC Mark Byford received a £949,000 payoff on top of pension said to be public sector's biggest ever
  • Options
    edited July 2013

Shamberger.

Berger is a New Labour quaintrelle . Fops are male , see David Miliband or Chucka.

"Quaintrelle" is a bit difficult to pronounce without giving grounds for misunderstanding, Moniker.

Take note, for example, of the confusion caused by hard working members of the shadow cabinet telephoning Byron to order the delivery of a late-night burger.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    tim.. dont fool yourself, although that would be easy . There is a rise in right wing extremist groups..they will surface at the right time..no links, just street talk..but keep on slumbering in cosyville..or your Cheshire Manor House
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Jake Morrisons resignation statement includes this bit:

I would eventually like to return to a Labour Party that welcomes freedom of expression and fights for working people. This should immediately include repealing the bedroom tax, investing in a massive scheme of building social houses. Restoring the NHS baring in mind its founding principles and reverse all cuts. Create decent jobs for all, guaranteed job or training for all young people and establishment of the Living wage for all ages. Opposing Michael Gove's destructive Education reforms. Restore decent standards of welfare provision based on peoples needs, not bowing down to Tory ideology - The Labour Party should be there to stick up for people who need a helping hand.

http://blogs.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/dalestreetblues/2013/06/full-statement-jake-morrison-r.html

I cannot see the Conservative or LibDem standing down his favour, indeed his statement includes the piece "talk of coalition with the LibDems makes me want to vomit"

Is he tims younger doppleganger?

But I quite like Berger, we need more wealthy public school educated management consultants in Parliament (though I do wonder how useful management consultancy from those wet behind the ears truly is). Some say Berger is neither use nor ornament, but I would disagree. She has considerable ornamental value, and adds to the gaity of nations in her choice of date nights.
  • Options
    foxinsox..another Labour headbanger..
  • Options

Yes. It is not hard to see why Berger did not want him to go off script.

She could keep me on script though, any night!
  • Options
    Roger said:

Interesting article for those interested in such things not least for it's use of 'phallocracy' -a word I hadn't come across before and appropriate to the discussion.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/2013/jun/30/eileen-gray-e1027-corbusier-review

Phallocracy is about the strength of it. Over the past few months I have heard Berger criticised by our rightwing friends for spending too much on her hair (Sean T) nails and make up, and not knowing anything about football (Carlotta).

I look forward to the day when male MPs are criticised for spending a lot of money on a car and not knowing enough about fashion.

• Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

Yes. It is not hard to see why Berger did not want him to go off script.

She could keep me on script though, any night!
    I don't know about others in PB, but I have indeed met the young woman a few times. Very charming !! She will walk Wavertree easily. As Southam noted, she actually increased her majority last time despite negative publicity. The rules of incumbancy applies to her as well.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    edited July 2013
    @TGOHF

Tim
    'I don't really care where someon comes from'

Comedy gold.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    As each hour passes, events in Egypt are beginning to look less like a spontaneous popular uprising and more like a carefully orchestrated military coup.

One step forward or backward?

The 'Arab Spring' has fast decayed.
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    edited July 2013
    Egypt: Three cornered ring.

There is little doubt Morsi is under the cosh. The opposition intend s to bring the country to a standstill, the army are hovering and he is now suffering resignations within his cabinet.

Strangely though the Muslim Brotherhood has stayed remarkably passive. It is possible some elements of the Brotherhood are losing interest in Morsi but certainly not in holding power. That passivity, however, is either based on some paralysis, a belief that this will peter out and its better not to confront it or the passivity about to change. What is less known to Western observers is that Brotherhood has long run its own militias and it may well activate them again.

The result could be a three cornered situation, the opposition, itself a mish-mash of groups, the Brotherhood and its backers and the army who have been careful not to pick a side but clearly layed down the line. Is the Tamarod movement a front for a coup? I'm not sure it is, but organisation often wins out in chaos and the army have it.

Edit: Deputy Head of the Armed Forces has quit as a Presidential advisor. Curious.
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    AveryLP said:

As each hour passes, events in Egypt are beginning to look less like a spontaneous popular uprising and more like a carefully orchestrated military coup.

Egypt was never a peoples revolution really when Mubarak went. It was part coup.
  • Options
    CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805
    tim said:

"Academies and free schools should become profit-making businesses using hedge funds and venture capitalists to raise money, according to private plans being drawn up by the Education Secretary, Michael Gove."

@IndyPolitics: Cash for classrooms: Michael Gove plans to let firms run schools for profit http://t.co/0A7BTIIlgq

No, really? *faints*
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Y0kel said:

AveryLP said:

Egypt was never a peoples revolution really when Mubarak went. It was part coup.
    It is clear that the military currently holds decisive power.

So what does it want?

1. Morsi humiliated and brought to heel?
    2. Morsi replaced?
    3. Regime change based on new elections?
    4. Overt military coup and rule?

My guess is only 1. at this stage, but with the options to escalate upwards if and when necessary.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    tim said:

"Academies and free schools should become profit-making businesses using hedge funds and venture capitalists to raise money, according to private plans being drawn up by the Education Secretary, Michael Gove."

@IndyPolitics: Cash for classrooms: Michael Gove plans to let firms run schools for profit http://t.co/0A7BTIIlgq

Thank Gove it is just hedge funds and venture capitalists who are being considered as suppliers of finance. If it were the bankstas too, I too would have fainted.
  • Options
    Bobajob said:

Roger said:

not knowing anything about football (Carlotta).
    No, her constituency.

But great fun seeing Labour supporters defending a parachuted in privately educated North London management consultant with a £5,000 number plate. Go LU51ANA!

Similar behaviour by other parties would no doubt pass without comment....
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983

But great fun seeing Labour supporters defending a parachuted in privately educated North London management consultant with a £5,000 number plate. Go LU51ANA!

Good to see you focusing on the issues that really matter, Carlotta.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,222
    There will never be democracy in the Arab world until its people understand (a) that one's creed should not be a basis for citizenship, government or law; and (b) the legitimacy of people having different (even radically different) views on matters of public policy - in short the concept of loyal opposition while still being patriots. Habits of thought are needed for democracy not simply elections and parties and the processes attached to those.

It took the West a long time to understand both points and, arguably, we had a better starting point.

Until then all the changes we are seeing are simply different groups vying for, achieving or being thrown out of power - with different degrees of violence.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,563
    New Thread
  • Options
    Neil said:

Good to see you focusing on the issues that really matter, Carlotta.
    Burger off!
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

Y0kel said:

AveryLP said:

It is clear that the military currently holds decisive power.

So what does it want?

1. Morsi humiliated and brought to heel?
    2. Morsi replaced?
    3. Regime change based on new elections?
    4. Overt military coup and rule?

My guess is only 1. at this stage, but with the options to escalate upwards if and when necessary.

Soon it will be Ramadan, which will be particularly gruelling in the summer heat, so we may see things quiten down a bit, at least during the daytime. There may be some post break-fast trouble though.

Egypt is a beautiful country, and the historic sites magnificent. I would not want to see it become another Syria, but we have to recognise that there is that risk.

While Morsi was democratically elected, democracy requires more than majority rule, it reqquires respect for minority views. A military coup could be very unsettling.

This discussion has been closed.