Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » LEAVE’s strong support amongst the oldies is an online phen

SystemSystem Posts: 11,698
edited May 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » LEAVE’s strong support amongst the oldies is an online phenomenon – the phone surveys paint a different picture

After all the discussion during the week about why the phone and online polls are showing such different pictures I’ve been examining the detailed data from he last eight polls. The area where the two modes most divide is with the oldies – the group that, as we all know is most likely to turnout on June 23rd.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,785
    First....Encore!
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    2nd like Sri Lanka in a two horse race that is the cricket...
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838
    This leaves me wondering what the breakdown is for other age segments. Isn't it the case that phone polls have better Remain numbers at all ages?

But it is a good point that a lot of older people don't use the internet. Whether that would equate to being less Leaverish, who knows?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,102
    3/4 phone polls still have a majority of over 65s voting Leave, just by a narrower margin than those online
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    This is typical of Brexit opinion pieces in the Mirror.

https://twitter.com/thecarolemalone/status/736605415321010176
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,896
    FPT I can't see any reason why UKIP should be just about to vanish, other than wishful thinking from Lib Dems who think they're on the cusp of a major breakthrough.

At every round of elections post 2012, UKIP have enjoyed a net gain.
  • Options
    Glad to see Mike doing a thread on this. Someone pointed out this discrepancy over a week ago in the comments.

I dont think the reason Mike gives stacks up. Mike is essentially saying that online polls are over represented by middle class pensioners of above average wealth and intelligence.

If that were true wouldn the online polls lean too much to remain not brexit?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,039
    I'm for REMAIN but I don't believe a word Cameron says
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    edited May 2016
    Sean_F said:

FPT I can't see any reason why UKIP should be just about to vanish, other than wishful thinking from Lib Dems who think they're on the cusp of a major breakthrough.

Sean_F said:

I think you'll find that UKIP has fewer council seats than it did a year ago. It simply hasn't found a way of holding on at by-elections.

• Options

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

I think you'll find that UKIP has fewer council seats than it did a year ago. It simply hasn't found a way of holding on at by-elections.

UKIP had a net gain of 26 this year.
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138

Sean_F said:

FPT I can't see any reason why UKIP should be just about to vanish, other than wishful thinking from Lib Dems who think they're on the cusp of a major breakthrough. At every round of elections post 2012, UKIP have enjoyed a net gain.

UKIP was the number one recipient for protest votes while the Lib Dems were clutched in the embraces of the despicable Tories. Now that they have broken free, they can receive protest votes again.

As well of course, as all the Lib Dem votes that were on loan to the "nice" Mr Cameron, in order to save us all from the evil Milliband and his even more evil controller, Mrs Sturgeon.
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838

Glad to see Mike doing a thread on this. Someone pointed out this discrepancy over a week ago in the comments.

I dont think the reason Mike gives stacks up. Mike is essentially saying that online polls are over represented by middle class pensioners of above average wealth and intelligence.

If that were true wouldn the online polls lean too much to remain not brexit?

Does internet use amongst pensioners correlate with wealth, intelligence etc? It might be that richer more intelligent pensioners are, on average, better connected with stronger social circles and, if anything, less engagement with the online world. Maybe. There must be some research on this?
  • Options
    PClipp said:

Sean_F said:

FPT I can't see any reason why UKIP should be just about to vanish, other than wishful thinking from Lib Dems who think they're on the cusp of a major breakthrough. At every round of elections post 2012, UKIP have enjoyed a net gain.

UKIP was the number one recipient for protest votes while the Lib Dems were clutched in the embraces of the despicable Tories. Now that they have broken free, they can receive protest votes again.

As well of course, as all the Lib Dem votes that were on loan to the "nice" Mr Cameron, in order to save us all from the evil Milliband and his even more evil controller, Mrs Sturgeon.
    I think the Lib Dems will do better in local elections than they did in 2011-15, for the reasons you give. But, it won't avail them at Parliamentary level.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,236
    edited May 2016
    I know there are a few SpaceX fans here.This onboard film from yesterday is pretty funky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jEz03Z8azc
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

PClipp said:

Sean_F said:

I think the Lib Dems will do better in local elections than they did in 2011-15, for the reasons you give. But, it won't avail them at Parliamentary level.
    If everyone else hadn't voted, the LDs would have majority in Parliament :wink:
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,676
    On topic -

'A leading polling expert has said he would be very surprised if a majority of people over the age of 65 do not vote to leave the European Union."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36396710

• Options

I know there are a few SpaceX fans here.This onboard film from yesterday is pretty funky.

ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jEz03Z8azc

Cooooool
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,334

On topic -

'A leading polling expert has said he would be very surprised if a majority of people over the age of 65 do not vote to leave the European Union."

If he's right, bad news for remain. What proportion of voters will be over 65, given likely low turnout? 50% doesn't seem wholly unrealistic.

On the other hand, if phone polls are right about the oldies, that's very good news for remain for the same reason!
  • Options

Sean_F said:

PClipp said:

Sean_F said:

If everyone else hadn't voted, the LDs would have majority in Parliament :wink:
    They would still have found a way to lose more than 326 seats under Calamity Clegg!
  • Options

On topic -

The Flower Power generation think they were conned, in 1975.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    I think oldies are more likely to be 62% leave then only 53% leave. Just my gut instinct. What is others gut feel on this I would like to know.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,052
    Sean_F said:

On topic -

That's one of two explanations that fit the facts. The other is that Eurosceptics are less likely to die early.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,377
    edited May 2016

Cognitive dissonance?
  • Options
    Paul_BedfordshirePaul_Bedfordshire Posts: 3,632
    edited May 2016
    My experience is that the divide is about at 40. Tbe more over 40 you are the more brexit you are (libdem enthusiasts excepted)

Probably in part because over 40s can remember a time when you could replace your windows without them having to be approved by the local soviet.
  • Options
    edited May 2016

My experience is that the divide is about at 40. Tbe more over 40 you are the more brexit you are (libdem enthusiasts excepted)

Probably in part because over 40s can remember a time when you could replace your windows without them having to be approved by the local soviet.

Um, I am 40 and 6 months :)
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    edited May 2016
    Remain campaigners clutching at straws
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited May 2016
    rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

On topic -

That's one of two explanations that fit the facts. The other is that Eurosceptics are less likely to die early.
    Plenty of other explanations too. For example older people get the more rigid their views and less inclined to see change in a positive way.

People who self select for internet panels have put themselves forward to give an opinion, those contacted by phone have not chosen to do that. The main difference between the methodology is who chooses the sample. Internet polls are inherently biased, hence the complex weightings used to try to correct for this. The problem is that you can only correct for known factors, a random sample by phone corrects for unknown biasing factors too (though with some imperfections).
  • Options
    scoopscoop Posts: 64
    I am an over 65 Remainer and just done YOUGUV Referendum online poll. Questions were the usual vote questions plus a few additional about Economy Better in or out.
  • Options
    It is time that someone invented a Doom-o-matic on the same lines as Daily-mail-o-matc giving random doom that witll occur if we Brexit.

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
  • Options
    From the reports in the press it looks as if the remain campaign is struggling to find votes anywhere - they are begging on hands and knees for the younger naïve voters to come out. What next - promise them extra grants at University if Remain wins?
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 710
    edited May 2016
    Fox - Phone-poll respondents are also self-selecting samples. Most refuse to take part. The response rate is apparently between 5 and 8%.
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

From the reports in the press it looks as if the remain campaign is struggling to find votes anywhere - they are begging on hands and knees for the younger naïve voters to come out. What next - promise them extra grants at University if Remain wins?

Maybe leave should promise to use the money we save on the EU fees to abolish student tuition fees.

Woupd make the libdems heads explode
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,354

Cognitive dissonance?
    No, lots of us support Remain without being fans of Dave. It's not as though he seemed to be a huge Eurofan himself - I get the impression that he simply wants to win the vote and then retire.

On topic, I'm wary of post-hoc analyses, but the nugget of info that phone canvasses have more oldies than needed in their samples does suggest that they may be a better guide to this high-turnout subsection.

By the way, is it time to have a new column on likely turnout? I think it'll be pretty high myself - 57-58% or so. Everyone seems to have an opinion, which isn't altogether the case even at General elections.
  • Options

I think the tipping point from Remain to Leave is about 44.

Certainly (and very strangely) younger people today are more willing to do as they're told by authority figures than older people are.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,289
    edited May 2016
    England haven't won the World Cup since 1966, and the FA have to get enough votes to land a successful bid. Johnson's claim is a load of balls.
  • Options
    It must have escaped Remain's notice that the only time England has hosted a World Cup was before we joined the Common Market.
  • Options

Cognitive dissonance?
    No, lots of us support Remain without being fans of Dave. It's not as though he seemed to be a huge Eurofan himself - I get the impression that he simply wants to win the vote and then retire.

On topic, I'm wary of post-hoc analyses, but the nugget of info that phone canvasses have more oldies than needed in their samples does suggest that they may be a better guide to this high-turnout subsection.

By the way, is it time to have a new column on likely turnout? I think it'll be pretty high myself - 57-58% or so. Everyone seems to have an opinion, which isn't altogether the case even at General elections.
    That seems pretty low to me with over four in ten not voting.

75-80% or more is a high turnout.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    NeilVW said:

Fox - Phone-poll respondents are also self-selecting samples. Most refuse to take part. The response rate is apparently between 5 and 8%.

The difference is that online polls are actively self selecting while phone polls are passively self selecting. It makes a difference to bias.
  • Options

It must have escaped Remain's notice that the only time England has hosted a World Cup was before we joined the Common Market.

The only time we WON the World Cup was before we joined the Common Market!
  • Options
    Also, when the Olympics was awarded to London, they were in a fight with Paris and Madrid. Not much EU solidarity there.
  • Options

Cognitive dissonance?

Indeed as most Remainers are LD, Lab, SNP or Green rather than Cameronite Tories, I suspect that the majority of Remainers have no love of Cameron and Osborne.

• Options
    Hertsmere_PubgoerHertsmere_Pubgoer Posts: 3,476
    edited May 2016
    weejonnie said:

Have we had a 'Brexit could force universities to close' headline yet?
  • Options

Cognitive dissonance?

Indeed as most Remainers are LD, Lab, SNP or Green rather than Cameronite Tories, I suspect that the majority of Remainers have no love of Cameron and Osborne.

And yet they are swallowing all of the tripe being fed to them by Cameron and Osborne.
  • Options

weejonnie said:

Maybe leave should promise to use the money we save on the EU fees to abolish student tuition fees.

The annual cost is £4 billion or so - At £133 million a week that would take 30 weeks - and we would still have room for 11 new hospitals.

However wouldn't such a promise fall foul of the Representation of the People Act - inducing people to vote.
  • Options

weejonnie said:

Have we head a 'Brexit could for universities to close' headline yet?
    Brexit will disable your PS4 and block online porn.
  • Options
    edited May 2016

We've come close - on a couple of times. Maybe if Brexit results in fewer European footballers playing in the Premier league we can develop some more home-grown talent.

Vote Brexit - to Win the World Cup
  • Options

weejonnie said:

http://www.theguardian.com/higher-education-network/2016/apr/12/four-reasons-a-brexit-would-be-bad-news-for-uk-universities
  • Options

weejonnie said:

It will be a never ending diet of Mills & Boon or Barbara Cartland.
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

weejonnie said:

The annual cost is £4 billion or so - At £133 million a week that would take 30 weeks - and we would still have room for 11 new hospitals.

However wouldn't such a promise fall foul of the Representation of the People Act - inducing people to vote.
    They could point out tbat leaving the EU would free up the money to abolish tuition fees
  • Options

Cognitive dissonance?

And yet they are swallowing all of the tripe being fed to them by Cameron and Osborne.
    Not at all. Voting Remain despite rather than because of those two.

The vapid bilge from Leave helps too. For Centrist and left wing voters the leading Leave people are pretty repellent.
  • Options

We only win world cups under Labour governments.

Football 1966

Rugby 2003
  • Options
    PAWPAW Posts: 1,074
    wonder what the civilian assets referred to are - the police perhaps?
  • Options

Cognitive dissonance?

Not at all. Voting Remain despite rather than because of those two.

The vapid bilge from Leave helps too. For Centrist and left wing voters the leading Leave people are pretty repellent.
    Plus we have those clowns who pitched up in Leicester and this chap:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36390378

My reasons for voting Leave are nowt to do with any of them.
  • Options

weejonnie said:

Brexit means your mother will buy all your clothes.
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

weejonnie said:

http://www.theguardian.com/higher-education-network/2016/apr/12/four-reasons-a-brexit-would-be-bad-news-for-uk-universities
    Blimey, I was being facetious. Never misunderestimate Remain.
  • Options

weejonnie said:

Worse than that - your mother will MAKE all of your clothes!
  • Options

weejonnie said:

And children won't be able to have ice cream any more.
  • Options
    Remember - L is for Leave, L is for Lice.
  • Options
    PAW said:

wonder what the civilian assets referred to are - the police perhaps?

Intelligence bods?
  • Options

weejonnie said:

And cut your hair.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    edited May 2016
    Good evening all.
    The answer to the question this thread poses is simple. Older people are much happier filling in answers to questions from pollsters on the web than answering questions or indeed speaking on the phone to strangers. Although it doesn't trouble me - my voice is strong and firm - many oldsters have wavery voices and have a physical inability to articulate as they did when younger. This shames many of our older bretheren, who then like to be as brief as possible.

Therefore I totally oppose OGH's summary. :)
  • Options
    edited May 2016

:lol:

Where's that from again?

EDIT Harry Enfield?
  • Options

weejonnie said:

And cut your hair.
    And brush your teeth.
  • Options

Where's that from again?

EDIT Harry Enfield?
    L is for Labour. L is for Lice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iK9IR9gmCHw
  • Options
    Right, time for some French TV on BBC4 ...
  • Options

weejonnie said:

Actually that could happen if we remain.

http://eatoutmagazine.co.uk/ice-cream-under-threat-because-new-eu-regulations

Save our Ice Cream - Vote Brexit
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,922

ICYMI - Mr Lilico's 2p

"The EU is not an economic project. The main good things about it are not economic and the reasons for leaving are not economic either. The economic case for Brexit is not that there would be large economic gains; it is that there would not be prohibitive economic costs that make it unfeasible to secure the large geopolitical, self-determination and constitutional gains we can make by leaving.

Nonetheless, there is a chance that if all goes well, Brexit could be economically beneficial over the medium term. How so? After all, the Treasury says the UK would sacrifice 6 per cent of GDP growth by 2030 by leaving. How might we gain, instead?"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/25/why-leaving-the-eu-could-actually-be-to-our-economic-advantage/

I know you mean well and I don't want my response interpreted as an anti-Brexit rant, but Lilico has previous for wishful/inaccurate thinking regarding numbers - so much so I've just given up on him. He thought that the cost in dollars of some climate-change scheme was the same as the cost in dollars as terraforming Mars, a statement so jawdroppingly inaccurate the only rational discussion is by how many orders of magnitude the inaccuracy is.

It's difficult to find now - Telegraph have fixed their robots.txt file so it doesn't come up on "Wayback" and somebody's done a "right to be forgotten" thing on it so it doesn't come up in searches, but the original was here, the archived copy is here, and some ranty discussions on it are here and here.

So if you'll forgive me, no I won't read it, for which I apologise.
  • Options

Where's that from again?

EDIT Harry Enfield?
    L is for Labour. L is for Lice.

ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iK9IR9gmCHw
  • Options
    edited May 2016

Right, time for some French TV on BBC4 ...

English is the best language in the world.

All but one of the 26 Eurovision final entries was sung in English, or partly in English.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    nunu said:

I think oldies are more likely to be 62% leave then only 53% leave. Just my gut instinct. What is others gut feel on this I would like to know.

Gut feel is not a good guide

• Options
    edited May 2016
    And people mock the Daily Express / Daily Mail over scare stories...I am sure they have some sort of random word generator, which they run every morning and then attach BREXIT would mean an end to this.

I really don't know why they don't stick to a core series of arguments which are genuine likely difficulties of leaving the EU.
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

weejonnie said:

https://twitter.com/Stronger_ln/status/733001438029287425
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,953

weejonnie said:

That is a very good suggestion.

My theory is that the arguments most likely to resonate for Vote Leave are those that illustrate negative consequences of EU membership (EU students getting subsidised tuition and taking UK uni places) through the promise of positive improvements (lower tuition fees).

Far more tangible than the Remainiac's economic scare stories.

Anecdote alert: spent last night in the pub with colleagues. Two lefties accused, one in hectoring tones, a mate of mine of bigotry for reporting that increased MENA immigration to Germany seems to have resulted in various reports of attacks on women.

• Options
    BenedictWhiteBenedictWhite Posts: 1,944
    weejonnie said:

weejonnie said:

Actually that could happen if we remain.

http://eatoutmagazine.co.uk/ice-cream-under-threat-because-new-eu-regulations

Save our Ice Cream - Vote Brexit
    The problem with the EU is that it is hard to parody. I mean. WTF?
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,289
    The Burnham random number generator has sprung into action.

http://www.itv.com/news/update/2016-05-28/burnham-says-government-left-manchester-1bn-short/

It has predicted that Manchester is short of £1bn, tomorrow Burnham will correctly predict the outcome of every game at Euro 2016, and next week's lottery balls.
  • Options
    Is mason turning to writing Marxist political bonkbusters?
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

The Burnham random number generator has sprung into action.

http://www.itv.com/news/update/2016-05-28/burnham-says-government-left-manchester-1bn-short/

It has predicted that Manchester is short of £1bn, tomorrow Burnham will correctly predict the outcome of every game at Euro 2016, and next week's lottery balls.

Gettng his excuses in early...
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478

In brief: sensible.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869

Cognitive dissonance?

Maybe the people I meet with every day are far from being typical - if any of them have an opinion, it isn't one they choose to talk about. Really, I don't think I've ever heard anyone mention it.
  • Options
    Toms said:

Half sensible.
  • Options

nunu said:

Gut feel is not a good guide

Maybe. Out of intterest whats yours are the 65+ closer to 53 or 62?
  • Options
    This is all Greek to me, would someone knowledgeable on gilts like to comment?

https://medium.com/@aldursys/the-other-240m-per-week-contribution-due-to-the-eu-c54e4eb0a763#.9t5bte9ij
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

weejonnie said:

That is a very good suggestion.

My theory is that the arguments most likely to resonate for Vote Leave are those that illustrate negative consequences of EU membership (EU students getting subsidised tuition and taking UK uni places) through the promise of positive improvements (lower tuition fees).

Far more tangible than the Remainiac's economic scare stories.

Anecdote alert: spent last night in the pub with colleagues. Two lefties accused, one in hectoring tones, a mate of mine of bigotry for reporting that increased MENA immigration to Germany seems to have resulted in various reports of attacks on women.

Not nice - but the left aren't nice. This was regrettably proven by a close relative (who supports the LDs) defacing my Vote Leave sticker in the car.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    "SPIEGEL has learned that Martin Selmayr, the head of cabinet for European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker, held a meeting on Monday with representatives from some (6 founding members) EU states to take part in the discrete talks.

The meetings are considered to be extremely sensitive since nobody in Brussels wants to give the impression that the EU is anticipating the British will vote to leave the EU. In reality, however, uneasiness is on the rise at EU headquarters given how even the two sides are according to British public opinion polls.

...The foreign ministers agreed that, should Brexit become a reality, Europe would badly need a boost of energy.

http://m.spiegel.de/international/europe/a-1094603.html#spRedirectedFrom=www&referrrer=
  • Options

This is all Greek to me, would someone knowledgeable on gilts like to comment?

https://medium.com/@aldursys/the-other-240m-per-week-contribution-due-to-the-eu-c54e4eb0a763#.9t5bte9ij

I don't think you need to be knowledgeablr.

1) The government borrows money by issuing gilts

2) The interest paid on the gilts is £240 million a week going abroad (i.e. impoverishing the UK economy)

3) The UK Government could in theory borrow money from the bank of England - so the money stays in the UK.

4) This is not allowed by EU regulations.

(Not saying this is a bad thing as otherwise some Governments would just print money, causing high inflation, and paying back the debt with money only a fraction of the value as that borrowed.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    weejonnie said:

Toms said:

Half sensible.
    I wholly disagree.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

I have been astonished at non-political acquaintances suddenly taking an interest in voting, and saying they will vote Leave.

Anecdotal I know, but I do think the turnout will be very good, and there's every chance Leave could do it.

• Options

weejonnie said:

Don't say things like that on the internet........
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,221

weejonnie said:

No - much worse than that. Your mother will KNIT all of your clothes!
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    Cyclefree said:

weejonnie said:

No - much worse than that. Your mother will KNIT all of your clothes!

So that's how WW3 starts.

• Options

Football 1966

Rugby 2003
    Not true - world T20 title was won on the 16th May 2010, in the first week of the Coalition. That's worth a dozen world cups in a rubbishy sport like football as well :wink:
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Football 1966

Rugby 2003
    Not true - world T20 title was won on the 16th May 2010, in the first week of the Coalition. That's worth a dozen world cups in a rubbishy sport like football as well :wink:
    How many of our fellow EU nations play Cricket anyway? :lol:
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    ydoethur said:

Football 1966

Rugby 2003
    Most of the tournemant was under a Labour govt, only the final not. There was probably a persisting helpful miasma of socialism still present in the atmosphere.

:-)
  • Options
    BenedictWhiteBenedictWhite Posts: 1,944

ydoethur said:

Football 1966

Rugby 2003
    How many of our fellow EU nations play Cricket anyway? :lol:
    Where?
This discussion has been closed.