Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Final vote tally from last month’s locals shows UKIP in sec

SystemSystem Posts: 11,705
edited June 2013 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Final vote tally from last month’s locals shows UKIP in second place in seats contested

These figures differ considerably from the notional national vote extrapolations put out by the broadcasters and Professors Rallings and Thrasher on the night and on the following two days. They were serving a different purpose trying to relate the elections to a general election.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    edited June 2013
    Many thanks to Andy JS indeed, this must have been quite an effort.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    The reason that Labour appears to have done so poorly in these figures is down solely to the nature of the seats contested. These were very much in Tory territory – mostly the shire counties – where you would expect the blues to do well.

You can't make a statement like that without a comparable.

I know it's not a perfect proxy, but Tories + UKIP was 54%. What was it last time the seats were contested?

Labour this time was 21%. What was it last time the seats were contested?
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,904
    edited June 2013
    Remarkably accurate by ComRes. All within 2 points of the actual result except for the Tories who were 3 points out.

'Shy' (or embarrassed) Tories are obviously still a phenomena.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Charles,

On May 2nd The Tories were defending twice as many seats as the LDs and Labour combined.

My recall is that in 2009 the Tories secured almost half the vote
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Charles said:

The reason that Labour appears to have done so poorly in these figures is down solely to the nature of the seats contested. These were very much in Tory territory – mostly the shire counties – where you would expect the blues to do well.

I know it's not a perfect proxy, but Tories + UKIP was 54%. What was it last time the seats were contested?

The seats were mostly last contested in 2009 , the Labour vote then was just under 14%

There were a few uncontested seats mainly Conservative which if contested would have brought Comres a little closer to the actual result .

• Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited June 2013
    O/T - thanks HenryG for the tennis tips yesterday. I got on Verdasco (outright) at 390/1 via BF.

He played pretty well today- now down to 150/1
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    edited June 2013
    A reminder of the last ComRes VI phone poll since their polling's possible accuracy is being highlighted.
    CON 30%(nc), LAB 36%(+2), LDEM 10%(nc), UKIP 14%(-3).
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    Labour doesn't look like a party of government, whatever the excuses.

All Dave needs to do is match Nigel's promises on Pullman Cars and he will storm home in 2015.
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    Waseem Azmet ‏@WaseemAzmet 5h

General Carter advocated for negotiations with Taliban. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23109196 … but Taliban claim they are Al-Qaeda http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23079447
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    One nation Labour some way off.
  • Options
    "One nation Labour some way off"

We're all speechless!
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    edited June 2013
    " The reason that Labour appears to have done so poorly in these figures is down solely to the nature of the seats contested. These were very much in Tory territory – mostly the shire counties – where you would expect the blues to do well. "

I have to disagree with the notion that Labour's poor showing was " down solely to the nature of the seats contested. " I think that the unsatisfactory nature of Labour's leadership , namely Ed Balls and Ed Miliband , played a significant and deleterious part.
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983

I think that the unsatisfactory nature of Labour's leadership , namely Ed Ball and Ed Miliband , played a significant and deleterious part.

Yes ... if David Miliband was leader they'd have taken Surrey County Council.
  • Options
    Though I think we can all acknowledge that Labour's failure to win Cornwall was down to overconfidence.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,789
    How did UKIP do in terms of seats? I asked yesterday and one of the UKIP supporters got rather shirty with me....
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    edited June 2013
    Pong said:

O/T - thanks HenryG for the tennis tips yesterday. I got on Verdasco (outright) at 390/1 via BF. He played pretty well today- now down to 150/1

My thanks for the tips also. I took Verdasco for a finals spot with WH. The Janowicz match went so completely against form that I was (almost) happy to lose as he played so well.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,005
    BNP mouse mat for six fingered folk

https://twitter.com/goodwinmj/status/350976759841296385
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    As James Kelly would say, Laura Robson is looking quite Scottish at present.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    antifrank said:

As James Kelly would say, Laura Robson is looking quite Scottish at present.

Playing Miss Er-choke-avic

• Options
    Neil said:

Though I think we can all acknowledge that Labour's failure to win Cornwall was down to overconfidence.

There is something very amiss when the party of the people can get no traction in the poorest county in England.

• Options
    antifrank said:

There is something very amiss when the party of the people can get no traction in the poorest county in England.

Especially given that we know they were outworking the Tories on the ground ;)
  • Options
    Ha, there's a bus trapped on the finishing line of the 1st stage of the TdF and the peloton is bearing down towards the end of the stage...
  • Options
    Cavendish on the wrong side of a huge crash - must be value in the Stage 1 betting if you can be quick.
  • Options
    Kittel came in from at least 6.6 to 1.6 and ended up winning.
  • Options
    Interesting almost complete lack of movement in the YouGov "stick to deficit reduction (Plan A) vs change strategy" (Plan B).

2013 YTD (Diff vs 2012)
    Plan A: 32 (-)
    Plan B: 40 (+1)

http://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/k1jily9hen/YG-Archives-Pol-Trackers-Economy 2 -280613.pdf
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,983
    Charles said:

I think it was Con 44%, LD 25%, Lab 13%, UKIP 5% in 2009.
  • Options

How did UKIP do in terms of seats? I asked yesterday and one of the UKIP supporters got rather shirty with me....

138 County Council seats, compared to 9 in 2009.
  • Options
    So the LibDems did relatively worse than the Tories? (who lost 10 points - or less than 25% - vs. LD 11 points or c. 40%)

And Labour only picked up 7 points while the LibDems lost 11.

No one did well, except UKIP (in terms of share of the vote, not seats)
  • Options
    Charles said:

So the LibDems did relatively worse than the Tories? (who lost 10 points - or less than 25% - vs. LD 11 points or c. 40%)

Essentially.

• Options
    Sean_F said:

Charles said:

Essentially.

Funny how that never seems to come out in the headers...
  • Options
    Charles said:

Sean_F said:

Charles said:

Essentially.

*Cough*

Check out what some bloke called antifrank said after the local elections on this thread:

http://www7.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2013/05/04/the-revolt-of-the-shires-camerons-last-warning/
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,142

The relevant fact is not how much UKIP gains but how much the Conservatives lose.

If the Conservatives lose 5% of their MPs in 2015 they might lose power, if they lose 10% of their MPs then they definately lose power.

Its effectively irrelevant how many MPs UKIP get - 0, 1, 2, 10, 20 - because they're not aiming for government are they.

But greater support for UKIP makes it harder for the Conservatives to win an election.

Instead we have Conservative supporters obsessing about UKIP not making enough gains while ignoring the seats they're losing to Labour.
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    Labour selected Tal Michael for Ynys Mon byelection
  • Options

Instead we have Conservative supporters obsessing about UKIP not making enough gains while ignoring the seats they're losing to Labour.

The *really* insightful ones spend ages trying to convince themselves that UKIP doubling their GE vote in 2015 (or even better) is a problem for Labour rather than the Tories.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Charles said:

Sean_F said:

Charles said:

Essentially.

*Cough*

Check out what some bloke called antifrank said after the local elections on this thread:

http://www7.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2013/05/04/the-revolt-of-the-shires-camerons-last-warning/
    You're a pensions lawyer.

I'd be pretty worried about your firm if you couldn't analyze basic data accurately....
  • Options
    Neil said:

The *really* insightful ones spend ages trying to convince themselves that UKIP doubling their GE vote in 2015 (or even better) is a problem for Labour rather than the Tories.
    No. The *really* insightful ones reckon that the first 10+ points that UKIP pick up hurt the Tories disproportionately, but after that it begins to hurt Labour as well. It's not all a one-way street.
  • Options

The relevant fact is not how much UKIP gains but how much the Conservatives lose.

If the Conservatives lose 5% of their MPs in 2015 they might lose power, if they lose 10% of their MPs then they definately lose power.

Its effectively irrelevant how many MPs UKIP get - 0, 1, 2, 10, 20 - because they're not aiming for government are they.

But greater support for UKIP makes it harder for the Conservatives to win an election.

The Conservatives lost plenty of seats to UKIP (often seats that Labour had won in 2005). But, there don't seem to have been all that many seats that were lost because the right-wing vote was split (probably because the Lib Dem vote also fell). Overall Conservative losses were at the lower end of expectations.

If UKIP can poll well in next year's local elections, which are held on the same day as the Euros, then I'd expect to see them gain from both Labour and Conservatives, as a lot more urban seats are contested..
  • Options
    Charles said:

No. The *really* insightful ones reckon that the first 10+ points that UKIP pick up hurt the Tories disproportionately, but after that it begins to hurt Labour as well. It's not all a one-way street.

You can get really good odds on UKIP picking up a lot more than 10+ points at the next GE, Charles.
  • Options
    Charles Moore in the Telegraph points out where Cameron went wrong on health and shows it was a similar mistake to that which Brown made with banking:

" Instead of endorsing what mattered – health care for all – Mr Cameron endorsed our particular system delivering it. It is the worst in the Western world. It is organised from the centre and run by the producers and the trade unions. The one thing it cannot do is what we all most want – to look at the whole patient and meet his or her medical needs. Anyone on a waiting list (currently 24 weeks in our area for a rheumatology appointment) experiences this. So does anyone elderly, or with an elderly relation. So do the queues in A and E, the sick who cannot get a GP at weekends; so did the dead in Mid Staffs or Barrow-in-Furness.

Out of a sense of their own weakness, the Conservatives put themselves in hock to the sort of service that a man like David Nicholson delivers. It was out of a similar vulnerability – in Labour’s case, about how to deal with capitalists – that Gordon Brown abased himself in front of the bankers. It has all gone wrong. As the Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt rushes from studio to studio trying to get ahead of the story, you can tell by his hunted look that he sees this, too late. "

Doubtless the next government will make a similar mistake in another field and the next government after that. All based upon an inward looking political class relying on the 'expertise' of self-serving and incompetant executive classes.
  • Options
    Neil said:

Eastleigh by election 1994

Liberal Democrat David Chidgey 24,473 44.3 %
    Labour Marilyn Birks 15,234 27.6 %
    Conservative Stephen Reid 13,675 24.7 %
    UKIP Nigel Farage 952 1.7 %

Eastleigh by election 2013

Mike Thornton Liberal Democrat 13,342 32.1 %
    Diane James UKIP 11,57 27.8 %
    Maria Hutchings Conservative 10,55 25.4 %
    John O'Farrell Labour 4,088 9.8 %

I wonder where those UKIP votes are coming from ?
  • Options
    Step forward and take a bow, Moniker!
  • Options
    Neil said:

Step forward and take a bow, Moniker!

Treated.
  • Options
    tim said:

Charles said:

Neil said:

No one really insightful thinks UKIP will get over 10% though.
    Or have you spotted someone?
    Talking about polls.

Personally I reckon they'll be 5-6% at the next GE. If they get up to 8% it's going to be a "terrrible night for the Conservatives" or whatever James-over-the-water used to post in a Canadian accent.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Talking about polls.

Personally I reckon they'll be 5-6% at the next GE. If they get up to 8% it's going to be a "terrrible night for the Conservatives" or whatever James-over-the-water used to post in a Canadian accent.

My comment was about the next GE, Charles.
  • Options
    Neil said:

Charles said:

Talking about polls.

My comment was about the next GE, Charles.
    Fair point.

My analysis still stands, even if the votes are in the lower end of the range (i.e. where it disproportionately hurts the Tories).

NOTA is probably the biggest threat to Labour at the next election. That and LibDem returners
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

The Conservatives lost plenty of seats to UKIP (often seats that Labour had won in 2005). But, there don't seem to have been all that many seats that were lost because the right-wing vote was split (probably because the Lib Dem vote also fell). Overall Conservative losses were at the lower end of expectations.

If UKIP can poll well in next year's local elections, which are held on the same day as the Euros, then I'd expect to see them gain from both Labour and Conservatives, as a lot more urban seats are contested..
    True but I'm baffled by how much the PB Tories obsess about UKIP's supposed failings while ignoring how weak the Conservative strategic position is.

While its very easy to see scenarios in which the Conservatives lose MPs and power I can't see a scenario in which things go well for the Conservatives.

Let us assume that the Conservatives do well in 2015, they hold off Labour and UKIP and gain a few seats from the LibDems finishing with 315 MPs.

What happens then ?

In a weak minority government, attacked by Labour, LibDems and UKIP, unable to blame everything anymore on Labour, having to deal with all the underlying problems they've merely postponed because they were too politically difficult.

Sounds like political hell to me and the sort of scenario which could lead to Conservative destruction in 2018-20.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    OT Farcical start to the Tour De France, Orica Green Edge (Australia) bus lodged under the finish, finish moved back then forward to original point.

Huge crash - Tony Martin out, Geraint Thomas injured, Peter Sagan and Contador hurt too. Utter farce.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    As we all know on PB there are lies, damned lies and tim's statistics.

Every day over the past few weeks tim has treated us to a fabulous farrago of fanciful falsity; an opulence of obliquity; a plethora of pretense; a hotchpotch of humbug; and a deranged disorder of deceit and distortion. All such perfidy collectively defined simply in our great dictionaries as "timfoolery".

For tim has been telling us that George Osborne has been spending more of our money each year than the twin Scottish incontinents Badger and Gord did in their years of folly and misrule.

tim might have equally claimed that Osborne has been spending more money than Healey did in the 1970s, or Attlee did in the 1940s or Boudica did in defeating the Roman XI Legio Hispana in the first century AD. For tim's claims take no account of the changing value of money over time.

Thankfully Grandiose came to the rescue and pointed me to the Public Expenditure Statistical Analyses Report (PESA) for 2012. In PESA 2012 is a chapter which deals with trends in public expenditure with comparative tables of both nominal and real term figures, together with GDP ratios. The real term figures fix spending each year, from 1971-1 to 2014-15 (forecast) at 2011-12 price levels (using ONS deflators published on 28 June 2012).

The PESA reports are published annually in July. The current figures do not take into account any changes to planned expenditure made since June 2012 and the 2012-13 figures are forecasts rather than outcomes. This probably means that the figures for 2012-2015 overstate actual and current planned expenditure. The recent ONS revisions to GDP are also not factored in to the figures meaning that the GDP ratios for 2005-2010 will be revised negatively in PESA 2013. I will update the table in this post in a few weeks when this year's report is released.

The following is a table using figures extracted from Table 4.1 "Public Expenditure Aggregates, 1971-2 to 2014-15". The figures extracted are those given for "Total Managed Expenditure" and are the highest aggregate for Public Sector Expenditure. All figures are consistent with the ONS National Accounts.
    Public Sector Aggregates: Total Managed Expenditure             
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    Year Nominal Change | Real Change | GDP Ratio Change
    £ bn % | £ bn % | % %
    Gordon Brown and Alistair Darling

2005-06 524.0 ˄ 6.42% | 605.5 ˄ 4.04% | 40.8 ˄ 0.74%
    2006-07 550.0 ˄ 4.96% | 619.0 ˄ 2.23% | 40.7 ˅ -0.25%
    2007-08 582.9 ˄ 5.98% | 640.0 ˄ 3.39% | 40.7 - 0.00%
    2008-09 629.7 ˄ 8.03% | 673.0 ˄ 5.16% | 44.3 ˄ 8.85%
    2009-10 670.2 ˄ 6.43% | 705.6 ˄ 4.84% | 47.3 ˄ 6.77%
    | |
    2005-10 ˄ 25.53% | ˄ 17.52% | ˄ 14.38%
    George Osborne

2010-11 689.6 ˄ 2.89% | 706.1 ˄ 0.07% | 46.6 ˅ -1.48%
    2011-12 694.9 ˄ 0.77% | 694.9 ˅ -1.59% | 45.5 ˅ -2.36%
    2012-13 683.4 ˅ -1.65% | 665.4 ˅ -4.25% | 43.4 ˅ -4.62%
    2013-14 720.0 ˄ 5.36% | 684.0 ˄ 2.80% | 43.6 ˄ 0.46%
    2014-15 733.5 ˄ 1.88% | 679.8 ˅ -0.61% | 42.2 ˅ -3.21%

2010-15 ˄ 8.63% | ˅ -3.80% | ˅ -12.09%
    The key points to make are that expenditure increases in nominal terms every year during the period, barring 2012-13 in which there is a small fall 0f -1.65%.

In real terms, however, there is a significant difference when performance under Labour is compared to that under the Coalition Government. Brown and Darling increased Total Managed Expenditure by 17.5% during the five years between 2005 and 2010. In the five subsequent years Osborne is forecast to have reduced spend by -3.8%.

On spending to GDP ratios, Brown-Darling hit a peak of 47.3% in 2009-10 the highest ratio for some 30 years. You have to go back to the very early 1980s and 1970s under Wilson, Callaghan and Healey in the 1974-6 period for higher ratios. During the last Brown Darling term, the Spend to GDP ratio deteriorated from 40.8% to 47.3%.

Under Osborne the GDP ratio has already fallen from the Darling high to 43.4% and is forecast to fall to 42.2% by the end of this parliament.

So now the light of truth shines strong. No more of this timfoolery.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Neil said:

That's true but the hate campaign the Cameroons and their cheerleaders are running against UKIP merely remind UKIP's former Labour supporters how much they dislike the Conservative party.

And guess what, they go back to voting Labour.

• Options

merely remind UKIP's former Labour supporters how much they dislike the Conservative party.

Depends how badly Ed fluffs it.

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2013/06/milibands-eu-referendum-dilemma/

http://conservativehome.blogs.com/thetorydiary/2013/06/the-referendum-bill-puts-pressure-on-ed-miliband-to-rise-above-dithering-tempered-by-opportunism.html
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

Every day over the past few weeks tim has treated us to a fabulous farrago of fanciful falsity; an opulence of obliquity; a plethora of pretense; a hotchpotch of humbug; and a deranged disorder of deceit and distortion. All such perfidy collectively defined simply in our great dictionaries as "timfoolery".

For tim has been telling us that George Osborne has been spending more of our money each year than the twin Scottish incontinents Badger and Gord did in their years of folly and misrule.

tim might have equally claimed that Osborne has been spending more money than Healey did in the 1970s, or Attlee did in the 1940s or Boudica did in defeating the Roman XI Legio Hispana in the first century AD. For tim's claims take no account of the changing value of money over time.

Thnakfully Grandiose came to the rescue and pointed me to the Public Expenditure Statistical Analyses Report (PESA) for 2012. In PESA 2012 is a chapter which deals with trends in public expenditure with comparative tables of both nominal and real term figures, together with GDP ratios. The real term figures fix spending each year, from 1971-1 to 2014-15 (forecast) at 2011-12 price levels (using ONS deflators published on 28 June 2012).

The PESA reports are published annually in July. The current figures do not take into account any changes to planned expenditure made since June 2012 and the 2012-13 figures are forecasts rather than outcomes. This probably means that the figures for 2012-2015 overstate actual and current planned expenditure. The recent ONS revisions to GDP are also not factored in to the figures meaning that the GDP ratios for 2005-2010 will be revised negatively in PESA 2013. I will update the table in this post in a few weeks when this year's report is released.

The following is a table using figures extracted from Table 4.1 "Public Expenditure Aggregates, 1971-2 to 2014-15". The figures extracted are those given for "Total Managed Expenditure" and are the highest aggregate for Public Sector Expenditure. All figures are consistent with the ONS National Accounts.

£ bn % | £ bn % | % %

| |
    George Osborne

The key points to make are that expenditure increases in nominal terms every year during the period, barring 2012-13 in which there is a small fall 0f -1.65%.

In real terms, however, there is a real difference in performance under Labour and that under the Coalition Government. Brown and Darling increased Total Managed Expenditure by 25.5% during the five years between 2005 and 2010. In the five subsequent years Osborne is forecast to have reduced spend by -3.8%.

On spending to GDP ratios, Brown-Darling hit a peak of 47.3% in 2009-10 the highest ratio for some 30 years. You have to go back to the very early 1980s and 1970s under Wilson, Callaghan and Healey in the 1974-6 period for higher ratios. During the last Brown Darling term, the Spend to GDP ratio deteriorated from 40.8% to 47.3%.

Under Osborne the GDP ratio has already fallen from the Darling high to 43.4% and is forecast to fall to 42.2% by the end of this parliament.

So now the light of truth shines strong. No more of this timfoolery.
    Are you practising for that stand up comic slot on Cleethorpes pier ?

Now if we want to talk about real world rather than real terms then people regard spending £9.90 instead of £10 previously as a cut but not spending £10.10 instead of £10 previously and then making explanations about inflation.

Osborne's got nobody to blame but himself for the consequences of his austerity machismo strutting of 2010.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Sean_F said:

Thankyou! So major progress, but still 'curse of the third party' - 6% of the seats on 20% of the votes. I expect someone will be along from UKIP shortly to explain why that does not matter.....

Edit - I see they already have.....

• Options

if we want to talk about real world rather than real terms then people regard spending £9.90 instead of £10 previously as a cut but not spending £10.10 instead of £10 previously and then making explanations about inflation.

Ed's got a real problem then. His whole "cost of living" schtick is based on exactly that argument.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    AveryLP said:

£ bn % | £ bn % | % %

| |
    George Osborne

Avery, thanks for pointing out that under Brown / Darling Debt / GDP ratios were only 40% until the world wide financial crisis hit us and like all other countries the ration went up because of emergency spending and tax receipts fall.

In fact, the ratio in 2007-08 was lower than 2005-06. It flies in the face of that much repeated PBTory lie of Labour's profligacy since 2002.

In fact, you will find that in 2008 and indeed until 2010, the UK debt / GDP ratio was lower than that of Germany, the much vaunted fiscally conservative country.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    @Avery

£ bn % | £ bn % | % %

| |
    George Osborne

--------------------------------------------------------------

If Tom's timfoolery boils down to saying that Osborne is spending more than his predecessors then the figures you've posted (which I've copied) seems to indicate he's right!

(But I enjoyed your Wheeltappers and Shunters post very much)
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Thankyou! So major progress, but still 'curse of the third party' - 6% of the seats on 20% of the votes. I expect someone will be along from UKIP shortly to explain why that does not matter.....

As I'm not from UKIP you've just made yourself look rather silly Carlotta.

But then you've already made yourself look rather silly with your obsessing about UKIP while ignoring the strategic weakness the Conservatives are in.

But keep on asking how many gains UKIP made each week if it keeps you happy.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

if we want to talk about real world rather than real terms then people regard spending £9.90 instead of £10 previously as a cut but not spending £10.10 instead of £10 previously and then making explanations about inflation.

Ed's got a real problem then. His whole "cost of living" schtick is based on exactly that argument.
    Ed's got a real problem because the people who will be voting for him think that austerity is something we've had and that it will be time to start increasing spending after 2015.

While at some point after 2015 we will have to have actual austerity rather than 'austerity'.
  • Options

Charles said:

Neil said:

That's true but the hate campaign the Cameroons and their cheerleaders are running against UKIP merely remind UKIP's former Labour supporters how much they dislike the Conservative party.

Haven't seen much evidence of that recently

cf. Luke 15:7
  • Options
    surbiton said:

AveryLP said:

£ bn % | £ bn % | % %

| |
    George Osborne

Avery, thanks for pointing out that under Brown / Darling Debt / GDP ratios were only 40% until the world wide financial crisis hit us and like all other countries the ration went up because of emergency spending and tax receipts fall.

In fact, the ratio in 2007-08 was lower than 2005-06. It flies in the face of that much repeated PBTory lie of Labour's profligacy since 2002.

In fact, you will find that in 2008 and indeed until 2010, the UK debt / GDP ratio was lower than that of Germany, the much vaunted fiscally conservative country.
    The issue wasn't the percentage of spending, per se, but the fact that they believed that the bubble was 'the new normal'. This built in a massive structural deficit - and then (which is really condemn-worth) they delayed dealing with it for political reasons.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

your obsessing about UKIP
    Not obsessed but curious.

What did you make of their enthusiasm for stay-in-EU, pro gay marriage & immigration, Boris Johnson?

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,168
    edited June 2013
    another richard - based on that table, the public spending/GDP ratio will have fallen by 5% in 2015, and only a 2% cut further would take it below the level of 2005/06 and indeed most of the Thatcher years. Why do we need to cut further than that? Most OECD nations spend about 40-50% of GDP, Germany, Italy, Spain, New Zealand etc and even Brazil spends at that rate. While the likes of France clearly need to cut further as they now still spend more than 50% of GDP even the US spends around 38-39% of GDP at present, cuts significantly below 40% seem to me to be ideological rather than practical necessity!
  • Options
    tim said:

So PB Tories, why is Osborne spending more as a % of GDP than Browns "reckless" 2007 levels every year?

Because 2007 GDP was a 'bubble' as we found out with Labour's -7.3% recession, at a guess?

• Options
    Charles said:

Con, 34.38, Lab, 21.19, UKIP, 19.90, LD, 13.86, Green, 3.54

Con 44%, LD 25%, Lab 13%, UKIP 5% in 2009.

Charles, you are right. Labour "only" gained 7 points whereas the Tories gor right royally f*cked !

• Options
    @HYUFD

I have no problem with public spending over 40% of GDP but you need to have tax take in a similar range too.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,010
    Betting Post

Backed the Mercedes drivers to win tomorrow. Just a feeling:
    http://enormo-haddock.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/great-britain-pre-race.html
  • Options
    tim said:

tim said:

So PB Tories, why is Osborne spending more as a % of GDP than Browns "reckless" 2007 levels every year?

Because 2007 GDP was a 'bubble' as we found out with Labour's -7.3% recession, at a guess?

Fail.
    Glad you are joining Ed Balls among the deficit deniers.

I also note your choice of 'Brown as Chancellor' - under Labour governments, spending peaked at 47.3% in 9/10 - its been lower every year since. But do go into 2015 defending Labour's economic record - as I pointed out earlier today, Labour have made zero headway in the past 12 months on 'plan B'.

• Options
    F1: I think I must've accidentally kicked an F1 fairy before the season started. Benson's jsut tweeted that Di Resta's car was 1.5kg underweight so he'll probably have a penalty.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

AveryLP said:

£ bn % | £ bn % | % %

| |
    George Osborne

What were the equivalent household debt figures ?

The ONS gives government debt as:

1975 52.0%
    1976 53.8%
    1977 52.3%
    1978 49.1%
    1979 47.2%
    1980 44.0%
    1981 46.1%
    1982 46.1%
    1983 44.8%
    1984 45.1%
    1985 45.1%
    1986 43.2%
    1987 40.9%
    1988 36.6%
    1989 30.4%
    1990 27.5%
    1991 26.0%
    1992 27.2%
    1993 31.4%
    1994 36.5%
    1995 40.1%
    1996 41.9%
    1997 42.1%
    1998 41.2%
    1999 39.1%
    2000 36.2%
    2001 31.4%
    2002 30.7%
    2003 31.8%
    2004 33.3%
    2005 34.7%
    2006 35.9%
    2007 36.5%
    2008 37.2%
    2009 45.1%
    2010 57.1%
    2011 66.8%
    2012 72.0%
    2013 75.1%

Given that government debt is a lagging indicator to the general economy that does give support to my belief that 2000 was the all time peak of the UK economy.

After that we needed increasing amounts of debt, firstly household then government, to keep up the pretences and to fund our consumption addiction.

If you wish to disregard the effects of the bank crash then you also need to disregard the effects of the hundreds of billions those banks pumped into the economy between 2000 and 2008. Without those the weaknesses of the UK economy would have been apparant a decade ago and Labour would not have been reelected in 2005.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

What did you make of their enthusiasm for stay-in-EU, pro gay marriage & immigration, Boris Johnson?

UKIP voters are angry with the political class.

They like Boris because he's a non-political politician who looks different and because the London alternatives are seriously not ot their liking.

Whether they would vote for him if he was Conservative leader I have serious doubts about.

• Options

Sean_F said:

Whether they would vote for him if he was Conservative leader I have serious doubts about.
    As do I. It will be interesting to see how they do in 2014 - and what effect the likely 'Vote Nigel, get Ed' campaign does....

• Options
    tim said:

tim said:

tim said:

Fail.
    Glad you are joining Ed Balls among the deficit deniers.

I also note your choice of 'Brown as Chancellor' - under Labour governments, spending peaked at 47.3% in 9/10 - its been lower every year since. But do go into 2015 defending Labour's economic record - as I pointed out earlier today, Labour have made zero headway in the past 12 months on 'plan B'.

So you happily accept that Osborne plans to spend more than Labour did every year before the crash.
    What would you cut?

• Options
    Neil, well we do, the top rate is 45% and the average rate is about 38%!
  • Options
    Di Resta *could* be put at the back of the grid for his car being underweight. It seems the likeliest outcome. Great shame for him and the team, but it is a schoolboy error.
  • Options

What would you cut?

tim is very open about his preference for much deeper cuts to benefits for the disabled and such like. I cant see any party (certainly not Labour) adopting his rightwing agenda though.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369
    surbiton said:

Charles said:

Con, 34.38, Lab, 21.19, UKIP, 19.90, LD, 13.86, Green, 3.54

Con 44%, LD 25%, Lab 13%, UKIP 5% in 2009.

Charles, you are right. Labour "only" gained 7 points whereas the Tories gor right royally f*cked !

An 8.5% swing, in fact - pretty much in line with the polls, though the different years involved make comparisons difficult.
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323
    "So you happily accept that Osborne plans to spend more than Labour did every year before the crash."

In real terms, TME has gone down. I don't understand the point of using nominal spending.
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523

Charles said:

Neil said:

I'm not sure that's true. I think the Tories attacking UKIP give UKIP publicity. If there's any meat to the poll slump (other than less publicity e.g. no by-elections) then i think it's because when the Tories are talking about immigration and the EU it reminds labour-ukip waverers of the reasons they dislike Labour e.g. immigration, PC etc so they trend to ukip. When the Tories are talking about stuff that doesn't remind those people of the reasons why they are labour-ukip waverers they trend back. Talking about those subjects doesn't help the Tories because no-one believes them but it helps UKIP in a suicide-dogwhistling way.

So the million dollar question is does helping UKIP help them relatively speaking or not - and if so what is the sweet spot in terms of harming Labour more than themselves?
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    Twitter
    Patrick Hennessy ‏@PatJHennessy 1m
    How popular is Osborne's welfare crackdown? Find out in SunTel/@ICMResearch Wisdom Index poll later
  • Options
    tim said:

Neil said:

What would you cut?

tim is very open about his preference for much deeper cuts to benefits for the disabled and such like. I cant see any party (certainly not Labour) adopting his rightwing agenda though.

No, it's too late for that.
    I always said that in 2010-2012 there should have been a total freeze on benefits and pay while the kitchen sink was thrown at housebuilding and infrastructure spending, but that moment has passed now.
    The situation is far worse with borrowing costs and interest rates now showing signs of heading upwards.

We should be looking to halve housing benefit over a parliament by building houses and shift the burden of low pay from the state to employers incrementally every year.
    Supply and demand. Building houses won't reduce housing benefit unless immigration is stopped.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

another richard - based on that table, the public spending/GDP ratio will have fallen by 5% in 2015, and only a 2% cut further would take it below the level of 2005/06 and indeed most of the Thatcher years. Why do we need to cut further than that? Most OECD nations spend about 40-50% of GDP, Germany, Italy, Spain, New Zealand etc and even Brazil spends at that rate. While the likes of France clearly need to cut further as they now still spend more than 50% of GDP even the US spends around 38-39% of GDP at present, cuts significantly below 40% seem to me to be ideological rather than practical necessity!

The problem isn't the level of government spending, its what its spent on, whether its spent effectively and how that spending is funded.

We have too much consumption spending funded by borrowing. Whether this borrowing funded consumption is made directly by individuals or via government borrowing and spending is largely irrelevant.

And I see no evidence that Osborne thinks there's anything wrong with this debt funded consumption.

The contrary in fact, debt funded consumption keeps voters happy.

But at some point it must come to a stop.
  • Options
  • Options
    tim said:

MrJones said:

tim said:

Neil said:

What would you cut?

I always said that in 2010-2012 there should have been a total freeze on benefits and pay while the kitchen sink was thrown at housebuilding and infrastructure spending, but that moment has passed now.
    The situation is far worse with borrowing costs and interest rates now showing signs of heading upwards.

We should be looking to halve housing benefit over a parliament by building houses and shift the burden of low pay from the state to employers incrementally every year.
    Supply and demand. Building houses won't reduce housing benefit unless immigration is stopped.
    you go on about immigration if you like
    Err....him & the British Public....

.....'Immigration' (or to be precise, 'net migration') was the single biggest factor identified as the cause of the housing shortage in the YouGov housing poll.....Similarly, 'reducing net migration' was the single biggest factor in helping fix the issue....

I'm not particularly happy with that either.....but there it is!

http://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/spvk3deces/YouGov-Survey-results-housing-130620.pdf
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    tim said:

tim said:

MrJones said:

tim said:

Neil said:

What would you cut?

.....'Immigration' (or to be precise, 'net migration') was the single biggest factor identified as the cause of the housing shortage in the YouGov housing poll.....Similarly, 'reducing net migration' was the single biggest factor in helping fix the issue....

http://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/spvk3deces/YouGov-Survey-results-housing-130620.pdf
    I realise over 50% of Tories and 70% of Kippers like to blame immigration for everything, I'm sure in the BNP it's 100%.
    And a third of Labour voters - but carry on ignoring it - that's worked so well, hasn't it?

Edit - and its the joint second issue (within MOE) among Labour voters for fixing it too
  • Options
    Twitter
    David Cameron ‏@David_Cameron 6h
    I've just arrived in Afghanistan - where on this Armed Forces Day I'll be thanking our troops for all they do to keep us safe

David Cameron ‏@David_Cameron 2h
    It's been a privilege talking to the men and women serving Britain in Helmand on Armed Forces Day pic.twitter.com/xEEufyLwzD
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    Pulpstar said:

OT Farcical start to the Tour De France

Typical. The most important bike lane in the world, and there was still a bus parked in it

• Options
    o/t Latest poll in Ireland:

FG - 28% (+2)
    FF - 22% (-4)
    SF - 17% (+1)
    Lab - 12% (+1)

• Options
    tim said:

tim said:

MrJones said:

tim said:

Neil said:

What would you cut?

I realise over 50% of Tories and 70% of Kippers like to blame immigration for everything, I'm sure in the BNP it's 100%.
    It's simple logic. Number of houses. Number of households.

Increasing the number of houses won't reduce rents and therefore housing benefit unless they're increasing faster than the increase in the number of households.

Pretending otherwise is just nonsense.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    surbiton said:

AveryLP said:

£ bn % | £ bn % | % %

| |
    George Osborne

Surby

You are all at sea.

The history of Labour's fiscal incontinence varies across the thirteen years between 1997 and 2010.

In the first term, Blair managed to keep Mrs Rochester firmly locked up in the attic of No 10 (they swapped flats precisely so that Mrs R. didn't have access to the keys). So inheriting a strong economy from Major and Clarke, with oil and gas production at their peak and promises to keep to the Tory spending plans kept, Labour turned in a decent performance.

The problems started in 2001, when a young admirer of Mrs R, one Ed Balls. Esq. of Nottingham, managed to pick the locks of the attic and released his beloved onto the world.

And when the electorate allowed Balls and Mrs R full reign in 2005, the lunacy really took off. Blair was murdered and both No 10 and 11 were turned into a veritable asylum.

It is all detailed in the table below (see earlier post for the Cuckoo's Nest years):
    £ bn % | £ bn % | % %
    Mrs Rochester constrained

1997-98 322.0 ˄ 1.96% | 437.0 ˅ -0.05% | 38.0 ˅ -3.80%
    1998-99 330.9 ˄ 2.76% | 439.9 ˄ 0.66% | 37.0 ˅ -2.63%
    1999-00 342.9 ˄ 3.63% | 447.9 ˄ 1.82% | 36.3 ˅ -1.89%
    2000-01 341.5 ˄ -0.41% | 443.7 ˅ -0.94% | 34.6 ˅ -4.68%
    | |
    1997-2001 ˄ 7.53% | ˄ 1.46% | ˅ -14.16%
    Mrs Rochester released from attic

2001-02 389.2 ˄ 13.97% | 496.1 ˄ 11.81% | 37.8 ˄ 9.25%
    2002-03 421.2 ˄ 8.22% | 523.8 ˄ 5.58% | 38.8 ˄ 2.65%
    2003-04 455.5 ˄ 8.14% | 554.2 ˄ 5.80% | 39.5 ˄ 1.80%
    2004-05 492.4 ˄ 8.10% | 582.0 ˄ 5.02% | 40.5 ˄ 2.53%

2002-05 ˄ 30.65% | ˄ 23.76% | ˄ 14.57%
    It is not Jane Austen we need to put on our banknotes but Charlotte Brontë.
  • Options
    tim said:

MrJones said:

tim said:

tim said:

MrJones said:

tim said:

Neil said:

What would you cut?

It's simple logic. Number of houses. Number of households.

Increasing the number of houses won't reduce rents and therefore housing benefit unless they're increasing faster than the increase in the number of households.

Pretending otherwise is just nonsense.
    Clearly.
    So what do you want to do, introduce euthanasia for those living longer or stop people coming in to work and pay for their upkeep.
    Let me guess.
    "Clearly."

Progress.
  • Options
    @AveryLP How soon we forget. It was Emily Brontë who created the character of Heathcliff.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

@AveryLP How soon we forget. It was Emily Brontë who created the character of Heathcliff.

I thought it was Kate Bush, OBE!

• Options
    Keep running up that hill, Avery ;)

(I still havent forgiven you for your cruel, cruel attack on me during the week!)
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,459
    Hopefully "ConRes" on the DataWrapper bar chart wasn't a deliberate error :)
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

surbiton said:

AveryLP said:

£ bn % | £ bn % | % %

| |
    George Osborne

Surby

You are all at sea.

The history of Labour's fiscal incontinence varies across the thirteen years between 1997 and 2010.

In the first term, Blair managed to keep Mrs Rochester firmly locked up in the attic of No 10 (they swapped flats precisely so that Mrs R. didn't have access to the keys). So inheriting a strong economy from Major and Clarke, with oil and gas production at their peak and promises to keep to the Tory spending plans kept, Labour turned in a decent performance.

The problems started in 2001, when a young admirer of Mrs R, one Ed Balls. Esq. of Nottingham, managed to pick the locks of the attic and released his beloved onto the world.

And when the electorate allowed Balls and Mrs R full reign in 2005, the lunacy really took off. Blair was murdered and both No 10 and 11 were turned into a veritable asylum.

It is all detailed in the table below (see earlier post for the Cuckoo's Nest years):
    £ bn % | £ bn % | % %
    Mrs Rochester constrained

1997-98 322.0 ˄ 1.96% | 437.0 ˅ -0.05% | 38.0 ˅ -3.80%
    1998-99 330.9 ˄ 2.76% | 439.9 ˄ 0.66% | 37.0 ˅ -2.63%
    1999-00 342.9 ˄ 3.63% | 447.9 ˄ 1.82% | 36.3 ˅ -1.89%
    2000-01 341.5 ˄ -0.41% | 443.7 ˅ -0.94% | 34.6 ˅ -4.68%
    | |
    1997-2001 ˄ 7.53% | ˄ 1.46% | ˅ -14.16%
    Mrs Rochester released from attic

2001-02 389.2 ˄ 13.97% | 496.1 ˄ 11.81% | 37.8 ˄ 9.25%
    2002-03 421.2 ˄ 8.22% | 523.8 ˄ 5.58% | 38.8 ˄ 2.65%
    2003-04 455.5 ˄ 8.14% | 554.2 ˄ 5.80% | 39.5 ˄ 1.80%
    2004-05 492.4 ˄ 8.10% | 582.0 ˄ 5.02% | 40.5 ˄ 2.53%

2002-05 ˄ 30.65% | ˄ 23.76% | ˄ 14.57%
    It is not Jane Austen we need to put on our banknotes but Charlotte Brontë.
    Debt/GDP ratio was still at 40.5% after all that ! Wouldn't Gideon like to have that ? In fact, Gideon would like Ed to accept a figure higher than that. I can't see why Ed should not oblige.
  • Options
    david_kendrick1david_kendrick1 Posts: 325
    edited June 2013
    Tim, the main reason for wanting to control immigration is because there is a chronic shortage of housing. We could solve that problem in one of two ways: dramatically increasing the number of houses built, by making our villages bigger, our towns bigger, or our cities bigger (or some combination). Most effectively, that would be done by weakening the Green Belt, and reducing planning controls.

Or we could try to control nett immigration.

From a purely economic POV, it is close, because immigrants contribute significantly more to the economy that they take out.

But from a social POV, for many of us, the answer is clear-cut.

We do not want see these extra houses in our backyard. And we don't want see these new houses in anybody else's backyard either. We have but one rational choice on the ballot paper: UKIP.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Another Richard - I would agree with that and certainly would not cut the top rate any lower than 45% at the moment (which is still the same level as Germany, Australia and China). The big mistake Osborne made was to ring-fence huge departments like health and education, where non-frontline cuts could safely have been made, and also overseas aid. He should certainly not promise to ring-fence them after the election. Ringfencing those areas was also unfair on areas like defence, justice and the Home Office, local government, social security, the FO, culture, business and trade etc which all have seen significant pain while the ringfenced areas got off virtually scott free!
  • Options

surbiton said:

AveryLP said:

£ bn % | £ bn % | % %

| |
    George Osborne

What were the equivalent household debt figures ?

The ONS gives government debt as:

1975 52.0%
    1976 53.8%
    1977 52.3%
    1978 49.1%
    1979 47.2%
    1980 44.0%
    1981 46.1%
    1982 46.1%
    1983 44.8%
    1984 45.1%
    1985 45.1%
    1986 43.2%
    1987 40.9%
    1988 36.6%
    1989 30.4%
    1990 27.5%
    1991 26.0%
    1992 27.2%
    1993 31.4%
    1994 36.5%
    1995 40.1%
    1996 41.9%
    1997 42.1%
    1998 41.2%
    1999 39.1%
    2000 36.2%
    2001 31.4%
    2002 30.7%
    2003 31.8%
    2004 33.3%
    2005 34.7%
    2006 35.9%
    2007 36.5%
    2008 37.2%
    2009 45.1%
    2010 57.1%
    2011 66.8%
    2012 72.0%
    2013 75.1%

Given that government debt is a lagging indicator to the general economy that does give support to my belief that 2000 was the all time peak of the UK economy.

After that we needed increasing amounts of debt, firstly household then government, to keep up the pretences and to fund our consumption addiction.

If you wish to disregard the effects of the bank crash then you also need to disregard the effects of the hundreds of billions those banks pumped into the economy between 2000 and 2008. Without those the weaknesses of the UK economy would have been apparant a decade ago and Labour would not have been reelected in 2005.
    ar

From 2008 to date the Public Sector Net Debt figures diverged into two streams: the first excluding "financial interventions" and the second aggregrating all net debt.

You need to show this to see the real picture:
    2008 37.2%   43.7%
    2009 45.1% 151.0%
    2010 57.1% 153.6%
    2011 66.8% 149.2%
    2012 72.0% 141.2%
    2013 75.1% 140.0%
    2000 probably was the peak (at least for some time) for the UK economy. It was midway between the North Sea Oil and Gas production peaks which guaranteed a healthy GDP figure, a massive positive contribution to the balance of trade figures and significant government tax revenues.

However it also allowed complacency to set in. Manufacturing was allowed to decline and Gordon decided to throw prudence off the rigs and ramp borrowing up in a time of plenty.

The really unforgivable government was the second Labour term, between 2001-2005(-7). Surbiton has some justification in saying that 2005-2010 required extra borrowing to combat the financial crisis, but this doesn't apply to 2001-2005 when much wealth and competitive advantage was squandered.
  • Options
    tim said:

@DavidKendrick

We do not want see these extra houses in our backyard. And we don't want see these new houses in anybody else's backyard either. We have but one rational choice on the ballot paper: UKIP.

How can you tell the difference between a house built near you due to a British person living longer and and one due to an immigrant who has come here to work, do they have different coloured front doors or do you just oppose all of them anyway?

The govt only has a limited effect. There are only a few things they can do. They can't control demographic changes, such as more single person house-holds, or greater longevity.

They ought to be able to control immigration, although being in the EU....

The govt should influence what they can, and not worry about what they cannot control.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    "We do not want see these extra houses in our backyard. And we don't want see these new houses in anybody else's backyard either. "

@DavidKendrick I just don't get that attitude. I live on the outskirts of a lovely wee village, and we have just had our utilities here improved in preparation for a new housing development. To me this is good news, and its going to help support our village school and local shops etc which is essential to the fabric of the village and benefits everyone.

Edit - Not suggesting whole sale building anywhere without rules here. But we do have to compromise here, and also realise that changes to our villages, towns and cities is inevitable as more housing is going to be needed for the future. I just don't see how turning your face away to any changes as being a viable option?
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    This is sure to raise the blood pressure of Eurosceptics:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-23099379

And of course Croatia joins the EU on Monday.
This discussion has been closed.