Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

Comments

• Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    edited May 2016

Indigo said:

I quite like Trump but if Cameron thinks he's stupid he should stand by it.

Let's hope this is the beginning of a trend where faux outrage and looking to be insulted on behalf of others dies out.

I think Cameron is divisive, I don't think he's stupid, I'm not going to apologise.

Wasn't it that Cameron said that Trump's *policy* re muslims enterin the country was stupid, divisive and wrong? Which it is. He might have worded it clumsily but it's obvious that was the meaning.
    Even that is playing with fire, better to say nothing and let your outriders take any pot shots that seem appropriate, so that you can disown the comment if it becomes an embarrassment. With thousands of returning ISIS fighters we have an unknown future as far as islamic terrorism in the UK.
    Cameron is right to stand up for the right of law-abiding British muslims to enjoy the same immigration rights as any other British citizen. We should not collude in other countries' racist policies.
    That is what the foreign secretary is for.

Besides its bollox, if Trump wins, the UK will be the first in the queue to stay friends and keep the "special relationship" irrespective of the policies.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

Hysterical.

A few weeks ago some were saying Dave is Obama's poodle etc.

Now Dave stands up to a potential POTUS, he's an idiot, un-First Lord of the Treasury.

The logic chopping of Leavers is awesome.

Now wish me luck, I have to knock up some voters

You'll never make it past the first ambush.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    edited May 2016
    Are all those Antisemitic MPs and Councillors who have been suspended from the Labour Party allowed to take part in a vote..?
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865

The Daily Telegraph :

"David Cameron has 'no intention' of apologising to Donald Trump for calling him stupid"

Yet another sign that Dave isn't intending to stick around as Prime Minister for very much longer?
    You simply can't say things like that about a potential incoming US President, even if you think them.

What's happened to him? Until this EU ref business kicked off, he was the model of good manners except at PMQs. Now he's being unprofessionally rude, boorish and childish. I'm embarrassed at him insulting a potential future POTUS.
    On the contrary, I (and others I suspect) have gained respect for Cameron for refusing to pretend he now likes a divisive demagogue just because he's a presidential candidate.

Anyway, the Leave campaign have assured us that it doesn't matter what the US president thinks of us :smile:
    Should I infer that those complaining about Cameron's criticism of Trump agree that Muslims should be barred from The USA?

If so, how, exactly would you enforce it?
    Oh that's Quite easy

On the landing card they have just add an additional tick box " are you Muslim" directly under the tick box they already have that asks if you are a terrorist or intent on committing armed insurrection within the United States

:smile:
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

Scottish Independence poll:
    Yes (pro-Indy): 41% (-)
    No (pro-UK): 48% (-1)
    (via YouGov / 02 - 04 May)

How does that translate if Don't Knows are excluded?

For @malcolmg it translates as :

"Go back to your Ayrshire constituency and prepare for (UK) government"
  • Options
    edited May 2016

Yawn. It has nothing to do with leaving, but I don't expect that to stop your line in cheap ad hominem attacks.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    edited May 2016
    Whomever wins the Mayoralty, they'll never be a patch on Boris for entertainment value. Great picture gallery.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/04/farewell-boris-johnson-the-mayor-of-londons-finest-moments-on-ca
  • Options

Hysterical.

Sheffield baby boom in Feb 2017 ....

• Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    Voted just after 7.30, the thirteenth voter of the morning at my polling station. And not one person went in during the 10 minute chat I had with a friendly (Labour) teller after voting.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    edited May 2016
    MikeK said:

Hysterical.

Now Dave stands up to a potential POTUS, he's an idiot, un-First Lord of the Treasury.

You'll never make it past the first ambush.
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

The Daily Telegraph :

"David Cameron has 'no intention' of apologising to Donald Trump for calling him stupid"

Yet another sign that Dave isn't intending to stick around as Prime Minister for very much longer?
    You simply can't say things like that about a potential incoming US President, even if you think them.

What's happened to him? Until this EU ref business kicked off, he was the model of good manners except at PMQs. Now he's being unprofessionally rude, boorish and childish. I'm embarrassed at him insulting a potential future POTUS.
    On the contrary, I (and others I suspect) have gained respect for Cameron for refusing to pretend he now likes a divisive demagogue just because he's a presidential candidate.

Anyway, the Leave campaign have assured us that it doesn't matter what the US president thinks of us :smile:
    Should I infer that those complaining about Cameron's criticism of Trump agree that Muslims should be barred from The USA?

Oh that's Quite easy

On the landing card they have just add an additional tick box " are you Muslim" directly under the tick box they already have that asks if you are a terrorist or intent on committing armed insurrection within the United States

Do they still ask if you're a Nazi war criminal?
  • Options
    MikeK said:

My take on this super exciting Election.

1. Leaflets delivered through my letter box: None.
    2. Posters seen down my street: None.
    3. large posters seen in my area: None.

More nuns than some convents ....

• Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492

Indigo said:

I quite like Trump but if Cameron thinks he's stupid he should stand by it.

Let's hope this is the beginning of a trend where faux outrage and looking to be insulted on behalf of others dies out.

I think Cameron is divisive, I don't think he's stupid, I'm not going to apologise.

Wasn't it that Cameron said that Trump's *policy* re muslims enterin the country was stupid, divisive and wrong? Which it is. He might have worded it clumsily but it's obvious that was the meaning.
    Even that is playing with fire, better to say nothing and let your outriders take any pot shots that seem appropriate, so that you can disown the comment if it becomes an embarrassment. With thousands of returning ISIS fighters we have an unknown future as far as islamic terrorism in the UK.
    Cameron is right to stand up for the right of law-abiding British muslims to enjoy the same immigration rights as any other British citizen. We should not collude in other countries' racist policies.
    You see this is where Cameron is divisive, he calls Trump stupid but his own immigration policy is equally prejudiced.

In fact I may take back what I said about him not being stupid.
  • Options
    Moses..We have several..mainly plucking drowning refugees out of the med..
  • Options
    This is a new angle - Labour council leaders across England are planning a rebellion against Jeremy Corbyn tomorrow if the party does badly in today’s elections. http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/councils-leaders-plot-post-poll-revolt-against-corbyn-ss8sg2dm6
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,783
    Moses_ said:

The Daily Telegraph :

Oh that's Quite easy

That'll be just as effective then....
  • Options
    In the end I decided my first preference (from a list of the uninspiring and irrelevant) primarily on the basis of what message it would send - I certainly, for instance, didn't want my final choice tarnished by a transfer from Britain First.

So I voted for Cannabis Is Safer Than Alcohol.

Because you'd have to be on drugs to actually want one of these two nonentites to be Mayor.
  • Options
    Innocent_AbroadInnocent_Abroad Posts: 3,294

Funny Mayoral round-up:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/may/05/from-pints-to-propaganda-its-the-london-mayoral-election-awards

Oh, and spare a thought for me today - two extractions and five implants all in one session. Exciting!

Best of luck, Nick. Hope your dentist is fairly young - their training's far better now than it used to be.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    BB63 Cameron is quite rightly taking refugees from where they are in most danger..the Syrian refugee camps...nothing divisive or stupid about that
  • Options

BB63 Cameron is quite rightly taking refugees from where they are in most danger..he Syrian refugee camps...nothing divisive or stupid about that

Two people arrive at Dover, one from Romania the other from Pakistan, one is allowed in the other isn't.

He has no right to criticise other people's immigration policy when his own is so prejudiced.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,097

Voted just after 7.30, the thirteenth voter of the morning at my polling station. And not one person went in during the 10 minute chat I had with a friendly (Labour) teller after voting.

Local elections normally about 30% turnout, Mayoral and devolved parliament elections 40% so more than half the voters will stay home today, including at least a third of those who voted in the general election. The PCC elections though should see turnout up on last time being held on the same day as the council polls, last time it was 11% in cold November
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,997
    Good morning, everyone.
  • Options

Whomever wins the Mayoralty, they'll never be a patch on Boris for entertainment value. Great picture gallery.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/04/farewell-boris-johnson-the-mayor-of-londons-finest-moments-on-ca

Brilliant. Many thanks, Plato. Which is your favourite? (I can't decide which is mine...)
  • Options
    bb63..Why would there be a refugee from Romania ..they have been in the EU since 2007
  • Options

In the end I decided my first preference (from a list of the uninspiring and irrelevant) primarily on the basis of what message it would send - I certainly, for instance, didn't want my final choice tarnished by a transfer from Britain First.

So I voted for Cannabis Is Safer Than Alcohol.

Because you'd have to be on drugs to actually want one of these two nonentites to be Mayor.

:smiley:
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,723
    UKIP "on the brink of disintegration in Scotland" - UKIP candidate
    http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/ukip-scotland-alan-melville_uk_57276d3fe4b0a1e971cb9dd1
  • Options

bb63..Why would there be a refugee from Romania ..they have been in the EU since 2007

I never mentioned refugees.

Cameron's immigration policy is prejudiced against non EU people, he doesn't want to let them in, unlike EU people who he waves through customs, no questions asked.

Its prejudice.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

My take on this super exciting Election.

1. Leaflets delivered through my letter box: None.
    2. Posters seen down my street: None.
    3. large posters seen in my area: None.

....and that's it Ladies and Gentlemen. Like a New Day newspaper, posters, leaflets are all being quietly junked,at least for this election.

........But I haven't seen a leaflet or a poster for the EuroRef either. ;)

Have had 3 leaflets for today's election and seen 3 posters, 2 LD and one Tory. Had 2 leaflets for EU ref too. Perhaps you live in a safe ward?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,277
    Morning all,

I see New Day newspaper to close after two months. What a bizarre experiment that has been.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    bb63 The Romanian could just buy a ticket and get the ferry.. The Pakistani would have to go through a very different process..if you think that is prejudice then it is what happens in most countries in the world..
  • Options

bb63 The Romanian could just buy a ticket and get the ferry.. The Pakistani would have to go through a very different process..

I know, its prejudiced.

I'm really not sure of your point.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,131

Brilliant. Many thanks, Plato. Which is your favourite? (I can't decide which is mine...)
    I quite like 5 - getting kitted out for canvassing in Peckham....
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,898
    Cameron doesn't need to apologise to Trump, he just needs not to repeat the insulting tone now trump is going to be the nominee. Apologising just makes him seem weak, draws attention to the insult. Provably shouldn't have done in the first place, but having done so just move on, he should not repeat such rudeness, but the can deflect if so done tries. And trump is probably unlikely to care - his stock in trade is insults, he probably understands why it was made.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

Morning all,

I see New Day newspaper to close after two months. What a bizarre experiment that has been.

A noble experiment, one might say.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    edited May 2016

The Daily Telegraph :

Pressure - he promised this referendum when REMAIN were 20 points up in the polls - now it is somewhere between -1 and 7 and he had to rush it a bit to beat the trend. Events, dear boy, events.
  • Options
    LayneLayne Posts: 163

Hysterical.

Perhaps he is standing up to Trump because Obama is telling him to!
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Cameron doesn't need to apologise to Trump, he just needs not to repeat the insulting tone now trump is going to be the nominee. Apologising just makes him seem weak, draws attention to the insult. Provably shouldn't have done in the first place, but having done so just move on, he should not repeat such rudeness, but the can deflect if so done tries. And trump is probably unlikely to care - his stock in trade is insults, he probably understands why it was made.

The only UK leader who I can see getting on with Trump is Nigel Farage
  • Options
    bb63 So you think anyone from anywhere should just roll up to Calais, get on the ferry ..no checks..no questions asked..no passports stamped..no visas.. yeah that should work..
  • Options
    PCC elections are a disgrace. The only thing easy to find is the names of candidates. I found vague platitudes from each of them in the local press, literally one sentence long. So the only info out there on the role comes from the official office of the PCC, with no challenge or claim another could go better.

Therefore even if people wanted otherwise, it can only be decided on a party political basis. Terrible.

I did have literature from the incumbent. It says I should vote for him as he's the only candidate with experience as a PCC. Compelling.
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

The Daily Telegraph :

Pressure - he promised this referendum when REMAIN were 20 points up in the polls - now it is somewhere between -1 and 7 and he had to rush it a bit to beat the trend. Events, dear boy, events.
    Remain were only that high after the deal for about a day before it was much closer
  • Options

Ha! I like fireman one - or falling in the river. That's a great video.
  • Options
    Banning all Muslims from the U.S. is a stupid policy, given the huge administrative cost, but it is not racist. Islam is a voluntary belief system. It is the equivalent of banning communists, which I believe the U.S. already does.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Local elections normally about 30% turnout, Mayoral and devolved parliament elections 40% so more than half the voters will stay home today, including at least a third of those who voted in the general election. The PCC elections though should see turnout up on last time being held on the same day as the council polls, last time it was 11% in cold November
    Mayor was 38% last time, I believe. And that was with Boris and Livingstone who are both characters.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

PCC elections are a disgrace. The only thing easy to find is the names of candidates. I found vague platitudes from each of them in the local press, literally one sentence long. So the only info out there on the role comes from the official office of the PCC, with no challenge or claim another could go better.

Therefore even if people wanted otherwise, it can only be decided on a party political basis. Terrible.

I did have literature from the incumbent. It says I should vote for him as he's the only candidate with experience as a PCC. Compelling.

Given they got an £80 000 a year job a on a 11% turnout last time, so needed just 6% to win, you can see why they put in little effort
  • Options

I used to work there. It's alright in daylight, & I believe Nunhead's Sarf Lunnon's answer to Stoke Newington :o

• Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

PCC elections - you find out who is standing and each of their statements here:

https://www.choosemypcc.org.uk/

• Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,848
    edited May 2016

Hysterical.

I don't mind Cameron saying Trump is an idiot, etc... But I would point out a couple of points:

1. Trump has actually run a business, earned billions of dollars in revenue and employed thousands of people... To my knowledge Cameron is more or less a career politician with no experience of running anything, employing anybody etc...

2. If you seriously think that in the unlikely event of Donald Trump becoming POTUS Cameron wouldn't on his hands and knees grovelling for whatever crumbs Trump might throw at him, your deluded. Cameron made his comments when he thought there was no chance of Trump becoming POTUS.

He still thinks Hillary Clinton will beat Trump and become POTUS but should Hilary fall short, the back-peddling by Cameron (assuming he hasn't been turfed out of office by then) will be something to behold.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,277
    Feeling a bit left out today, we only have PCC election in my part of East Midlands. No leaflets from candidates. Do they get a free-post for this role?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Mayor was 38% last time, I believe. And that was with Boris and Livingstone who are both characters.
    Indeed it will be all about getting out supporters with an even lower turnout likely today
  • Options
    I'm actually more interested in these non entities of by-election Than my only election of the PCC. If I write 'I'm only voting as u think it a civic duty, but party politics should not determine pccs' on the ballot would any votes still be valid. Should be right?

I know noone will care what I right, but I feel the urge to do so, or else spoil the ballot.
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    GIN1138 said:

Hysterical.

I don't mind Cameron saying Trump is an idiot, etc... But I would point out a couple of points:

1. Trump has actually run a business, earned billions of dollars in revenue and employed thousands of people... To my knowledge Cameron is more or less a career politician with no experience of running anything, employing anybody etc...

2. If you seriously think that in the unlikely event of Donald Trump becoming POTUS Cameron wouldn't on his hands and knees grovelling for whatever crumbs Trump might throw at him, your deluded. Cameron made his comments when he thought there was no chance of Trump becoming POTUS.

He still thinks Hillary Clinton will beat Trump and become POTUS but should Hilary fall short, the back-peddling by Cameron (assuming he hasn't been turfed out of office by then) will be something to behold.
    He will have moved on by then
  • Options
    F1: breaking, Kvyat to Toro Rosso, Verstappen to Red Bull - a seat swap:
    https://twitter.com/JennieGow/status/728125031797006336

Blimey, if true. But the source is a BBC reporter who says it's 'official'.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Hysterical.

Cameron ran the OR team at Carlton TV!
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    F1: I did have a look, but the bounders made the change before the Points market went up, so there's not really an opportunity, unless you think Verstappen can finish first or second in Spain (win market, each way).

Hmm.

Edited extra bit: if you're considering that, it's 250/1 at Ladbrokes, 1/3 the odds for top 2 (so, just over 80/1 for Verstappen to be 1st or 2nd). Given reliability issues at Mercedes and Ferrari and the nature of the Spanish circuit (slow, twisty) suiting Red Bull, that is actually something worth considering.

I have put on one and a half bottle tops.

Edited extra bit: this will not count as a tip in my records, incidentally.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,386

Cameron's immigration policy is prejudiced against non EU people, he doesn't want to let them in, unlike EU people who he waves through customs, no questions asked.

Its prejudice.
    I think this is a tricky argument for you Leaver guys to push.

Can you honestly say that you would swap one for one EU immigrants for non EU immigrants? No of course you can't. It is the quantity of immigration that you don't like, not the provenance.

It's fine - wanting lower immigration is a perfectly sensible position to hold. Just don't dress it up as worrying about the wrong type of immigrant.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I'm actually more interested in these non entities of by-election Than my only election of the PCC. If I write 'I'm only voting as u think it a civic duty, but party politics should not determine pccs' on the ballot would any votes still be valid. Should be right?

I know noone will care what I right, but I feel the urge to do so, or else spoil the ballot.

I'd be tempted to do that if I wasn't a Party member. TeamZac texted me at 0730 and asked me to help phonebank. I'm having real trouble stirring up any motivation here.
  • Options

bb63 So you think anyone from anywhere should just roll up to Calais, get on the ferry ..no checks..no questions asked..no passports stamped..no visas.. yeah that should work..

Thats's not what I said but ho hum
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    kle4 said:

Have a look at the web site I posted.

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,194
    kle4 said:

Kevin Hurley - the current PCC for Surrey - has been posting stuff on Facebook. I will be giving him my second preference.
  • Options
    I'm off to have a walk to the polling station in the Spring sunshine... To vote Labour for the first time in an election since 1998!!!!!

I had been wavering but after Cameron's un-prime ministerial and bullying behavior at PMQ's yesterday I decided to lend my vote to Jezza this time.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Hysterical.

He's only got to hang on until November/January. Not long!
  • Options

Obviously he doesn't, he thinks, I would guess, that there should be a points based system for permanent residency, treating people from anywhere just the same, and admitting them on the basis of their skills and the likelihood of them integrating, rather like those well known fascist states Australia and Canada.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Its prejudice.

Can you honestly say that you would swap one for one EU immigrants for non EU immigrants? No of course you can't. It is the quantity of immigration that you don't like, not the provenance.

It's fine - wanting lower immigration is a perfectly sensible position to hold. Just don't dress it up as worrying about the wrong type of immigrant.
    Why do you try to put words in my mouth?

Our immigration policy should be based on what we need in terms of skill set rather than country of origin. And as a responsible nation we should welcome a fair % of those in real need.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    TOPPING said:

Its not that hard. Its partly about volume and partly about quality and likelihood of integration, and a lot about fairness treating able candidates from anywhere in the world just the same, it works for several other liberal democracies just fine.

• Options
    bb63..perhaps you may care to explain why letting a Rumanian in to the country..an EU citizen..and checking out The paperwork and visa etc that the chap from Pakistan presents, is prejudiced..all countries apart from Schengen areas..carry out the same checks.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

Hysterical.

Cameron ran the OR team at Carlton TV!
    Oh yeah... I heard he was a disaster at Carlton?
  • Options

bb63..perhaps you may care to explain why letting a Rumanian in to the country..an EU citizen..and checking out The paperwork and visa etc that the chap from Pakistan presents, is prejudiced..all countries apart from Schengen areas..carry out the same checks.

Why would I care to explain anything when you're misrepresenting what I've said.
  • Options

PCC elections - you find out who is standing and each of their statements here:

https://www.choosemypcc.org.uk/

That's a great site - have shared it.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

I'm off to have a walk to the polling station in the Spring sunshine... To vote Labour for the first time in an election since 1998!!!!!

I had been wavering but after Cameron's un-prime ministerial and bullying behavior at PMQ's yesterday I decided to lend my vote to Jezza this time.

Always a good way for the undeserving to get elected.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    DavidL said:

Several cars driving around Edinburgh yesterday evening with SNP flags mounted on them. Quite professionally done, clearly a kit rather than a home made job. Other than that and some leaflets through the door, however, this has been a peculiarly low key election with nothing like the fervour of either the referendum or even of the GE. We had one set of Tory canvassers very early on but nothing since.

I think this is mainly because the result is a foregone conclusion. Everyone knows we are heading for another SNP majority. I expect them to get a majority from the constituency seats alone. The battle for second place may excite some political activists but the majority of the public really don't care about that.

I think there is a good chance that the Tories, sorry Ruths, will pick up maybe 10 additional seats tonight. Quite an achievement but the bar is set at second and that is a very big ask. London does not count until tomorrow and is equally a foregone conclusion. Where is the excitement that will make it worth staying up late tonight? Wales?

I have constituency bets on in both Galloway (nailed on SNP gain at genrous odds) and Dumfriesshire (gamble on not Tory victory). So that will keep me interested.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Its prejudice.

Our immigration policy should be based on what we need in terms of skill set rather than country of origin. And as a responsible nation we should welcome a fair % of those in real need.
    Isn't the EU doing exactly this with Turkey?
  • Options

Christ on a bike, are you joining the Nabavi/Meeks obtuse attempts to misunderstand club ? A capable Pakistani engineer needs to apply for a visa at the cost of about £1000, he then needs to pay for three years NHS surcharge (a further £600), if his visa is rejected he doesn't get the £1000 back. An unskilled high-school drop out from Romania flashes his EU passport and walks into the UK, is able to sign-on for benefit, and use our hospitals at no charge. Even you can see there is a slight difference, which is purely down to where the candidate comes from, in most circumstances that is called racism.
  • Options
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,723
    GIN1138 said:

Hysterical.

Trump's dad made the money.
    http://money.cnn.com/2015/08/31/news/companies/donald-trump-bankruptcy/
    http://www.vox.com/2015/9/2/9248963/donald-trump-index-fund
  • Options

kle4 said:

Have a look at the web site I posted.

I have - the briefest of info, 5 point plans largely made up of platitudes about keeping people safe (so original! How?) and working with others. UKIP chap is the most specific. Last time a couple in my area had manifestos which I stumbled with ease and we had a couple of independents too.

Honestly, the fundamental basis of the post is seriously suspect, and the lack of effort does not encourage to change minds.

A pleasant day go all, I'm off to vote.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Don't forget to do your patriotic duty today !!

https://twitter.com/equusonthebuses/status/728007335189319681
  • Options
    F1: just for comparison, Ricciardo's odds in that market are 34. Kvyat's [still unchanged] are 67. So, 251 does look a shade hefty, although, obviously, it's still very unlikely to occur.

Must say I'm very surprised. Kvyat got a podium in China and, whilst he had a terrible first lap in Russia, this is a very significant reaction (probably an over-reaction, in my book).

Some reckon, probably correctly, this is because Red Bull want to keep hold of Verstappen, with whom they have a contract until 2017, and stop other teams tempting him away.

But Kvyat's not exactly rubbish. He screwed up in Russia but he's a quick driver and he's only been with the team for a year and a bit.

The seat swap is with immediate effect and until, at least, the end of the season. So, it'll make the driver and constructor points totals look a bit weird...
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

TOPPING said:

Its prejudice.

Isn't the EU doing exactly this with Turkey?
    No idea.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Christ on a bike, are you joining the Nabavi/Meeks obtuse attempts to misunderstand club ? A capable Pakistani engineer needs to apply for a visa at the cost of about £1000, he then needs to pay for three years NHS surcharge (a further £600), if his visa is rejected he doesn't get the £1000 back. An unskilled high-school drop out from Romania flashes his EU passport and walks into the UK, is able to sign-on for benefit, and use our hospitals at no charge. Even you can see there is a slight difference, which is purely down to where the candidate comes from, in most circumstances that is called racism.
    Thanks, I was losing the will to live.

But I'm grateful to other posters for telling me what I think.
  • Options
    GIN1138 Corbyn could have stood up to him..he must have known it was on the agenda..a leader he most certainly is not.. Ms Eagles could have done a better job....
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

kle4 said:

Kevin Hurley - the current PCC for Surrey - has been posting stuff on Facebook. I will be giving him my second preference.
    I decided how to vote at the ge in part on how much effort the parties put in to get my vote. Not the sole factor but effort can be rewarded.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Its prejudice.

You do not need to desire a one to one swap to believe non-EU skilled migrants are being pushed out. Outside the EU, we could stop several hundred thousand non-skilled EU citizens and let in perhaps 50,000 more skilled non-EU migrants.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Layne said:

Banning all Muslims from the U.S. is a stupid policy, given the huge administrative cost, but it is not racist. Islam is a voluntary belief system. It is the equivalent of banning communists, which I believe the U.S. already does.

Banning Muslims would be illegal due to that whole Constitution thing they have.
  • Options
    @davidbyers26: Absolute shambles in Finchley, as polling station appears to have missed details of most voters off list. Problem apparently Barnet-wide.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    edited May 2016

Our immigration policy should be based on what we need in terms of skill set rather than country of origin.

Governments often try this. But in practice they turn out to be even worse at deciding what the country needs in terms of skill set than they would be at deciding what consumers need in terms of goods made in factories and sold in shops.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    This will come as no surprise to most PBers.

BBC - Trinity Mirror's New Day newspaper to close after just 9 weeks.

It had hoped to sell about 200,000 copies a day, but only managed 40,000. RIP
  • Options
    @JonIzzard: Bigger. Arrived at polling station to find I've already voted by post 6 times each for Sadiq Khan in Tower Hamlets and Lambeth. #vote2016
  • Options

Our immigration policy should be based on what we need in terms of skill set rather than country of origin.

Governments often try this. But in practice they turn out to be even worse at it than they would be at deciding what consumers need in terms of goods made in factories and sold in shops.
    Australia seem to do ok. It can be done.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,758
    The AfD seem to be continuing to gain support in Germany according to the latest polls, largely at the expenses of the SPD. The AfD is 5 points behind the SPD nationally ( who are on 21% ) but actually ahead of the SPD in former East Germany. CDU support is also declining but not as drastically, they are still on 34%.

http://www.faz.net/aktuell/politik/inland/deutschlandtrend-afd-fuenf-punkte-hinter-der-spd-14216266.html
  • Options

Governments often try this. But in practice they turn out to be even worse at it than they would be at deciding what consumers need in terms of goods made in factories and sold in shops.
    Yes - but Australia is an island - the UK is not.
  • Options

This will come as no surprise to most PBers.

BBC - Trinity Mirror's New Day newspaper to close after just 9 weeks.

It had hoped to sell about 200,000 copies a day, but only managed 40,000. RIP

@dylsharpe: The New Day targeted people that don't buy papers. Corbyn is targeting voters that don't vote. Tmrw both will see where that strategy ends.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Layne said:

Banning Muslims would be illegal due to that whole Constitution thing they have.
    Maybe
    http://blog.constitutioncenter.org/2015/12/constitution-check-would-a-ban-on-all-muslims-entering-the-u-s-be-valid/
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Britain's recent migrants are far more likely to be educated at every level of education than the domestic population. The current system works well, providing high quality migrants without too much bureaucracy.
  • Options
    Indigo Then it is not Camerons policy that is prejudiced..it is the entire EU ...and the same conditions should apply to the Pakistani gent even if we choose to leave..they would also apply to the fella from Rumania....so the so called prejudice would remain in situ.
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

Yes - but Australia is an island - the UK is not.
    Is Canada?
  • Options

Britain's recent migrants are far more likely to be educated at every level of education than the domestic population. The current system works well, providing high quality migrants without too much bureaucracy.

So why pledge to reduce the number to tens of thousands?
  • Options

Governments often try this. But in practice they turn out to be even worse at deciding what the country needs in terms of skill set than they would be at deciding what consumers need in terms of goods made in factories and sold in shops.
    The Australian system works because the skills sets required are set at state level according to what the state needs, and is updated a couple of times a year or so. If you want to work as a butcher in Australia, if you have enough points from general age, education, languages etc categories then good, if you are a few points short you look for a state that is showing a shortage of butchers, send them a resume, if they like what they see they certify you as fulfilling a need, and you get to add another 3-5 points onto your application.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,711

So migrants 'do' take peoples jobs...they're simply better at them.

And you wonder why some people have a problem with that?
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,758

It works well for large employers, who do not have to bother to train staff and who can keep wages low.

It does not work well for the bottom of society, or for society as whole, since all of us pay to keep our fellow citizens in the blighted lives they can aspire to.

• Options

Indigo Then it is not Camerons policy that is prejudiced..it is the entire EU ...and the same conditions should apply to the Pakistani gent even if we choose to leave..they would also apply to the fella from Rumania....so the so called prejudice would remain in situ.

Cameron is the one that wants to remain in the prejudiced EU not me!

If we leave we can make our own rules, which I would hope would be similar to Australia and Canada's proven systems, in which case the Pakistani and the Romanian with equal skills would have the same number of points and so be either admitted or not on the same basis.
This discussion has been closed.