Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

Comments

• Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    Good evening.

Fairly or not, it now seems like a very good job they did.

I have yet to read the thread comments - maybe my questions have been answered already:

Just suppose the (relevant) elections were re-run because the Conservatives were deemed to have won unfairly. Sure they might lose their majority, but equally they might increase it. Would that be 'fair'?

Or they lose their majority & who becomes PM? Mr Corbyn or Mr Miliband?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    JackW said:

JackW said:

National - ORC/CNN

Clinton 54 .. Trump 41
    Clinton 52 .. Cruz 42
    Clinton 44 .. Kasich 51

Sanders 56 .. Trump 40
    Sanders 57 .. Cruz 39
    Sanders 50 .. Kasich 46

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2016/images/05/04/rel6b.-.2016.general.pdf

If only they had waited a few days, they could have saved some money on that poll!
    Indeed so .... :smile:
    But then you lose the value in being able to say how much better Kasich would have been, for instance!
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937

Betting advice ...

Where's the best place to go to bet on final Premier League positions?

Not sure what you're looking for exactly SO, but take a look at the miscellany of markets available at the foot of this page from oddschecker.com and maybe you'll be lucky:

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/english/premier-league

Cheers, SkyBet gave me exactly what I was after - final league placing odds. I am going to make a fortune out of Tottenham's choke.

• Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    Out of interest JackW- who would you have thought would have been GOP's best POTUS candidate, and if chosen, could they beat Hilary?

Surely, if politics tells us anything you try and pick as your leader the person your enemies fear most.

I thought Christie would have been a good choice
    JackW said:

Kasich out - senior adviser .... And then there was one :

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/05/kasich-dropping-out-of-presidential-race-222792

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,780
    edited May 2016
    Wanderer said:

tyson said:

Watching the dynamics between Cameron and Corbyn at PMQ's is interesting- it clearly has become a bullying/victim relationship where Cameron is the bully- he shouts, he abuses, he harasses, he taunts, he demeans, he belittles- it seems to come quite naturally to him. Cameron really looks angry and quite threatening in full flow.

This kind of behaviour is not uncommon for PMQ's, but Corbyn's response is unusual- he looks and acts like a classic victim. His whole body language is victim like- almost cowering. You expect Dianne Abbot to jump up and shout at Cameron "Leave the old man alone, he's trying his best.." whilst shepherding Corbyn away. It makes compelling viewing in an unpleasant way.

Should Cameron tone it down? No, I don't think so. You don't let your enemy off the hook when they are down, and Corbyn is most certainly down on the canvass. I doubt Corbyn is going to put himself through this ritual humiliation week in, week out- but Cameron should continue pressing home his advantage.

I haven't seen today's episode yet but the kind of thing you describe, while it might engender some sympathy for Corbyn, won't, I think, make people vote for him. So from that point of view it is probably good business for Cameron.
    Cameron can be good with a cruel jibe but can overdo it sometimes but I suppose if it's overwhelming it's about making an impression. Cameron is gone in 2-3 years at most, if people think he's a bit of a bastard but also that Corbyn is weak, that could be worth it in his view as even if Corbyn improves he is working against an initial impression. I haven't watched in a while, he usually seems distracted to me, uncertain, more than anything else.
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

Good evening.

I have yet to read the thread comments - maybe my questions have been answered already:

Just suppose the (relevant) elections were re-run because the Conservatives were deemed to have won unfairly. Sure they might lose their majority, but equally they might increase it. Would that be 'fair'?

Do we get to replay all political events after the election too? A re run of the Labour leadership election for instance :p
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    tyson said:

Out of interest JackW- who would you have thought would have been GOP's best POTUS candidate, and if chosen, could they beat Hilary?

Surely, if politics tells us anything you try and pick as your leader the person your enemies fear most.

JackW said:

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/05/kasich-dropping-out-of-presidential-race-222792

I didn't think Christie was up to much. Plenty of skeletons too.

Incidentally, if Kasich were to be Trump's VP pick, surely that would be a single big announcement rather than this one?
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    edited May 2016
    Tyson.. my sympathies for your good self, having been born and raised in Lancashire..As a Cumbrian I can only offer slight comfort to you that Cumbrians look upon both Yorkshiremen and Lancastrians as some example of a lesser life form whose sole purpose for existence is to pollute the highways and byways of the beautiful Lake District every year...A pox on both your uncouth tribes.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    RobD said:

Do we get to replay all political events after the election too? A re run of the Labour leadership election for instance :p

.. and cancel the referendum?
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    RobD said:

AnneJGP said:

Good evening.

Well, exactly. Who'd be up for cancelling the EU referendum?

Edited to add: Snap!
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-36200366

Finally, a good decision.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Good evening. Any news from the London campaign?
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,856
    As for voting, I'm reminded of Plato (the Greek one not ours):

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors".
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Gabriel Debenedetti of "Politico" looks at Clinton's efforts in the swing states :

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/05/hillary-clinton-swing-states-trump-222772?lo=ap_b1
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited May 2016
    tyson said:

Roger- I thought those Tory posters were excellent, and amongst the most powerful I have seen- up there with the Saatchi posters even. They really did make Ed look to be weak and a pushover, and they got in the SNP threat too. Class

Roger said:

TGOHF said:

midwinter said:

Roger said:

TNS London Mayoral Poll fieldwork ended yesterday

First preference: Sadiq Khan (45%), Zac Goldsmith (33%), Others combined (21%)

Including second preferences: Sadiq Khan (57%), Zac Goldsmith (43%)

http://www.tnsglobal.co.uk/press-release/tns-poll-sadiq-khan-course-be-next-london-mayor

OT. I'm struggling to understand what Cameron's tactics were linking Khan to terrorism today. Either his team have researched it and it's been found to be a concern among Londoners or he's just flying a kite it which case the effect wont be neutral for his man-it'll be negative.

It seems far fetched to me that Londoners will believe a sitting MP is being allowed to walk the streets if he's linked to terrorists. To risk breaking the first rule of advertising -that your claim is believable-is a strange tactic immediately before an election.

I'd imagine its exactly the sort of thing that might motivate Tory leaning voters, who might otherwise have sat on their hands, to get out and vote. Might help a little with the second preferences too.
    Lynton knows..
    That's why I wondered whether it had been researched. During the election the posters with Miliband in Salmond's pocket didn't make any sense to me but they were tested to be the most effective of the election. A perfect example of the value of research.
    I found them insidious and I couldn't see them working. They were very stylishly presented and eye catching but I hadn't picked up the anti Scottish sentiment that they must have uncovered during research
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,984
    Mr. Tyson, there there. Not your fault you were born in Mordor.
  • Options
    PolruanPolruan Posts: 2,083
    AnneJGP said:

Good evening.

I think they won nearly all, or all, of the seats in question. Best case is that they win all the by-elections but that seems incredibly unlikely given the backdrop against which they would be fought. Also the main opposition in many would be LD so not susceptible to a campaign based on Corbyn-smearing. If the PM then can't command the confidence of the house due to lacking a majority, then I guess that HMQ would ask Mr Corbyn to see if he could form a government and if he couldn't (he couldn't) then we'd have a very interesting GE.
  • Options
    I think strategically Cameron should go in for the kill with Corbyn. Corbyn is not going to lead the Labour party into the next election- so better get him changed sooner rather than later and see the party divide catastrophically.

I actually thought today Corbyn appeared like he rather be anyone else than the HoC. There is no coming back from these kind of cowering, weak, flat footed performances.
    kle4 said:

Wanderer said:

tyson said:

Watching the dynamics between Cameron and Corbyn at PMQ's is interesting- it clearly has become a bullying/victim relationship where Cameron is the bully- he shouts, he abuses, he harasses, he taunts, he demeans, he belittles- it seems to come quite naturally to him. Cameron really looks angry and quite threatening in full flow.

This kind of behaviour is not uncommon for PMQ's, but Corbyn's response is unusual- he looks and acts like a classic victim. His whole body language is victim like- almost cowering. You expect Dianne Abbot to jump up and shout at Cameron "Leave the old man alone, he's trying his best.." whilst shepherding Corbyn away. It makes compelling viewing in an unpleasant way.

Should Cameron tone it down? No, I don't think so. You don't let your enemy off the hook when they are down, and Corbyn is most certainly down on the canvass. I doubt Corbyn is going to put himself through this ritual humiliation week in, week out- but Cameron should continue pressing home his advantage.

I haven't seen today's episode yet but the kind of thing you describe, while it might engender some sympathy for Corbyn, won't, I think, make people vote for him. So from that point of view it is probably good business for Cameron.
    Cameron can be good with a cruel jibe but can overdo it sometimes but I suppose if it's overwhelming it's about making an impression. Cameron is gone in 2-3 years at most, if people think he's a bit of a bastard but also that Corbyn is weak, that could be worth it in his view as even if Corbyn improves he is working against an initial impression. I haven't watched in a while, he usually seems distracted to me, uncertain, more than anything else.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,682
    Roger said:

TGOHF said:

midwinter said:

Roger said:

http://www.tnsglobal.co.uk/press-release/tns-poll-sadiq-khan-course-be-next-london-mayor

OT. I'm struggling to understand what Cameron's tactics were linking Khan to terrorism today. Either his team have researched it and it's been found to be a concern among Londoners or he's just flying a kite it which case the effect wont be neutral for his man-it'll be negative.

It seems far fetched to me that Londoners will believe a sitting MP is being allowed to walk the streets if he's linked to terrorists. To risk breaking the first rule of advertising -that your claim is believable-is a strange tactic immediately before an election.

I'd imagine its exactly the sort of thing that might motivate Tory leaning voters, who might otherwise have sat on their hands, to get out and vote. Might help a little with the second preferences too.
    Lynton knows..
    During the election the posters with Miliband in Salmond's pocket didn't make any sense to me
    I'm surprised at you Roger - surely a picture is worth a thousand words - though I'm sure it often feels the client thinks its the other way round!
  • Options
    Roger said:

tyson said:

Roger- I thought those Tory posters were excellent, and amongst the most powerful I have seen- up there with the Saatchi posters even. They really did make Ed look to be weak and a pushover, and they got in the SNP threat too. Class

Roger said:

TGOHF said:

midwinter said:

Roger said:

Lynton knows..
    That's why I wondered whether it had been researched. During the election the posters with Miliband in Salmond's pocket didn't make any sense to me but they were tested to be the most effective of the election. A perfect example of the value of research.
    I hadn't picked up the anti Scottish sentiment that they must have uncovered during research
    Don't fall into the Nats trap of equating Scotland with the SNP.

It is perfectly possible (indeed sensible!) to be anti-SNP while being pro-Scottish.....
  • Options
    surbiton said:

One wonders why the other EU countries aren't pulling their respective fingers out.
  • Options
    tyson said:

I think strategically Cameron should go in for the kill with Corbyn. Corbyn is not going to lead the Labour party into the next election- so better get him changed sooner rather than later and see the party divide catastrophically.

I actually thought today Corbyn appeared like he rather be anyone else than the HoC. There is no coming back from these kind of cowering, weak, flat footed performances.

kle4 said:

Wanderer said:

tyson said:

I am not sure Corbyn really cares that much. He is not that interested in Parliament, never has been. He can take being shouted at by Cameron for ten minutes once a week. Whatever else he is, he seems to be pretty impervious to vocal hostility. I reckon he can compartmentalise very well.

• Options
    Now that Trump has a clear field, the pressure on Bernie Sanders to withdraw is going to intensify massively. He's now unambiguously helping Trump.
  • Options
    edited May 2016

Roger said:

TGOHF said:

midwinter said:

Roger said:

Lynton knows..
    During the election the posters with Miliband in Salmond's pocket didn't make any sense to me
    I'm surprised at you Roger - surely a picture is worth a thousand words - though I'm sure it often feels the client thinks its the other way round!
    I didn't mean the posters didn't make any sense. They were as you suggest wonderfully clear and well execucuted. It was the concept.. The anti Scottish feeling had really passed me by
  • Options
    Mr. Roger, it wasn't anti-Scottish, it was anti-SNP. The idea of a party opposed to the existence of the UK forming the government was not welcomed.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    RobD said:

justin124 said:

If criminal prosecutions materialise from this , I suspect it will be well into next year before the issue comes to trial. Were there to be convictions which triggered 20 by-elections the Government would effectively lose its majority during the period leading up to such elections and would become dependent on the Unionists for survival. Moreover, if we end up with 20 by-elections , I would expect the Government to lose a good half of them - including Thanet South to Farage.

Mighty big if at the start of the sentence there!
    Absolutely! Were it to happen Cameron would find himself in a much weaker position than John Major in the 1992 Parliament . It would be a scenario closer to the Callaghan Government post Spring 1977.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    AndyJS said:

Yes. Labour has won.
  • Options
    Roger said:

I didn't mean the posters didn't make any sense. They were as you suggest wonderfully clear and well execucuted. It was the concept.. The anti Scottish feeling had really passed me by

It wasn't an anti-Scottish feeling, it was an anti-being-held-to-ransom feeling.
  • Options
    RobD said:

surbiton said:

One wonders why the other EU countries aren't pulling their respective fingers out.
    Or have done as much as the UK to help refugees near Syria - rather than acting as 'the people smuggler's friend'......
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,307

Now that Trump has a clear field, the pressure on Bernie Sanders to withdraw is going to intensify massively. He's now unambiguously helping Trump.

He has been for a while. The last week has simply confirmed the inevitable and weakened Hillary. She really did not need to still be losing States at this point and there is a tricky run of primaries coming up which might make it even worse.
  • Options
    edited May 2016

Roger said:

TGOHF said:

midwinter said:

Roger said:

Lynton knows..
    LOL. Always!
  • Options
    Mr. 124, it's unusual to have the two major parties so split.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419

He can legitimately point out, however, that he's still winning states. (Not that you're wrong, mind).
  • Options

tyson said:

kle4 said:

Wanderer said:

tyson said:

I am not sure Corbyn really cares that much. He is not that interested in Parliament, never has been. He can take being shouted at by Cameron for ten minutes once a week. Whatever else he is, he seems to be pretty impervious to vocal hostility. I reckon he can compartmentalise very well.

He looked genuinely shaken today. More than I have seen before.
  • Options
    Exciting news - reservoirs in the Severn Trent area are now at 97.4% of capacity. There will be no hosepipe ban this summer in the Midlands.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

If criminal prosecutions materialise from this , I suspect it will be well into next year before the issue comes to trial. Were there to be convictions which triggered 20 by-elections the Government would effectively lose its majority during the period leading up to such elections and would become dependent on the Unionists for survival. Moreover, if we end up with 20 by-elections , I would expect the Government to lose a good half of them - including Thanet South to Farage.

Absolutely! Were it to happen Cameron would find himself in a much weaker position than John Major in the 1992 Parliament . It would be a scenario closer to the Callaghan Government post Spring 1977.
    With 20 by-elections I'm not sure it wouldn't be such a bad idea to simply dissolve Parliament.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831

It is really bizarre to have a Party Leader who is not interested in leading, let alone winning

He isn't even using his office to raise issues in a meaningful way
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    RobD said:

surbiton said:

Why bother when they know we will pick up the slack ?
  • Options
    surbiton said:

AndyJS said:

Yes. Labour has won.
    Well that's a relief. Can we get on with building Heathrow now?
  • Options
    RobD said:

JackW said:

JackW said:

National - ORC/CNN

Clinton 54 .. Trump 41
    Clinton 52 .. Cruz 42
    Clinton 44 .. Kasich 51

Sanders 56 .. Trump 40
    Sanders 57 .. Cruz 39
    Sanders 50 .. Kasich 46

If only they had waited a few days, they could have saved some money on that poll!
    But then you lose the value in being able to say how much better Kasich would have been, for instance!
    I couldn't possibly comment .... :smiley:
    tyson said:

JackW said:

It's a very good question and I'm not too sure there is a good answer.

The problem for the GOP is not the nomination in isolation but finding a credible candidate that might square the circle of nomination and general election.

Rubio might have provided a contest but was found badly wanting too early in the nomination and so was unable to recover, grow and pull through.

Accordingly this time around the most likely answer was "none of the above" which for the GOP is a desperate situation as Clinton was vulnerable but not to the shortlisted crop and certainly not Trump.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

tyson said:

kle4 said:

Wanderer said:

tyson said:

I haven't seen it, to be fair. Whenever I do watch (rarely) it all seems to go over his head.

• Options

Roger said:

It wasn't an anti-Scottish feeling, it was an anti-being-held-to-ransom feeling.

It appealed to both, surely. That's why it was so perfect.

• Options
    surbiton said:

AndyJS said:

Yes. Labour has won.
    But they're going to lose London Assembly seats? Interesting to see the swing going in two opposite directions with the mayoral and assembly elections.
  • Options
    edited May 2016

Time limit for prosecutions.

(1)A proceeding against a person in respect of any offence under any provision contained in or made under this Act] shall be commenced within one year after the offence was committed, and the time so limited by this section shall, in the case of any proceedings under the Magistrates’ Courts Act 1980 (or, in Northern Ireland, the Magistrates’ Courts (Northern Ireland) Order 1981) for any such offence, . . . be substituted for any limitation of time contained in that Act or Order.

• Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047

MP_SE said:

Fnarr Fnarr

Bill Cash tells David Cameron there's going to be "an historic vote on your package as a whole". #ooeer #pleaseyourself

A micro package?

No wonder Dave has avoided talking about it.
    Why do leavers have to be so vulgar and sex obsessed ?
    How much Bush did you lay?
    There's a lot of money in laying Bush.
  • Options
    Innocent_AbroadInnocent_Abroad Posts: 3,294

It is really bizarre to have a Party Leader who is not interested in leading, let alone winning

JC was elected by, and speaks for, Labour activists, most of whom prefer the purity of Opposition to the compromises of power.

• Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,358

MP_SE said:

Fnarr Fnarr

Bill Cash tells David Cameron there's going to be "an historic vote on your package as a whole". #ooeer #pleaseyourself

A micro package?

No wonder Dave has avoided talking about it.
    Why do leavers have to be so vulgar and sex obsessed ?
    How much Bush did you lay?
    I have a date this evening. I'll let you know.

Oh you were talking about the GOP race.
    Lol!
  • Options
    DavidL said:

He has been for a while. The last week has simply confirmed the inevitable and weakened Hillary. She really did not need to still be losing States at this point and there is a tricky run of primaries coming up which might make it even worse.
    It doesn't matter that Clinton is losing the odd state now, she's had the nomination wrapped up from early doors when she built up a fire wall of pledged delegates in the closed primaries and her massive lead in Super Delegates.

This race is over.
  • Options
    RobD said:

justin124 said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

With 20 by-elections I'm not sure it wouldn't be such a bad idea to simply dissolve Parliament.
    Not really. It would actually produce a House of Commons very close to what the Exit Poll initially predicted last year - a minority Tory Government.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    SO Corbyn has to care .. That is his function as leader of the Party...either care or sod off..
  • Options
    edited May 2016

Roger said:

Probably a bit of both. As Carlotta says not Scottish but SNP. It just seemed a weak argument. But it's a good object lesson not to assume that any of us know the public mood.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    Patrick Kidd
    All kicking off in liaison committee. Bernard Jenkin threatens PM with a writ if he doesn't take down pro-EU govt websites
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    I simply demand Cromwell return to tell us how this is a masterstroke by Rubio.

And also how Zac is going to win the mayoral election.
  • Options

Yo yo, Nabavi in da house.

Where's ya rap, bro?

(OK, so I don't do "urban")
  • Options
    JackW said:

DavidL said:

It doesn't matter that Clinton is losing the odd state now, she's had the nomination wrapped up from early doors when she built up a fire wall of pledged delegates in the closed primaries and her massive lead in Super Delegates.

This race is over.
    It matters to the extent that Clinton has to continue to waste time playing the primary game, and positioning against Bernie to avoid too many embarrassments that might suggest she doesnt have the momentum and make swing voters think again, while Trump is going to tack like crazy for the centre and come over all reasonable as he starts his run for the general immediately.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    I have lost track now...

@bbcsoutheast: BREAKING: Senior #Labour figure in #Thanet, Jackie Walker, suspended from party for alleged anti-Semitism. https://t.co/LXc7ymrnXN
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @patrickwintour: I think there are now 16 suspended Republican Presidential campaigns. Almost as many as suspended Labour councillors.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

tyson said:

kle4 said:

Wanderer said:

tyson said:

Maybe he realises he's very close indeed to becoming PM.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,312
    RobD said:

justin124 said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

There FIFTEEN by-elections, all on the same day, in 1986
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Ireland_by-elections,_1986
  • Options
    Thanks JackW you wise old owl. I look forward to ARSEUS as the year rolls ahead
    JackW said:

RobD said:

JackW said:

JackW said:

National - ORC/CNN

Clinton 54 .. Trump 41
    Clinton 52 .. Cruz 42
    Clinton 44 .. Kasich 51

Sanders 56 .. Trump 40
    Sanders 57 .. Cruz 39
    Sanders 50 .. Kasich 46

tyson said:

JackW said:

The problem for the GOP is not the nomination in isolation but finding a credible candidate that might square the circle of nomination and general election.

Rubio might have provided a contest but was found badly wanting too early in the nomination and so was unable to recover, grow and pull through.

Accordingly this time around the most likely answer was "none of the above" which for the GOP is a desperate situation as Clinton was vulnerable but not to the shortlisted crop and certainly not Trump.
  • Options

Betting advice ...

Not sure what you're looking for exactly SO, but take a look at the miscellany of markets available at the foot of this page from oddschecker.com and maybe you'll be lucky:

Cheers, SkyBet gave me exactly what I was after - final league placing odds. I am going to make a fortune out of Tottenham's choke.

You've obviously spotted something I haven't - surely Spurs must finish either 2nd or at worst 3rd?
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Good post southam. Listen mate you need to get back into the Labour party. There are many more like minded people than you realise.

tyson said:

kle4 said:

Wanderer said:

tyson said:

• Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    JackW said:

RobD said:

JackW said:

JackW said:

National - ORC/CNN

Clinton 54 .. Trump 41
    Clinton 52 .. Cruz 42
    Clinton 44 .. Kasich 51

Sanders 56 .. Trump 40
    Sanders 57 .. Cruz 39
    Sanders 50 .. Kasich 46

tyson said:

JackW said:

I first realised the GOP were in trouble when Scott Walker was touted by many as a serious candidate and, at one point, betting favourite.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

The Evening Standard tonight is basically one big advert for Zac.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

I have lost track now...

@bbcsoutheast: BREAKING: Senior #Labour figure in #Thanet, Jackie Walker, suspended from party for alleged anti-Semitism. https://t.co/LXc7ymrnXN

How many of these suspended councillors are up for election tomorrow? It's too late to remove them from the ballot paper.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Indigo said:

JackW said:

DavidL said:

This race is over.
    It matters to the extent that Clinton has to continue to waste time playing the primary game, and positioning against Bernie to avoid too many embarrassments that might suggest she doesnt have the momentum and make swing voters think again, while Trump is going to tack like crazy for the centre and come over all reasonable as he starts his run for the general immediately.
    Clinton is not wasting time at all.

She raising $squillions in these states and already pivoting to the GE and swing states. See my link down thread. Much like Obama in 08.

I'm interested that you think Trump is going "to come over all reasonable" especially given his repeated accusation today about Cruz's father and the JFK assassination. Trump is Trump - he ain't going to change.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/2016-gop-primary-live-updates-and-results/2016/05/trump-ted-cruz-dad-jfk-222784
  • Options
    Peter- I posted here yesterday that I saw Federer driving to 40's on the betfair exchange for the French. It's closer to 30's now but that still looks value plus.

Couple of points to consider- Federer has a good chance of going in as 2nd seed if Murray slips up at Madrid, and Federer is clearly just targeting the majors now.

Betting advice ...

You've obviously spotted something I haven't - surely Spurs must finish either 2nd or at worst 3rd?
  • Options
    edited May 2016

Where's ya rap, bro?

Here's a preview in my profile - video being prepared
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Indigo said:

RobD said:

I'm all for us doing our bit, but why have other EU countries let this get so bad. Why has the EU country furthest from all of this got to pick up all the slack?

Because they know we are soft touches. They know they if they sit on their arses and do nothing for a few months the Daily Handwring will jump into gear and all of a sudden their problem will become our problem. We should get the word "sucker" tattooed on our national forehead.
    Going for tattoo-removal in June...
  • Options
    justin124 said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

Not really. It would actually produce a House of Commons very close to what the Exit Poll initially predicted last year - a minority Tory Government.
    So? I don't see why matching the exit poll should be viewed as some sort of goal.
  • Options

RobD said:

justin124 said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

NI doesn't count.
  • Options
    DixieDixie Posts: 1,221

AndyJS said:

The Evening Standard tonight is basically one big advert for Zac.
    Labour very confident of Mayoral win. Not so confident of holding Assembly members. But, data is sparse so who knows.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831

JC was elected by, and speaks for, Labour activists, most of whom prefer the purity of Opposition to the compromises of power.

He may be the Leader but in no sense is he a leader. It is quite unfathomable that someone would seek high political office and then utterly waste the opportunity. He seems totally lost
  • Options
    JackW said:

Indigo said:

JackW said:

DavidL said:

This race is over.

She raising $squillions in these states and already pivoting to the GE and swing states. See my link down thread. Much like Obama in 08.

I'm interested that you think Trump is going "to come over all reasonable" especially given his repeated accusation today about Cruz's father and the JFK assassination. Trump is Trump - he ain't going to change.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/2016-gop-primary-live-updates-and-results/2016/05/trump-ted-cruz-dad-jfk-222784
    Trump has done what Trump needed to do to see off his Republican rivals.

He now gets to shake the Etch-a-Sketch and start again on Hillary....
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,288
    The BBC article says:

"No police investigation has yet been launched, but the commission says it seems "sensible for the criminal justice agencies to retain the ability to take action should appropriate evidence come to light as part of the commission's own investigation"."

If they are only going to get an extension of a month, would that allow enough time for a police investigation (which hasn't yet even started) to be completed?

It would mean they would have just over two months from today - ie 35 days + one month.

If it did go to Court and the Conservatives lost, what would be the position re appeals etc? Is it something which could then go to the Court of Appeal and then the Supreme Court - which could take a very long time indeed.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Scott_P said:

I have lost track now...

How many of these suspended councillors are up for election tomorrow? It's too late to remove them from the ballot paper.
    Best time to suspend people then. Can let them back in when heat dies down, or if guilty, well, you did all you could.
  • Options

JackW said:

Indigo said:

JackW said:

DavidL said:

This race is over.

Etch-a-Sketch .... How very 1960's .... :smile:
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838
    DavidL said:

tyson said:

kle4 said:

Wanderer said:

tyson said:

Watching the dynamics between Cameron and Corbyn at PMQ's is interesting-.. .

I've just watched it. I was surprised Corbyn didn't fight back harder (or at all). He never drew attention to the fact that Cameron was brushing aside his questions then asking his own. He just seemed to accept that that was how it worked.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,312
    kle4 said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

NI doesn't count.
    Racist! :)
  • Options

Where's ya rap, bro?

Here's a preview in my profile - video being prepared
    Brilliant! Love the shades ;-)
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Wanderer said:

DavidL said:

tyson said:

kle4 said:

Wanderer said:

tyson said:

I've just watched it. I was surprised Corbyn didn't fight back harder (or at all). He never drew attention to the fact that Cameron was brushing aside his questions then asking his own. He just seemed to accept that that was how it worked.
    It is how it works - every PM I've ever seen does it, it's just a question of how much. Corbyn's not playing his part by arguing the PM is not answering his questions (this is to be done even if the PM does answer the question) is all.
  • Options
    tyson said:

Peter- I posted here yesterday that I saw Federer driving to 40's on the betfair exchange for the French. It's closer to 30's now but that still looks value plus.

Couple of points to consider- Federer has a good chance of going in as 2nd seed if Murray slips up at Madrid, and Federer is clearly just targeting the majors now.

Betting advice ...

Thanks Tyson - I really like considering the tennis tips suggested here on PB.com - I just wish we still had the benefit of HenryG's wisdom. Unfortunately he appears to have given up on his tennis tips.
  • Options
    JackW said:

JackW said:

Indigo said:

JackW said:

DavidL said:

This race is over.

Etch-a-Sketch .... How very 1960's .... :smile:
    Seems appropriate for both Hillary and Donald. They aren't exactly cutting edge either of them, are they?
  • Options
    A proper leader would have leapt up and roared back at Dave..Corbyn has not got the cojones for the job..He looked like a schoolkid who was caught smoking behind the bike sheds..time to let the wimp go
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,011
    Was serenaded by George Galloway this afternoon on his campaign bus as the Mayoral campaign enters its final hours
  • Options

JackW said:

Indigo said:

JackW said:

DavidL said:

This race is over.

Yes 'Etch a Sketch' worked brilliantly for Romney
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838
    kle4 said:

Wanderer said:

DavidL said:

tyson said:

kle4 said:

Wanderer said:

tyson said:

It is how it works - every PM I've ever seen does it, it's just a question of how much. Corbyn's not playing his part by arguing the PM is not answering his questions (this is to be done even if the PM does answer the question) is all.
    What usually happens is that the Prime Minister counter-attacks on the subject of the question. What happened today was that Cameron opened up a counter-attack that bore no relation to Corbyn's questions and Corbyn just seemed to accept that.
  • Options

tyson said:

Betting advice ...

Thanks Tyson - I really like considering the tennis tips suggested here on PB.com - I just wish we still had the benefit of HenryG's wisdom. Unfortunately he appears to have given up on his tennis tips.

Don't worry - he'll rally.

• Options
    Indigo said:

JackW said:

DavidL said:

This race is over.
    Hillary is the centrist candidate against Sanders anyway
  • Options
    JackW said:

National - ORC/CNN

Clinton 54 .. Trump 41
    Clinton 52 .. Cruz 42
    Clinton 44 .. Kasich 51

Sanders 56 .. Trump 40
    Sanders 57 .. Cruz 39
    Sanders 50 .. Kasich 46

So with Kasich out, Trump in a potential GOP lead of 7 over Clinton becomes a Hillary lead of 13 over Trump. Trump 2016 Cruz 2020, the Hillary dream ticket!
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    Wanderer said:

DavidL said:

tyson said:

kle4 said:

Wanderer said:

tyson said:

Corbyn ain't dirty enough.

If Cameron was digging at me over Hamas I'd tell him my so-called Hamas friends living in poverty in Palestine don't have the cash to kill as many people as the governnemt's good friends in Saudi Arabia do.

It's a bit below the belt but hey ho... better than just taking a shoeing over something he said years back.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    edited May 2016
    RobD said:

justin124 said:

Just say there was and just say the government either lost their majority as a result or the legitimacy of the Tory win was legally called into question............. Lots of if's I there I do grant you..........

What would then be the legitimacy of any EU referendum irrespective of how it turns out as it was offered by a government that perhaps was shown to be " not legitimate"

That would be quite a large can of worms to say the least.
  • Options

Betting advice ...

Yep, Spurs not being able to finish lower than third is crucial. You can bet the final top three and top four placings, and with Sky bet you get a couple of freebies thrown in. I cannot see Spurs winning again this season without Dembele and Alli in midfield, and both Southampton and Newcastle still with reasons to give it everything. It's too complicated to throw around here, but if I am right about Spurs I think I only lose if City come second - and that looks like a vanishingly small possibility. And if Spurs do prove me wrong, I am a happy man anyway.
  • Options
    Fenster.. you got it in one...when will the Labour Party get it..
  • Options
    RobD said:

justin124 said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

So? I don't see why matching the exit poll should be viewed as some sort of goal.
    The point being that such a scenario would not necessarily be unstable. Minority Governments can carry on for quite some time. Why should there be an election - FTPA aside?
  • Options
    justin124 said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

The point being that such a scenario would not necessarily be unstable. Minority Governments can carry on for quite some time. Why should there be an election - FTPA aside?
    Oh, I mean the government might just chose to face a general election than fight 20 by-elections each dominated by stories of fraud etc.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,722

JackW said:

Indigo said:

JackW said:

DavidL said:

This race is over.

Donald Trump is an enigma. He doesn't believe in anything apart from himself. Ironically he is the most careerist politician of them all. But if he was just thinking of electability he would have trimmed his Mr Angry act some time back as pandering to that section of Republicans is of diminishing returns. i really don't understand his gameplan.
This discussion has been closed.