Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

124»

Comments

• Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    edited May 2016
    Tim_B said:

With 17% counted, Sanders has narrowed Clinton's lead to 0.8%

1 minute later it's 0.6%

With 18% counted it's 0.4%

19% it's a dead heat
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Dixie said:

I've been out campaigning since 9 am and spent an hour or so with Zac. And yes, I do have a photo of him holding a pint correctly. Soft drink, mind, as he is on a 24 hour tour of London and must be sober.

The polls on 1st preference are 9 points difference, about the average in London for most elections since 2000. But Labour admit turnout will be poorer because of Livingstone.

Also, many people say the polls have a forecast turnout of 50% . I don't know how true.

Labour have told me for a while they will lose Barnet and Camden as well as Ealing and Hillingdon. They reiterated tonight. They have said Brent and Harrow under pressure too a couple of weeks ago.

Lots of senior politicians reckon turnout will be 28 to 33%. Could it really be that low? Well, Boris/Ken got 38% so it is possible. Labour are fearful at 34 and under. Tories expect 34 or under!

But 2nd prefs may make Khan nailed on.

I still maintain Tories will win Merton. Data says so. Famous last words?

Interesting. Do you think there will be a large ticket splitting voting. People voting for tory/ukip in assembley but Khan in Mayoral. I feel like Zac just seems to out of touch to win, I mean sure he can win in (very) wealthy Richmond but in harrow, Ealing etc? No.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,187
    CNN Dems Indiana 19% in

Sanders 50%
    Clinton 50%
    http://edition.cnn.com/election/primaries/states/in/Dem
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,163
    edited May 2016
    Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

With 17% counted, Sanders has narrowed Clinton's lead to 0.8%

1 minute later it's 0.6%

With 18% counted it's 0.4%

19% it's a dead heat
    Ironically that all happened as Sanders was speaking about the 1%. He made short work of them.
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838
    So the Republican primary really is over. We shall not see its like again.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

There seems to be a new YouGov of Labour members, showing that Corbyn would get 62% if there was a new leadership election. Confirms my own impression:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/may/03/jeremy-corbyns-critics-abandon-hopes-of-leadership-challenge

But only 43% on first preferences - well down on the 59% he managed last Autumn.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    NEW: Ted Cruz’s Rise and Fall Is Explained By a Cruel Paradox https://t.co/Zy4NSBMVzW "What goes around comes around."

"He's dug his own grave."

"His own arrogance contributed to where he is today."

GOP establishment unloads on Cruz

https://t.co/Zy4NSBMVzW
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    25% counted, Sanders UP by 0.2%

26% Sanders up by 0.8%

27% Sanders up by 1%
  • Options
    CNN 29% in
    GOP
    Trump 53.5%
    Cruz 35.4%
    Kasich 8.4%
    http://edition.cnn.com/election/primaries/states/in/Rep
    Dems
    Sanders 50.1%
    Clinton 49.9%
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,373
    edited May 2016
    nunu said:

Interesting. Do you think there will be a large ticket splitting voting. People voting for tory/ukip in assembley but Khan in Mayoral. I feel like Zac just seems to out of touch to win, I mean sure he can win in (very) wealthy Richmond but in harrow, Ealing etc? No.

Dixie's partly relying on what Labour friends tell him, but I wonder if they're pulling his leg - i really doubt if anyone has a clear picture of Assembly voting.

I've been a bit sidetracked by personal stuff this month so have no recent personal impression, except that people in my non-political circles (work, poker) aren't talking about the election much at all. Ticket-splitting seems to me unlikely, as people who bother to vote will tend to be politically motivated - I don't get the impression that either candidate has a huge personal following. Presumably the Standard will endorse Zac tomorrow, but probably in mild terms. My best guess is that Sadiq will do it by 54-46 or something similar.

• Options
    ViceroyViceroy Posts: 128
    The more I see of Trump the more I like him and I speak as a Ron & Rand Paul guy. Given how the left is incapable nowadays of any rational debate on immigration and such issues and just resorts to insult after insult, you need somebody like Trump who will not only simply shrug it off but who will take the fight back to them. Up the fight, don't back down to people who will hate you and slur you no matter what.

Trump 2016.
  • Options
    Viceroy said:

The more I see of Trump the more I like him and I speak as a Ron & Rand Paul guy. Given how the left is incapable nowadays of any rational debate on immigration and such issues and just resorts to insult after insult, you need somebody like Trump who will not only simply shrug it off but who will take the fight back to them. Up the fight, don't back down to people who will hate you and slur you no matter what.

Trump 2016.

He is a rabble rouser, not the same thing as a president
  • Options
    30% in Dems Sanders 51% Clinton 49%

Looks like Trump and Sanders have won tonight, goodnight
  • Options
    ViceroyViceroy Posts: 128
    HYUFD said:

Viceroy said:

Trump 2016.

I'd say the rabble rousers are Obama and co who egg on groups like Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited May 2016
    CNN — Cruz's team still believe they can stop Trump from reaching 1,237.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Viceroy said:

HYUFD said:

Viceroy said:

Trump 2016.

I'd say the rabble rousers are Obama and co who egg on groups like Black Lives Matter.
    The GOP cannot afford to completely alienate minorities if they are to win, white males alone are not enough and Obama is more cerebral than egger on
  • Options
    42% counted, Sanders leads by 4.2%
  • Options
    pinkrosepinkrose Posts: 189
    edited May 2016
    LOL looks like the "Labour are anti-semitic" smears (even though the far left are vehmently anti the Israeli occupation and persecution of the Palestinians not anti semitic) have utterly failed and even back fired on the Tories. Labour are increasing their lead!!

Tory racists and Islamophobes die in your rage!!

Lets hope the failure of this disgraceful campaign against Sadiq Khan means people will now investigate the blatant Islamophobia in the Tory party,
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    EPG said:

Layne said:

The flocking of left wingers here to offer up various unconvincing defences of Khan shows they are panicking about the latest revelation. Who exactly was Sadiq Khan referring to as "Uncle Toms" if he wasn't calling anyone by that term? That's an even worse argument than trying to distract by pointing to what some blogger said about traitors.

Watch the video.
    The answer is that he was talking about nobody, about a policy he said you couldn't follow, and that he didn't follow. Instead, he said you need to speak to critical friends like Quilliam. It is a lesson in two things: First, try not to use the language of slavery and Jim Crow in South-Eastern England. Second, politicians should never talk about hypotheticals.
    It sounded as if he said "Uncle Tom" (not "Uncle Toms"), as in "Uncle Tom Cobbley and all" (i.e. everybody).

• Options
    Fiorina already talking in the past tense about fighting alongside Cruz.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    pinkrose said:

LOL looks like the "Labour are anti-semitic" smears (even though the far left are vehmently anti the Israeli occupation and persecution of the Palestinians not anti semitic) have utterly failed and even back fired on the Tories. Labour are increasing their lead!!

Tory racists and Islamophobes die in your rage!!

Lets hope the failure of this disgraceful campaign against Sadiq Khan means people will now investigate the blatant Islamophobia in the Tory party,

In London maybe. About 88% of the population live elsewhere.
  • Options
    Sanders lead now 4.8%.
  • Options
    Unidentified Reports Ted Cruz to quit the race
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    AndyJS said:
    The 3 women on stage are upset, and the one man looks miserable, so could well be true. Sounds like a farewell speech.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

AndyJS said:
    The 3 women on stage are upset, and the one man looks miserable, so could well be true. Sounds like a farewell speech.
    I'm surprised, I thought Cruz would take the race to California.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,015
    Holy moley! Trump has won!
  • Options
    RobD said:

Holy moley! Trump has won!

The only question now is whether Bernie can keep up the momentum against Hillary. He's doing much better than expected in Indiana.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Cruz is going out with some grace. If he had used this tone throughout, he might well have done better.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Cruz definitely out. "No viable path to victory".
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Ted Cruz suspends his campaign - Official. Fox has had the banner up for almost the whole speech, but now the man himself has announced it.

Trump will get his 1237 votes now.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Cruz out today, hopefully Corbyn out on Friday so we can have a proper contest in 2020.
  • Options
    Fiorina has to be the shortest-lived VP candidate in US political history!
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Cruz out today, hopefully Corbyn out on Friday so we can have a proper contest in 2020.

Corbyn isn't going anywhere before the end of June.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

No matter how bad the results are?
  • Options
    54% counted, Sanders lead 6%.

It's absolutely irrelevant, but I do enjoy seeing her lose.

What's the German for schadenfreude?

Now that Trump is The Man, the party needs to start coalescing around him. This means more pressure on Sanders to withdraw so the Dems can do the same.
  • Options

Fiorina has to be the shortest-lived VP candidate in US political history!

Earliest too.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

No matter how bad the results are?
    They know that they have to keep things together until the referendum is out of the way - Labour may be going mad - but they get that they can't have a leadership challenge midway through a campaign
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited May 2016
    I wasn't expecting cruz to pull out - that certainly helps trump.

Wise for punters not to write the guy off. I've balanced my book in favour of POTUS trump for the time being.
  • Options
    Is Trump to speak tonight?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Can't see him passing on the opportunity.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Momentarily (as they keep saying on CNN - with no regard to the actual meaning of the word)
  • Options
    RobD said:

Yes. Probably in about 10 minutes. I imagine he's on the phone with Cruz right now.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

RobD said:

Yes. Probably in about 10 minutes. I imagine he's on the phone with Cruz right now.
    That doesn't sound like a Trump thing to be doing. He has never struck me as the sort to engage in that sort of nicety.
  • Options
    The RNC calling for the party to unite behind Trump.
  • Options
    What do the markets have to say about a VP choice for Trump?
  • Options

Tim_B said:

RobD said:

That doesn't sound like a Trump thing to be doing. He has never struck me as the sort to engage in that sort of nicety.
    He has to start uniting the party.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

RobD said:

After the nastiness of the exchanges between them today over the Enquirer story, I think a bit of water needs to have to flow before any reconciliation can happen.
  • Options

The RNC calling for the party to unite behind Trump.

Reince Priebus just announced that Trump is the candidate.

At Trump HQ the seats are all taken, the VIPs are standing behind the lectern, and all we need now is Donald.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

RobD said:

The Party has to start uniting around him as well - it is a two-way process. And he, at the moment, is in a more powerful position that anyone else in the Republican leadership - he has beaten all of their preferred candidates.
  • Options

Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

RobD said:

After the nastiness of the exchanges between them today over the Enquirer story, I think a bit of water needs to have to flow before any reconciliation can happen.
    Indeed it will take some time. All the more reason to get on with it.

I wonder how conciliatory Trump will be this evening.
  • Options

Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

RobD said:

The Party has to start uniting around him as well - it is a two-way process. And he, at the moment, is in a more powerful position that anyone else in the Republican leadership - he has beaten all of their preferred candidates.
    That is true.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

RobD said:

He should be allowed a brief moment of triumph and start taking the fight to HRC - but some kind words towards the people he has beaten would be appropriate.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

RobD said:

I'm sure he'll be conciliatory. This question is whether he launch straight into shock and awe against Clinton or bask in the moment.
  • Options
    Fox calls Indiana for Sanders
  • Options
    Here's Donald
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Fox calls Indiana for Sanders

How does he keep doing this?

Not that anyone will notice - tonight belongs to Trump (and Cruz for going with dignity)
  • Options
    Here comes the Trump
  • Options
    90% chance of Clinton winning on 538... titters.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    RobD said:

They called tonight's race for Hillary beforehand and Bernie is probably going to win.
  • Options
    Kind words for Cruz - and others
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

RobD said:

They called tonight's race for Hillary beforehand and Bernie is probably going to win.
    There's no 'probably' about it. He's maintaining over a 6% lead. Fox called it for him a while ago. Unfortunately it doesn't matter.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Trump talking a lot of sense, especially about things like the awful state of many American airports.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Trump talking a lot of sense, especially about things like the awful state of a lot of American airports.

The problem is that much of what he wants to do has to be done by Congress.

It's pretty much his standard stump speech.
  • Options
    With events like this, it makes House of Cards feel rather tame! If someone tried to get a show made with the story of Trump's rise to the top of his party, the networks would laugh at you
  • Options
    Lyin' Ted to St.Ted in one fell swoop.
  • Options

With events like this, it makes House of Cards feel rather tame! If someone tried to get a show made with the story of Trump's rise to the top of his party, the networks would laugh at you

Everyone, think back to June 16th last year, when Trump announced his candidacy.

How many PBers at that time thought Trump would be the GOP nominee? Raise your hands. If you say you did, you're lying!
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Everyone, think back to June 16th last year, when Trump announced his candidacy.

How many PBers at that time thought Trump would be the GOP nominee? Raise your hands. If you say you did, you're lying!
    I thought he had a good chance. Can't remember whether I posted about it.
  • Options
    President Trump... we might have to get used to that. I know he has many, many, many negatives - but he is the candidate who exceeds expectations.
  • Options
    In terms of betting on the Republican nominee, when the end game arrived, it was all settled very quickly. Less than two weeks ago Trump's odds had weakened from around 1/5 to touch even money on Betfair and appeared likely to continue in that direction.
    Then, suddenly, punters started to look at the serious numbers and realised there was only one possible outcome.
    Tonight Trump is on offer at 1.05 or 1/19 in old money, Cruz has withdrawn and it's game over.
  • Options
    That's a brilliant collection of quotes ....... poor old Nate, he must feel a right idiot tonight.
  • Options
    O/T but it shows the sort of mentality that has taken hold in certain parts of the US....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvRlJ_MzoII

It is scary to think that young people have been so completely indoctrinated that they consider this to be real.
  • Options

That's a brilliant collection of quotes ....... poor old Nate, he must feel a right idiot tonight.
    Titter.

Need I say more? :p
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693

In terms of betting on the Republican nominee, when the end game arrived, it was all settled very quickly. Less than two weeks ago Trump's odds had weakened from around 1/5 to touch even money on Betfair and appeared likely to continue in that direction.
    Then, suddenly, punters started to look at the serious numbers and realised there was only one possible outcome.
    Tonight Trump is on offer at 1.05 or 1/19 in old money, Cruz has withdrawn and it's game over.

It's been a very odd GOP race to bet on!

Some price movements were utterly predictable, some made no sense at all.

Do you take a view on the POTUS odds?

Is Trump value @ 11/4?
  • Options

O/T but it shows the sort of mentality that has taken hold in certain parts of the US....

It is scary to think that young people have been so completely indoctrinated that they consider this to be real.

What was all that about? Embarrassing to watch or what?
  • Options
    A new Republican Party was born tonight. Where it will go, nobody yet knows.

It will be one hell of a ride!
  • Options

What was all that about? Embarrassing to watch or what?
    Cult-ish behaviour inspired by the Black Lives Matter movement. SJW brainwashing on US university campuses
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

The positive thing about it is that it isn't particularly religious.
  • Options

What the hell...
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Tim_B said:

Amen to that! (sorry - couldn't resist) ;)
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Tim_B said:

Absolutely. Anything that gets religion out of US politics is a good thing.
  • Options
    Pong said:

Is Trump value @ 11/4?
    Prompted, I think by Pulpstar just three or four days ago, I backed The Donald to become the next POTUS at odds of 6.4 (6.13 net) on Betfair, mainly on the basis that there just had to be a profitable trading opportunity on such a bet this side of the elections in November.
    Who could have imagined that the odds would almost halve over such a short time span?
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    We must marry Nate to our own ARSE, JackW. Titter,,,,, :D
  • Options
    edited May 2016

AndyJS said:

Tim_B said:

Absolutely. Anything that gets religion out of US politics is a good thing.
    Trump and Clinton must be two of the least religious presidential candidates for a long time, although I suppose Reagan wasn't all that religious either.
  • Options
    Pong said:

Is Trump value @ 11/4?
    Sorry, answering your question ..... is Trump value at 11/4? I certainly wouldn't be investing any more on him, at least until he chooses his Veep. If it's a woman and the right woman, then I think his odds could well shorten further, say to around 7/4, making 11/4 look like value.
    DYOR.
  • Options
    What I would like to hear, preferably from those who understand these things, is just why Hillary is doing so badly in relative terms, although still virtually certain to win her party's nomination.
    For at least the last two years she had been considered virtually a shoo-in for the Presidency, all the more so when her only Democratic opponent turned out frankly to be an old man holding such socialist views.
    Perhaps Mike could arrange an Atlantic link up for one of his upcoming TV shows with some informed opinion on this.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    I've just laid Hillary on Betfair because I think her odds are going to move out. Losing Indiana was a disaster not in terms of delegates but in terms of campaign momentum. She's going to limp across the line
  • Options
    New thread Mike ;)
This discussion has been closed.