Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

Comments

• Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100

HYUFD said:

Tim_B said:

Both CNN and Fox News reporting that the Cruz team feel 'bummed out' this evening.

He's surely going to quit the race before California and quite likely to do so tonight.
    He will stay in until Trump gets over the line, that can only happen with California, Cruz despises Trump, especially after he implied today his father was linked to the JFK assassination
    He may drop out. As much as he hates Trump, he loves himself more.
    Carly Fiorina will have a place in history as the shortest VP campaign in history.
    And the concept of nominating a VP early with it.

Whilst you don't have a VP, people assume you'll pick their dream candidate. Never spoil their bubble.
    Ridicule, the only thing that Fiorina has ever won in politics.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Tim_B said:

Both CNN and Fox News reporting that the Cruz team feel 'bummed out' this evening.

He's surely going to quit the race before California and quite likely to do so tonight.
    He will stay in until Trump gets over the line, that can only happen with California, Cruz despises Trump, especially after he implied today his father was linked to the JFK assassination
    He is not going to drop out, even if he loses this time he wants to be the nominee in 2020 if Trump is defeated in November and will want to milk the publicity for as long as he can
    Looking like a sore loser isn't going to help his 2020 bid. However he won't drop out because all the last set of primaries happen on the same day, and Trump will go into that day well short.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,057

EPG said:

Hands up if you have watched the video and can name a person or an organisation he called "Uncle Tom".
    Sadly PB comments has more than enough people who don't even bother to write (unlike say SeanT) but just use PB to retweet their stream of consciousness from the Guidosphere.

So why does he now regret using that term?
    Presumably because he does not like the term. Even in a hypothetical situation about something that did not happen - as he said, you CAN'T do this, but instead you need to talk to critical friends - it is still redolent of the rhetoric of victim-blaming from the days of slavery and Jim Crow in the American South. It is a bad phrase in and of itself. It is not needed.

Still beats your man Zac who apparently regrets his campaign messages the very day they get published.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,045
    PB is slowly transforming into the trash that is Guido and Breitbart - very very sad...
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Tim_B said:

He is not going to drop out, even if he loses this time he wants to be the nominee in 2020 if Trump is defeated in November and will want to milk the publicity for as long as he can
    Who calls accumulating humiliating defeats as publicity ?
    It's ridicule, already CNN is calling Ted Cruz as the Santorum of 2016.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    edited May 2016
    HYUFD said:

Tim_B said:

Trump merely quoted - mischievously - a National Enquirer report from April 20th.

If Trump wins Indiana, it might not be Cruz's decision whether to stay in or not. The big money will cut him off and he will have to scrabble for every dollar, letting the national campaign team go, and thinning out what remains.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Trump leads in Fort Wayne, what should be Cruz's strongest area.
    Trump might sweep all CD's.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,189

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Tim_B said:

Looking like a sore loser isn't going to help his 2020 bid. However he won't drop out because all the last set of primaries happen on the same day, and Trump will go into that day well short.
    Maybe but if Trump loses in the general he can claim the moral highground and say the GOP need 'a real conservative' in 2020 and as you say Trump will still be short come the final day of primaries (even if almost certainly not by the time their results are in)
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,175
    I found Trump's comments when asked about nominating Cruz to the Supreme Court very measured.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3569849/Time-quit-Ted-Trump-tells-Cruz-ready-leave-race-won-t-offer-constitutional-lawyer-spot-Supreme-Court-consolation-prize-tough-temperament.html

'I don't know. I'd have to think about it. That's a big decision,' he told DailyMail.com, saying that he's aware of Cruz's record as a constitutional lawyer.

'But there's a whole question of uniting, and there's a whole question as to temperament. And I'd have to think about it.'

Trump raised Cruz's 'temperament' four separate times while explaining why putting the lawmaker on his Supreme Court short-list wasn't an easy call.

'He's got a tough temperament for what we're talking about,' Trump said of Cruz. 'You have to be a very, very smart, rational person in my opinion, to be a justice of any kind at a high level or low.'

'You need a proper temperament. And that would be a question that I would have.'
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    LMAO at this new supposed Sadiq Khan "scandal". The whole VIDEO is precisely ABOUT him talking about tackling extremism!

Laughable.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Tim_B said:

Maybe but if Trump loses in the general he can claim the moral highground and say the GOP need 'a real conservative' in 2020 and as you say Trump will still be short come the final day of primaries (even if almost certainly not by the time their results are in)

Santorum 2012.
    A lot of support for Cruz was, like with Santorum just tactical.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    murali_s said:

PB is slowly transforming into the trash that is Guido and Breitbart - very very sad...

And you don't bring your crap on here trying to shut down debate,especially on immigration ?

On most polls it's one of the biggest concerns to the British public.

Go away if your not happy.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,051
    Actually I rather like Sadiq. He comes across as a pretty normal guy, straightforward, and will be good for London as a multicultural hub.

Elections usually produce the best outcomes. That is democracy for you. I think most Tories on this site will think that Sadiq is a better choice for London than Zak Goldsmith.
    Roger said:

SeanT said:

Nice if you're a "moderate Muslim", to know that the likely Labour Mayor of London thinks you're an "Uncle Tom". A traitor to your race.

I wonder if the Mail have deliberately held this back. So it's too late to stop Khan, but sufficient to cripple him?

Whatever way you look at it, this is pretty calamitous for Sadiq

Even by your drama queen standards that's crap!
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

HYUFD said:

Tim_B said:

Trump merely quoted - mischievously - a National Enquirer report from April 20th.

If Trump wins Indiana, it might not be Cruz's decision whether to stay in or not. The big money will cut him off and he will have to scrabble for every dollar, letting the national campaign team go, and thinning out what remains.
    Even if it is just him, his wife and his dog, I expect him to stay in until California
  • Options
    With 5% of votes counted Trump has an almost 20 point lead.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Guardian — Corbyn's opponents in the Labour Party accept he is untouchable as leader and a coup is impossible. Who cares about election results?
  • Options
    Jeb! has 1% so far in Indiana.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Tim_B said:

HYUFD said:

Tim_B said:

Even if it is just him, his wife and his dog, I expect him to stay in until California
    - and his veep will walk the dog?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,018
    Tim_B said:

The Trump Train is approaching its final destination!
  • Options

murali_s said:

And you don't bring your crap on here trying to shut down debate,especially on immigration ?

I'm not closing down debate but it's just so predictable that many on here equate immigration to all the ills of the world or in this case particular case, London.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,051
    Sadiq's actually a really good candidate. I really like him which is much more than I can say for the vast majority of politicians, Labour included.

If Labour hadn't picked such appalling leaders such as Brown, Miliband, and Corbyn and instead kept to the winning formula laid down by Blair- normal, but nice (OK Blair did go bonkers) I doubt that the Tory party would now exist in this format.
    Danny565 said:

LMAO at this new supposed Sadiq Khan "scandal". The whole VIDEO is precisely ABOUT him talking about tackling extremism!

Laughable.

• Options
    John_N4John_N4 Posts: 553
    edited May 2016
    I'm pro-Remain, but the crudeness of some of the Remain propaganda, in the face of what (in my opinion) is a very uphill battle to prevent the British people giving the political class one hell of a big message on immigration next month, is hilarious.

The Guardian asks, "I'm self-employed – would Brexit stop me from freelancing in another EU country?", with a picture of a woman of about 30 in a sleeveless dress, one hand on her laptop keyboard and the other holding a mobile phone to her ear, with a big cup of what is probably cappuccino close to her laptop, sitting on a backless seat in what looks like a cafe. What a comfortable way to work. And I wonder how many times she's spilled coffee on her computer.

The strapline says, "Self-employed UK citizens have the right to work in any EU member state. Our experts explain how an out vote could impact that". A professor at "HTW Berlin" (something like a polytechnic?) replies, "As with so many questions concerning Brexit, the exact answer depends on what kind of deal the British government would negotiate with the rest of the EU after leaving the union." He continues, "If Britain would secure a deal similar to that of Switzerland, then potentially not much would change for self-employed who want to move to the EU." But "if Britain wants to limit migration into the UK after a vote for Brexit, self-employed Britons will have a much harder time moving to one of the remaining EU countries as well." And then there's a wall of text. Seriously, I mean most metropolitan cappuccino drinkers will be voting Remain anyway. I'm glad for their sake there won't be a "kick them out" option on the ballot paper.

In short, yeah, if you stop being an EU citizen, as British people will do if Britain leaves the EU, don't expect to have an EU citizen's rights in the EU. But they serve cappuccino in Bergen, so...
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Tim_B said:

Who calls accumulating humiliating defeats as publicity ?
    It's ridicule, already CNN is calling Ted Cruz as the Santorum of 2016.
    Had Santorum won Iowa and not Cruz he would still have had a shot. Traditionally the GOP nominate the next in line, Reagan lost the nomination to Ford in 1976 but was nominee in 1980, Bush Snr lost in 1980 but was nominee in 1988, Dole lost in 1988 but was nominee in 1996, McCain lost in 2000 but was nominee in 2008, Romney lost in 2008 but was nominee in 2012 etc and I can't see the GOP base in their present mood picking a moderate until at least 1 more election cycle is over ie 2024 when Hillary is gone. If Trump is beaten they will pick someone even more conservative and Cruz is ideally placed!
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,079
    murali_s said:

No it isn't - in fact more people are challenging hateful views than before, against Jews and Muslims. Granted that's because there have been some socking comments - the stuff from daodao earlier today was horrifying - but it is challenged, even the stuff against the left or Muslims, even if there are still more rights wing people around who also dislike immigrAtion levels (and in my experience immigration opinions transcend bullshit definitions of left or right). So e of the most histrionic on here have just this evening posted comments of nuance, even if one can still disagree with it, and one thing I personally see little of in many places is nuance.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Tim_B said:

The Trump Train is approaching its final destination!
    Something along those lines ;)
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    SeanT said:

Danny565 said:

Laughable.

Jesus. The contortions you lefties are getting into, to excuse the inexcusable. It's amusing but also painfully embarrassing. Like seeing a drunken aunt try lap dancing, in the mortifying belief she is still attractive.
    I'm sorry but the Tories are becoming parodies of themselves over Khan.

Considering the Tories' whole strategy is about painting Khan as a friend of Islamists, it's not clear to me why a video of him saying it would be immoral for the British government to talk to Hamas and telling Muslims that they should stop making excuses for terrorism is some kind of "knockout blow".

I'm not even sure he meant what you think he means by "Uncle Tom", since it comes in the context of him defending the government talking to the Quilliam Foundation (which is one of the leading "moderate Muslim" groups, led by the rather impressive Maajid Nawaz). But don't let facts get in the way.
  • Options
    tyson said:

Sadiq's actually a really good candidate. I really like him which is much more than I can say for the vast majority of politicians, Labour included.

If Labour hadn't picked such appalling leaders such as Brown, Miliband, and Corbyn and instead kept to the winning formula laid down by Blair- normal, but nice (OK Blair did go bonkers) I doubt that the Tory party would now exist in this format.

Danny565 said:

Laughable.

Khan seems really boring, but even considering the labour friendly territory, he's held things together well and avoided pitfalls. Honestly they could do worse for a leader.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Soon I'll be able to go to bed! Not enough of a spread yet.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

UNCLE TOMS

The future Labour Mayor of London thinks moderate Muslims are UNCLE TOMS.

Can't quite compute. It's beyond bad, on reflection. What thought process gets you to that place? What does he really think of white people, or race relations, or the role of Muslims in Britain?

Mind boggling.

As usual with you, WAY over the top.

You been away from London during the campaign? I wonder if you've noticed the overt dog and whistle campaign of the brainless non-entity that is Zac?
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    tyson said:

Danny565 said:

Laughable.

The Tory Party only won because it became Blairite while Labour went back to its socialist past
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    edited May 2016
    murali_s said:

And off go the PB right-wing loons/fruitcakes/bigots on immigration again...

So predictable. Sighs...

When you struggle to make a coherent argument, cry waaacist...
  • Options
    murali_s said:

murali_s said:

I'm not closing down debate but it's just so predictable that many on here equate immigration to all the ills of the world or in this case particular case, London.
    How unfair that other people care about another issue, to the point of over emphasising it. That is such a new thing and so totally unreasonable for people to have their own views as to what factors are most politically relevant.

For the record I've no real objections to immigration, but I don't think society at large agrees with me o that.

Good night
  • Options
    SeanT said:

UNCLE TOMS

Can't quite compute. It's beyond bad, on reflection. What thought process gets you to that place? What does he really think of white people, or race relations, or the role of Muslims in Britain?

Mind boggling.

Of course he didn't say that they were. And he is a "moderate Muslim".

You can't sincerely think he is calling himself a TRAITOR? Even you just call other people TRAITORS, not yourself.

What thought process gets you to the place where you are? High probability of the first defeat for the right in a major English election since 2005? Prospect of a Muslim having the largest personal mandate in Britain?
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Everything's bottoms for some people, isn't it? (Apologies to Basil Fawlty.)
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    Harry Cole
    NEW: Jeremy Corbyn to 2002 hate rally: "no recognition and no support for Israel” https://t.co/PYRRhagDal https://t.co/mk9zNZUEEY
  • Options
    6% counted Trump 54.3%, Cruz 32.3%
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

murali_s said:

And off go the PB right-wing loons/fruitcakes/bigots on immigration again...

So predictable. Sighs...

When you struggle to make a coherent argument, cry waaacist...
    Isn't that what people are doing to Khan right now?
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    SeanT said:

UNCLE TOMS

Mind boggling.

Have you actually WATCHED the whole video, rather than the out-of-context snippet from Guido Fawkes?

From 3:22:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1-5danu5rQ

Please tell me in what way he is saying "moderate Muslims" are Uncle Toms. If anything, he seems to be calling the more hardline groups Uncle Toms, since he says it after a question about why the government is only talking to moderate groups like the Quilliam Foundation, rather than groups "that don't agree with the government's stance".
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976

Harry Cole
    NEW: Jeremy Corbyn to 2002 hate rally: "no recognition and no support for Israel” https://t.co/PYRRhagDal https://t.co/mk9zNZUEEY

Oops - will Jeremy now suspend himself? :lol:
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,910
    edited May 2016

As a moderate Muslim* I can't tell you how much I'm fuming at Sadiq Khan right now.

*I'm not religious at all but the EDL/Britain First would hate me on sight alone.

I do find it odd that if you've faced those sorts of insults and accepted them with equanimity you don't find it odd that the the posters here think the Jews should be apoplectic about having Israel drawn on a map in Texas. Is it that you think they're more delicate?
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Anyone who speaks to the government is an Uncle Tom. Hitler's original Jewish solution was okay up to 1932. Is this really happening?

And people are really defending it?
  • Options
    EPG said:

SeanT said:

UNCLE TOMS

Mind boggling.

Of course he didn't say that they were. And he is a "moderate Muslim".

You can't sincerely think he is calling himself a TRAITOR? Even you just call other people TRAITORS, not yourself.

What thought process gets you to the place where you are? High probability of the first defeat for the right in a major English election since 2005? Prospect of a Muslim having the largest personal mandate in Britain?
    Far right? What are you talking about?
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Isn't this fun!
  • Options
    chestnut said:

Anyone who speaks to the government is an Uncle Tom. Hitler's original Jewish solution was okay up to 1932. Is this really happening?

LOL, and people continue to not actually WATCH THE VIDEO and just assume Khan meant what they want him to have meant.

He was saying precisely the opposite of "anyone who speaks to the government is an Uncle Tom".
  • Options
    LayneLayne Posts: 163
    The flocking of left wingers here to offer up various unconvincing defences of Khan shows they are panicking about the latest revelation. Who exactly was Sadiq Khan referring to as "Uncle Toms" if he wasn't calling anyone by that term? That's an even worse argument than trying to distract by pointing to what some blogger said about traitors.
  • Options
    DixieDixie Posts: 1,221
    I've been out campaigning since 9 am and spent an hour or so with Zac. And yes, I do have a photo of him holding a pint correctly. Soft drink, mind, as he is on a 24 hour tour of London and must be sober.

The polls on 1st preference are 9 points difference, about the average in London for most elections since 2000. But Labour admit turnout will be poorer because of Livingstone.

Also, many people say the polls have a forecast turnout of 50% . I don't know how true.

Labour have told me for a while they will lose Barnet and Camden as well as Ealing and Hillingdon. They reiterated tonight. They have said Brent and Harrow under pressure too a couple of weeks ago.

Lots of senior politicians reckon turnout will be 28 to 33%. Could it really be that low? Well, Boris/Ken got 38% so it is possible. Labour are fearful at 34 and under. Tories expect 34 or under!

But 2nd prefs may make Khan nailed on.

I still maintain Tories will win Merton. Data says so. Famous last words?
  • Options
    chestnut said:

It's tough but eventually we get a backbone!

I've never heard such patetic drivelling in my life! Does someone dress you in the morning?
  • Options
    9% counted Trump 54.2% Cruz 32.8%

In 2 minutes all Indiana polls will be closed
  • Options

Tim_B said:

Isn't this fun!
    In fifteen minutes we can call 57 delegates for Trump, and go to bed.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,018
    Tim_B said:

9% counted Trump 54.2% Cruz 32.8%

In 2 minutes all Indiana polls will be closed

They are counting with polls still open?
  • Options
    LayneLayne Posts: 163
    Danny565 said:

SeanT said:

UNCLE TOMS

Mind boggling.

Have you actually WATCHED the whole video, rather than the out-of-context snippet from Guido Fawkes?

Please tell me in what way he is saying "moderate Muslims" are Uncle Toms. If anything, he seems to be calling the more hardline groups Uncle Toms, since he says it after a question about why the government is only talking to moderate groups like the Quilliam Foundation, rather than groups "that don't agree with the government's stance".
    Danny565 said:

SeanT said:

UNCLE TOMS

Mind boggling.

He is saying Quilliam are Uncle Toms but the government needs to speak to people beyond them too. It Is the classic politician answer of not directly answering the question, so you avoid saying something that upsets the viewer base.
  • Options
    SirBenjaminSirBenjamin Posts: 238
    "One thing that is surprising in the polling is how few second preference vote Zac appears to be picking up. Given he made his name as an environmental campaigner you’d expect that quite a significant proportion of Green first choices would go his way. That doesn’t seem to be happening. "

Surprising? Most Greens won't care one iota about Zac's environmental credentials when there's blind, unthinking Toryphobia to be exercised!

Green second preferences will break about 83% Khan, 6% Cannabis, 5% Womens Equality and 2% Lib Dem, I would imagine.
  • Options
    And Trump is projected to win Indiana.
    The republican primary race is OVER.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Layne said:

He is saying Quilliam are Uncle Toms but the government needs to speak to people beyond them too. It Is the classic politician answer of not directly answering the question, so you avoid saying something that upsets the viewer base.

Why would he be insulting someone, in the context of defending working with them? It makes no sense.
  • Options
    Fox calls INdiana for Trump
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,636
    Roger said:

As a moderate Muslim* I can't tell you how much I'm fuming at Sadiq Khan right now.

*I'm not religious at all but the EDL/Britain First would hate me on sight alone.

I do find it odd that if you've faced those sorts of insults and accepted them with equaminity you don't find it odd that the the posters here think the Jews should be apoplectic about having Israel drawn on a map in Texas. Is it that you think they're more delicate?
    I'm a very placid guy, it takes a lot to upset me.

Usually the people that insult me, I can ignore and laugh at them, because I'm smug and superior. Ditto any comments on a website. For example SeanT had called me a traitor for backing Remain, I laugh at that because if it looks close/leave might win, Sean will back Remain became he's worried about his house price.

But Sadiq Khan, who can be argued is about to become the most important/visible Muslim in the country uses that phrase, I'm expecting a higher standard, a better example.

It's the equivalent of any Jew who criticises Israel is labelled a self hating Jew.

It is wrong and deeply offensive.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

PA calls 5 of 9 CDs for him, 0% reporting in three and the last - CD2 - Trump leads by 10% 'only'
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Speedy said:

And Trump is projected to win Indiana.
    The republican primary race is OVER.

I doubt Cruz will be endorsing Trump any time soon. Today he said that virtually every word that comes out of Trump's mouth is a lie.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

CNN as well.
  • Options

Roger said:

I do find it odd that if you've faced those sorts of insults and accepted them with equaminity you don't find it odd that the the posters here think the Jews should be apoplectic about having Israel drawn on a map in Texas. Is it that you think they're more delicate?

Usually the people that insult me, I can ignore and laugh at them, because I'm smug and superior. Ditto any comments on a website. For example SeanT had called me a traitor for backing Remain, I laugh at that because if it looks close/leave might win, Sean will back Remain became he's worried about his house price.

But Sadiq Khan, who can be argued is about to become the most important/visible Muslim in the country uses that phrase, I'm expecting a higher standard, a better example.

It's the equivalent of any Jew who criticises Israel is labelled a self hating Jew.

Is it also wrong and deeply offensive to run Sir Lynton Crosby of Google Alert's campaign for Goldsmith, playing on latent anti-Muslim feeling?
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Christ, I honestly thought even diehard right-wingers knew better than to just take something the Daily Mail said at face value.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    AndyJS said:

EPG said:

SeanT said:

UNCLE TOMS

Can't quite compute. It's beyond bad, on reflection. What thought process gets you to that place? What does he really think of white

AndyJS said:
    Do you need a lie down?
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Roger said:

chestnut said:

It's tough but eventually we get a backbone!

I've never heard such patetic drivelling in my life! Does someone dress you in the morning?
    Roger - you've been pissing your knickers for days. Along with the other apologists on here.
  • Options
    CNN Indiana exit poll

GOP
    Trump 53 (projected winner)
    Cruz 38
    Kasich 8.5
    http://edition.cnn.com/election/primaries/polls/in/Rep

Dems
    Clinton 44
    Sanders 56

http://edition.cnn.com/election/primaries/polls/in/Dem
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Corbyn is utter utter poison

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/politics/7125220/Jeremy-Corbyn-demanded-Israel-be-cut-off-by-the-rest-of-the-world-and-was-reportedly-praised-by-Hamas.html
    As for Khan

He clearly made the remark, he has clearly stated on another occasion to a different audience that those words are offensive and racist.

Another example of him saying different things to different audiences.

Utterly, utterly depressing to see certain left leaning people on here excusing the man.

Tribal politics has hit a new low last couple of weeks.
  • Options

Tim_B said:

PA calls 5 of 9 CDs for him, 0% reporting in three and the last - CD2 - Trump leads by 10% 'only'
    I think Trump might win all CD's.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

"One thing that is surprising in the polling is how few second preference vote Zac appears to be picking up. Given he made his name as an environmental campaigner you’d expect that quite a significant proportion of Green first choices would go his way. That doesn’t seem to be happening. "

Surprising? Most Greens won't care one iota about Zac's environmental credentials when there's blind, unthinking Toryphobia to be exercised!

Green second preferences will break about 83% Khan, 6% Cannabis, 5% Womens Equality and 2% Lib Dem, I would imagine.

Trouble with Zac is that he's too laid back in his demeanor and and shows little enthusiasm for the Job of Mayor.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    The British political class and its media are chock-full of Uncle Toms where a certain lobby and the foreign fascist regime it fights for are concerned.

Hasbara handbook.

Sadiq Khan was just saying you've got to talk to your opponents and not just fake opponents that you own. The Quilliam Foundation recruited Tommy Robinson, right? Smiles all round at Thames House.
  • Options
  • Options
    Layne said:

The flocking of left wingers here to offer up various unconvincing defences of Khan shows they are panicking about the latest revelation. Who exactly was Sadiq Khan referring to as "Uncle Toms" if he wasn't calling anyone by that term? That's an even worse argument than trying to distract by pointing to what some blogger said about traitors.

Watch the video.
    The answer is that he was talking about nobody, about a policy he said you couldn't follow, and that he didn't follow. Instead, he said you need to speak to critical friends like Quilliam. It is a lesson in two things: First, try not to use the language of slavery and Jim Crow in South-Eastern England. Second, politicians should never talk about hypotheticals.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Tim_B said:

I think Trump might win all CD's.
    99% certain he will. The state doesn't vary enough for him not to.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:
    If Trump loses a county it will be around Fort Wayne.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

CNN Indiana exit poll

GOP
    Cruz 38
    Kasich 8.5

Dems
    Clinton 44
    Sanders 56

More evidence that Trump may get to the winning post before Hillary.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,375
    There seems to be a new YouGov of Labour members, showing that Corbyn would get 62% if there was a new leadership election. Confirms my own impression:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/may/03/jeremy-corbyns-critics-abandon-hopes-of-leadership-challenge
  • Options

There seems to be a new YouGov of Labour members, showing that Corbyn would get 62% if there was a new leadership election. Confirms my own impression:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/may/03/jeremy-corbyns-critics-abandon-hopes-of-leadership-challenge

McDonnell is the only logical alternative before 2020
  • Options
    RCP have called Indiana for Trump with only 7% of the vote counted.
  • Options
    EPG said:

Layne said:

Watch the video.
    Why bother with that when you can just read the Daily Mail headline?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

CNN Indiana exit poll

GOP
    Cruz 38
    Kasich 8.5

Dems
    Clinton 44
    Sanders 56

More evidence that Trump may get to the winning post before Hillary.
    Yes, could be though Hillary leading Sanders 52% 48% with 11% in
    http://edition.cnn.com/election/primaries/states/in/
  • Options
    Dixie said:

I've been out campaigning since 9 am and spent an hour or so with Zac. And yes, I do have a photo of him holding a pint correctly. Soft drink, mind, as he is on a 24 hour tour of London and must be sober.

The polls on 1st preference are 9 points difference, about the average in London for most elections since 2000. But Labour admit turnout will be poorer because of Livingstone.

Also, many people say the polls have a forecast turnout of 50% . I don't know how true.

Labour have told me for a while they will lose Barnet and Camden as well as Ealing and Hillingdon. They reiterated tonight. They have said Brent and Harrow under pressure too a couple of weeks ago.

Lots of senior politicians reckon turnout will be 28 to 33%. Could it really be that low? Well, Boris/Ken got 38% so it is possible. Labour are fearful at 34 and under. Tories expect 34 or under!

But 2nd prefs may make Khan nailed on.

I still maintain Tories will win Merton. Data says so. Famous last words?

Depends how much higher turnout is in Wimbledon as against Mitcham&Morden I guess.
  • Options
    EPG said:

Roger said:

Is it also wrong and deeply offensive to run Sir Lynton Crosby of Google Alert's campaign for Goldsmith, playing on latent anti-Muslim feeling?
    Yup, I've said it on thread and on other threads, this has been a very bad, ignoble, and divisive campaign by Zac and Sir Lynton.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

AndyJS said:
    I think the south is more likely.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    EPG said:

Layne said:

Watch the video.
    The answer is that he was talking about nobody, about a policy he said you couldn't follow, and that he didn't follow. Instead, he said you need to speak to critical friends like Quilliam. It is a lesson in two things: First, try not to use the language of slavery and Jim Crow in South-Eastern England. Second, politicians should never talk about hypotheticals.
    He prefaced his remarks by saying that he'd love to talk only to people who agreed with him, but you 'can't just talk to Uncle Tom'.

Really the only defence is that he didn't understand the term and was grasping for a phrase to describe someone warm and cuddly and somehow his brain hit on that.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

SeanT said:

UNCLE TOMS

Mind boggling.

You can't be that dim - How the feck do you apply the term "uncle Tom" to hardline groups - do you have no understanding of the term?
  • Options

https://twitter.com/election_data/status/727604642646007808
  • Options

EPG said:

Roger said:

Yup, I've said it on thread and on other threads, this has been a very bad, ignoble, and divisive campaign by Zac and Sir Lynton.
    I agree. Were I a Londoner, I would like to vote for Sadiq but couldn't vote for Labour. I would like to vote for the Conservatives who seem to be doing well in governing the country in a centrist or at least ineffectually right-wing manner, but couldn't vote for Goldsmith after this! What to do?
  • Options
    I'm calling it a night.

Cruz should drop out to preserve whatever dignity he has left.

Goodnight.
  • Options
    Jeremy Corbyn, leader of her majesty's loyal opposition

Dear fucking god........
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,427
    Speedy said:

AndyJS said:
    CNN saying he is currently behind in 2 around Fort Wayne but this really is all over.
  • Options
    Sahil Kapur
    Indiana exit polls: Trump wins moderate & somewhat conservative; Cruz wins very conservative voters. https://t.co/SV6uWNieHq
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154
    murali_s said:

Well stop posting then...
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    So, in summary, both the Republican nomination and the London Mayoralty are all over bar the mud-slinging.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Floater said:

Danny565 said:

SeanT said:

UNCLE TOMS

Mind boggling.

You can't be that dim - How the feck do you apply the term "uncle Tom" to hardline groups - do you have no understanding of the term?
    To be honest, I can't recall ever previously hearing the term used in relation to Muslims (rather than black Americans) at all.

But in any case, please explain how it makes sense that he would be calling Muslims traitors if they talked to the government, in the same sentence that he was saying how necessary it was for Muslims to talk to government. At the very time when Khan himself was in charge of the government programme that talked to moderate Muslim groups (2009).
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    So it's goodnight from me.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,799
    EPG said:

EPG said:

Roger said:

I agree. Were I a Londoner, I would like to vote for Sadiq but couldn't vote for Labour. I would like to vote for the Conservatives who seem to be doing well in governing the country in a centrist or at least ineffectually right-wing manner, but couldn't vote for Goldsmith after this! What to do?
    Fair summary - Reasonable Party/Poor Candidate vs Reasonable Candidate/Poor (or worse) Party.

Meanwhile, in Scotland SLAB's 'We're not the Tories' looks like its going to hit the buffers at high speed and with considerable violence, having been trumped by the SNP's 'We're not the English Tories'. Ha bloody ha.....serves them right.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/scottish-parliament-elections-tories-and-labour-in-tight-race-for-second-place-behind-snp-poll-finds-a7012276.html
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited May 2016
    Regarding Sadiq vs Zac, I don't really get the indignation on either side. Sadiq has some mildly awkward connections, Zac has pointed these out, albeit with no discernible electoral impact. Neither strikes me as reprehensible. They are both decent guys. I'm much more concerned about Sadiq's populist and counter-productive transport and housing policies than any alleged links to extremists. On the other side, I really can't see Zac as some kind of racist rabble-rouser, but I am unhappy about his Heathrow position.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,375

https://twitter.com/election_data/status/727604642646007808
    Ah, missed that. I doubt if it's changed much, though - I don't know anyone who's changed their view of him either way.
  • Options
    So far:

Clinton 50.5
    Sanders 49.5
  • Options
    Floater said:

Jeremy Corbyn, leader of her majesty's loyal opposition

Dear fucking god........

Just how low will Labour go in the national vote share projection on Thursday night?
  • Options
    With 17% counted, Sanders has narrowed Clinton's lead to 0.8%
This discussion has been closed.