Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

Comments

• Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,157
    On topic, Corbyn should have got ahead of this and gone the full Sister Souljah on Ken. But since he didn't, I don't really see what Labour gain by pissing off the left as well as everybody else.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,300
    edited April 2016

tlg86 said:

Has Nick 'Momentum' Palmer commented since this has blown up?

He's been conspicuous by his absence. What I don't understand about the Naz Shah case is, why was she even selected in the first place? Did they not do their due diligence on her? Or did they know full well what she believed in and thought "that's what we need to beat George Galloway?"
    I'm not sure that political parties have the resource to trawl through every candidate's social media history. Black marks are more often flagged up to the parties rather than uncovered by them.
    Bollocks...it is totally standard now for companies to do so when you apply for a job. Sure something could be hidden etc, but most of the stuff like Khan speech writer and Shah weren't posts on some obscure forum under an anonymous handle which is later revealed to be them (e.g. Louise Mensch), it was on their personal twitter and facebook accounts.
    Well quite.
    Says the lady with nearly 10,000 pbc posts and more than 100k tweets to her name. If you stood for parliament, would you expect someone to trawl through them all?
    You realise that the task can be [semi] automated right.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

On matters astronomical, I do wonder at what point the hole that Livingstone has taken delight in becomes so deep that not even light can escape it.

Sadly Stephen Hawking is in line for a Nobel prize for his theory that black holes do in fact allow energy to escape
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited April 2016
    Bordering on saying the line "you are no Conservative Mr Cameron".

"The suspicion thus arises that Mr Cameron has done favours for the unions in exchange for their support for his Remain campaign, which badly needs Left-wing support.
    Mr Cameron’s willingness to misuse Government resources and traduce his own colleagues in pursuit of a referendum victory is increasingly apparent, but this is worse still.
    He risks looking like a man so hell-bent on referendum victory that he is forgetting the party he leads and what it stands for. You are a Conservative, Prime Minister. Voters expect you to act like one. "

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/2016/04/29/david-cameron-is-a-conservative-he-should-start-acting-like-one/
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    JohnO said:

surbiton said:

Indigo said:

Livingstone blew his own head off. But the hysteria about anti-semitismand the CRISIS and what will Corbyn do to remove these disgusting left wing dinosaurs - that's all from the Bitterite wing of the party. Remember that not only did they need Labour to be trounced next week they also feel uncomfortable with the Hillsborough inquest triumph as Blair was a leading player in keeping it surpressed.

The Crisis developed because of the amateurish handling. If Corbyn had sacked, not suspended, not thought about, not argued the toss with Milne about, but straight up SACKED Ken the second he stood up in the TV studio, and then publically, unequivocally and clearly distanced himself from his comments, it would have had a tenth of the impact it did.

The damage was done by the weaseling around trying not to suspend him, and still is being done by trying not to sack him, it gives the perception that Corbyn is sympathetic to what he said, if he isn't, he should have said so clearly and distinctly, with no soft soap.
    A Labour leader does not have the powers to sack even a mosquito. He is a servant of the Party and it should be as such.
    He might regard much of his front bench as mosquitos but he certainly has the power to sack (or swat) them.
    He cannot sack them from the Party. He should sack them from the shadow cabinet.
  • Options
    @SkyNews: Jeremy Corbyn has no comment when asked what he intends to do about accusations of anti-Semitism in the Labour Party https://t.co/guqNXzPTpt

What crisis?
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    taffys said:

Scott_P said:

@tamcohen: EXC Livingstone: 'I suspect most pro-Israel MPs have no idea about the history. They don't teach 1930s Zionist policy in Israeli schools'

Is he re-making Journey to the Centre of the Earth?
    I saw that at the pictures, with Doug McClure - I loved it and hence won't watch it again.
    There'll be a few shocked people on here if this affair doesn't hit the labour vote next week.
    Having seen the response to Ken, if there's little impact - I won't be surprised at all. :disappointed:
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Scott_P said:

@SkyNews: Jeremy Corbyn has no comment when asked what he intends to do about accusations of anti-Semitism in the Labour Party https://t.co/guqNXzPTpt

What crisis?

He's going to lose his temper at some point...on wait...

Roll on a month long GE campaign...they are going to need the Elvis impersonator on permanent retainer.
  • Options

Indigo said:

dr_spyn said:

Just as I thought Ken Livingstone was the sole Westminster Village Idiot, up pops John Major.
    /twitter.com/politicshome/status/726000556377034752

The perks of not needing to get elected any more, you can insult half the electorate and not care.
    It's another WTF comment - seriously, what are these Tories thinking? Trying to burn their own Party down? One can disagree without resorting to this level of stupidity.
    They think that half the REMAIN voters are going to come from the Conservatives. Oh dear. Something that is probably a mathematical impossibility unless turnout is under 50% and REMAIN will be f***d if that happens by the kipper wedge.
    Remain do seem to be getting more and more rattled --> incoherent the longer the polls stay deadlocked. Final couple of weeks of June should be fun!
    Is it REMAIN running this or the Govt of Cameron and Osborne? We see very little from the REMAIN HQ folk, it is largely/wholly Govt driven.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,079
    I think Don has the right of it. Ken, who I used to have time for, is a man child. Petty and irrational , but also with an older man's bitterness and bile. It is possible to be critical of the Israeli government without being anti semitic, so that if someone accuses you it is easy to dismiss. His words and some defenders do not support that.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Naz Shah's "apology" is a fine example of Taqiyah as are Khan's attempt to distance himself from Ken. The idea that Khan will be a unifying person in London is complete bullshit taken from the Labour propaganda sheet, Don. He wants to impose racial quotas in the workplace, in what way is that a unifying policy.

Pull the other one and lets hear from Henry G Manson for a real insight into Labour, not this propaganda.

Your anti-Muslim sentiment knows no bounds. In what respect has Sadiq Khan done something wrong ?
  • Options

I like this concept of 'Nazis for Zionism'

A bit like fornicating to keep your virgnity in tact.

Well we have Tories for Palmer before, so stranger things have happened ;-)
    That was such a success.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    He wants to impose racial quotas in the workplace, in what way is that a unifying policy.

Can we really be assured Kahn will not use the mayoralty to stuff islamist bigots into positions of power?
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Scott_P said:

What crisis?

BBC - Labour will get a grip on anti-Semitism, says Tom Watson.

Whose in charge?
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    kle4 said:

I think Don has the right of it. Ken, who I used to have time for, is a man child. Petty and irrational , but also with an older man's bitterness and bile. It is possible to be critical of the Israeli government without being anti semitic, so that if someone accuses you it is easy to dismiss. His words and some defenders do not support that.

It is not possible to be critical of Israel and not be targeted as anti-Semitic. The bully boys will be out in force in no time.

Even the bloody expression has been hijacked.

• Options
    Again, why the hell doesn't Jezza realise that getting in a temper tandrum over the press looks terrible. All he had to do was give a 30s soundbite to camera saying something about he takes these issues very seriously and have to be dealt with, instead we have the old fool stuck trying to run away but baffled by the door.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,634
    Has anyone heard from Reek lately, what are his thoughts on all of this, I don't remember seeing anything from him condemning Ken or Naz yesterday. Maybe he has fully transformed now.
  • Options
    taffys said:

He wants to impose racial quotas in the workplace, in what way is that a unifying policy.

Can we really be assured Kahn will not use the mayoralty to stuff islamist bigots into positions of power?

He is a Pakistani by origin, not a German. Hence, Khan and not Kahn. Learn it. You will be using it often over the next 4 years.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,187

Indigo said:

dr_spyn said:

Just as I thought Ken Livingstone was the sole Westminster Village Idiot, up pops John Major.

The perks of not needing to get elected any more, you can insult half the electorate and not care.
    It's another WTF comment - seriously, what are these Tories thinking? Trying to burn their own Party down? One can disagree without resorting to this level of stupidity.
    They think that half the REMAIN voters are going to come from the Conservatives. Oh dear. Something that is probably a mathematical impossibility unless turnout is under 50% and REMAIN will be f***d if that happens by the kipper wedge.
    Remain do seem to be getting more and more rattled --> incoherent the longer the polls stay deadlocked. Final couple of weeks of June should be fun!
    If 45 to 50% of 2015 Tories vote Remain that could be around half the Remain total though most turnout figures show 65 to 70% 9 or 10 certain to vote
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,927
    edited April 2016

SeanT said:

And, incredibly, they seem determined to have this massive internal squabble over which of Hitler's early policies Labour supports, in full view of the public, on social media

Yes, if only Hitler has stuck to what he wrote in Mein Kampf, there'd apparently have been no problem.
    Back when he was perfectly sane, rational and reasonable... Before the "madness" set in...
  • Options
    Jahadi Jez's GE campaign strategy...

Hello I'm from Sky News...Goodbye

Hello I'm from the Daily Mail..Goodbye

Hello I'm from the Telegraph...Goodbye

Hell I'm from CH4 News...Goodbye

Hello I'm from the BBC...I might talk to you if you are nice to me.
  • Options
    Amazingly enough its possible for all of the theories - conspiracy and cockup - to be correct. We know that the Bitterati /Progress are planning a putsch against Corbyn after the local elections and that they appeared to be anstier than ever when the polls swung and it started look like the disaster they predicted wasn't coming. We also know that Momentum see plots from the right in everything and anything (whilst they form their party within a party and plot against the right).

So yes, I think it is fair comment that the CRISIS!!! is being whipped up by the right to undermine Corbyn. Its also correct that Ken is a self-aggrandising idiot who thinks quoting Hitler is a Good Thing. So has Ken blown his own head off? Yes. Has he done so in response to anti-Corbyn hysteria? Yes.

And as others have said, lets take accusations of prejudice from Tories under advisement. Its not that long ago that Boris was making anti-African assertions against Obama.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

surbiton said:

On the subject of whether Hitler was in favour of Zionism, and indeed actively supported it before 1932, which seems to be Ken's point:

This academic book maybe of interest: http://www.press.uillinois.edu/books/catalog/52ykk7ny9780252061479.html

It argues that there was some support for the activities of German Zionist Jews within Nazi circles, but this took the form of a definite policy in 1935 (page 192-194) [and not 1932], when Heydrich of the SS published "The Visible Enemy". The only point was that Zionist groups in Germany might encourage more emigration of jews from Germany (and the SS were worried that rates of emigration were starting to drop as the Germany economy picked up). Note though that this was a SS policy, and not necessarily the view of the whole regime or indeed Hitler himself.

You can read it on Google Books.

Even the book Ken is pleading in his defence does not support his 'Hitler was a Zionist' theory.....some Nazis saw Zionists as 'useful idiots' in helping getting round trade bans, and seeing themselves as 'Jews' rather than 'Germans' - unlike the vast majority of German Jews - but Hitler's views on Jews was well established....
    I see. It is OK if it was only a SS policy. That does not mean the Nazis. Something was indeed fishy...
    Do you not understand the first rule of politics, that when you are defending your party and excusing your MPs by saying Hitler wasn't so bad, or Hitler actually meant that, not this, or actually Hitler changed his mind later, then it really doesn't matter what a single fucking thing you are actually saying, thinking or explaining, all the public will see is a supposedly mainstream political party wheeling out ADOLF HITLER as a debating point, time and again, like the worst nutters of the BNP or Combat 88.

You won't get a hearing, you will get people running away in horror.
    I have defended no one in the Labour Party. I have condemned Naz and I support Livingstone's suspension. Go and find your Thai comfort !
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    surbiton said:

kle4 said:

It is not possible to be critical of Israel and not be targeted as anti-Semitic. The bully boys will be out in force in no time.

The problem is - 99% of the people who criticise Israel do NOT criticise the Palestinians. That is 'anti-semitic', 'hypocritic' or whatever. With such reporting bias it is not surprising that the word is now used for any criticism of Israel.
  • Options
    Good question from Andrew Neil on daily politics to former US ambassador to NATO

'If we were to go to the back of the queue on a trade deal, who is ahead of us?'

'That's a good question! And it wouldn't stay there very long'

Neil 'there is no queue!'

How does Remain respond to this?
  • Options
    surbiton said:

MaxPB said:

Naz Shah's "apology" is a fine example of Taqiyah as are Khan's attempt to distance himself from Ken. The idea that Khan will be a unifying person in London is complete bullshit taken from the Labour propaganda sheet, Don. He wants to impose racial quotas in the workplace, in what way is that a unifying policy.

Pull the other one and lets hear from Henry G Manson for a real insight into Labour, not this propaganda.

Your anti-Muslim sentiment knows no bounds. In what respect has Sadiq Khan done something wrong ?
    Hire people from the Lutfur Rahman campaign, hired a person who said the murder of Lee Rigby was an MI5 conspiracy, tried to get a now convicted terrorist supporter off the hook, previously supported Ken when he was under investigation for antisemitism while Mayor, associated himself with an Imam who calls for a boycott of Ahmadi businesses and shops. Policy wise the idea of an ethnic quota is disturbing.

Your and your party's pursuit of Muslim votes is turning Labour into the new nasty party. Maybe the demographics are going to change in the next 10 years and Labour will be swept to power with 4-6m Muslim votes in addition to those that they hold on to from the current support, but you have to ask yourself if it is really worth it.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,008
    Roger said:

The editor of the Jewish Chronicle appeared on a phone-in this morning and was asked if criticism of Israel was anti semitic. He said it wasn't. He was then asked if suggesting that the State of Israel had no legitimacy was anti Semitic and he said that wasn't either-many learned Rabbis held that view. He was then asked if that was the case 'what was the connection between anti Zionism and anti Semitism'? He replied 'it was when criticism of Israel moved onto Jewish world domination which it usually does'.

The left has always been against racism and prejudice. This is what attracted many of us to left wing politics in the first place. Usually South Africa and apartheid which led on to the ANL and so on. At any fascist or National front demonstration it was always the left who turned out to confront them. Racism homophobia and all other prejudices against minorities have always been faced down by the left.

By contrast the right has by definition been the home of the homophobic and the racist. Read Guido or the Daily Mail and it spews from every orifice. Littlejohn claimed he was the first one to draw anyone's attention to Labour's anti Semitism. The hater of all haters Richard Littlejohn. If that wasn't bizarre enough apparently the real credit belonged to Guido!

Can these people and their fellow travellers really judge anti Semitism or any other racism in the Labour Party? What do they know about anti Semitism? We've all heard people use the word 'Paki' and seen the endemic racism which poses as 'anti-Islamsism' You don't have to leave this site. Who apart from the very youngest hasn't heard someone tell an Asian 'To go home'. Has anyone heard of a Jew being told to go home or that they're after world domination?

So what's it all about? Everyone knows a Jew. Most probably don't even know they're Jews. They look like everyone else they're well integrated and often professional. More often than not reasonably well off so no petty crime to worry about so what's not to feel comfortable with?

And that's really it. It's a free hit. Virtue signalling at it's worst. The first time the 'right' could pretend to be on the right side of racism. How grotesque

Very well said Roger. There is a hysterical rightwing bandwagon rolling here. It is sickeningly hypocritical. Particularly as some participants are fiercely anti-muslim.

Having said that, I'd like to see Livingstone permanently out of the Labour party. He has become a liability.
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

surbiton said:

kle4 said:

The problem is - 99% of the people who criticise Israel do NOT criticise the Palestinians. That is 'anti-semitic', 'hypocritic' or whatever. With such reporting bias it is not surprising that the word is now used for any criticism of Israel.
    I repeat what I wrote yesterday. The Palestinians did not kill 6 million Jews. Europeans did. The Palestinians were driven out of their homes and their land and are still living in occupation under International law.

When did you last condemn Israel ?
  • Options

Good question from Andrew Neil on daily politics to former US ambassador to NATO

By showing Toby Young being flummoxed by the same guy...
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154

Tehran TV? How long do you want - the full hour?
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,907
    edited April 2016
    SeanT said:

Roger said:

The editor of the Jewish Chronicle appeared on a phone-in this morning and was asked if criticism of Israel was anti semitic. He said it wasn't. He was then asked if suggesting that the State of Israel had no legitimacy was anti Semitic and he said that wasn't either-many learned Rabbis held that view. He was then asked if that was the case 'what was the connection between anti Zionism and anti Semitism'? He replied 'it was when criticism of Israel moved onto Jewish world domination which it usually does'.

Can these people and their fellow travellers really judge anti Semitism or any other racism in the Labour Party? What do they know about anti Semitism? We've all heard people use the word 'Paki' and seen the endemic racism which poses as 'anti-Islamsism' You don't have to leave this site. Who apart from the very youngest hasn't heard someone tell an Asian 'To go home'. Has anyone heard of a Jew being told to go home or that they're after world domination?

So what's it all about? Everyone knows a Jew. Most probably don't even know they're Jews. They look like everyone else they're well integrated and often professional. More often than not reasonably well off so no petty crime to worry about so what's not to feel comfortable with?

And that's really it. It's a free hit. Virtue signalling at it's worst. The first time the 'right' could pretend to be on the right side of racism. How sad

Roger, I'm sure you meant well, but this is just bonkers. For a start you claim there is no anti-Semitism in the UK? Really??

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2964984/Fight-Jewish-scum-Shocking-anti-Semitism-streets-BRITAIN-Jewish-journalist-spat-abused-stalked-happens-Copenhagen.html

The rest of your prolix nonsense can thus be ignored.
    I didn't say that. I was saying this spat is confected. I don't believe a word of that article. I know the area well I have family in Rusholme. It's very popular with Jews on Saturday night and unless this person was behaving in a very anti social way he could have walked around there all night dressed in anything he wanted and no one would have raised an eyebrow. There are about 100 Asian restaurants in a line. It's just Daily Mail crap
  • Options
    @Claire_Phipps: Jeremy Corbyn: 'I am totally, completely and absolutely against antisemitism' https://t.co/AxNaGkFp3O

OK, prove it...
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,927
    edited April 2016
    chestnut said:
    Are the fabled "Latvian homophobes"? :open_mouth:
  • Options

Tehran TV? How long do you want - the full hour?
    LOL...
  • Options
    Roger said:

SeanT said:

Roger said:

And that's really it. It's a free hit. Virtue signalling at it's worst. The first time the 'right' could pretend to be on the right side of racism. How sad

Roger, I'm sure you meant well, but this is just bonkers. For a start you claim there is no anti-Semitism in the UK? Really??

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2964984/Fight-Jewish-scum-Shocking-anti-Semitism-streets-BRITAIN-Jewish-journalist-spat-abused-stalked-happens-Copenhagen.html

I didn't say that. I was saying this spat is confecteted. I don't believe a word of that article. I know the area well I have family in Rusholme. It's very popular with Jews on Saturday night and unless this person was behaving in a very anti social way he could have walked around there all night dressed in anything he wanted and no one would have raised an eyebrow. There are about 100 Asian restaurants in a line. It's just Daily Mail crap
    I think you have just, er confecteted "confecteted"....
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@Claire_Phipps: Jeremy Corbyn: 'I am totally, completely and absolutely against antisemitism' https://t.co/AxNaGkFp3O

OK, prove it...

By breaking the world long jump record ?
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Has Nick 'Momentum' Palmer commented since this has blown up?

He's been conspicuous by his absence. What I don't understand about the Naz Shah case is, why was she even selected in the first place? Did they not do their due diligence on her? Or did they know full well what she believed in and thought "that's what we need to beat George Galloway?"
    I'm not sure that political parties have the resource to trawl through every candidate's social media history. Black marks are more often flagged up to the parties rather than uncovered by them.
    Bollocks...it is totally standard now for companies to do so when you apply for a job. Sure something could be hidden etc, but most of the stuff like Khan speech writer and Shah weren't posts on some obscure forum under an anonymous handle which is later revealed to be them (e.g. Louise Mensch), it was on their personal twitter and facebook accounts.
    Well quite.
    Says the lady with nearly 10,000 pbc posts and more than 100k tweets to her name. If you stood for parliament, would you expect someone to trawl through them all?
    They'll find 80k cat pix :smiley:
  • Options

Roger said:

SeanT said:

Roger said:

I didn't say that. I was saying this spat is confecteted. I don't believe a word of that article. I know the area well I have family in Rusholme. It's very popular with Jews on Saturday night and unless this person was behaving in a very anti social way he could have walked around there all night dressed in anything he wanted and no one would have raised an eyebrow. There are about 100 Asian restaurants in a line. It's just Daily Mail crap
    Thanks!
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,169

it's time Livingstone definitively retired from politics - he used to have considerable strengths and was in my opinion a goo Mayor, but he's drifted into a commentator lazily saying whatever comes into his head.

The problem is that this came into his head over 30 years ago.

How is this going down among your friends in the Progressive Alliance of Socialists and Democrats on the continent? What do the German or Danish media think about the state of the Labour Party?
  • Options

"The suspicion thus arises that Mr Cameron has done favours for the unions in exchange for their support for his Remain campaign, which badly needs Left-wing support.
    Mr Cameron’s willingness to misuse Government resources and traduce his own colleagues in pursuit of a referendum victory is increasingly apparent, but this is worse still.
    He risks looking like a man so hell-bent on referendum victory that he is forgetting the party he leads and what it stands for. You are a Conservative, Prime Minister. Voters expect you to act like one. "

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/2016/04/29/david-cameron-is-a-conservative-he-should-start-acting-like-one/

What I find astonishing is Cameron saying that we need the EU to prevent his own HMG from itself.

WTF WTF WTF
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited April 2016
    It's reassuring to know Ken believes Hitler wasn't mad before 1932.
  • Options

Indigo said:

dr_spyn said:

Is it REMAIN running this or the Govt of Cameron and Osborne? We see very little from the REMAIN HQ folk, it is largely/wholly Govt driven.
    I haven't seen Rose since his gaffe-fest - who else is there bar Cameron/Osborne/Chuka?
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

OK, prove it...

By breaking the world long jump record ?
    Running away from Sky News isn't exactly the best way of doing so...
  • Options

Indigo said:

dr_spyn said:

The problem they will have with this is at the end of May the Government will go into purdah for the last month of the campaign.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

TBH, the moment someone uses the word Zionist - I ignore them. Talk about disagreements with the Israeli government all you want, I'll pay attention.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Roger said:

SeanT said:

Roger said:

Thanks!
    For a moment there I feared you might be channeling George W Bush.....
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Excellent article Donald. If you still keep in touch with Nicky Gavron tell her she has a very talented daughter.
  • Options

'If we were to go to the back of the queue on a trade deal, who is ahead of us?'
    'That's a good question! And it wouldn't stay there very long'
    Neil 'there is no queue!'

Mr Volker was well informed and spoke about the need for us be in the EU to work for American interests but pointed out that the USA may have to discriminate between "safe countries like us and other EU countries. Europe cannot be treated a sone block for security..
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,139

You usually find that the long term impact of a story is in inverse relationship to the amount of hyperactive comments raised on here and I expect this is no different .

Certainly has the frothers excited
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,601
    Roger said:

Excellent article Donald. If you still keep in touch with Nicky Gavron tell her she has a very talented daughter.

I agree. A very good piece.
  • Options

Indigo said:

dr_spyn said:

The problem they will have with this is at the end of May the Government will go into purdah for the last month of the campaign.
    Shush... that is a great point and the REMAIN team have not had much to do up until then.... I think it starts in 3 weeks.
  • Options

Indigo said:

dr_spyn said:

I haven't seen Rose since his gaffe-fest - who else is there bar Cameron/Osborne/Chuka?
    There is the REMAIN strategy head Ryan, the same chap from South Africa who headed up the Lib Dem 2015 GE campaign. Ok now stop laughing, that is unkind.
  • Options
    http://www.bbc.com/news/business-36167289

Eurozone growth picks up to 0.6% in the first quarter.
  • Options
    Roger said:

The left has always been against racism and prejudice.

People on the left are just prejudiced as those on the right, it's just the targets are different. Look at the way the left goes on about "toffs", for example, at the Crewe by-election. From Wikipedia:

"The Labour Party ran a personal class-based campaign against the Conservative candidate, calling him "the Tarporley Toff", "Lord Snooty", "Tory Boy Timpson".[20] Labour supporters donned top hats to mock Timpson, whose family own Timpson, a national shoe repair and key-cutting business.[21] This has been viewed by some social commentators as a form of reverse snobbery. Dunwoody, who arrived for the campaign from her 6-acre (24,000 m2) holding in Wales, was termed "One of us",[22] as she was daughter of the deceased Labour MP. The campaign was criticised by a number of national newspapers, including the left-leaning Guardian[23] as well as The Times,[24] while Dunwoody herself was confronted by Jeremy Paxman on Newsnight over the fact that she has an entry in Burke's Peerage and Baronetage.[25]"

• Options

I'm having some non-political problems at the moment, so haven't had much time to comment this week, but I agree with Don, and I also agree with Lansman that it's time Livingstone definitively retired from politics - he used to have considerable strengths and was in my opinion a goo Mayor, but he's drifted into a commentator lazily saying whatever comes into his head.

The dangers of going on too long.
  • Options

it's time Livingstone definitively retired from politics - he used to have considerable strengths and was in my opinion a goo Mayor, but he's drifted into a commentator lazily saying whatever comes into his head.

The problem is that this came into his head over 30 years ago.

How is this going down among your friends in the Progressive Alliance of Socialists and Democrats on the continent? What do the German or Danish media think about the state of the Labour Party?
    The Buzzfeed article on this for USA readers is very funny https://www.buzzfeed.com/hayesbrown/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-anti-semitism-fight-en?utm_term=.rc9q8yl0V#.jtbrndgWN
    Mann chased Livingstone — who by the way sits on the Labour National Executive Committee, which is like the DNC or RNC in the U.S. — all the way into a TV studio, telling him to “go back and check what Hitler did! Go back and check what Hitler did!”
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    edited April 2016
    Nicely written piece, Don.

Yesterday's thread contained some heated and ill-considered wording on the issues of Palestinians and antisemitism. Like you, I feel strongly for the Palestinians as a people - their living at an unfortunate time in history for them, and having routinely appalling leadership since the creation of Israel. I also have much sympathy for the Jewish communities which suffered centuries of pogroms and discrimination even before the holocaust.

It has to be possible to criticize both the Israeli government and the Palestinian leadership - either separately or jointly - without implying you are an anti-Semite or islamophobic. It has, also, to be possible to say that, where the power of the ballot box is denied to an entire people and oppression occurs, armed rebellion may be justified, without being labelled a terrorist-lover. Similarly, one has to be able to talk to your enemies without being labelled their friend. In the course of my career, I have had to talk to senior members of the Palestinian Liberation Army and Hizbollah at times when both were labelled terrorist organizations. I have also had many meetings with very senior officials of Saddam's regime. None of that makes me a terrorist, but some of it may have given me useful insights on the way forward.

Of course, many of those making the most heated and somewhat ill-worded accusations also know this, but cannot resist the opportunity to score political points. This always depresses me, as it devalues politics in general and the individuals involved, while also diminishing the prospects of much-needed radical and pragmatic debate on how we are going to tackle the truly wicked problems underlying the issues.
  • Options

Two of my students had not heard of the Ed Stone.

Fools. The funniest part of the election.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,756
    surbiton said:

How does that compare with the UK?
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,906
    kle4 said:

I agree 100%
  • Options

You usually find that the long term impact of a story is in inverse relationship to the amount of hyperactive comments raised on here and I expect this is no different .

Sadly Probably true
  • Options
    The World at One ‎@BBCWorldatOne
    Austrian ambassador on border controls with Italy: "we are ready to establish security measures if need be" to manage "massive influx" #wato
  • Options
    MTimT said:

Yesterday's thread contained some heated and ill-considered wording on the issues of Palestinians and antisemitism. Like you, I feel strongly for the Palestinians as a people - their living at an unfortunate time in history for them, and having routinely appalling leadership since the creation of Israel. I also have much sympathy for the Jewish communities which suffered centuries of pogroms and discrimination even before the holocaust.

It has to be possible to criticize both the Israeli government and the Palestinian leadership - either separately or jointly - without implying you are an anti-Semite or islamophobic. It has, also, to be possible to say that, where the power of the ballot box is denied to an entire people and oppression occurs, armed rebellion may be justified, without being labelled a terrorist-lover.

Of course, many of those making the most heated and somewhat ill-worded accusations also know this, but cannot resist the opportunity to score political points. This always depresses me, as it devalues politics in general and the individuals involved, while also diminishing the prospects of much-needed radical and pragmatic debate on how we are going to tackle the truly wicked problems underlying the issues.

I've never ever heard a phone-in about this subject that isn't a shout-fest. I switch off.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,326
    SeanT said:

Ah, so that's alright then.

"Evening Standard reports that the book Ken Livingstone may be referring to - in his defence - is writings by the American Marxist historian Lenni Brenner, who wrote the 2002 book 51 DOCUMENTS: ZIONIST COLLABORATION WITH THE NAZIS"

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2016/apr/29/labour-antisemitism-crisis-party-fallout-ken-livingstone-suspension-live

Ken says he acquired the insight 30 years ago:

Ken Livingstone has told Sky News he would tell the Labour inquiry that he has been making the connection between Adolf Hitler and Zionism for 30 years, since he first read a book on the link.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,632

No, Cameron has inadvertently helped the Leave campaign by backing down trade union legislation, because his actions will potentially help Leave mount a stronger appeal to those on the left.

The questionable and certainly exaggerated argument being put by the Labour IN campaign is that leaving the EU will expose the UK to the full force of a Conservative government, with one example being the consequences of the loss of provisions of the EU guaranteeing rights of unions. Yet if this Government can't even get through legislation on the relatively minor issue of preventing unions from collecting their fees at source through parliament, it hardly suggests that this Government would be able to go far further in the absence of EU legislation, as the Labour IN campaign suggests would happen.

• Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''It has to be possible to criticize both the Israeli government and the Palestinian leadership - either separately or jointly - without implying you are an anti-Semite or islamophobic.''

I don;t think anybody did dispute that, does dispute that or will ever dispute that. This is a straw man.

This isn't about wanting to criticize the Israeli government. Its about wanting to traffic Israelis forcibly out of their country and wipe it off the map.

• Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,438

surbiton said:

.4% in the UK.
  • Options
    PolruanPolruan Posts: 2,083
    edited April 2016
    MTimT said:

It has to be possible to criticize both the Israeli government and the Palestinian leadership - either separately or jointly - without implying you are an anti-Semite or islamophobic. It has, also, to be possible to say that, where the power of the ballot box is denied to an entire people and oppression occurs, armed rebellion may be justified, without being labelled a terrorist-lover. Similarly, one has to be able to talk to your enemies without being labelled their friend. In the course of my career, I have had to talk to senior members of the Palestinian Liberation Army and Hizbollah at times when both were labelled terrorist organizations. I have also had many meetings with very senior officials of Saddam's regime. None of that makes me a terrorist, but some of it may have given me useful insights on the way forward.

I completely agree with that. That said, I don't think there's a time in the last couple of decades where Ken could have outlined his unusual thesis without placing himself outside acceptable debate - but the consequent witchhunt for anyone who might have expressed a view that some of his statements contained historically accurate elements wouldn't have got off the ground in a more sensible climate.

[edit: do witchhunts get off the ground in any case?]
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,113
    FPT:
    taffys said:

GIN1138 said:

dr_spyn said:

Just as I thought Ken Livingstone was the sole Westminster Village Idiot, up pops John Major. https://twitter.com/politicshome/status/726000556377034752

I always thought it was a shame all those people that lost their houses in 1992 as a direct result of Major's ERM madness didn't sue him and the Tory Party... Maybe it's not too late?
    I remember Ken Clark going cap in hand to the Bundesbank, pleading with them to cut interest rates.
    That was Norman Lamont
  • Options
    Following on from the queue question, this is another angle

Kurt Volker also pointed out that having free movement in EU is causing the U.S. to rethink immigration from UK as so many Arab, afghani and Syrians now have EU passports...
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,463
    SeanT said:

surbiton said:

On the subject of whether Hitler was in favour of Zionism, and indeed actively supported it before 1932, which seems to be Ken's point:

This academic book maybe of interest: http://www.press.uillinois.edu/books/catalog/52ykk7ny9780252061479.html

It argues that there was some support for the activities of German Zionist Jews within Nazi circles, but this took the form of a definite policy in 1935 (page 192-194) [and not 1932], when Heydrich of the SS published "The Visible Enemy". The only point was that Zionist groups in Germany might encourage more emigration of jews from Germany (and the SS were worried that rates of emigration were starting to drop as the Germany economy picked up). Note though that this was a SS policy, and not necessarily the view of the whole regime or indeed Hitler himself.

You can read it on Google Books.

Even the book Ken is pleading in his defence does not support his 'Hitler was a Zionist' theory.....some Nazis saw Zionists as 'useful idiots' in helping getting round trade bans, and seeing themselves as 'Jews' rather than 'Germans' - unlike the vast majority of German Jews - but Hitler's views on Jews was well established....
    I see. It is OK if it was only a SS policy. That does not mean the Nazis. Something was indeed fishy...
    Do you not understand the first rule of politics, that when you are defending your party and excusing your MPs by saying Hitler wasn't so bad, or Hitler actually meant that, not this, or actually Hitler changed his mind later, then it really doesn't matter what a single fucking thing you are actually saying, thinking or explaining, all the public will see is a supposedly mainstream political party wheeling out ADOLF HITLER as a debating point, time and again, like the worst nutters of the BNP or Combat 88.

You won't get a hearing, you will get people running away in horror.
    As Clegg pointed out to Ken on live TV, "you are not an academic historian, your a politician."
  • Options
    How to make friends and influence people....
  • Options

SeanT said:

Ah, so that's alright then.

"Evening Standard reports that the book Ken Livingstone may be referring to - in his defence - is writings by the American Marxist historian Lenni Brenner, who wrote the 2002 book 51 DOCUMENTS: ZIONIST COLLABORATION WITH THE NAZIS"

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2016/apr/29/labour-antisemitism-crisis-party-fallout-ken-livingstone-suspension-live

Ken says he acquired the insight 30 years ago:

Ken Livingstone has told Sky News he would tell the Labour inquiry that he has been making the connection between Adolf Hitler and Zionism for 30 years, since he first read a book on the link.
    ...and so he digs on. I believe Hitler liked dogs. That doesn't mean dog lovers supported Nazism.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

kle4 said:

I Didn't Say people Would Not Be Accused, I agree they probably will. They could easily dismiss it however with justification. Ken's comments cross a line where he cannot credibly do that

• Options
    edited April 2016
    Depressing stuff http://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/refugee-crisis-focus-shifts-to-north-africa-a-1089536.html

Interesting graphic.
    A Cheap Ticket to Europe

Migrant smugglers are quick to change routes in response to political policy shifts. Should the traffic get backed up in one area, as in Greece at the moment, other routes are promoted over social media channels. Recently, that has included the Mediterranean crossing from Libya or Egypt to the Italian island of Lampedusa.

Intelligence agencies are warning that hundreds of thousands of people are now waiting in North Africa for their chance to flee across the sea. Particularly from Libya, the dream of Europe looks closer than ever before: The often inadequately equipped boats put to sea by the migrant smugglers must only leave Libyan territorial waters 12 nautical miles from shore before sending out a distress call. Ships patrolling the waters of the southern Mediterranean as part of the EU operation Sophia must then collect them in accordance with international maritime law. Since September, some 13,000 migrants have been brought to EU territory as a result of this tactic.
  • Options
    I am enjoying the New Politics though.

• Options
    taffys said:

The shocking bit is how badly the Tories have played the Mayoral election. Kahn - given his links to extremists, and the calamity that is the Corbyn led labour party - should have been eminently beatable.

But the enthusiasm for Zac on the Right is utterly non-existent. ("Not good enough for a junior ministerial post, not good enough for London." to quote a card carrying friend of mine.)

Kahn is going to walk this, sadly.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    A tip for those concerned about the problem of legitimate criticism of the Israeli government being conflated with anti-Semitism: if you want to avoid this problem, then a good rule of thumb is that it is best to avoid citing Hitler in support of your argument.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,169

How to make friends and influence people....
    Corbyn should keep it up so that it becomes a trademark. Maybe add in some Trump style comments - "Are you from the dishonest media?"
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    kle4 said:

surbiton said:

kle4 said:

I Didn't Say people Would Not Be Accused, I agree they probably will. They could easily dismiss it however with justification. Ken's comments cross a line where he cannot credibly do that

I have discussed Israel before, many times. It has never been difficult to tell those who are merely critics of Israel from those who use the term "anti-Zionist" as a fig leaf for their anti-Semitism. The distinction on paper is nothing like the distinction in reality.

• Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,690

Kurt Volker also pointed out that having free movement in EU is causing the U.S. to rethink immigration from UK as so many Arab, afghani and Syrians now have EU passports...

Is the EU going to go to the back of the queue?
  • Options

surbiton said:

Is that annualized growth or quarter on quarter? The US published annualized figures, so they always look good in comparison with UK figures.
  • Options
    Just crunching the data, it looks like Germany accounted for around half of all EMU growth for the quarter in absolute terms. while it is proportionally 29% of the EMU economy. Germany is still hollowing out its neighbours. The monetary policy is going to overheat the German economy like it did with Ireland in 2003-2008.
  • Options

The US is currently about to loosen restrictions on EU citizens visiting the US as part of TTIP, so I'm not sure what he's on about.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,799

By wondering what a former ambassador to NATO knows about trade deals?

Then by quoting the guy several pay grades above him....

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,010

A tip for those concerned about the problem of legitimate criticism of the Israeli government being conflated with anti-Semitism: if you want to avoid this problem, then a good rule of thumb is that it is best to avoid citing Hitler in support of your argument.

Indeed - The word "Netanyahu" is probably a better place to start.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,690

Lol. Funniest thing you've said all week!!
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Just crunching the data, it looks like Germany accounted for around half of all EMU growth for the quarter in absolute terms. while it is proportionally 29% of the EMU economy. Germany is still hollowing out its neighbours. The monetary policy is going to overheat the German economy like it did with Ireland in 2003-2008.

I think that is a very real risk. Although it would have the - inadvertent and ultimately rather painful - effect of recalibrating the competitiveness of the periphery through German inflation.
  • Options

Depressing stuff http://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/refugee-crisis-focus-shifts-to-north-africa-a-1089536.html

Interesting graphic.

A Cheap Ticket to Europe

Migrant smugglers are quick to change routes in response to political policy shifts. Should the traffic get backed up in one area, as in Greece at the moment, other routes are promoted over social media channels. Recently, that has included the Mediterranean crossing from Libya or Egypt to the Italian island of Lampedusa.

Intelligence agencies are warning that hundreds of thousands of people are now waiting in North Africa for their chance to flee across the sea. Particularly from Libya, the dream of Europe looks closer than ever before: The often inadequately equipped boats put to sea by the migrant smugglers must only leave Libyan territorial waters 12 nautical miles from shore before sending out a distress call. Ships patrolling the waters of the southern Mediterranean as part of the EU operation Sophia must then collect them in accordance with international maritime law. Since September, some 13,000 migrants have been brought to EU territory as a result of this tactic.
    Lampedusa must rival Alcatraz as a natural prison, though.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    rcs1000 said:

taffys said:

The shocking bit is how badly the Tories have played the Mayoral election. Kahn - given his links to extremists, and the calamity that is the Corbyn led labour party - should have been eminently beatable.

But the enthusiasm for Zac on the Right is utterly non-existent. ("Not good enough for a junior ministerial post, not good enough for London." to quote a card carrying friend of mine.)

His name is Khan.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited April 2016

Interesting graphic.

A Cheap Ticket to Europe

And we had useful idiots on Question Time last night who laughed at the idea that many people in Africa have mobile phones.
  • Options

kle4 said:

surbiton said:

kle4 said:

I have discussed Israel before, many times. It has never been difficult to tell those who are merely critics of Israel from those who use the term "anti-Zionist" as a fig leaf for their anti-Semitism. The distinction on paper is nothing like the distinction in reality.

Quite so.
  • Options
    JohnO said:

rcs1000 said:

taffys said:

His name is Khan.
    Yeah, I'm an idiot.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

taffys said:

Hopefully we can convince Brady to run next time. She's too good for the spammers.
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

I think that is a very real risk. Although it would have the - inadvertent and ultimately rather painful - effect of recalibrating the competitiveness of the periphery through German inflation.
    Before we get too carried away by one quarter's numbers, these were based on only 2 months' data and I suspect may look less impressive when March figures are added. Moreover, there are good reasons for thinking one-off factors pushed activity into Q1 and out of Q2, so...

• Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    rcs1000 said:

JohnO said:

rcs1000 said:

taffys said:

His name is Khan.
    Yeah, I'm an idiot.
    More an idtoi.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    rcs1000 said:

The US is currently about to loosen restrictions on EU citizens visiting the US as part of TTIP, so I'm not sure what he's on about.
    I didn't hear the interview, but Plato's summary of what he said makes zero sense. For one thing, the biggest problem with Islamic terrorrism in the UK has almost nothing to do with EU passports; it's home-grown and has Pakistani roots in most cases. For another thing, what have passports issued by other EU countries got to do with immigration or visits to the US by UK citizens?
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited April 2016
    rcs1000 said:

taffys said:

It does not help when the party Leadership started the referendum up and then made that the priority.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,756
    MTimT said:

surbiton said:

Is that annualized growth or quarter on quarter? The US published annualized figures, so they always look good in comparison with UK figures.
    UK and Eurozone are for the quarter, not annualised. If the figures were annualised they would both be lousy.
This discussion has been closed.