Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Trump set for big victory in New York – Hillary projected t

Comments

• Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460

welshowl said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

From the CityAM article linked to above:

[The Treasury report] assumes that we do not use our newly-independent seats on global bodies to push for a more liberal global trading system.

We'll just have left the EU because we couldn't get 27 culturally similar countries to do as we want and now we're going to go in and boss the rest of the world around?

27 culturally similar countries? I'll give you Germany, Netherlands, Sweden, Denmark and Finland, the rest are nothing like the UK.
    Not France?! We *are* French for heaven's sake if you go back long enough!?
    Aren't we mostly Anglo Saxon and Norman - just different versions of Scandinavians?
    Actually I think most of us are Neolithic reindeer hunters that got cut off about 8000 years ago. Before that we are ultimately all African

When did the Neolithics replace the Lithics?
    After the Paleo's I suppose?
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,917
    chestnut said:

Good morning, everyone.

Mr. T, I'm shocked that international organisations are against an international organisation being diminished, or that member states who benefit from our massive net contributions want us to remain.

The British interest is the concern that matters, not what foreign leaders think.

Mr Dancer, surely this will convince you to back Remain? I mean come on, if Bernie is backing Leave then it is a truly bad idea.

Bernie Ecclestone says Vladimir Putin should run Europe as Formula One boss backs Brexit

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/bernie-ecclestone-says-vladimir-putin-should-run-europe-and-britain-should-get-out-the-eu-a6991501.html
    90% of Guardian readers support Remain, as do Gerry Adams, Martin McGuiness, Nicola Sturgeon, Natalie Bennett and Emma Thompson.

What true Conservative would want to be on the same side as that lot?
    I am struck by how many people see the EU's greatest function as a leash to restrain a Tory government.

Probably, more accurately, restrain the right wing of the Tory party but yes, I think a lot of left of centre voters prefer what they get from Brussels than what they would get from Gove/IDS/Boris. Call in Realpolitik if you like.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792

Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

Scott_P said:

OchEye said:

It must be very confusing to the cult.

Not a cult. Honest...
    When a supporter of the Ruth Davidson Cult is accusing you of cultishness you know you have a problem
    Ruth vs Nicola.

Is Kezia the Rubio Marco of the contest ?
    Probably worse, her father is a vocal SNP supporter rather than a bartender.
    Surely worse. The SNP isn't working.

https://www.holyrood.com/articles/news/unemployment-rate-rises-scotland-not-any-other-uk-nation
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,998
    Mr. F, hmm. There's an interesting debate about whether [historically] cruelty is inherently bad in a monarch. If it helps maintain order, there's an argument for it (Basil II's approach to prisoner welfare cause his long-term rival to suffer a fatal heart attack).

On France: Henry VIII may've failed to conquer it but he did better than John Softsword.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,176
    Thanks @Runnymede for pointing us to the IFO paper on TTIP.
    The claimed effects of trade creation/diversion on the UK are astonishingly large and positive. Especially encouraging as it is written disinterestedly as far as the UK is concerned, unlike yesterday's Treasury paper.
    The arguments in this country seem to have been very much at the level of "save the NHS from the evils of TTIP" when one is accosted outside a supermarket by "campaigners".
    Brexit with TTIP would seem to be a pretty good option to me.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,420
    Sean_F said:

Mr. F, I may read that some day (already for the Sir Roger Mortimer biography). Got to say, though, that Edward II is lucky John's around to top the Worst King leaderboard.

John probably is the worst. By the end of his life, he hadn't just lost most of his possessions in France, he'd lost most of England too. Had William Marshall switched sides, after his death, Prince Louis Capet would have become King of England.

Richard II, Henry VI, and Henry VIII must also be contenders for the title of Worst King of England.
    Charles I and - if we're going for monarchs rather than kings - Mary I too.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,236
    edited April 2016
    Scott_P said:

Alistair said:

When a supporter of the Ruth Davidson Cult is accusing you of cultishness you know you have a problem

https://twitter.com/cjterry/
    Must be a bit of a shock for you to see a party that dares to speak its name.
  • Options

This seems strange. 'Please note that by applying for LEAVE tickets you are confirming that you expect to vote in favour of leaving the EU'. - How are they going to filter that
    By asking them 'Are you a fruitcake, loony or racist?'
    Good response but on a wider issue is this how they put together their question time audience
  • Options
    JackW said:

Sean_F said:

Mr. F, I may read that some day (already for the Sir Roger Mortimer biography). Got to say, though, that Edward II is lucky John's around to top the Worst King leaderboard.

John probably is the worst. By the end of his life, he hadn't just lost most of his possessions in France, he'd lost most of England too. Had William Marshall switched sides, after his death, Prince Louis Capet would have become King of England.

Richard II, Henry VI, and Henry VIII must also be contenders for the title of Worst King of England.
    Worst King of England - "William III" usurping them all - he has form.
    I assume Frank Wittelsbach of Munich is a good one then?
  • Options
    Mr. Herdson/Mr. Owl, one stands corrected. Not a million miles wrong, though.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610

Layne said:

Stephen Crabb is now trying to blame unemployment increases on the chance of Brexit. He is repeating Ed Miliband lines here. I suppose Crabb is similarly lightweight.

Do you not accept that it is entirely possible and that in the event of leave there will be disturbance in the markets
    That's not really relevant to these figures. There was still a net creation of jobs in the UK, just that the number of people entering the jobs market was higher than that. If anything this is a good sign that the market is still pretty robust in that people who were previously inactive are now actively seeking work, possibly due to the living wage pay rise.

I really wish that the media wouldn't report on the "unemployment rate" and instead report on the absolute employment rate which hit another record high. The unemployment rate is a poor measure because it is too easily affected by reducing or raising inactivity. In the US the unemployment rate is similar to ours and yet the absolute employment rate is just 68% compared to our 74%. The difference lies in the inactivity rate which most people don't even bother looking at.
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536

runnymede said:

The German paper on TTIP posted by @runnymede earlier is very interesting. The magnitudes of the effects they show seem very large, however, and not just in the countries directly involved. For example, in the 'deep liberalization' scenario, a 7.4% drop in per-capita income in Australia, which wouldn't be a signatory. Is that plausible?

You don't need to be a signatory to be affected. Read pages 28-29 to see why.
    I understand that, it was the magnitude of the changes which surprised me. Do you think they are plausible?
    Under the assumptions they have used, yes. Though note the caveats they put in re. places like Australia. And there will always be a variety of estimates of such things.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    It's certainly got Krakatoa potential

Mr. Pulpstar, saw a Horizon edition some years ago which raised the theory that the Yellowstone supervolcano erupted and wiped out 90%+ of the human race (at an early stage) which drastically reduced genetic diversity.

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,966
    edited April 2016

Mr. Pulpstar, saw a Horizon edition some years ago which raised the theory that the Yellowstone supervolcano erupted and wiped out 90%+ of the human race (at an early stage) which drastically reduced genetic diversity.

Lake Toba. Yellowstone hasn't errupted for over 600,000 years, which is too long ago.
    If it went off any time soon, it'd dent Ted Cruz's chances I think.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Layne said:

Stephen Crabb is now trying to blame unemployment increases on the chance of Brexit. He is repeating Ed Miliband lines here. I suppose Crabb is similarly lightweight.

Do you not accept that it is entirely possible and that in the event of leave there will be disturbance in the markets
    That's not really relevant to these figures. There was still a net creation of jobs in the UK, just that the number of people entering the jobs market was higher than that. If anything this is a good sign that the market is still pretty robust in that people who were previously inactive are now actively seeking work, possibly due to the living wage pay rise.

I really wish that the media wouldn't report on the "unemployment rate" and instead report on the absolute employment rate which hit another record high. The unemployment rate is a poor measure because it is too easily affected by reducing or raising inactivity. In the US the unemployment rate is similar to ours and yet the absolute employment rate is just 68% compared to our 74%. The difference lies in the inactivity rate which most people don't even bother looking at.
    I agree but I do think the fall in sterling v the euro since Aug 15 to now is a cause of concern. I received 1.41 euro in Aug and it is now down to 1.23
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    welshowl said:

JackW said:

Sean_F said:

No. The Kingdom of England no longer exists .... :smiley:
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,555
    edited April 2016
    Worst King of England/The UK surely has to be Edward VIII.

Though we should be grateful he abdicated.

We've been very lucky with the current Queen and her father being so awesome
  • Options
    JackW said:

welshowl said:

JackW said:

Sean_F said:

No. The Kingdom of England no longer exists .... :smiley:
    Well maybe post June 23rd.....
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610

MaxPB said:

Layne said:

I agree but I do think the fall in sterling v the euro since Aug 15 to now is a cause of concern. I received 1.41 euro in Aug and it is now down to 1.23
    1.26 and that's more a reaction to our awful current account deficit and consumption based GDP growth than the threat of Brexit.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

Thanks @Runnymede for pointing us to the IFO paper on TTIP.
    The claimed effects of trade creation/diversion on the UK are astonishingly large and positive. Especially encouraging as it is written disinterestedly as far as the UK is concerned, unlike yesterday's Treasury paper.
    The arguments in this country seem to have been very much at the level of "save the NHS from the evils of TTIP" when one is accosted outside a supermarket by "campaigners".
    Brexit with TTIP would seem to be a pretty good option to me.

I think this is an important point. Almost none of the UK-based analyses we have seen in recent weeks can be described as independent. Many are blatantly skewed, I'm afraid, some more subtly so e.g. by choosing methodologies they know will produce a certain kind of result.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Layne said:

Yes, it's bloody marvellous. Interest rates up next please.
  • Options
    Anyway, I'm off to contemplate an obscene limerick about the Turkish president. Most enjoyed the discussion of kings and volcanoes. Assuming the boiler gets fixed, I shall return.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,354
    Cyclefree said:

We have an affinity. But that does not mean that we are the same or that we do or can agree. Look at the ideas behind inheritance laws in the UK as opposed to most of the Continent. Very different ideas about families. It's not that one is right and the other wrong. Just different. So if you're to have a common inheritance law across all countries, which view should prevail? And why should there be one common view in any case?

Is a common inheritance law proposed? I'd have thought it came under the doctrine of law being as local as possible in the EU - things like environmental rules clearly need to be cross-frontier so we don't get polluted to death by neighbours, but it's not obvious that inheritance does. Or are you positing a single European country with unitary centralised government, which really is so far off as not to be worth worrying about? Even EUphiles like me are only in favour of confederalism, not some sort of centralised state.

Corporate taxation, now - I'd go for centralisation for that. Companies slip into the least-regulated least-taxed bit far too easily.

On the wider theme, Polruan's erudite analysis of cultural traditions is pretty convincing. Globally, it seems to me that the urban-rural cultural divide is often bigger than the divide between countries. London and East Grinstead are very different places, as are New York and rural Utah, but someone from London would feel quite at home in New York, and someone from East Grinstead might well find rural Utah quite pleasant. Similarly, Warsaw isn't that different in culture (though arguably more elegant in parts), but rural Poland is another world.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited April 2016
    Scott_P said:

Not a cult...

Where as the Conservatives can manage about 20

• Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

Anyway, I'm off to contemplate an obscene limerick about the Turkish president. Most enjoyed the discussion of kings and volcanoes. Assuming the boiler gets fixed, I shall return.

There was an old president of Turkey
    who's laws were wrong and all jerky
    He couldn't stand blame
    that his laws were all lame
    and protested to old Mrs. Merkey
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,896

Cyclefree said:

We have an affinity. But that does not mean that we are the same or that we do or can agree. Look at the ideas behind inheritance laws in the UK as opposed to most of the Continent. Very different ideas about families. It's not that one is right and the other wrong. Just different. So if you're to have a common inheritance law across all countries, which view should prevail? And why should there be one common view in any case?

Is a common inheritance law proposed? I'd have thought it came under the doctrine of law being as local as possible in the EU - things like environmental rules clearly need to be cross-frontier so we don't get polluted to death by neighbours, but it's not obvious that inheritance does. Or are you positing a single European country with unitary centralised government, which really is so far off as not to be worth worrying about? Even EUphiles like me are only in favour of confederalism, not some sort of centralised state.

Corporate taxation, now - I'd go for centralisation for that. Companies slip into the least-regulated least-taxed bit far too easily.

On the wider theme, Polruan's erudite analysis of cultural traditions is pretty convincing. Globally, it seems to me that the urban-rural cultural divide is often bigger than the divide between countries. London and East Grinstead are very different places, as are New York and rural Utah, but someone from London would feel quite at home in New York, and someone from East Grinstead might well find rural Utah quite pleasant. Similarly, Warsaw isn't that different in culture (though arguably more elegant in parts), but rural Poland is another world.
    There was a proposal in 2010/11 to harmonise inheritance laws across the EU, but I don't think it's a live issue at the moment.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,176
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Layne said:

1.26 and that's more a reaction to our awful current account deficit and consumption based GDP growth than the threat of Brexit.
    With a current account deficit at about 5% of GDP, and monetary policy like pushing a string, if effect of the Brexit uncertainty is to push sterling lower it will be a good thing.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

Just a blip I hope. Ozzy will soon fix it. Or is it down to the uncertainty of Brexit.

Unemployment up by 21,000 - and average earnings growth slowing. Labour may well mention the economy at PMQs

The detail is the key here, the total number of people in employment rose but the number of inactive people fell faster, usually that is a sign that people who were previously discouraged are actively seeking work and is a good sign of reducing long term unemployment.
    Absolutely right, Max. I find the lack of focus on discouraged workers in employment statistics extremely annoying.
    I agree however the reduction in economic inactivity has been largely a reduction in the number of retirees, which means we have to confront the issue that people don't stop working or not working when they hit 65 any more.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,970

welshowl said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

[The Treasury report] assumes that we do not use our newly-independent seats on global bodies to push for a more liberal global trading system.

We'll just have left the EU because we couldn't get 27 culturally similar countries to do as we want and now we're going to go in and boss the rest of the world around?

27 culturally similar countries? I'll give you Germany, Netherlands, Sweden, Denmark and Finland, the rest are nothing like the UK.
    Aren't we mostly Anglo Saxon and Norman - just different versions of Scandinavians?
    Actually I think most of us are Neolithic reindeer hunters that got cut off about 8000 years ago. Before that we are ultimately all African

When did the Neolithics replace the Lithics?
    Neolithics replaced the Mesolithics.

I like the Mesolithic. It was when we finally threw off the shackles of European dominance and struck out on our own as an independent island.

(That was an archaeological joke by the way)
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Found the Ipsos Mori leader approval Data

Going into the 2011 Election Annabel Goldie was indeed more popular than Ruth Davidson is now

2011 Goldie +10
    2016 Davidson +7

For Comparison

2011 Salmond +33
    2016 Sturgeon +48
  • Options
    Corbyn having a good PMQs.

He's actually researched his stuff and staying on one topic.

He's learning.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,948
    For worst King of England, I'd like to put a shout in for Edward the Confessor. Utterly useless.
  • Options
    Looking at PMQ.

Is Cameron foaming at the mouth; or is it just bile?
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,970
    welshowl said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

Neolithic starts around 4000BC in Britain. Before that it is the Mesolithic back to around 9000BC.
  • Options
    :smile:
    MikeK said:

There was an old president of Turkey
    who's laws were wrong and all jerky
    He couldn't stand blame
    that his laws were all lame
    and protested to old Mrs. Merkey
  • Options
    edited April 2016

He's learning.

Today's missing word 'Majesty'.
  • Options

He's learning.

Better from Jezza, although his benchmark is pitifully low.

• Options

He's learning.

Agreed with you, Corbyn scoring many points.

Sadly, another one of Osborne's meddlings that is harming this Govt.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

Looking at PMQ.

Is Cameron foaming at the mouth; or is it just bile?

Getting his a**e whipped by Corbyn - shock.
  • Options
    A lot of glum faces on the Conservative benches outside of the Govt folk.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Corbyn much better than before. Still bellows too much

He's learning.

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited April 2016

Cyclefree said:

I think class is a big marker. People who are middle class, and even more so in a profession like mine can move to a similar role very easily in another country, almost wherever it is in the world.

I have worked in Australia and New Zealand and my dad found working in France as easy as the USA, in corporate sales education. Indeed he found France easier than the USA.

Despite living in the USA for 5 years as a teenager, and regularly visiting there since on medical business (mostly research), I still find it an alien place. The attitudes to things like guns, healthcare, social inequality, racial mixing and the role of religion in politics (despite being a Christian churchgoer myself) makes me realise how European I am. There is a connection to these common values that I encounter with fellow Europeans that resonates, even though the Americans that I deal with are almost all liberal university people by US standards. I appreciate that rightwingers may well feel differently, particularly those that quite like "socially conservative" values, or at least Western "socially conservative" values.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,221
    Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

There was a proposal in 2010/11 to harmonise inheritance laws across the EU, but I don't think it's a live issue at the moment.
    So let's do a thought experiment. If that proposal were revived, should we adopt the largely Continental view - that you must leave a significant proportion of your estate to your children, divided equally - or should we adopt the UK approach - namely, that a person can leave their estate to whoever they choose?

I don't see myself why there is a need to harmonise such a law. But the march of the EU is to greater and greater harmonisation. So if we do end up in a position where we - and by "we" I mean all the EU states - have to choose, what choice do we make? If it's by QMV the UK will be outvoted. So yet another aspect of Britishness (and I accept that inheritance laws are not at the forefront of anyone's minds) goes. It is this creeping homogenisation which I do find troubling.

• Options
    JackW said:

He's learning.

Indeed, he was doing well until he quoted 10 year old kids using Labour attack lines and Dave then using the McDonalds story to get a good jibe in at Labour
  • Options

Corbyn much better than before.

He's learning.

Very few hear hear's from his back benches after Cameron responded to the 3 million question.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

He's learning.

Today's missing word 'Majesty'.
    A better Jezza PMQ's but I'd never say he had "majesty" .... :smile:
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @mc_154: @mattforde if there's one thing year 6 pupils absolutely despise it's the systematic reduction in power of local education authorities
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,358
    That was almost a coherent and co-ordinated set of questions which will make any compromise much more difficult for Cameron. Almost an adequate performance.
  • Options
    Another far too long question from Angus, I posted a comment, read the next few and he still hadn't finished.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,498
    Sean_F said:

Hold fire. We haven't had Charles III yet.
  • Options
    Once again very grown up questions from Angus Robertson.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Mr. F, not au fait with the others. Why Henry VIII, in particular?

He squandered vast amounts of money failing to conquer France, and was a total shit to boot. Even by the standards of his time, he was viciously cruel.
    That's enough about George Osborne.

What about Henry VIII?
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Hold fire. We haven't had Charles III yet.
    Yes we have .... :smile:
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

Nothing official IMHO. The mildly amusing situation as pointed out by a legal Professor at a speech I attended, is that under the current EU rules we could have UK Wills being accepted by Italy and France etc but not in reverse. It is however possible that the French may choose to close off the anomaly....
  • Options
    OK PMQs gets interesting.

Dave pushing the Sadiq Khan is an extremist line quite strongly
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @IsabelHardman: Labour MPs are shouting "racist!" at Cameron as he claims Sadiq Khan repeatedly shares platforms with extremists #pmqs
  • Options
    I heard that on r5L that Leicester county council is planning to sell services back to the acadamised schools they'll lose control from.

Not sure on the whole forced academisation thing, I'd have thought giving parents the choice via a consultation for each proposed school might be a better idea.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

world.
    So let's do a thought experiment. If that proposal were revived, should we adopt the largely Continental view - that you must leave a significant proportion of your estate to your children, divided equally - or should we adopt the UK approach - namely, that a person can leave their estate to whoever they choose?

I don't see myself why there is a need to harmonise such a law. But the march of the EU is to greater and greater harmonisation. So if we do end up in a position where we - and by "we" I mean all the EU states - have to choose, what choice do we make? If it's by QMV the UK will be outvoted. So yet another aspect of Britishness (and I accept that inheritance laws are not at the forefront of anyone's minds) goes. It is this creeping homogenisation which I do find troubling.

There's a rationale behind harmonising everything at pan-European level. If people can live anywhere in the EU, then there's an argument that you should have the same law everywhere. It's not an argument that appeals to me, and it's one reason why I'll be voting Leave. Certainly, if we vote Remain, the drive to harmonise everything will continue.

When it comes to inheritance laws, there's no right or wrong answer (as with so many national differences). Forced heirship treats surviving spouses fairly badly, by requiring much of the deceased's estate to go to children. OTOH, our system of testamentary freedom allows surviving spouses to disinherit their own children.
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    DavidL said:

It's a shame that he loves the sound of his own voice so much, and loses the listeners attention after the first few minutes of his question.
  • Options
    Charlotte Leslie very good
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,350
    edited April 2016
    Scott_P said:

@IsabelHardman: Labour MPs are shouting "racist!" at Cameron as he claims Sadiq Khan repeatedly shares platforms with extremists #pmqs

Another 'dead cat' maybe
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

We have an affinity. But that does not mean that we are the same or that we do or can agree. Look at the ideas behind inheritance laws in the UK as opposed to most of the Continent. Very different ideas about families. It's not that one is right and the other wrong. Just different. So

I think for many people this referendum is a very agonising choice.

I have an EUsceptic friend of mine who is reading every document he can, and is making SeanT look consistent.

He's a partner in a City law firm and is really stressed about it.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    Layne said:

I don't know why you're talking like that's wrong. It seems pretty obvious that if there's a 1/3 chance you'll tear up the market access agreements that lots of businesses have been relying on for the last few decades and replace them with nobody-knows-what, businesses that may need to downsize if that happens are going to hold off hiring for a bit and wait and see if it does.
  • Options
    Ken Clarke mocking many on his own party. Disgraceful.
  • Options
    The money laundering implications of that make me slightly dizzy.
  • Options
    'Sadiq "the Khan"' makes him sound like the king of Pakistan.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,785
    DavidL said:

He generally does well (and not just by comparison after coming after Corbyn) - tho last week's dodgy numbers was a bit of a shocker....
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    Any other outcome does seem to require special pleading.

Or the intervention of the Men With Polonium....
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

world.

There's a rationale behind harmonising everything at pan-European level. If people can live anywhere in the EU, then there's an argument that you should have the same law everywhere.
    Is there? What is it? I don't think I've ever heard anyone anywhere in Europe make it.
  • Options

They all need to calm down
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

Nothing official IMHO. The mildly amusing situation as pointed out by a legal Professor at a speech I attended, is that under the current EU rules we could have UK Wills being accepted by Italy and France etc but not in reverse. It is however possible that the French may choose to close off the anomaly....
    It's long been the case that foreign wills that have been validly executed will usually be admitted to Probate in this country.
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited April 2016

Even she does not ask Cameron a supportive question.

Noticeable that Cameron is facing unfriendly questions for >75 % of the time.
  • Options
    JackW said:

He's learning.

He's got 3 years to get up to speed.
  • Options
    Is that the sum total of the Soviet Union's oil revenues that Putin has wagered on Hillary?

• Options
    Rather a good question from Ken Clarke.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Cameron flushed, unconvincing and hesitant on migration.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,221
    Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

world.

There's a rationale behind harmonising everything at pan-European level. If people can live anywhere in the EU, then there's an argument that you should have the same law everywhere. [Snipped].
    Like you I don't accept that rationale. It strikes me as the rationale of the bureaucrat, who wants everything tidy and the same because it's easier. It strikes me as the rationale of the sorts of people who are unwilling to live with the world as it is, with mess and difference and variety and diversity and oddness and history, the rationale of people who want to make the world into what they think it should be, regardless of the wishes of those living in it. I dislike the impulse to harmonisation.

• Options
    PolruanPolruan Posts: 2,083

OK PMQs gets interesting.

Dave pushing the Sadiq Khan is an extremist line quite strongly

I haven't been able to watch it today - was the line "sides with extremists" as Andrew Sparrow is quoting on Guardian live blog? That's moving on from dog whistle politics to waving a nice juicy marrowbone around if so - though whether it's strategy or just Cameron's habitual carelessness with words once he gets angry is harder to say.
  • Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800
    Pulpstar said:

'Sadiq "the Khan"' makes him sound like the king of Pakistan.
    More like Shear Khan, by the way the new Jungle Book film is excellent
  • Options
    edited April 2016

Even she does not ask Cameron a suportive question.

Noticeable that Cameron is facing unfriendly questions for >75 % of the time.
    It's his own fault for choosing not to remain neutral, and winding up half the party.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,236
    Alistair said:

Going into the 2011 Election Annabel Goldie was indeed more popular than Ruth Davidson is now

2011 Goldie +10
    2016 Davidson +7

For Comparison

2011 Salmond +33
    2016 Sturgeon +48

And that was before Aunty Bella managed 'the Conservatives worst ever election result north of the Border'.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,016
    Well if they think Khan's a racist they shouldn't have selected him.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

Is a common inheritance law proposed?

world.

There's a rationale behind harmonising everything at pan-European level. If people can live anywhere in the EU, then there's an argument that you should have the same law everywhere. It's not an argument that appeals to me, and it's one reason why I'll be voting Leave. Certainly, if we vote Remain, the drive to harmonise everything will continue.

When it comes to inheritance laws, there's no right or wrong answer (as with so many national differences). Forced heirship treats surviving spouses fairly badly, by requiring much of the deceased's estate to go to children. OTOH, our system of testamentary freedom allows surviving spouses to disinherit their own children.
    If we stay, and harmonisation continues, then our degree of economic integration with the EU will become even greater and it'll be even harder to Leave in future. All the economic arguments currently being used will have even greater weight, even as our sovereignty is diminished.

That's another reason I'm voting Leave and am not relaxed about 'another' referendum 'someday' in the future.

This might be our only chance.
  • Options

Ken Clarke has every right to mock them as he has been proved right so many times on the EU, oh hang on a minute.......
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    JackW said:

Is that the sum total of the Soviet Union's oil revenues that Putin has wagered on Hillary?

I didn't know a H. Clinton was an atp tennis player...
  • Options
    On the inheritance tangent I would like to point out that Wikipedia page is amazing.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Systems_of_inheritance_among_various_peoples
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

world.

There's a rationale behind harmonising everything at pan-European level. If people can live anywhere in the EU, then there's an argument that you should have the same law everywhere. [Snipped].
    Like you I don't accept that rationale. It strikes me as the rationale of the bureaucrat, who wants everything tidy and the same because it's easier. It strikes me as the rationale of the sorts of people who are unwilling to live with the world as it is, with mess and difference and variety and diversity and oddness and history, the rationale of people who want to make the world into what they think it should be, regardless of the wishes of those living in it. I dislike the impulse to harmonisation.

The real purpose of such apparently unnecessary harmonisation is of course to slowly create a 'European' identity, or so the proposers of it hope.
  • Options

JackW said:

I didn't know a H. Clinton was an atp tennis player...
    New balls ....
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

world.

If we stay, and harmonisation continues, then our degree of economic integration with the EU will become even greater and it'll be even harder to Leave in future. All the economic arguments currently being used will have even greater weight, even as our sovereignty is diminished.

That's another reason I'm voting Leave and am not relaxed about 'another' referendum 'someday' in the future.

It will collapse by 2022 regardless
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137

Alistair said:

2011 Goldie +10
    2016 Davidson +7

For Comparison

2011 Salmond +33
    2016 Sturgeon +48

And that was before Aunty Bella managed 'the Conservatives worst ever election result north of the Border'.
    Just didn't look so bad compared to The Beginning Of The End for Labour though.....
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,377
    Huzzah, a EurophileBetting.com PoliticalBetting.com thread that isn't Europhile Propaganda "Robust Analysis" from TSE!

:lol:
  • Options
    chestnut said:

Cameron flushed, unconvincing and hesitant on migration.

It really shows the nonsense of the Treasury report. One reason it assumes higher GDP is that immigration will continue at the rate of over 200K a year removing a break that might otherwise be on our economy as we move closer to full employment. Cameron has just said that his agreement is going to restrict that immigration. If he is right (big if) then growth will be lower than the forecast and the difference between in and out will be less.
  • Options

On the inheritance tangent I would like to point out that Wikipedia page is amazing.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Systems_of_inheritance_among_various_peoples

The ancient israelite system sounds great.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

world.

Sure, the government's main argument for Remain is essentially that it is simply too disruptive, at an administrative level, for leaving the EU to be a viable option. And, it will always be administratively disruptive to leave.
  • Options
    ORDER! PMQ's always overrun these days.
  • Options
    PolruanPolruan Posts: 2,083
    Cyclefree said:

Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

Problem is, that comment could even apply to tidy-sameness such as ensuring that railways that cross land borders are the same gauge either side, or that mobile phones work seamlessly with no change in cost in two adjacent countries. Nobody opposes all harmonisation, and everybody objects to some harmonisations. Most (all?) progress is a result of the sorts of people who are unwilling to live with the world as it is.
  • Options
    FattyBolgerFattyBolger Posts: 299
    Cameron really is a busted flush now. He will probably win his vote but will forever be regarded as effectively a traitor by somewhere near half the country. See Blair/Iraq for howsuch profound disapproval neednot fade. This reflects not his position, that in is better than out. That can be legitimately argued. It is the deliberate deception,and his dishonourable conduct in looking to rig the scales that have done for his reputation inmy view
This discussion has been closed.