Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Trump set for big victory in New York – Hillary projected t

Comments

• Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,917

Tom Harris has his 2p

His comments today about the “bogeyman” approach adopted by the Remain campaign are well timed and accurate. And it says a great deal about how little confidence the Remain camp have in their own arguments.

Why waste time on inventing imaginary and hypothetical scenarios to attack when they have the wonderful, positive, life-affirming reality of life in the EU all around them?
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/04/19/remainers-dare-not-be-honest-about-the-eu--so-they-peddle-images/

If the scenarios being provided by the Leave side are not credible then it's important to point that out. There are few Euro-enthusiasts on the Remain side, from what I can tell; just a lot of people who believe that we are better off in than out.

When Leave propose the future looks like Albania or Bosnia, you do have to wonder if they have joined Project Fear too...
    Personally, I think Remain need to be careful that they don't mock Britain as looking just like Albania or Bosnia if it were independent, which I might find insulting if I didn't find it so funny.

But, hey, what do I know.

Whatever the intention it was a PR mistake for Leave to make the comparison. If the best comparison that they could make for where we might be headed is Albania and Bosnia they would have been better saying nothing
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Indigo said:

We are guest staying in a hotel, for which we pay a good chunk of cash which is a significant help to keeping them in business, but in return we get a good maid service, access to the business suite, and being able to talk to the other residents in the bar is useful.

And the reason we are staying at the hotel at all is because it is the site of the largest Trade Fair in the World.

All of our customers and suppliers visit the fair. As guests, we have free entry to the fair. If we leave the hotel, we would have to pay an entry fee, we wouldn't have a stand, and not everyone would want to sign a deal with us out the back behind the bins.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    The six lessons I'd take from New York

1. Donald keeps up the pressure - the Donald needs to make it as difficult for the Republicans to dump him as possible. Even if the required 1,237 delegates prove out of reach, Trump needs to push as hard as possible. The RNC won't risk a stitch up if it is likely to fail anyway.
    2. Trump outperformed the polls - although more pronounced in caucuses, Trump has still underperformed the polls in primaries throughout the campaign. Last night polls put him on 52-56%; he achieved 60%. This will reassure backers that Trump can go on to convert polling leads in other states, without worrying that his position is weaker than it seems.
    3. Trump is likely to win big in PA - alongside 17 delegates which are bound to the winner of the state, Pennsylvania will elect 54 delegates who will go to the Convention unbound. These delegates are asked to bear the primary election result in mind - but Cruz had been confident of peeling some or even most of them away. If Trump can up his vote share, he'll make Cruz's job much more difficult - and smooth his route to the nomination.
    4. From New York to LA - California will elect on the last day of primaries, and carries the most of any state - 172 delegates. It now seems inevitable that the winner's line for Trump will fall somewhere between 0 and 172 delegates - so registered Republicans will go to the polls knowing this is a make it or break it moment (even as California is a blue state). That adds a level of complexity which seems to have largely avoided comment, but will be key.
    5. A Cruzifiction - on poor turf, Cruz had hoped to pick up a coalition of evangelicals and Rubio's share of wealthy and highly educated Republicans to the anti-Trump cause. Hoisted by his own petard over "New York Values" there is not a single cross break that reads well for the Texan senator. Cruz will need to draw a line under the state so that expected poor results next week don't push him out the race completely and give him space to rebound on the west coast.
    6. No way in for Kasich: Kasich supporters had been hopeful that - however unlikely - that his result in New York could boost him to competitive results elsewhere in the north east and strengthen his credibility as a candidate at the Convention. Save for home turf in Ohio, and a strong performance in Vermont, Kasich will have been roundly beaten everywhere. It becomes ever more difficult to market a proven loser.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    edited April 2016
    LondonBob said:

DavidL said:

Pulpstar said:

Oh boy does New York hate Cruz

New York does not value Cruz....
    Don't think any of the 5 states voting on April 26th will much value him either and 3 are winner takes all. I think after that he will be out of sight and the only question will be if he wins outright.
    Could still come down to California.
    Both of you are undoubtedly right, Trump's ability to close this out will fall between 0 and 172 delegates in CA. It's been likely for a while.

There will be two Trump takes most states next week, plus winner takes all in Connecticut and the rump 17 in PA
    I mean Delaware not connecticut
    Although Connecticut is 50% WTA, so given the NY result I expect Trump to take all the delegates there. Trump impressively strong in Long Island as polls suggested, also suggests Trump will sweep Long Island in the generals, first time since 88 to make NY some way competitive.
    http://nypost.com/2016/02/28/hillary-could-lose-to-trump-in-democratic-new-york/
    New York "some way competitive" - You're having a giraffe.

The latest RCP average of the last six polls in New York has Trump losing his home state to Clinton by 21.2 points which of course is "some way competitive" in the same way as Aston Villa are competitive to win the Champion League next season.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/ny/new_york_trump_vs_clinton-5792.html
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    LondonBob said:

DavidL said:

Pulpstar said:

Oh boy does New York hate Cruz

New York does not value Cruz....
    Don't think any of the 5 states voting on April 26th will much value him either and 3 are winner takes all. I think after that he will be out of sight and the only question will be if he wins outright.
    Could still come down to California.
    Both of you are undoubtedly right, Trump's ability to close this out will fall between 0 and 172 delegates in CA. It's been likely for a while.

There will be two Trump takes most states next week, plus winner takes all in Connecticut and the rump 17 in PA
    I mean Delaware not connecticut
    Although Connecticut is 50% WTA, so given the NY result I expect Trump to take all the delegates there. Trump impressively strong in Long Island as polls suggested, also suggests Trump will sweep Long Island in the generals, first time since 88 to make NY some way competitive.
    http://nypost.com/2016/02/28/hillary-could-lose-to-trump-in-democratic-new-york/

Interesting Sam Wang is using my neighbouring counties method to look at IN. As with Florida etc. I think NY showed closed primaries don't hurt Trump at all, that IN is open to Dem troublemakers is a concern.
    http://election.princeton.edu/2016/04/18/gop-update-pre-new-york/
    Except Indiana Rep and Dem primaries are on the same day - and Dem troublemakers are busy trying to knock Hillary off her perch by voting Sanders....
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    DavidL said:

Big, big win for Trump last night and a wipeout for Cruz in one of the larger states in the Union. The stories of Trump having stalled, self-destructed etc are looking somewhat exaggerated this morning and he will be back to his boisterous self in the next few contests. A lot depends on how decisively he wins California but I think he still has a decent chance of reaching 1237.

For Hillary it is a good solid win which will hopefully stop the rot but she was a long way from smashing Sanders out of the park. Her road to victory still looks a bit of a slog rather than a procession.

In November I think it will be much closer than the odds seem to be indicating. A 72% chance of a Clinton win is ridiculous.

When push comes to shove, a lot of Republicans who say that they'll never vote for Trump in November at the moment probably will.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,221
    Morning all.

A wonderful spring morning here.

One doesn't want to criticise the security services - they have one hell of a job - but this report is interesting: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/04/19/review-the-security-of-our-borders-to-keep-britain-safe-say-form/

Two thoughts:-

1. One wonders how many "wake up" calls are needed.
    2. I hadn't realised that Kerry had said that the migration crisis threatened to destroy Europe. I wonder if as much attention will be paid to those remarks as to whatever Obama says on his forthcoming visit.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,554
    edited April 2016
    Just a blip I hope. Ozzy will soon fix it. Or is it down to the uncertainty of Brexit.

Unemployment up by 21,000 - and average earnings growth slowing. Labour may well mention the economy at PMQs
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    Following on from my earlier point I have just been looking at a very interesting study by the German IFO institute on the effect of the TTIP on patterns of world trade.

The results they get for the UK are quite striking and illustrate starkly how much trade diversion occurs thanks to the current preferential trade system we have with the EU.

I refer readers in particular to page 18 which looks at what the UK's trade volumes with a variety of trade partners might look like in two scenarios 1) where only tariffs are removed 2) where there is also a large (not total) reduction in (the much more important) non-tariff barriers.

In case 1) the effects are modest (small tariffs really don't matter much), but in case 2) they are dramatic. IFO's model estimates in the latter case that UK exports to the US would be some 60% higher under TTIP than would otherwise be the case, while exports to Germany, France, Italy and Spain would be around 40% lower. One reason for this is that 'natural' barriers to trade between the UK and US are lower and existing trade integration higher than is the case for other EU countries.

It is worth also reproducing IFO's commentary on these results-

'it appears that integration of Great Britain in the EU would be noticeably weaker in some areas. In other words, through the transatlantic agreement, having Great Britain remain in the European Customs Union would be less valuable for both Great Britain and the other EU member states. Given this background, the discussion of Great Britain’s exit from the EU could take on additional energy.'

Re, the overall effects IFO also finds that the UK is the big winner from TTIP among the main European economies. GDP per capita rises some 10% in the 'deep liberalisation' scenario, double the rise in Germany and four times the rise in France. Employment is 400,000 higher.

http://www.bfna.org/sites/default/files/TTIP-GED study 17June 2013.pdf

• Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited April 2016
    Scott_P said:

@DPJHodges: Over past month, (supposedly a good month for Leave), there have been 23 polls. 15 have had Remain ahead, 5 Leave ahead, 3 have been ties.

The 10/10 numbers within the polls (usually at realistic turnout levels) are very promising for leave, and how many Outs had we seen in Scotland at this stage?

Remain's message has been banged home for an eternity, and it's still behind in some polls.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610

Just a blip I hope. Ozzy will soon fix it. Or is it down to the uncertainty of Brexit.

Unemployment up by 21,000 - and average earnings growth slowing. Labour may well mention the economy at PMQs

The detail is the key here, the total number of people in employment rose but the number of inactive people fell faster, usually that is a sign that people who were previously discouraged are actively seeking work and is a good sign of reducing long term unemployment.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,420
    JackW said:

JackW said:

kle4 said:

On topic, I wish sanders would quit already. He isn't going to win and the efforts of his supporters to think they have a shot still is getting a little sad. Though I suppose he's having fun.

Sanders will stay through to the convention and try and influence the platform. His next big decision is whether he dials down the rhetoric following more defeats next Tuesday in the closed primaries of Pennsylvania, Maryland, Connecticut and Delaware. Sanders has a shot at the open contest in Rhode Island but it'll be small consolation.
    I'd agree with all that.

Worth also remembering that the flip side of all those superdelegates is that technically, Hillary won't win a definitive majority off bound delegates alone before the convention. As such, Sanders can legitimately continue to campaign on the notional argument that he could persuade the supers to change their mind - and the real one that his continued presence will influence the debate. Which is, after all, exactly what Hillary did in 2008 in a near-identical position.
    Sanders campaign manager has said he expects to flip the Supers !! - Laughable drivel. Sanders race was done early on when he failed to capture the minority vote and Clinton built up a comfortable lead that Sanders has only managed to chip away at from time to time and then often lose again in big blue states.

The Supers are for Clinton for two reasons - Firstly she was the front runner and likely overall winner but secondly and usually overlooked is that the Clinton's have huge hinterland in the party, supporting candidates nationwide and raising hundreds of millions of dollars over the decades. In contrast Sanders is a semi-detached figure.
    More than semi-detatched: his career has been wholly outside the Democrats until this presidential race!

But he'll keep fighting because that's what he's in the race to do - the supers just give him the excuse and Hillary's decision to do likewise in 2008 means she's in a poor position to criticise.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,052
    MaxPB said:

The detail is the key here, the total number of people in employment rose but the number of inactive people fell faster, usually that is a sign that people who were previously discouraged are actively seeking work and is a good sign of reducing long term unemployment.
    Absolutely right, Max. I find the lack of focus on discouraged workers in employment statistics extremely annoying.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,221
    runnymede said:

Following on from my earlier point I have just been looking at a very interesting study by the German IFO institute on the effect of the TTIP on patterns of world trade.

The results they get for the UK are quite striking and illustrate starkly how much trade diversion occurs thanks to the current preferential trade system we have with the EU.

I refer readers in particular to page 18 which looks at what the UK's trade volumes with a variety of trade partners might look like in two scenarios 1) where only tariffs are removed 2) where there is also a large (not total) reduction in (the much more important) non-tariff barriers.

In case 1) the effects are modest (small tariffs really don't matter much), but in case 2) they are dramatic. IFO's model estimates in the latter case that UK exports to the US would be some 60% higher under TTIP than would otherwise be the case, while exports to Germany, France, Italy and Spain would be around 40% lower. One reason for this is that 'natural' barriers to trade between the UK and US are lower and existing trade integration higher than is the case for other EU countries.

'it appears that integration of Great Britain in the EU would be noticeably weaker in some areas. In other words, through the transatlantic agreement, having Great Britain remain in the European Customs Union would be less valuable for both Great Britain and the other EU member states. Given this background, the discussion of Great Britain’s exit from the EU could take on additional energy.'

Re, the overall effects IFO also finds that the UK is the big winner from TTIP among the main European economies. GDP per capita rises some 10% in the 'deep liberalisation' scenario, double the rise in Germany and four times the rise in France. Employment is 400,000 higher.

I have not yet had a chance to review the PwC document you referred me to yesterday but will do when I have the chance.

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    An interesting article on Bloomberg on how Mr Putin is interfering in European elections, backing any party/interest that causes discord in the EU:

Bloomberg - Putin's Propaganda Machine Is Meddling With European Elections http://bloom.bg/1WEgfR7
  • Options

An interesting article on Bloomberg on how Mr Putin is interfering in European elections, backing any party/interest that causes discord in the EU:

Bloomberg - Putin's Propaganda Machine Is Meddling With European Elections http://bloom.bg/1WEgfR7

Frightening.
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

DavidL said:

Big, big win for Trump last night and a wipeout for Cruz in one of the larger states in the Union. The stories of Trump having stalled, self-destructed etc are looking somewhat exaggerated this morning and he will be back to his boisterous self in the next few contests. A lot depends on how decisively he wins California but I think he still has a decent chance of reaching 1237.

For Hillary it is a good solid win which will hopefully stop the rot but she was a long way from smashing Sanders out of the park. Her road to victory still looks a bit of a slog rather than a procession.

In November I think it will be much closer than the odds seem to be indicating. A 72% chance of a Clinton win is ridiculous.

When push comes to shove, a lot of Republicans who say that they'll never vote for Trump in November at the moment probably will.
    Some will, a lot won't. Trump is a populist, shooting from the mouth. His banning muslims, building a wall round Mexico stuff doesn't play well with the many well-off professional GOP voters in and around the big metropolitan areas. The neocons are not going to go for him either, HRC is far more in tune with their world view.
  • Options
    runnymede said:

I'm a big fan of TTIP, and I'm quite shocked how many of my fellow Leavers (I'm thinking of you Mr Tyndall) hate it.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,485
    OllyT said:

Tom Harris has his 2p

His comments today about the “bogeyman” approach adopted by the Remain campaign are well timed and accurate. And it says a great deal about how little confidence the Remain camp have in their own arguments.

Why waste time on inventing imaginary and hypothetical scenarios to attack when they have the wonderful, positive, life-affirming reality of life in the EU all around them?
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/04/19/remainers-dare-not-be-honest-about-the-eu--so-they-peddle-images/

If the scenarios being provided by the Leave side are not credible then it's important to point that out. There are few Euro-enthusiasts on the Remain side, from what I can tell; just a lot of people who believe that we are better off in than out.

When Leave propose the future looks like Albania or Bosnia, you do have to wonder if they have joined Project Fear too...
    Personally, I think Remain need to be careful that they don't mock Britain as looking just like Albania or Bosnia if it were independent, which I might find insulting if I didn't find it so funny.

Whatever the intention it was a PR mistake for Leave to make the comparison. If the best comparison that they could make for where we might be headed is Albania and Bosnia they would have been better saying nothing

Leave did not say that. This is blatant spin by Remain.
  • Options
    A lot is being made about the Remain campaign's project fear but the other tactic they are using is the classic "appeal to authority"

Guido has an example in this article: http://order-order.com/2016/04/20/campaign-report-day-4-2/

This is incredibly patronising besides the fact that Bill Gates is not as far as I'm aware an expert on the EU and doesn't even live here!
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966

160,000 (hopefully short term) job losses were expected due to the implementation of the Living wage.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,389
    edited April 2016

runnymede said:

tlg86 said:

Wh.

I
    The

It

You really exaggerate the difference, as the Treasury did recently also.
    es you some idea about what EU trade deals are really all about.

I think this is what it all comes down to.

If you think the single market, as it's currently constituted, is Britain's economic future, that it should be deepened in services, not lightened, and, therefore, even having 1/28th of the say in the rules is better than none, plus you're doing well, don't want any short-term economic disruption and you're not too bothered by concepts of sovereignty or politics, then you're probably going to be for Remain.

If, however, you think the UK's future is global, that the EU will form an ever shrinking proportion of our trade, that it increasingly be dominated by the eurozone, outvoting the UK, that the limited influence we'll retain doesn't compensate for the shared powers the EU has over the UK with its permanent QMV majority, and that it makes sense for the UK to be represented on global bodies itself independently and able to control its own trade deals, that you're confident an independent UK can be just as successful as other smaller anglosphere nations, controlling both its own laws and borders, even if this causes some short term disruption to the existing economic order, but you feel it has to be done and it won't be that bad, then you're probably going to be for Leave.
    Very nice summary indeed, except I would add to the Remainers that they believe they have plenty of sovereignty as things stand.
  • Options
    There are so many flaws in the Treasury analysis you could write another 200 page document outlining them. It's an intellectually very dishonest piece of work.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,354
    runnymede said:

[snip for length]

Very interesting post - thanks, Runnymede. There is significant opposition to TTIP on both sides of the Atlantic, but FWIW my impression is that it's more real in the US. In Europe, the centre-right is in favour, and the centre-left is putting up a show of scepticism but will probably settle for tweaks and reassurances in the end. The hard left and hard right are against, but don't have the firepower in any of the EU institutions to block a deal.

The US position is more problematic. Sanders has forced Clinton into a treaty-sceptic position, and the GOP in general and Trump in particular are wary of dealings with nasty foreigners. If Clinton wins (probable) but doesn't have a working majority in Congress (almost certain), it's hard to see her getting it through.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

runnymede said:

I'm a big fan of TTIP, and I'm quite shocked how many of my fellow Leavers (I'm thinking of you Mr Tyndall) hate it.
    What the view of that nice, cuddly and fellow LEAVE supporter President Putin on TTIP? .... :smile:
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,420

An increase of 21k over three months in a workforce of 40m or so is basically stable. The earnings figures are more meaningful but not really that far out of line with recent stats.

The month-on-month (or Q-on-Q) changes aren't that meaningful anyway; better to use the change on this time last year.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

runnymede said:

The rise in GDP will be wholly captured by the richest 1% or even 0.1%.

• Options
    On Hollyrood for a minute, Labour are going to oppose Trident and the SNP are going to raise taxes on the middle classes. Should be a good opportunity for the Tories to capitalise and push for second place and for Ruth to become LOTO.
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    edited April 2016
    JackW said:

rcs1000 said:

runnymede said:

What the view of that nice, cuddly and fellow LEAVE supporter President Putin on TTIP? .... :smile:
    You think 'too weak and too feeble' Brits should take any notice of Putin?

Most of us are intelligent enough to ignore him, Bill Gates and the various other Yanks and busybodies interfering in a decision that is for us alone to make.
  • Options

runnymede said:

[snip for length]

Very interesting post - thanks, Runnymede. There is significant opposition to TTIP on both sides of the Atlantic, but FWIW my impression is that it's more real in the US. In Europe, the centre-right is in favour, and the centre-left is putting up a show of scepticism but will probably settle for tweaks and reassurances in the end. The hard left and hard right are against, but don't have the firepower in any of the EU institutions to block a deal.

The US position is more problematic. Sanders has forced Clinton into a treaty-sceptic position, and the GOP in general and Trump in particular are wary of dealings with nasty foreigners. If Clinton wins (probable) but doesn't have a working majority in Congress (almost certain), it's hard to see her getting it through.
    Nick - if the IFO are even half right the political economy implications are very significant, from several angles. I suspect opposition will grow - for all the wrong reasons I am afraid i.e. the deal will be big threat to some seriously entrenched economic and political special interests.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

runnymede said:

I'm unconvinced, the US courts are too crooked and will favour their companies in any dispute.
  • Options
    The vacancy numbers are a record high of 751,000.

Claimant Count is slightly up to 732,000. End of the tax year so potential for PS redundancies/contract cessations.
  • Options

OllyT said:

Tom Harris has his 2p

From the FT:-

"Britain will move outside the EU’s single market and instead join “Bosnia, Serbia, Albania and Ukraine” in a European free-trade zone if voters choose Brexit in June’s referendum, according to a vision outlined on Tuesday by Michael Gove."

Where's the "blatant spin"?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

runnymede said:

There are probably some aspects of it that are objectionable. But if the IFO estimates are robust, Eurosceptics should be embracing the concept of it, in broad terms at least.

Moreover, as noted, the estimates also show how distorted and suboptimal our current trading pattern is.
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838

The six lessons I'd take from New York

1. Donald keeps up the pressure - the Donald needs to make it as difficult for the Republicans to dump him as possible. Even if the required 1,237 delegates prove out of reach, Trump needs to push as hard as possible. The RNC won't risk a stitch up if it is likely to fail anyway.
    2. Trump outperformed the polls - although more pronounced in caucuses, Trump has still underperformed the polls in primaries throughout the campaign. Last night polls put him on 52-56%; he achieved 60%. This will reassure backers that Trump can go on to convert polling leads in other states, without worrying that his position is weaker than it seems.
    3. Trump is likely to win big in PA - alongside 17 delegates which are bound to the winner of the state, Pennsylvania will elect 54 delegates who will go to the Convention unbound. These delegates are asked to bear the primary election result in mind - but Cruz had been confident of peeling some or even most of them away. If Trump can up his vote share, he'll make Cruz's job much more difficult - and smooth his route to the nomination.
    4. From New York to LA - California will elect on the last day of primaries, and carries the most of any state - 172 delegates. It now seems inevitable that the winner's line for Trump will fall somewhere between 0 and 172 delegates - so registered Republicans will go to the polls knowing this is a make it or break it moment (even as California is a blue state). That adds a level of complexity which seems to have largely avoided comment, but will be key.
    5. A Cruzifiction - on poor turf, Cruz had hoped to pick up a coalition of evangelicals and Rubio's share of wealthy and highly educated Republicans to the anti-Trump cause. Hoisted by his own petard over "New York Values" there is not a single cross break that reads well for the Texan senator. Cruz will need to draw a line under the state so that expected poor results next week don't push him out the race completely and give him space to rebound on the west coast.
    6. No way in for Kasich: Kasich supporters had been hopeful that - however unlikely - that his result in New York could boost him to competitive results elsewhere in the north east and strengthen his credibility as a candidate at the Convention. Save for home turf in Ohio, and a strong performance in Vermont, Kasich will have been roundly beaten everywhere. It becomes ever more difficult to market a proven loser.
    We should keep those unbound Penn delegates in mind, I think. If Trump is >1200 they could push him over the line.
  • Options
    murali_s said:
    It certainly is, and substantially faster than Hansen originally predicted back in 1981. The enormity of its potential impact on future generations certainly puts our current quibbles about politics and trade into perspective.
  • Options
    OllyT said:

It's the same "blatant spin" the press use against Jeremy Corbyn, by actually reporting the words he says...
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    From the CityAM article linked to above:

[The Treasury report] assumes that we do not use our newly-independent seats on global bodies to push for a more liberal global trading system.

We'll just have left the EU because we couldn't get 27 culturally similar countries to do as we want and now we're going to go in and boss the rest of the world around?
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    MaxPB said:

Good point. Also encouraging to see the drop in longer term unemployment.

"268,000 people who had been unemployed for between 6 and 12 months, 16,000 fewer than for a year earlier

•467,000 people who had been unemployed for over 12 months, 156,000 fewer than for a year earlier"

• Options
    watford30 said:

JackW said:

rcs1000 said:

runnymede said:

You think 'too weak and too feeble' Brits should take any notice of Putin?
    I certainly think I'd decline taking tea with President Putin at the Millennium Hotel any time soon. The atmosphere would be poison and my holiday plans for the Crimea have been put on hold for a few decades.
  • Options
    JonathanD said:

MaxPB said:

Good point. Also encouraging to see the drop in longer term unemployment.

"268,000 people who had been unemployed for between 6 and 12 months, 16,000 fewer than for a year earlier

•467,000 people who had been unemployed for over 12 months, 156,000 fewer than for a year earlier"

Who produces these numbers? Tory Central Office?

• Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    TOPPING said:

[The Treasury report] assumes that we do not use our newly-independent seats on global bodies to push for a more liberal global trading system.

We'll just have left the EU because we couldn't get 27 culturally similar countries to do as we want and now we're going to go in and boss the rest of the world around?

Its all getting like the secret oil fields off the west coast of Scoltand that the SNP used to bang on about during ScotRef.

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,354
    edited April 2016
    DavidL said:

I think Trump will do a deal with Kasich to try and get Ohio and to bring more of the party together. It will also help his "moderate" credentials to have him on the ticket.

Yes, that would be an niteresting potential game-changer. Kasich has ruled it out - indeed he's highly non-committal about supporting Trump at all - but in the words of the Danish PM accused of a U-turn, "One has a position until one has a different one". If Trump did a mock-humble speech where he acknowledged that maybe he'd gone too far sometimes, and he was willing to listen to advice from his good friend Kasich, that might do the trick. Kasich would need to live down a lot of scorn from friends and allies, but being VP is a heart-beat away, etc.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,970
    TOPPING said:

They are not culturally similar. When it comes to trade and finance we have far more in common with the US and Australia than we do with Poland and Portugal.
  • Options

A lot is being made about the Remain campaign's project fear but the other tactic they are using is the classic "appeal to authority"

Guido has an example in this article: http://order-order.com/2016/04/20/campaign-report-day-4-2/

This is incredibly patronising besides the fact that Bill Gates is not as far as I'm aware an expert on the EU and doesn't even live here!

Not fully understanding the complexities of the EU many people were always going to listen to what others have to say. Many, I expect, will conclude that the G20, BOE, Obama, IMF, all the UK Party leaders except Farage etc are more likely to be correct in their assessment than Boris, Gove and Farage. If the weight of opinion is that individuals will be worse off out they all vote accordingly.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,966
    edited April 2016
    @TheWhiteRabbit

I'd agree broadly with all that.

on
    1) Completely correct
    2) The common theme is that polls seem to very often understate the winner it seems.
    3) This survey of PA's delegates looks broadly encouraging for Trump http://tinyurl.com/zcb5v6a. I'd assume a worst case working figure of 40 delegates perhaps for him (Providing he wins)
    4) California is a state that requires alot of organisation ! Trump will need to do better here than previous places that have needed organisation - but if you go off Arizona and Nevada, I think he's definitely favourite. Cruz will pick up some delegates in rural parts though... a hard state to model.
    5) Yes, getting zero delegates and third in New York is not a good look for Cruz, and the extent of the rout could do him further harm in the North East as anti-Trump voters consider Kasich perhaps more than they would.
    6) Kasich has been dead for a while - his continued candidacy is a mixed bag though... from a quick fag packet analysis I think he hinders Trump/helps him in the following states:

(Since the contest is now essentially Trump vs 1237, hindering Trump is 'close enough' to helping Cruz, even if Kasich denies him some delegates...)

Indiana - Helps (WTA2) - A big help potentially..

Maryland - Helps (WTA2)
    Delaware - Helps (WTA)

Pennsylvania - Probably helps - this might be the only state where Cruz not running could flip it Kasich in theory though (WTA)

Nebraska - Could help, surely a Cruz state though.
    Washington - Could help at the margins (Cruz sweep is easier without Kasich)
    Montana - Could help at the margins, unlikely to be relevant
    South Dakota - Could help, surely a Cruz state though.

California - Could help, could hinder, this is very hard to judge ! Probably ends up making ~ zilch difference.

New Jersey (WTA, Kasich likely 2nd I think)- Could hinder, surely this is Trump territory though.

Conneticut - Hinders (Trump vs 50%)
    Rhode Island - Hinders (PR)
    West Virginia - Hinders (AL2) (I think !)
    Oregon - Hinders (Proportional)
    New Mexico - Hinders (Proportional)

Kasich cost Trump 5 delegates in New York, but may well have given him 3 in Wisconsin I think.

Overall I think Kasich helps Trump marginally, his effect in Indiana could be big even if he only scores around 15% or so.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

27 culturally similar countries? I'll give you Germany, Netherlands, Sweden, Denmark and Finland, the rest are nothing like the UK.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,998
    Good morning, everyone.

Mr. T, I'm shocked that international organisations are against an international organisation being diminished, or that member states who benefit from our massive net contributions want us to remain.

The British interest is the concern that matters, not what foreign leaders think.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

They are not culturally similar. When it comes to trade and finance we have far more in common with the US and Australia than we do with Poland and Portugal.
    I feel much closer, culturally, to the French than I do to an American or an Aussie. Even quantitatively we have hundreds of years more in common than with the New World.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

27 culturally similar countries? I'll give you Germany, Netherlands, Sweden, Denmark and Finland, the rest are nothing like the UK.
    Not France?! We *are* French for heaven's sake if you go back long enough!?
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

I feel much closer, culturally, to the French than I do to an American or an Aussie. Even quantitatively we have hundreds of years more in common than with the New World.
    I grew up in Australia. It is the UK with sunshine. The idea that the French are closer culturally is for the fairies.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

Tbh, I'm a "citizen of the Empire" if you go back far enough so I'll always feel more affinity to other ex-colonies that Europe.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited April 2016
    TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

While you don't have to go even a quarter as far back for the Americans to be English, what's your point?
  • Options
    edited April 2016

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

I grew up in Australia. It is the UK with sunshine. The idea that the French are closer culturally is for the fairies.
    I went backpacking one score years ago. I got the impression Australia was very similiar to the UK, less afraid to call a spade a spade perhaps ;)
    Definitely more blunt :D
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

Mr. T, I'm shocked that international organisations are against an international organisation being diminished, or that member states who benefit from our massive net contributions want us to remain.

The British interest is the concern that matters, not what foreign leaders think.

Mr Dancer, surely this will convince you to back Remain? I mean come on, if Bernie is backing Leave then it is a truly bad idea.

Bernie Ecclestone says Vladimir Putin should run Europe as Formula One boss backs Brexit

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/bernie-ecclestone-says-vladimir-putin-should-run-europe-and-britain-should-get-out-the-eu-a6991501.html
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

American Independence was based upon exercising the aspirations of liberty of Englishmen.

• Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Couldn't disagree more, I've more affinity with India than France. I'm a strong Anglophile.
  • Options
    OllyT said:

OllyT said:

Tom Harris has his 2p

From the FT:-

"Britain will move outside the EU’s single market and instead join “Bosnia, Serbia, Albania and Ukraine” in a European free-trade zone if voters choose Brexit in June’s referendum, according to a vision outlined on Tuesday by Michael Gove."

You've answered your own question; it's from the Financial Times.

Quoting from the FT to support Remain is like quoting from the Daily Express to support Leave:
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

Tbh, I'm a "citizen of the Empire" if you go back far enough so I'll always feel more affinity to other ex-colonies that Europe.
    Me too.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Australians, Americans, Canadians etc... are or were British at some point. Our royal family is German and our language has Germanic roots rather than Latin roots. How you can identify closer to France than Australia (with whom we share our head of state) or the US (a nation founded by this one) then it's little wonder that you seem so attached to the EU.
  • Options
    Mr. Topping, no we aren't.

If you're referring to the 1066 conquest, you're wrong. How wrong? Let me count the ways:
    1) It was not a French conquest, it was a Norman one.
    2) The upper class changed. It wasn't a whole new people, just a new dynasty and some earls.
    3) The general composition of the population (Anglo-Saxon) was unchanged, barring a few nobles. There was no mass migration.
    4) England was/is comprised of native Celts, Angles, Saxons, Jutes and the odd Viking. Wales and Scotland are Celtic, likewise Northern Ireland.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, I don't believe something because the shaman says so, and don't disbelieve it because the poison dwarf says so. I'm quite content to make up my own mind instead of contracting out my critical faculties to Ecclestone, Putin, Cameron or Obama.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

runnymede said:

tlg86 said:

Wh.

I
    The

It

You really exaggerate the difference, as the Treasury did recently also.
    es you some idea about what EU trade deals are really all about.

I think this is what it all comes down to.

If you think the single market, as it's currently constituted, is Britain's economic future, that it should be deepened in services, not lightened, and, therefore, even having 1/28th of the say in the rules is better than none, plus you're doing well, don't want any short-term economic disruption and you're not too bothered by concepts of sovereignty or politics, then you're probably going to be for Remain.

If, however, you think the UK's future is global, that the EU will form an ever shrinking proportion of our trade, that it increasingly be dominated by the eurozone, outvoting the UK, that the limited influence we'll retain doesn't compensate for the shared powers the EU has over the UK with its permanent QMV majority, and that it makes sense for the UK to be represented on global bodies itself independently and able to control its own trade deals, that you're confident an independent UK can be just as successful as other smaller anglosphere nations, controlling both its own laws and borders, even if this causes some short term disruption to the existing economic order, but you feel it has to be done and it won't be that bad, then you're probably going to be for Leave.
    Very nice summary indeed, except I would add to the Remainers that they believe they have plenty of sovereignty as things stand.
    Thanks Topping. I am very frustrated I can't convince you, and won't stop trying! ;-)
  • Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469
    MaxPB said:

On Hollyrood for a minute, Labour are going to oppose Trident and the SNP are going to raise taxes on the middle classes. Should be a good opportunity for the Tories to capitalise and push for second place and for Ruth to become LOTO.

Sorry to disappoint you, but Ruth is being ignored as she is irrelevant. Even her pals in the Glasgow media can't get enthused about her campaign. Plus, she may have been seen to relevant if the Tories in government at Westminster weren't seen as a car crash in slow motion.

Believe it or not, we do watch the same news on the BBC as the people in England and we can actually read, yes, some of us in the northern counties can read, all those black things on white paper that are printed in deepest, darkest parts of London.

When we see the shenanigans going on between the inners and outers in the euReferendum, we in Scotland, on both sides of the independence argument, share a wry smile when we are not falling off the park bench, spilling our Buckie, laughing.
  • Options
    OchEye said:

we in Scotland, on both sides of the independence argument, share a wry smile when we are not falling off the park bench, spilling our Buckie, laughing.

I am continuously amused by the SNP spouting all the lines from the BetterTogether playbook, apparently with a straight face
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    I have always been a leaver..but I will vote remain..mainly because the entire edifice will crumble during the next decade..and then we can deal with anyone we want..
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, I don't believe something because the shaman says so, and don't disbelieve it because the poison dwarf says so. I'm quite content to make up my own mind instead of contracting out my critical faculties to Ecclestone, Putin, Cameron or Obama.

Wasn't Poisoned Dwarf the nickname Wogan gave to Charlene Tilton in Dallas? I can't recall her character name, Lucy ?
  • Options

If you're referring to the 1066 conquest, you're wrong. How wrong? Let me count the ways:
    2) The upper class changed. It wasn't a whole new people, just a new dynasty and some earls.
    3) The general composition of the population (Anglo-Saxon) was unchanged, barring a few nobles. There was no mass migration.
    4) England was/is comprised of native Celts, Angles, Saxons, Jutes and the odd Viking. Wales and Scotland are Celtic, likewise Northern Ireland.

We're so much like the French that Churchill tried to unite France and The UK into one country.
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

Mr Dancer, surely this will convince you to back Remain? I mean come on, if Bernie is backing Leave then it is a truly bad idea.

Bernie Ecclestone says Vladimir Putin should run Europe as Formula One boss backs Brexit

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/bernie-ecclestone-says-vladimir-putin-should-run-europe-and-britain-should-get-out-the-eu-a6991501.html
    90% of Guardian readers support Remain, as do Gerry Adams, Martin McGuiness, Nicola Sturgeon, Natalie Bennett and Emma Thompson.

What true Conservative would want to be on the same side as that lot?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Australians, Americans, Canadians etc... are or were British at some point. Our royal family is German and our language has Germanic roots rather than Latin roots. How you can identify closer to France than Australia (with whom we share our head of state) or the US (a nation founded by this one) then it's little wonder that you seem so attached to the EU.
    When Australia is beating us in the cricket, I don't feel very culturally close to them.

The rest of the time is different, of course.
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

90% of Guardian readers support Remain, as do Gerry Adams, Martin McGuiness, Nicola Sturgeon, Natalie Bennett and Emma Thompson.

So, it's stand by Galloway, stand by McGuinness, or stand by myself in a corner crying?

I think I know the answer to that one.
  • Options
    edited April 2016

Good morning, everyone.

I am struck by how many people see the EU's greatest function as a leash to restrain a Tory government.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

runnymede said:

The rise in GDP will be wholly captured by the richest 1% or even 0.1%.

Cool!
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,554
    edited April 2016

Good morning, everyone.

I was on the same side as most of them during the Scottish IndyRef.

I see those, and raise you George Galloway, The BNP, and The EDL.

This is a contest that neither of us are going to win.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

No idea how anyone can feel that close to the French except if they have family roots there I guess.
    My family name seems to be have been disproportionately in Lancashire in the 1881 census !
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    I'm glad people agree with me on the culturally closer to Europe thing.

Proof, if proof be needed (it's not), is our unbroken common European arts heritage. We share that common culture of literature (Shakespeare, Moliere, Cervantes), painting (Picasso, Cezanne, Lewis) and of course many more.

Happily, the Americans and the Australians (and the Indians), have forged their own cultural heritage and common cultural references (the great American novel, Aboriginal art, etc).

Edit: I'm sneaking Lewis in there but although I admire him greatly I'm not completely sure he deserves to be in such exalted company.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

No idea how anyone can feel that close to the French except if they have family roots there I guess.
    My family name seems to be have been disproportionately in Lancashire in the 1881 census !
    Ditto Lancashire.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

Good morning, everyone.

I am struck by how many people see the EU's greatest function as a leash to restrain a Tory government.
    Quite a lot of them are at the top of the Conservative Party,
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

When Australia is beating us in the cricket, I don't feel very culturally close to them.

The rest of the time is different, of course.
    Well hopefully we'll beat them at rugby this summer just like we beat them at cricket last summer. :D
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

You can go off some people very quickly.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, Henry V had a similar approach, but that didn't mean he was a Francophile.

Miss Plato, I'm not sure. It fits Ecclestone and (over the qualifying debacle) Todt.
  • Options
    runnymede said:

chestnut said:

Good morning, everyone.

Please name these people.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    edited April 2016

You right @Morris, except there were rather more than a few odd Vikings. IIRMHC, Yorkshire and Lincolnshire were heavily settled by Viking warlords and their gangs.There was also heavy intermarrying with the local wenches for nearly a century. (EDIT) Take into account that the whole population for the British isles was about 3 million at this time and at the time of the Norman Conquest.
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

I was on the same side as most of them during the Scottish IndyRef.

I see those, and raise you George Galloway, The BNP, and The EDL.

This is a contest that neither of us are going to win.
    George Galloway/BNP and Nicola Sturgeon/Gerry Adams were in reverse places during the IndyRef. I'm sure ISIS and Hezbollah have a view on Brexit too, but, not only is it irrelevant: I couldn't care less.

I agree it is silly for either side to raise it.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

Good morning, everyone.

Whilst I've no problem with TTIP, it's very appealing to Labour swing voters - the way different positions are coalescing for all sorts of perverse motivations is fascinating.
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, Henry V had a similar approach, but that didn't mean he was a Francophile.

Miss Plato, I'm not sure. It fits Ecclestone and (over the qualifying debacle) Todt.

Which reminds me, I need to rewatch the first season of The Hollow Crown, season two starts next month
  • Options

runnymede said:

chestnut said:

Good morning, everyone.

The PM and the Chancellor would be included.
  • Options
    Mr. K, not really my period but I think there's relatively fewer compared to the mass migration from northern Germany and nearby areas around 500AD. Plenty of Vikings in Yorkshire, of course (and some Yorkshire slang, such as lekking [which other people seem to think is 'laking'] is still used).

On an unrelated note, the boiler is broken. The engineer will arrive at an indeterminate point between 10am and 2pm. Which is irksome.
  • Options
    edited April 2016

Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

You can go off some people very quickly.
    Most likely concentrated in Merseyside.
  • Options

runnymede said:

chestnut said:

Good morning, everyone.

A certain George Osborne comes to mind. :P
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Good morning, everyone.

So, it's stand by Galloway, stand by McGuinness, or stand by myself in a corner crying?

When the night has come. And the land is dark.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    edited April 2016
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

I think we are something of our own blend. In the US I can note some of our Europeaness: Social attitudes mainly, on matters of religion (or the general lack of it), guns, homosexuality (marriage), drink, and even oddly meal times where the American predilection for queuing up outside the steak house at 5.50 in the afternoon remains a source of comical wonder. However, it remains an incontrovertible fact of life that I feel more "at home" in rural New England than Paris, massively so in Melbourne compared to Helsinki, and even in India there are moments where you are sipping tea while the TV mentions a "ripping cover drive" where you think hmmm not as alien as you first think is it?

None of that for one moment means I won't continue to revel in the Loire Valley, the snowy wonders of Savoy, enjoy too much tapas, love my German car, and admire the fact the Czechs were really onto something when they discovered Pilsner.

At heart I simply want to decide things for myself through the entity I feel loyalty too, and that's not "Europe".
  • Options
    runnymede said:

runnymede said:

chestnut said:

Good morning, everyone.

The PM and the Chancellor would be included.
    The are the people that took the Tory Party from 198 MPs to 331 MPs. Strange way of trying to restrain a Tory government,

Either you're drunk or a spoof, or possibly both. Even your fellow Leavers will cringe at your posts.
  • Options
    Incidentally, the Spectator has a competition for a rude poem about Erdogan. No specific cut-off point, though the winner (who gets £1,000) will be announced on 23 June.
    http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/04/introducing-the-president-erdogan-offensive-poetry-competition/

Not into poetry, but I am into getting a thousand pounds for a small amount of work, so I shall try and compose an entry.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

I'm glad people agree with me on the culturally closer to Europe thing.

Proof, if proof be needed (it's not), is our unbroken common European arts heritage. We share that common culture of literature (Shakespeare, Moliere, Cervantes), painting (Picasso, Cezanne, Lewis) and of course many more.

Happily, the Americans and the Australians (and the Indians), have forged their own cultural heritage and common cultural references (the great American novel, Aboriginal art, etc).

It's certainly - and sadly - true that many Australians think differently about the relationship with the UK than they used to. 40 years ago, Australia's trade and business links were largely with the UK. Now, given they are resource exporting economy, China dominates their economy, and the people I know are more concerned with making sure their kids learn Mandarin and do internships with Chinese companies.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Good morning, everyone.

Dunce .... :smile:
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,970
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Our legal and political systems - and of course our language which is the whole basis of cultural affinity - are far closer to the US and Australia than to France or anywhere else in Europe.

I am afraid whatever you might feel it is not reality.

This discussion has been closed.