Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » And so the 2016 White House Race moves to delegate-rich New

Comments

• Options
    Well this is going to help Jeremy Hunt

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/722532123903705088
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    "about 3/4 of GOP #NYPrimary voters want winner of most votes to get nomination, not delegates' choice, per prelim exit polls "

"about 2/3 of GOP #NYPrimary voters want someone outside establishment, per preliminary exit polls "

When you take those two together, and assume GOP voters are rational actors - you end up with Cruz in negative territory.
  • Options

Layne said:

Philip Hammond is a dull old man. Theresa May is an incompetent who tried to reduce immigration yet managed to actually get it up. Michael Fallon is a nonentity.

If the Conservatives want to recover from the treacherous Cameron and Osborne then they need to put in a rising star like Priti Patel or Dominic Raab.

or Adolf Hitler who depending on your stance will be fronting Remain or Leave next week ( source Scott P )
    Fair go, Mr Brooke, but in an earlier post you said either the Conservative Party should get a real leader or be put down.

You might not like all that Priti Patel stands for but, by the cringe, you can't accuse her of lacking the guts to lead. She, or someone like her, is probably the best chance the Conservatives have or even surviving as a major party, much less winning the next GE with an overall majority.
    Andrea and Pritti have the cojones. Graham Brady as an outside shot as he can carry the back benchers and the LEAVErs.
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474

Layne said:

Philip Hammond is a dull old man. Theresa May is an incompetent who tried to reduce immigration yet managed to actually get it up. Michael Fallon is a nonentity.

If the Conservatives want to recover from the treacherous Cameron and Osborne then they need to put in a rising star like Priti Patel or Dominic Raab.

or Adolf Hitler who depending on your stance will be fronting Remain or Leave next week ( source Scott P )
    Fair go, Mr Brooke, but in an earlier post you said either the Conservative Party should get a real leader or be put down.

You might not like all that Priti Patel stands for but, by the cringe, you can't accuse her of lacking the guts to lead. She, or someone like her, is probably the best chance the Conservatives have or even surviving as a major party, much less winning the next GE with an overall majority.
    Mr Llama, can you think of any other leader who has succeeded in damaging his party as much, in such a short time?
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,977

Sean_F said:

tlg86 said:

Brilliant, in time for PMQs too.

Labour's John McDonnell has backed thousands of teachers and nurses to walk out on strike and vowed to bring down the Government through direct action.

In an incendiary speech, the Shadow Chancellor said the era of Labour leaders refusing to back strike action is “over”.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/labours-john-mcdonnell-wants-angry-7789957

There are a few things going on that I know about that suggest there could be some coordinated action which would be fun.
    If there's one thing that's going to help the Tories unite it is the prospect of 1970sesque strikes.
    Tories unite ? ROFL

They're tearing strips out of each other, it reminds me of the Nat bollocks that all the jocks would be big pals and kiss and make up. How did that work out ?

The Tories have lost the plot, they've gone for victory at any price and that price might be a permanently split party. 4kin stupid.

If you seriously imagine that Labour won't play the remainers words back on them and that UKIP won;t play the Leavers words back, where both sides Tories have agreed their conservative colleagues are useless lying twats then as Macauliffe said your'e "Nuts"
    Mr. Brooke, I rather think that thanks to Cameron's total absence of leadership skills and inability/desire to think two steps ahead the Conservative party is heading for the split of all splits. I cannot see a way back from the position Cameron has put his Party.

The membership under his leadership has already plunged to a new low and that is before the events of this summer have played out. Cameron may well go down in history as the chap who fecked it all up, his party and the UK.

If Labour had a sensible leadership team (e.g. Southam Observer, gent of this parish,
    plus whoever he chose), they would be streets ahead right now and on course for a massive majority in 2020.

Perhaps it is the genius of our system that only people who are unfit and or incapable of doing the job are given the chance to actually do it.
    I have no regrets about leaving the Conservative Party (in line with about 250,000 others).
    I increasingly don't see the point of it.

There's got to be someone to win elections.

• Options
    Speedy said:

First Exit Poll leaks:

Dem side.

34% are Liberal or V.Liberal (read left).
    16% under age 30.

The key stat is that 0% are independents and 100% are democrats.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068
    runnymede said:

runnymede said:

Scott_P said:

@iankatz1000: Former WTO chief Pascal Lamy tells us tonight: "The notion tht you exit the EU tradewise at no price is simply a lie" Watch 22.30 #newsnight

Funny how he is Former WTO chief rather than Former EU Trade Commissioner and the man considered the cheerleader for complete integration of the EU into a single state. The man quite literally who coined the phrase 'the answer is more Europe'.

http://www.politico.eu/article/an-eu-mandarins-call-for-more-integration-pascal-lamy/
    Now we have his full cv, perhaps you could respond to his point of substance?
    You could try reading Patrick Minford's book, among other things. Though I imagine you would prefer to just take these kinds of off the cuff remarks by 'authority figures' on trust.
    It was, as is par for the course sadly from the most ardent Leavers, a volcanic eruption of ad hominem, as if that somehow addressed the question of the likelihood of Britain securing an exit cost free on its preferred terms.

If you have any points you think are of particular relevance in Professor Minford's book, do let me know (always assuming that you've actually read it yourself).
    There's a non-technical summary of his key arguments (which I imagine suits you best) here.

http://www.cityam.com/239128/the-treasury-has-it-entirely-wrong-the-british-economy-would-gain-from-brexit
    I don't believe Patrick Minford wrote that. I know Patrick, and I simply don't think those words are his.

In particular, I think the bit on EU vs WTO rules is grossly misleading. The tariffs that the EU imposes on goods from outside the EU are lower than are imposed by Swiss on non-EEA imports, by Americans or Canadians on non- NAFTA, and by Australia and Japan.

Patrick knows all this, and his views are much more nuanced than this piece suggests. He is, as am I, a fan of Brexit. And I agree that the Treasury's numbers aren't worth the paper they are written on, but the Customs Union stuff is not his words.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,019

Scott_P said:

@iankatz1000: Former WTO chief Pascal Lamy tells us tonight: "The notion tht you exit the EU tradewise at no price is simply a lie" Watch 22.30 #newsnight

Funny how he is Former WTO chief rather than Former EU Trade Commissioner and the man considered the cheerleader for complete integration of the EU into a single state. The man quite literally who coined the phrase 'the answer is more Europe'.

http://www.politico.eu/article/an-eu-mandarins-call-for-more-integration-pascal-lamy/
    Now we have his full cv, perhaps you could respond to his point of substance?
    His point has no substance. His answer to every problem that be sets the EU is remove power from the nation states and give it to the bureaucrats. He sees every possible European issue in those terms and as a result his views are worthless in this debate.
    Still not addressing the point and still just wallowing in ad hominem.
    Nope. And coming from the man whose whole contribution to the EU debate consists of ad hominem attacks for months on end whilst the rest of us actually discuss matters of substance I am afraid your moaning is falling on deaf ears.

It's like asking Nick Griffin to give a measure appraisal of immigration policy.
    Leavers really are in trouble if their response to "but more or less every foreign minister in the EU and half the world's economic apparatchiki are saying that what Leave is asking for is simply not going to happen" is "lizard illuminati Bilderberg people aren't allowed opinions".
    My response was to a specific individual. In terms of balanced opinion quite possibly the most discredited person in the whole EU. Though I do understand you are trying hard to claim that title for yourself. You can live in your own little Europhile fantasy world if you like but the rest of us will carry on making informed contributions to the debate.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    Pulpstar said:

Speedy said:

Here is a good website that gives a live detail analysis of the N.Y. primary:

http://www.benchmarkpolitics.com/

I've tried to do a quick NY crib sheet.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12XTJWLWV46JDsxMso6ID_BlV0_6irPEyyY9kzxIm9iY/edit#gid=0

Tiny Bronx County (In terms of GOP voters) has an entire CD to itself !
    Not a coincidence that Cruz campaigned there (he has the most robust micro-targeting campaign inherited from Paul) and received a number of eggshells.

Cruz had only 2 campaign appearances, one was in the Bronx, the other in Utica if I remember. But he went on all the TV morning shows and Late Night ones in the past 5 days.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,324
    edited April 2016
    watford30 said:

I apologise, once seen, it can never be unseen

https://twitter.com/MSmithsonPB/status/722426152363651072

They want Leave to fail. There can be no other explanation. Presumably, they've concluded that Remain will wreak the most havoc with the Tories. They care more about getting their own back on the Tories than Brexit.
    Farage and chums are terrified of losing their Euro MP gigs. Generous salaries, no questions asked 'allowances'. Plus one can stick it up Cameron as well. What's not to like?
    You have a point. In some ways I'll enjoy Brexit. The Leavers' euphoria will last all of 10 milliseconds, and it will be interesting to see what they get round to being vexed about next. (Surely they won't suddenly all fall in love with the modern age.) I look forward to the Daily Mail headline in a decade's time, denouncing our (incompetently negotiated) trade deal with Canada and declaring that British beef will be replaced with moose offal.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    What time do we get actual exit polls?
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554
    SeanT said:

My younger daughter's Australian mother is in town. And she just said to me, in awe, that "Nowhere in the world does Spring like England". And she is entirely right.

Enjoy it while it lasts, as soon as we leave the EU all that is Great about Britain will be destroyed. At least I think that's what Dave and George were saying.

• Options
    @HiIlIaryClinton 3m3 minutes ago

Since exit polls have Hillary Clinton up 18% in #NYPrimary, Bernie Sanders supporters might as well stay home. Catch up on some Netflix.

Cheeky spoof account lol
  • Options

What time do we get actual exit polls?

In 3 hours and 43 minutes I think.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Labour's John McDonnell has backed thousands of teachers and nurses to walk out on strike and vowed to bring down the Government through direct action.

In an incendiary speech, the Shadow Chancellor said the era of Labour leaders refusing to back strike action is “over”.

There are a few things going on that I know about that suggest there could be some coordinated action which would be fun.
    If there's one thing that's going to help the Tories unite it is the prospect of 1970sesque strikes.
    Tories unite ? ROFL

They're tearing strips out of each other, it reminds me of the Nat bollocks that all the jocks would be big pals and kiss and make up. How did that work out ?

The Tories have lost the plot, they've gone for victory at any price and that price might be a permanently split party. 4kin stupid.

If you seriously imagine that Labour won't play the remainers words back on them and that UKIP won;t play the Leavers words back, where both sides Tories have agreed their conservative colleagues are useless lying twats then as Macauliffe said your'e "Nuts"
    Mr. Brooke, I rather think that thanks to Cameron's total absence of leadership skills and inability/desire to think two steps ahead the Conservative party is heading for the split of all splits. I cannot see a way back from the position Cameron has put his Party.
    "inability to think two steps ahead" is Cameron's biggest fault and Osborne's. Strategic geniuses? My ar*e.
  • Options
    More Exit Poll leaks:

64% of GOP voters want an outsider.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,019

watford30 said:

They want Leave to fail. There can be no other explanation. Presumably, they've concluded that Remain will wreak the most havoc with the Tories. They care more about getting their own back on the Tories than Brexit.
    Farage and chums are terrified of losing their Euro MP gigs. Generous salaries, no questions asked 'allowances'. Plus one can stick it up Cameron as well. What's not to like?
    You have a point. In some ways I'll enjoy Brexit. The Leavers' euphoria will last all of 10 milliseconds, and it will be interesting to see what they get round to being vexed about next. (Surely they won't suddenly all fall in love with the modern age.) I look forward to the Daily Mail headline in a decade's time, denouncing our (incompetently negotiated) trade deal with Canada and that British beef will be replaced with moose offal.
    More sad stereotyping..
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,324
    edited April 2016
    Deleted!

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,584
    edited April 2016
    Oh my, perfect timing for PMQs Part Deux

Corbyn’s adviser caught bragging that Tata steel crisis was 'good for Labour'

Andrew Fisher told militant Momentum group the threat to thousands of jobs had 'played very well for us'

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/politics/7088754/Corbyns-top-policy-adviser-caught-bragging-to-hard-left-comrades-the-Tata-steel-crisis-was-good-for-Labour.html
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    51% of GOP voters say Wall Street hurts the economy.
    And 1/3rd say they voted against Trump.

50% say they are somewhat conservative
  • Options

watford30 said:

You have a point. In some ways I'll enjoy Brexit. The Leavers' euphoria will last all of 10 milliseconds, and it will be interesting to see what they get round to being vexed about next. (Surely they won't suddenly all fall in love with the modern age.) I look forward to the Daily Mail headline in a decade's time, denouncing our (incompetently negotiated) trade deal with Canada and declaring that British beef will be replaced with moose offal.
    I'm looking forward to the sight of Osborne bagging up rolls of wallpaper at the till, when he returns to working in the family shop.
  • Options

Andrew Fisher told militant Momentum group the threat to thousands of jobs had 'played very well for us'

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/politics/7088754/Corbyns-top-policy-adviser-caught-bragging-to-hard-left-comrades-the-Tata-steel-crisis-was-good-for-Labour.html

It's irrelevant.

Tory self destruction is the only game in town now.
  • Options
    glw said:

SeanT said:

My younger daughter's Australian mother is in town. And she just said to me, in awe, that "Nowhere in the world does Spring like England". And she is entirely right.

Enjoy it while it lasts, as soon as we leave the EU all that is Great about Britain will be destroyed. At least I think that's what Dave and George were saying.

No more lovely spring days if we exit? Shudder. It could be a daily mash page.
  • Options
    64% of Dem voters think that Wall Street is bad for the economy.

So that's a majority in both main parties that say that the Stock Market and Free Trade are bad for the economy.
  • Options
    watford30 said:

watford30 said:

I'm looking forward to the sight of Osborne bagging up rolls of wallpaper at the till, when he returns to working in the family shop.
    That would be beyond his ability to get right.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Albania. Albania. It's hard to rhyme...

https://twitter.com/ft/status/722516044275978240
  • Options
    John King on CNN said that Cruz internal Indiana polling has him slumping from a double digit lead to a tie in the last week.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048
    watford30 said:

It's irrelevant.

Tory self destruction is the only game in town now.
    Yep. It's funny, because he was right, it did play well for Labour (at least inasmuch it made the Tories look bad), so it won't matter he bragged about it.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    From here I can make an estimate that Trump has cleared the 50% mark in the N.Y. Exit Poll:

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/live-republican-primary-exit-poll-analysis/story?id=38487665

How much above 50% I do not know.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,137
    I think Eagles had his analogies a bit out .

Osborne has suggested that a battered wife Britain should give the blowjobs, cook the dinner and pay for the privilege after divorce.

Perhaps Britain would need a better divorce lawyer than Osborne ?

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146
    Speedy said:

John King on CNN said that Cruz internal Indiana polling has him slumping from a double digit lead to a tie in the last week.

After tonight the pressure will really mount on Cruz and Kasich to fold. Neither of them can win the nomination outright now and the momentum will keep building for Trump.

I still think the convention will be a coronation for Trump and the GOP will try to pretend that the frantic efforts to stop him didn't happen.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    I wouldn't be touching that Saudi bond issue with a ten foot bargr pile.
  • Options
    "Confident to get 3 or 4 delegates"

Seriously, Kasich should get the hell out the race.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,033

Speedy said:

After tonight the pressure will really mount on Cruz and Kasich to fold. Neither of them can win the nomination outright now and the momentum will keep building for Trump.

I still think the convention will be a coronation for Trump and the GOP will try to pretend that the frantic efforts to stop him didn't happen.
    Kasich's La Mancha-style campaign is extremely beneficial to Trump's quest for an outright majority and I am not surprised that he is favourite as VP nominee - I don't think Cruz's nominee though!
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

He's holding on for the VP slot.
  • Options
    Kasich helps Trump in some states and hurts him in others depending on the rules. Overall a positive though I think according to Sam Wang's post Ohio analysis.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956
    Raab needs to be more visible in the Leave campaign - he is a real communicator.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Kasich is definitely 2nd and Cruz 3rd in the Exit Polls.
  • Options
    13% of voters would not vote for Clinton. 18% of voters would not vote for Sanders. (In the general)

Hints at a Clinton win.
  • Options
    Christian Binae ‏@ULoveMeUHateMe 2m2 minutes ago

MSNBC Breaking News Exit Polls: 60% find HRC honest & trustworthy. How'd this happen overnight? I smell a Rat. #CrookedHillary #FeelTheBern

Bernie fans crying into their humous.
  • Options

watford30 said:

watford30 said:

That would be beyond his ability to get right.
    I wonder where Osborne could be employed in the wallpaper business.

He knows f'all about accounts and you wouldn't dare have him interacting with customers.

I suppose he would be given some managerial non-job with a big title but little relevance.

• Options
    This is something I worry about that I might do

Ross County football club ticket sales are in chaos after company accidentally deletes its website

The problem has happened just days before the team’s big Scottish Premiership match against Celtic this weekend

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/ross-county-football-club-ticket-sales-are-in-chaos-after-company-accidentally-deletes-its-website-a6991356.html
  • Options
    Arf I think I've encouraged a Bernie voter to GOTV on twitter :p
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Pulpstar said:

Speedy said:

First Exit Poll leaks:

Dem side.

34% are Liberal or V.Liberal (read left).
    16% under age 30.

The key stat is that 0% are independents and 100% are democrats.
    Not entirely - a decent chunk of registered Democrats like to think of themselves as "independents".

In the 2008 New York exit polls, 15% described themselves as an "independent voter" (even though that was impossible since the primary was closed to all registered independents).
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    N.Y Exit Poll, Dem side:

White 62%
    Black 21%
    Latino 13%
    Asian 1%

From this makeup I guess Hillary has around 55% of the vote.

GOP side:

Best to defeat Hillary:

Trump 56
    Kasich 21
    Cruz 16

From that makeup I guess Trump is in the low 50's.
  • Options

Ross County football club ticket sales are in chaos after company accidentally deletes its website

The problem has happened just days before the team’s big Scottish Premiership match against Celtic this weekend

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/ross-county-football-club-ticket-sales-are-in-chaos-after-company-accidentally-deletes-its-website-a6991356.html

Don't they have backup tapes ?

Or have they deleted them as well ?
  • Options

Who cares about some Fisher man when the Cabinet are calling each other fearmongerers and economic illiterates?
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    edited April 2016
    Pulpstar said:

Christian Binae ‏@ULoveMeUHateMe 2m2 minutes ago

MSNBC Breaking News Exit Polls: 60% find HRC honest & trustworthy. How'd this happen overnight? I smell a Rat. #CrookedHillary #FeelTheBern

Bernie fans crying into their humous.

I believe Trump has given her the nickname "Crooked Hillary". I think it is his best nickname yet.
  • Options

Looks like they have back up tapes and the website is back up
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Oops

@anthonyzach: The other significant thing about the Albanian relationship with the EU is that *Albania wants to join the EU* #gove #albanianmodel
  • Options

tlg86 said:

It depends if it is 1974 and Heath asking "Who governs Britain?" and getting the answer "Not you, sunshine" or 1979 and the dawn of the Thatcher era.

I would say that significant Trade Union discontent broke one Tory government and made another. A score draw 1 all.

Alternatively, you could say that the Unions in the Seventies brought down 2 consecutive governments and put 2 oppositions in. Arguably the 2 nil to the Trade Unions. Obviously in the early Eighties the result went the other way.
    Agreed.

Its always dangerous to assume history will repeat based on superficial similarities.

I remember when some Tories were eager to bomb the Bosnian Serbs in 1995 - "A Balkans Factor will unite the party and be worth 10% in the polls".
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Scott_P said:

Oops

@anthonyzach: The other significant thing about the Albanian relationship with the EU is that *Albania wants to join the EU* #gove #albanianmodel

Indeed all the countries that Gove mentioned have expressed a desire to join the EU, and access to the internal market is part of that process.

Perhaps after Brexit we could gain access as part of our re-application process...
  • Options

Looks like they have back up tapes and the website is back up
    So was this either a total non-story or an attempt to get Ross County some publicity.

What's happened to PB's man on the spot in that part of the world when he's needed.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

It depends if it is 1974 and Heath asking "Who governs Britain?" and getting the answer "Not you, sunshine" or 1979 and the dawn of the Thatcher era.

I would say that significant Trade Union discontent broke one Tory government and made another. A score draw 1 all.

Alternatively, you could say that the Unions in the Seventies brought down 2 consecutive governments and put 2 oppositions in. Arguably the 2 nil to the Trade Unions. Obviously in the early Eighties the result went the other way.
    Its always dangerous to assume history will repeat based on superficial similarities.
    Damn, well there goes my whole strategy.

Good night.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    watford30 said:

Layne said:

Mr Llama, can you think of any other leader who has succeeded in damaging his party as much, in such a short time?
    Peel
  • Options
    N.Y. Exit Poll GOP

Change 35%
    Values 28%
    Tells it like it is 26%
    Can win 8%

That gives me an estimate of Trump being around 53%.
  • Options
    Charles said:

watford30 said:

Layne said:

Peel
    The piece I wrote for the last weekend, but I ended up delaying to this weekend, was comparing David Cameron to Sir Robert Peel
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited April 2016
    Cash-strapped ISIS kills its own wounded fighters to sell their ORGANS on the black market as they run out of money following significant loss of territory

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3548381/Cash-strapped-ISIS-kills-wounded-fighters-sell-ORGANS-black-market-run-money-following-significant-loss-territory.html

Not sure I buy this story....how would they transport them etc in time.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    AndyJS said:

Interesting that Trump is going to have his best ever performance in liberal New York.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/ny/new_york_republican_presidential_primary-4222.html

No-one have any idea about this?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    Tata Steel's Port Talbot chief Stuart Wilkie is to launch a management buyout of the company's operations in the UK.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-36087767
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    Charles said:

watford30 said:

Layne said:

Peel
    Clegg?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

Interesting that Trump is going to have his best ever performance in liberal New York.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/ny/new_york_republican_presidential_primary-4222.html

New Yorkers are like Yorshireman - unbearably pleased with themselves, and that's more important than anything else, so a New Yorker would do well no matter what.

Apologies to Yorkshire residents, and anyone with actual evidence to support their opinions on why Trump is doing well.
  • Options

Charles said:

watford30 said:

Layne said:

Peel
    The piece I wrote for the last weekend, but I ended up delaying to this weekend, was comparing David Cameron to Sir Robert Peel
    But Peel was only brought down by the cunning and unprincipled Dizzy.

Who is today's Dizzy? And which Bentinck gives Dizzy balance?
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    kle4 said:

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

New Yorkers are like Yorshireman - unbearably pleased with themselves, and that's more important than anything else, so a New Yorker would do well no matter what.

Apologies to Yorkshire residents, and anyone with actual evidence to support their opinions on why Trump is doing well.
    Thanks for the reply but I made a mistake — it was supposed to be a re-quote of my question about whether there's going to be an exit poll for the EU referendum. Stupid me.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

It means that Trump isn't the extreme rightwinger much of the know nothing media portray him as.

Not also Trump's worst states tend to be the most reliably conservative ones in the Plains and Rockies.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

He's a shit, but he's their shit.
    Kasich is a complete non entity, and hasn't won anything. A vote for Kasich is pretty much a vote for Cruz in New York.
    Ted Cruz "New York values"
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

watford30 said:

Layne said:

Peel

That's why I pulled it, I couldn't work out. I did wonder if Gove could be Dizzy.

The opening to the thread is

So we have a Tory Prime Minister whose many critics said he is a traitor to the Tory cause, “a Liberal wolf in sheep’s clothing” because his final position reflected liberal ideas and about to do something that involved trade deals and tariffs that could end his Premiership and Leadership of the Tory Party, but enough of Sir Robert Peel and The Corn Laws.
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245

Cash-strapped ISIS kills its own wounded fighters to sell their ORGANS on the black market as they run out of money following significant loss of territory

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3548381/Cash-strapped-ISIS-kills-wounded-fighters-sell-ORGANS-black-market-run-money-following-significant-loss-territory.html

True dat. Same as SAS sniper kills 6 terrorists with one bullet.

The mail are past masters at printing total bollocks, that they know will generate clicks and revenue without having to go through the tedious process of providing sources or corroboration.

But to be fair, in the world of 24 hour online news, they aren't the only ones.
  • Options
    It would be rather symbolic if Trump wins in New York but Clinton doesn't.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Right now Hillary is getting 55 and Trump 53 in my estimates of the Exit Polls.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

kle4 said:

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

Thanks for the reply but I made a mistake — it was supposed to be a re-quote of my question about whether there's going to be an exit poll for the EU referendum. Stupid me.
    I don't need much excuse to complain about Yorkshireman, so I welcomed the inadvertent opportunity.

• Options
    I would be interested to see what Juncker is planning on doing to address the issue of excessive interference from Brussels. Most probably nothing.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    Speedy said:

AndyJS said:

Don't forget the polls don't close until 9pm EDT
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

I would be interested to see what Juncker is planning on doing to address the issue of excessive interference from Brussels. Most probably nothing.

The answer will be 'More Europe'.

As always.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

kle4 said:

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

Very unlikely to be an exit poll for the EURef for the same reasons as there wasn't one during the Indyref
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Speedy said:

AndyJS said:

I know, It's not my fault if they leak it hours in advance.
  • Options
    British exit poll rules alot tighter than US I think.
  • Options

MP_SE said:

The answer will be 'More Europe'.

As always.
    and re-education.
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

He says they need to work together more due to the economic clout issue. Which will no doubt mean working together more, and thus imposing more, in other areas, since it'll be argued it makes no sense to move in 2 different directions.

So not nothing. Just the opposite of what you'd think the problem would mean they'd do. So as ever, admission of a problem, or even tepid murmurs on reform, mean nothing as while they might recognise the issue, they are unwilling or incapable of addressing it.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,562

Charles said:

watford30 said:

Layne said:

Peel
    His political idol. Something the Tory party should have noticed as a huge red flag before they elected him.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

New York is his home state.
    His main rival implied that New York values are something to be ashamed of.
    He consistently does better among liberals / moderates than conservatives, who prefer Cruz. The state party does well and is not just for people on the extreme end of the right wing, unlike in some other liberal states.
    Another strong group of Trump supporters is white people living in areas with lots of minorities. New York qualifies.
    The region is good for him, almost as good as the South; he has taken 3 out of 4 north-eastern states including arch-liberal Vermont. At the macro level, he has taken 14/17 states east of the Mississippi, and only 6/15 states west of the it.
  • Options

Charles said:

watford30 said:

Layne said:

Peel
    His political idol. Something the Tory party should have noticed as a huge red flag before they elected him.
    Oh yes.

'Peel often started from a traditional Tory position in opposition to a measure, then reversed himself and became the leader in supporting liberal legislation.'
  • Options
    One of the more intriguing aspects of this campaign is the primaries, caucuses and others.

Before this election, people regarded primaries as mini-elections and caucuses as basically weird but OK. They came and went, you cast your ballot - or huddled in somebody's basement on a cold winter evening - and that was that. No big deal.

But - thanks to quotes from various RNC (and DNC) folks, to the effect that voters don't elect the candidates, but delegates do - coupled with revelations on both sides that becoming a delegate is a reward for party workers and volunteers as a way of saying Thank You, the deliberately arcane, complicated and mysterious mechanism of all this is being exposed for the first time, and it's not going well.

Enter Trump. After being outmaneuvered by Cruz in Colorado, (where the state GOP canceled any election or caucus at all, had party apparatchiks appoint delegates who then met for a 'convention'), he started to draw attention to this effective rule by cabal, where your vote is not a vote, but a suggestion, which may or may not be listened to.

To be clear - the rules are the rules, and the candidates had rule books issued to them, but even the former Colorado GOP chairman, when asked said he didn't think it passed the smell test.

One thing is for sure - in 4 years time the whole primary / caucus process will have been substantially revised.

It's almost as bad on the Democratic side - Super Delegates.
  • Options
    EPG said:

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

He consistently does better among liberals / moderates than conservatives, who prefer Cruz. The state party does well and is not just for people on the extreme end of the right wing, unlike in some other liberal states.
    Another strong group of Trump supporters is white people living in areas with lots of minorities. New York qualifies.
    The region is good for him, almost as good as the South; he has taken 3 out of 4 north-eastern states including arch-liberal Vermont. At the macro level, he has taken 14/17 states east of the Mississippi, and only 6/15 states west of the it.
    On the long run the GOP will do good to jettison the "crazies" west of the Mississippi, the vast majority of people live east of that river.

Those two halves look too incompatible now, if trying to placate the voters of Nebraska costs them votes in Florida, they should go for Florida as the bigger prize.

But their current strategy is good for their control of the Senate, each state has 2 senators regardless of size. A third of all Senators are elected by a very small fraction of the population, most of them in the west.
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

watford30 said:

Layne said:

Peel

That's why I pulled it, I couldn't work out. I did wonder if Gove could be Dizzy.

So we have a Tory Prime Minister whose many critics said he is a traitor to the Tory cause, “a Liberal wolf in sheep’s clothing” because his final position reflected liberal ideas and about to do something that involved trade deals and tariffs that could end his Premiership and Leadership of the Tory Party, but enough of Sir Robert Peel and The Corn Laws.
    You should have pulled it for the grammar and sentence structure, not the content ;)
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Tim_B said:

Speedy said:

AndyJS said:

I know, It's not my fault if they leak it hours in advance.
    They're not leaks - if you want to take an exit poll and release it at 5pm, have at it.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    N.Y. Exit Poll GOP

Dissatisfied with government 47%
    Angry 36%
    Satisfied 17%

That's a very high value for Satisfied.
    These numbers are about the same as Virginia's.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146
    MP_SE said:

More interference from Luxembourg.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

N.Y. Exit Poll GOP

Angry 36%
    Satisfied 17%

Is that 36% angry 'with the government' or just generally angry?

In NYC...
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

watford30 said:

Layne said:

Peel

You should have pulled it for the grammar and sentence structure, not the content ;)
    It hasn't been polished yet, was a direct lift from a book.

It did contain some points that would have enraged the PB Tory leaver community.

Something along the lines of just like Thatcher he campaigned on the Remain side of a EC/EU referendum, but unlike her, never signed anything on a par with the Single European Act.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Speedy said:

N.Y. Exit Poll GOP

Angry 36%
    Satisfied 17%

Is that 36% angry 'with the government' or just generally angry?

In NYC...
    Angry with the government.
  • Options
    "NYers Reporting Numerous Problems Voting In Today's Primary"

http://gothamist.com/2016/04/19/ny_primary_live_updates.php
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

One of the more intriguing aspects of this campaign is the primaries, caucuses and others.

Before this election, people regarded primaries as mini-elections and caucuses as basically weird but OK. They came and went, you cast your ballot - or huddled in somebody's basement on a cold winter evening - and that was that. No big deal.

But - thanks to quotes from various RNC (and DNC) folks, to the effect that voters don't elect the candidates, but delegates do - coupled with revelations on both sides that becoming a delegate is a reward for party workers and volunteers as a way of saying Thank You, the deliberately arcane, complicated and mysterious mechanism of all this is being exposed for the first time, and it's not going well.

Enter Trump. After being outmaneuvered by Cruz in Colorado, (where the state GOP canceled any election or caucus at all, had party apparatchiks appoint delegates who then met for a 'convention'), he started to draw attention to this effective rule by cabal, where your vote is not a vote, but a suggestion, which may or may not be listened to.

To be clear - the rules are the rules, and the candidates had rule books issued to them, but even the former Colorado GOP chairman, when asked said he didn't think it passed the smell test.

One thing is for sure - in 4 years time the whole primary / caucus process will have been substantially revised.

It's almost as bad on the Democratic side - Super Delegates.

Colorado looks to be the absolute worst of the GOP process.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Nothing unusual ....
  • Options
    Speedy said:

EPG said:

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

On the long run the GOP will do good to jettison the "crazies" west of the Mississippi, the vast majority of people live east of that river.

Those two halves look too incompatible now, if trying to placate the voters of Nebraska costs them votes in Florida, they should go for Florida as the bigger prize.

But their current strategy is good for their control of the Senate, each state has 2 senators regardless of size. A third of all Senators are elected by a very small fraction of the population, most of them in the west.
    The Republicans have always been strong in the western Great Plains states, many of which only voted a handful of times for a Democrat. What's changed since the 1970s is that white Southern conservative politicians, especially in the Deep South which is east of the Mississippi, used to call themselves Democrats and now call themselves Republicans. This is why their party now enjoys its largest legislative majority since the years before F.D.R. - maybe they are not so crazy after all. However, in the long term, Democratic occupation of the presidency would lead to more executive and judicial constraint of Republican state and federal lawmakers.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

AndyJS said:

Nothing unusual ....
    Why are americans so incompetent when it comes to organizing an election ?
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    MP_SE said:

The usual remedy: More Europe.
This discussion has been closed.