Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Whittingdale: Will he survive or not survive?

Comments

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,300
    edited April 2016

Check the date -- July 2014. It wasn't that.
    Not sure I follow...Timeline is early 2014 woman tries to sell story to press, he ends it, they don't run story...then for the next year it is banded about other newspapers, none run it.

Why is her tweet from July 2014 problemic with that timeline?
    Because the question is: why is it news now, as opposed to last week or two years ago? The more likely culprits are either Labour or the Tories trying to move on from tax wars, but really I've not had time to do any kremlinology on the story.
    You could say the same about phone hacking. People in the know knew for years before it was all splashed in the Guardian. I was certainly aware that to some extent and why many switched to Crackberry's and I am a nobody.

One thing that "hacked off" are very keen to tell us today is that Wittingdale has been dragging his feet over this part of Leveson agreement that has yet to be brought into law. Just by chance some media organisations reported on this rather recently.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Not sure I follow...Timeline is early 2014 woman tries to sell story to press, he ends it, they don't run story...then for the next year it is banded about other newspapers, none run it.

Because the question is: why is it news now, as opposed to last week or two years ago? The more likely culprits are either Labour or the Tories trying to move on from tax wars, but really I've not had time to do any kremlinology on the story.
    Surely the kremlinology of this is that a Leaver can be replaced with a Remainer in control of press regulation.

• Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

You could say the same about phone hacking. People in the know knew for years before it was all splashed in the Guardian. I was certainly aware that to some extent and why many switched to Crackberry's and I am a nobody.

One thing that "hacked off" are very keen to tell us today is that Wittingdale has been dragging his feet over this part of Leveson agreement that has yet to be brought into law. Just by chance some media organisations reported on this rather recently.
    The papers are out before Newsnight. I'd be inclined to suspect one or other political parties.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,178
    re Nick Robinson's Europe: Them or us
    The French don't come out of it well.
    .. and they call England "La perfide Albion" !
    Nor does Heath for that matter.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    edited April 2016

Agree with Rafael Behr

David Cameron may be out of touch but it won’t help Labour

Voters prefer competence to compassion, so the opposition won’t gain ground by focusing on his wealth and privilege. Labour needs to prove its fitness to govern

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/apr/13/david-cameron-labour-competence-wealth-privilege

With Watson Labour are simply slipping back to the days of deadhead Ed, lots of activity but no action.

Watson's basically the class snitch taking pleasure in telling tales; nobody likes a snitch.
  • Options
    edited April 2016

The papers are out before Newsnight. I'd be inclined to suspect one or other political parties.
    Again I don't follow...the dam broke on this story because of ByLine piece which Private Eye confirmed they were running it this week (they confirmed this before Newsnight). I am presuming then that Wittingdale realised that it wasn't going to be on some obscure part of the net but in print with Private Eye that he had to say something and Newsnight ran with it.

I think Guido's podgy digits are pointing to how did it get to ByLine. I have no idea how true it is....my point was it is a small world who knows who.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,636
    edited April 2016
    geoffw said:

De Gaulle comes out as a complete shit.

He never got over the fact les grenouilles were invaded by the Germans, and we weren't and they needed our help to be liberated.

Insular and maritime!
  • Options

Agree with Rafael Behr

Voters prefer competence to compassion, so the opposition won’t gain ground by focusing on his wealth and privilege. Labour needs to prove its fitness to govern

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/apr/13/david-cameron-labour-competence-wealth-privilege

With Watson Labour are simply slipping back to the days of deadhead Ed, lots of activity but no action.

Watson's basically the class snitch taking pleasure in telling tales; nobody likes a snitch.
    Indeed, the voters prefer the quiet, understated competence of Osborne.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,178

geoffw said:

Couve de Murville was worse.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966

Agree with Rafael Behr

The CapX article said more or less the same

http://capx.co/class-war-the-battle-only-david-cameron-will-win/

I particularly liked
    Of course that didn’t stop social media being weighed down by a million hysterical posts to the contrary, but as political social media is about as representative of Britain as Disneyland Paris is of France, they had no effect whatsoever. Also again.

This sort of thing enrages the #CameronResign mob because they simply can’t understand it. Just like they couldn’t understand how millions of postings of that picture of a young Cameron with fellow Bullingdon Club members at Oxford didn’t hurt him, just like constant wails that he went to Eton didn’t hurt him, just like breathless Twitter posts of him shooting or hunting didn’t hurt him.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

geoffw said:

He never got over the fact les grenouilles were invaded by the Germans, and we weren't and they needed our help to be liberated.

Insular and maritime!
    Though the EU has changed quite noticeably for the better since 1973, in part due to our influence. Mrs Thatcher deserves the thanks of the nation for signing us up to the single market.

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,799

Agree with Rafael Behr

But the lesson of the Miliband years is that public mistrust of rich Tories doesn’t automatically rehabilitate confidence in Labour. And the lesson of the past week is that the prime minister is more vulnerable on incompetence than on income tax.
  • Options

Surely the kremlinology of this is that a Leaver can be replaced with a Remainer in control of press regulation.

By the time they get their feet under the desk, find out where the toilets are, and read enough about their new job to make a difference, the terms Remainer and Leaver will be irrelevant, we will have remained or left, atleast for the time being ;)
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,602
    JackW said:

Those calling for further action against Whittingdale should remember that he has already had his bottom smacked.

Mike, I think you've hit a bum note there ....
    I wish you'd both stop whipping up hysteria over this.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,328
    edited April 2016
    geoffw said:

Supermac's reputation wasn't exactly enhanced. He seems to have gone with barely a murmur from opposing strongly the EEC to stop (West) Germany's economic dominance, to more or less becoming a supplicant at De Gaulle's feet. In fact there appears to have been a whole lot of blowing hot and cold on all sides.
  • Options
    edited April 2016

JackW said:

Those calling for further action against Whittingdale should remember that he has already had his bottom smacked.

Mike, I think you've hit a bum note there ....
    I wish you'd both stop whipping up hysteria over this.
    I think some people are getting tied up in knots over this story...
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    Great article.
    Indigo said:

Agree with Rafael Behr

I particularly liked
    Of course that didn’t stop social media being weighed down by a million hysterical posts to the contrary, but as political social media is about as representative of Britain as Disneyland Paris is of France, they had no effect whatsoever. Also again.

This sort of thing enrages the #CameronResign mob because they simply can’t understand it. Just like they couldn’t understand how millions of postings of that picture of a young Cameron with fellow Bullingdon Club members at Oxford didn’t hurt him, just like constant wails that he went to Eton didn’t hurt him, just like breathless Twitter posts of him shooting or hunting didn’t hurt him.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Tory MP Jacob Rees-Mogg raises £5,000 for the Brexit campaign by auctioning off tea with his NANNY

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3537456/Tory-MP-Jacob-Rees-Mogg-raises-5-000-Brexit-campaign-auctioning-tea-NANNY.html

What can you say...thats the Mogster...
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited April 2016

Tory MP Jacob Rees-Mogg raises £5,000 for the Brexit campaign by auctioning off tea with his NANNY

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3537456/Tory-MP-Jacob-Rees-Mogg-raises-5-000-Brexit-campaign-auctioning-tea-NANNY.html

Great way to raise money, perhaps GO could get a similar sum auctioning a pint with Farage.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,464

Great article.

Indigo said:

Agree with Rafael Behr

I particularly liked

Required reading for all Labour MPs still unsure about mounting the coup this summer IMHO.
  • Options
    Brilliant brand exploitation :lol:

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @jameskirkup: Is there a more revoltingly sanctimonious individual in British public life than Evan Harris?
  • Options
    Over the years, any trust I had in them was chipped away. The reports from sensible people inside the organisation were increasingly despairing. You'd hear stories from fellow journalists in the pub of bullying and intimidation – of key figures in the campaign phoning up their editor to demand journalists publish apologies on their personal Twitter accounts for imagined offences. It all felt like people going a bit mad with power. And it helped vindicate the argument made by opponents of press regulation that no-one can be trusted with the responsibility.
    http://www.politics.co.uk/blogs/2016/04/13/whittingdale-story-destroys-the-last-vestiges-of-hacked-off
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

In light of overnight revelations might one ask if there are any strings attached ....

Or cords, ropes or straps. Some restraint with this story is strongly recommended.

• Options
    Scott_P said:

@jameskirkup: Is there a more revoltingly sanctimonious individual in British public life than Evan Harris?

Tom Watson
  • Options
    @IanDunt: Hacked Off are now just as bad as those they campaign against https://t.co/PwoJRQabEC
  • Options
    BBC - If you want to earn a big salary, study medicine or economics, says (IFS).

Great chart showing different degrees and a breakdown of wages 10 years after graduation.

Guess where ‘Creative arts’ comes in the league table :lol:
  • Options
    Douglas Carswell will be asking Question 2 at PMQs.

Should be fun.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Scott_P said:

There is another Evan that springs to mind ;) But its traditional for leaders of the LDs to take the top spot for sanctimony :D
  • Options
    @BBCPropaganda: For the record, has anybody in hacked off ever slept with a hooker? Asking for the Daily Mirror. #BBCDP
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Plenty and many of them in the blogosphere and media ... :smiley:
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,005
    JackW said:

In light of overnight revelations might one ask if there are any strings attached ....

Or cords, ropes or straps. Some restraint with this story is strongly recommended.

All good nannies are stern disciplinarians.
  • Options
    Corbyn raises tax.

Should be fun
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,010

BBC - If you want to earn a big salary, study medicine or economics, says (IFS).

Great chart showing different degrees and a breakdown of wages 10 years after graduation.

Guess where ‘Creative arts’ comes in the league table :lol:

No wonder the NHS needs a bit of 'restructuring'.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

JackW said:

All good nannies are stern disciplinarians.
    CORRECT ... in every RESPECT .. :smile:
  • Options
    Cameron .... Ouch ....
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,014
    F1: just checked the times, and the pre-qualifying piece will be on Friday. Early starts this weekend, although not silly buggers like 5am.
  • Options
    @JGForsyth: Cameron now feels confident enough on tax to mock Corbyn for his tax return
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,636
    edited April 2016
    Cameron says Corbyn's tax return was a metaphor for Labour policy.

'It was late, it was inaccurate, it was chaotic and it was uncosted'
  • Options
    Corbyn .... Ouch

Touche .. :smile:
  • Options
    Good dig from Corbyn, saying he paid more tax than Osborne's family company
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Scott_P said:

@IanDunt: Hacked Off are now just as bad as those they campaign against https://t.co/PwoJRQabEC

That article makes a very good point....wittingdale's views were exactly the same 3-4 years ago as they are now, so why would the press be worried. It isn't as if he anti something, got into government & found he was the pro & that he had some connection to a load of lobby types.
  • Options
    LadyBucketLadyBucket Posts: 590
    Well, I think we can safely say the Labour Dirty Tricks Dept is well and truly up and running. Nothing to do with Damian McBride or Tom Watson I'm sure.
    It seems now that anyone can set the dogs running on a story by using the words, "well he/she may not have done anything wrong, but it's the PERCEPTION.
    I don't know where this is going but nobody in their right mind would want to go into politics.
  • Options
    Zac Goldsmith today launched his strongest attack yet on Sadiq Khan, accusing his London mayoral election rival of “giving platform, oxygen and cover” to extremists.

The Tory candidate said his Labour opponent had shown “appalling judgment” by speaking at events that included people with “repellent” views.

He accused Mr Khan of “hiding behind Britain’s Muslims” by branding as an “Islamophobe” anyone who spotlighted his record.

It is the first time Mr Goldsmith has directly challenged his rival in such ferocious language.

Mr Khan hit back by calling his comments “horribly desperate stuff from a Tory campaign that is clearly losing”.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/mayor/zac-goldsmith-accuses-rival-sadiq-khan-of-giving-platform-to-extremists-a3224246.html
  • Options

Cameron says Corbyn's tax return was a metaphor for Labour policy.

'It was late, it was inaccurate, it was chaotic and it was uncosted'

Who would have thought a week ago Cameron would be able to wave Corbyn's tax return around as a weapon against him....quite remarkable.
  • Options

Well, I think we can safely say the Labour Dirty Tricks Dept is well and truly up and running. Nothing to do with Damian McBride or Tom Watson I'm sure.
    It seems now that anyone can set the dogs running on a story by using the words, "well he/she may not have done anything wrong, but it's the PERCEPTION.
    I don't know where this is going but nobody in their right mind would want to go into politics.

Was it Labour, though, or is this dead cat blue?
  • Options

Is that a bit like Jahadi Jez giving the PERCEPTION he is in bed with terrorists? He better resign then.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

That article makes a very good point....wittingdale's views were exactly the same 3-4 years ago as they are now, so why would the press be worried. It isn't as if he anti something, got into government & found he was the pro & that he had some connection to a load of lobby types.
    Perhaps the press thought that damaging an ally who was dragging his feet over Leverson was not in their own interest.

However I'm sure there's a perfectly valid reason for the tabloids to spike the story that is entirely consistent with their previous form on such issues. I'm sure of it .. :smile:
  • Options
    edited April 2016

Looks Red to me.

https://twitter.com/RealNatalieRowe/status/487389545701601280?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

• Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited April 2016
    The attack line by Corbyn (which he has used before) about the resources going into to fighting tax avoidance and evasion at HMRC is an odd angle to go on. It just gives Cameron a hook for telling everyone that this government has done more than Labour ever did.
  • Options
    Better from Jezza at the start of PMQ's but then reverted to type. Poorly prepared with an inability to think on his feet.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Dan Hodges ‏@DPJHodges 16h16 hours ago
    Zack Goldsmith is a genuinely nice guy. But there's no avoiding it. His campaign has descended into base, Islamophobic dog-whistling.
  • Options
    Arguably Corbyn's best week

@faisalislam: Another first from Corbyn: zero crowdsourced questions at this #PMQs

Oh...
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

Zac Goldsmith today launched his strongest attack yet on Sadiq Khan, accusing his London mayoral election rival of “giving platform, oxygen and cover” to extremists.

The Tory candidate said his Labour opponent had shown “appalling judgment” by speaking at events that included people with “repellent” views.

He accused Mr Khan of “hiding behind Britain’s Muslims” by branding as an “Islamophobe” anyone who spotlighted his record.

It is the first time Mr Goldsmith has directly challenged his rival in such ferocious language.

Mr Khan hit back by calling his comments “horribly desperate stuff from a Tory campaign that is clearly losing”.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/mayor/zac-goldsmith-accuses-rival-sadiq-khan-of-giving-platform-to-extremists-a3224246.html

Zac is in big trouble. He could lose by 10 points.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Dan Hodges ‏@DPJHodges 16h16 hours ago
    Zack Goldsmith is a genuinely nice guy. But there's no avoiding it. His campaign has descended into base, Islamophobic dog-whistling.

Zac's got a chance then.
  • Options
    Good question from Angus Robertson. DWP fraud v tax fraud.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820

Wanderer said:

This is a non-story

Even lefty Kevin Maguire is annoyed that Whittingdale is under pressure.

Attempting to set an impossibly high bar for the conduct of our politicians in any and all aspects of their lives including ones not relevant to their jobs is not realistic and will rule out all kinds of people. We will end up with nothing but vanilla dullards who aren't very good.

Is there a JonTransBack btw?
    Very good

No

I am Jon C but I left for a few months after the 2010 election and couldn't remember my log in...as has happened on oooh about 97% of things online I have ever signed up to
    The report about JonC has gone chiral (reaches for coat).
  • Options
    Some interesting stuff from Maria Miller:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/apr/13/britain-needs-better-laws-stop-online-abuse-maria-miller-internet

She raises some good points, I think, even if the solutions are less obvious.
  • Options
    Haha.

Poor Douglas Carswell gets slammed by Dave.

Carswell: If the voters decide to vote to Leave the EU, will he remain in office and implement their wishes

Cameron: Yes
  • Options
    Cameron says he will not resign if Leave win.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    And I have news for all those obedient press poodles: there is more to come on this story. And you’re not going to stop it. You’re welcome.
    http://zelo-street.blogspot.dk/2016/04/whittingdale-its-conspiracy.html
  • Options

Haha.

Carswell: If the voters decide to vote to Leave the EU, will he remain in office and implement their wishes

Highly predictable response frankly.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Scott_P said:

@faisalislam: Another first from Corbyn: zero crowdsourced questions at this #PMQs

Oh...

The "internet machine" probably got buried under the mess as they turned his office upside down looking for that tax return among the massive collection of past editions of the Morning Star...
  • Options
    JonCisBackJonCisBack Posts: 911
    weejonnie said:

Wanderer said:

This is a non-story

Even lefty Kevin Maguire is annoyed that Whittingdale is under pressure.

Attempting to set an impossibly high bar for the conduct of our politicians in any and all aspects of their lives including ones not relevant to their jobs is not realistic and will rule out all kinds of people. We will end up with nothing but vanilla dullards who aren't very good.

Is there a JonTransBack btw?
    Very good

No

I am Jon C but I left for a few months after the 2010 election and couldn't remember my log in...as has happened on oooh about 97% of things online I have ever signed up to
    The report about JonC has gone chiral (reaches for coat).
    This is getting a bit obscure even for pb :-)

I might have to wheel out my joke about a Catholic priest who used to be an organic chemist...
  • Options

Looks Red to me.

2014 is two years ago: that's not a dead cat; it's a red herring. Look at today's PMQs: does it look like Labour wants to distract attention from tax stories? Corbyn led on tax.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Oh...

The "internet machine" probably got buried under the mess as they turned his office upside down looking for that tax return among the massive collection of past editions of the Morning Star...
    LOL. Or, no voter has actually written in about Cameron's Dad's tax affairs because they don't give a monkeys.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Zac Goldsmith gave "platform, oxygen and cover" to terrorists in 2012:

https://twitter.com/AdamBienkov/status/720168722627956736
  • Options

Haha.

Highly predictable response frankly.
    So one wonders why Carswell asked the question......
  • Options

So one wonders why Carswell asked the question......

@bbclaurak: I understand senior figures in Leave campaigns plan to argue they should be part of Brexit negotiations -wonder if he's teeing that up
  • Options

Haha.

I'd be surprised if Dave's position is politically tenable should we vote to leave, having invested so much capital into the "remain" campaign.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Pulpstar said:

Haha.

I'd be surprised if Dave's position is politically tenable should we vote to leave, having invested so much capital into the "remain" campaign.
    Agreed, although he might well stay on for a while to stabilise things while everyone figures out what on earth to do next.
  • Options

Looks Red to me.

2014 is two years ago: that's not a dead cat; it's a red herring.
    It fits the chronology

Between August 2013 and February 2014, I had a relationship with someone who I first met through Match.com,” he said in a statement. “She was a similar age and lived close to me. At no time did she give me any indication of of her real occupation and I only discovered this when I was made aware that someone was trying to sell a story about me to tabloid newspapers.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/apr/13/mp-john-whittingdale-had-relationship-with-sex-worker
  • Options
    edited April 2016

Some interesting stuff from Maria Miller:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/apr/13/britain-needs-better-laws-stop-online-abuse-maria-miller-internet

She raises some good points, I think, even if the solutions are less obvious.

Some reasonable points, but technically illiterate as ever. Twitter is running at 500 million tweets per day, the vast vast majority of the originating outside our jurisdiction, and indeed from jurisdictions with iron-clad free speech laws where saying pretty much anything is legal. How is Twitter supposed to review that volume of data, and supposing it found a tweet originating from the USA which might be considered offensive or abusive who precisely is it supposed to do about it without violating the American posters First Amendment rights and ending up in court over there.

This is especially the case considering some like The Guardian editors apparently see comments like "you are talking nonsense" as abusive, see yesterday's discussion, and even that would be dangerously forthright for the average student union discussion.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341

Haha.

Isn't that reassuring to people who have no desire to see (insert unsuitable candidate's name here) in charge if they vote Leave?

A post-Brexit Britain would be led by Cameron. That's one extremely major strand of uncertainty removed.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    If Corbyn had any political nous, he would challenge Cameron in Parliament to back Goldsmith's racist nonsense about Khan "giving cover to extremists".

Either Cameron would say yes, in which case his reputation as a non-racist "moderniser" and "nice guy" would be damaged.

Or he would say no or decline to answer, in which case Khan would be able to throw "even your party leader doesn't agree with you" whenever Goldsmith trotted out that line.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Haha.

Agreed, although he might well stay on for a while to stabilise things while everyone figures out what on earth to do next.
    This is Dave's diary on June 24th if we vote to leave

9am he invokes article 50.

9.01am he resigns as PM
  • Options
    Surprisingly vociferous response on a Brexit question from Cameron to a fellow tory.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Haha.

As I have said before in the circumstances of leave David Cameron needs to become a figurehead and a new unifying cabinet with Gove and Boris in leading positions created
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Danny565 said:

If Corbyn had any political nous, he would challenge Cameron in Parliament to back Goldsmith's racist nonsense about Khan "backing extremists".

Either Cameron would say yes, in which case his reputation as a "moderniser" and "nice guy" would be damaged.

Or he would say no, in which case Khan would be able to throw "even your party leader doesn't agree with you" whenever Goldsmith trotted out that line.

I am not sure that Corbyn would be wise to go anywhere near the subject. It will just generate the terrorist sympathiser line.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Haha.

9.01am he resigns as PM
    9.02am. Dave recommends to the Queen that TSE be appointed Benevolent Directly Elected Dictator (Elect).
  • Options
    @NigelpMorris: You wouldn't know David Cameron's just his 'worst week' #PMQs
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Haha.

If they are only trying to figure out what to do on 24th in the event of a Leave vote, they should all be sacked. Immediately.

Their job is to have contingency plans and implement them; wibble isn't the basis for paying a six figure salary
  • Options
    chestnut said:

Danny565 said:

If Corbyn had any political nous, he would challenge Cameron in Parliament to back Goldsmith's racist nonsense about Khan "backing extremists".

Either Cameron would say yes, in which case his reputation as a "moderniser" and "nice guy" would be damaged.

Or he would say no, in which case Khan would be able to throw "even your party leader doesn't agree with you" whenever Goldsmith trotted out that line.

I am not sure that Corbyn would be wise to go anywhere near the subject. It will just generate the terrorist sympathiser line.
    I'm not sure Cameron would feel comfortable publicly associating himself with a line of "Khan's dangerous because he's Muslim".
  • Options
    edited April 2016

9.01am he resigns as PM

Your forgot the bit in the middle, where he announces to the people "The Leave campaign have told you that there is no economic risk, that we don't need to be subject to EU freedom of movement, that new trade deals with the EU and dozens of other countries can be concluded very quickly, and that we'll be able to impose tariffs on imports we don't like. I look forward to seeing how well they do with that lot."
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    edited April 2016

Haha.

The point is to de-risk a Leave vote, surely? (edit: as chestnut has already said)
  • Options
    Well the IMF news of warnings of dangers of BREXIT have got rather knocked out of the news cycle.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Haha.

9.01am he resigns as PM
    I believe many more would consider voting leave if David Cameron will still lead the Government post 23rd June
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,694

Pulpstar said:

Haha.

9.01am he resigns as PM
    Which is why you're voting Remain.
  • Options

9.01am he resigns as PM

Your forgot the bit in the middle, where he announces to the people "The Leave campaign have told you that there is no economic risk, that we don't need to be subject to EU freedom of movement, that new trade deals with the EU and dozens of other countries can be concluded very quickly, and that we'll be able to impose tariffs on imports we don't like. I look forward to seeing how well they do with that lot."
    Note the language Douglas used "implement their wishes". I expect he was expecting the "yes" answer, in the event of a "leave" vote I expect he might well reference the PMs response.
  • Options

Well the IMF news of warnings of dangers of BREXIT have got rather knocked out of the news cycle.

along with tsunamis in Birmingham, death stars over London and Godzilla in Manchester.
  • Options
    Talking of dead cats...

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/apr/13/fbi-reportedly-paid-professional-hackers-gain-access-san-bernardino-iphone

My bulls##t detector has just gone off....they will very conveniently reveal to congress / Apple that there is such and such an exploit...but I bet you that isn't what they used and / or have others already available to them.
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492

Haha.

Brilliant question from Douglas as usual.

You see Dave lovers, he's going nowhere, vote Leave with your conscience clear.

Douglas is far cleverer than Cameron and Dave knows it. He called Reckless "fat arse", he never dared abuse Douglas.
  • Options

If they are only trying to figure out what to do on 24th in the event of a Leave vote, they should all be sacked. Immediately.

Well there was no planning for Sindy apparently, seems Governement and the civil service likes to put the house on odds on shots...
  • Options
    edited April 2016

9.01am he resigns as PM

No,no,no.

at 9.02am he says

"Thank Christ for that, now someone else can do that damn job and I can tell everyone what I really think. I really can't stand the EU, but of course in my job, you can't say such things or the Foreign Office will start buying umbrellas from the Bulgarians, and with the single market they don't even have to pay any tariffs on them! Do you think that clusterfuck about my taxes was an accident, but I did hope that Mr Corbyn would make a slightly better fist of it, but he couldn't even get that right. Still the right result was obtained in the end, and Richard, sorry about that, but you know, 'circumstances'"
  • Options
    edited April 2016

Their job is to have contingency plans and implement them; wibble isn't the basis for paying a six figure salary

Contigency plans for the immediate fall-out, of course, and I'm sure they have (indeed Mark Carney said so). But it is ludicrous to suggest that government should have plans for the impossible; it's hardly Cameron's responsibility to resolve the humongous contradiction at the heart of the Leave case. Only someone on the Leave side can break the bad news to voters; if Cameron tried to do that, all the Leavers would be screaming 'Betrayal!'.
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492

Pulpstar said:

Haha.

9.01am he resigns as PM
    So he lied at PMQs then?
  • Options
    DanSmithDanSmith Posts: 1,215
    JackW said:

Scott_P said:

Perhaps the press thought that damaging an ally who was dragging his feet over Leverson was not in their own interest.

However I'm sure there's a perfectly valid reason for the tabloids to spike the story that is entirely consistent with their previous form on such issues. I'm sure of it .. :smile:
    Yes this. There is a difference between choosing not to damage an ally, and blackmailing someone into changing political policy. Hacked Off have misunderstood as usual.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,436
    Danny565 said:

chestnut said:

Danny565 said:

I'm not sure Cameron would feel comfortable publicly associating himself with a line of "Khan's dangerous because he's Muslim".
    That wouldn't be the line though would it? It might be Labour's attempted portrayal of the line but I'm sure the public could distinguish the difference.
This discussion has been closed.