Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If the next CON leader betting prices are an indicator then

Comments

• Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    tyson said:

Nothing comes within a country mile of Leicester. There is no sporting story of any type of comparison. It is wonderfully intoxicating- and I say that as confirmed Man City fan. Of course the title will return back to Manchester next year under Pep. But for this year we can loan it out to those Midland Foxes. And maybe this year the mighty Blues can win the Champions League to add another inviting twist to an exhilarating season.

Anorak said:

Mr. Anorak, is that a reference to Brawn or Leicester?

Leicester. Brawn had a secret weapon (a cunning interpretation of the rules) which has happened in other years. Brabham in '78 tried it with their floor fan (which was banned, but otherwise they'd have walked it).

Leicester have no secret weapon. It's a glorious mystery how they've got to where they are; but it ain't no fluke run, that's for sure. Ferguson at Aberdeen doesn't come within a country mile of this.
    I really hope Leicester do it. It is a wonderful story.

I'd say John Daly's 1991 US PGA win was a bigger sporting shock though. What was he? Like ninth reserve, and drove to the course on the Thursday without a practice round? Nobody had ever heard of him. Amazing stuff.

Ivanisevic's wild card Wimbledon win in 2001 was a great underdog moment too.

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787

Ridiculous to say that Matthew Parris is any kind of careerist or snob. He was pouring vitriol over Blair when the rest of the right-wing media were swallowing his vacuous soundbites and grovelling to Campbell. Parris was a voice in the wilderness back then, flying the flag for Toryism when everyone else couldn't wait to abandon it. Had he wanted to ingratiate himself with the establishment or advance himself he would have joined that motley chorus.

Well said.

I don't always agree with what he says, but he usually says it with elegance & aplomb.

Lot of 'man' playing in the criticism of him......
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205
    Fenster said:

tyson said:

Nothing comes within a country mile of Leicester. There is no sporting story of any type of comparison. It is wonderfully intoxicating- and I say that as confirmed Man City fan. Of course the title will return back to Manchester next year under Pep. But for this year we can loan it out to those Midland Foxes. And maybe this year the mighty Blues can win the Champions League to add another inviting twist to an exhilarating season.

Anorak said:

Leicester. Brawn had a secret weapon (a cunning interpretation of the rules) which has happened in other years. Brabham in '78 tried it with their floor fan (which was banned, but otherwise they'd have walked it).

Leicester have no secret weapon. It's a glorious mystery how they've got to where they are; but it ain't no fluke run, that's for sure. Ferguson at Aberdeen doesn't come within a country mile of this.

I'd say John Daly's 1991 US PGA win was a bigger sporting shock though. What was he? Like ninth reserve, and drove to the course on the Thursday without a practice round? Nobody had ever heard of him. Amazing stuff.

I think they both go into the Brawn category of "nearly didn't make it to the starting line". Still great stories, though.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,519
    rcs1000 said:

hunchman said:
    It's also completely inaccurate. If you hang out on hacktivist forums, the perpetrators are pretty well known. (That are anonymous, obviously, but have long histories.)

Edit to add: they got in because the site was running an old version of WordPress :-)
    Surely what's indicative in this case isn't the hacker/whistleblower but the intermediary. The data was handed not to Wikileaks but to a US (apparently Soros) funded journalist organisation that has admitted to releasing them selectively rather than doing a data dump. As a result the US and its political and financial elite have come out of it very well.
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    rcs1000 said:

Roger said:

Sean_F said:

Indigo said:

Say what you like about Matthew Parris, but he's the voice of a certain strand of moderate Toryism. The man has a following. His philippic against Johnson might prove deadly. I'm convinced to this day that it was a withering article that Parris wrote in 2003 that did for IDS.

I hope not, unless the voice of moderate toryism is supercilious sneering at the people of Clacton, and suggesting that they party should abandon the third of the electorate that wasn't receptive to right-on modern nostrums and move forward into the new progressive future. Yuck.
    I think Parris had the level of the people of Clacton - they did elect Carswell after all. (And I suspect these days Nigel feels the same.)
    I think Parris thinks that the inhabitants of Clacton are the most ghastly oiks who had to pay for their own furniture, and who shop at Marks & Spencer.
    Actually from memory his argument was more nuanced than that. He was saying that as we become more tolerant as a society and more people have a university education residents like those in Clacton will get left behind. So the Tories should not pander to their prejudices but leave them to Ukip and wait for evolution to do its job
    That doesn't sound very nuanced to me.

:):)
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,927
    Roger said:

Sean_F said:

Indigo said:

Say what you like about Matthew Parris, but he's the voice of a certain strand of moderate Toryism. The man has a following. His philippic against Johnson might prove deadly. I'm convinced to this day that it was a withering article that Parris wrote in 2003 that did for IDS.

I hope not, unless the voice of moderate toryism is supercilious sneering at the people of Clacton, and suggesting that they party should abandon the third of the electorate that wasn't receptive to right-on modern nostrums and move forward into the new progressive future. Yuck.
    I think Parris had the level of the people of Clacton - they did elect Carswell after all. (And I suspect these days Nigel feels the same.)
    I think Parris thinks that the inhabitants of Clacton are the most ghastly oiks who had to pay for their own furniture, and who shop at Marks & Spencer.
    Actually from memory his argument was more nuanced than that. He was saying that as we become more tolerant as a society and more people have a university education residents like those in Clacton will get left behind. So the Tories should not pander to their prejudices but leave them to Ukip and wait for evolution to do its job
    What makes him think he represents enlightenment?
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,894
    What's the angle here? What perversion have this couple been accused of?
  • Options

Ridiculous to say that Matthew Parris is any kind of careerist or snob. He was pouring vitriol over Blair when the rest of the right-wing media were swallowing his vacuous soundbites and grovelling to Campbell. Parris was a voice in the wilderness back then, flying the flag for Toryism when everyone else couldn't wait to abandon it. Had he wanted to ingratiate himself with the establishment or advance himself he would have joined that motley chorus.

Well said.

I don't always agree with what he says, but he usually says it with elegance & aplomb.

Lot of 'man' playing in the criticism of him......
    Someone who expresses unpleasant opinions gets called out over it.
  • Options
    hunchmanhunchman Posts: 2,591
    That's such old news by now - has anywhere apart from the UK got such appalling injunction / libel laws?
  • Options
    Roger said:

Composing and singing dreadful songs.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,060

rcs1000 said:

hunchman said:
    It's also completely inaccurate. If you hang out on hacktivist forums, the perpetrators are pretty well known. (That are anonymous, obviously, but have long histories.)

Edit to add: they got in because the site was running an old version of WordPress :-)
    Surely what's indicative in this case isn't the hacker/whistleblower but the intermediary. The data was handed not to Wikileaks but to a US (apparently Soros) funded journalist organisation that has admitted to releasing them selectively rather than doing a data dump. As a result the US and its political and financial elite have come out of it very well.
    Sure: i was simply pointing out his was not a hack ordered by a government.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    edited April 2016
    I was a regular at Main Road for many years- and yes, the Etihad has lost some of the atmosphere. But City invariably played poorly at Main Road- the players were too scared in front of the febrile crowd and tended to boot the ball upwards at every opportunity.

I think the greatest match I ever saw first hand was against Gillingham at Wembley in 1999. For sheer elation that moment was sublime in a way I don't think could ever be repeated in any way, and easily beating the Portillo moment in 1997. We crawled into the play offs in Division Two, and then were thoroughly outplayed by Gillingham for 91 mins, but we got one back although it still looked another long season awaited us in Division Two. And then......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXbOPAuIo74

Roger said:

tyson said:

Come on Roger. I'm a City blue, thru fik and fin- but the Leicester story is fantastic. This afternoon will be the first time I want Utd to win for a very, very long time. I want Leicester to steamroller the league- not win by a a nose.

Next year things normal service will return- but this year, the Leicester story is just so wonderfully romantic.

Roger said:

Leicester have fluked their customary goal

I made my first trip to the Etihad Stadium yesterday. Very little atmosphere in the ground which is a pity because the owners have conspicuously thrown loads of money at the place
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Sean_F said:

Roger said:

Doesn't narrow the field too much in modern music .... :smile:
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966

rcs1000 said:

hunchman said:

Also because the US political and financial elite can get exactly the same sort of anonymous shell company with no questions asked in Delaware, without the uncertainty of trading in places like Panama.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    Sean_F said:

Roger said:

Being in hock to big oil...virgin olive variety that is?
  • Options
    JackW said:

Sean_F said:

Roger said:

Now you really are showing your age! :D
  • Options
    I don't want to be ageist, but you sound like someone who is reaching their hundred and twenty first birthday.....
    JackW said:

Sean_F said:

Roger said:

• Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Anyone who applies for an injunction should be made to read up about the Streisand effect first.

A story that nobody would have cared about a day later is now being actively hunted down, by people who will now remember it far more.

• Options
    Indigo said:

rcs1000 said:

hunchman said:

Also because the US political and financial elite can get exactly the same sort of anonymous shell company with no questions asked in Delaware, without the uncertainty of trading in places like Panama.
    Its a factor in the strengthening US Dollar long term....and the dreadful FATCA makes it pretty much impossible now for US citizens to have a bank account offshore.
  • Options

Anyone who applies for an injunction should be made to read up about the Streisand effect first.

A story that nobody would have cared about a day later is now being actively hunted down, by people who will now remember it far more.

Before Streisand filed her lawsuit, "Image 3850" had been downloaded from Adelman's website only six times; two of those downloads were by Streisand's attorneys.[8] As a result of the case, public knowledge of the picture increased substantially; more than 420,000 people visited the site over the following month.[9]

That went well....
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,322
    edited April 2016
    Roger said:

Sean_F said:

Indigo said:

Quite right Roger. Parris likes living amongst rich, beautiful, intelligent and successful people. Sorry, but you ain't going to find much of that in Clacton. No surprise that the place isn't his cup of tea. Does anyone on PB actually live there, or are they planning to move there or anywhere similar? If not then it's safe to assume - whether we admit it or not - that we share many of Parris's predilections.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,253
    edited April 2016
    Sean_F said:

Roger said:

I don't think *only for readers in Scotland* can take much of the blame/credit for that.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,701

Sean_F said:

Roger said:

I don't think *only for readers in Scotland* can take much of the blame/credit for that.
    Guardian legal error in first sentence of article .. It is not a super injunction.

Why do these faux newspapers even bother?

• Options

Roger said:

Sean_F said:

Indigo said:

Quite right Roger. Parris likes living amongst rich, beautiful, intelligent and successful people. Sorry, but you ain't going to find much of that in Clacton. No surprise that the place isn't his cup of tea. Does anyone on PB actually live there, or are they planning to move there or anywhere similar? If not then it's safe to assume - whether we admit it or not - that we share many of Parris's predilections.
    Clacton's a pretty average, unexceptional, bit of Middle England. If the Tories think their future depends on sneering at people who live in such places - well, they won't have a future.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,060
    Sean_F said:

Roger said:

Sean_F said:

Indigo said:

Clacton's a pretty average, unexceptional, bit of Middle England. If the Tories think their future depends on sneering at people who live in such places - well, they won't have a future.
    It's very far from average! It has a ukip MP
  • Options
    hunchman said:

That's such old news by now - has anywhere apart from the UK got such appalling injunction / libel laws?
    Russia? Zimbabwe?
  • Options
    Clacton is not average- it is a horrible, depressingly white and racist hell hole that probably represents Jeremy Kyles highest viewing figures.

Abingdon or Clitheroe or Southport are probably average. And living in one of those would be worse than the death from a thousand cuts inflicted slowly and excruciatingly.
    rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Roger said:

Sean_F said:

Indigo said:

• Options
    tyson said:

Clacton is not average- it is a horrible, depressingly white and racist hell hole that probably represents Jeremy Kyles highest viewing figures.

Abingdon or Clitheroe or Southport are probably average. And living in one of those would be worse than the death from a thousand cuts inflicted slowly and excruciatingly.

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Roger said:

Sean_F said:

Indigo said:

"Depressingly white and racist hell hole." If only you knew what a bell end that makes you sound like.
  • Options
    Wonder why Sturgeon has only released last years tax return. Not suggesting anything dodgy, just wondering.
  • Options
    tyson said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Roger said:

Sean_F said:

Indigo said:

You are Banksy and I claim my £5.
  • Options
    Where does Parris live in Derbyshire?

I hope it is Foolow, as when I last heard there was a Vacancy for Deputy Duck Warden.

The Duck Warden was the widow of Lord Morris of Castle Morris, who gave one of my favourite quotes to explain his presence: "I have bought a small Manor House in Derbyshire to decline and die in."
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    tyson said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Roger said:

Sean_F said:

Indigo said:

" depressingly white and racist "
    Lol.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Roger said:

Sean_F said:

Indigo said:

I always used to enjoy the pier there especially the greyhound racing slot machines, though I preferred Walton Pier because of the ghost train.
  • Options
    Sorry I meant to say that Clacton is inclusive, open minded, culturally elevated, multicultural, liberally minded, artistic, gay friendly, bohemian, uplifting and welcoming. A slip of my tongue. I don't know what could have prompted that.

I could imagine your good self DiFascio Canio fitting in very well there.

tyson said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Roger said:

Sean_F said:

Indigo said:

Lol.
  • Options
    tyson said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Roger said:

Sean_F said:

Indigo said:

Best to keep silent and let people think you're a fool, than speak up and prove it.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    tyson said:

I don't want to be ageist, but you sound like someone who is reaching their hundred and twenty first birthday.....

JackW said:

Sean_F said:

Roger said:

That's not fair.

JackW has admitted to being 104 years old.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    edited April 2016
    tyson said:

Sorry I meant to say that Clacton is inclusive, open minded, culturally elevated, multicultural, liberally minded, artistic, gay friendly, bohemian, uplifting and welcoming. A slip of my tongue. I don't know what could have prompted that.

tyson said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Roger said:

Sean_F said:

Indigo said:

Lol.
    You must find Tuscany hideously white. You should find a more vibrant place to live, you'd be happier.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    tyson said:

Probably because you, Wodger and Emily Thornberry being good champagne socialists enjoy sneering at working class people, who you seem to feel give "real" socialists a bad name.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    breaking: at least 260 migrants "injured" in clashes at the Greek-Macedonian border.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Ex-England batsman Kevin Pietersen has said he could return to international cricket with his native South Africa.

The 35-year-old has not played an international match since he was sacked by England in 2014. He has since become a T20 specialist but would be eligible to play for South Africa in all forms of the game in 2018.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/36010531
  • Options

Wonder why Sturgeon has only released last years tax return. Not suggesting anything dodgy, just wondering.

I complete my tax return about nine months after the financial year end, which is just in time for the deadline.

Sturgeon probably has better things to do with her priority time.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    edited April 2016

Clacton is a good deal more liberal than large parts of Tower Hamlets, Newham, Leicester, Bradford, Rochdale, and many other places:

http://metro.co.uk/2016/04/10/half-of-british-muslims-think-homosexuality-should-be-illegal-5807066/
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    Sean_F said:

Roger said:

Now that's just ´a little bit funny...'.
  • Options

I complete my tax return about nine months after the financial year end, which is just in time for the deadline.

Sturgeon probably has better things to do with her priority time.
    My point was Cameron was pressured to released as far back as possible. I wondered if anybody knew (or if she stated) why Sturgeon only decided to do the most recent one.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    felix said:

Sean_F said:

Roger said:

I wonder what the the big picture is here all because of an alleged wonderful crazy night or two.
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

Clacton is a good deal more liberal than large parts of Tower Hamlets, Newham, Leicester, Bradford, Rochdale, and many other places:

http://metro.co.uk/2016/04/10/half-of-british-muslims-think-homosexuality-should-be-illegal-5807066/

But they vote Labour so they don't count.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

breaking: at least 260 migrants "injured" in clashes at the Greek-Macedonian border.

I don't think many people can justify that they are being so persecuted in Greece that they have to flee to Macedonia to claim asylum.
  • Options
    Listen Mr Fear- Roger accused me of turning Tory as I grow older last night. I have to prove that I haven't lost any of my firebrand leftiness over all the years of posting here, and it is possible to grow old disgracefully and lefty....
    Sean_F said:

tyson said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Roger said:

Sean_F said:

Indigo said:

Best to keep silent and let people think you're a fool, than speak up and prove it.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,061
    tyson said:

Of all the coastal counties in England, Scotland and Wales, I found Essex the most depressing to walk around. Loads of inlets to navigate (e.g. the Blackwater) with little to see for your endeavours. Mileage for mileage's sake, not particular enjoyment. Some pretty villages, but also some hideously depressed seaside towns. And rows of multicoloured beach huts reaching up cliffs.

Although it was fun to come across a 'hidden' explosives factory on the marshes ...

The high point was St Peter's Chapel at Bradwell, a church dating back to Roman times. Aside from that, meh.

Having said that, the Essex Way, which cuts through the middle of the county, is a fairly enjoyable trail through some prosperous villages.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Fenster said:

tyson said:

Anorak said:

Japan beating South Africa at the Rugby world cup is the top of the mountain for shock surprise upsets.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    Now over 200,000 signatures on the petition.

I'm more convinced than ever that Leave might actually do this.
  • Options
    It's the colour of the sea at Essex. It is grey, like Blackpool.Even when it's sunny, the sea still manages to look a grey, bleak, mass.

tyson said:

Of all the coastal counties in England, Scotland and Wales, I found Essex the most depressing to walk around. Loads of inlets to navigate (e.g. the Blackwater) with little to see for your endeavours. Mileage for mileage's sake, not particular enjoyment. Some pretty villages, but also some hideously depressed seaside towns. And rows of multicoloured beach huts reaching up cliffs.

Although it was fun to come across a 'hidden' explosives factory on the marshes ...

The high point was St Peter's Chapel at Bradwell, a church dating back to Roman times. Aside from that, meh.

Having said that, the Essex Way, which cuts through the middle of the county, is a fairly enjoyable trail through some prosperous villages.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,917
    Sean_F said:

Roger said:

Sean_F said:

Indigo said:

I agree that nobody needs to sneer at them but equally nobody needs to pander to their prejudices either.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited April 2016
    Interesting programme about Essex by Jonathan Meades from a couple of years ago:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzNSOhGcQts
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

tyson said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Roger said:

Sean_F said:

Indigo said:

The Bansy painting in Clacton that was destroyed by the council is at

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-29918326

• Options
    A one off is a one off. And these things can happen in sport occasionally. Maybe if Japan had won the world cup- that could equal what Leicester are doing. But they didn't come close.

Granted John Daly and Goran's victories were great. IF Bernhard Langer wins tonight that would be remarkable. But nothing come close to Leicester's story. You have to consider just how football is run, and the odds against the minnows.
    Alistair said:

Fenster said:

tyson said:

Anorak said:

Japan beating South Africa at the Rugby world cup is the top of the mountain for shock surprise upsets.
  • Options
    frpenkridgefrpenkridge Posts: 670
    I can remember when socialists used to champion the working classes of this country.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited April 2016
    Your post is a good example of why Labour aren't going to be back in power for a very long time. Until the party stops sneering at the very people it was set up for in the first place, they don't have a chance of winning an election.
    tyson said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Roger said:

Sean_F said:

Indigo said:

• Options
    Plenty of spreading around the Twitter sphere of the scandal mentioned by @FrancisUrquhart ..........
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,519
    OllyT said:

Sean_F said:

Roger said:

Sean_F said:

Indigo said:

I agree that nobody needs to sneer at them but equally nobody needs to pander to their prejudices either.
    But they should pander to yours one assumes.
  • Options
    felix said:

Sean_F said:

Roger said:

I guess the celebrity couple will find that sorry is the hardest word to say.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    OllyT said:

Sean_F said:

Roger said:

Sean_F said:

Indigo said:

Where as pandering to the preferences of say, a anti-British terrorist-apologising magic money tree marxist is completely acceptable, and in fact signed up another 600,000 members, getting the other 30 million to support it might be a bit more tricky of course.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,894
    felix said:

Sean_F said:

Roger said:

Is there a market for the sex lives of septuagenarians?
  • Options
    tyson said:

It's the colour of the sea at Essex. It is grey, like Blackpool.Even when it's sunny, the sea still manages to look a grey, bleak, mass.

tyson said:

It might also be the fact that I was doing it in mid-November. Poor weather, poor light, and most touristy places were shut up for the season. ... ;)

One of the worst months to walk in IME.
  • Options
    James Kirkup: "Cameron will never say it, but his referendum hopes depend on Labour activists turning out younger pro-EU voters."

Someone on here has been making this point I think.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

felix said:

Sean_F said:

Roger said:

I guess the celebrity couple will find that sorry is the hardest word to say.
    Are these your song/s or someone else's?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Your post is a good example of why Labour aren't going to be back in power for a very long time. Until the party stops sneering at the very people it was set up for in the first place, they don't have a chance of winning an election.

tyson said:

To re-quote from the other day:
    watford30 said:

'Let them eat Cannoli', shrieks Tyson Antoinette, sitting in a chi-chi Florentine piazza and lingering over a fresh Ristretto. 'How the little people must be suffering', she laments whilst noting this months 4 figure losses on Sterling to Euro currency transactions.

• Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,322

tlg86 said:

tyson said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Roger said:

Sean_F said:

The Bansy painting in Clacton that was destroyed by the council is at

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-29918326

A shocking example of cultural vandalism. Clacton Council is comparable to ISIS in Palmyra in its wanton destruction of art for political ends.
  • Options
    I have to commend Watford30- that was one of the better put downs I have been subjected to on pbCOM. It made me look at him in a different light.
    Indigo said:

AndyJS said:

tyson said:

To re-quote from the other day:
    watford30 said:

'Let them eat Cannoli', shrieks Tyson Antoinette, sitting in a chi-chi Florentine piazza and lingering over a fresh Ristretto. 'How the little people must be suffering', she laments whilst noting this months 4 figure losses on Sterling to Euro currency transactions.

• Options
    Roger said:

felix said:

Sean_F said:

Roger said:

Is there a market for the sex lives of septuagenarians?
    In Italy based on Berlusconi.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,318

James Kirkup: "Cameron will never say it, but his referendum hopes depend on Labour activists turning out younger pro-EU voters."

Yes, but how? That Booky-Wooky bloke again?
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    Anorak said:

COME ON LEICESTER 2-0

Surely every football supporter (and a large proportion of the indifferent) in the country, apart from Spurs, Arsenal and City fans are willing the Foxes to take the title. Just f*cking marvellous.

I don't agree with that. Most sensible Arsenal and City fans know that there's no way Arsenal or City are winning the title. Consequently, they are all supporting Leicester as well. It may only be Spurs fans who are rooting against Leicester.

I'm an Arsenal fan and certainly I'm rooting for Leicester. They well and truly deserve it.

On Cameron: I think this saga surrounding his taxes blow over soon. There is nothing really in his published tax returns that is enough to drag this story out further. Twitter trends are totally irrelevant: a vast majority of those on twitter think Corbyn's been a brilliant leader of the opposition FGS. One thing I'm amazed at how badly the government have handled this story. They really are the reason this story has been dragged out for a week. They could have easily just been straight from the start and the story would have been over in 48 hours. But they really set the cat amongst the pigeons with that nonsense 'it's private matter' comment.

I wonder now if the whole cabinet will be pressured to publish their texts returns. I see Sturgeon has published hers, and Corbyn has suggested all MPs and journos publish their tax returns. I'd go one step further: I'd love for the owners of newspapers and all media in general to publish their tax returns. Now THAT would be something....
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,991

Anorak said:

COME ON LEICESTER 2-0

Surely every football supporter (and a large proportion of the indifferent) in the country, apart from Spurs, Arsenal and City fans are willing the Foxes to take the title. Just f*cking marvellous.

Corbyn has suggested all MPs and journos publish their tax returns.
    Something which seems unlikely to be popular with journos or many of his own MPs (happy to see Cameron squirm, to be sure, but not wishing to follow suit unless necessary), but if his suggestion gains traction it will certainly be dramatic. It'd be funny to see Cameron and Corbyn stand up in the Commons and say 'We've both got nothing to hide and have/will publish our info, and we're sure all our MPs would be happy to do the same'.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,004
    Hong Kong fellow starts new party with the aim of self-determination for Hong Kong:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-36010348

One imagines that Beijing will not necessarily be helpful.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,047

Anorak said:

COME ON LEICESTER 2-0

I don't agree with that. Most sensible Arsenal and City fans know that there's no way Arsenal or City are winning the title. Consequently, they are all supporting Leicester as well. It may only be Spurs fans who are rooting against Leicester.

I'm an Arsenal fan and certainly I'm rooting for Leicester. They well and truly deserve it.

On Cameron: I think this saga surrounding his taxes blow over soon. There is nothing really in his published tax returns that is enough to drag this story out further. Twitter trends are totally irrelevant: a vast majority of those on twitter think Corbyn's been a brilliant leader of the opposition FGS. One thing I'm amazed at how badly the government have handled this story. They really are the reason this story has been dragged out for a week. They could have easily just been straight from the start and the story would have been over in 48 hours. But they really set the cat amongst the pigeons with that nonsense 'it's private matter' comment.

I wonder now if the whole cabinet will be pressured to publish their texts returns. I see Sturgeon has published hers, and Corbyn has suggested all MPs and journos publish their tax returns. I'd go one step further: I'd love for the owners of newspapers and all media in general to publish their tax returns. Now THAT would be something....
    I did't want Sunderland to lose!
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,013
    Man Utd doing their best Aston Villa impersonation.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956

Anorak said:

COME ON LEICESTER 2-0

Would knowing other people's business make you feel safer, happier, or just plain pleased that the better off are further discrimated against?
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    @OldKingCole I forgot about Sunderland fans!
    And wow, Manchester United. Well they haven't won at WHL for four years now for a reason. And I thought it was a bad, bad weekend to be an Arsenal fan....

@kle4 I agree, but right now journalists (especially those on the right) are far more concerned with attacking Cameron (and Osborne) than they are Corbyn. Nonetheless I do think Cameron releasing his returns does change things for politicians, at least.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:
    Nah, you're wrong. The Portsmouth / Southampton area would beat it for one. Mainly because you don't have to suffer Runcorn when negotiating it. ;)

You might be interested in something I discovered today - my grandma worked as a plotter and a runner during WW2 in what I think is now the Western Approaches museum. I'd always known she was a plotter, but assumed she was in Southampton.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Anorak said:

COME ON LEICESTER 2-0

Would knowing other people's business make you feel safer, happier, or just plain pleased that the better off are further discrimated against?
    I don't really see wealthy newspaper owners as poor victims of discrimination, somehow.
  • Options

Labour abandon their local, London, Welsh Assembly and scot parliament campaigns just to win the referendum and keep Cameron in place.

Anyone see a problem with that?
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Anorak said:

COME ON LEICESTER 2-0

I don't really see wealthy newspaper owners as poor victims of discrimination, somehow.
    Requiring some people to do anything so personal as release a tax return because of an arbitrary reason (wealth, job, race, religion) is by its very definition discrimination, no?

You're perfectly entitled to not like 'wealthy newspaper owners' (maybe you're ok with poor newspaper owners?), but not liking someone isn't a reason to discriminate.

• Options
    edited April 2016
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Anorak said:

COME ON LEICESTER 2-0

Requiring some people to do anything so personal as release a tax return because of an arbitrary reason (wealth, job, race, religion) is by its very definition discrimination, no?

You're perfectly entitled to not like 'wealthy newspaper owners' (maybe you're ok with poor newspaper owners?), but not liking someone isn't a reason to discriminate.

Poor newspaper owners are unlikely to earn that much money to have tax returns for a start. They are also unlikely to be in a position to shape public opinion. They are especially unlikely to be a position where they are hypocritical: attacking politicians for their tax returns while most likely having suspect tax arrangements themselves.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    hunchman said:

Plenty of spreading around the Twitter sphere of the scandal mentioned by @FrancisUrquhart ..........

True, I guessed correctly in the game of charades.
    But I would have seen it sooner if only I was a major fan of Monty Python and become more of a cynic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvVPdyYeaQU
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    I don't think Cameron is under any pressure.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976

Labour abandon their local, London, Welsh Assembly and scot parliament campaigns just to win the referendum and keep Cameron in place.

I don’t see the necessity to abandon anything – if Jeremy Corbyn advocates voting for remain, then the younger age bracket which predominantly support Labour may well follow suit and swing the result.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Anorak said:

COME ON LEICESTER 2-0

Poor newspaper owners are unlikely to earn that much money to have tax returns for a start. They are also unlikely to be in a position to shape public opinion. They are especially unlikely to be a position where they are hypocritical: attacking politicians for their tax returns while most likely having suspect tax arrangements themselves.
    Newspaper owners are likely to be directors of companies or fulfil other similar criteria - tax returns would be necessary in almost all cases.

Since when is being able to shape public opinion or being hypocritical a crime?

Amazing how illiberal people start getting when they talk about politicians, the media and the wealthy.

• Options

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Anorak said:

COME ON LEICESTER 2-0

How much money do you think you need to earn to fill a tax return ?
  • Options

I don’t see the necessity to abandon anything – if Jeremy Corbyn advocates voting for remain, then the younger age bracket which predominantly support Labour may well follow suit and swing the result.
    I think the whole thing is simply to damage Cameron so much that Labour gain votes, Corbyn has nothing to gain from saving Cameron's skin.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    edited April 2016
    Huzzah
    Huzzah
    Huzzah

5 mins of iplayer to be listened to many times this coming week!!!

First time since 2001...
  • Options
    surbiton said:

I don't think Cameron is under any pressure.

From the Newspaper Scandal perhaps not, as long as he didn't know.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

hunchman said:

True, I guessed correctly in the game of charades.
    But I would have seen it sooner if only I was a major fan of Monty Python and become more of a cynic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvVPdyYeaQU
    Quite right, he's really doing his nut on twitter today!
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Mortimer said:

Newspaper owners are likely to be directors of companies or fulfil other similar criteria - tax returns would be necessary in almost all cases.

Amazing how illiberal people start getting when they talk about politicians, the media and the wealthy.

Well when I talked to my mum about this (publishing tax returns) she didn't tell me that.
    On your second point: well where did I say it was a crime?

@surbiton I asked my mum about tax returns and she implied it was something that only wealthy people did.

And doing a quick goggle on the matter my dad has been self-employed in the past and he has never talked about filing tax returns....
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078

Labour is hardly likely to co-operate with Cameron whilst he is holding the Sword of Damocles over the party's very existence in the form of the Trade Union Bill.Cameron may not show it but he is desperate for the support of Labour voters in the EUref.He would be wise to kill this particular bill and give them a reason for doing so.
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536

Cameron = Ramsay McDonald
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

tyson said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Roger said:

Sean_F said:

Indigo said:

hope not, unless the voice of moderate toryism is supercilious sneering at the people of Clacton, and suggesting that they party should abandon the third of the electorate that wasn't receptive to right-on modern nostrums and move forward into the new progressive future. Yuck.
    Was Labour set up for racist people ?
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Well when I talked to my mum about this (publishing tax returns) she didn't tell me that.
    On your second point: well where did I say it was a crime?

@surbiton I asked my mum about tax returns and she implied it was something that only wealthy people did.

And doing a quick goggle on the matter my dad has been self-employed in the past and he has never talked about filing tax returns....
    If you're self employed, you file tax returns. How else do you think you pay tax? The tax fairy?
  • Options
    surbiton said:

AndyJS said:

tyson said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Roger said:

Sean_F said:

Indigo said:

hope not, unless the voice of moderate toryism is supercilious sneering at the people of Clacton, and suggesting that they party should abandon the third of the electorate that wasn't receptive to right-on modern nostrums and move forward into the new progressive future. Yuck.
    Actually from memory his argument was more nuanced than that. ...
    Was Labour set up for racist people ?
    Keir Hardie did not like immigrants.
This discussion has been closed.