Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Local By-Election Preview : April 7th 2016

2»

Comments

• Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536

Investing £15k in some shares, by most middle class standards is within the realm of understanding, it is not exactly moat cleaning or duck house type stuff.

Spin team want shooting, whatever the full extent of the story is.

I don't think you can blame the spin team on this. Because it's a personal matter, only Cameron himself could comment on it. The responsibility for screwing up the presentation has to be his.

Having said that, I agree with Alastair that, in itself, the story is small beer. That in a way makes the screw-up a more egregious error.
    Fingers crossed eh Richard? You know without Cameron you have no chance of winning the referendum.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @Chris_A

'Cameron can at least take comfort in that he's not in as big a mess as Hunt http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/apr/07/jeremy-hunt-in-trouble-ids-moment'

What a load of crap, can't remember a year when the NHS wasn't in crisis.

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986
    Seeing as it looks like being a soft/heavy one - First Grand National selection:

Aachen @ 100-1
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100

tyson said:

Dr Fox- I'm not in London. And even if I did, there is no way in a million years I would say anything about anything to anyone.

tyson said:

No not Edwina- for 1992- my close friend was brought into a meeting with all sorts of "special" government advisers to discuss a very tricky allegation that sort of came out afterwards in a very small way. Even now that story is explosive.

2016- the journalists know what the story is- you just need to be close to one of them, or perhaps go to the Shooting Star tomorrow night and someone will tell you....

Speedy said:

tyson said:

I know of a current story that dares not speak its name- it is what super injunctions are made for.

But I knew second hand of a story second hand in 1992 that would have totally blown apart that election. It only came out in sort of dribs and drabs afterwards- but if it had come out totally, it would have created such a stir, I mean such a stir that it probably would have impacted on that election. Even now it is still pretty explosive in its full version, and that is after 25 years.

Anyway, enough of my teasing- cause that is all I'm going to give.

rcs1000 said:

I won't be at The Shooting Star, but my father knows the story that dare not speak its name, and will no doubt enlighten all.

Was it the Edwina Curry affair with Major ?
    Or the BCCI scandal ?
    Sorry to miss it. No way can I get down there in time. Cheers to those who are going.
    While gossip is always interesting, I really rather fancied a pint. Fortunately one of our secretaries leaving so there is that option. Less conversation on the Brexit referendum that is boring the nation at least.

Perhaps next time...
    Here, a snippet from the archives:

http://articles.latimes.com/1991-07-26/local/me-17_1_bcci-banking-scandal

"Now a question is arising as to what precisely did British Prime Minister John Major know of BCCI when he was chancellor of the exchequer two years ago. He admits to having had discussions about BCCI but disclaims any knowledge of fraud."

http://www.csmonitor.com/1991/0724/24041.html

" THE political reputation of the British prime minister and the professional future of the governor of the Bank of England have been placed on the line amid the growing furor created by the collapse of the Bank of Credit and Commerce International (BCCI)."

"At the core of the government's embarrassment is the fact, officially confirmed last week, that a letter from BCCI's internal auditor, Vivian Ambrose, warning of widespread corruption at BCCI, was sent to the Treasury in June 1990 but never acted upon."
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    runnymede said:

Fingers crossed eh Richard? You know without Cameron you have no chance of winning the referendum.

As you know, I'm not on either side of the referendum, so by definition I can neither win nor lose it.

• Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    The story really makes me warm to DC to be honest. He really wants to be cleaner than clean- and that has led to his poor communication.

I honestly think that DC is a thoroughly sound human being considering his background.

Investing £15k in some shares, by most middle class standards is within the realm of understanding, it is not exactly moat cleaning or duck house type stuff.

I don't think you can blame the spin team on this. Because it's a personal matter, only Cameron himself could comment on it. The responsibility for screwing up the presentation has to be his.

Having said that, I agree with Alastair that, in itself, the story is small beer. That in a way makes the screw-up a more egregious error.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,991
    Personally I'm not much impressed with a lot of Leave or Remain supporters. Plenty on the Remain side are more dismissive and belittling, but plenty on the Leave side are whiny babies, making the classic error of getting equally upset over an actually scandalous thing or a politician on the opposite to them on an issue acting like he opposes them, and thus undercutting the effectiveness of the highlighting the former.

I'll be voting leave, but it hasn't had much to do with the campaign or its tactics that for sure, for all Remain have failed to make a compelling case to counter them.

Good night
  • Options
    Will you sleep on it?
    kle4 said:

Personally I'm not much impressed with a lot of Leave or Remain supporters. Plenty on the Remain side are more dismissive and belittling, but plenty on the Leave side are whiny babies, making the classic error of getting equally upset over an actually scandalous thing or a politician on the opposite to them on an issue acting like he opposes them, and thus undercutting the effectiveness of the highlighting the former.

I'll be voting leave, but it hasn't had much to do with the campaign or its tactics that for sure, for all Remain have failed to make a compelling case to counter them.

Good night

• Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    tyson said:

The story really makes me warm to DC to be honest. He really wants to be cleaner than clean- and that has led to his poor communication.

I honestly think that DC is a thoroughly sound human being considering his background.

I don't doubt his probity, but equally I think that the model answer which FrancisUrquhart posted at 8.19 on the previous thread is how Cameron should have handled it.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    edited April 2016
    tyson said:

Yeah right,we believe you.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    tyson said:

No Speedy Re; 1992 it's not the BCCI thing either. I hate to be a prick tease because my normal instinct is to be a big blabbermouth- suffice to say it is something sexual and something really quite weird, and cannot be guessed, even on what has come to light afterwards . And that is as far as I can possibly go.

2016- I'll prick tease a bit on that one- because if I said anything else....... And that is that I'm afraid. Go to the Shooting Star and I'm sure you'll find someone who knows- but it won't be me.

Speedy said:

tyson said:

No not Edwina- for 1992- my close friend was brought into a meeting with all sorts of "special" government advisers to discuss a very tricky allegation that sort of came out afterwards in a very small way. Even now that story is explosive.

2016- the journalists know what the story is- you just need to be close to one of them, or perhaps go to the Shooting Star tomorrow night and someone will tell you....

Speedy said:

tyson said:

I know of a current story that dares not speak its name- it is what super injunctions are made for.

But I knew second hand of a story second hand in 1992 that would have totally blown apart that election. It only came out in sort of dribs and drabs afterwards- but if it had come out totally, it would have created such a stir, I mean such a stir that it probably would have impacted on that election. Even now it is still pretty explosive in its full version, and that is after 25 years.

rcs1000 said:

I won't be at The Shooting Star, but my father knows the story that dare not speak its name, and will no doubt enlighten all.

Or the BCCI scandal ?
    So it's the BCCI thing.
    I always wondered how a bank founded by a pakistani in the early 70's quickly became one of the largest in the world, only to close shop once the Cold War ended.
    When I think of Sex Scandal and 1992 I think of David Mellor, I'm I correct ?
  • Options
    SaltireSaltire Posts: 525
    On the topic of this thread CON have gained the Almond and Earn from independent. Somewhat surprising since the SNP were the leading party in the 3 member ward in 2011 but the by-election was caused by the death of an independent who had previously been a member of the Tory council group.
  • Options
    Chris_AChris_A Posts: 1,237
    john_zims said:

@Chris_A

'Cameron can at least take comfort in that he's not in as big a mess as Hunt http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/apr/07/jeremy-hunt-in-trouble-ids-moment'

So it's crap that the GMC is issuing thousands of certificates to work abroad to junior doctors is it? Or that the DH is yet again raiding developing countries' doctors to keep general practice above water, or that the number of trainees going on to higher roles is down?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-3528037/NHS-recruit-400-doctors-India-desperate-bid-plug-staffing-crisis.html
  • Options
    I've said to Nick P, next time I'm in London, I'll give him a shout. If you're around, be great to catch up...

tyson said:

Dr Fox- I'm not in London. And even if I did, there is no way in a million years I would say anything about anything to anyone.

tyson said:

Speedy said:

tyson said:

rcs1000 said:

Or the BCCI scandal ?
    Sorry to miss it. No way can I get down there in time. Cheers to those who are going.
    While gossip is always interesting, I really rather fancied a pint. Fortunately one of our secretaries leaving so there is that option. Less conversation on the Brexit referendum that is boring the nation at least.

Perhaps next time...
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,940
    Buenos noches from Lima. A city of over 10 million people which is in the midst of election fever - I think. The whole place is plastered with hoardings, posters, and graffiti for the presidential and congressional elections on Sunday. Leading the field is Keiko Fujimori who is the daughter of Alberto Fujimori, a former president currently in prison for corruption. If she wins she is expected to pardon him. But they have a run-off system and with multiple candidates any result is possible. Adios.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Chris_A said:

john_zims said:

@Chris_A

So it's crap that the GMC is issuing thousands of certificates to work abroad to junior doctors is it? Or that the DH is yet again raiding developing countries' doctors to keep general practice above water, or that the number of trainees going on to higher roles is down?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-3528037/NHS-recruit-400-doctors-India-desperate-bid-plug-staffing-crisis.html
    Yes it's a load of crap. When a union has been campaigning to get people to apply for the certificates even if they have no intention of moving just to make the so called problem look worse then that figure becomes utterly meaningless.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,016
    Saltire said:

On the topic of this thread CON have gained the Almond and Earn from independent. Somewhat surprising since the SNP were the leading party in the 3 member ward in 2011 but the by-election was caused by the death of an independent who had previously been a member of the Tory council group.

But the leading party doesn't matter in one-seat STV elections where unionists are waiting in the wings to transfer to each other.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Spain and Ireland both struggling to form governments at present.
  • Options
    Chris_AChris_A Posts: 1,237

Chris_A said:

john_zims said:

@Chris_A

Yes it's a load of crap. When a union has been campaigning to get people to apply for the certificates even if they have no intention of moving just to make the so called problem look worse then that figure becomes utterly meaningless.
    And the NHS Employers trawling the Indian sub-continent for doctors - that's crap too I take it? A lot of NHS bosses reckon the DoH is in complete denial of the size of the crisis they're creating.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,994
    OT.

Saw ELO at Nottingham tonight. Absolutely brilliant. If you have any liking for their music then do yourself a favour and try and get a ticket to one of their concerts. Just fantastic.
  • Options
    SaltireSaltire Posts: 525
    EPG said:

Saltire said:

But the leading party doesn't matter in one-seat STV elections where unionists are waiting in the wings to transfer to each other.
    True but usually in Scotland the Tories have a harder time to attract 2nd preferences than the Nationalists. Maybe it is a sign of the times that when push comes to shove the Libdem and Labour voters would now prefer to vote CON rather that SNP. Although having seen the result from Britain Elects it would not of taken too many 2nd preferences to get over the line.

CON: 48.5% (+18.4) SNP: 38.4% (-2.8) LAB: 6.3% (-3.7) LDEM: 4.5% (-2.1) UKIP: 2.2% (+2.2)
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,016
    AndyJS said:

Spain and Ireland both struggling to form governments at present.

Maybe they should have a grand coalition like in Britain, where the only two electable forces, namely pro- and anti-EU Conservatives, are in a loveless pact
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790

Married celebrity father who had a threesome with another couple is now being widely named on Facebook and Twitter but STILL the British media is banned from naming him

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3528765/Married-celebrity-father-threesome-couple-widely-named-Facebook-Twitter-British-media-banned-named-him.html

No comment or "innocent face" from me.

It is a thousand times easier to find out who YMA and PJS are than it is to work out why either of them might think that anybody might care about the fact that they are or were having a threesome (or not). In due course, the injunction will be lifted, and nobody will be any the wiser about why their names were secret in the first place.

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited April 2016

OT.

Saw ELO at Nottingham tonight. Absolutely brilliant. If you have any liking for their music then do yourself a favour and try and get a ticket to one of their concerts. Just fantastic.

Bit of a coincidence, they happened to be on BBC4 tonight performing Hold On Tight on a vintage edition of Top of the Pops from August 1981.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0763rc3/top-of-the-pops-13081981
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    JohnLoony said:

Married celebrity father who had a threesome with another couple is now being widely named on Facebook and Twitter but STILL the British media is banned from naming him

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3528765/Married-celebrity-father-threesome-couple-widely-named-Facebook-Twitter-British-media-banned-named-him.html

It is a thousand times easier to find out who YMA and PJS are than it is to work out why either of them might think that anybody might care about the fact that they are or were having a threesome (or not). In due course, the injunction will be lifted, and nobody will be any the wiser about why their names were secret in the first place.

If the internet is correct, the Sun Picture editor might have found another 'anonymous' graphic to illustrate their story:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/7056978/Revealed-celebrity-threesome-couple-named-in-the-US.html
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    JohnLoony said:

All they've done is wasted a lot of money on lawyers - 'younger partner in celebrity relationship plays away shocker' would have lasted about a day......now it will run & run.....
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976

JohnLoony said:

All they've done is wasted a lot of money on lawyers - 'younger partner in celebrity relationship plays away shocker' would have lasted about a day......now it will run & run.....
    Morning fellow insomniacs.

Tis a sad, sad situation Miss Carlotta, and as you rightly say, a complete waste of money on lawyers in the age of the internet.
This discussion has been closed.