Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Updated EURef polling tale and a reminder about tomorrow ni

124»

Comments

• Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091

I think Dave's bad week is going to get worse. A former Indy journo is publishing something on Sunday that could be rather difficult.

Such a tease!
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    It's going to reach 100k during the news probably ...
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    Speedy said:

I think Dave's bad week is going to get worse. A former Indy journo is publishing something on Sunday that could be rather difficult.

Don't tell us details, just tell us if it will effect the chances of Remain.
    I don't think OGH will let us say too much more. I am sure he is aware of this.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

rcs1000 said:

Hunt insists he will impose new contract on NHS doctors

The matter is closed, says the health secretary, who is refusing to budge over the new contract for junior medics as their two-day strike comes to an end

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/apr/07/hunt-insists-he-will-impose-new-contract-on-nhs-doctors

While I don't feel sorry for doctors in general over this, I do feel for A&E guys. They are seeing a huge pay cut, and they are the speciality with the worst retention rates already.
    Cameron does not need this rumbling on during the EUref.He needs to appreciate the NHS Panzer brigade are next in line for a confrontation,the Consultants.Nurses have had enough too after the bursary ban.He would wise to sack Jeremy Hunt,remove the contractual imposition and do what all governments have had to do with the medical profession-fill their mouths with gold and buy out the contract.
    As a patient all I want is the matter resolved so the doctors go back to working normally.Cameron needs to get a grip to secure this too.Boris Johnson would be my choice of a replacement.
    The All Out strike on 26th -27th is well timed to dominate the news, particularly relevant to the London elections (no strikes in devolved countries, only in England).

I have seen our Trust plans. Emergency cover will be by Consultants, but with much greater impact on elective work.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,527
    rcs1000 said:

The matter is closed, says the health secretary, who is refusing to budge over the new contract for junior medics as their two-day strike comes to an end

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/apr/07/hunt-insists-he-will-impose-new-contract-on-nhs-doctors

While I don't feel sorry for doctors in general over this, I do feel for A&E guys. They are seeing a huge pay cut, and they are the speciality with the worst retention rates already.
    I know someone who was in A&E with whiplash recently. She said it was full of people who'd eaten too much chocolate over Easter. Don't know to what extent she was exaggerating, but if I were the NHS I'd tell them to take their bellyache and do one.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Indigo said:

rcs1000 said:

I actually know a few people who think a narrow Remain is the best for the country

What gets me if the futility of the entire exercise. With the eurozone federalising, and the UK determined not to join the Euro, its only a matter of time, maybe 5-10 years, maybe not even that long, before the differences are too large to paper over, and we will have no choice but to leave. Everything that is true about leaving now will be true then, only more so, it will be a bigger shock, be more economically risky, and we will have more points of contact to unpick and replace. So what do we gain by putting off the evil hour. Its not good for the country, its not good for the EU, the only thing that gets any benefit from it is (briefly) Cameron's place in the history books. Is this what we have come to ?

This all presupposes the other two elephants squeezing into this very small room, namely migration (and especially migration mandated by the EU) and terrorism don't force our hand earlier. I have often wondered how many acts of terrorism it would take within a short timescale, maybe a couple of months, before freedom of movement is completely politically untenable, I think maybe three. How many sleepers were supposed to be being infiltrated into the EU again ?
    I think it equally certain that in the event of Leave that within 10 years there would be a strong movement to rejoinn the EU.

60 years of Euro hokey-cokey is not going to end on June 25th!
    Fat chance. Where does the source of this desire come from?
    The 50% + of the population that currently poll for Remain, bolstered by a significant number of Leavers with buyers remorse when they realise that they have been sold a lie...
    Nah quite a proportion of the Remain voters are so due to fear, inertia or confidence in the government's recommendation.

Once we leave there's nothing to fear
    Inertia will play against rejoining once we leave
    A post leave government won't be backing rejoining

So all those voters will be gone from Remain once we have left and have nothing to Remain in.

As for Leave voters, rejoining won't fix any of their concerns.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    edited April 2016
    FPT

As a thought experiment, if Leave had been given £9 million to put a leaflet on every doorstep setting out its prospectus, what would have been in its pages?

Quite correct Mr Meeks. However......... They weren't so what they would have put on this is academic.

The big question is Why !!!!! were they not given 9 million. If the government can spend 9 million of our money without authorisation then an equivalent amount should be given to their opposition in this circumstance. Anything less means the referendum is completely skewered in favour of those on the government line.

For you to call this "a thought experiment" shows the arrogant way Remain is promoting their cause. You sir are part of that problem by not only excusing it but going along with it.

You should be ashamed.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,991

Speedy said:

Is Dave the 3rd man in the NE story :p ?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Speedy said:

Is Dave the 3rd man in the NE story :p ?
    LOL...ssshhh we aren't allowed to talk about that.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited April 2016
    Meanwhile, I feel rather smug after I finally found out who the celebrity "superinjunction" was about. Thankfully, even after it took me so long, I'm still standing.

(I'll get my coat...)
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Meanwhile, I feel rather smug after I finally found out who the celebrity "superinjunction" was about.

Its a goodie....you can see why the Sun really wanted to print it.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,991
    Danny565 said:

Meanwhile, I feel rather smug after I finally found out who the celebrity "superinjunction" was about. Thankfully, even after it took me so long, I'm still standing.

(I'll get my coat...)

Noone would give a monkeys but get a superinjunction and it turns into a great game of Tw@tter Guess Who
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

(I'll get my coat...)

Well it's Your song.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Awkward.... Possibly?

David Cameron has admitted for the first time he did hold shares in a controversial offshore fund set up by his late father.

The Prime Minister has faced questions this week over his family's tax affairs after details of Ian Cameron's investment fund were reported as part of the Panama Papers leak. Mr Cameron's admission that he owned, sold and made a profit on shares in Blairmore Holdings before he became PM has prompted calls for him to resign.

Number 10 has said he will publish his tax returns "in the coming weeks

http://news.sky.com/story/1674594/pm-admits-owning-shares-in-dads-offshore-fund

Why don't they just shred his tax returns like occurred with a previous PM in another fiscal issue?
  • Options
    Charles said:

JohnLoony said:

As far as I can tell, "London Has Fallen" is a sequel to "Olympus Has Fallen". Is it worthwhile watching LHF without having already seen OHF?

It's not really a sequel - just the same characters and same plot in a different location.

I went to see it with my wife, and we both really enjoyed it. I believe she liked seeing various UK landmarks blown up. I quite liked what happened to the French...
    Isn't that why the White House getting blown up in Independence Day got a huge cheer/applause pretty much everywhere?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,374
    Bit weird but we have so far had 3 quite professional leaflets from the Tories (and some canvassers), one from the SNP and nothing from anyone else. SNP one went into the bin before I saw it, natch.
  • Options

Danny565 said:

(I'll get my coat...)

Well it's Your song.
    Can you feel the love (on here) tonight?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,061

rcs1000 said:

I know someone who was in A&E with whiplash recently. She said it was full of people who'd eaten too much chocolate over Easter. Don't know to what extent she was exaggerating, but if I were the NHS I'd tell them to take their bellyache and do one.
    That's not the point I was making.

If you are an A&E doctor, you are already working unsocial hours. In the old days, you were paid more than your colleague in paediatrics, because peak demand for your service was 9pm to 2am, Friday and Saturday night.

Now, he's got a big pay rise, and you've had a big pay cut.

If A&E was an oversubscribed speciality, you'd day "so what?" But it's not, it already struggles to retain staff, because it's a shitty job dealing with drunk idiots who've hurry themselves.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,290
    Something for the civil engineers to enjoy.

http://www.scottishplant.co.uk/lights-out-on-loch-lomond/

Construction of viaduct on A82 near Pulpit Rock, Loch Lomond, a short stretch of improved road.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    The Heir to Blair owned shares in Blairmore:

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/718181642624507904
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    The thing with headline polling figures is that the often have different meanings.

The ORB phone numbers were on 'EU Referendum Intensity", while others are based on turnouts of 80% +.

I keep looking at the numbers around 60%-65% turnout - and they are usually the 10/10 certain to vote numbers.

Leave are up for it. Remain looks like the prefix for 'at home' judging by the certainty to vote numbers.
  • Options
    There is also a big Boris Johnson story that is prevented by injunction from being printed.
  • Options
    @ME_SE Tata Steel investigated by Fraud Squad?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

There is also a big Boris Johnson story that is prevented by injunction from being printed.

A new one? Or an old one that most people already know about?
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

It feels staggeringly appropriate, doesn't it...
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

About six weeks old...
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

About six weeks old...
    Arhh ok, not the one I was thinking about. Boris being Boris...
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

That will be a problem. A rather large problem.

" Lights will be burning late tonight in Whitehall " ....... type of problem.....
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    edited April 2016
    Danny565 said:

(I'll get my coat...)

I see you read the National Enquirer about Ted Cruz and hooked to it.
  • Options

Danny565 said:

(I'll get my coat...)

Well it's Your song.
    When Ronnie Corbett died, I was waiting Four Candles In The Wind to be played.
  • Options

Danny565 said:

(I'll get my coat...)

Well it's Your song.
    Naughty :smile:
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

That's not the point I was making.

If you are an A&E doctor, you are already working unsocial hours. In the old days, you were paid more than your colleague in paediatrics, because peak demand for your service was 9pm to 2am, Friday and Saturday night.

Now, he's got a big pay rise, and you've had a big pay cut.

If A&E was an oversubscribed speciality, you'd day "so what?" But it's not, it already struggles to retain staff, because it's a shitty job dealing with drunk idiots who've hurry themselves.
    Not quite correct. Paeds have onerous rotas too, both neonatal and older.

The biggest shortfalls in recruitment are in Psychiatry, and General Practice. GP is running with 30% vacancies in new starters in August. The other big drops are in A and E, Acute medicine, Paeds and Obstetrics. Junior doctors in Paeds and Obstetrics are about 75% women, so the new contract hits them particularly hard.

There are going to be major rota gaps in these specialities in August.
  • Options

Danny565 said:

(I'll get my coat...)

Well it's Your song.
    Or was it Fork Handles in the Wind?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

About six weeks old...
    Are you going tomorrow night?
    If so, you can tell me about it then to save me looking it up.
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    weejonnie said:

RoyalBlue said:

STOP CAMERON spending British taxpayers’ money on Pro-EU Referendum leaflets

92,094 signatures

It won't hit 100,000 by 10pm. Shame!
    "It also emerged last night that the firm which printed the Government’s leaflet is owned by a German company given repeated hand-outs by the European Commission." (Telegraph)

What was that again about Mr Cameron urging councils to buy British-Made Steel?

You couldn't make it up.
    Yep great stuff - Her Majesty's Government doling out cheap, second-hand propaganda produced abroad.

Sordid.
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

All the front pages are bad.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    This front page at least has some good news for opponents of the Hinkley Point nuclear scheme, EDF may delay it due to costs:

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/718184863023689728
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,051

Danny565 said:

(I'll get my coat...)

Well it's Your song.
    No, no, you were waiting for Candles in ......
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    Cameron's answer about selling the fund in 2010 was bizarre. He didn't want to have a conflict of interest when he became PM... so, he'd had a conflict of interest as leader of the opposition and was fine with it?
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited April 2016
    Is a consequence of Cameron's offshore share sale of £30k from 6 years ago that he is going to have to keep a low profile and STFU about the referendum for a while?
  • Options

Danny565 said:

(I'll get my coat...)

Well it's Your song.
    Careful for going so off topic. You will get a rocket, man.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,051

Danny565 said:

(I'll get my coat...)

Well it's Your song.
    Where's Major Tom when you need him?
  • Options
    edited April 2016

Danny565 said:

(I'll get my coat...)

Well it's Your song.
    Please....Its just the circle of life...
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    "Michael Crick ‏@MichaelLCrick 10m10 minutes ago
    Cameron says Blairmore wasn't tax avoidance, but its 2006 prospectus boasted the fund wasn't subject to UK income tax or corporation tax."

If this link is from the cited prospectus, it does appear that there is some liability for UK tax.

"Subject to their personal circumstances, Shareholders resident in the United Kingdom for taxation purposes will be liable to United Kingdom income tax or corporation tax in respect of dividends or other distributions of an income nature made by the Fund, whether or not such distributions are reinvested."

http://globaldocuments.morningstar.com/documentlibrary/Document/ec3dcb9ffb02c630042fa1ac2c7d56de.msdoc/original

I'm not convinced that Crick is right on this, but other PBers may have more expertise to sift through the clauses.
  • Options

Danny565 said:

(I'll get my coat...)

Well it's Your song.
    Where's Major Tom when you need him?
    No wonder the Sun wanted to publish this but we need to tell the celebrity don't let the Sun go down on you.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited April 2016

Imagine if Cameron had just said this to begin with...

I did own stocks and shares in the past - quite naturally because my father was a stockbroker. Myself and my wife bought shares in April 1997 for £12,497 and sold it in January 2010 for £31,500. I sold them all in 2010, because if I was going to become Prime Minister I didn't want anyone to say you have other agendas, vested interests. I properly paid income tax on the dividends. I now own no shares in any companies, I own a house and my only income is my salary, rent on the home I let out and some interest on my savings.
    The press would have gone nuts for one day and I think that would of been it.

They wouldn't even have gone nuts for a day, it is a non issue. It has been turned into a thing by
    A) Cameron previously commenting on Jimmy Carr which makes Cameron fair game
    B ) The very obviously carefully worded content free statements initially given.
  • Options
    Cameron must be beginning to understand Supermac's "events, dear boy, events" and Powell's "all political careers end in failure" ....
  • Options

Cameron's answer about selling the fund in 2010 was bizarre. He didn't want to have a conflict of interest when he became PM... so, he'd had a conflict of interest as leader of the opposition and was fine with it?

For Cameron sorry seems to be the hardest word for him to say these days.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    DavidL said:

Bit weird but we have so far had 3 quite professional leaflets from the Tories (and some canvassers), one from the SNP and nothing from anyone else. SNP one went into the bin before I saw it, natch.

The Ruth Davidson 2nd Place Anti-Referendum Party you mean?
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited April 2016
    The petition passes 100,000 in a day. Tonight.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Cameron says Blairmore wasn't tax avoidance, but its 2006 prospectus boasted the fund wasn't subject to UK income tax or corporation tax."

If this link is from the cited prospectus, it does appear that there is some liability for UK tax.

"Subject to their personal circumstances, Shareholders resident in the United Kingdom for taxation purposes will be liable to United Kingdom income tax or corporation tax in respect of dividends or other distributions of an income nature made by the Fund, whether or not such distributions are reinvested."

http://globaldocuments.morningstar.com/documentlibrary/Document/ec3dcb9ffb02c630042fa1ac2c7d56de.msdoc/original

I'm not convinced that Crick is right on this, but other PBers may have more expertise to sift through the clauses.

David Cameron said he had paid all taxes on the dividends and that capital gains tax did not apply as it was below the capital gains tax threshold. This would appear to confirm the prospectus and that he had fully complied with UK tax requirements
  • Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800

dr_spyn said:

David Cameron said he had paid all taxes on the dividends and that capital gains tax did not apply as it was below the capital gains tax threshold. This would appear to confirm the prospectus and that he had fully complied with UK tax requirements
    Here endeth the gospel according to CCHQ
  • Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800

The petition passes 100,000 in a day. Tonight.

What petition, been out all day.
  • Options
    NEW THREAD
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    dr_spyn said:

He isn't correct. There was / is liability. The issue really surrounded the fact that the fund used bearer bonds which COULD be misused to hide your profits from this fund. Peston posted earlier today that there isn't anything that particularly remarkable / unique about the investment fund in comparison to structure of many other hedge / investment funds.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

Is a consequence of Cameron's offshore share sale of £30k from 6 years ago that he is going to have to keep a low profile and STFU about the referendum for a while?

This is the face/star of the remain campaign.couldn't have happened to a nicer con.

I lost trust in the guy over his bull on the EU deal/then afterwards with camps in dover and the lie's of ever been a Eurosceptic,he's a full blown Eurofile,just watch the passion in his remain propaganda speeches.
This discussion has been closed.