Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Local By-Election Preview : March 24th 2016 (Maundy Thursda

2»

Comments

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344
    Brazil - yes, having successfully worked for a year with local allies to persuade politicians to pass an animal welfare bill in the lower house, it's really frustrating that we can't get it through the upper house, a least partly because everyone is preoccupied with trying to impeach each other. What it must be like to live there if you're interested in politics I can't imagine. We used to have a regular Brazilian poster ("Me") - I wonder if she's still around to shed any light.
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    "Allerdale (despite it’s rather Sherwood Forest sounding name) is not in Nottinghamshire, but is in fact in Cumbria and from it’s shores can be seen (assuming there is not any fog) Dumfries and Galloway so therefore as you might expect, there is a strong Independent streak on the council."

How do you expect us to take you seriously when you repeatedly flagrantly provocatively perversely put an apostrophe in the word "its", and when you bizarrely and illogically and baselessly imply that we are somehow expecting Allerdale to be in Nottinghamshire? I only have a sketchy knowledge of where some of the local authorities in England are, especially if they have obscure names, but I am at a loss to comprehend how the name "Allerdale" somehow "sounds" like Sherwood Forest, or anything to do with Nottinghamshire.
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838
    JohnLoony said:

"Allerdale (despite it’s rather Sherwood Forest sounding name) is not in Nottinghamshire, but is in fact in Cumbria and from it’s shores can be seen (assuming there is not any fog) Dumfries and Galloway so therefore as you might expect, there is a strong Independent streak on the council."

How do you expect us to take you seriously when you repeatedly flagrantly provocatively perversely put an apostrophe in the word "its", and when you bizarrely and illogically and baselessly imply that we are somehow expecting Allerdale to be in Nottinghamshire? I only have a sketchy knowledge of where some of the local authorities in England are, especially if they have obscure names, but I am at a loss to comprehend how the name "Allerdale" somehow "sounds" like Sherwood Forest, or anything to do with Nottinghamshire.

Well, there is an Alan-a-Dale in the Robin Hood stories.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    JohnLoony said:

Alan-a-Dale?
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    Wanderer said:

JohnLoony said:

Well, there is an Alan-a-Dale in the Robin Hood stories.
    What the extremely gigantic lump of smelly ectoplasm has Alan-a-Dale got to do with Allerdale? Are we supposedly too stupid to notice the difference? Why are you provoking me thus with your aardvarkism?
  • Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596
    In that video the band appear to be surrounded by discarded giant squid offcuts, for some reason
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    AndyJS said:

What's the problem with UB40?

tyson said:

I'm going to sound like such an old fogey- but the Specials, Billy Bragg, UB40 et al- and my beloved Manchester music- Joy Division, New Order, Smiths, Buzzcocks, and then the Stone Roses, the Mondays, Primal Scream. And we were all living off post modernist American 70's cinema- Scorcese, Pakula, Ashby, Cimino, Allen, Coppola etc...

Musically, culturally, I cannot complain about the time and place I grew up in. Thank god it isn't as boring as Adele, the Internet, Facebook and multi channel TV.

viewcode said:

It makes me feel old ...

I can beat that. The Jam. "Going Underground". Number 1 on this day...thirty-five years ago.
    Straight in at number one as I recall, which was very rare in those days. I remember it well.
    UB40!!!!?????

I saw the Jam loads of times at the Rainbow and also their final gig in Brighton. They were superb. The late 70s/early 80s was a golden time for music and much else, even as the country itself seemed to be in permanent turmoil. Maybe that was the reason. London Calling was maybe the definitive song of that era.

I suppose reggae enthusiasts may look down on them, their later stuff was really quite poor, but Signing Off is a spectacularly good album. Every song outstanding.

Up there with Satta Massagana, or Blackheart Man in my top 10 of reggae.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    The religious leader at Scotland's biggest mosque has praised an extremist who was executed for committing murder in Pakistan, the BBC can reveal.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-35893123
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    Saw this sign today -

Ban pre-shredded cheese: make America grate again.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited March 2016
    I haven't listened to the album. Just heard one or two songs from it. I'll give it a try soon.

AndyJS said:

tyson said:

I'm going to sound like such an old fogey- but the Specials, Billy Bragg, UB40 et al- and my beloved Manchester music- Joy Division, New Order, Smiths, Buzzcocks, and then the Stone Roses, the Mondays, Primal Scream. And we were all living off post modernist American 70's cinema- Scorcese, Pakula, Ashby, Cimino, Allen, Coppola etc...

Musically, culturally, I cannot complain about the time and place I grew up in. Thank god it isn't as boring as Adele, the Internet, Facebook and multi channel TV.

viewcode said:

It makes me feel old ...

I can beat that. The Jam. "Going Underground". Number 1 on this day...thirty-five years ago.
    Straight in at number one as I recall, which was very rare in those days. I remember it well.
    UB40!!!!?????

I saw the Jam loads of times at the Rainbow and also their final gig in Brighton. They were superb. The late 70s/early 80s was a golden time for music and much else, even as the country itself seemed to be in permanent turmoil. Maybe that was the reason. London Calling was maybe the definitive song of that era.

I suppose reggae enthusiasts may look down on them, their later stuff was really quite poor, but Signing Off is a spectacularly good album. Every song outstanding.

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    AndyJS said:

I haven't listened to the album. Just heard one or two songs from it. I'll give it a try soon.

AndyJS said:

tyson said:

viewcode said:

It makes me feel old ...

UB40!!!!?????

Like a lot of roots reggae, it is very political and provocative. Marcus Garvey by Burning Spear and Equal Rights by Pete Tosh are other great political roots reggae albums. Satta Massagana by the Abyssinians or Blackheart Man by Bunny Wailer are more spiritual in style.

This discussion has been closed.