Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » LAB close the gap by 5 points with ComRes online to just 9%

SystemSystem Posts: 11,689
edited March 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » LAB close the gap by 5 points with ComRes online to just 9% behind

An encouraging finding for Cameron and one which could be crucial that CON voters are twice as likely to say they trust the PM more than the Mayor to do what is best for Britain (54% say they trust Cameron more v 27% who trust Johnson more).

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,946
    First. You'd think all this Turkey friendly policy was almost designed to get a LEAVE vote....
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,946
    And second, really quite staggering that a lead of 9 is described as 'just 9%'.

This is the post Corbo polity.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited March 2016
    LAB close the gap by 5 points with ComRes online to just 9% behind....

It is regression to the mean isn't it, one where Labour are still sub 30%.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930
    "Just" 9% behind

JUST 9%

JUST 9%

JUST NINE PERCENT o_O
  • Options
    I see Osborne ain't too popular and people saying they feel worse off, but then when given the option to stick or twist...they clearly backing stick with the poshos.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,988
    Wasn't Miliband about 10 points (or more) ahead at this stage?

Mr. Mortimer, nein, mein Freund. It's merely continuing the current EU approach of juvenile emotion-led policy coupled with complete incompetence.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Trump: "Hillary doesn't seem able to win, even against a Communist..."
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Imagine how well Ukip would be polling if they had a credible leader....
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    edited March 2016
    The Comres online poll has since May 2015 been consistently the worst for Labour - and best for the Tories. It will be interesting to see what other pollsters come up with. ICM a few days back had the Tory lead at just 4%.
    I have just checked - and this is the smallest Tory lead from Comres online since the election -.11% was previously the bottom of a range of 11 -15%.
  • Options
    Mr. 86, they'd be into the 20s. But then, if Labour had a credible leader they'd be nudging the 40s.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,826
    Labours "just" 9% behind? Really? "Just" 9%? LOL!
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    FPT
    I see that Matt has reported me for something or other. I hope I'm not going to be banned again, and this time for nothing.
  • Options
    Mr. K, seems entirely legitimate to be critical and suspicious of the likes of Erdogan, and to have contempt for the EU's handling of the migrant crisis.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    In March 2011 Labour generally had around between 5% and 10% leads (and I remember saying even then that Labour/Ed Miliband wasn't really doing well enough given the circumstances)

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/voting-intention-2

Corbyn is doing very substantially and significantly worse than Ed Miliband.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    dp

• Options
    tlg86 said:

Agree to some extent. As I wrote a day or two ago, I'm letting my UKIP membership lapse in May, not so much because of the leader but because the party is still a shambles with no professional organisation.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,972
    Disaster!
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,807
    edited March 2016
    I'm generally among the most optimistic about Labour's chances generally, I was the one predicting a Labour majority up to February 2015, and have not ruled out them doing ok under Corbyn (if the Tories implode), but I have to agree with GIN1138 and others on this one - just 9%?

The environment does not seem good for Osborne though.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    MikeK said:

tlg86 said:

Agree to some extent. As I wrote a day or two ago, I'm letting my UKIP membership lapse in May, not so much because of the leader but because the party is still a shambles with no professional organisation.
    I remain convinced that Farage is a complete fake, wedded to the EU gravy train and intent on making sure we REMAIN in the EU.

Anyway, whatever happens with the referendum, UKIP is out of business on 24th June surely?
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    I bet they didn't expect that result for Boris on good for Britain v good for his career.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,807

I bet they didn't expect that result for Boris on good for Britain v good for his career.

I certainly didn't. I assume some people believe he thinks it is both.
  • Options

Mr. 86, they'd be into the 20s. But then, if Labour had a credible leader they'd be nudging the 40s.

I'm not so sure. I wouldn't say that Farage has covered himself in glory since the election, but the way some people talk about Ukip on here you'd think they should be back in single figures. That they're not suggests that there is a chunk of the electorate who will vote Ukip come what may.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    kle4 said:

I'm generally among the most optimistic about Labour's chances generally, I was the one predicting a Labour majority up to February 2015, and have not ruled out them doing ok under Corbyn (if the Tories implode), but I have to agree with GIN1138 and others on this one - just 9%?

The environment does not seem good for Osborne though.

It's the same old story. Corbyn/Labour has until early 2018 to build their greatest lead over the Tories, after which opinion will gradually move back to the government up to the election (whether the pollsters notice that swingback is another matter but given how useless opinion polls in this country generally are, they probably won't) so realistically, Corbyn/Labour has little more than two years to win the general election and they probably need to gain around 20-25% from where they are now by 2018...
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

In March 2011 Labour generally had around between 5% and 10% leads (and I remember saying even then that Labour/Ed Miliband wasn't really doing well enough given the circumstances)

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/voting-intention-2

Corbyn is doing very substantially and significantly worse than Ed Miliband.

That is true. In March 2011 we were getting far more polls and the results ranged from a Labour lead of 11% to a few ties and a Tory lead of 1% from ICM
    At the same point in the 2001 Parliament - April 2002 - Labour enjoyed leads ranging from 12 to 23%.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Next stop on the Trump Express: Kansas City, MO.
    More protests expected, from such as these...

'PYO’s page shows a strong pro-Soviet, anti-police bent. In one picture posted on its page, a member of the group is seen holding an anti-cop sign that reads “Today’s Pig, Tomorrow’s Bacon.”'

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2016/03/12/kansas-city-mayor-warns-against-violence-at-trump-rally/#ixzz42ijdN2pa
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662

I see Osborne ain't too popular and people saying they feel worse off, but then when given the option to stick or twist...they clearly backing stick with the poshos.

No - the question is 'no better off', which is not the same as worse off. Unless, of course, you think that it is the Government's job to make you better off rather than doing it yourself!
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    dp again sorry

• Options
    Anyway, my eyes are going a bit fuzzy, so I'm off.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    GIN1138 said:

MikeK said:

tlg86 said:

I remain convinced that Farage is a complete fake, wedded to the EU gravy train and intent on making sure we REMAIN in the EU.

Anyway, whatever happens with the referendum, UKIP is out of business on 24th June surely?
    A loss secures UKIP's future. A win puts the party out of business.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Sean_F said:

GIN1138 said:

MikeK said:

tlg86 said:

But after a loss we won't have another referendum for 40-50 years (if ever)?
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    MikeK said:

FPT
    I see that Matt has reported me for something or other. I hope I'm not going to be banned again, and this time for nothing.

No I haven't. Why should I report somebody whose posting is an excellent example of the principle of res ipsa loquitor?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Sean_F said:

GIN1138 said:

MikeK said:

tlg86 said:

That does not follow if a few years down the line UKIP and other Eurosceptics can persuade people that they were conned by Cameron and Remain.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    "Just 9%"?

Corbyn still in the honeymoon period then....
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    edited March 2016
    Why are people still drooling over polls - and especially the Con/Lab differential - given last May?

Or did people on here not notice that the polls weren't entirely accurate?
  • Options
    matt said:

MikeK said:

FPT

No I haven't. Why should I report somebody whose posting is an excellent example of the principle of res ipsa loquitor?
    One thing about PB is that I keep up with my latin.
  • Options
    William_HWilliam_H Posts: 346
    Closest they've been with ComRes Online since the election?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    GIN1138 said:

Sean_F said:

GIN1138 said:

MikeK said:

tlg86 said:

That depends on the margin, and crucially, on subsequent events. I'd expect the PM's deal to unravel very rapidly, in the event of a Remain vote.
  • Options
    more false tweets that Trump has cancelled his rally...
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    matt said:

MikeK said:

FPT

Aquila non copit murem.
  • Options
    REUTERS ROLLING:

TRUMP 45.4%
    Cruz 23.4%
    Rubio 12.5%
    Kasich 12.2%

http://polling.reuters.com/#poll/TR130/filters/PARTY_ID_:2/dates/20160307-20160311/type/day
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Looking like a Cruz blowout win in Wyoming.

Of course he's going to come unstuck in Illinois, New York, Maryland, New Jersey, Delaware, etc etc against Trump for all his strength in the midwest.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

REUTERS ROLLING:

TRUMP 45.4%
    Cruz 23.4%
    Rubio 12.5%
    Kasich 12.2%

http://polling.reuters.com/#poll/TR130/filters/PARTY_ID_:2/dates/20160307-20160311/type/day

Trump at just under 50% excluding Don't knows.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Pulpstar said:

Haven't figured out quite what they're doing in WY. Half the delegates decided tonight, half on April 16th?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Of course he's going to come unstuck in Illinois, New York, Maryland, New Jersey, Delaware, etc etc against Trump for all his strength in the midwest.

Well in a Republican Caucus of less that 4000 voters I guess Cruz will try and make out it was 400K voting.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,873
    Donald J. Trump ‏@realDonaldTrump 2h2 hours ago
    We are asking law enforcement to check for dishonest early voting in Florida- on behalf of little Marco Rubio.
    No way to run a country!
    3,564 retweets 9,125 likes
    Reply Retweet 3.6K
    Like 9.1K
    More
    Word is-early voting in FL is very dishonest. Little Marco, his State Chairman, & their minions are working overtime-trying to rig the vote.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,013
    MikeK said:

REUTERS ROLLING:

TRUMP 45.4%
    Cruz 23.4%
    Rubio 12.5%
    Kasich 12.2%

Reuters rolling, Rubio rising?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,339
    "To just 9% behind"

JUST 9% behind?

JUST?

:lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    edited March 2016
    Fishing said:

Why are people still drooling over polls - and especially the Con/Lab differential - given last May?

Or did people on here not notice that the polls weren't entirely accurate?

It is possible the polls were more accurate as a guide to public opinion than to election results, due to a number of special circumstances, not least of which were the polls themselves which, by showing the parties closely matched, made it seem too risky for anti-Labour supporters of UKIP and LibDems not to vote Conservative.

Whether it matters is a moot point.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

Pulpstar said:

Well in a Republican Caucus of less that 4000 voters I guess Cruz will try and make out it was 400K voting.
    Cruz is very good at getting his support out to the small events with tricky rules. If ever there was a Cruz state, it was Wyoming - weird how the deep south has turned out to be solidly Trump and the midwest much much better for Cruz.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,080

We are asking law enforcement to check for dishonest early voting in Florida- on behalf of little Marco Rubio.
    No way to run a country!

Louise Mensch is frantically tweeting support for Marco Rubio and claiming that this is evidence that Trump is scared.
  • Options

No way to run a country!

Louise Mensch is frantically tweeting support for Marco Rubio and claiming that this is evidence that Trump is scared.
    She is nuts, Nate Silver seems to have completely lost any sense of impartiality about Trump too.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @carlgardner: 44% want us out, 53% want their own referendum, and lots more very interesting French & EU poll findings here. https://t.co/QLYF0xXH8I
  • Options
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw_Zp6JeMyzIMl9Qd01vMmk4MDg/view?pref=2&pli=1

Here the Wyoming rules are explained, great picture on the wall.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    RodCrosby said:

Pulpstar said:

Haven't figured out quite what they're doing in WY. Half the delegates decided tonight, half on April 16th?
    By this point I am assuming most delegate tallies are produced by quantum entanglement.
  • Options
    https://www.facebook.com/WYGOP/

Sheridan County : Cruz 45 - Rubio 30. Cruz Delegate.
    Sweetwater: Cruz 45 - Rubio 28 - Trump 16. Cruz delegate
    Teton: Trump 21 Rubio 19. Trump delegate.
    Albany: Rubio 39 Cruz 37. Rubio delegate.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

No way to run a country!

She is nuts, Nate Silver seems to have completely lost any sense of impartiality about Trump too.
    http://opinion.injo.com/2016/03/254162-trump-accused-florida-gop-rigging-early-vote-rubio-party-responds/
  • Options
    Kasich still on zero votes in Wyoming...
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Can we have a translation of what is on the t-shirt...
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Pulpstar said:

No way to run a country!

Can you really be impartial about Trump ?
  • Options

It's a really, really bad pun.

Humza Yousaf is the bloke in the middle
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Scott_P said:
    It translates as "turnips are us"
  • Options
    @gsoh31: Method changes, but #Labour now 13.3% behind same pt under EdM in last Parl. That 6.65% swing at next GE wd = Con maj 220, Lab c125 seats.
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651

"To just 9% behind"

JUST 9% behind?

JUST?

I wondered whether the "just" was intended as a joke.

Sadly the "29%" was not trailed as "meritorious", "massive" or "momentous", so perhaps tongue was not in cheek.
  • Options

It translates as "turnips are us"

You will rue the day...
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,013
    Amusing and embarrassing for former Sen. Clinton
    http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/272790-sanders-spokesperson-fires-back-at-clinton-for-healthcare

She is not very good at this campaigning!
  • Options
    Alistair said:

RodCrosby said:

Pulpstar said:

By this point I am assuming most delegate tallies are produced by quantum entanglement.
    WY is one of the weirder ones.

It's like they elect delegates...to elect delegates...to elect delegates...
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

Alistair said:

RodCrosby said:

Pulpstar said:

WY is one of the weirder ones.

It's like they elect delegates...to elect delegates...to elect delegates...
    29 delegates though !

Massive amount for the size of the state. Not quite the same power per voter of the US Virgin Isles, or the ultimate in voter power - American Samoa mind. But not far off.
  • Options

"To just 9% behind"

JUST 9% behind?

JUST?

Sadly the "29%" was not trailed as "meritorious", "massive" or "momentous", so perhaps tongue was not in cheek.
    Yeah. Mike has a sense of humour.

If I had written this thread it would be headlined

'Great news for Labour and Corbyn as they reduce the Tory lead to single digits. On current trends Labour should be ahead by May'
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,865
    Evening all :)

After an earlier poll today got some people excited, a poll tonight to get a few more excited it would seem though most of the movement seems to be within margin of error so in truth not much to get excited about.

If there is to be any lasting damage to the Conservatives from the EU Referendum then we will see it 12 months down the road. At the moment, their position is however very healthy and everyone else's (in truth) pretty poor.

To matters across the sea, it is, as others say, hard to see how Trump won't get the GOP nomination. I had thought a Rubio win in FL and a Kasich win in OH might slow down the Donald but it seems not to be so what to do if you are an anti-Trump Republican ?

IF he loses in November, yes, HRC will be President but the GOP control of the Senate and House should remain through her term which will prevent her doing too much and by 2020 Trump will be a memory and a centrist GOP candidate should have a huge chance.

IF Trump wins, the 2018 midterms might be very unpleasant for the GOP with potentially loss of the Senate and perhaps even of the House which will slow down the Donald and leave him open to a primary challenge such as Ford faced in 1979-80 even if the Donald decides he wants a second term.

Sometimes in politics it's about biding your time and waiting for the opportunity rather than choosing someone you dislike even though he or she wears your party rosette.

• Options
    @Stodge Backed anything for Cheltenham yet ?
  • Options
    If anyone is betting on Corbyn exit dates

@JohnRentoul: Missed this snippet from @PCollinsTimes yesterday £ https://t.co/h9zA4TIWeb https://t.co/IVUB6iv9TY
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Will either of you be there?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Pulpstar said:

Will either of you be there?
    I'll be there wednesday with my parents in Best Mate. Have had £50 each way on a certain 9-2 shot in the Queen Mother...
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    BBC Radio 1 invites paedophile rapper onto Annie Mac

http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/bbc-radio-1-invites-paedophile-7545656

Not only a paedo, but a truly nasty piece of work....

He was also jailed for three years in 2011 for his part in the kidnap and torture of a disabled man in a ­ransom plot. He admitted false imprisonment and blackmail. Victim Ricky Dellaway was pistol-whipped, bundled into a car and held at a flat in Streatham, south London by a gang. They demanded £25,000 for his release but police went to the rescue.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I'll be there wednesday with my parents in Best Mate. Have had £50 each way on a certain 9-2 shot in the Queen Mother...

I'll wave from the other side of the track
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    edited March 2016

"To just 9% behind"

JUST 9% behind?

JUST?

'Great news for Labour and Corbyn as they reduce the Tory lead to single digits. On current trends Labour should be ahead by May'
    Or look at it this way (favourable to pollsters): Labour rounds up, and the Tories round down, to ..... 30 percent.
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    If the 'Cameron can't be trusted theme' gains traction, Remain are in serious trouble, especially with the poll results above showing him neck and neck with Johnson...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/eureferendum/12192207/john-longworth-david-cameron-sinister-downing-street-eu-referendum-brexit.html
  • Options
    Toms said:

"To just 9% behind"

JUST 9% behind?

JUST?

Or look at it this way (favourable to pollsters): Labour rounds up, and the Tories round down, to ..... 30 percent.
    Prior to the general election, I tweeted a Scottish Westminster VI poll, which like the previous few polls had the SNP with a lead of around 30%. I said "SNP continue to flatline in the polls with only a 30% lead"

The abuse I got from the Nats....
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341

Scott_P said:
    'I'm with Stupid'
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,865
    Pulpstar said:

Won't be at Cheltenham unfortunately this year but with the weather set fair it should be a fantastic four days.

Therein lies the problem...most of the racing this winter has been on ground on the heavy side of bottomless - hoe much will Prestbury Park dry out before Tuesday ? I could easily see the ground being nearer Good by Friday and that means most of the form can be thrown out the window along with the form book.

I've had a few squid on VANITEUX against DOUVAN on Tuesday and I know I'm probably completely Upminster - well beyond Barking - but I just think DOUVAN's jumping hasn't really
    been tested yet and as they say there are fools, damn fools and those who bet odds-on in novice chases.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Scott_P said:

@gsoh31: Method changes, but #Labour now 13.3% behind same pt under EdM in last Parl. That 6.65% swing at next GE wd = Con maj 220, Lab c125 seats.

But doing a good deal better than the Tories were at the same stage of the 2001 Parliament when they lagged Labour by 12 to 23%. Despite that , when it came to May 2005 they lost by a mere 3%. What would be the result in 2020 if Labour enjoys an improvement of the same magnitude as the Tories between 2002 and 2005?
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
  • Options
    @suttonnick: Mail on Sunday front page -
    PM: 'Gove is nuts, Boris is after my job'
    #tomorrowspaperstoday #bbcpapers #euref https://t.co/LztVxomyvq
  • Options
    The Minister in question is David Laws, a Lib Dem.
  • Options
    What written by David Laws - some will believe anything
  • Options
    The most interesting bit from the Mail on Sunday story is the Gove on the brink bit.

A real shame such a promising Cabinet career could come to an end for breaking Privy Council rules.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    Just laid Trump in Florida for ~£2k at 1.15
  • Options
    Oops, looks like Scott_P is worryingly off message

https://twitter.com/RuthDavidsonMSP/status/708745634514337792?s=09
  • Options

The most interesting bit from the Mail on Sunday story is the Gove on the brink bit.

A real shame such a promising Cabinet career could come to an end for breaking Privy Council rules.

That would mean the conversation did happen and those are the views of the Queen.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Umm, no.

Read the speech, Indyref2 is not part of the "new campaign"
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

That would mean the conversation did happen and those are the views of the Queen.
    Not quite, the conversation was in 2011 and about the Eurozone.

At no point did the Queen say she was a Brexiter.

As the other spin this week is, she favours Remain as Brexit might herald the break up of her country.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

As the other spin this week is, she favours Remain as Brexit might herald the break up of her country.
    I'd suggest that sacking Gove would be a courageous decision.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Alistair said:

Umm, no.

Read the speech, Indyref2 is not part of the "new campaign"
    So why is Dear Lead Ruth organising a petition against a second Indy ref?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,339

tlg86 said:

Surely Her Majesty would prefer to be Head of State of an independent UK, not just a mere province of Brussels? After all, she is "Sovereign"!
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

He'd resign. He's a very principled man, who if the allegations are true, made a rare lapse in judgement.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    edited March 2016
    David Laws is not exactly the most trustworthy source and he still manages to state the obvious.

On other news, with the Wyoming caucus going to Cruz and the Northern Marianas going to Trump, the world keeps it's breath for the results of the D.C caucus which will go to Rubio.
    Or not.

Goodnight.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

He'd resign. He's a very principled man, who if the allegations are true, made a rare lapse in judgement.
    So if he doesn't resign that means we can assume that he is innocent?
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    edited March 2016

tlg86 said:

Also allegedly the conversation said she is a Eurosceptic, not a Brexiter. As was pointed out Brexit wasn't remotely on the table at the time of the conversation. Though the Outers are happily pushing the line that anyone intending to vote Remain is a EUphile, the truth is that many people voting for Remain are indeed Eurosceptics who reluctantly support being in EU on the grounds that it has advantages that outweigh the negatives that they dislike about the whole thing.
This discussion has been closed.