Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Maybe the LAB membership isn’t quite the force for Corbyn a

Comments

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,336
    edited March 2016
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/02/26/ive-been-to-trump-university-this-is-what-i-saw/

These schemes are still going strong today, here in the US and the UK. They always walk the line and are overwhelmingly found to be perfectly legal, as they are normally found to impart some information. They all follow the same model, free introduction seminar, hard upselling of further courses, and what you get is information but at a very high cost and normally can be found elsewhere for a lot less.

The guy behind "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" did the same as Trump and leveraged his popular book into a massive licensing scheme, where people used that brand to sell these courses.

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/f9d966544ead050d3b43d207b3cd8a6b4a03bc24/c=0-163-1831-2604&r=183&c=0-0-180-240/local/-/media/2015/08/25/Phoenix/B9318587828Z.1_20150825220202_000_G2QBNPD89.1-0.jpg

However, I am shocked they are allowed to be honest.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,925

Remain: George Osborne, Alan Johnson, Tim Farron, Caroline Lucas

Leave: Boris Johnson, Nigel Farage, Iain Duncan Smith, George Galloway

http://order-order.com/2016/03/10/bbcs-tv-debate-revenge-on-no-10/

Alien vs Predator...

That sounds ghastly.

Why are there no female proponents for Leave on that panel?

Andrea Leadsom, Priti Patel, Andrea Jenkyns, Sarah Wollaston, Kate Hooey or Gisela Stuart would be better than any of that lot.
    I see what you mean, but I think it could be electric. Boris, George, Nigel, are all great speakers on their day, but all capable of utter disaster too. Total high stakes gamble.
    The BBC has chosen well. The worst Leavers to choose IMHO.

On the other hand, Tim Farron and Caroline Lucas won't set the world on fire either.
    They've chosen what could be a disaster panel for Leave, yes. But this could backfire and it could flip into a triumph. You could have Nigel sweating, George ranting, Boris chuntering away, in a grotesquely awkward dance of death. But if they're sensible, cool, forensic about figures, and all understand the enemy is the other side, they could chew up that opposition and spit out the bones. George Osborne strikes me as the highest quality orator on the other side, and the one most likely to be on top of his brief, and that's really not saying much for the rest.

You would have done better to just stop after the first sentence!
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,681
    OllyT said:

Alien vs Predator...

That sounds ghastly.

Andrea Leadsom, Priti Patel, Andrea Jenkyns, Sarah Wollaston, Kate Hooey or Gisela Stuart would be better than any of that lot.
    REMAIN will walk this with anyone other that committed BREXITERS. That line up will get virtually every Labour, Lib Dem, Green Tory voter lined up in the REMAIN camp.
    Just like Nick Clegg was going to walk it with Farage...
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    @rcs1000 re Fleet Street: I don't have as high an opinion on Goldman as you clearly do!

@cyclefree i'd far rather there was transparent charging for services provided and then we can get away from stuffing savers on the interest spread and people who do selling things on ancillary fees and penalties that are way divorced from the real cost of their transgression

@taffys the niche fit "honest and competent bank" is already taken
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    So far we have:
    1 Country (Iceland) wanting to negotiate a free-trade deal with the UK post Brexit
    0 Countries wanting to impose economic sanctions with the UK post Brexit.

Clear win for BREXIT over FUD.
  • Options

Alien vs Predator...

That sounds ghastly.

I see what you mean, but I think it could be electric. Boris, George, Nigel, are all great speakers on their day, but all capable of utter disaster too. Total high stakes gamble.

On the other hand, Tim Farron and Caroline Lucas won't set the world on fire either.
    They've chosen what could be a disaster panel for Leave, yes. But this could backfire and it could flip into a triumph. You could have Nigel sweating, George ranting, Boris chuntering away, in a grotesquely awkward dance of death. But if they're sensible, cool, forensic about figures, and all understand the enemy is the other side, they could chew up that opposition and spit out the bones. George Osborne strikes me as the highest quality orator on the other side, and the one most likely to be on top of his brief, and that's really not saying much for the rest.

Surely the campaigns ought to get to decide who represents them themselves rather than have the BBC do it.
    There is no official LEAVE group yet besides you cannot argue that those 4 have pretty much taken the lead for LEAVE. It's not the BBC's fault that it looks like an impending car crash.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,258
    MaxPB said:

Wow, just read that Draghi didn't rule out helicopter money. Seems absolutely insane on the face of it. Surely we'd be looking at Germxit if the ECB started printing money and giving it to people.

Although that's theoretically true, he really needs to carry a supermajority of votes on the governing council of the ECB.

The council is made up of six permanent members (Draghi, Constancio, Coeure, Mersch and Praet) and then 14 of the central bankers of the constituent countries. (Therefore four central bankers don't get the vote each time around.) The 'dovish'-ness or 'hawkish'-ness of the ECB varies then according to who's turn it is. And some central bankers get to attend more than others: so, the German, Spanish and French central bankers get to go to 10 out of 12 a year. Other central bankers get to go to 9 of 12.

The ECB hawks are Jens Weidmann, Klaas Knot, and Erkki Liikanen. Interestingly, there is no occasion in 2016 when more than one of them is not attending. Which makes 'helicopter money' a practical impossibility.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Amusing shenanigans in the Dáil, where they are going through the motions of pretending to vote for a new Taoiseach, despite everyone knowing that no-one will get enough votes today:

AAA-PBP's Bríd Smith seconds the nomination of [far left TD] Richard Boyd Barrett, saying he is a man of principle that has led many struggles on behalf of the ordinary people. Smith says they know Boyd Barrett will not be elected, but Enda Kenny has acknowledged that nobody will be elected today, so it is all about theatre, and the radical left has as much right to take part in the theatre as anyone else.

http://www.rte.ie/news/election-2016/2016/0310/773849-live-first-session-of-32nd-dail/
  • Options
    Charles said:

@rcs1000 re Fleet Street: I don't have as high an opinion on Goldman as you clearly do!

@cyclefree i'd far rather there was transparent charging for services provided and then we can get away from stuffing savers on the interest spread and people who do selling things on ancillary fees and penalties that are way divorced from the real cost of their transgression

I was thinking of number 37
  • Options
    watford30 said:

Alien vs Predator...

That sounds ghastly.

Surely the campaigns ought to get to decide who represents them themselves rather than have the BBC do it.
    Osborne in front of an audience of 12,500. What could possibly go wrong? (Other than booing, cat calls and urine filled plastic bottles flying towards the stage).
    and that will help the LEAVE campaign how exactly?
  • Options
    NorfolkTilIDieNorfolkTilIDie Posts: 1,268
    OllyT said:

Alien vs Predator...

That sounds ghastly.

Apart from Gove who would have a better claim to be speaking for the BREXITERS?

Delighted Alan Johnson is on the panel, the PB Tories will rubbish him but he has a lot of capital with centre left voters.
    Kate Hoey, David Owen, Norman Lamont, Michael Howard, Nigel Lawson. All former ministers. Farage and Galloway have never got above MEP and MP respectively. Carswell has more right to be there than Farage.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited March 2016
    How party support divides with ICM's latest EU poll:

Overall: Remain 40%, Leave 41%

Con: Remain 43%, Leave 41%
    Lab: Remain 53%, Leave 28%
    LD: Remain 64%, Leave 24%
    UKIP: Remain 1%, Leave 96%

http://www.icmunlimited.com/data/media/pdf/Voting_07thMar16.pdf
  • Options
    Surely the Beeb can't choose a panel for the debate until it knows which the official campaigns are going to be?
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693

Amusing shenanigans in the Dáil, where they are going through the motions of pretending to vote for a new Taoiseach, despite everyone knowing that no-one will get enough votes today:

AAA-PBP's Bríd Smith seconds the nomination of [far left TD] Richard Boyd Barrett, saying he is a man of principle that has led many struggles on behalf of the ordinary people. Smith says they know Boyd Barrett will not be elected, but Enda Kenny has acknowledged that nobody will be elected today, so it is all about theatre, and the radical left has as much right to take part in the theatre as anyone else.

http://www.rte.ie/news/election-2016/2016/0310/773849-live-first-session-of-32nd-dail/

Please. Richard Boyd Barratt would make a brilliant PM.

Go on, give him a go!
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    AndyJS said:

Are DKs broken out?

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,667
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

Wow, just read that Draghi didn't rule out helicopter money. Seems absolutely insane on the face of it. Surely we'd be looking at Germxit if the ECB started printing money and giving it to people.

Although that's theoretically true, he really needs to carry a supermajority of votes on the governing council of the ECB.

The council is made up of six permanent members (Draghi, Constancio, Coeure, Mersch and Praet) and then 14 of the central bankers of the constituent countries. (Therefore four central bankers don't get the vote each time around.) The 'dovish'-ness or 'hawkish'-ness of the ECB varies then according to who's turn it is. And some central bankers get to attend more than others: so, the German, Spanish and French central bankers get to go to 10 out of 12 a year. Other central bankers get to go to 9 of 12.

The ECB hawks are Jens Weidmann, Klaas Knot, and Erkki Liikanen. Interestingly, there is no occasion in 2016 when more than one of them is not attending. Which makes 'helicopter money' a practical impossibility.
    We said the same about QE after the LTRO and TLTRO fudges. I wouldn't rule anything out when it comes to the ECB.
  • Options

The House of Commons Library states that the European Court will not be bound by the renegotiation

Link
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

We said the same about QE after the LTRO and TLTRO fudges. I wouldn't rule anything out when it comes to the ECB.
    Wasn't TLTRO carried when neither the Bundesbank nor the Finnish Bank present?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,623
    "oh, I just joined to vote for Jeremy"

Don't look at me. I'm just a £3-er :)
  • Options
    People debating the panel, you should note this isn't official. This is the supposed leak of what the BBC are proposing. The article it comes from suggests that it is deliberate as they are trying to put people in awkward situations, as revenge for messing about with the GE debates.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    RodCrosby said:

O/T: Just a reminder that we have our first truly winner-take-all GOP contest today.

US Virgin Islands, all of 9 delegates...

Likely the Islands will require a name change if "Big Hands" does the business today.
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    AndyJS said:

Those figures contradict just about everything I read on here from Remainers.
  • Options
    OllyT said:

Alien vs Predator...

That sounds ghastly.

There is no official LEAVE group yet besides you cannot argue that those 4 have pretty much taken the lead for LEAVE. It's not the BBC's fault that it looks like an impending car crash.
    "Be LEAVE" is the only LEAVE group exclusively for PBers :)
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    AndyJS said:

Leave ahead by a wide margin with everyone over the age of 35. Remain winning with younger people.

The Tory churn since May is interesting as well, currently 43% R, 41% L. 2015 vote is 36% R, 45% L.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Those figures contradict just about everything I read on here from Remainers.
    Have to wonder about the 4% of UKIP voters who don't want to leave the EU....
  • Options
    JackW said:

RodCrosby said:

O/T: Just a reminder that we have our first truly winner-take-all GOP contest today.

Likely the Islands will require a name change if "Big Hands" does the business today.
    We'll still have the British Virgin Islands
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

OllyT said:

Alien vs Predator...

That sounds ghastly.

Delighted Alan Johnson is on the panel, the PB Tories will rubbish him but he has a lot of capital with centre left voters.
    Priti Patel, Andrea Leadsom, Gove and Boris would be my panel of choice.
    Isn't it indicate of LEAVE's problem that you guys are arguing about who represents you? I don't doubt an all Tory panel would be more unified but it isn't going to work like that. If I were a LEAVER my fear would be that Boris, Farage and Galloway end up contradicting each other because BREXIT means different things to each of them. On the other hand I expect that REMAIN team will put up a unified cross-party front
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Those numbers are people by current voting intention, rather than who they actually voted for in May 2015.

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,036
    edited March 2016
    The last GOP Virgin Islands caucus had 258 registered voters. That they get to choose 9 delegates is completely farcical. 28 voters per delegate.

The American Samoa caucus sounds like even more of a stitch up for the "chosen ones of the RNC" delegates and their friends/family:

The closed-door caucus, held at the Toa Bar & Grill restaurant...

Seventy registered Republicans attended the caucus. However, the vote distribution was not released to the media.

The 3 "supers" will inevitably go with the 6 regulars there. Just under 8 voters per 'delegate'.

So even though these territoris don't get to vote in the General, the voting power of an individual there (They'd all go Democrat clearly from turnout) on the GOP side is orders of magnitudes larger than anyone in the USA in determining the actual president.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

OllyT said:

Alien vs Predator...

That sounds ghastly.

REMAIN will walk this with anyone other that committed BREXITERS. That line up will get virtually every Labour, Lib Dem, Green Tory voter lined up in the REMAIN camp.
    I will always remain a leaver, but there must be someway the Galloway can be put somewhere and rot. Farage's invitation for Galloway to come to the podium ( a surprise it was called ) was stupid beyond words.

It is entirely down to Farage that Galloway is on the BBC panel
  • Options

JackW said:

RodCrosby said:

Not for long .... they've recently twinned with Essex.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    chestnut said:

Those numbers are people by current voting intention, rather than who they actually voted for in May 2015.

Yes, Leave is ahead with those who voted Conservative last year.
  • Options
    OllyT said:

MaxPB said:

OllyT said:

Alien vs Predator...

That sounds ghastly.

Isn't it indicate of LEAVE's problem that you guys are arguing about who represents you? I don't doubt an all Tory panel would be more unified but it isn't going to work like that. If I were a LEAVER my fear would be that Boris, Farage and Galloway end up contradicting each other because BREXIT means different things to each of them. On the other hand I expect that REMAIN team will put up a unified cross-party front

Lucas and Osborne putting up unified responses?

They have almost opposite reasons for wanting to remain in the EU.

• Options
    OllyT said:

MaxPB said:

OllyT said:

Alien vs Predator...

That sounds ghastly.

The polling figures below suggest you lot need to be worried. What was a foregone conclusion is going belly up.

More than 1/4 of Labour are for Leave btw, not what you told me the other day.

• Options
    MaxPB said:

AndyJS said:

Leave ahead by a wide margin with everyone over the age of 35. Remain winning with younger people.

The Tory churn since May is interesting as well, currently 43% R, 41% L. 2015 vote is 36% R, 45% L.
    And we all know who bothers to vote
  • Options
    Just been canvassed by the Cons for the all important Maidenhead Riverside by-election. They are putting in a lot of effort considering they have a council majority of 50 odd
  • Options

OllyT said:

Alien vs Predator...

That sounds ghastly.

The problem you are trying to gloss over is the fact that the 4 LEAVER panellists have diametrically opposed views at to what BREXIT means. If the question is asked as to whether immigration will be halted if we BREXIT it is quite likely that the 4 LEAVE panellists will end up fighting amongst themselves. This is the sort of event that is going to highlight LEAVES' problems.
  • Options
    JackW said:

JackW said:

RodCrosby said:

Not for long .... they've recently twinned with Essex.
    Useless factoid:

The American Virgin Islands were Danish until 1917, when the US bought them for $25 million.
  • Options
    OllyT said:

MaxPB said:

OllyT said:

Alien vs Predator...

That sounds ghastly.

If the Remain panel was Gerry Adams, Jess Philipps, Jeremy Corbyn and Natalie Bennett, you'd probably complain.
  • Options
    edited March 2016

MaxPB said:

AndyJS said:

And we all know who bothers to vote
    "Leave ahead by a wide margin with everyone over the age of 35. Remain winning with younger people."

I'll be 35 and 3 days on June 23rd :p
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,739

Just been canvassed by the Cons for the all important Maidenhead Riverside by-election. They are putting in a lot of effort considering they have a council majority of 50 odd

Might have something to do with this (previous Tory Councillor resigned)
    "“We were very surprised that Cllr Jenner chose to move to Australia causing this by-election only nine months after he was elected"
    http://www.maidenhead-advertiser.co.uk/News/Areas/Maidenhead/Maidenhead-Riverside-by-election-Meet-the-candidates-17022016.htm
  • Options
    Pennsylvania - Harper

Trump 36 .. Rubio 19 .. Cruz 16 .. Kasich 10

Clinton 57 .. Sanders 27

Clinton 45 .. Trump 40
    Clinton 48 .. Cruz 37
    Clinton 46 .. Rubio 40

Via RCP

• Options
    OllyT said:

OllyT said:

Alien vs Predator...

That sounds ghastly.

The problem you are trying to gloss over is the fact that the 4 LEAVER panellists have diametrically opposed views at to what BREXIT means. If the question is asked as to whether immigration will be halted if we BREXIT it is quite likely that the 4 LEAVE panellists will end up fighting amongst themselves. This is the sort of event that is going to highlight LEAVES' problems.
    Because the Beeb has deliberately picked the most extreme candidates. If it was Kate Hoey, Michael Gove, David Owen and Douglas Carswell then it wouldn't be an issue. Pretty sure David Cameron, Andrew Duff and Jeremy Corbyn have different visions of Remain.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,255
    Charles said:

I tend to agree but a very very difficult sell for banks at the moment. They have to regain the trust they've pissed away first. That will take some time.

Is the "honest and competent" bank looking for worthy and honest customers, perchance?

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

Wasn't TLTRO carried when neither the Bundesbank nor the Finnish Bank present?
    Wouldn't surprise me. They will do the same for helicopter money. Mario will look at the diaries of everyone else, call an emergency meeting, the doves will know in advance and they will vote it through. The fact that he didn't come out and say, no, there will be no helicopter money, there will be no moral hazard of giving out printed money to citizens is quite shocking to me. If Carney or Yellen were asked the same question I have no doubt they would pour cold water all over the idea of helicopter money.
  • Options

Might have something to do with this (previous Tory Councillor resigned)
    "“We were very surprised that Cllr Jenner chose to move to Australia causing this by-election only nine months after he was elected"
    http://www.maidenhead-advertiser.co.uk/News/Areas/Maidenhead/Maidenhead-Riverside-by-election-Meet-the-candidates-17022016.htm
    We also had a previous visit and 2 leaflets. Nothing from any other candidate. Should be a comfortable hold for the Cons.
  • Options

OllyT said:

MaxPB said:

OllyT said:

Alien vs Predator...

That sounds ghastly.

The polling figures below suggest you lot need to be worried. What was a foregone conclusion is going belly up.

More than 1/4 of Labour are for Leave btw, not what you told me the other day.

28% of Labour votes is not great for LEAVE and there is a long way to go yet. Whilst the Tories are fighting amongst themselves the other parties have scarcely begun campaigning yet - there are two and a half months to go.

I am still firmly of the opinion that REMAIN will win comfortably by the end of the day, if I am wrong I will enjoy the schadenfreude of watching the LEAVERS try to make good on the often contradictory promises they are making during the campaign.
  • Options
    JackW said:

Pennsylvania - Harper

Clinton 57 .. Sanders 27

Clinton 45 .. Trump 40
    Clinton 48 .. Cruz 37
    Clinton 46 .. Rubio 40

Via RCP

Pennsylvania seems to have 54 unbound delegates according to Rod's spreadsheet. The primary voters there seem completely disenfranchised in what is a key General state.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,031
    Actually been doing a spot of work, so only paying half-attention. What's this BBC panel business?
  • Options

OllyT said:

MaxPB said:

OllyT said:

Alien vs Predator...

That sounds ghastly.

Lucas and Osborne putting up unified responses?

They have almost opposite reasons for wanting to remain in the EU.

I accept that but neither are the loose cannons that Farage, Boris & Galloway are. I think there is a far greater probability that the outers will end up rowing with each other than the inners.
  • Options
    LondonBobLondonBob Posts: 467
    MaxPB said:

AndyJS said:

The irony being it is us under 35s most hit by the triple whammy of lower wages, poorer job prospects and higher housing costs that free movement of labour in the EU imposes.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    JackW said:

Pennsylvania - Harper

Clinton 57 .. Sanders 27

Clinton 45 .. Trump 40
    Clinton 48 .. Cruz 37
    Clinton 46 .. Rubio 40

Via RCP

It's been picked up in my spreadsheet for the DEMs.
    The fieldwork ended an astounding 8 days ago. How tardy are these polls ?!
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    edited March 2016

Ah feck! Will you not give it to Danny Healy-Rae now, so everyone can just get pissed and drive home?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhpS1adQQkg
  • Options
    edited March 2016

Actually been doing a spot of work, so only paying half-attention. What's this BBC panel business?

Somebody has leaked to Staines the opening offer by the BBC in what they think the big wembley debate should be like. Staines is suggesting they have done so, because they don't think the parties will accept, but want to be a pain in the ass after being shafted during the GE campaign.

• Options

OllyT said:

MaxPB said:

OllyT said:

Alien vs Predator...

That sounds ghastly.

If the Remain panel was Gerry Adams, Jess Philipps, Jeremy Corbyn and Natalie Bennett, you'd probably complain.

But nobody could seriously argue that they were the leaders of the REMAIN campaign whereas your guys are. Therein lies your problem.
  • Options
    Also re the BBC panels, why is the Greens MP selected over the party leader when UKIPs party leader is chosen over their MP?? Is it because BBC knows Lucas has broader appeal and Farage don't??
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Trinity Mirror to freeze New Day price as sales fall to 110,000

The New Day has seen its sales fall by about 25% since its first day of paid-for sales last Tuesday

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/mar/09/trinity-mirror-to-freeze-new-day-price-as-sales-fall-to-110000

Going well.....
  • Options
    LucyJonesLucyJones Posts: 651
    OllyT said:

OllyT said:

MaxPB said:

OllyT said:

Alien vs Predator...

That sounds ghastly.

But nobody could seriously argue that they were the leaders of the REMAIN campaign whereas your guys are. Therein lies your problem.
    No Stuart Rose on the panel? He's the official head of REMAIN, is he not?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,031
    Mr. Urquhart, cheers.

The media trying to dictate terms of the debate is as distasteful as it was when the broadcasters tried it in the preamble to the 2015 election.
  • Options
    OllyT said:

OllyT said:

MaxPB said:

OllyT said:

Alien vs Predator...

That sounds ghastly.

Galloway isn't a leader of the campaign.

You make things up all the time it seems
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    I see that Nicholas Soames is not exactly calm about the idea that anyone might have blabbed to the press about the Queen's views:

@jameskirkup · 5m5 minutes ago

James Kirkup Retweeted Nicholas Soames

NB Mr Soames insists his call for Gove beheading re Queen/Brexit is not linked to his friendship w/ Prince Charles.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

JackW said:

Pennsylvania - Harper

Clinton 57 .. Sanders 27

Clinton 45 .. Trump 40
    Clinton 48 .. Cruz 37
    Clinton 46 .. Rubio 40

Via RCP

Pennsylvania seems to have 54 unbound delegates according to Rod's spreadsheet. The primary voters there seem completely disenfranchised in what is a key General state.

It's been picked up in my spreadsheet for the DEMs.
    The fieldwork ended an astounding 8 days ago. How tardy are these polls ?!
    Just part of the weird world of primaries and US polling .... :smile:

• Options
    OllyT said:

OllyT said:

MaxPB said:

OllyT said:

Alien vs Predator...

That sounds ghastly.

No one would say Galloway is one of the leaders of Leave. Farage I understand, and could tolerate, but Galloway is a complete numpty and doesn't represent any element of Leave.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

I see that Nicholas Soames is not exactly calm about the idea that anyone might have blabbed to the press about the Queen's views:

NB Mr Soames insists his call for Gove beheading re Queen/Brexit is not linked to his friendship w/ Prince Charles.

Still, it puts Peter Bone's call for Paul Carney to consider his position into context.
  • Options
    edited March 2016

It would have the advantage of giving us a full-service Brexit Martyr.
  • Options
    edited March 2016

I thought Soames might have prefered as the method of Gove's execution that of the ancient form of squashing by the press .. with his own personage as the tool of death.
  • Options

OllyT said:

OllyT said:

MaxPB said:

OllyT said:

Alien vs Predator...

That sounds ghastly.

Who is ?

• Options

OllyT said:

OllyT said:

Alien vs Predator...

That sounds ghastly.

Because the Beeb has deliberately picked the most extreme candidates. If it was Kate Hoey, Michael Gove, David Owen and Douglas Carswell then it wouldn't be an issue. Pretty sure David Cameron, Andrew Duff and Jeremy Corbyn have different visions of Remain.
    Boris, Farage, Galloway & IDS are the "most extreme" LEAVE spokesmen? Really.

I would suggest most people would view Boris and Farage as LEAVE's leading lights. IDS or Gove is a toss up. I would give you Galloway except that it was Farage that elevated Galloway to the status of "very important LEAVE politician".
  • Options
    Two police officers who were first on the scene when a notorious criminal was killed have been disciplined for failing to spot he had been shot.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-essex-35775349
  • Options
    JackW said:

OllyT said:

OllyT said:

MaxPB said:

OllyT said:

Alien vs Predator...

That sounds ghastly.

Who is ?

No idea, don't think there is one. Anyway who cares, some of us don't need to be told what to think, I decided years ago we should leave, I'm pleasantly surprised at how things are developing
  • Options
    Florida - Tarrance/Wash Post/Univision

Trump 38 .. Rubio 31 .. Cruz 19 .. Kasich 4
  • Options
    LucyJones said:

OllyT said:

OllyT said:

MaxPB said:

OllyT said:

Alien vs Predator...

That sounds ghastly.

No Stuart Rose on the panel? He's the official head of REMAIN, is he not?
    The panel are all politicians, Rose isn't, quite logical. I'm quite happy with the choice of REMAIN panellists, its the LEAVERS who are again arguing like ferrets in a sack and seeing conspiracy theories everywhere
  • Options
    JonCisBackJonCisBack Posts: 911
    Charles said:

taffys said:

weejonnie said:

Can someone tell me what this means?

Breaking: European Central Bank cuts deposit rate to -0.4% and main refinancing rate to 0%. Expands QE to Eu80bn a month #negativeland

The deposit rate being negative means that if an organisation wants to store money by sending it to the ECB then instead of the ECB paying the organisation for the ability to use that money, the ECB charges the organisation for providing a safe haven.

Basically the ECB wants lots of money in the economy to stimulate demand as it has worked so well for the last 7 years.
    Its a huge problem for banks because they cannot pass these rates on to customers. No idiot is going to leave his money in a bank if he ends up with less than he started with.

Genuine question: really interested in the answer.

Why shouldn't banks charge for the services that they provide?
    Poor banks. Struggling to make a profit...

• Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    edited March 2016
  • Options

JackW said:

OllyT said:

OllyT said:

MaxPB said:

OllyT said:

Alien vs Predator...

That sounds ghastly.

Who is ?

No idea, don't think there is one. Anyway who cares, some of us don't need to be told what to think, I decided years ago we should leave, I'm pleasantly surprised at how things are developing
    Some care that luminaries such as Galloway are lapping up the cream of the publicity of Project Titter.

• Options

OllyT said:

OllyT said:

MaxPB said:

OllyT said:

Alien vs Predator...

That sounds ghastly.

Farage very publicly elevated Galloway to a major role in the LEAVE campaign. Surely you can't have missed the cries of anguish and despair from your side when he did so. No use blaming me for Farage's ineptitude.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

OllyT said:

OllyT said:

MaxPB said:

OllyT said:

Alien vs Predator...

That sounds ghastly.

No one would say Galloway is one of the leaders of Leave. Farage I understand, and could tolerate, but Galloway is a complete numpty and doesn't represent any element of Leave.

Then why was he unveiled as such a boost to LEAVE by Farage. Blame him for setting him up to be on the panel.
  • Options
    @rcs1000 re #37 obviously. Do you need an introduction?
  • Options
    OllyT said:

MaxPB said:

OllyT said:

OllyT said:

MaxPB said:

OllyT said:

Alien vs Predator...

That sounds ghastly.

Then why was he unveiled as such a boost to LEAVE by Farage. Blame him for setting him up to be on the panel.
    Because Farage is a numpty as well.
  • Options
    William_HWilliam_H Posts: 346
    Some labour person like maybe Kate Hoey would make more sense than Galloway. Otherwise the selection seems sensible enough. You can't leave Farage out, and given the likely make up of Leave voters more than two Tories isn't really warranted
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380

AndyJS said:

Are DKs broken out?

Yes. 20ish% for all parties except UKIP, for which it's only 6%. But I'd guess that quite a few of the DKs will be don't votes.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578

OllyT said:

OllyT said:

Alien vs Predator...

That sounds ghastly.

I'm reliably informed that Kate Hoey recently participated in a debate with Remain representatives at a meeting of members of her CLP. At the end a vote was taken and the result was unanimous for Remain. Leave got zero votes.

If she can't persuade even one member of her constituency party......
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Charles said:

I tend to agree but a very very difficult sell for banks at the moment. They have to regain the trust they've pissed away first. That will take some time.

Is the "honest and competent" bank looking for worthy and honest customers, perchance?

The honest and competent bank always likes to meet interesting, worthy and honest people. Alignment of values and cultural fit in the most important factor in whether they want to develop a relationship thereafter.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Charles said:

The honest and competent bank always likes to meet interesting, worthy and honest people. Alignment of values and cultural fit in the most important factor in whether they want to develop a relationship thereafter.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Charles said:

• Options
    OllyT said:

OllyT said:

OllyT said:

MaxPB said:

OllyT said:

Alien vs Predator...

That sounds ghastly.

Farage very publicly elevated Galloway to a major role in the LEAVE campaign. Surely you can't have missed the cries of anguish and despair from your side when he did so. No use blaming me for Farage's ineptitude.
    To be fair I'm not blaming you for anything, just pointing out that continually making things up makes you look desperate.

I can't abide Galloway but I'm keen to hear why he wants to leave. Aren't you?
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    William_H said:

Some labour person like maybe Kate Hoey would make more sense than Galloway. Otherwise the selection seems sensible enough. You can't leave Farage out, and given the likely make up of Leave voters more than two Tories isn't really warranted

Someone like Kate Hoey would make much more sense. There seems to be some mischief making in excluding LabourLeave, as if Labour are unanimously behind Remain. It's just not true.
  • Options
    JackW said:

Florida - Tarrance/Wash Post/Univision

Trump 38 .. Rubio 31 .. Cruz 19 .. Kasich 4

State polls are rarely consistent across pollsters but this year they do seem to be all over the place. I guess that, on the GOP side in particular, there is a lot of switching going on. The Trump vote is often reasonably close it's the others that are jumping about all over the place.

Any thoughts on why the Michigan polling on the Democrat side was so off beam?. I have read a number of explanations but none I find particularly convincing.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    edited March 2016
    Pulpstar said:

JackW said:

Pennsylvania - Harper

Clinton 57 .. Sanders 27

Clinton 45 .. Trump 40
    Clinton 48 .. Cruz 37
    Clinton 46 .. Rubio 40

Via RCP

It's actually the oldest type of primary, dating right back to 1912, although I think PA is the only state that retains it. The presidential preference poll is meant to be "advisory" on the delegates, who are elected separately.

When the Democrats abolished explicit WTA primaries in the 1970s, these types lingered on in a few places, allowing the delegates to in fact vote with unanimity if they wished, earning the soubriquet "loophole primary".

Now only the Keystone State GOP uses it.
  • Options
    Does the "honest and competent bank" send out three communications to make their point .... :smile:
  • Options

To be fair I'm not blaming you for anything, just pointing out that continually making things up makes you look desperate.

I can't abide Galloway but I'm keen to hear why he wants to leave. Aren't you?

No I'm not. If I'd wanted to hear what such a meaningless bigoted, unpatriotic, racist hatemonger wanted to say I'd turn up to listen to him.

To exclude every mainstream Labour Leave person altogether and include some nobody with a giant ego like this is just ludicrous.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

OllyT said:

MaxPB said:

OllyT said:

OllyT said:

MaxPB said:

OllyT said:

Alien vs Predator...

That sounds ghastly.

Because Farage is a numpty as well.
    I quite agree but the sensible-wing of LEAVE aren't just going to be able to lock the Kippers etc in a cupboard till June!
  • Options
    OllyT said:

I quite agree but the sensible-wing of LEAVE aren't just going to be able to lock the Kippers etc in a cupboard till June!

Farage at least is leader of a real party that has an MP (even if he doesn't agree with Farage) and millions of voters. Galloway's so-called party didn't even register ten thousand votes at the election.
  • Options
    Charles said:

taffys said:

weejonnie said:

Can someone tell me what this means?

Breaking: European Central Bank cuts deposit rate to -0.4% and main refinancing rate to 0%. Expands QE to Eu80bn a month #negativeland

The deposit rate being negative means that if an organisation wants to store money by sending it to the ECB then instead of the ECB paying the organisation for the ability to use that money, the ECB charges the organisation for providing a safe haven.

Basically the ECB wants lots of money in the economy to stimulate demand as it has worked so well for the last 7 years.
    Its a huge problem for banks because they cannot pass these rates on to customers. No idiot is going to leave his money in a bank if he ends up with less than he started with.

Genuine question: really interested in the answer.

Why shouldn't banks charge for the services that they provide?
    Some do. It's a free market, they can charge what they like.

Whether customers will go with the ones that are charging is another matter. Business bank accounts do very nicely for Barclays, can tell you that for nothing.
  • Options
    Cameron: I will stand as an MP in 2020
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,681

William_H said:

Someone like Kate Hoey would make much more sense. There seems to be some mischief making in excluding LabourLeave, as if Labour are unanimously behind Remain. It's just not true.
    Yes I agree - it appears to be aimed at making the only left wing leavers out to be from the loony fringes and beyond. I'm not condoning the choice, but I will say it could backfire. The point about the public watching a whole debate (as opposed to absorbing soundbites and media memes through osmosis) is it's a very level playing field. On the day the most convincing debater with the strongest argument wins. Most people who know of Gorgeous George think he's a nutbag, but that won't really help his opponents in this debate much if he puts his point across really well, just as it didn't help Clegg against Farage.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,311

Cameron: I will stand as an MP in 2020

He really does want to be Ted Heath.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    @OllyT The sole Minnesota poll was also way way way out. Notably it was an old one from January.

Ohio should shed light on the rust belt. If there's another polling failure for Hillary there, it spells trouble in the General in my view.

I'm completely unconvinced by 538's assessment that HRC has a 98% chance there.
This discussion has been closed.