Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The blue on blue fight is making the EURef seem like an all

Comments

• Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800

So much for ensuring they remain politically neutral on the issue of Brexit...If you are for it, you get the heave ho, if you are against it, well carry on old chap..

http://order-order.com/2016/03/07/remain-supporting-bcc-chief-keeps-job/

The BCC really have blown their own feet off with this. If they had just said nothing other than ...is entitled to their personal opinion, but as an organisation we try to stay neutral, lets call it the BBC Tw@tter policy on neutrality, it would have all blown over by now.

Why am I not surprised....
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,336
    edited March 2016
    More than 150 killed in US drone strike on al-Shabab target in Somalia, US officials say

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-35748986

Hit a "wedding" again?
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341

Labour seem to be completely and utterly irrelevant and anonymous regarding the whole EUref debate.

Indeed.

If they were to judge it on it's own merits rather than as proxy opposition to the Tories, they would likely conclude that it facilitates many of the things they complain loudest about most of the time.

A Labour vote for remain is a vote for low wages, a free market in healthcare, international tax shuffling, German style 'austerity' etc.

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,624

More than 150 killed in US drone strike on al-Shabab target in Somalia, US officials say

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-35748986

Hit a "wedding" again?

Only the Russians hit civilians, right?
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    Charles said:

Just had a very amusing conversation with my man in France.

The French are spitting with how Cameron f**ked up the negotiations. They wanted him to propose something sensible that worked for everyone - on immigration, on benefits and everything else. They would have then ganged up on Germany and delivered it.

But Cameron went for the "I'm alright, Jack, approach" and tried to wing the whole thing. Result - in their view - is there is a real chance that Brexit may happen. (But he confirmed that they will make a big and generous offer to Scotland)

Will they offer a eurozone bailout to scortland ?
    Will anyone stay alive after a eurozone bailout in scotland to tell the tale?
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    Who is Peyton? What sex is Peyton?

Danny565 said:

Off topic, two of the biggest names in world sport (Peyton Manning and Maria Sharapova) are retiring on the same day.

Is Peyton Manning a big name in world sport?

• Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838
    Charles said:

The French are spitting with how Cameron f**ked up the negotiations. They wanted him to propose something sensible that worked for everyone - on immigration, on benefits and everything else. They would have then ganged up on Germany and delivered it.

But Cameron went for the "I'm alright, Jack, approach" and tried to wing the whole thing. Result - in their view - is there is a real chance that Brexit may happen. (But he confirmed that they will make a big and generous offer to Scotland)

Did he say what he had in mind as a solution on immigration and benefits that worked for everyone. It sounds good!
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    edited March 2016
    Speedy said:

New Michigan poll again finds the post debate Trump collapse:

Monmouth Michigan:

Before the debate:

Trump 39
    Cruz 22
    Kasich 17
    Rubio 14

About the same as the other pre-debate polls.

After the debate:

Trump 32
    Kasich 26
    Cruz 25
    Rubio 12

About the same as the post debate ARG poll.

http://www.monmouth.edu/assets/0/32212254770/32212254991/32212254992/32212254994/32212254995/30064771087/23a456ac-d673-4189-9742-1f060ec2d926.pdf

I mean, they threw the kitchen sink at the guy. He still leads (albeit narrowly)

Can we talk about Rubio 12%!!

Under threshold.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Wanderer said:

Charles said:

Did he say what he had in mind as a solution on immigration and benefits that worked for everyone. It sounds good!
    I expect it sounded very good... to the French.
  • Options

Danny565 said:

Off topic, two of the biggest names in world sport (Peyton Manning and Maria Sharapova) are retiring on the same day.

Bloke wot plays for Denver Broncos (American Football Rugby):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peyton_Manning
  • Options
    Ahh, thanks

Danny565 said:

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,044

Speedy said:

Monmouth Michigan:

Before the debate:

Trump 39
    Cruz 22
    Kasich 17
    Rubio 14

After the debate:

Trump 32
    Kasich 26
    Cruz 25
    Rubio 12

http://www.monmouth.edu/assets/0/32212254770/32212254991/32212254992/32212254994/32212254995/30064771087/23a456ac-d673-4189-9742-1f060ec2d926.pdf

I mean, they threw the kitchen sink at the guy. He still leads (albeit narrowly)

Under threshold.
    Pretty amazing seeing as it borders Minnesota.

The whole "Should I back Cruz or Kasich" as the Anti-Trump here probably wins Trump it though.
  • Options
    Anyone know if Peyton Manning is a Republican?
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

So much for ensuring they remain politically neutral on the issue of Brexit...If you are for it, you get the heave ho, if you are against it, well carry on old chap..

The BCC really have blown their own feet off with this. If they had just said nothing other than ...is entitled to their personal opinion, but as an organisation we try to stay neutral, lets call it the BBC Tw@tter policy on neutrality, it would have all blown over by now.

No, they really haven't blown off any feet with this. Only the most obsessive Leavers cannot understand the problem with the director-general of the organisation expressing a view in an official speech, in his capacity as director-general, when the organisation had a formal position that they were neutral.

What's more, the obsession by the Leavers with nonsense such as this is incredibly counter-productive. Every day spent whingeing about how unfair life is, is one less day to try to actually persuade people that the advantages of Brexit outweigh the risks. The only foot-shooting has been in the Leave camp.
    If the outers are whining again then it's another day won by IN
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    edited March 2016
    I have seen it - and can confirm its magnificence. All the more magnificent for having a Long-tailed Shrike in the gardens. The very bird I had been trying to see a few days earlier, when the vessel I was in had a gearbox malfunction. In the Middle of the Minch. With a force 6 making us all as green as our waterproofs, it resulted in a full-on air sea rescue - helicopter, lifeboat, diverted bulk carrier to give us some shelter in their lee, the works. (Those aboard were particular exasperated, as another 800 yards west and the lifeboat would have towed us to South Uist where the bird was. Instead....)
  • Options

No, they really haven't blown off any feet with this. Only the most obsessive Leavers cannot understand the problem with the director-general of the organisation expressing a view in an official speech, in his capacity as director-general, when the organisation had a formal position that they were neutral.

What's more, the obsession by the Leavers with nonsense such as this is incredibly counter-productive. Every day spent whingeing about how unfair life is, is one less day to try to actually persuade people that the advantages of Brexit outweigh the risks. The only foot-shooting has been in the Leave camp.
    Believe in BRITAIN!

Be LEAVE!
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,926

OllyT said:

Sorry to worry Remainers - who seem to dominate the Thread-leaders - but I reckon many Labour voters will be asking which side Cameron-Osborne are for, and will vote the opposite. Simples.

Wishful think I'm afraid. The dislike of UKIP and Farage is far far greater in my experience. I was a member till Corbyn arrived and I literally do not know one person who intends to vote LEAVE. Granted there is not much enthusiasm for the EU but by June 23rd I expect Labour voters will vote at least 70-30 for Remain and probably nearer 80-20 if I were putting money on it.
    Out of interest where do you live and what is your job?

If you don't know a single person voting Leave I'd suggest you inhabit a very narrow world.
    Given=---[=-=-=-=-]-=-=-------------=/

OllyT said:

Sorry to worry Remainers - who seem to dominate the Thread-leaders - but I reckon many Labour voters will be asking which side Cameron-Osborne are for, and will vote the opposite. Simples.

Wishful think I'm afraid. The dislike of UKIP and Farage is far far greater in my experience. I was a member till Corbyn arrived and I literally do not know one person who intends to vote LEAVE. Granted there is not much enthusiasm for the EU but by June 23rd I expect Labour voters will vote at least 70-30 for Remain and probably nearer 80-20 if I were putting money on it.

If you don't know a single person voting Leave I'd suggest you inhabit a very narrow world.
    I live in the North West and I'm retired. You think You have no idea about me but believe I inhabit a very narrow world because it suits your political agenda. On the other hand you seem to believe you are speaking on behalf of the WWC. I have news for you, you're not, you are speaking for a minority of the WWC that vote UKIP.

• Options
    flightpath01flightpath01 Posts: 4,903

Nah. The will see the side that Farage and IDS are on and vote the opposite.
    You're confusing Islington labour with the WWC. I'm not sure if that's deliberate or that you never come into contact with the WWC.
    Suburban Leicester is not Islington! Farage has consistently failed to get elected wherever he has stood. He is unpopular everywhere.

The WWC is much more varied in its opinions, and also more knowledgeable and nuanced than PB kippers assume.

Suburban Leicester may not be Islington but its not a council estate either. I would suggest you are the least qualified to speak on behalf of the WWC than anybody on this site. You speak of them with disdain.
    On the contrary the Saffron Estate, and New Parks are some of the biggest council estates in the East Midlands, and form much of suburban Leicester. I never speak badly of the WWC, indeed I think them far more knowledgeable and subtle in their political opinions than you give them credit for!
    I give them far more credit than you because I am WWC, millions of people have voted UKIP in recent years - who do you think these people are?

I've news for you, not everybody earns 6 figures a year and has a gold plated pension, go and patronise somebody who doesn't think you're a pompous arse.
    What a dogbreath of an ignoramous you are. I come from a long line of pit workers and have a modest pension. For what that is worth.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Every day spent whingeing about how unfair life is, is one less day to try to actually persuade people that the advantages of Brexit outweigh the risks.

Well, quite.

@JananGanesh: There is no sign that Leavers have had 41 years to prepare for this referendum. My column in tomorrow's FT https://t.co/w8PdFK9wm1
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492

This bloke has no more influence than the bloke in the pub, BCC are totally irrelevant. No idea why or if he was pressured.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    edited March 2016
    SPIN have put up a Brexit vote share market

Currently 54% IN
  • Options

Ahh, thanks

Danny565 said:

You're welcome!

Alternatively, Peyton is the next tube stop from Peytonstone on the Central line :lol:
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:
    This is the sort of war isis is waging. They are appalled at the thought of places like Tunisia entering the modern world.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    edited March 2016

Speedy said:

Monmouth Michigan:

Before the debate:

Trump 39
    Cruz 22
    Kasich 17
    Rubio 14

After the debate:

Trump 32
    Kasich 26
    Cruz 25
    Rubio 12

Under threshold.
    Don't forget Trump always underperforms the opinion polls by 5 points.
    So Michigan could be very close, Trump could pull a Louisiana and have the postal votes to save him, but even if he wins on postal votes that would be his last hurrah.

The further in time after the Fox debate you go, the smaller the share of the postal vote sent before the debate.

Anyway tomorrow night we will see if Trump has any hopes in Florida and Ohio.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Pong said:

BTW, if the same optimistic chap who just bet £226 on Jessie Ventura 4 POTUS @ 999/1 is by some remote chance lurking on PB - well, just to let you know there's now another £20 available.

;)

I don't think you answered the other day.

But you are betting 2000p (£20) and will make a profit of 2p if you are right.

How is that worth the time and risk of getting it wrong?
  • Options
    OllyT said:

OllyT said:

OllyT said:

I live in the North West and I'm retired. You think You have no idea about me but believe I inhabit a very narrow world because it suits your political agenda. On the other hand you seem to believe you are speaking on behalf of the WWC. I have news for you, you're not, you are speaking for a minority of the WWC that vote UKIP.

I'm not speaking for anybody, just pointing out I'm WWC. The majority of ukip voters are WWC, not the other way round.

I know plenty of people that vote for all sorts of political parties and will vote In and Out. I play golf regularly with a lily livered liberal, he's a lovely man, always pays up. If you don't know anybody voting Out, roughly 50% of the population, you need to pull the curtains from time to time.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    Scott_P said:

Every day spent whingeing about how unfair life is, is one less day to try to actually persuade people that the advantages of Brexit outweigh the risks.

Well, quite.

@JananGanesh: There is no sign that Leavers have had 41 years to prepare for this referendum. My column in tomorrow's FT https://t.co/w8PdFK9wm1
    67.23% voted for the EEC in 1975.

Now? Barely 50%...

The UK has not integrated in Europe. Our direction of travel is clear. We are becoming more and more unimpressed with Europe over time. How did it all go so terribly wrong, do you think, Remainers?
  • Options
    Charles said:

Pong said:

BTW, if the same optimistic chap who just bet £226 on Jessie Ventura 4 POTUS @ 999/1 is by some remote chance lurking on PB - well, just to let you know there's now another £20 available.

;)

What's the phrase? Picking up pennies in front of the bulldozer?
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Well, quite.

Now? Barely 50%...

The UK has not integrated in Europe. Our direction of travel is clear. We are becoming more and more unimpressed with Europe over time. How did it all go so terribly wrong, do you think, Remainers?
    When Jemini got "nul points" at Eurovision 2003?
  • Options

The key elements of that draft statement, seen by Reuters are:

Turkey to readmit all “irregular”migrants crossing into Greek islands from Turkey;
    For every Syrian readmitted by Turkey from the Greek islands, one Syrian refugee will be resettled from Turkey to the EU member states;
    The EU will completely evacuate refugees from the Greek islands, readmitting only those who crossed into the islands after a date to be determined;
    The EU will accelerate the lifting of visa requirements for Turkish citizens in the Schengen zone, so that this takes place, at the latest, by the end of June 2016;
    The EU and Turkey will cooperate in any joint endeavours to establish humanitarian safe areas inside Syria;
    The EU will provide Turkey with an extra 3bn Euros (on top of the 3bn Euros already made available) to help Turkey deal with Syrian refugees through to the end of 2018.

According to Reuters, the statement also makes reference to steps in the process of negotiating Turkish accession to the European Union.

Sounds like the EU is bending over to taking a right pounding like a dock-side you know what from Turkey.

Could be a boost for leave.

so basically every migrant who makes it over is returned and replaced on a 1-for-1 basis by a migrant from Turkey. Hmmh.
  • Options

Nah. The will see the side that Farage and IDS are on and vote the opposite.
    You're confusing Islington labour with the WWC. I'm not sure if that's deliberate or that you never come into contact with the WWC.
    Suburban Leicester is not Islington! Farage has consistently failed to get elected wherever he has stood. He is unpopular everywhere.

The WWC is much more varied in its opinions, and also more knowledgeable and nuanced than PB kippers assume.

Suburban Leicester may not be Islington but its not a council estate either. I would suggest you are the least qualified to speak on behalf of the WWC than anybody on this site. You speak of them with disdain.
    On the contrary the Saffron Estate, and New Parks are some of the biggest council estates in the East Midlands, and form much of suburban Leicester. I never speak badly of the WWC, indeed I think them far more knowledgeable and subtle in their political opinions than you give them credit for!
    I give them far more credit than you because I am WWC, millions of people have voted UKIP in recent years - who do you think these people are?

I've news for you, not everybody earns 6 figures a year and has a gold plated pension, go and patronise somebody who doesn't think you're a pompous arse.
    What a dogbreath of an ignoramous you are. I come from a long line of pit workers and have a modest pension. For what that is worth.
    Well its worth nothing actually. The relevance of pit workers and pensions to your constant stream of abuse is puzzling. You're a very disappointed old man, no need to shout at everybody.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Turkey to readmit all “irregular”migrants crossing into Greek islands from Turkey;
    For every Syrian readmitted by Turkey from the Greek islands, one Syrian refugee will be resettled from Turkey to the EU member states;
    The EU will completely evacuate refugees from the Greek islands, readmitting only those who crossed into the islands after a date to be determined;
    The EU will accelerate the lifting of visa requirements for Turkish citizens in the Schengen zone, so that this takes place, at the latest, by the end of June 2016;
    The EU and Turkey will cooperate in any joint endeavours to establish humanitarian safe areas inside Syria;
    The EU will provide Turkey with an extra 3bn Euros (on top of the 3bn Euros already made available) to help Turkey deal with Syrian refugees through to the end of 2018.

According to Reuters, the statement also makes reference to steps in the process of negotiating Turkish accession to the European Union.

Sounds like the EU is bending over to taking a right pounding like a dock-side you know what from Turkey.

so basically every migrant who makes it over is returned and replaced on a 1-for-1 basis by a migrant from Turkey. Hmmh.
    "Irregular" the new term for "illegal"?
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737

RodCrosby said:

Owen Jones: "Is a Queen Victoria statue offensive? It’s about time we debated our colonial past." - More importantly, Is there a safe space we can lock up this numpty in?

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/mar/07/students-queen-victoria-statue-cecil-rhodes-colonial-past

Comments are a hoot - natch.

Does anyone know if this comment beneath the article is true?
    jimstinks
    3h ago
    143 144
    There is a statue of Queen Vic in Liverpool where it appears, if you look from the correct angle, that she has a penis.

Victoria's Secret as it's known.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/andy_sunley/4642336698
    Ah, and big hands as well by the looks of it. :flushed:
    Pevsner calls it the most ambitious monument to the Queen. It's an impressive ensemble of 26 figures. I like the Oliver Lodge one best - he did great works with radio and x-rays just up the road at the Uni in the 1890s.
    http://www.speel.me.uk/sculptplaces/lpoolqv.htm
    http://www.victorianweb.org/sculpture/allen/3.html

The whole area around it was flattened during WW2 - just about the only thing left standing was the monument.
    Now this is a Queen Vic monument:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victoria_Memorial_(India)
    https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Victoria_Memorial_Kolkata_panorama.jpg
    Nice building, but does it actually have a statue of the Empress?
    Liverpool has two.
    http://www.speel.me.uk/sculptplaces/lpoolstgeorgesteps.htm
  • Options
    Charles said:

Pong said:

;)

You lay all the candidates at various points, and build up a "Green" on the field of in the £226 layers case of £226,000. Now you might think this is useless, after all all the runners are in there but hey ho, you then ask for Jesse Ventura to be added as a runner. The name sounds exciting and he was in politics... he was also involved in wrestling, and perhaps he'd like a shot at Trump who was also involved in WWE once.

You then Lay Jesse Ventura and you are making £0 if Jesse Ventura becoming president. The true odds of Jesse Ventura becoming president are a hell of alot longer than 1000-1.

Whoever has backed Jesse Ventura at 1000-1 has a terrible bet.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,926

OllyT said:

OllyT said:

OllyT said:

I'm not speaking for anybody, just pointing out I'm WWC. The majority of ukip voters are WWC, not the other way round.

I know plenty of people that vote for all sorts of political parties and will vote In and Out. I play golf regularly with a lily livered liberal, he's a lovely man, always pays up. If you don't know anybody voting Out, roughly 50% of the population, you need to pull the curtains from time to time.
    I was clearly talking about Labour supporters (not everyone I know), and I reiterate I do not know a single Labour supporter who plans to vote LEAVE. You can disbelieve me as long as you like.
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

Charles said:

He didn't, but I got the impression it involved Germany paying more ;)
  • Options

Charles said:

Pong said:

;)

Picking pennies in front of the bulldozer would be laying out Jeb Bush at 410.0 tbh.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

Owen Jones: "Is a Queen Victoria statue offensive? It’s about time we debated our colonial past." - More importantly, Is there a safe space we can lock up this numpty in?

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/mar/07/students-queen-victoria-statue-cecil-rhodes-colonial-past

jimstinks
    3h ago
    143 144
    There is a statue of Queen Vic in Liverpool where it appears, if you look from the correct angle, that she has a penis.

Pevsner calls it the most ambitious monument to the Queen. It's an impressive ensemble of 26 figures. I like the Oliver Lodge one best - he did great works with radio and x-rays just up the road at the Uni in the 1890s.

The whole area around it was flattened during WW2 - just about the only thing left standing was the monument.

Liverpool has two.
    I actually travelled through the Mersey Rail Tunnel a few weeks back when I "did" Merseyrail from Chester to James Street, as well as Lime Street to James Street clockwise (after my first trip to Liverpool Lime Street in November, when I walked to the Waterfront and returned on Merseyrail from James Street to Lime Street). Platform 2 at James Street is rather "interesting" :)
  • Options

Charles said:

Pong said:

;)

Steam roller, I think
  • Options
    Charles said:

I guess the attraction, for the EU and Greek side, is that it takes away the incentive to make the "irregular" journey. If people stop doing that then there are no replacements after the initial swap.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

jimstinks
    3h ago
    143 144

Liverpool has two.
    Oops, in answer to your question, yes:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Statue_of_Queen_Victoria_in_front_of_Victoria_Memorial_Hall,_Calcutta.jpg
  • Options
    Betting post:

Trump probably wins Michigan However:

@Thewhiterabbit has already taken advantage of Hills now pulled market, but there is enough doubt in the polling to make him a lay at 1.12 in my view:

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/#/politics/market/1.123432103

I've risked £10 to win £79.13.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699

OllyT said:

OllyT said:

OllyT said:

No one from the WWC plays golf regularly , Rugby League perhaps but not golf .
  • Options
    LondonBobLondonBob Posts: 467

Pulpstar said:
    This is the sort of war isis is waging. They are appalled at the thought of places like Tunisia entering the modern world.
    Thank God for the Russians. At least one European country is run properly.

I noticed the Syrian Arab Army are on the outskirts of Palmyra now with the elite Tiger Forces now redeployed there. Recently Russian military transport traffic through the Bosporus has markedly increased. A lot of new trucks, tanks and artillery are coming to Syria. This is likely the build up for a major campaign that will liberate Raqqa as well as retake Idlib and Aleppo from our Al Qaeda 'friends'.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,278
    Given the Tories won the last election it will not be Labour votes which decide the referendum anyway but Remain winning enough Tory voters. The latest EU referendum poll had the Tories split down the middle, 2015 Tory voters narrowly back Leave while present Tory voters narrowly back Remain
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    x

OllyT said:

OllyT said:

OllyT said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHH7krBwc0Q
  • Options

RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

jimstinks
    3h ago
    143 144

Liverpool has two.
    I actually travelled through the Mersey Rail Tunnel a few weeks back when I "did" Merseyrail from Chester to James Street, as well as Lime Street to James Street clockwise (after my first trip to Liverpool Lime Street in November, when I walked to the Waterfront and returned on Merseyrail from James Street to Lime Street). Platform 2 at James Street is rather "interesting" :)
    The Mersey Rail Tunnel has the largest gradient of any passenger line in the country, 1 in 27, I believe, and as you know James Street and Hamilton Square in Birkenhead were the world's first deep-level underground stations, far deeper than anything in London, and the first accessed by lifts.
  • Options
    John_NJohn_N Posts: 389
    edited March 2016
    You've got it right, Donald. Most people in the country align with a bundle of attitudes marked 'socialist' or a bundle marked 'conservative'; politicos are a poor sample. Most conservatives in this sense are for Leaving. And they will get off their armchairs and they will swarm to the polling stations. Xenophobia is a key motivator. This is their big day. They feel they've been ignored for years.

Does anyone recall how the 'army vote' in the indyref was strongly pro-Union? I'm talking about families with a member in the army now or who'd had someone in the army at some time during the past 40 years. The social scene. Royal British Legion and so on. Much of the Boys' Brigade. Help for Heroes. Did anyone see a YES sticker next to a Help For Heroes one? Because I didn't.

Well, whaddayaknow, the army vote this time is for Leave. I don't think there have been any "scientific" (*cough*) polls of that demographic. Pollsters are too busy norming for rubbish data such as how people voted in the general election, or factoring in how people would assess their own likelihood of voting. But down where the cool kids hang out, everyone knows that to find out the mood in the army you go to a site called ARRSE.

Here are the best figures I could find:

Remain 8.3%
    Leave 75.8%
    Tending towards leave 10.1%
    Tending towards remain 1.5%
    Not eligible/don't know/don't care/haven't decided 4.3%

And, sorting that data out:

clearly stated view:...............................Leave 90%, Remain 10%
    clearly stated view or leaning:..............Leave 90%, Remain 10%
  • Options
    Golly what piffle. My father in law would disagree, he plays on council owned course.

OllyT said:

OllyT said:

OllyT said:

• Options
    pbr2013pbr2013 Posts: 649

Usual EU regard to practicalities. €6 bn and counting!
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Well said Mr Blackburn63,you have pointed out some facts the political snobs of the remain side can't see - well done.
  • Options
    Trump now 1.12 / 1.16 in Michigan !
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

Charles said:

I guess the attraction, for the EU and Greek side, is that it takes away the incentive to make the "irregular" journey. If people stop doing that then there are no replacements after the initial swap.
    True - that's the only upside I can see (although though I did note that clause 2 relates to Syrians, not "irregular migrants")

But no visa requirements for Turks post June 2016 + €6bn in funding
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited March 2016
    Charles said:

Pong said:

;)

I'm *risking* £20k to win £20 - except I'm not actually taking any risk.

Basically, I'm judging he has <0.1% chance of becoming POTUS and there's 0% capital cost to me.

If you lay candidate A, then his odds go out before candidate B's odds shoot in - then lay candidate B before his odds go out & candidate C's odds shoot in - then Lay C etc etc, you end up with a large theoretical trading profit on candidates who you haven't laid.

If someone wants to back candidate Z at 999/1, I can lay him up to the total amount laid on candidates A, B & C

I have no capital cost - I'm just deciding *not* to bet on Jessie ventura 4 potus
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    RobD said:

john_zims said:

@SimonStClare

Owen Jones: "Is a Queen Victoria statue offensive? It’s about time we debated our colonial past." - More importantly, Is there a safe space we can lock up this numpty in? '

Just ignore the prat.

Let's tear them all down, and replace them with a suitably modern strong female leader. Suggestions on a postcard please :)
    Caroline Lucas?
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    edited March 2016
    NMark Senior..Every single Electrician I employed on my last film shoot played golf every weekend..that would be about ten of them....as did a fair number of the Prop..Scene hands..plus crew members..every one of them is WWC
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    HYUFD said:

Given the Tories won the last election it will not be Labour votes which decide the referendum anyway but Remain winning enough Tory voters. The latest EU referendum poll had the Tories split down the middle, 2015 Tory voters narrowly back Leave while present Tory voters narrowly back Remain

If Remain relies only on Tories it'll be very difficult; if they can get the 70% pro-Remain Labour vote to turn out, it'll be less difficult. I don't think it's being partisan to say that - just that if there's a pool of millions of voters who are mostly on your side in a close race, it may be decisive whether you can get them to vote.
  • Options
    edited March 2016

That's one way of looking at it, but haven't they been whining for 20 years? I think they will go whine whine whine, swarm, swarm, swarm. They feel aggrieved, and it's obvious what they can do about it. It's not like in a general election, when few of them would seriously want Nige at No.10.

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,029
    John_N said:

That's one way of looking at it, but haven't they been whining for 20 years? I think they will go whine whine whine, swarm, swarm, swarm.

Thank god you didn't say the H word.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

jimstinks
    3h ago

Liverpool has two.
    The Mersey Rail Tunnel has the largest gradient of any passenger line in the country, 1 in 27, I believe, and as you know James Street and Hamilton Square in Birkenhead were the world's first deep-level underground stations, far deeper than anything in London, and the first accessed by lifts.
    I think 1in 28 is present at Bow Road on London's District line, as well as at the entrance to Ealing Common Depot, just outside Acton Town station.

The Ecclesbourne Valley Railway reckon their self-contained Wirksworth to Ravenstor branch is 1 in 27.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ecclesbourne_Valley_Railway
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

jimstinks
    3h ago
    143 144

Liverpool has two.
    Ahem. Regina Imperetrix.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,336
    edited March 2016

NMark Senior..Every single Electrician I employed on my last film shoot played golf every weekend..that would be about ten of them....as did a fair number of the Prop..Scene hands..plus crew members..every one of them is WWC

Middle class don't play golf, they all go to the footy these days, because WWC certainly can't afford the ticket prices at Arsenal, Chelsea, Man Utd. You can't beat a bit of stereotyping... ;-)

In all seriousness, golf's popularity is way way down...

Golf's In A Hole – Can It Ever Recover?

http://www.esquire.co.uk/culture/news/a8414/the-decline-of-golf/
  • Options
    pbr2013 said:

RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

jimstinks
    3h ago
    143 144

Liverpool has two.
    Ahem. Regina Imperetrix.
    Lime Street has statues of Ken Dodd and Bessie Braddock, MP :)
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    edited March 2016
    @MarkSenior

' No one from the WWC plays golf regularly , Rugby League perhaps but not golf .

Still stuck in the 1950's, you need to get out.
  • Options

OllyT said:

Haha! Circa 62k registered RL players in UK, c4m golfers. You think up North is like a Lowry painting don't you? Crazy.
  • Options

I did not know that all those Farage loving UKIP voting golf club bar males ( who think women should be barred from membership ) were WWC not retired army officers .
  • Options

OllyT said:

OllyT said:

OllyT said:

Thanks for this, I've had a rubbish day and this has cheered me up no end!
  • Options
    I think someone is having a senior moment
  • Options
    pbr2013 said:

Granted there is not much enthusiasm for the EU but by June 23rd I expect Labour voters will vote at least 70-30 for Remain and probably nearer 80-20 if I were putting money on it.

I'd be happy to put money that the ratio will be nearer 70-30 than 80-20, i.e. that more than 25% of those who consider themselves to be "Labour voters" will vote Leave.

You are probably right about Labour members, though.
    pbr2013 said:

No one from the WWC plays golf regularly

Except in Scotland!

• Options

RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

jimstinks
    3h ago

Liverpool has two.
    I think 1in 28 is present at Bow Road on London's District line, as well as at the entrance to Ealing Common Depot, just outside Acton Town station.

The Ecclesbourne Valley Railway reckon their self-contained Wirksworth to Ravenstor branch is 1 in 27.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ecclesbourne_Valley_Railway
    The section between Moorfields and Sandhills in Liverpool is also 1 in 27.
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    We can always rely on Mark to give us a laugh
  • Options

HYUFD said:

If Remain relies only on Tories it'll be very difficult; if they can get the 70% pro-Remain Labour vote to turn out, it'll be less difficult. I don't think it's being partisan to say that - just that if there's a pool of millions of voters who are mostly on your side in a close race, it may be decisive whether you can get them to vote.
    Clearly Remain will need Labour voters, LD voters, Green and SNP voters but they cannot rely on those voters alone as combined they are less than the present total of Tory plus UKIP voters. To win Remain has to get about 45% of Tory voters to win even a narrow victory
  • Options
    We need to play a man's game after a 'ard day down t'pit. None of your posh nancy boy middle class games like yer fancy Southern golf what wi' its racism and t'xenophobia. Nay lad, it's down to watch Cas sock it to em for us and then some grand pints ah bitter. At least we ave summat in common.
  • Options

I did not know that all those Farage loving UKIP voting golf club bar males ( who think women should be barred from membership ) were WWC not retired army officers .
    The absurdity of PB grows ever bigger.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

RobD said:

john_zims said:

@SimonStClare

Owen Jones: "Is a Queen Victoria statue offensive? It’s about time we debated our colonial past." - More importantly, Is there a safe space we can lock up this numpty in? '

Just ignore the prat.

Let's tear them all down, and replace them with a suitably modern strong female leader. Suggestions on a postcard please :)
    Caroline Lucas?
    Golda Meir?
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Scott_P said:

Well, quite.

Now? Barely 50%...

I would wait for the ballots to be counted before making that claim.
  • Options
    :smiley:
    pbr2013 said:

We need to play a man's game after a 'ard day down t'pit. None of your posh nancy boy middle class games like yer fancy Southern golf what wi' its racism and t'xenophobia. Nay lad, it's down to watch Cas sock it to em for us and then some grand pints ah bitter. At least we ave summat in common.

• Options
    isam said:

That was me and a blockquote edit failure. Priceless. 'Happen I ave to go off to feed t'whippets now.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

john_zims said:

@SimonStClare

Just ignore the prat.

Caroline Lucas?
    Golda Meir?
    Merkel, the destroyer of nations...
  • Options
    isam said:

I am just taking the p1ss , like shooting sitting ducks with some on here I know .
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

I couldn't tell if he was being serious or not. Not every golf course is an exclusive country club.
  • Options
    pbr2013 said:

isam said:

That was me and a blockquote edit failure. Priceless. 'Happen I ave to go off to feed t'whippets now.
    Don't forget the pigeons , they will need their strength for Saturday's race .
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013
    OllyT said:

As I said upthread, it will depend on the types of Labour voters. Greater London, core cities, Scotland, Meryside, they'll vote massively for Remain. Hull, Blackburn, Sandwell, South Yorkshire (outside Sheffield), South Tyneside, it'll be rather different..
  • Options

isam said:

I am just taking the p1ss , like shooting sitting ducks with some on here I know .
    Ah ok good one
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    RodCrosby said:
    That's a really old poll, I expect cruz will win comfortably.
  • Options
    Pong said:

RodCrosby said:
    Although primaries are better for Trump, I agree.
  • Options

isam said:

I don't believe you have ever committed an offence of humour on here before m'lad.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,934
    I'm off to Rugby League
  • Options

Pong said:

RodCrosby said:
    It's PR-ish (20% threshold) anyhow.

I think that poll, whatever the actual outcome, puts Trump over the 1237 line for the first time in my model. Just waiting for Huffpost to make it into a CSV file...
  • Options

Despite the thread headline its the leavers who are the reservoir dogs standing in a circle holding guns on each other.
    I'm sure Farage would like to cut Carswell's ear off but I cannot make out who is lying in an ever growing pool of blood. Possibly Boris.
  • Options
    Hmm, the plot thickens, if Boris was right then it is a disgrace. The more stories that emerge like this we are entitled to wonder what they are hiding:

http://news.sky.com/story/1654658/no-10-presses-business-groups-says-longworth
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,821
    RodCrosby said:

Pong said:

RodCrosby said:
    It's PR-ish (20% threshold) anyhow.

I think that poll, whatever the actual outcome, puts Trump over the 1237 line for the first time in my model. Just waiting for Huffpost to make it into a CSV file...
    How do you assess his %chances of the nomination now?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,033
    Good evening, everyone.

Real men morris dance, of course.
  • Options

I'm off to Rugby League

Which match >
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Thatcher was a European, no doubt. The irony is that it was her who so wanted the East Europeans in to balance the German-French axis.

The same East Europeans are creating for her party a little local difficulty.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

john_zims said:

@SimonStClare

Just ignore the prat.

Caroline Lucas?
    Golda Meir?
    Merkel, the destroyer of nations...
    If they are protesting Queen Victoria then Golda Meir would not even get on the plinth
  • Options
    Merkel, what have you done.
    Just what have you done.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    john_zims said:

@MarkSenior

' No one from the WWC plays golf regularly , Rugby League perhaps but not golf .

Still stuck in the 1950's, you need to get out.

That's why they complain that East Europeans are taking their jobs. Thank God, the East Europeans are here. I had to pay a plumber £105 at 11pm for 10 minutes work ! He wanted paid by credit card before he would even come.

He is maybe playing golf now with a lot of time in hand.
  • Options

New Thread New Thread

This discussion has been closed.