Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Cyclefree’s analysis of the Remain campaign

SystemSystem Posts: 11,689
edited March 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Cyclefree’s analysis of the Remain campaign

While there has rightly been analysis of an often incoherent Leave campaign, perhaps some scrutiny is needed of some common Remain tropes – those focusing on why we should stay rather than why we should not Leave – and what they might mean for the referendum result and the UK’s longer term relationship with its European neighbours.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Excellent contribution Miss CycleFree, hope to see more from you as it was a real pleasure to publish this piece
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,609
    Great piece! Well worth the read.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,215

Excellent contribution Miss CycleFree, hope to see more from you as it was a real pleasure to publish this piece

Thank you so much!

PS just saw Mr Llama's contribution on the previous thread. Lunch and diamonds are indeed a girl's best friend! :)

• Options
    Cyclefree said:

Thank you so much!

PS just saw Mr Llama's contribution on the previous thread. Lunch and diamonds are indeed a girl's best friend! :)

Well I can offer the first.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Cheers CycleFree. – An excellent synopsis and congrats on your first (?) PB contribution.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,029
    Inevitably if it is Remain the UK will form part of the non-Eurozone outer tier with Sweden, Denmark, Hungary and Poland
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,302
    Thank you Cyclefree.

One question- how do you think other Europeans see the British position? Do they simply not get why we are not interested in following a model based on the Napoleonic code as modified by the Prussians?

As an aside, it has always rather irked me that the 'British values' we are legally obliged to teach in schools are quoted straight from the Droits de l'homme. The irony that they were restated on Gove's personal order is delicious.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    Many thanks for this. You are entirely correct.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,010
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

Indigo said:

tlg86 said:

I maintain that if immigration carries on at the current levels until the next election then the Tories will have a big problem.

The only reason I can think of why it won't will be a huge financial crisis, in which case they will also have big problems.

EU immigration is largely a consequence of the fact that unemployment rates are lower in the UK than in most of the EU, and that wages are higher.

There is therefore a natural economic balancing effect: as people flow out of (say) Poland and towards the UK, they raise the cost of living in the UK, and lower it in Poland; and they have the opposite effect on wages.

Falling rent and living costs make Eastern Europe a more attractive place to be than it used to be. This was seen first in the former East Germany and Berlin, which has become one of the hottest places for start ups, and is now being seen in Krakow in Poland.

It's also worth remembering that certain crisis hit Eurozone countries - such as Ireland and Spain - saw big flows of migrants to the UK in 2012-2014. As those economies were the fastest growing in Europe last year (6+% and 3+% GDP growth rates), they will start seeing migrant flows reverse.
    Well that and our very generous in working benefits system.

Honestly the easiest way to stop benefits cheats would be to raise the minimum wage to Swiss levels, axe all in-work benefits, eliminate employers NI and make unemployment benefits payable on a wholly contributory basis. The flow of dodgy migrants who come here to register as "self-employed" and then claim thousands in benefits would completely stop and those who come here to work wouldn't be deterred.

It just needs real hard-headed thinking at the DSS and for the PM to be tough with our own long term unemployed who treat benefits and tax credits as a way of life instead of something to utilise in times of need.

In a low inflation economy it could probably be achieved if it was phased in over 4 or 5 years.
    I agree with all of that.
  • Options
    LondonBobLondonBob Posts: 467
    tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

Maine and Puerto Rico today !

Rubio will go odds on if he wins Puerto Rico.
    If Puerto Rico gets a say I don't see why we shouldn't as well.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930
    edited March 2016
    maxpb said:

make unemployment benefits payable on a wholly contributory basis.

rcs1000 said:

Won't happen with George Osborne as chancellor. He drops any sort of hard headed much needed reform at the first whiff of gunpowder - the sight of someone getting vaguely upset on Question Time, or one or two strongly worded letters in the Telegraph.

He is the wimpy chancellor.

• Options
    LondonBob said:

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

Puerto Rico is effectively part of the U.S. The real scandal is that it isn't a state with the same rights as the other 50.

We are of course indirectly ruled by the U.S. but that's a different problem.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Thank you Cyclefree.

One question- how do you think other Europeans see the British position? Do they simply not get why we are not interested in following a model based on the Napoleonic code as modified by the Prussians?

As an aside, it has always rather irked me that the 'British values' we are legally obliged to teach in schools are quoted straight from the Droits de l'homme. The irony that they were restated on Gove's personal order is delicious.

It is difficult, well impossible, to generalise for all Europeans so I can only go by what my Italian family say, really. The older generation i.e. those who lived through or were brought up in the aftermath of WW2 say Britain as some sort of moral beacon, largely because it did not succumb to the furies which enveloped the Continent. But they also saw her as stand-offish and unwilling to continue the engagement with Europe and did not really understand why. The younger generation share that but have less belief in Britain's moral authority simply because WW2 was all so long ago and more recent wars have shaped Britain's image.

But I think one reason is that while they are taught English they do not really know very much about English history and law and culture (beyond the obvious - Shakespeare, Dickens say) nor about English political history and theory and philosophy. The pragmatic, muddled approach to life - which is an English characteristic - is not something they instinctively understand or have much innate sympathy for.

And Britain has itself not engaged intelligently with Europe for the last half-century so that has led to irritation.

This really could be another thread!

• Options

Cyclefree said:

Thank you so much!

Well I can offer the first.
    You're on!
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

maxpb said:

rcs1000 said:

Won't happen with George Osborne as chancellor. He drops any sort of hard headed much needed reform at the first whiff of gunpowder - the sight of someone getting vaguely upset on Question Time, or one or two strongly worded letters in the Telegraph.

Unfortunately he is a political chancellor who seems to have lost his way in the last 12 months. Post the 23rd June he should go to Foreign Secretary and Gove to Chancellor
  • Options
    TimTim Posts: 44
    Excellent post
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    I think there is a sixth incoherent pro-EU argument - the EU has stopped wars in Europe, so we have to be in. Exactly which countries we'd attack the day we left or how our leaving would cause Hungary to fall on Romania or vice versa is never explained...
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

Thank you Cyclefree.

It is difficult, well impossible, to generalise for all Europeans so I can only go by what my Italian family say, really. The older generation i.e. those who lived through or were brought up in the aftermath of WW2 say Britain as some sort of moral beacon, largely because it did not succumb to the furies which enveloped the Continent. But they also saw her as stand-offish and unwilling to continue the engagement with Europe and did not really understand why. The younger generation share that but have less belief in Britain's moral authority simply because WW2 was all so long ago and more recent wars have shaped Britain's image.

But I think one reason is that while they are taught English they do not really know very much about English history and law and culture (beyond the obvious - Shakespeare, Dickens say) nor about English political history and theory and philosophy. The pragmatic, muddled approach to life - which is an English characteristic - is not something they instinctively understand or have much innate sympathy for.

And Britain has itself not engaged intelligently with Europe for the last half-century so that has led to irritation.

It would be a worthwhile one. Thank you again.

Sad that we cannot understand each other better. Maybe I should go teach abroad to do my bit. Might turn them all into rabidly anti-British fanatics though :smiley:
  • Options
    Interesting piece.
    Thank you CF
  • Options
    flightpath01flightpath01 Posts: 4,903
    6. Where do we leave to? To leave and still maintain access to the single market requires a 'EEA NAFTA Norway' solution which makes no effective difference to us and we still follow EU regulations. The leave argument is split between this and 'glorious isolation' which is just a trojan horse for anti foreigner nutjob rightwingery.

• Options
    NorfolkTilIDieNorfolkTilIDie Posts: 1,268
    Sean T, every time the Leave side are asked whether they would go EEA or just a FTA, they should say "well to make that decision we would need to know the accurate numbers on immigration, and those numbers are being blocked by the Prime Minister. He should release them immediately so public can make fully informed decision."
  • Options
    edited March 2016

Pulpstar said:

maxpb said:

rcs1000 said:

Unfortunately he is a political chancellor who seems to have lost his way in the last 12 months. Post the 23rd June he should go to Foreign Secretary and Gove to Chancellor
    He got too cute with his budgets for his own good I think.
  • Options
    Is the guy on right of phot walking with rest of group or is he just someone standing there as they walk past, and happens to have matching tee shirt??
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,045
    Thanks, Ms Free.

For me, the first point is why I'll probably be voting leave. My view is that the Leave campaign is incoherent, messy, and paranoid, and does not deserve to win. (I will add that the Remain campaign is better, but not by much, and has different flaws).

However, the EU is heading in a direction that the UK does not seem to head in, and it seems to have no desire to accommodate us (or, I believe in the medium-long term, the other non-Eurozone states). And perhaps they are right not to: they've probably got a different set of objectives.

But that leaves our relationship with the EU in a difficult state. The Eurozone states will need further integration to fix their problems, and we do not seem to want to be part of that integration. Therefore something will have to give.

Rather than have another referendum in a few years, if it needs doing, then 'twere well
    It were done quickly.

That's why I'll probably vote Leave. It's a shame that the Leave campaigners have spent so long convincing themselves that Cameron wouldn't give them a referendum, that they're so poorly positioned when he did.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

Indigo said:

tlg86 said:

I maintain that if immigration carries on at the current levels until the next election then the Tories will have a big problem.

The only reason I can think of why it won't will be a huge financial crisis, in which case they will also have big problems.

EU immigration is largely a consequence of the fact that unemployment rates are lower in the UK than in most of the EU, and that wages are higher.

There is therefore a natural economic balancing effect: as people flow out of (say) Poland and towards the UK, they raise the cost of living in the UK, and lower it in Poland; and they have the opposite effect on wages.

Falling rent and living costs make Eastern Europe a more attractive place to be than it used to be. This was seen first in the former East Germany and Berlin, which has become one of the hottest places for start ups, and is now being seen in Krakow in Poland.

It's also worth remembering that certain crisis hit Eurozone countries - such as Ireland and Spain - saw big flows of migrants to the UK in 2012-2014. As those economies were the fastest growing in Europe last year (6+% and 3+% GDP growth rates), they will start seeing migrant flows reverse.

Honestly the easiest way to stop benefits cheats would be to raise the minimum wage to Swiss levels, axe all in-work benefits, eliminate employers NI and make unemployment benefits payable on a wholly contributory basis. The flow of dodgy migrants who come here to register as "self-employed" and then claim thousands in benefits would completely stop and those who come here to work wouldn't be deterred.

It just needs real hard-headed thinking at the DSS and for the PM to be tough with our own long term unemployed who treat benefits and tax credits as a way of life instead of something to utilise in times of need.

In a low inflation economy it could probably be achieved if it was phased in over 4 or 5 years.
    I would certainly like a more contributory benefits system but there should be a basic minimum paid on a non-contributory basis
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

Indigo said:

tlg86 said:

Except it would be unfair on school leavers who have to go hungry or homeless because they don't have a job immediately.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Well done CycleFree on an excellent spoof critique of the Remain campaign themes . We need you to do a similar thread on Boris's bumbling attempt to argue for Leave on Marr this morning .
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    Remain is what we know - we may like or loathe it, but we know it.

Leave is what we don't know - even those campaigning for it don't agree on what it is.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,609
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

Indigo said:

tlg86 said:

I would certainly like a more contributory benefits system but there should be a basic minimum paid on a non-contributory basis
    No there shouldn't. People need to think about hard times, it is all too easy in this country to piss away one's wages and then when stuff goes wrong rely on the state for a bail out. We need to force people into a culture of saving money for hard times and ensuring they have paid into the system before they can draw from it. Having any non-contributory element sends entirely the wrong signal.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

Thank you Cyclefree.

60% of Europeans wanted the UK to stay in the EU, only 30% opposed in a recent poll. Italy was the 7th highest nation of those wanting the UK to stay
    http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/645386/David-Cameron-EU-renegotiation-Lord-Ashcroft-poll-Brexit
  • Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800
    "Laziness is much more widespread than courage"

Perfect analogy from a superb post.
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    Excellent article by Cyclefree, and the follow up post on 'how others see us' is good too.

Some years ago I had to look after a group of young visiting European students (Italian, Spanish, Austrian) at Cambridge. I remember vividly them being baffled and bewildered at the resistance they encountered among the students (and staff) they came across.

For them the idea of the EU as a process leading to a United States of Europe was a given. They simply couldn't understand why the British they talked to were unenthusiastic about it or why they wouldn't accept that political union was what the EU was about.

• Options
    Fishing said:

I think there is a sixth incoherent pro-EU argument - the EU has stopped wars in Europe, so we have to be in. Exactly which countries we'd attack the day we left or how our leaving would cause Hungary to fall on Romania or vice versa is never explained...

Yes - it is the fact that countries are liberal democracies which makes them unlikely to fight each other not the fact that they are in a supranational organisation. It sometimes seem to me that the EU is the wrong answer to the right question.

• Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,467
    These are some of the more high minded arguments!

The more scurrilous (and more effective) ones are that our economy will collapse (by leaving an arrangement we pay for), our security will be put in jeopardy (by leaving an organisation with open borders), and we'll have migrant jungles (by leaving an organisation that has invited the world in to its borders). It's doublespeak at it's finest, but you don't get points for truth.
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    I'll have another go at that

Excellent article by Cyclefree, and the follow up post on 'how others see us' is good too.

Some years ago I had to look after a group of young visiting European students (Italian, Spanish, Austrian) at Cambridge. I remember vividly them being baffled and bewildered at the resistance they encountered among the students (and staff) they came across to the idea of European political union.

For them the idea of the EU as a process leading to a United States of Europe was a given. They simply couldn't understand why the British they talked to were unenthusiastic about it or why they wouldn't accept that political union was what the EU was about.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

Indigo said:

tlg86 said:

(6+% and 3+% GDP growth rates), they will start seeing migrant flows reverse.

No there shouldn't. People need to think about hard times, it is all too easy in this country to piss away one's wages and then when stuff goes wrong rely on the state for a bail out. We need to force people into a culture of saving money for hard times and ensuring they have paid into the system before they can draw from it. Having any non-contributory element sends entirely the wrong signal.
    What if people haven't had the chance to save yet, because the previous generation crashed the economy and you graduate during a financial crisis??
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Well done. Much more coherent than Boris this morning though I agree with so little of it It would be difficult to know where to start other than to say that with your attitude it's difficult to imagine any cooperation with partners that you would see as a worthwhile venture and not one where a bunch of miscreants are trying to rip us off
  • Options

Sean T, every time the Leave side are asked whether they would go EEA or just a FTA, they should say "well to make that decision we would need to know the accurate numbers on immigration, and those numbers are being blocked by the Prime Minister. He should release them immediately so public can make fully informed decision."

Thats rubbish. Leavers know that the EEA and EFTA take us out of the EU political side (but into the EFTA jurisdiction) and they know it means continuance of free movement.
    This is what a trade agreement with the EU means. But Leave have no argument other than a scare based on refugees from the Syrian Civil War.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    ydoethur said:

LondonBob said:

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

Puerto Rico is effectively part of the U.S. The real scandal is that it isn't a state with the same rights as the other 50.

We are of course indirectly ruled by the U.S. but that's a different problem.
    Puerto Rico's status is of their own choice at this stage. Until the current financial crisis, it suited them well to be both in and out of the US.
  • Options
    @MTimT Who did you go for in the end ?
  • Options
    Roger said:

Well done. Much more coherent than Boris this morning though I agree with so little of it It would be difficult to know where to start other than to say that with your attitude it's difficult to imagine any cooperation with partners that you would see as a worthwhile venture and not one where a bunch of miscreants are trying to rip us off

Well agree the characterisation of the Remain argument does not stack up.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

Indigo said:

tlg86 said:

It's also worth remembering that certain crisis hit Eurozone countries - such as Ireland and Spain - saw big flo

Honestly the e

I am sorry but not everyone can get a job or lose their job because of redundancy and cannot find another for some time etc, rather than force them into destitution, homelessness and reliance on charity to survive any civilised country should provide a basic minimum as Churchill said 'there should be no limits on how far you can rise but a limit to how far you can fall'. Nothing in that stops those who have contributed more into the system getting more out in benefits, indeed Germany, Finland, France etc even China all have contributory and non-contributory benefits, that is a far more effective system.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,403
    Excellent demolition, CycleFree. Bravo!
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Sanders 70% in Maine I reckon. Just a finger in the air guess from twitter ! (And the demographics)
  • Options
    Roger said:

Cooperation to what end? What's wrong with just being a good neighbour? I don't want the UK to rule over any other countries; I don't want any other countries to rule over us.
  • Options
    Roger said:

On the contrary: my heart is European, my family are European, my nationality is dual, my mother tongue is not English, my upbringing was European and I can see in my own immediate and wider family what European co-operation means. And I have knowledge (even from my own family) - being partly Jewish by descent - of what non-co-operation (to put it mildly) can lead to.

I think that co-operation between states is a very good thing. I'm all in favour of it. I don't think that co-operation necessarily involves or should involve political and economic integration forced on people from above according to some centrally devised plan.

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,333
    Interesting, thanks @Cyclefree, great article.

I disagree on several points.

1. A cursory reading of any EU treaty will show that the European project is one of greater economic and political integration and the aim is to move ahead at warp speed. Any opt-out we have achieved is not a sign of reform, but is instead an exception, granted through gritted teeth to a troublesome UK.

It is to Dave's discredit that he uses the term "reformed EU". If he used the term "a reformed relationship between the UK and the EU" he would be more accurate although he might lose some waverers. To say that we can't reform the EU, therefore, is slightly tilting at windmills.

2. As you and I have discussed at length, the issue is whether we think we will have more influence at the table, QMV and all, in trying to amend and adapt EU rules and regulations in our favour, or whether somehow (no one has explained how) we would have more influence if we had no input at all.

When the EU-wide rules about selling widgets are drafted, your argument seems to imply that we are better off having no input into those rules and that we should make our own rules. But of course our widget-makers would have to comply with those EU rules if we wanted to sell widgets into the EU. It makes no sense.

3. The EU is a supranational political entity and we would certainly take a long hard look at it if we wanted to join today. However, at its heart is the single market and we would also have to ask if the greater good is achieved by efficient access to the single market as an existing member, or whether we would be better off by starting from scratch in our negotiations for access (or accept 2nd class access with EEA/EFTA).

4. I agree, Dave oversold it. But, again as has been done to death (but we seem to be doing Brexit to death, so hey) - he has codified our "no ECU" status in EU law, he has safeguarded our financial services from eurozone discrimination, and he has got us an opt-out from the single rulebook. These issues are critical.

He also got some fluff on competitiveness and some frankly ridiculous concessions on benefits for non-resident dependents. But it is the first three of these points that really are key. It's a shame he didn't try to sell that.

5. I haven't heard that argument (but of course haven't heard every remain argument). A bit of hyperbole in a political campaign...who'd have thought it...?

• Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited March 2016
    A very good article, as one would expect from Ms Cyclefree. But (you knew there was a 'but' coming..), I think she has set up some straw men.

1. I don't think anyone claims that there has been a big reform of the EU itself. But we have got major opt-outs and the big change in the renegotiation was a formal acknowledgement by our EU friends that we are not heading for the same destination as they are. Yes, the EU will continue to centralise (we want it to, for that matter, so that the Eurozone can work better), but increasingly without us.

2 is just wrong. We actually have a lot of influence in the EU; that's why, for example, it is so strong on disallowing state aid. The Leavers have convinced themselves otherwise, but no-one ever explains why they reach this conclusion except to quote some meaningless statistics about how often we lose votes - statistics which 'show' that Germany has little influence either. If you believe that, you'll believe anything! Instead, you should look at the work of Simon Hix, who has looked at this issue in great detail and with academic rigour:

http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/europpblog/2015/11/16/uk-influence-in-europe-series-is-the-uk-at-the-top-table-in-eu-negotiations/

3 is easy to explain. We might well have preferred an EEA-style deal, or to have had a Singapore-like position relative to our big neighbour. It's certainly possible to imagine a better arrangement for the UK in relation to the EU if we had never joined. But we start from where we are: moving to an EEA-style deal, for example, may not be worth the cost, and other scenarios are no longer practical because both the UK and the EU have developed together - for example, in our very tightly integrated car industry.

4 I won't reopen - we've discussed it often enough.

5 Yes, I agree is pretty much nonsense, although to be fair it's in response to an element in some (but not all, or even most) of the Leave campaign which does seem to see anything which happens in Europe (not even in the EU) as bad.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

Indigo said:

tlg86 said:

(6+% and 3+% GDP growth rates), they will start seeing migrant flows reverse.

What if people haven't had the chance to save yet, because the previous generation crashed the economy and you graduate during a financial crisis??
    Down to the food bank and soup kitchen I suppose if we go down the MaxPB route
  • Options
    Roger said:

Trying?
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966

Roger said:

Well agree the characterisation of the Remain argument does not stack up.
    FlightBot don't you have something a little less banal to add ? EFTA Norway drone, freedom of movement yawn, Glorified Isolation wibble, no effective difference, snooze, nutjob rightwingery. ZZZzzzzz
  • Options

Thats rubbish. Leavers know that the EEA and EFTA take us out of the EU political side (but into the EFTA jurisdiction) and they know it means continuance of free movement.
    This is what a trade agreement with the EU means. But Leave have no argument other than a scare based on refugees from the Syrian Civil War.
    Do you think we should allow the EU to trade freely with us? After all there is much more coming this way than going the other way.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Cyclefree said:

Yes - it is the fact that countries are liberal democracies which makes them unlikely to fight each other not the fact that they are in a supranational organisation.

That is true, but many people would claim, and with good reason, that the EU has helped countries such as Spain, Roumania, and Greece make progress towards becoming, to a greater or lesser extent, liberal democracies.

It's irrelevant to the question of whether the UK should remain in the EU, however.
  • Options
    I was thinking the other day that the 'Leave' argument is like having a bad mobile phone contract. You've been ripped off for years, but you've sort of ignored it and not done anything about it. You finally get up the gumption to phone the foreign call centre to argue for an upgrade to get you to renew your contract, and they tell you in no uncertain terms to bugger off. There's really only one thing to do isn't there? You might get a better contract elsewhere, but you could just go pay as you go for a while, or permanently. The alternative is to stay and continue to get the piss taken out of you.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

4. I agree, Dave oversold it. But, again as has been done to death (but we seem to be doing Brexit to death, so hey) - he has codified our "no ECU" status in EU law, he has safeguarded our financial services from eurozone discrimination, and he has got us an opt-out from the single rulebook. These issues are critical.

You are flatly incorrect here. Not only are our banks included in single rulebook now, but the French got it expanded to non-credit financial institutions. And they made sure the language on "different" provisions of single rulebook enactment was removed.

http://mobile.english.rfi.fr/europe/20160220-no-special-dispensation-britain-cameron-brexit-deal-hollande
  • Options
    EU opposition to state aid was pushed by Germany.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

2. As you and I have discussed at length, the issue is whether we think we will have more influence at the table, QMV and all, in trying to amend and adapt EU rules and regulations in our favour, or whether somehow (no one has explained how) we would have more influence if we had no input at all.

When the EU-wide rules about selling widgets are drafted, your argument seems to imply that we are better off having no input into those rules and that we should make our own rules. But of course our widget-makers would have to comply with those EU rules if we wanted to sell widgets into the EU. It makes no sense.

I disagree.

In the IN case we would have a very small influence (1/28th if we are generous) over the regulations that are made over 100% of our market for goods.

In the OUT case we would have less influence still, but still not zero, over the regulations of the 21% of our exports that go to the EU, and 100% say over the regulations applying to the other 79%

(Obviously in non-EU markets, non-EU regulations may apply, but at the moment they apply IN ADDITION to the EU regulations)
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    TOPPING said:

Interesting, thanks @Cyclefree, great article.

I disagree on several points.

3. The EU is a supranational political entity and we would certainly take a long hard look at it if we wanted to join today. However, at its heart is the single market and we would also have to ask if the greater good is achieved by efficient access to the single market as an existing member, or whether we would be better off by starting from scratch in our negotiations for access (or accept 2nd class access with EEA/EFTA).

[Snipped]

Your points 2 and 3 are reasons why it might - despite reservations - make sense to vote Remain. But I wasn't really setting out what someone (including me) should decide. I was just trying to analyse some of the underlying assumptions/arguments in the Remain arguments.

We may well have little or no influence outside. (I would only say that influence is a function of many factors and not simply membership.) But to pretend - as some Remainers do (politicians mainly) - that by being a minority of one in a large organisation we have or will have any sort of meaningful influence is, frankly, deluded. I think that this is a case of people letting their hopes determine their analysis of the facts, a case of people saying that because - as a significant contributor, large country, broadly successful economy, etc etc - we ought to have influence, therefore we do have it.

I think the opposite is true. We punch under our weight in the EU.

The real issue for me is whether we would punch at or above our weight outside, even accepting that there will be costs, probably some quite significant costs, to us of our departure.

• Options
    edited March 2016
    No idea how accurate this poll is, but if that's the case it's a very good result for Cruz:

Puerto Rico Primary ‏@PuertoRicoPoll 3h3 hours ago

@realDonaldTrump Morning Puerto Rico @GOP Primary Poll is in The results 36% #Rubio 34% #Cruz 21% #Trump 6% #Kasich 3% Other Trump needs 20%

Marco was touted to approach 50% here.

50% gains him all 23 delegates, otherwise it'll be more or less a wash.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,333

TOPPING said:

You are flatly incorrect here. Not only are our banks included in single rulebook now, but the French got it expanded to non-credit financial institutions. And they made sure the language on "different" provisions of single rulebook enactment was removed.

http://mobile.english.rfi.fr/europe/20160220-no-special-dispensation-britain-cameron-brexit-deal-hollande
    We have an opt out of SSM/SRM. We adhere to CRD-IV as it is the implementation mechanism of Basel III.

Did you not read what you linked to?? There is a mutual non-discrimination clause between eurozone and non-eurozone members. That is to prevent, as @Charles rightly points to, the ECB trying to repatriate EUR business to the eurozone.

So I am flatly correct.
  • Options
    Squeaky Bum time for Trump with 20% threshold looks like.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Why do you think that?
  • Options

A very good article, as one would expect from Ms Cyclefree. But (you knew there was a 'but' coming..), I think she has set up some straw men.

1. I don't think anyone claims that there has been a big reform of the EU itself. But we have got major opt-outs and the big change in the renegotiation was a formal acknowledgement by our EU friends that we are not heading for the same destination as they are. Yes, the EU will continue to centralise (we want it to, for that matter, so that the Eurozone can work better), but increasingly without us.

2 is just wrong. We actually have a lot of influence in the EU; that's why, for example, it is so strong on disallowing state aid. The Leavers have convinced themselves otherwise, but no-one ever explains why they reach this conclusion except to quote some meaningless statistics about how often we lose votes - statistics which 'show' that Germany has little influence either. If you believe that, you'll believe anything! Instead, you should look at the work of Simon Hix, who has looked at this issue in great detail and with academic rigour:

http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/europpblog/2015/11/16/uk-influence-in-europe-series-is-the-uk-at-the-top-table-in-eu-negotiations/

3 is easy to explain. We might well have preferred an EEA-style deal, or to have had a Singapore-like position relative to our big neighbour. It's certainly possible to imagine a better arrangement for the UK in relation to the EU if we had never joined. But we start from where we are: moving to an EEA-style deal, for example, may not be worth the cost, and other scenarios are no longer practical because both the UK and the EU have developed together - for example, in our very tightly integrated car industry.

4 I won't reopen - we've discussed it often enough.

5 Yes, I agree is pretty much nonsense, although to be fair it's in response to an element in some (but not all, or even most) of the Leave campaign which does seem to see anything which happens in Europe (not even in the EU) as bad.

Do we want the EU to centralise? Why?

• Options

Cyclefree said:

Why do you think that?
    How many votes have we lost in the Council of Europe or the EU Parliament compared to other countries ?
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133

You have mentioned refugees from the Syrian civil war more than every Leaver here put together. #strawman
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

We want the Eurozone to be a success, given that it is here to stay. So we want them to address the fact that the structure is unstable and incomplete.
  • Options
    Puerto Rico called for Rubio.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Indigo said:

How many votes have we lost in the Council of Europe or the EU Parliament compared to other countries ?

In the Council, more than Germany, the second-placed. Unless you are going to argue that Germany doesn't have much influence either, you haven't got much of a point.

For an informed view, see here:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/datablog/2015/nov/02/is-uk-winner-or-loser-european-council

• Options
    Indigo said:

Cyclefree said:

Why do you think that?
    I don't think the EU parliament works like that. It would be like asking how many votes Surrey had lost in the UK parliament.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Why do you think that?
    Two reasons: the first is we don't seem to have an agenda of our own about what positive changes we want to make. It's all about stopping things happening or getting an opt-out for Britain. It is hard to be effective and punch above your weight if your diplomacy and negotiating is essentially negative.

Second, I don't see - and of course I may be wrong as I can only go on what I see and read - any sort of effective alliance-building within the EU. When push comes to shove, it seems to me that some of the more minor countries, however sympathetic they may be to some of what Britain says, will follow the Franco-German axis.

That is the motor around which the EU revolves (apologies for the mixed metaphors). There cannot be three in this marriage. And we are (at best) number three.

• Options
    Cyclefree sets a new standard in writing. Hopefully others can learn from it?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,045

I was thinking the other day that the 'Leave' argument is like having a bad mobile phone contract. You've been ripped off for years, but you've sort of ignored it and not done anything about it. You finally get up the gumption to phone the foreign call centre to argue for an upgrade to get you to renew your contract, and they tell you in no uncertain terms to bugger off. There's really only one thing to do isn't there? You might get a better contract elsewhere, but you could just go pay as you go for a while, or permanently. The alternative is to stay and continue to get the piss taken out of you.

Except they haven't told us to 'bugger off'.

The head of the household has gone in and renegotiated the contract. He's taken the new deal back to the rest of the household, some of whom are happy, whilst others are unhappy. Whilst he's happyish with the new deal, he's allowing the rest of the family a say on the new deal.
  • Options
    "Will this work? The likely answer is yes."

An excellent article, with the killer bit of realism for leave at the end there.

"What would life be like if we left" is most likely to remain a theoretical question.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

No idea how accurate this poll is, but if that's the case it's a very good result for Cruz:

Puerto Rico Primary ‏@PuertoRicoPoll 3h3 hours ago

@realDonaldTrump Morning Puerto Rico @GOP Primary Poll is in The results 36% #Rubio 34% #Cruz 21% #Trump 6% #Kasich 3% Other Trump needs 20%

Marco was touted to approach 50% here.

50% gains him all 23 delegates, otherwise it'll be more or less a wash.

Wasn't we told that non-Mexicans Hispanics wouldn't be anti-Trump because they would be unbothered by racism against Mexicans??
  • Options
    1.4% in, 74% for Rubio. Looks like he takes all 23 delegates.

Wouldn't read too much into it though, he's been the only one bothering with Puerto Rico. Demographics a touch different from upcoming mainland contests.
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474

Pulpstar said:

maxpb said:

rcs1000 said:

Osborne won't go anywhere else without a fight. Well, other than PM (in his dreams).
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

1.4% in, 74% for Rubio. Looks like he takes all 23 delegates.

Wouldn't read too much into it though, he's been the only one bothering with Puerto Rico. Demographics a touch different from upcoming mainland contests.

A win is a win, and delegates are delegates. Everything for Rubio depends on Florida. He needs those 100 odd delegates to close the gap somewhat and change the narrative.
  • Options
    Blimey, same number of delegates for Puerto Rico as New Hampshire.

Chance of Rubio getting any sort of momentum from this with today's Nancy Reagen news: Zero.
  • Options

The head of the household has gone in and renegotiated the contract. He's taken the new deal back to the rest of the household, some of whom are happy, whilst others are unhappy. Whilst he's happyish with the new deal, he's allowing the rest of the family a say on the new deal.
    The renegotiated contract is a change of name and the ability to get free texts from 4am to 5am on Thursdays.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    It may surprise some to hear that I agree with most of what Cyclefree has to say, particularly her most important point, that Remain should be making some positive arguments for EU membership. Project Fear by itself should be enough to win the referendum comfortably. But by itself it will not close down discussions about Britain's future in the EU.

Remainers need to make a cogent argument that can put British people at rest with their identity. That has so far not been attempted.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    I have no affection whatever for this Tory government so the fact that to a small extent it's watered down by the EU as far as I and many like me are concerned is all to the good.

The argument we hear from the 'Leavers' is how we should be able to do what we like unfettered.

Who is "WE"? Our Tory government? I've never voted for them in my life! I can't think of a politician I respect less than Boris and he's the tip of the iceberg

The more benign forces that temper their influence the better I like it.

Cyclefree gives some very valid reasons why TORIES might want THEIR Tory government to be given a free ride unfettered. I think she should consider that this view is far from universal and even if the lawmakers in the EU are as unattractive as our own (which I don't believe them to be) at least there's safety in numbers
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,964

Nah. They have told the head of the household to bugger off and he is just trying to make it seem like he got a better deal. It is basically take or leave it on the same terms as before (although some on here who seem to be in the know on financial matters actually think it is a worse deal than before)
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    I have a 6th argument and it's the one that pushes me to Remain: I have certain rights at the moment, as does the company I part-own, that Brexit could see reduced or removed. I don't want to lose those rights. That would reduce my freedoms and make it harder for our company to do business in its second biggest market. Leave cannot tell me what will happen on Brexit because it does not know. If we Remain, we keep the rights we have.
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    Roger said:

I have no affection whatever for this Tory government so the fact that to a small extent it's watered down by the EU as far as I and many like me are concerned is all to the good.

The argument we hear from the 'Leavers' is how we should be able to do what we like unfettered.

Who is "WE"? Our Tory government? I've never voted for them in my life! I can't think of a politician I respect less than Boris and he's the tip of the iceberr

Cyclefree gives some very valid reasons why TORIES might want THEIR Tory government to be given a free ride unfettered. I think she should consider that this view is far from universal and even if the lawmakers in the EU are as unattractive as our own at least there's safety in numbers

The Left in the UK has usually been well disposed to the EU because it enables the Left to achieve things which cannot be achieve through the UK parliament. I call that anti-democratic.

• Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    Very interesting article, Cyclefree. Many thanks.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
  • Options

Indigo said:

In the Council, more than Germany, the second-placed. Unless you are going to argue that Germany doesn't have much influence either, you haven't got much of a point.

For an informed view, see here:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/datablog/2015/nov/02/is-uk-winner-or-loser-european-council

Well using that informed view it seems Germany loses votes mostly on things like Employments and social affairs, the environment and tourism whilst we lose on things like the budget and foreign and security policy. I know which ones I would consider to be more important and more of a threat to our interests.
  • Options

The renegotiated contract is a change of name and the ability to get free texts from 4am to 5am on Thursdays.
    To be revoked at will by the telephone company at any time (that bit's in the fine print).
  • Options

It may surprise some to hear that I agree with most of what Cyclefree has to say, particularly her most important point, that Remain should be making some positive arguments for EU membership. Project Fear by itself should be enough to win the referendum comfortably. But by itself it will not close down discussions about Britain's future in the EU.

Remainers need to make a cogent argument that can put British people at rest with their identity. That has so far not been attempted.

Alastair this is a serious question, why don't you try?

Your piece on prospective pension changes in the Budget a few weeks back was superb, I am certain you could make a great case to Leavers like me.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    perdix said:

Roger said:

Who is "WE"? Our Tory government? I've never voted for them in my life! I can't think of a politician I respect less than Boris and he's the tip of the iceberr

Cyclefree gives some very valid reasons why TORIES might want THEIR Tory government to be given a free ride unfettered. I think she should consider that this view is far from universal and even if the lawmakers in the EU are as unattractive as our own at least there's safety in numbers

The Left in the UK has usually been well disposed to the EU because it enables the Left to achieve things which cannot be achieve through the UK parliament. I call that anti-democratic.

When a Labour or Tory government elected on well under 50% of the vote can legislate to restrict popular rights - such as, for example, minimum holiday and maternity leave entitlements - the EU comes in handy.

• Options
    perdix said:

Roger said:

Well that'll be tested by the referendum
  • Options
    2 votes for Kasich so far in Puerto Rico.

Fair to say it's not a target for him.
  • Options

Nah. They have told the head of the household to bugger off and he is just trying to make it seem like he got a better deal. It is basically take or leave it on the same terms as before (although some on here who seem to be in the know on financial matters actually think it is a worse deal than before)
    The funny thing is, David Cameron did have a chance to build a genuine non-Eurozone block inside the EU, and extract a different settlement for them. He could have spent two years in negotiation with Sweden, Denmark, and probably two or three of the Eastern European countries (such as Hungary and the Czech Republic) who have little appetite to join the Euro. Essentially, he could have gathered together all those countries that wanted to get off the "ever closer union" bus.

It reflects very poorly on him that he chose instead to try and rush through a pseudo-renegotiation.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

We want the Eurozone to be a success, given that it is here to stay. So we want them to address the fact that the structure is unstable and incomplete.
    It's not here to stay; quite the opposite, according to Mervyn King in his new book.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Who is "WE"? Our Tory government? I've never voted for them in my life! I can't think of a politician I respect less than Boris and he's the tip of the iceberg

Cyclefree gives some very valid reasons why TORIES might want THEIR Tory government to be given a free ride unfettered. I think she should consider that this view is far from universal and even if the lawmakers in the EU are as unattractive as our own (which I don't believe them to be) at least there's safety in numbers

And yet some of the main areas where the EU interferes are where Labour and the Left might want to do something to help their supporters and fulfill their aspirations.

Want to re-nationalise the railways? Not a chance when we are in the EU.
    Want to reverse Tory VAT introductions on home energy costs - Nope, not allowed.
    Want to offer direct support to industry like Steel? Nope, against the rules.

The fact that we have had fairly centre or centre right Governments (whether Tory or Labour) since 1979 has tended to hide the fact that there are large areas of left wing Labour policy that would be stamped on by the EU before they even got as far as the Queen's speech.

The whole point of leaving the EU is that it would be up to our elected Government to decide the best way to run the country and the electorate could choose their MPs on that basis. At the moment you really have to ask why, for large areas of policy, we even bother having MPs at all.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

Alastair this is a serious question, why don't you try?

Your piece on prospective pension changes in the Budget a few weeks back was superb, I am certain you could make a great case to Leavers like me.
    Largely because I'm not exactly very pro-EU. I've come off the fence on the side of Remain largely because I'm appalled at what Leave represents, not because of any particular affection for Brussels. The choice is between myopic arrogant undemocratic bureaucrats and little Englanders who regard other European countries as the enemy and who play on fears of foreigners. It's very much the lesser of two evils for me.

I'm not going to be hanging out bunting if Remain win.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    rcs1000 said:

The funny thing is, David Cameron did have a chance to build a genuine non-Eurozone block inside the EU, and extract a different settlement for them. He could have spent two years in negotiation with Sweden, Denmark, and probably two or three of the Eastern European countries (such as Hungary and the Czech Republic) who have little appetite to join the Euro. Essentially, he could have gathered together all those countries that wanted to get off the "ever closer union" bus.

It reflects very poorly on him that he chose instead to try and rush through a pseudo-renegotiation.

That's what I expected Cameron to do.

Still can't quite believe either the crassness of the deal or the bullying attempts to make people accept it.

• Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913

Remain is what we know - we may like or loathe it, but we know it.

Leave is what we don't know - even those campaigning for it don't agree on what it is.

Correct. Your last sentence sums up why LEAVE will ultimately lose.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

We have an opt out of SSM/SRM. We adhere to CRD-IV as it is the implementation mechanism of Basel III.

Did you not read what you linked to?? There is a mutual non-discrimination clause between eurozone and non-eurozone members. That is to prevent, as @Charles rightly points to, the ECB trying to repatriate EUR business to the eurozone.

So I am flatly correct.
    That piece that Norfolk linked to makes absolutely no mention of a non discrimination clause at all.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,811
    No1 is utterly key for me. I was a reluctant Remain for years, but I just do not believe the EU wants to reform in ways the UK, by and large, would like to, or if it is even capable of doing so, and that pushed me into Leave.

Like many I probably could not provide a formal list of all things I would like reformed, but that famed direction of travel, and the contemptuous dismissal of deviating from it in anything other than vestigial fashion, indicates the EU has no genuine intention of changing paths and never will, and that it sees any suggestion of less power as such a deviation to be avoided unless they have no choice. Being forced into that choice, even if successful, only leads to resentment, eating at the heart of the project to the benefit of no side on this issue.
This discussion has been closed.