Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Early indications are that Trump not going to have all his

Comments

• Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,780

If this resolves to Biden v Ryan the drinks are on me at the next PB meet.

Tissue Price. I won't book my train ticket for that free drink just yet! Not quite a done deal.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,596
    Owen Jones ‏@OwenJones84 1h1 hour ago
    I would genuinely prefer Donald Trump to Ted Cruz, in what can only be described as a fight between TB and cholera

Late night tweeting?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

You'd have to favour Biden I'd have thought. Seeing as the Trump voters won't come out for him, and Biden's votes will be motivated by the FBI.
    It will be neither, unless Clinton is found guilty of treason it will be Clinton v Trump
    I know where my money is in that case.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    edited March 2016
    Kansas dipped for the line: Cruz finishes under 50%

Trump versus 538 targets (approx +30 coming in)

Kansas 11 (-5)
    Maine 8 (-1)
    Kentucky 17 (-4)
    Lousiana ?!
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,239

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

You'd have to favour Biden I'd have thought. Seeing as the Trump voters won't come out for him, and Biden's votes will be motivated by the FBI.
    It will be neither, unless Clinton is found guilty of treason it will be Clinton v Trump
    Indeed but it will be close
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

not on the Queen of the Grifters, I'd guess...
  • Options

Kansas dipped for the line: Cruz finishes under 50%

Trump versus 538 targets (approx +30 coming in)

Kansas 11 (-5)
    Maine 8 (-1)
    Kentucky 17 (-4)
    Lousiana ?!

If Rubio gets <20% threshold then Trump likely to get at least half the state's 46 delegates, i.e. 23, which is his 538 target
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,724
    edited March 2016

The drinks at every PB meet will be on me for perpetuity if the EURef is an exact tie :lol:
  • Options
    KY counties, so far

Trump 7
    Cruz 4
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

KY counties, so far

Trump 7
    Cruz 4

Does KY do county-based delegates? Isn't it fully proportional?
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    edited March 2016
    Whatever the final results tonight, I think we can all see that the voters have decided to make this a 2 person race.
    And in a 2 person race it's way more difficult for Trump to win.

The predictive power of Iowa and N.H is proved again.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    stjohn said:

Tissue Price. I won't book my train ticket for that free drink just yet! Not quite a done deal.
    You can have a free half-pint if I only get 1 out of 2.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Whatever the final results tonight, I think we can all see that the voters have decided to make this a 2 person race.

Can you really imagine NY or CA going for Cruz?
  • Options
    What's the call on the unbounds in Louisiana? Do they generally follow the vote?
  • Options
    @SimonMaloy
    I don’t know if Ted Cruz’s “win states” strategy can compete with Rubio’s “just give me the nomination” strategy
  • Options
    edited March 2016

RodCrosby said:

KY counties, so far

Trump 7
    Cruz 4

Does KY do county-based delegates? Isn't it fully proportional?
    Yes it's PR, but the county tally may give a steer.

Just gone up to 11:5...
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,036
    £50 back on Trump.

Tonight and Florida probably sinks Rubio. Which is great for the Donald.
  • Options
    No idea why Sanders has come into 21/22 with lily white Nebraska/Kansas going for him.

I'm off to bed now, will see how much of a thumping he's got in Louisiana in the morning.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

The predictive power of Iowa and N.H is proved again.

It will only be a 2 person race once Florida and Ohio and most of the big states vote and Trump will win New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey and California if he faces Cruz head to head from April in those states
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

not on the Queen of the Grifters, I'd guess...
    Clinton by less than 1% remains my prediction if her opponent is Trump
  • Options
    Just need to keep your head in all this POTUS betting and I think you're fine.

• Options
    It's going to be a nail biter in Kentucky, western Kentucky seems Cruz country.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,081

Speedy said:

Yep exactly.
    Though the next week's prospectus will be bad for Trump - though I still favour him in Mississippi given the Kentucky results and the higher share of African-Americans in MS - the negativity could all change if Florida goes his way
    So at least until March 15th and FL/OH/IL, it will still be a 4-person race, with very high probability
    THEN in April you get the start of a big surge of less-proportional states on the coasts, dominated by California, New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey, the last three in particular favouring Trump over Cruz in a 2-way contest

On a lighter trivium, I learned from the Guardian that Mr Trump is a tee-totaller
  • Options

What's the call on the unbounds in Louisiana? Do they generally follow the vote?

GreenPapers thinks the unbounds may be "unconstitutional".

In 2012 they went with Romney (as did most of the winner Santorum's pledged delegates)
  • Options
    Kentucky 10% in

Trump 39.9%
    Cruz 33.8%
    Rubio 13.7%
    Kasich 10.7%
    http://edition.cnn.com/election/primaries/states/ky/Rep
  • Options
    EPG said:

Speedy said:

Yep exactly.
    Though the next week's prospectus will be bad for Trump - though I still favour him in Mississippi given the Kentucky results and the higher share of African-Americans in MS - the negativity could all change if Florida goes his way
    So at least until March 15th and FL/OH/IL, it will still be a 4-person race, with very high probability
    THEN in April you get the start of a big surge of less-proportional states on the coasts, dominated by California, New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey, the last three in particular favouring Trump over Cruz in a 2-way contest

On a lighter trivium, I learned from the Guardian that Mr Trump is a tee-totaller
    From here on in, we have to stop thinking about Rubio as a possible winner, and start thinking about his effect on the Trump v Cruz race
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

In 2012 they went with Romney (as did most of the winner Santorum's pledged delegates)
    er which constitution?
  • Options
    Currently Kasich would win more delegates tonight than Rubio!
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    Just laid trump @1.06 in Kentucky.

He's not *that* certain to take it is he?
  • Options

There's some info here:
    http://frontloading.blogspot.co.uk/2016/01/2016-republican-delegate-allocation_19.html

Reading this, I think a brokered convention would be an absolute nightmare. And probably involve very expensive lawyers.

• Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    Speedy said:

It's going to be a nail biter in Kentucky, western Kentucky seems Cruz country.

Shame about the east.
  • Options

EPG said:

Speedy said:

Yep exactly.

From here on in, we have to stop thinking about Rubio as a possible winner, and start thinking about his effect on the Trump v Cruz race
    One question that I haven't asked much this week is what's Kasich's role?
    I bought him at 100s but sold too early when he seemed to be failing after Carson's departure; now he's just going up and up
    Though biased against him due to this misbehaviour and his boringness, he could be a significant factor in a Trump-Cruz race detracting moderate-conservatives from, I guess, Trump at that stage?
    If he wins Michigan, then Ohio, he may continue and to garner votes. His conservative credentials are good enough to be VP for Cruz if this works
    However, I don't see a scenario in which he gets above both Cruz and Trump in time for the less-proportional states
  • Options

RodCrosby said:

er which constitution?
    RNC rules, which would be considered a constitution of the party.

I have no view, but would only observe that the LA allocation rules appear to be the same as last time, which passed without challenge.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,311
    An extended Trump-Cruz head-to-head might be the ideal scenario for the mainstream GOP to be reconciled to Trump's candidacy. Without anyone viable in the 'establishment lane' Trump will have space to become the unifier he'll need to be to have a chance in the general election.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    18:7 KY counties to Trump, so far
  • Options
    EPG said:

EPG said:

Speedy said:

Yep exactly.

I bought him at 100s but sold too early when he seemed to be failing after Carson's departure; now he's just going up and up
    Though biased against him due to this misbehaviour and his boringness, he could be a significant factor in a Trump-Cruz race detracting moderate-conservatives from, I guess, Trump at that stage?
    If he wins Michigan, then Ohio, he may continue and to garner votes. His conservative credentials are good enough to be VP for Cruz if this works
    However, I don't see a scenario in which he gets above both Cruz and Trump in time for the less-proportional states
    Not going to win, but big impact on the race. Add even half his votes to Rubio and Rubio would still be in with a shout
  • Options
    EPG said:

EPG said:

Speedy said:

Yep exactly.

2.8 for veep on BF. Doesn't seem value to me, given that potential veep candidates is a huge set (who the hell had Palin down in 2008?)
  • Options
    The Sunday Times" is reporting this morning that:

"Tory threat to oust PM after EU vote - Win or lose, Cameron faces challenge"

Quite right too imho, he's certainly lost my support.
  • Options
    Trump moving back in on BF...
  • Options

EPG said:

EPG said:

Speedy said:

Yep exactly.

2.8 for veep on BF. Doesn't seem value to me, given that potential veep candidates is a huge set (who the hell had Palin down in 2008?)
    I sold Carson at 10 on that market. Mad
  • Options
    Pong said:

Just laid trump @1.06 in Kentucky.

He's not *that* certain to take it is he?

Hmm looks about right to me. Unless you know Cruz is going to be particularly strong in Jefferson county I don't think we have the same dynamic at hand here that made Rubio great value when someone offered up a lay of 1.02 there.

Can't see Cruz crushing Jefferson.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

Trump moving back in on BF...

Amassing a strong lead in Kentucky (unfortunately, in a betting sense for me; but I actually hold a fair opinion of Trump as a candidate, out of the GOP field)
  • Options

EPG said:

EPG said:

Speedy said:

Yep exactly.

I sold Carson at 10 on that market. Mad
    Rubio into double figures.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

Nothing from the cities or from the western part, so I can't call it yet.
  • Options

The Sunday Times" is reporting this morning that:

"Tory threat to oust PM after EU vote - Win or lose, Cameron faces challenge"

Quite right too imho, he's certainly lost my support.

And this is news? Newstatesman had pretty similar article two days ago.
  • Options
    One of Trump, Cruz or Ryan looks like at this point anyway.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    Speedy said:

RodCrosby said:

Nothing from Cruz country yet?
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    21:8 to Trump in KY
  • Options
    and so to bed...
  • Options

Speedy said:

RodCrosby said:

Nothing from Cruz country yet?
    Not much. But that is all a question of margin, IMO, not result.

Nobody has yet come back from this margin in any primary/caucus.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Trump is leading by 2-1 over Cruz in eastern Kentucky, but Cruz is leading in western Kentucky.
    The cities in the middle will decide the victor.
  • Options
    If Trump gets a decent win in Louisiana, with Rubio sub-20, then he will make his 538 target there and run the one for the night overall very close.
  • Options

EPG said:

EPG said:

Speedy said:

Yep exactly.

Don't ask me my source for this story but it's probably available from a Google search - some punter was watching one of the flight tracker websites, and noticed a Gulfstream private jet flying from Alaska to Arizona and onward to the site of a McCain rally in Ohio...
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,029
    edited March 2016
    EPG said:

EPG said:

EPG said:

Speedy said:

Yep exactly.

Don't ask me my source for this story but it's probably available from a Google search - some punter was watching one of the flight tracker websites, and noticed a Gulfstream private jet flying from Alaska to Arizona and onward to the site of a McCain rally in Ohio...
    I remember that day, and I remember doubling my relatively small stake on the news (although I could have sworn it was the week of the RNC?). Paid to fix my old car which broke down a few weeks later!
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Cruz doing the N & W in KY, Trump the S & E...

22:11 to Trump
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    Bedtime, but bottom line is perhaps that resistance to Trump is strengthening, but too little, too late. Rubio seems to be heading for the exit , Cruz doing better than expected but not wonderfully, and it's possible to imagine a late Kasich surge on the back of Michigan and Ohio, but could the late winner-take-all primaries really turn it round that much?
  • Options
    OH COME ON SOMEBODY REPORT SOME RESULTS SOMEWHERE
  • Options
    edited March 2016

I can tell you that Kasich might win Ohio.
    It's obvious though.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

It's obvious though.
    The Michigan poll makes that interesting.

However I have turned a decent profit backing in Michigan on WH (25/1) and laying on BF (4/1) given the result is days away
  • Options
    edited March 2016

Speedy said:

It's obvious though.
    The Michigan poll makes that interesting.

However I have turned a decent profit backing in Michigan on WH (25/1) and laying on BF (4/1) given the result is days away
    I think tonight has proven that polls are mostly useless.
    Especially when they are conducted before a debate.
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    Kansas called for Sanders
  • Options
    Am I going to have to go to Maine myself and count the rest of the f***** ballots?
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Dadge said:

I called it about an hour ago.
    Nebraska and Maine for Sanders too.
    Louisiana goes for Hillary.
  • Options
    Dadge said:

I lost money consistently on the Dems, so I stopped betting :)
  • Options
    Maine is doing a press conference to announce their results?
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Speedy said:

R or D?

R I see
  • Options

Speedy said:

R or D?
    R.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Speedy said:

R or D?
    R.
    Trump at 21....
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Cruz wins Maine.

I called it what like 6 hours ago.

• Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    Dadge said:

who is calling it? I don't see any of there results on CCN or Dictions Desk HQ.
  • Options
    BigRich said:

Dadge said:

The state democratic party
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

BigRich said:

Dadge said:

The state democratic party
    Thanks, is this going to be like Iowa, where there vote totals are not released?
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    CNN already calls the end of Trump's momentum.
    They are astounded that Cruz won a New England state.

Just as I predicted 6 hours ago.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

It's the resurgence of the concept of momentum, more like. But Cruz is pushing out Rubio, Trump is the constant
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,029
    Speedy said:

Now, what are next weeks powerball numbers? :p
  • Options
    Cruz and Trump both hitting their 538 targets, Rubio missing. Badly.
  • Options
    edited March 2016

Speedy said:

It's the resurgence of the concept of momentum, more like. But Cruz is pushing out Rubio, Trump is the constant
    I think what happened is that Rubio's establishment voters left for Cruz as their last option, also that Trump came out of the debate damaged.

As you see, Rubio is very low through all states tonight.
  • Options

Speedy said:

Bizarre that Rubio seems to be rising in the national polls, while Cruz is falling (to third).

A leading indicator, or a lagging , or totally irrelevant?
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

Speedy said:

Bizarre that Rubio seems to be rising in the national polls, while Cruz is falling (to third).

There have been no polls after the Fox debate, it was a bad one for both Rubio and Trump and it was a very good one for Cruz and Kasich.
    The results tonight reflect that.
  • Options
    CNN has projected Kansas for Sanders with no results in
    http://edition.cnn.com/election/primaries/states/ks/Dem
  • Options

Cruz and Trump both hitting their 538 targets, Rubio missing. Badly.

Trump

Maine 9 (-)
    Kentucky 19 (-2)
    Kansas 9 (-7)

Just 9 to make up in Louisiana, should be possible. Also actual results v Rod's model seem to squeeze worse performing candidates for some reason
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Sanders winning Nebraska.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

Speedy said:

On what evidence, I have not seen any new national poll showing that?
  • Options
    Kentucky 25% in

Trump 43.4%
    Cruz 29.7%
    Rubio 13%
    Kasich 12.1%
    http://edition.cnn.com/election/primaries/states/ky/
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

CNN has projected Kansas for Sanders with no results in
    http://edition.cnn.com/election/primaries/states/ks/Dem

The state party has announced it
  • Options
    First results from Louisiana show Trump taking it by a very wide margin
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

RodCrosby said:

Speedy said:

Four of the last six polls have Cruz in third. Check out the USA tab in my sheet.
  • Options
    Rubio is not the Obama of the GOP but the John Edwards
    https://newrepublic.com/article/123234/marco-rubio-isnt-obama-gop-hes-john-edwards
  • Options
    I'm calling Louisiana for Trump.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

I'm calling Louisiana for Trump.

I marked up Rod's spreadsheet four hours ago :) though I am have understated the Trump lead
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Looking like Cruz has shaved no delegates whatsoever off of Trumps lead tonight...
  • Options
    I still can't call Kentucky.
    Trump's lead is large, but most of his best areas in eastern Kentucky are already in.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Trump's lead is large, but most of his best areas in eastern Kentucky are already in.

Rubio wins a county...
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

Speedy said:

Rubio wins a county...
    with 9 votes reported!!
  • Options

7% in Louisiana

Trump 47.7%
    Cruz 23.3%
    Rubio 19.3%
    Kasich 3.1%
    http://edition.cnn.com/election/primaries/states/la/
  • Options
    Louisiana projected for Hillary, no surprise on the Dem. side tonight.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

well you can lay Trump at 1.2 if you're really not sure...
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

7% in Louisiana

Trump 47.7%
    Cruz 23.3%
    Rubio 19.3%
    Kasich 3.1%
    Kentucky, Kentucky, Kentucky.

If Trump wants to keep it a tie with Cruz tonight, Kentucky is crucial.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

7% in Louisiana

Trump 47.7%
    Cruz 23.3%
    Rubio 19.3%
    Kasich 3.1%
    Kentucky, Kentucky, Kentucky.

If Trump wants to keep it a tie with Cruz tonight, Kentucky is crucial.
    Trump is on 40% in Kentucky with 32% in, we can soon call that for Trump too
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

HYUFD said:

RodCrosby said:

Speedy said:

Four of the last six polls have Cruz in third. Check out the USA tab in my sheet.
    They are time lagging, after tonight's results Rubio will be lucky to be ahead of Kasich let alone Cruz!
This discussion has been closed.