Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Concern about the EU jumps to 4th in the latest Ipsos-MORI

SystemSystem Posts: 11,704
edited March 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Concern about the EU jumps to 4th in the latest Ipsos-MORI Issues Index

Europe/EU jumps to 4th place in latest Ipsos-MORI Issues Index pic.twitter.com/HC51gYMMtU

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,584
    edited March 2016
    Can't imagine why the Eu has shot up to a 20 year high.
  • Options

A forthcoming directive on shoes?
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251

It's only a 13 year high. Mind you what was it about 2003 that led it to be that high back then?!
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,584
    edited March 2016
    Norm said:

It's only a 13 year high. Mind you what was it about 2003 that led it to be that high back then?!
    Oopps.

People love my attention to detail
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    This is the issue which no-one cares about,right?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,392
    So concern has rocketed from 16% to 20%. Otherwise known as 1 in 5. Hmmm...

Is this site just maybe overdoing this a tad?
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    Is Mandy still keen on the Euro?
    Norm said:

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068
    runnymede said:

I know some people that have it as their number one concern... as they are scared about us leaving.

Not everyone shares our views.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Poverty/Inequality drops a massive 4% - boy that Osborne chap is good. :lol:

(runs off the ConHome for my penitance)
  • Options

Norm said:

Oopps.

I thought the reference to "me attention to detail" was a joke but you have corrected it. Oh well.
  • Options
    And only two weeks to Budget Day

• Options
    DavidL said:

Norm said:

Oopps.

I thought the reference to "me attention to detail" was a joke but you have corrected it. Oh well.
    Auto correct.

I nearly left it unchanged
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    Where's AV on the list?

Must be number eleven.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,422
    You do wonder to what extent these lists follow the news and how much they drive them.
  • Options
    flightpath01flightpath01 Posts: 4,903

You do wonder to what extent these lists follow the news and how much they drive them.

Totally I would have thought. There is a referendum on the EU so would you not expect interest to pick up?
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753

And only two weeks to Budget Day

Tories may be getting lucky on housing too. City Am today reporting new Battersea power station developments seeing huge discounts to asking prices. Bound to have an effect lower down the chain.

May help Zac a bit, I guess.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    Media mogul Rupert Murdoch has married actress-model Jerry Hall in London.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-35725799
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    runnymede said:

Not that many.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    DavidL said:

16 to 20 is a 1 in 4 or a 25% increase.

/pedant
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

Well, the actual question is not (as Mike implies) which are the issues of maximum concern, but "What do you see as the most important issues facing Britain today?".

Clearly, by almost any standard the EU is an important issue facing Britain today, in a sense in which it wasn't when there was no referendum in the offing. I'm not sure that this tells us much one way or the other, TBH.
  • Options
    taffys said:

Tories may be getting lucky on housing too. City Am today reporting new Battersea power station developments seeing huge discounts to asking prices. Bound to have an effect lower down the chain.

The Battersea development is over-hyped and not terribly conveniently positioned. I wouldn't draw any general conclusions from it.
  • Options
    The coroner has rejected a request by the parents of Elliott Johnson to consider wider allegations of bullying by Tory party members during the inquest into his suicide. The wider allegations were described by the coroner as “very remote to the death of the deceased”, adding: “I will not allow the inquest to be used as a tool for putting anyone on trial”. A major development…

http://order-order.com/2016/03/04/coroner-wont-consider-elliott-johnson-bullying-allegations/
  • Options
    Where's pensions in the table!!!
  • Options

DavidL said:

/pedant
    I think he meant concern had reached one in five people

/pedant**2
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

/pedant
    I think he meant concern had reached one in five people

/pedant**2

Ahh. I was befuddled by the focus on the word "rocketed" and assumed that was the key point.

• Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913

Media mogul Rupert Murdoch has married actress-model Jerry Hall in London.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-35725799

She was very good as Joker's partner in the 1990 Batman movie.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    42/92 cite either the EU, foreign affairs or immigration as the single most important issue facing the UK today. 8% D/K or rounding

By age:

18-24: 28/92
    25-34: 30/92
    35-44: 35/92
    45-54: 45/92
    55-64: 49/92
    65---.: 60/92

• Options
    Where's Donald Trump in the list :D ?
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,977
    I wonder if IPSOS/Mori oversamples contributors to Political Betting.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

42/92 cite either the EU, foreign affairs or immigration as the single most important issue facing the UK today. 8% D/K or rounding

By age:

Does that really tell us anything, other than that older people dislike change?

• Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    The media has been banging on about it everyday for the past 2 weeks, constantly saying it's "the most important decision of our lifetimes"....and yet it only ranks 4th?
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

The media has been banging on about it everyday for the past 2 weeks, constantly saying it's "the most important decision of our lifetimes"....and yet it only ranks 4th?

Well in reality it is far more important than the General Election, but people won't see it that way - especially those for "Remain".

That'd change the morning after if there was an "Out" vote though, Twitter would go into meltdown.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Ummm, and more paragraphs like this one.
    The process by which the ideas that fuelled the Corbyn leadership catch light across the wide electorate is not a passive one. Like the anti-austerity movement that provided the backdrop for Corbyn’s rise, this next challenge will have to be another gear-shift in the pace and level of activity on the left: it will require a large new activist base to grow still further, and to push the narratives and ideas of the new left into communities and spaces where radical ideas are seldom heard. Those who cut their teeth on the unstoppable wave of optimism of the summer of 2015 must begin the gruelling low-level ground war for 2020, and a myriad of defensive social struggles in between.
    http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/staggers/2016/03/jeremy-corbyns-path-may-be-harder-we-thought-it-right-one
  • Options
    @Danny565 Currently of course leavers see it as of most concern, because they oppose the status quo.

If we were outside the EU, those wishing to join would see it as more relevant than those who wished to remain outside; again because it is opposite the status quo.
  • Options

The fact that people do not save properly for their pensions, except the already well off, tells us why pensions is not in that table.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

taffys said:

The Battersea development is over-hyped and not terribly conveniently positioned. I wouldn't draw any general conclusions from it.
    That's entirely consistent with what we are seeing across central London (as posted a few months ago).

Battersea is at the worst end of the range, but we are commonly seeing 20%+ off asking prices.
  • Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800

chestnut said:

By age:

Seems to me like it's the older people that want to change.
  • Options
    Charles said:

taffys said:

That's entirely consistent with what we are seeing across central London (as posted a few months ago).

Battersea is at the worst end of the range, but we are commonly seeing 20%+ off asking prices.
    Is there any knock on effect lower down the chain, Mr Charles?
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806

taffys said:

As I understand it there was a huge marketing effort to flog units in places like Hong Kong. Government policies have reduced incentives for foreign buyers.

• Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    'I know some people that have it as their number one concern... as they are scared about us leaving.

Not everyone shares our views.'

So that's your Dad, and...:)
  • Options

taffys said:

Still gutted that Chelsea FC never got it, the stadium plans were superb.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

@Danny565 Currently of course leavers see it as of most concern, because they oppose the status quo.

If we were outside the EU, those wishing to join would see it as more relevant than those who wished to remain outside; again because it is opposite the status quo.

Are you suggesting that Leave is going to come 4th in the referendum...
  • Options
    taffys said:

Charles said:

taffys said:

Flats yes, houses to a less extent.

But, to be honest, we've tended to focus more on the prime/super-prime (but not oligarch-led) segment of the market than lower so my insight is more limited
  • Options
    Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

Are you suggesting that Leave is going to come 4th in the referendum...
    Immigration looks like it might be a good proxy figure for "Leave" @ ~45%.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    edited March 2016
    So I take it we are assuming the EU membership has nothing to do with immigration, schools, health, housing or the economy then..... again.

Its rather like asking people why they ran out their house, "because I couldn't breathe", "because of the smoke", "because it was too hot"... you see no one cares that their house is on fire.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,427

They'll be there in a couple of weeks if Osborne doesn't back down :-)

Personally, it's high on my list, as it looks like my state retire date will be pushed back, yet again, by a year or two under this new review.
  • Options
    Charles said:

taffys said:

Charles said:

taffys said:

Flats yes, houses to a less extent.

But, to be honest, we've tended to focus more on the prime/super-prime (but not oligarch-led) segment of the market than lower so my insight is more limited
    interesting thanks.
  • Options

chestnut said:

By age:

Change back to their youth, I daresay. When Cammo explains that no one will be a day younger the numbers will change, too. Unless Boris has a trick up his sleeve, of course :(

• Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    edited March 2016

taffys said:

I only saw the away end but I couldn't believe how cramped up the away stand(shed) was at stamford bridge,very tight moving space when packed.
  • Options
    edited March 2016

chestnut said:

By age:

I'd suggest that it tells us that older people dislike the status quo and want change. It also points out the parts of now that they are concerned about.
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474

taffys said:

Battersea and the mile long development in Nine Elms have been sold off plan to overseas buyers, who having paid their deposits are probably walking away when asked to commit the balance. It's an indicator of problems ahead.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,630
    Charles said:

taffys said:

Yeah, the whole market is down, especially for newer developments. Good news for ordinary people IMO.
  • Options

taffys said:

I only saw the away end but I couldn't believe how cramped up the away stand(shed) was at stamford bridge,very tight moving space when packed.
    Only holds 41,000 and apart from the West Stand they are crammed in.

The plans for the new stadium are garish to say the least, looks like cathedral.
  • Options
    watford30 said:

taffys said:

Battersea and the mile long development in Nine Elms have been sold off plan to overseas buyers, who having paid their deposits are probably walking away when asked to commit the balance. It's an indicator of problems ahead.
    That's exactly what's happened.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Charles said:

taffys said:

Yeah, the whole market is down, especially for newer developments. Good news for ordinary people IMO.
    Also for London tories if prices come down enough.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Charles said:

taffys said:

Will noone spare a thought for Chinese & arab investors ?
  • Options
    edited March 2016

DavidL said:

/pedant
    20% is 1 in 5 supposedly concerned about the EU. Which given the extent to which it has dominated the media over the last fortnight I find remarkable.

Edit and having caught up with your exchange with rcs "rocketed" was facetious.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

chestnut said:

By age:

I'd suggest that it tells us that older people dislike the status quo and want change. It also points out the parts of now that they are concerned about.
    No - it relates merely to the importance of the issue. It doesn't say which side of the issue anyone's on.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

Charles said:

taffys said:

Nope
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    edited March 2016
    POGWAS

'Big Labour donors are flocking to Dan Jarvis amid growing speculation the former paratrooper could be the man to replace Jeremy Corbyn.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3476451/Labour-donors-flock-Dan-Jarvis-renews-speculation-challenge-Jeremy-Corbyn-warning-party-change-win-voters.html
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

Charles said:

taffys said:

Nope
    Oil is creeping up though.
  • Options
    watford30 said:

POGWAS

'Big Labour donors are flocking to Dan Jarvis amid growing speculation the former paratrooper could be the man to replace Jeremy Corbyn.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3476451/Labour-donors-flock-Dan-Jarvis-renews-speculation-challenge-Jeremy-Corbyn-warning-party-change-win-voters.html

Since when has The Daily Wail been an authority on the Labour Party?

• Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820

A forthcoming directive on shoes?
    Toasters and Kettles would be my suggestion. - Although they have been put on the back burner until Post June for some reason.
  • Options

chestnut said:

chestnut said:

By age:

No - it relates merely to the importance of the issue. It doesn't say which side of the issue anyone's on.

If you already understood that it relates to the importance of the issue, why did you bother to ask whether it tells us anything?

• Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,558

chestnut said:

By age:

Change back to their youth, I daresay. When Cammo explains that no one will be a day younger the numbers will change, too. Unless Boris has a trick up his sleeve, of course :(

This post is rather repellent.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

chestnut said:

chestnut said:

By age:

If you already understood that it relates to the importance of the issue, why did you bother to ask whether it tells us anything?

Why don't you ask OGH to have me banned? See how far it gets you.

• Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,290
    https://twitter.com/politicshome/status/705778620397199360

Is a pansexual Mayor, one who is half man half goat, famed for his sexual prowess?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,063
    “Concern” about the EU is by no means the same thing as being in favour of Leave. Plenty of people are “concerned”....... i.e. think it’s a cuurently important issue ....... but by no means are they all Leavers.

For many the “concern" is that we might Leave! And they don’t want to!
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Epic trolling...

@ScotTories: Ruth: I grew up watching titans leading Labour. Now I even feel nostalgic for Ed Miliband #scc16
  • Options
    watford30 said:

POGWAS

Hmmm... I am taken by two things. The picture of Jeremy Corbyn and his tie and the side bar picture of Rupert Murdoch marrying Jerry Hall.
    I fail to see how anyone can criticise Cameron now for his jibe last week. And I'm wondering who has the bigger hands, Murdoch or Hall.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Is a pansexual Mayor, one who is half man half goat, famed for his sexual prowess?

How big are his hands?
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

I think Goldsmith is taking one for the party and ensuring that Khan wins and Corbyn stays in office.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,558
    dr_spyn said:

Either that or a prediliction for teflon and cast iron.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    dr_spyn said:

Could be more interesting than the usual fireworks displays and cycle rallies:

http://izabael.typepad.com/izabael/2009/08/bacchanal-the-orgy-in-ancient-greek-and-roman-inspired-art.html

[possibly NSFW!]
  • Options

chestnut said:

By age:

This post is rather repellent.
    I suspect that what's repellent is inside your head...

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,009
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Dr. Spyn, don't be so satyrical.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578

dr_spyn said:

I think Goldsmith is taking one for the party and ensuring that Khan wins and Corbyn stays in office.
    Yes you could be right.

I was surprised Goldsmith came out for Leave. This will not help his chances in the mayoral race as London must be pretty solid for Remain.

I don't expect Corbyn to be challenged this year whatever the May election results - people will want to concentrate on the EU ref. And after that the May results will have been largely forgotten. But that does not mean that Corbyn is safe until 2020.
  • Options

Good afternoon, everyone.

Dr. Spyn, don't be so satyrical.

No need to faun.
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

Could be more interesting than the usual fireworks displays and cycle rallies:

http://izabael.typepad.com/izabael/2009/08/bacchanal-the-orgy-in-ancient-greek-and-roman-inspired-art.html

[possibly NSFW!]
    But its just sculpture, art, and classical culture with a serious discussion of outcomes.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Meanwhile, the Conservatives continue to demonstrate their supposedly "compassionate" "one nation" credentials.

A friend in the mental health support group I go to, who suffers from diagnosed clinical depression, had serious suicidal feelings six months ago, and on a typical day suffers anxiety serious enough that he often can't even go to the shop down the road, has been declared fit for work and will be denied sickness benefits with immediate effect.

A complete joke
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Oh my, @MrNabavi posting filth on the interwebby. - Is this the end of the British Empire…!
  • Options

Seems to be on topic at the moment...

"A dogging site. I'd arranged for the Deputy Prime Minister to visit a dogging site."

https://www.politicshome.com/party-politics/articles/dot-commons-diary/nick-clegg-and-dogging-hotspot
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited March 2016
    watford30 said:

taffys said:

Why is it a problem? The whole idea of a deposit is that if they walk away then they lose out and you keep the deposit and resell 100% of it to somebody new. That some parts of the world is struggling is nothing new but if the overseas buyers walk away then either locals or other overseas buyers can step in.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Meanwhile, the Conservatives continue to demonstrate their supposedly "compassionate" "one nation" credentials.

A friend in the mental health support group I go to, who suffers from diagnosed clinical depression, had serious suicidal feelings six months ago, and on a typical day suffers anxiety serious enough that he often can't even go to the shop down the road, has been declared fit for work and will be denied sickness benefits with immediate effect.

A complete joke

Did Ian Duncan Smith carry out the assessment personally?
  • Options

watford30 said:

taffys said:

Why is it a problem? The whole idea of a deposit is that if they walk away then they lose out and you keep the deposit and resell 100% of it to somebody new. That some parts of the world is struggling is nothing new but if the overseas buyers walk away then either locals or other overseas buyers can step in.
    It's a problem because the builders have baked in the sale to their financing plans and they are left with more inventory than they can shift in the UK market

The result is that prices are marked down by significantly more than value of the deposit, so the developers get burnt.

(I think @watford30's point, though, was the fact that Chinese buyers - in particular - are walking away from high five/six figure sums is a sign of potential difficulties in their markets)
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    And today's asylum seeker violent crime report...

A 19-year-old migrant has died after being stabbed in the throat during a brawl at a Swedish refugee hostel.

Police say they are still investigating the motive for the killing but have arrested three suspects, all of whom are also asylum seekers.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3476665/Three-migrants-arrested-asylum-seeker-19-killed-stabbed-throat-brawl-refugee-centre-Sweden.html
  • Options
    Oh dear me

Could it be the third time in a hundred years Britain ruins Germany's plans to dominate Europe?
    #Brexit https://t.co/MyLDE9pTyC
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @LadPolitics: Today lots of people have been backing MITT at 66/1 to be the GOP nominee.
    GO MITT!
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    dr_spyn said:

Surely he wanted to mean metrosexual?
  • Options
    O/T
    LAPD confirms a knife was found buried at former home of #OJSimpson
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100

O/T

What is the statute of limitation for murder in California ?
    OJ Simpson is still in jail in Nevada so he can't escape.
  • Options

Danny565 said:

A complete joke

Do you think people who have severe depression should be denied benefits?
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

Danny565 said:

A complete joke

I imagine he arranged for it to be done by an EU official.
  • Options
    Hertsmere_PubgoerHertsmere_Pubgoer Posts: 3,476
    edited March 2016
    Speedy said:

O/T

What is the statute of limitation for murder in California ?
    OJ Simpson is still in jail in Nevada so he can't escape.
    CNN saying double jeopardy rules apply. Will prevent a prosecution.
  • Options

O/T

Interesting timing given the TV show on at the moment.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@LadPolitics: Today lots of people have been backing MITT at 66/1 to be the GOP nominee.
    GO MITT!

Easiest money Ladbrokes will ever make :D
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Evening all. Have I missed any excitement?

I see that Boris Johnson has earned the disdain of Simon Heffer:

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2016/03/even-boris-s-senior-colleagues-dread-tory-activists-handing-him-keys-downing
This discussion has been closed.