Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The collective PBers’ EU Referendum prediction: REMAIN to w

SystemSystem Posts: 11,704
edited March 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The collective PBers’ EU Referendum prediction: REMAIN to win by 8.6%, turnout 62.75%

The chart above shows the breakdown by party supported of entrants in PB’s referendum prediction competition. Interestingly breaking this down by party support not one segment had LEAVE ahead although UKIP voters were very nearly there.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    First ..... again!
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    Deferred success.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    Damn new threads! And there I was just suggesting the real way we would eventually leave the EU ;)
    Indigo said:

In 2025 there will be a neo-Corbynite Labour government, they will have been in office for a week, when the phone rings from Brussels and tells them that nationalising the railways is out of the question because of the Third Railways Directive, and that he has five years to fully privatise the NHS because of TTIP.... the next week Labour will invoke Article 50 ;)

• Options
    It's good to see William Hill, Britain's No.1 bookie, somewhat belatedly taking a real interest in political betting via your new TV operation Mike.
    Their Graham Sharpe is a smart cookie, no doubt. God, I was pleased you remembered his name just in time during the introduction!
  • Options
    Fascinating
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Can you add 50% on the chart. Might be relevant in this case... (perhaps as a dotted horizontal line, or is that just been a graphics nazi?)

But your chart leads me to conclude we are collectively suffering from groupthink again, as we were before the last election
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited March 2016
    A Warwick junior doctor has gone full Clarkson and proclaimed that Tory MPs “should all be shot”. Usman Ahmed is a trainee orthopaedic surgeon who has been one of the poster boys for the strikes on the BBC.

http://order-order.com/2016/03/03/junior-doctor-poster-boy-tory-mps-should-all-be-shot/

I hope he takes a lot more care at work when it comes to facts, given the number of factual errors in his facebook post.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,853
    Indigo said:

Damn new threads! And there I was just suggesting the real way we would eventually leave the EU ;)

Indigo said:

In 2025 there will be a neo-Corbynite Labour government, they will have been in office for a week, when the phone rings from Brussels and tells them that nationalising the railways is out of the question because of the Third Railways Directive, and that he has five years to fully privatise the NHS because of TTIP.... the next week Labour will invoke Article 50 ;)

I'm surprised Outers aren't already hammering on about TTIP far far more than they are. Many of the leftist twitterati are well embedded as Remainers atm, but TTIP is an evil corporatist plot to many and making that association could be fruitful amongst this segment of voters.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205
    My prediction of 41.5% for Leave helped drag the Ukip score down.
  • Options

A Warwick junior doctor has gone full Clarkson and proclaimed that Tory MPs “should all be shot”. Usman Ahmed is a trainee orthopaedic surgeon who has been one of the poster boys for the strikes on the BBC.

http://order-order.com/2016/03/03/junior-doctor-poster-boy-tory-mps-should-all-be-shot/

I hope he got his collar felt, he appears to have committed an offense under Section 4 of Offences against the Person Act 1861.
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251
    tlg86 said:

A bit pessimistic, old boy!
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,630
    Pro_Rata said:

Don't see the inevitability. Eurozone = 338m people, non Eurozone but with close integration, 173m people across 11 nations - so above 1/3. Though that balance could change, it would take far better fiscal times than we have now, so the prospect of being a lone voice in the wilderness isn't coming about any time in the foreseeable.

All of the countries currently in the EU but not in the euro have to join except us and Denmark. Sweden have figured out a loophole and Denmark are in ERM II. Only the UK has a full permanent opt-out of joining the eurozone or anything related to it. It will eventually be 27 vs 1 or possibly 26 vs 2, but Denmark will be in ERM II anyway. The EU will eventually turn into a single European state and the former nations will be like the US states with middling representation at the federal level via the EC (senate) and EUParl (house).

A Remain vote leads us down this inevitable path.
  • Options
    Any chance of the data as a webpage link? I can't open the download file.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

BRITISH AIRWAYS BIZ CLASS TO BANGKOK ABSOLUTELY SUCKS COMPARED TO EVA.

and it costs more.

Just had to get that off my chest. The difference really is phenomenal. The Asians are eating our lunch. How do they do it?

Their flight attendants earn half of the wage and have no pension rights.
  • Options
    So the average competition numbers were: REMAIN 54.3% vs LEAVE 45.7%.
    Should these numbers ultimately prove to be in the right ball park, then this illustrates the possible value of Wm. Hill's 7/4 odds against a LEAVE vote for England alone.
    By my broadbrush assumptions and calculations set out in the previous thread, a 53.25% REMAIN vote for the entire UK & N.I. equated to a parity 50% : 50% vote for England. I've staked a score on this basis to win £35, but DYOR.
  • Options
    What's the fewest number of people that can split 60.18 : 39.82 to 2 dp.

In other words, precisely how many green entrants are there!
  • Options
    SeanT said:

and it costs more.

Just had to get that off my chest. The difference really is phenomenal. The Asians are eating our lunch. How do they do it?

A friend of mine of 30+ years is a BA Captain, he claims the problem is basically zero staff turnover. All the flight crew in the front and the back earn substantially more than their equivalent in other comparable airlines, and is largely based on seniority, so they sit tight, but have in many cases lost their enthusiasm. This apparently gets worse on the farther you travel because those routes have more perks and pay more so the older, more experienced, but hide bound and unenthusiastic staff take those slots.
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

What's the fewest number of people that can split 60.18 : 39.82 to 2 dp.

In other words, precisely how many green entrants are there!

one.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,009
    FPT: Javid doing a sterling job making himself look pathetic, intellectually incoherent, careerist, and cowardly.

I predicted a winning margin of circa 24 points. I think my turnout guess was almost exactly average, though.
  • Options
    Kate McCann
    Stuart Rose is knocking it out of the park again, says he hopes he's dead next time the EU debate comes up. Championing the in camp there
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205
    Norm said:

tlg86 said:

What is interesting is the turnout prediction. I think it might get into the 70s which would probably favour Remain. But if I'm wrong about that then Leave might do better.
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    My prediction was 52% for Leave with a 52% turnout
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    MaxPB said:

Pro_Rata said:

Don't see the inevitability. Eurozone = 338m people, non Eurozone but with close integration, 173m people across 11 nations - so above 1/3. Though that balance could change, it would take far better fiscal times than we have now, so the prospect of being a lone voice in the wilderness isn't coming about any time in the foreseeable.

All of the countries currently in the EU but not in the euro have to join except us and Denmark. Sweden have figured out a loophole and Denmark are in ERM II. Only the UK has a full permanent opt-out of joining the eurozone or anything related to it. It will eventually be 27 vs 1 or possibly 26 vs 2, but Denmark will be in ERM II anyway. The EU will eventually turn into a single European state and the former nations will be like the US states with middling representation at the federal level via the EC (senate) and EUParl (house).

But currently Eurozone = Very hungry caterpillar by Saturday night. It ate, some Olives, a load of feta, a bucket of Ouzo, not to mention pizza, paella etc etc.

Whatever the rules say, it is not going to be hungry again or turning into a butterfly for a long, long time yet.
  • Options
    flightpath01flightpath01 Posts: 4,903

FPT: Javid doing a sterling job making himself look pathetic, intellectually incoherent, careerist, and cowardly.

Well what an unsurprising observation ... as if you are capable of seeing anything else.

• Options
    Pro_Rata said:

MaxPB said:

Pro_Rata said:

But currently Eurozone = Very hungry caterpillar by Saturday night. It ate, some Olives, a load of feta, a bucket of Ouzo, not to mention pizza, paella etc etc.

Whatever the rules say, it is not going to be hungry again or turning into a butterfly for a long, long time yet.
    And their solution for this wasn't to call it a day, but to integrate further and begin a bond buying programme that is probably contrary to their own original rules.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    SeanT said:

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

and it costs more.

I'm basically in a DC10.
    Good to see you made the most of the Lounge.....the last BA DC-10 retired from the fleet 14 years ago.....
  • Options

Well what an unsurprising observation ... as if you are capable of seeing anything else.

About as much as you do FlightBot.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Any chance of the data as a webpage link? I can't open the download file.

The original data...

http://show.nojam.com/a2t9/summary.php

• Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,715
    I didn't predict a result - I took a punt on a long shot.

After being runner up in the last by-election competition, I'll stick with the same strategy.
  • Options
    Mr. Flightpath, before the campaign began, when others touted him as a potential leader, I repeatedly said that, in the few times I saw him on TV, he came across as a lightweight (as I said of Burnham back when some thought he might be a leader).
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,922
    Pro_Rata said:

Indigo said:

Indigo said:

I'm surprised Outers aren't already hammering on about TTIP far far more than they are. Many of the leftist twitterati are well embedded as Remainers atm, but TTIP is an evil corporatist plot to many and making that association could be fruitful amongst this segment of voters.
    From the lefties I know I doubt it would outweigh their hatred of Farage and his closet racists in UKIP.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

and it costs more.

It's not the staff it's the facilities. I'm basically in a DC10. No usb portal. Cramped. Wobbly chairs. Old plane. Just rubbish. That weird configuration where you sit opposite strangers. And they charge £3k for the privilege.

Eva air charge £2.5k and have fabulous individual podules, new planes, better departure times, endless food and wine.

Something is going wrong. And this is a major route. London Bangkok.
    Well paying their staff more means they can't afford to replace their planes as often as they'd like. Though BA do have 34 787 aircraft on order and the option to buy more. The situation should improve once those are delivered. You have to remember that BA has the first mover's disadvantage, especially against an airline like EVA which is less than 30 years old.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited March 2016
    edit
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Pro_Rata said:

No it does not. The path of the EZ/EU may well eventually be inevitable somewhere on the lines you describe - that is not in our gift to do anything about - its entirely up to them.
    But there is nothing inevitable in the least about about us joining in, certainly not specifically related to a Remain vote.
    Plus it will require another referendum to give up the £.
    A Remain vote will specifically endorse a multiple currency EU.
    If we 'Leave' then the converse is true indeed 'inevitable' - the EU will become a single currency area and any future desire to rejoin it will mean losing the £. Only by remaining can we guarantee to keep the £.

• Options
    OllyT said:

Pro_Rata said:

Indigo said:

Indigo said:

From the lefties I know I doubt it would outweigh their hatred of Farage and his closet racists in UKIP.
    Then when they can't nationalise the railways and have to privatise large chunks of the NHS in a decades time they have no room for complaint.
  • Options
    OllyT said:

Pro_Rata said:

Indigo said:

Indigo said:

What has racism got to do with TTIP?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Norm said:

tlg86 said:

What is interesting is the turnout prediction. I think it might get into the 70s which would probably favour Remain. But if I'm wrong about that then Leave might do better.
    I'd be amazed if the can't be blowed section of the electorate turn up this time.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    Is the compo closed ?
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    Pulpstar said:

Is the compo closed ?

Closed Wed 10pm.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Afternoon all.

Will the wisdom of the crowd prove more accurate than the BPC cohorts? or will they herd :lol:
  • Options
    SeanT said:

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

and it costs more.

It's not the staff it's the facilities. I'm basically in a DC10. No usb portal. Cramped. Wobbly chairs. Old plane. Just rubbish. That weird configuration where you sit opposite strangers. And they charge £3k for the privilege.

Eva air charge £2.5k and have fabulous individual podules, new planes, better departure times, endless food and wine.

Not a major route - the put their best planes on their most profitable routes. In BA's case this is:

1. London-JFK (not Newark, terrible planes from Newark)
    2. London-HK
    3. London-Lagos

For EVA London-Bankok will be important (presumably a feeder to Taipei where EVA is based)

This is most noticeable on London to Moscow. BA planes are their worst. Aeroflop's planes are their best.
  • Options
    FattyBolgerFattyBolger Posts: 299
    Yay.!! Totally unexpected declaration for Leave from a bloke in our office. A fluent Spanish speaker who has lived and worked in Spain. Aged about 30. Thinks it will help bring down house prices. There is hope. Not one other person has mentioned the referendum.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    SeanT said:

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

and it costs more.

Business or First class? I can book a business class return fare to Bangkok in April for under £2k on BA
  • Options
    Norm said:

tlg86 said:

Norm said:

tlg86 said:

I'd be amazed if the can't be blowed section of the electorate turn up this time.
    Me too hence my 52% turnout prediction.
  • Options

Afternoon all.

Will the wisdom of the crowd prove more accurate than the BPC cohorts? or will they herd :lol:

PB Tories, always right, nothing more to learn.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

and it costs more.

Well paying their staff more means they can't afford to replace their planes as often as they'd like. Though BA do have 34 787 aircraft on order and the option to buy more. The situation should improve once those are delivered. You have to remember that BA has the first mover's disadvantage, especially against an airline like EVA which is less than 30 years old.
    As I read it BA do not have DC-10s - I am not sure they ever had. The seats convert to beds. They make a big thing about the rear facing seats.
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/larryolmsted/2013/03/07/radical-business-class-sets-british-airways-apart/#622d794130fa
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

and it costs more.

As I read it BA do not have DC-10s - I am not sure they ever had. The seats convert to beds. They make a big thing about the rear facing seats.
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/larryolmsted/2013/03/07/radical-business-class-sets-british-airways-apart/#622d794130fa
    The London - Bangkok is a Boeing 777, not sure whether its the -200 or -300 version
  • Options
    I wonder what % of BBC employees are for Leave
  • Options

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

and it costs more.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oneworld

Just because you book BA doesn't mean you are getting on a BA aircraft.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,922
    Indigo said:

OllyT said:

Pro_Rata said:

Indigo said:

Indigo said:

Then when they can't nationalise the railways and have to privatise large chunks of the NHS in a decades time they have no room for complaint.
    Fair enough, I'm just telling you what I'm hearing and most of them loathe UKIP and will vote accordingly.

Anecdote alert:- A couple we know who do some work for us in the garden etc voted UKIP in May as they have views on immigration that make me blush This morning I was moaning to them that I would be glad when the referendum was over. Much to my surprise they told me they were going to vote REMAIN because leaving was going to make "b*gg*r all difference to immigration and without that it was too big a risk. I was genuinely gobsmacked
  • Options
    Indigo said:

I am objective enough to know that there is no real difference between staying in and leaving and that more and more the leavers are just burnishing personal prejudices and animosity at politicians who have the nerve not to perform to their dog whistles, rather than caring tuppence about the country or indeed living in the real world - OK IdiBot?
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    'Javid doing a sterling job making himself look pathetic, intellectually incoherent, careerist, and cowardly'

He's hardly the only one, though his bizarre and tortuous justification for backing Remain did mark him out a bit from the others...
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144

I wonder what % of BBC employees are for Leave

The Beeb are all currently happy to take Cameron's line, as the Govt. are going to push through legislation to require you to buy a Licence to watch BBC programmes on the i-player. Worth £100m to them by 2022, they reckon.
  • Options
    JonathanD said:

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

and it costs more.

The London - Bangkok is a Boeing 777, not sure whether its the -200 or -300 version

And FWIW I prefered the DC-10 - a very fine aircraft & quieter than the 777.......
  • Options
    Mr. Runnymede, the piece he wrote for the Mail saying we should stay in, but opening by saying he wouldn't want us to join the EU if we weren't in it, was quite entertaining.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

and it costs more.

You are if you are flying to BKK direct from LHR......
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

and it costs more.

Aw Bless. SeanT's humour has completely by passed dear old Flight Bot.
  • Options
    FAO: OGH & Others - I've just emailed Sporting, suggesting that they consider offering spreads on the percentage vote for either REMAIN or LEAVE in the referendum and also the percentage overall UK turnout in the said referendum.
    I'll post the essence of any reply which I receive from them.
  • Options
    edited March 2016

Indigo said:

I am objective enough to know that there is no real difference between staying in and leaving and that more and more the leavers are just burnishing personal prejudices and animosity at politicians who have the nerve not to perform to their dog whistles, rather than caring tuppence about the country or indeed living in the real world - OK IdiBot?
    No, that's conjecture. If Leave wins as the result of public concern about immigration after several months of border problems in the EU, there is no way the government is going go the EEA route, it would be electoral suicide. When push comes to shove they are politicians and want to get re-elected, and all the Corbyns in the world won't stop an electoral disaster if the government goes and joins the EEA in the teeth of enough public concern about immigration to swing a Leave vote. Some of the smarter Remainers seem to have clocked this basic idea, but I wouldn't expect that to include you.
  • Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800

Indigo said:

Approximately £10 billion is very little?
  • Options
    runnymede said:

'Javid doing a sterling job making himself look pathetic, intellectually incoherent, careerist, and cowardly'

He's hardly the only one, though his bizarre and tortuous justification for backing Remain did mark him out a bit from the others...

Everything told him to go with Leave.

Except his boss.
  • Options
    edited March 2016

Yay.!! Totally unexpected declaration for Leave from a bloke in our office. A fluent Spanish speaker who has lived and worked in Spain. Aged about 30. Thinks it will help bring down house prices. There is hope. Not one other person has mentioned the referendum.

Wisdom comes in unexpected places!
  • Options
    watford30 said:

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

and it costs more.

Poor old flightpath doesn't see the point in humour, its for stupid people
  • Options
    edited March 2016

Indigo said:

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

and it costs more.

Probably true. I fly PAL from LHR to MNL, partly because I am a cheapskate and it costs about half what BA does, and partly because they give me 50% more luggage allowance than BA does ;)
  • Options

runnymede said:

Except his boss.
    You kinda wonder what he might really do in the secrecy of the polling booth!
  • Options

watford30 said:

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

and it costs more.

My Flighpath emulator is surprisingly accurate, with it I can read humourless droning whenever I want :D
  • Options

runnymede said:

Except his boss.
    Loyalty is an admirable quality.
  • Options
    pbr2013pbr2013 Posts: 649
    @Olly T FPT

It was a joke.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Indigo said:

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

and it costs more.

Probably true. I fly PAL from LHR to MNL, partly because I am a cheapskate and it costs about half what BA does, and partly because they give me 50% more luggage allowance than BA does ;)
    The luggage allowance can make a big difference - for those of us paying for our own tickets - the ME carriers are now almost all 30kg - and on a recent trip I discovered that for some reason the excess baggage charges on Garuda from Amsterdam were one tenth of other airlines.....
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    edited March 2016

runnymede said:

Except his boss.
    He exhibits a level of sycophancy that might even make Nabavi blush.
  • Options

runnymede said:

Except his boss.
    Yes it saves thinking for yourself
  • Options

Yay.!! Totally unexpected declaration for Leave from a bloke in our office. A fluent Spanish speaker who has lived and worked in Spain. Aged about 30. Thinks it will help bring down house prices.

A major economic slump would do that......you sure he's not a Project Fear sleeper? ;-)
  • Options

Indigo said:

Approximately £10 billion is very little?
    A billion here, a billion there...
  • Options

runnymede said:

Except his boss.
    Did OGH tell you to post that?
  • Options

runnymede said:

Except his boss.
    Did OGH tell you to post that?
    No, David Maxwell Fyfe did
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536

That depends entirely on what you are being 'loyal' to, doesn't it?

I would suggest breaking with loyalty in order to act according to your conscience and for the greater good was a far more admirable quality.
  • Options
    I looked at my posts today and was horrified by typos, formatting errors etc. Mostly because I post from a phone.

I lurk here mostly. And I spend too much time doing that. What I have never understood is how so many successful professional/business types here find the time. How do you do that?
  • Options
    pbr2013 said:

I looked at my posts today and was horrified by typos, formatting errors etc. Mostly because I post from a phone.

I lurk here mostly. And I spend too much time doing that. What I have never understood is how so many successful professional/business types here find the time. How do you do that?

Us intelligent types can multi task.

Plus I spend far too much of my working week either in taxis and long train journeys.
  • Options

FAO: OGH & Others - I've just emailed Sporting, suggesting that they consider offering spreads on the percentage vote for either REMAIN or LEAVE in the referendum and also the percentage overall UK turnout in the said referendum.
    I'll post the essence of any reply which I receive from them.

Silly me - Sporting have replied pointing out that they are already offering spreads on the outcome of the referendum, where their current % spreads for the two sides are as follows:

REMAIN 53 - 54
    LEAVE 46 - 47

In other words, almost precisely in agreement with the average of PB's competition entrants - God are we collectively very boring or simply very wise?
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Louisiana - Magellan Strategies.

GOP - Trump 41 .. Carson 21 .. Rubio 15 .. Kasich 9 .. Carson 5

Dem - Clinton 61 .. Sanders 14

http://thehayride.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/LA-PRESPRIM-030116-TOPLINES.pdf

• Options

runnymede said:

Except his boss.
    Who needs principles in politics when you have George Osborne's arse to lick!
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369
    edited March 2016

As we're all swapping flying anecdotes, I will say I was impressed by Norwegian's cut-price planes to the US - unlike Ryanair and the like, they offer comfortable leg room, mass of seat-back entertainment without charge and ultra-modern aircraft with gizmos like button-operated cabin window shading. They are currently advertising flights to NY (one way) for £174... The downsides are that you pay extra if you have significant baggage, insist on a particular seat or demand airline food, all of which are meh as far as I'm concerned.

The most fun airline was in Kenya - forgotten their name now, but the pilot safety announcement was full of wisecracks like, "If you've not figured out how seatbelts work yet, you shouldn't be on this plane, so I can't be bothered to tell you".
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Michigan - Fox2 Detroit/Mitchell

GOP - Trump 39 .. Rubio 19 .. Carson 14 .. Kasich 12 .. Carson 9

Dem - Clinton 61 .. Sanders 33

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/docs/2016/Mitchell_Poll_FOX_2_GOP_Primary_3-2-16.pdf
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    If each of the richer EU countries (Germany, France, Netherlands, Italy, Spain) stumped up Eur 1 billion each, Europe could afford to build perfect refugee camps all over turky, and North Africa.

Probably be cheaper than the drip drip drip of spend at the moment
  • Options
    pbr2013 said:

4 monitors....
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Indigo said:

SeanT said:

and it costs more.

A friend of mine of 30+ years is a BA Captain, he claims the problem is basically zero staff turnover. All the flight crew in the front and the back earn substantially more than their equivalent in other comparable airlines, and is largely based on seniority, so they sit tight, but have in many cases lost their enthusiasm. This apparently gets worse on the farther you travel because those routes have more perks and pay more so the older, more experienced, but hide bound and unenthusiastic staff take those slots.
    Probably explains the heft of most of the BA staff I encounter. Virgin far more streamlined.

• Options

watford30 said:

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

and it costs more.

Feeling better for that? Shock horror someone disagrees with you? All girls together congratulating yourselves on your ignorance? The PB bubble? Oh no heaven forbid you should be twittering away reinforcing your prejudices in your very own bubble.
  • Options
    pbr2013 said:

The same thoughts have often occurred to me - best epitomised by the late (not literally I hope) and much missed "tim" formerly of this parish who would post dozens and dozens of times each and every day, 7 days a week. How he found time to be a farmer and/or a wine merchant, etc at the same time is totally beyond me as is also the small matter of how he manages to fill his days since leaving us.
  • Options
    edited March 2016

pbr2013 said:

The same thoughts have often occurred to me - best epitomised by the late (not literally I hope) and much missed "tim" formerly of this parish who would post dozens and dozens of times each and every day, 7 days a week. How he found time to be a farmer and/or a wine merchant, etc at the same time is totally beyond me as is also the small matter of how he manages to fill his days since leaving us.
    Because he was neither...11.1K tweets is how he fills his time...
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    Sixty one percent of Trump voters strongly agree that they “are mad as hell and they won’t take it anymore.”
  • Options
    Bugger

Five-Quarter North Sea gas extraction firm collapses https://t.co/BZmwJ3kXmL https://t.co/4vlOiBPX1B
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838
    JackW said:

Louisiana - Magellan Strategies.

GOP - Trump 41 .. Carson 21 .. Rubio 15 .. Kasich 9 .. Carson 5

Dem - Clinton 61 .. Sanders 14

http://thehayride.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/LA-PRESPRIM-030116-TOPLINES.pdf

Handy. I found no recent LA polls on RCP.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Sixty one percent of Trump voters strongly agree that they “are mad as hell and they won’t take it anymore.”

Hehe. So 39 percent are chill.
  • Options

pbr2013 said:

Because he was neither...11.1K tweets is how he fills his time...
    With just over 450 followers, most of which are probably on this board :D
  • Options
    AlasdairAlasdair Posts: 72
    MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

and it costs more.

Some 787s are already in service. My wife, who dreads flying, flew to Calgary in one and was full of praise for BA and the aircraft.
  • Options
    Having the whole Schengen area contribute to securing its external border would be a great step forward.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,967
    JackW said:

Michigan - Fox2 Detroit/Mitchell

GOP - Trump 39 .. Rubio 19 .. Carson 14 .. Kasich 12 .. Carson 9

Dem - Clinton 61 .. Sanders 33

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/docs/2016/Mitchell_Poll_FOX_2_GOP_Primary_3-2-16.pdf

Jack, what odds can I get on President Trump appointing Sarah Palin to SCOTUS?
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    I missed this gem.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/Jeremy_Corbyn/12174979/Jeremy-Corbyn-is-playing-student-politics-over-Trident-GMB-union-warns.html
    One of the biggest unions in the country has taken aim at the Labour leader over his anti-Trident views, accusing him being a 'professional poser'

Jeremy Corbyn and anti-Trident members of his shadow Cabinet are "professional posers" who are playing student politics while sipping lattes in Islington, one of Britain's biggest unions has warned ahead of Labour leader's CND address.
    Seems to be a bit of buyer's remorse amongst the brothers and sisters.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Cracking piece from Allister Heath

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/eureferendum/12181449/The-EU-Inners-will-regret-turning-Project-Fear-into-Project-White-Flag.html
    But the Government and many of its anti-Brexit allies have gone too far: instead of carefully stoking the public’s understandable fear of change, and planting doubt in its mind, they have decided to wildly exaggerate the downsides of leaving.

The hit to the economy could be greater than that from the Great Recession, we are told by some hysterical economists, and even that best-selling children’s books would no longer be written because, apparently, no non-British authors or illustrators would be allowed into the UK if we were not part of the EU.

... Even worse for the Government, it has also allowed a toxic narrative to set in: the idea that it would be powerless to stand up for Britain’s interests and look after our economy in the event of a Leave vote.
This discussion has been closed.