Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Trump and Clinton have double digit leads in first post deb

Comments

• Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492

Are you some sort of idiot? Do you really think that anybody is going to cast a vote based on what I say on here?

You mean....what we write here...it's all pointless?

* bottom lip begins to wobble....eyes get all watery....*
    No Mr Marquee, let me explain.

If you're a card carrying Cameroon Europhile you're a right on good guy. Suggest (as I have been for ages) that underneath the spin he is completely vacuous you invite opprobrium and abuse. Of course, to respond is against the rules.

Cameron's loyalists on here tend to be impressionable young men, I was one of those once.

PS I did chuckle at your post, some on here take themselves so seriously
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    To paraphrase Alex Salmond's, "What are they going to do? Invade?" during SIndy, what are the French and Germans going to do if we leave, refuse to sell us wine and BMW's?
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838
    edited February 2016

Wanderer said:

Incidentally I also "feel European" but that doesn't lead me to having negative feelings about the UK. On the contrary it's my favourite European country.

I sometimes think the basic divide in politics is between the woe-is-us-everything-is-shit brigade (on left and right) and sensibly optimisitic people.

Yes, I think that's right. A lot of people on the fringes of politics adopt outrageous positions in reaction to other people's outrageous positions (our own SeanT is not immune to it), so people who are anti-nationalist sometimes portray themselves as (and for all I know actually are) actively hostile to Britain.

I'm pretty much in your camp. I'm not sure I have a favourite European country, but although I like the lifestyle in Norway I do feel more at home here, and think there are plenty of ways that we shine, without being quite as different from everyone else as we like to think.
    I don't really know Norway. I spent some time in Denmark and liked it very much.

But like you I feel at home here. Also, we are beyond lucky to have been born in a prosperous, politically stable and free country. Plus I'm taken by surprise by what a beautiful country this is. Even just travelling by train around the South East I find myself looking out of the window and thinking - my God, this place is OK.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

We vote out and:

1. We pull the plug on the EU project.

2. We shove it to the Eurocrats like Juncker.

3. We'll get the most amazing outpoaring of anguish from leftie luvvies like Ms Thompson and Eddie Izzard.

4. Polly Toynbee might just go and live in her Tuskan Villa forever.

5. Scotland might B8gger off as well.

Are there any downsides really?

As a kipper I was at odds with Ukip's position on Scottish independence, I wanted them to have it in the same way we want to stand on our own two feet.

It's about mindset, being a hunter not a gatherer, telling the world we're here to trade with everybody, bring it on.

Mealy mouthed politicians have never traded with anybody, they're clueless and self serving.
    Exactly my view as well.
  • Options

Are you some sort of idiot? Do you really think that anybody is going to cast a vote based on what I say on here?

If you're a card carrying Cameroon Europhile you're a right on good guy. Suggest (as I have been for ages) that underneath the spin he is completely vacuous you invite opprobrium and abuse. Of course, to respond is against the rules.

Cameron's loyalists on here tend to be impressionable young men, I was one of those once.

It's hard to think how much more vacuus and ampty you could become.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,381

It really does have nothing to do with the Commonwealth.

There's still a nostalgic "out" view that says that if we withdrew we could have lots of trade with Australia, Canada etc. - I had an email from a former constituent this morning saying he was voting "Leave" for that reason. I think he's deluded - rightly or wrongly, the world has moved on - but it may still be a factor for some.

In general the inclusions and exclusions from the franchise are a historical accident which someone should have a look at one day, but like all these things they're hard to change. Personally I think paying tax and living in the UK for several years should be the criterion, but I can see arguments for restricting it to citizens.
  • Options

It's hard to think how much more vacuus and ampty you could become.
    Oh I don't know. Your brain cavity does a good impression.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

chestnut said:

The ABs, graduates and students, London and the south-east are the core constituencies for Remain.

How much of London is actually eligible to vote?

In the past month I have encountered Greeks, Moroccan Spaniards, Dutch Pakistanis, Greek Bangladeshis, Swedes, Australians, Vietnamese, Egyptians, Italian Bangladeshis and Bulgarians in the course of my work in both North and East London.

Most of the UK passport holders have been 55+ and very affluent and markedly different to the majority of non-British citizens who seem most prevalent in London.

I have listened to Afghani's complaining about Eastern Europeans undercutting their minicab wages.

Commonwealth and Irish citizens can vote, but not non-UK Europeans - see e.g. http://www.britishinfluence.org/the_referendum_who_can_and_can_t_vote
    Thanks.

There are vast hordes of people in London who will be barred from voting then.

Again, I wonder how much attention the pollsters are paying to this.
    Why not put a number on it then
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    NBC News Poll - Nationwide

Trump 38%
    Cruz 18%
    Rubio 14%
    Carson 8%
    Kasich 7%
    Bush 4%
  • Options

There's still a nostalgic "out" view that says that if we withdrew we could have lots of trade with Australia, Canada etc. - I had an email from a former constituent this morning saying he was voting "Leave" for that reason. I think he's deluded - rightly or wrongly, the world has moved on - but it may still be a factor for some.

In general the inclusions and exclusions from the franchise are a historical accident which someone should have a look at one day, but like all these things they're hard to change. Personally I think paying tax and living in the UK for several years should be the criterion, but I can see arguments for restricting it to citizens.
    I would have thought modern travel, cheap phone calls, internet videoconferencing etc has meant world has move in making long distance trade more easy, not less.

Agree that Commonwealth voting is weird hangup from empire we need to get over.

• Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

GIN1138 said:

We vote out and:

1. We pull the plug on the EU project.

2. We shove it to the Eurocrats like Juncker.

3. We'll get the most amazing outpoaring of anguish from leftie luvvies like Ms Thompson and Eddie Izzard.

4. Polly Toynbee might just go and live in her Tuskan Villa forever.

5. Scotland might B8gger off as well.

Are there any downsides really?

Yes.

I'll still be here.

Put that - as my Tory mother used to say - in your pipe and smoke it.

I don't see you still being here as a downside, Mr. Abroad.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,975
    Morning all :)

Back slightly more on topic, the above polls are interesting. On the GOP side, it's poor for Cruz who I thought would be the clear second to Trump in SC and very good for Rubio who was last week's busted flush after that awful debate performance. I wonder if this is the post-IA momentum finally reaching SC.

Very poor also for Jeb Bush who would be finished if he trailed in with Carson at the rear of the field.Oddly enough, Bush wasn't too bad on Saturday but it might be a case of too little and too late.

The Dem side is interesting too - I saw one poll on Fox News putting Hillary 65-27 in front of Bernie but this suggests Bernie's spending and the debate have had an impact and as the Dem race is proportional, the better Bernie polls the more delegates he gets and he might get a further bounce if he wins NV on Saturday. This is crunch time for Hillary - IF she loses NV and wins SC well, fair enough - if she wins both, that's probably the nomination secured but if she loses both, it will be a real challenge for her.
  • Options

You pick out Australia and Canada and miss out the US, Brazil, India and China. The point you are ignoring is that our trade with the EU is continually falling year after year as a percentage of our overall trade whilst trade with the rest of the world continues to increase and would jump significantly if we were not bound by the idiotic restrictions placed on external trade by the EU.

Making this seem like a longing for past glories ignores the fact that the future of UK trade is increasingly with the rest of the world, not with the EU.
  • Options
    Just received this from GO:

Grassroots Out Rally - Friday 19th February

VENUE: QUEEN ELIZABETH II CENTRE, BROAD SANCTUARY, WESTMINSTER, LONDON SW1P 3EE.
    DOORS OPEN: 17.30 | START: 19.00 | END: 21.00

SPEAKERS INCLUDE: Nigel Farage MEP, Kate Hoey MP, David Davis MP, Tom Pursglove MP, Peter Bone MP, Ruth Lea – Economic Commentator, Sir Bill Cash MP and David Campbell Bannerman MEP as well as additional surprise speakers.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,033
    edited February 2016

Put that - as my Tory mother used to say - in your pipe and smoke it.

:smiley:
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Tempers worsening on pb.

And there's FOUR MORE MONTHS of this. At least.

I agree 100%. I'm wondering what the odds are (it is, supposedly, a betting site after all) on OGH getting so hacked off that the pulls the plug on the site..

• Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838
    edited February 2016

Just received this from GO:

Grassroots Out Rally - Friday 19th February

VENUE: QUEEN ELIZABETH II CENTRE, BROAD SANCTUARY, WESTMINSTER, LONDON SW1P 3EE.
    DOORS OPEN: 17.30 | START: 19.00 | END: 21.00

SPEAKERS INCLUDE: Nigel Farage MEP, Kate Hoey MP, David Davis MP, Tom Pursglove MP, Peter Bone MP, Ruth Lea – Economic Commentator, Sir Bill Cash MP and David Campbell Bannerman MEP as well as additional surprise speakers.

This GO is not the Chancellor of the Exchequer is it?
  • Options
    Mr. Abroad, low. It survived two years of independence talk. And almost a decade of Mr. Eagles' lamentable failure to grasp the most basic aspects of classical history.
  • Options

Trump 38%
    Cruz 18%
    Rubio 14%
    Carson 8%
    Kasich 7%
    Bush 4%

Oh boy, poor Bush.
  • Options

John_M said:

SeanT said:

Brexit would be "disastrous" for German car makers, says the head of the German automobile industry.

"Britain is our biggest export market"

http://www.boerse-frankfurt.de/nachrichten/aktien/Autoverbands-Chef-Wissmann-warnt-vor-Brexit-166365

This is the leverage Cameron had, and he's used it to get... nothing.

This is Chicken Little stuff from the krauts. Honestly, people can't seem to deal with the prospect of change. What, precisely, is going to deter Brits from buying VW etc? It's not like the dealer networks are all going to be sucked down to the bowels of Hell if we vote 'Leave'.
    What will deter Britains from buying Volkeswagen would be a 20% import tax.
    Do you have any concept of the importance of our own car industry to our economy? Do you really think we could win a trade war with the EU if that's what you are suggesting.
    If we leave the EU we would join the EEA and our terms would probably be worse than the ones obtainable under the renegotiations. In short very little different from now.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    SeanT said:

Tempers worsening on pb.

I'm not that fussed either way really but it would be funny seeing the political class and Twitterati going into complete meltdown if we did vote OUT.

I mean, personally I'll be voting out because I've always been eurosceptic but I've also voted Con in the two past elections (rather than UKIP) because I recognize there are more important issues.

But if we did vote to LEAVE it would be like throwing a grenade into the entire political class and then standing back to watch the fall out. :smiley:
  • Options

SeanT said:

Tempers worsening on pb.

I agree 100%. I'm wondering what the odds are (it is, supposedly, a betting site after all) on OGH getting so hacked off that the pulls the plug on the site..

If OGH can survive the wrath of NATS for months on end he can survive the BOO'ers. ;)
  • Options
    I see a rabbit appearing from a hat

@GuyVerhofstadt: If Britain doesn't want to be part of further political integration of EU, let's respect & recognise this fact in the treaties #UKinEU
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,483
    edited February 2016
    Franco Must Fall

'Erasing Franco's memory one street at a time'

http://tinyurl.com/h33lrgu
  • Options
    Hmm

Guy Verhofstadt
    If Britain doesn't want to be part of further political integration of EU, let's respect & recognise this fact in the treaties #UKinEU
  • Options
    "President Donald Trump knows how to make America great. Deal from strength or get crushed every time."
  • Options

chestnut said:

chestnut said:

The ABs, graduates and students, London and the south-east are the core constituencies for Remain.

How much of London is actually eligible to vote?

In the past month I have encountered Greeks, Moroccan Spaniards, Dutch Pakistanis, Greek Bangladeshis, Swedes, Australians, Vietnamese, Egyptians, Italian Bangladeshis and Bulgarians in the course of my work in both North and East London.

Most of the UK passport holders have been 55+ and very affluent and markedly different to the majority of non-British citizens who seem most prevalent in London.

I have listened to Afghani's complaining about Eastern Europeans undercutting their minicab wages.

Commonwealth and Irish citizens can vote, but not non-UK Europeans - see e.g. http://www.britishinfluence.org/the_referendum_who_can_and_can_t_vote
    Thanks.

There are vast hordes of people in London who will be barred from voting then.

Again, I wonder how much attention the pollsters are paying to this.
    Why not put a number on it then
    Based on where I've worked and the citizenship documents I've seen I'd guess anywhere between 10-25% of the population of North and East London.

Now you can have a go.
  • Options
    edited February 2016

Trump 38%
    Cruz 18%
    Rubio 14%
    Carson 8%
    Kasich 7%
    Bush 4%

Oh boy, poor Bush.
    Don't know why he's bothering. I assume people have had it with the Bush family. They must be pretty toxic after Dubya presided over Iraq and then the worst financial crash since the Great Depression...

It's not exactly a great record is it? ;)
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,975

Trump 38%
    Cruz 18%
    Rubio 14%
    Carson 8%
    Kasich 7%
    Bush 4%

Thank you for this. Better for Cruz suggesting the earlier Rubio number might be an outlier but with the Donald seemingly coasting to a convincing victory though I do think his actual number may be slightly lower than the polls as it was in IA and NH.

Kasich might feel other states will be more helpful to him but this would be awful for Jeb as has already been suggested.

Would be nice to see some NV polls.

• Options

@GuyVerhofstadt: If Britain doesn't want to be part of further political integration of EU, let's respect & recognise this fact in the treaties #UKinEU

Meaningless if we can be signed up for things like banking union through Council and Parliament.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,064

Trump 38%
    Cruz 18%
    Rubio 14%
    Carson 8%
    Kasich 7%
    Bush 4%

Oh boy, poor Bush.
    I watched some of his event the other night, Dubya was on good form as a warm up - but tuned out when Jeb came on.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Tempers worsening on pb.

You're correct SeanT, the mood of Leavers is increasingly calm, Remainers however..........
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,924

Guy Verhofstadt as dependable as Peter Mandelson crossing his fingers at a tell a whopper competition
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    It's getting retweeted a lot, is it new?

ComRes phone poll for ITVNews: Remain 54% -6, Leave 46% +6 Excl don't knows https://t.co/BS3FWQqM1J
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

SeanT said:

Tempers worsening on pb.

I'm not that fussed either way really but it would be funny seeing the political class and Twitterati going into complete meltdown if we did vote OUT.

I mean, personally I'll be voting out because I've always been eurosceptic but I've also voted Con in the two past elections (rather than UKIP) because I recognize there are more important issues.

But if we did vote to LEAVE it would be like throwing a grenade into the entire political class and then standing back to watch the fall out. :smiley:
    Well quite, pb tories blubbing alongside Guardianistas would be a sight to behold.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,217
    edited February 2016

Now into my seventh decade (as I believe is Dr Nabavi), I never thought being labelled an impressionable young man would cross anyone's lips again. Blackburn63 is, in fact, 93 and has problems with drooling.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

SeanT said:

Tempers worsening on pb.

If OGH can survive the wrath of NATS for months on end he can survive the BOO'ers. ;)
    Months? It was YEARS! (And felt longer.....)
  • Options
    Rubio is an odd one, if he finishes 2nd in South Carolina he'll shorten. He could also shorten if Jeb goes out the race (As looks likely).

He's too short already, but he'll probably go shorter. I've got him pretty much neutral right now.
  • Options
    edited February 2016

If we leave the EU we would join the EEA and our terms would probably be worse than the ones obtainable under the renegotiations. In short very little different from now.

Unless they wish to cut off their nose to spite their face there is unlikely to be any trade restriction.

They make a profit from us.
  • Options

Guy Verhofstadt as dependable as Peter Mandelson crossing his fingers at a tell a whopper competition
    I love the Belgians. They gave us the D'Hondt PR, which is nearly as awesome as AV.

Huzzah for all things from Belgium.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Trump 38%
    Cruz 18%
    Rubio 14%
    Carson 8%
    Kasich 7%
    Bush 4%

Oh boy, poor Bush.
    Don't know why he's bothering. I assume people have had it with the Bush family. They must be pretty toxic after Dubya presided over Iraq and then the worst financial crash since the Great Depression...

If I had the cash, I'd be laying all the Bush I can get my hands on.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Sean_F said:

Wanderer said:

Incidentally I also "feel European" but that doesn't lead me to having negative feelings about the UK. On the contrary it's my favourite European country.

I sometimes think the basic divide in politics is between the woe-is-us-everything-is-shit brigade (on left and right) and sensibly optimisitic people.

Yes, I think that's right. A lot of people on the fringes of politics adopt outrageous positions in reaction to other people's outrageous positions (our own SeanT is not immune to it), so people who are anti-nationalist sometimes portray themselves as (and for all I know actually are) actively hostile to Britain.

I'm pretty much in your camp. I'm not sure I have a favourite European country, but although I like the lifestyle in Norway I do feel more at home here, and think there are plenty of ways that we shine, without being quite as different from everyone else as we like to think.
    If I were to emigrate, it would probably be to somewhere on the Adriatic.
    Mr Palmer's post stuck a cord with me. The other evening Herself and I were again talking about moving and where we might move to as Sussex is becoming too awful. The choice quickly boiled down to the Southern part of the Netherlands or somewhere around Coimbra in Portugal, both places where we feel comfortable and at home.

It is all a bit odd because both countries are firmly bound up with the EU project and I am, and have been for decades, firmly of the belief that the EU is a bad thing and the UK would be much better of out of it.
  • Options
    edited February 2016

GIN1138 said:

SeanT said:

Tempers worsening on pb.

Months? It was YEARS! (And felt longer.....)
    :smiley:
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Trump 38%
    Cruz 18%
    Rubio 14%
    Carson 8%
    Kasich 7%
    Bush 4%

Oh boy, poor Bush.

Mind it's the same record the Labour Party is currently dealing with...
  • Options

You pick out Australia and Canada and miss out the US, Brazil, India and China. The point you are ignoring is that our trade with the EU is continually falling year after year as a percentage of our overall trade whilst trade with the rest of the world continues to increase and would jump significantly if we were not bound by the idiotic restrictions placed on external trade by the EU.

Making this seem like a longing for past glories ignores the fact that the future of UK trade is increasingly with the rest of the world, not with the EU.
    Are you suggesting that Germany does not trade with the USA Canada Brazil China and India? What kind of tom fool comments are you coming out with now. BMW X5s are made in America. Every 3 and 4 cylinder engine that BMW puts in its cars that it sells world wide are made in Birmingham. Warwickshire, not Alabama by the way.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,642

again, let's use the banking union issue as an analogy. As of the most recent text, it was never suggested that non-EZ countries would have to sign up. Then there is a fuss that we might have to sign up (never a possibility IMO) and now we are back to the status quo ante of us not having to sign up.

So politically, we are exactly where we started but I suspect it will be portrayed as a huge gain and Cam will shout it loud.

All it shows is that we really never should have had the negotiations.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,972
    edited February 2016
    What we really need is JackW's Arse on the EURef.

His previous prediction was the UK will never vote to leave the EU whilst Dave is PM.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Trump 38%
    Cruz 18%
    Rubio 14%
    Carson 8%
    Kasich 7%
    Bush 4%

Oh boy, poor Bush.

My max reds are Bush, Sanders & Bloomberg.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,924

I love the Belgians. They gave us the D'Hondt PR, which is nearly as awesome as AV.

Belgium is one of our less good ideas, I blame Lord Castlereagh.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Trump 38%
    Cruz 18%
    Rubio 14%
    Carson 8%
    Kasich 7%
    Bush 4%

Oh boy, poor Bush.

I need to get my mind out of the gutter.
  • Options

Are you suggesting that Germany does not trade with the USA Canada Brazil China and India? What kind of tom fool comments are you coming out with now. BMW X5s are made in America. Every 3 and 4 cylinder engine that BMW puts in its cars that it sells world wide are made in Birmingham. Warwickshire, not Alabama by the way.
    I think point is that trade deals could mean we do even more trade with them. Same argument you make for staying in EU.
  • Options

How do we know it's nearly as awesome given the paucity of threads on the matter?
  • Options

What we really need is JackW's Arse on the EURef.

His previous prediction was the UK will never vote to leave the EU whilst Dave is PM.

I don't think the Old Rascal has been on since Christmas has he? (Yes I have been tuning in even if I haven't posted much)

He is part of the EUPhile establishment of course so I'm sure his ARSE would say UKWNLTEU
  • Options

Belgium is one of our less good ideas, I blame Lord Castlereagh.
    De Gaulle thought we created Belgium to get up the nose of the French, so I say it is one of best ideas ever.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,434
    edited February 2016

In a historic period in which the BRIC (minus Russia) economies are experiencing rapid growth and integrating with the global economy, their percentage of overall trade will inevitably increase. This says absolutely nothing about the ongoing importance of anchoring our economic links within our own continent.
  • Options
    Cameron pulling out of meeting with European parliament because he's running scared of Farage is terrible optics.
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    'If we leave the EU we would join the EEA and our terms would probably be worse than the ones obtainable under the renegotiations. In short very little different from now.'

More wild, unsupported assertions...really desperate stuff.
  • Options

How do we know it's nearly as awesome given the paucity of threads on the matter?
    I've got a thread on it coming up. Looking at the various electoral voting systems being used in this May's elections.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Trump 38%
    Cruz 18%
    Rubio 14%
    Carson 8%
    Kasich 7%
    Bush 4%

Oh boy, poor Bush.

That's given me the biggest laugh of this morning as I thought exactly the same thing.
  • Options

Cameron pulling out of meeting with European parliament because he's running scared of Farage is terrible optics.

I heard the same nonsense in 2014 and 2015.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Trump 38%
    Cruz 18%
    Rubio 14%
    Carson 8%
    Kasich 7%
    Bush 4%

Oh boy, poor Bush.

Too late for me.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,083
    I see that Tom O'Carroll, former head of Paedophile Information Exchange, has joined the Labour Party, according to the Times.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,641
    rcs1000 said:

@DavudL, @Indigo, if either of you wants a bet on the change in the spread between German and Spanish bonds on a six month view, I'm Yo for it

I don't think even the Germans will be daft enough to go for this bail in idea so I am not up for the bet.
  • Options
    Does Steve Coogan etc know who they have got into bed with at hacked off?

http://order-order.com/2016/02/16/labour-suspends-pie-hacked-off-campaigner/
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

I see that Tom O'Carroll, former head of Paedophile Information Exchange, has joined the Labour Party, according to the Times.

I posted that last night.

My jaw is still on the floor

https://twitter.com/TSEofPB/status/699366188435050496
  • Options
    edited February 2016

GIN1138 said:

Trump 38%
    Cruz 18%
    Rubio 14%
    Carson 8%
    Kasich 7%
    Bush 4%

Oh boy, poor Bush.

Current implied odds

Rubio 2.11
    Trump 2.88
    Cruz 3.48
    Bush 2.86
    Kasich 2.48

Overall POTUS/ GOP book assuming POTUS laid up at those odds.
    Rubio +14.53
    Trump +563.59
    Cruz +598.46
    Bush -1007.15
    Kasich +1541.45
    Carson -308.36
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    'The UK cannot reform the EU in the way it wants because that is not what the rest of the EU want. They never have done and they never will. '

Indeed. There was at least an argument years ago that as we had a veto we could stop the EU developing in ways that threatened British interests. It was a nasty wrecking sort of argument but it was valid.

But then we gave the vetoes away, so even this grotty second-best argument is in the dustbin now. They have their own vision, we have ours - it's time to stop pretending we can square the two.
  • Options
    ICM
    Are the public sure of their responses? We used IRT to find out. Read this on your lunch break! https://t.co/rec1ZyJ6au #TuesdayTreat
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Trump 38%
    Cruz 18%
    Rubio 14%
    Carson 8%
    Kasich 7%
    Bush 4%

Oh boy, poor Bush.

That's given me the biggest laugh of this morning as I thought exactly the same thing.
    I went to an all boys school. That's my excuse.
  • Options

I think point is that trade deals could mean we do even more trade with them. Same argument you make for staying in EU.
    Isn't that what TTIP is about?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269

Sean_F said:

Wanderer said:

Mr Palmer's post stuck a cord with me. The other evening Herself and I were again talking about moving and where we might move to as Sussex is becoming too awful. The choice quickly boiled down to the Southern part of the Netherlands or somewhere around Coimbra in Portugal, both places where we feel comfortable and at home.

It is all a bit odd because both countries are firmly bound up with the EU project and I am, and have been for decades, firmly of the belief that the EU is a bad thing and the UK would be much better of out of it.
    I was in East Sussex recently and thought it really quite lovely. What is it about your bit of Sussex that is now so awful, Mr Llama?

• Options

That only covers USA and trade talks have stalled due to French agriculture concerns.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Trump 38%
    Cruz 18%
    Rubio 14%
    Carson 8%
    Kasich 7%
    Bush 4%

Oh boy, poor Bush.

I'm red on Bush and Sanders and very red on Rubio too.

Not sure whether to moderate that or not.
  • Options
    And just been suspended.

A fantastic newscycle story
    Sean_F said:

• Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    I repeat.. 57% will vote for leave..
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

And been suspended, when some of the few sensible Labour MPs left (yes, there are some) raised merry hell.

There's some rule preventing them from expelling him pdq - though frankly I'd take whatever legal risk they might run.

• Options
    On topic, I've started to back Trump for the Presidency.

I think I need to say a million Hail Marys to gain absolution.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Sean_F said:

Wanderer said:

You constantly eulogise Sussex - and fair enough, it's a beautiful county, in parts

What's happened to make it "awful"?!
    Sussex is still a beautiful County, in parts, however its population is increasing very rapidly and by a very large measure but without a commensurate increase in essential infrastructure (transport and health especially). As a result the quality of life is declining below a level we feel acceptable. Hence it is time for us to move.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,434
    runnymede said:

'The UK cannot reform the EU in the way it wants because that is not what the rest of the EU want. They never have done and they never will. '

Indeed. There was at least an argument years ago that as we had a veto we could stop the EU developing in ways that threatened British interests. It was a nasty wrecking sort of argument but it was valid.

But then we gave the vetoes away, so even this grotty second-best argument is in the dustbin now. They have their own vision, we have ours - it's time to stop pretending we can square the two.

You could make exactly the same argument to advocate giving up on politics altogether. It's a weak-minded approach to the world.

"The [insert faction of choice] cannot reform the UK in the way they want because that is not what the rest of the UK wants. They never have done and they never will."
  • Options
    edited February 2016

GIN1138 said:

Trump 38%
    Cruz 18%
    Rubio 14%
    Carson 8%
    Kasich 7%
    Bush 4%

Oh boy, poor Bush.

You're probably fine, but be prepared for some squeaky bum time with Sanders and Rubio potentially.

I'm red the Democrats, but thats due to a dutch republican strategy in the POTUS market which I should be able to reverse/unwind in time.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,491
    edited February 2016
    On matters European, the Irish election (the weekend after next) is heading for an interesting (!) result:

https://twitter.com/EuropeElects/status/699564573209198592

FG-FF coalition?
  • Options

That only covers USA and trade talks have stalled due to French agriculture concerns.
    The French being protectionist again. A disadvantage for their consumers and businesses.
  • Options

He defies normal political rules, and he might very well win.

But, Corbyn defies normal political rules, and will crash and burn if he's still there in 2020.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    edited February 2016

If you do that maybe he'll let you into the USA.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

GIN1138 said:

Trump 38%
    Cruz 18%
    Rubio 14%
    Carson 8%
    Kasich 7%
    Bush 4%

Oh boy, poor Bush.

You're probably fine, but be prepared for some squeaky bum time with Sanders and Rubio potentially.

I'm red the Democrats, but thats due to a dutch republican strategy in the POTUS market which I should be able to reverse/unwind in time.
    I remain on Rubio and Bush. There's still time for a turn around.
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited February 2016

SeanT said:

Sean_F said:

Wanderer said:

You constantly eulogise Sussex - and fair enough, it's a beautiful county, in parts

Sussex is still a beautiful County, in parts, however its population is increasing very rapidly and by a very large measure but without a commensurate increase in essential infrastructure (transport and health especially). As a result the quality of life is declining below a level we feel acceptable. Hence it is time for us to move.
    Traffic is rapidly increasing in the South as we return to a more normal level of economic activity and we have population growth.
    Problem was that in the Labour years road building virtually stopped and Prescott even boasted that he would halve the use of cars. He almost did when we had the economic depression.
  • Options

At least.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Sean_F said:

And been suspended, when some of the few sensible Labour MPs left (yes, there are some) raised merry hell.

There's some rule preventing them from expelling him pdq - though frankly I'd take whatever legal risk they might run.

They'd be stupid not to follow procedure. A legal challenge forcing them to take him back would look even worse. The worst of damage is already done though.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

GIN1138 said:

Trump 38%
    Cruz 18%
    Rubio 14%
    Carson 8%
    Kasich 7%
    Bush 4%

Oh boy, poor Bush.

The "establishment" candidate surely is Rubio now.

If Bush polls below Carson in South Carolina, that'll be a bigger failure than Liz Kendall's bid for Labour leader.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

But, Corbyn defies normal political rules, and will crash and burn if he's still there in 2020.
    It's the patriot/national security angle.

Say what you like about Trump, but no one can question his patriotism.

I will make a very bold prediction. The people of the U.K. will not make PM someone they consider unpatriotic and a threat to national security.
  • Options

I'll avoid America whilst he is POTUS. I don't fancy spending the rest of my life at Gitmo, plus orange really isn't my colour.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,684
    SeanT said:

Speigel (therefore authoritative): the EU Parliament will not guarantee Cameron's deal. So it is literally worthless

Cameron can't sell this.

http://www.spiegel.de/politik/ausland/brexit-eu-parlament-will-camerons-deal-nicht-garantieren-a-1077638.html#ref=rss

It's sad that the Spiegel has just turned into Mrs Merkel's mouthpiece over the last few years. They have almost zero independent thinking.
  • Options

SeanT said:

Sean_F said:

Wanderer said:

The Lake District is lovely...... Good pubs and restaurants and empty roads, esp if you stay away from the touristy areas. And the Ulverston Music Festival, sponsored in part by the Cyclefrees is well worth attending. Then there's the Holker Garden Festival for gardeners. The walks along the sands between Millom and Haverigg and up to St Bees are out of this world and for the brave swimming in the Duddon in summer is quite an experience.

...........*Oh God.... stares gloomily out of office window at sunshine and wonders, not for the first time, what the hell I'm doing here....*

• Options
    By having several competing bodies, the successful LEAVE campaign is demonstrating the benefits of competition compared with the failing monopolistic REMAIN campaign.

So the LEAVE campaign reflects the UK position in the EU - for companies in one EU country to compete with companies in other EU countries. Whilst the REMAIN campaign reflects the French protectionist position of having a single state sponsored competitor at the expense of consumers and businesses.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,265

Cyclefree said:

Sean_F said:

They'd be stupid not to follow procedure. A legal challenge forcing them to take him back would look even worse. The worst of damage is already done though.
    Do political parties do due diligence on membership applications? I wouldn't have known who this guy was and I'd like to know how it comes to light (unless he's shouting it from the rooftops that Labour let him in).
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

GIN1138 said:

Trump 38%
    Cruz 18%
    Rubio 14%
    Carson 8%
    Kasich 7%
    Bush 4%

Oh boy, poor Bush.

The "establishment" candidate surely is Rubio now.

If Bush polls below Carson in South Carolina, that'll be a bigger failure than Liz Kendall's bid for Labour leader.
    His team think he is pumped up for it:

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/02/marco-rubio-south-carolina-219310
  • Options
    Want to nerdify your kids?

Visit Parliament
    A 30 second preview of what you can see on a tour of the Houses of Parliament this week #halftermlondon. https://t.co/663PyyGOG2
  • Options

Sean_F said:

It's the patriot/national security angle.

Say what you like about Trump, but no one can question his patriotism.

I will make a very bold prediction. The people of the U.K. will not make PM someone they consider unpatriotic and a threat to national security.
    Corbyn leaves no stone unturned in his determination to make voters believe that he is not a patriot, and that he is a threat to national security.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Sean_F said:

There are some legal cases worth fighting. I would hope that the Labour party rulebook has some general rule about not bringing the party into disrepute or similar. They need to be seen unequivocally not on the side of paedophiles, though as you say they have already suffered the damage.

• Options

orange really isn't my colour.
    Unlike the Donald.
This discussion has been closed.