Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The EURef betting moves a notch to REMAIN following the lat

SystemSystem Posts: 11,687
edited February 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The EURef betting moves a notch to REMAIN following the latest from Tusk

The EU renegotiation would make Britain even stronger, with a 'red card' on EU laws & important reforms on benefits pic.twitter.com/276E2pzlrx

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    First.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,983
    second as Rubio will eventually be...
  • Options
    Someone from Stronger In campaign said in TV earlier that Westminster could block new EU laws now. Is this true?? Fantastic win if true.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,632
    Anyone who claims that they were a floater and now back Remain on the strength of this half-baked nothingness is either a) daft or b) less than fully honest.
  • Options
    eek said:

second as Rubio will eventually be...

To who? Clinton or Trump? :-)
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838
    For me it's a question of when to bet on Leave.

I think the answer is after a deal is agreed on 20th Feb (if, indeed, that happens).
  • Options
    Bob__SykesBob__Sykes Posts: 1,176
    Repost fpt....

So in summary then on the EU "new deal", I think the verdict will be that Cameron has secured us some concessions and a bit of wriggle room we don't currently have on free movement. Good, but not quite what he pitched for.

As for everything else, we have some platitudes and possibly helpful changes to give us a bit more leverage to not be completely screwed over going forward - but most of those platitudes are, i'm afraid to say, already there in many of the EU texts, treaties, communiques etc. And in most cases, the EU institutions just ride roughshod over them and say they have complied.

So why will things be any different going forward?

The vote, should it actually happen, boils down to "you will have the EU set up you currently have, but with a bit more scope for limiting inward migration - take it or leave it".

My fear - as an instinctive 'remainist' - is that by voting "Remain" I am not implicitly endorsing all that the EU currently does but also endorsing the "new deal". I don't want to do either.

So although I don't really want to leave the EU as such, I feel Cameron has stupidly forced me to have to vote leave - or abstain on the biggest decision facing the country in a generation.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,465
    The last 'tick' from Stronger In is quite misleading. Cameron hasn't actually negotiated 'More trade' for us has he?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

Anyone who claims that they were a floater and now back Remain on the strength of this half-baked nothingness is either a) daft or b) less than fully honest.

Dave asked for thin gruel and got a thin nettle soup.
  • Options

Someone from Stronger In campaign said in TV earlier that Westminster could block new EU laws now. Is this true?? Fantastic win if true.

No, once again it is BSE being dishonest. Westminster alone could not block new EU laws.
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    edited February 2016
    It seems to me that the Remain campaign is directed essentially at Tories, who obviously have Tory-type concerns over the EU. This is understandable in a way, since the whole referendum started out as a device to patch over splits in the Tory Party, at least on a temporary basis.

As several people have pointed out, almost everything the Remain people say pushes many people towards Leave. Just as everything the Leave people do pushes people towards Remain.

Presumably at some stage the referendum will talk about issues beyond the narrow interests of the Conservative Party.
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

No, once again it is BSE being dishonest. Westminster alone could not block new EU laws.
    Is it actually ANY change at all?
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

Are you sure? Piece in the Guardian said something similar...

I'm reading memo right now. First interesting thing is that Cameron has agreed not to stand in the way of further Euro integration, giving up future leverage.
  • Options
    Bob__SykesBob__Sykes Posts: 1,176
    What will also help Leave is that it will harness those who think the main impact of Leave is Cameron resigning. I think that helped Yes in the Indy ref.

Of course this time round, Cameron Out is achieved by voting Leave. So that may shift the Scotland figures away from Remain, for the uneducated and uncommitted. The sort of folk who pissed themselves laughing posting pig jokes on social media.

Or wishful thinking on my part...
  • Options
    PaulyPauly Posts: 897
    edited February 2016

MP_SE said:

Are you sure? Piece in the Guardian said something similar...

I'm reading memo right now. First interesting thing is that Cameron has agreed not to stand in the way of further Euro integration, giving up future leverage.
    55% of the votes allocated to member states must agree - that's 16 out of 28 at current size. I don't see that happening.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    According to Guido, Hague has just hammered Cameron's red card. And he's voting for IN!!
  • Options
    PClipp said:

It seems to me that the Remain campaign is directed esseentially at Tories, who obviously have Tory-type concerns over the EU. Thisis understandable in a way, since the whole referendum started out as a device to patch over splits in the Tory Party, at least ona temporary basis.

As several people have pointed out, almost everything the Remain people say pushes many people towards Leave. Just as everything the Leave people do pushes people towards Remain.

Presumably at some stage the referendum will talk about issues beyond thenarrow interests of the Conservative Party.

Presumably people who are not members of the Conservative Party will be doing that?
  • Options
    My lay of Trump (bet that he wouldn’t do it) in Iowa overnight has made it a nice pay day.

Well done OGH - twas a brave move, based on polling alone methinks.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    David Frum
    So what’s different in US politics this morning from yesterday morning ? (Numbered tweets follow …)

1) The Republican donor elite now has a clearer idea where to direct money - and assurance they won’t have to make their peace w Cruz.

2) Religious GOPers have at last found a candidate able to articulate their vision and make proper use of their clout.

3) The conventional metrics of politics - money & organization - continue to matter. Obvi, I know, but yesterday you heard doubts

4) On the D side: the resistance to Hillary Clinton remains strong, but …

5) Bernie Sanders is not an adequate alternative to win even Iowa, one of the (if not THE) most promising states for Clinton resistance
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    Wanderer said:

PClipp said:

It seems to me that the Remain campaign is directed esseentially at Tories, who obviously have Tory-type concerns over the EU. Thisis understandable in a way, since the whole referendum started out as a device to patch over splits in the Tory Party, at least ona temporary basis.

Presumably at some stage the referendum will talk about issues beyond thenarrow interests of the Conservative Party.

Presumably people who are not members of the Conservative Party will be doing that?
    I have no interest in spending time and money in order to rescue Cameron from his inept handling of the Conservative Party, Mr Wanderer.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    OGH said:

LEAVE’s biggest problem is that so far it has not painted a convincing picture of what being out would look like – the same weakness as the SNP in the 2014 IndyRef.

Christ on a bike. LEAVE can't paint this sort of picture because its not within their gift. It's up to the government of the day having been requested to leave by the population to arrange it in the most expeditious way. It doesn't matter two hoots what sort of post-EU world the LEAVE campaign dreams up and tries to sell to the electorate, because they don't get to decide!

Incidentally has anyone seen REMAIN paint any sort of picture about that a post-Remain vote EU will look like, because the answer definitely isn't "just like now".... Ever.Closer.Union, it doesn't matter what the agreement says, we will still be under the jurisdiction of the ECJ which has explicitly as part of its mandate and founding principles, furthering the depth and breadth of the union.
  • Options

No.

• Options
    FPT:

*Betting Post*

If May does declare for Leave I expect her odds to come in rapidly and supersede Boris as 2nd favourite for next PM after Osborne and next Tory leader.

So I think now is the time to back her.

You can get her at 10/1 for next PM on Betfair.

DYOR as PfP always says.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,314
    fpt

[the fact that most EU immigrants come to work or study]

Leading to a potential scenario of Remain followed by no change in the number of EU immigrants. What is Lab's position on it all? Presumably Jezza (will it be he?) won't lead off on all these bl**din' immigrants.

I think most people are scratching their heads because although it is a nudge, for the reason you state, benefits restriction wouldn't necessarily affect immigration numbers.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,946
    This agreement is not good enough, I'm afraid.

As instinctive as it is to support the leader of my party, I cannot. Unless he swings around and campaigns for Leave.

I'll be voting leave in June, by the looks of it.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    I've listened to all of Cameron's speech. He's very good, but the content is zip.

No amount of great delivery makes up for a lack of substantial red meat.

I'd like to have been surprised and convinced as a Party bod.

• Options

FPT:

*Betting Post*

If May does declare for Leave I expect her odds to come in rapidly and supersede Boris as 2nd favourite for next PM after Osborne and next Tory leader.

DYOR as PfP always says.

Good value I reckon, especially if Boris keeps dithering. I've been on May since 2013 at 10.

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    "Boris Johnson today blew Tory divisions over David Cameron’s European Union renegotiation into the open, claiming concessions won from Brussels were “not enough” to take to a referendum. The mayor of London, tipped as a leading contender to succeed Mr Cameron in Downing Street, spoke out against a proposed “red card” system for vetoing EU policies that would be handed to the British parliament under the terms of a deal. Mr Johnson said there was “much, much more that needs to be done” on European reform ahead of the draft deal being unveiled."

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/
  • Options
    ''According to Guido, Hague has just hammered Cameron's red card. And he's voting for IN!! ''

Strike that, Guido has a Hague quote from 2008......Apols
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    TOPPING said:

fpt

Leading to a potential scenario of Remain followed by no change in the number of EU immigrants. What is Lab's position on it all? Presumably Jezza (will it be he?) won't lead off on all these bl**din' immigrants.

I think most people are scratching their heads because although it is a nudge, for the reason you state, benefits restriction wouldn't necessarily affect immigration numbers.

Well on students if we leave the EU we could charge EU students full rates for our university system and make them pay up front. Obviously UK students who want to study in an EU nation would have the to do the same, but given that their universities aren't close to ours in terms of quality this would make a big difference to funding and to student loan delinquency rates.
  • Options
    PClipp said:

Wanderer said:

PClipp said:

I have no interest in spending time and money in order to rescue Cameron from his inept handling of the Conservative Party, Mr Wanderer.
    You've lost me there. Wasn't your point that people outside the Conservative tent are not being addressed? As it happens, I think Cameron is trying to speak to them but presumably politicians from other tents will speak to their own audience. The SNP is, to be fair.
  • Options
    edited February 2016

I've listened to all of Cameron's speech. He's very good, but the content is zip.

Sorry to be flagrantly partisan, but you've summed up his entire career. He's a (very persuasive) mouth on a pair of legs. We needed a Thatcher and we got a chubbier Nigel Havers.
  • Options
    I may be entirely wrong, but I don't give a toss what Boris & His Ego says.

He's so Me Me Me.
    AndyJS said:

"Boris Johnson today blew Tory divisions over David Cameron’s European Union renegotiation into the open, claiming concessions won from Brussels were “not enough” to take to a referendum. The mayor of London, tipped as a leading contender to succeed Mr Cameron in Downing Street, spoke out against a proposed “red card” system for vetoing EU policies that would be handed to the British parliament under the terms of a deal. Mr Johnson said there was “much, much more that needs to be done” on European reform ahead of the draft deal being unveiled."

• Options

FPT:

*Betting Post*

DYOR as PfP always says.

Good value I reckon, especially if Boris keeps dithering. I've been on May since 2013 at 10.

I've got on May as high as 15/1 and have a very nice position on her.

Unlike Rubio!
  • Options
    I think he's very likely to support Remain in the end. This is probably just politicking to keep himself in the news.

He's so Me Me Me.

AndyJS said:

• Options
    If you want a clue as to what Theresa May is thinking, head down to the newsagents and take a look at the front page of the Times.

She's not impressed.
  • Options
    There may be an unlikely scenario where Dave gets a deal he knows isn't enough and then waits for the EU to realise that we will vote to leave and offer a last minute "vow" to win it. Unlikely, but possible.
  • Options
    Out of interest, assuming a remain vote in June.

What happens when the level of immigration next year is higher than this year, despite the handbrake.

and the EU passes some laws (notably ones giving themselves competence over social security, currently waiting in the wings) and the Red Card is revealed as the sham it is.

... just as the economy turns down...
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

I think he's very likely to support Remain in the end. This is probably just politicking to keep himself in the news.

He's so Me Me Me.

AndyJS said:

Precisely. He needs to grow a pair and back Leave if he's going to. However I doubt he will; I can see the 'With a heavy heart I'm voting Remain' Spectator column now.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,946
    edited February 2016
    Wanderer said:

PClipp said:

Wanderer said:

PClipp said:

You've lost me there. Wasn't your point that people outside the Conservative tent are not being addressed? As it happens, I think Cameron is trying to speak to them but presumably politicians from other tents will speak to their own audience. The SNP is, to be fair.
    Well, given the amount of time and effort wasted on trying to get the Lib Dems onside whilst they were supposedly IN GOVERNMENT for 5 years, the Europe issue is small beer and the notion of a referendum on Europe is popular amongst the public.

Which is more than can be said for the Libs nowadays.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

He's so Me Me Me.

AndyJS said:

Laying Boris may well be a most profitable strategy for next Tory leader.

I don't see where his MP votes will come from, yet alone the membership.
  • Options
    For the record everyone, if you are ever asked by an opinion pollster your view - say leave even if it's not. It'll help our negotiating position. :D
  • Options
    I know we're in that tiny percentage who comment online, but there's a clear trend. And we aren't Kippers.

Many Tories here are saying No. And I'd rather rely on that than margin of error polls that have misled us again and again.
    Mortimer said:

As instinctive as it is to support the leader of my party, I cannot. Unless he swings around and campaigns for Leave.

• Options

FPT:

*Betting Post*

DYOR as PfP always says.

I have said this before but there is a case for her to be the favourite. Much less voter-hostile than Osborne, not seen as a gamble like Boris, probably very electable. Noticeably different style from Cameron but not a headbanger. Also the same sex as an ex-leader whose name escapes me.
  • Options

Sorry to be flagrantly partisan, but you've summed up his entire career. He's a (very persuasive) mouth on a pair of legs. We needed a Thatcher and we got a chubbier Nigel Havers.
    Thatcher signed up to the single market and free movement of labour
  • Options

If you want a clue as to what Theresa May is thinking, head down to the newsagents and take a look at the front page of the Times.

She's not impressed.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/politics/article4680230.ece

"The home secretary is demanding that Mr Cameron holds firm on tougher measures to stop the abuse of EU migration rules, raising fears in Downing Street that she could refuse to back the reform deal that he has been seeking in Brussels this week.

Mrs May, who has not ruled out heading the Brexit campaign, wants Brussels to close a back-door route into Britain that is being used by migrants from outside the EU.

The home secretary is insisting that residency restrictions imposed on the non-EU spouses and other family members of Britons should also apply to European citizens seeking to settle families in the UK."

The relevant part for those without a subscription.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,816
    FPT, but better here anyway:
    Reading the 'Draft Decision of the Heads of State' statement, I'm not entirely clear how much is restatement and making more explicit that [current EU policy is understood to give the UK what it wants anyway] and how much changes EU policy by adding new line items.

Section D on Benefits is the only one that clearly divides 'Implementation of Current EU Rules' and new proposals.

Section C on Sovereignty is simply a clarification on what ever closer union and subsidiarity are meant to mean, with the point that the EU can only have powers conferred on it by Treaties agreed by all a strong statement of fact. Point 3, the red card bit, does seem to have some substance, but my question would be how often does draft EU legislation actually overreach the powers conferred on it, so how often would this really come into play?

Section B on competitiveness seem like some woolly words declaring an intent to reduce red tape.

Section A on Euro governance also seem to restate a lot of what is already understood - my only thought would be whether the 'full reimbursement' of money taken for emergency support of the Euro from pots contributed by non-Euro members is something that already exists in some form or is it new?

Overall, it solidifies my impression of the EU, not as something which has been 'done unto us' as much Eurosceptic talk would have us believe, but something that we already participate in very largely on our own terms - if and when the EU annoys you, then the finger of blame should be directly squarely at UK governments for what they have more than willingly agreed to over the years, including entry. And the fact that the UK already sits at one side on many of the EU more crisis hit policies - the Euro, asylum/Schengen, is a testament to the ability of the UK not to agree to anything it simply doesn't want.

If the club simply doesn't do any of what you want it to achieve, no amount of flexibility will say 'remain' and that's all good. However, in terms of how the club has treated the UK as a member over the years, I cannot see the justification for any exit based simply on grievance at how the club operates.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,003
    MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

fpt

Well on students if we leave the EU we could charge EU students full rates for our university system and make them pay up front. Obviously UK students who want to study in an EU nation would have the to do the same, but given that their universities aren't close to ours in terms of quality this would make a big difference to funding and to student loan delinquency rates.
    "Their Uni’s aren’t close to ours in terms of quality”. Maastrict vs Wolverhampton?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930

FPT:

*Betting Post*

DYOR as PfP always says.

Unlike Rubio!
    12/1 on Betfair Sportsbook.. I just had £33

Vardy ew at 5s for top Prem looks a fantastic bet to me w the same firm

• Options
    Even if he's a v2 planned, I've lost trust here. I'm sticking with Leave.
    MaxPB said:

There may be an unlikely scenario where Dave gets a deal he knows isn't enough and then waits for the EU to realise that we will vote to leave and offer a last minute "vow" to win it. Unlikely, but possible.

• Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,823
    Some of you may remember a few weeks ago I listed Three Eurosceptic Fallacies and Three Eurosceptic Memes. The latter was subtitled "Eternal, Infinite, Immortal" after a line in Mass Effect 3. Since everybody here is coming out with #Meme2 and (some) with #Meme3 I'd thought I'd repost the Three Eurosceptic Memes again.

* #Meme1: The EU is an Eternal Villain. Anything good it does must be characterised as "would have happened anyway". Anything bad that happens must be blamed on it, no matter how implausibly
    * #Meme2: The EU is a Infinite Villain. The statement "I would have voted Remain if Cameron had negotiated X but he didn't so I'll vote Leave, such a pity" where X is a member of the set of all possible things
    * #Meme3: The EU is the Immortal Villain. Anything bad that might happen in a future EU must be presented as fact, no matter how improbable it is.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited February 2016
    SeanT said:

Astoundingly, Cameron has secured a "deal" with is even MORE feeble and meaningless than the meaningless, feeble "deal" we knew he'd secure

In the end there was no rabbit, there was no hat. There wasn't even a magician on stage, pretending.

And thats been generous.....
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Astoundingly, Cameron has secured a "deal" with is even MORE feeble and meaningless than the meaningless, feeble "deal" we knew he'd secure

In the end there was no rabbit, there was no hat. There wasn't even a magician on stage, pretending.

Even if we accept your first point, I'd disagree with your second. Cameron gave us a sneak preview of his campaign for May/June and it was effective. Three or four wins that sound good.

Karl Rove once said "when you're explaining, you're losing". Unless 'Out' can find a counter to his position that doesn't involve a load of detail, they'll be struggling badly.
  • Options

I know we're in that tiny percentage who comment online, but there's a clear trend. And we aren't Kippers.

Many Tories here are saying No. And I'd rather rely on that than margin of error polls that have misled us again and again.

Mortimer said:

I think that this will be the general tendency - those who are interested or very interested in politics will swing Leave; those who are not will swing Remain. The latter group is of course much larger, but less likely to turn out.
  • Options
    Pauly said:

For the record everyone, if you are ever asked by an opinion pollster your view - say leave even if it's not. It'll help our negotiating position. :D

Very good. Just re-tweeted that.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,003
    When can we get back to talking about American politics?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Yebbut are you going to put your ballot pencil where your mouth is and back Leave?

Or are you (as, to your credit, you very honestly described on here) going to be a pansy and back Remain?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Do people know anything more about American politics than they do about British?
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

FPT:

*Betting Post*

DYOR as PfP always says.

I have said this before but there is a case for her to be the favourite. Much less voter-hostile than Osborne, not seen as a gamble like Boris, probably very electable. Noticeably different style from Cameron but not a headbanger. Also the same sex as an ex-leader whose name escapes me.
    Montgomerie reckons Osborne wont even run:

http://capx.co/george-osborne-probably-wont-even-stand-to-be-the-next-tory-leader/
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Cameron's biggest weak spot with this agreement is maybe the fact that it will still be possible to export child benefits from the UK to other European countries. He's limited it but I think a lot of people would have been expecting him to stop it altogether.
  • Options

SeanT said:

Even if we accept your first point, I'd disagree with your second. Cameron gave us a sneak preview of his campaign for May/June and it was effective. Three or four wins that sound good.

Karl Rove once said "when you're explaining, you're losing". Unless 'Out' can find a counter to his position that doesn't involve a load of detail, they'll be struggling badly.
    What wins do you think Cameron has secured?
    isam said:

FPT:

*Betting Post*

DYOR as PfP always says.

Unlike Rubio!
    12/1 on Betfair Sportsbook.. I just had £33

Vardy ew at 5s for top Prem looks a fantastic bet to me w the same firm

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

FPT:

*Betting Post*

DYOR as PfP always says.

Unlike Rubio!
    Do you know what job his Dad did ?
  • Options
    @isam - thanks. Will take a look.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,314
    edited February 2016

SeanT said:

Out only needs to say "nothing's changed".

Edit: Farage is in fact saying it on R4 as I type although I appreciate that might do more harm than good.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Some of you may remember a few weeks ago I listed Three Eurosceptic Fallacies and Three Eurosceptic Memes. The latter was subtitled "Eternal, Infinite, Immortal" after a line in Mass Effect 3. Since everybody here is coming out with #Meme2 and (some) with #Meme3 I'd thought I'd repost the Three Eurosceptic Memes again.

* #Meme1: The EU is an Eternal Villain. Anything good it does must be characterised as "would have happened anyway". Anything bad that happens must be blamed on it, no matter how implausibly
    * #Meme2: The EU is a Infinite Villain. The statement "I would have voted Remain if Cameron had negotiated X but he didn't so I'll vote Leave, such a pity" where X is a member of the set of all possible things
    * #Meme3: The EU is the Immortal Villain. Anything bad that might happen in a future EU must be presented as fact, no matter how improbable it is.

The reason they got no traction last time is because they are rubbish.
  • Options

He's so Me Me Me.

AndyJS said:

He's one of the few politicians I hope will come out for LEAVE. Frankly, you can have him.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Do people know anything more about American politics than they do about British?
    I hope to win tens of thousands of pounds on the US election. I have basically no interest in the referendum from a betting perspective.

And I know all the arguments. Heck, I could write half the posters lines on here;

Flightpath: Cameron, yay! Great! Wow! Amazing job!
    Blackburn: Disgrace, migrants
    SeanT: Feeble, disastrous
    David Herdson: After much deliberation...

etc...

BORING BORING BORING
  • Options
    The fact is, we have no idea how the public at large will react to what Dave has done, because Europe is down their list of priorities.

We'll just have to wait for the polls.
  • Options
    I'd have agreed until today. The deal is so tepid that I can't see it holding any water during a campaign.

I'm feeling torn. Chuffed it's so crap and disappointed that it is so dismal. I feel sorry for pro EU sorts that their club doesn't give a shit about them. It's insulting in yer face real politick.

Mortimer said:

I think that this will be the general tendency - those who are interested or very interested in politics will swing Leave; those who are not will swing Remain. The latter group is of course much larger, but less likely to turn out.
  • Options
    Pauly said:

Cameron never had a negotiating position. All this time he's been saying he'd never recommend 'Leave' - to the point of invoking 'National security' against it. That's not negotiation.

The scary thing for me about this, is what if all these failures turn into successes - what if we get a bit more than these things? Will that then be all ok? When Cameron got elected to the leadership he was talking serious repatriation of powers. That's been whittled down to sawdust.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

SeanT said:

Dunno. I think people have grown more and more cynical over time towards British politicians pretending that they've got some great deal out of the EU. I think there's very little here, and I think the response from Conservative-supporting media will be hostile.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

viewcode said:

And yet most posts here seem to embody #Meme2. For rubbish memes, they sure seem to be popular.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    As a professional negotiator, if I had told the Board I was renegotiating a contract with our major client, and then presented this to them, they would have reached two conclusions.

1. The original deal was one the company should never have entered into.

2. I am completely shite at renegotiating.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

viewcode said:

Actually, I thought they were pretty funny.

#Meme3 is probably the most prevalent, with some posters constantly harping on about Turkey joining the EU. Something that is at least an order of magnitude (and probably two orders of magnitude) less likely than the disintegration of the EU.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

fpt

"Their Uni’s aren’t close to ours in terms of quality”. Maastrict vs Wolverhampton?
    http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2015#sorting=rank+region=+country=+faculty=+stars=false+search=

In the global top 50 we have 10 universities, the EU has 2 and they are both French, and it is 18 UK vs 17 EU in the top 100.

Our universities are better. There is no argument to be had.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

If REMAIN win it won't be anything to do with this laughable piffle. It will be be because Brits are cautious, conservative and Cameron is asking us to trust him, and many will.

'Twas always thus.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

But we have no veto on being obliged to turn up and watch the magic show...
  • Options

Pauly said:

Cameron never had a negotiating position. All this time he's been saying he'd never recommend 'Leave' - to the point of invoking 'National security' against it. That's not negotiation.

The scary thing for me about this, is what if all these failures turn into successes - what if we get a bit more than these things? Will that then be all ok? When Cameron got elected to the leadership he was talking serious repatriation of powers. That's been whittled down to sawdust.
    If leave jumps, he and the eurocrats will start panicking. That way even in the worst case scenario the federal dream will be watered down some more.
    Personally, I'm praying for a schengen collapse too sometime in the summer.
  • Options
    The "Red Card" is ridiculous. The only scenario in which it could apply is if a majority of EU governments endorsed a proposal, and a majority of EU Parliaments rejected it. How likely is it that EU governments would endorse a proposal when their legislatures were opposed to it?
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

I hope to win tens of thousands of pounds on the US election. I have basically no interest in the referendum from a betting perspective.

And I know all the arguments. Heck, I could write half the posters lines on here;

etc...

BORING BORING BORING
    It's almost as if they embody memes. Hmm. I wonder what would happen if I wrote these memes down and numbered them... ;)

Still, I'm interested in your 10K bets. Any hints/tips?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

If REMAIN win it won't be anything to do with this laughable piffle. It will be be because Brits are cautious, conservative and Cameron is asking us to trust him, and many will.

It will most of all be because the Leave side hasn't come up with a plausible alternative, other than some of them arguing for the EEA route which doesn't actually change the things that people are most concerned about.
  • Options

As a professional negotiator, if I had told the Board I was renegotiating a contract with our major client, and then presented this to them, they would have reached two conclusions.

I think you'd be looking for another job
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

etc...

BORING BORING BORING
    Haha

Richard: 'Under the circumstances, a masterstroke by Cameron - he grows in stature every day'
    Michael K: '3 million migrants are invading the chunnel, spelling out 'Alluhah Akbar' as they go (later turns out to be a twitter hoax)
    Scot T '[insert someone's tweet]'

Sorry to all, I'm only joshing.
  • Options
    I'd assume they never seriously considered our bid, and were just wasting our time.

We were just making up the numbers to cover their arses.

Like I said, insulting. It's reinforced my Leave.

• Options
    edited February 2016

SeanT said:

It will most of all be because the Leave side hasn't come up with a plausible alternative, other than some of them arguing for the EEA route which doesn't actually change the things that people are most concerned about.
    It keeps us a step further away from being in a federal europe. It makes it harder to join the euro or the banking union etc. etc. These things are worth considering for future left-wing governments that may try and build bridges... also to permanently erode our border to create the ultimate lefty paradise.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

The "Red Card" is ridiculous. The only scenario in which it could apply is if a majority of EU governments endorsed a proposal, and a majority of EU Parliaments rejected it. How likely is it that EU governments would endorse a proposal when their legislatures were opposed to it?

It basically requires the ref to get the approval of a couple of his team-mates agreeing to their guy getting sent off....
  • Options
    edited February 2016

SeanT said:

Christ on two bikes. It's not up to them, its up to the government of the day. If LEAVE said EEA, and the government said no, actually we are going to go it alone, what do you think would happen. There is no point in LEAVE painting pictures of stuff it is unable to deliver, that's the sort of dishonest crap Cameron goes in for, painting pictures for example of reducing immigration..... or reforming the EU... or controlling our borders... or "an new kind of union"...
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Pauly said:

Pauly said:

If leave jumps, he and the eurocrats will start panicking. That way even in the worst case scenario the federal dream will be watered down some more.
    Border free travel around Europe has existed since the early 1950s. Even if the EU collapses (a non zero probability), Schengen or something like it will continue to exist, because the cost of securing very long land borders without meaningful geographic features is enormous.

Even at the height of the troubles, we realised that securing the border between the Republic and Northern Ireland was not achievable at a sensible cost.
  • Options

I'd have agreed until today. The deal is so tepid that I can't see it holding any water during a campaign.

I'm feeling torn. Chuffed it's so crap and disappointed that it is so dismal. I feel sorry for pro EU sorts that their club doesn't give a shit about them. It's insulting in yer face real politick.

Mortimer said:

It is great news for those hoping to leave the EU but it quite disappointing that there are people claiming that we are being offered substantial reforms. The proposed reforms have fell considerably short of what Dave has previously stated we need.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Yes, having looked further at it, my characterisation of the idea as 'interesting' on the previous thread was a bit generous.
  • Options

SeanT said:

Yes it does. We would no longer be subject to ECJ rulings and could take our cases to the much less partisan EFTA court.

The ECJ is where the majority of our problems with the EU stem.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Pauly said:

Pauly said:

Border free travel around Europe has existed since the early 1950s. Even if the EU collapses (a non zero probability), Schengen or something like it will continue to exist, because the cost of securing very long land borders without meaningful geographic features is enormous.

Even at the height of the troubles, we realised that securing the border between the Republic and Northern Ireland was not achievable at a sensible cost.
    I think the cost/trade-off will become a more attractive when African & Middle Eastern migration refuses to subside. I may be wrong but I personally believe the current mass movement would still be occurring even if Syria achieved peace tomorrow. It can only go on for so long before something snaps.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,076
    rcs1000 said:

Pauly said:

Pauly said:

I think you're being a bit complacent on this issue. There's a difference between borderless travel and having the right to work. We have recent practical experience of this when the UK was one of the only parts of the EU where citizens of the new accession countries could work - they didn't have travel restrictions in the rest of the EU.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Yes it does. We would no longer be subject to ECJ rulings and could take our cases to the much less partisan EFTA court.

The ECJ is where the majority of our problems with the EU stem.

That's too obscure an argument for the Leave side to attempt to use.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

Mortimer said:

You are right - the PB commentariat makes Twitter look representative - and especially so today. Fortunately the voters take things in a more measured way.
  • Options
    Some good news today, Trump trumped* and the Referendum soon to be over with Remain winning.
    * unfortunately by Cruz, but Rubio almost overhauled him too.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

A red card means a red card - hold it up and play stops right now. Not try to persuade a bunch of people to support us.

Mind you, Cameron did sound a tad embarrassed from the bit I heard - talking about more work to be done etc as if he knew it sounded crap.

• Options
    Sean_F said:

It's worse than that... they have to reject it within 8 weeks... what's that chance of getting 15 parliaments to timetable as substantive motion and pass it in 8 weeks.
  • Options
    Need some polls on this.

Unfortunately as ever, 90-95% of teh respondent swill be at best ill-informed and at worst entirely ignorant
  • Options
    Anyone on PB who's negotiated multi million deals knows, it's just devastating to lose and learn it was never serious despite all the dancing.

That's my overwhelming take away from today. The EU simply doesn't want us to stay.
This discussion has been closed.