Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Corbyn’s Trident review. Winning a battle but the losing th

SystemSystem Posts: 11,688
edited January 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Corbyn’s Trident review. Winning a battle but the losing the war?

Emily Thornberry, the new recruit to the Corbyn Shadow Cabinet has a sense of mischief and tells a great story about her General Election outing in 2001 in the safe Tory seat of Canterbury. Her opponent was Julian Brazier, who is proud of his family’s military heritage. His father was a lieutenant colonel and he spent 13 years as an officer the Territorial Army, five of them in the with the SAS.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,488
    edited January 2016
    I agree with Don
  • Options
    Good piece, but I must say that I'm struggling with the concept that someone who argues against Trident renewal on the basis that it is no deterrent against climate change can be seen as a serious player on the international stage.
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    Third like Labour in Scotland.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,708
    So give them to someone who's signed up to 'non-profit international initiative for the elimination of all nuclear weapons worldwide.'

Gee....I wonder what his findings might be.
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    In terms of the public perception, the appointment of Emily Thornberry is almost certainly the most toxic thing that Corbyn has done.

At the end of the day, no-one knows who John McDonnell or Cat Smith are, their appointments don't hurt Labour in terms of public perception (away from those few who still read papers).

But Thornberry is a liability, even Lucy Powell hasn't had their public reputation shredded as badly as Lady Nugee has.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,215
    FPT (and because of the curse of the new thread):-

In response to @NickPalmer (who said this - Snipped):-

"The cover-up phenomenon is sometimes because extremists have already tried to exploit it, so you get authorities feeling that they mustn't get any kind of validation. But if a crime has been committed, the fact that someone we don't like has tried to exploit it unscrupulously doesn't mean that we shouldn't try to prosecute it properly."

Your last paragraph is key, I think. Extremists will more likely be successful at exploiting something if the mainstream ignores the problem. That is why it is so important for the mainstream not to ignore the issue and to speak about it openly and honestly and put all the facts out there, however uncomfortable they may be.

To refuse to speak honestly for fear of extremism is more likely to feed extremism, not least because it displays utter contempt for the people.

We need to speak openly about the facts and we need to speak openly about values and culture, our own and that of others. The attached article is quite interesting in this regard: http://www.spiked-online.com/newsite/article/je-suis-charlie-then-challenge-the-islamophobia-industry/16455#.Vpj1Nmxi_X4.

Oh and a very good post from TSE (fpt).
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    Lord Browne of Ladyton, a 'serious player on the world stage'

You couldn't make this stuff up.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

I agree with Don

Thought you were in favour of Trident myself...
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    " .... vulnerability of nuclear submarines to cyber attacks ..."

Really? How? How in God's name does one conduct a cyber attack against a system that is not connected to the internet?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Hmm, IANAE on nuclear subs, someone else can correct me if I'm wrong, but the threat of cyber attack is basically nil. The Vanguard class subs aren't able to connect to the internet and the chain from the Queen, to the PM, to the defence chief then to the captain of the sub is secure in that is just uses an antiquated system.
  • Options
    "With all due respect, as they say, to Emily Thornberry and Ken Livingstone, Jeremy Corbyn might do well to sack them and hand over the review to a more credible convenor – for the good of the party and of the country."

He's just appointed Thornberry to defence - this is wishful thinking from Don.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    edited January 2016
    Swiss Des...the part time Defence Minister.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6559603.stm
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798
    I'm personally not sold on Trident, but that is not a view the public holds, I think, and given the internal problems to overcome it is probably not worth the political capital to change Labour's policy on it when there is likely not going to be any net electoral benefit. I can only conclude Corbyn regards it as significant enough to attempt regardless of the consequences, and not just symbolically significant.
  • Options
    This rather assumes that Corbyn wants to achieve credibility for a Labour government. My impression is that he wants (a) people who agree with him; and (b) to change the policy.

He assumes, I think, that Labour are likely to win an election anyway at some point and that it is better for it to be on a non-nuclear platform, even if that delays the victory. It's what @AlistairMeeks called the "We only have to be lucky once" strategy.

A move to ditch Trident would only have credibility if the leader were seen as someone who could be trusted to defend the country properly. Then the argument would be about means. But with Corbyn in charge the question is not about means but ends. Does he even want to defend the country?

Time for a replay of Lord Rooker's comments, perhaps:

"My party leader cannot be accused, like the prime minister, of misleading anyone. He has never, to my knowledge, agreed to protect the realm, the British way of life, or western liberal democracies – and he won't. We need to get rid of him before we face the electorate and have a leader fit and proper to offer themselves as our prime minister…."
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    The key line is this:

"But Corbyn’s goal should surely not just to change party policy but to make it the policy of a Labour government"

The assumption being that Labour should make the best pitch to the electorate that is likely to win an election. I don't believe that is how Corbyn thinks. He will want as pure a manifesto as he can get from the Labour party and then try to persuade the country to back him. For the time being, given his experiences of 2015, there's little reason for him not to think like that.

The review has not been commissioned to produce an impartial conclusion; it exists to validate Corbyn's views. Might someone else - Browne - have come up more credibly with the same conclusion? Possibly, but why take the chance?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @MichaelLCrick: Ken Livingstone says he decided to give up Lab defence review after pub lunch w E Thornberry last Fri where agreed for 90 mins on everything
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    It's difficult to take seriously anyone who uses the phrase "I outrank you" at an election hustings, even if it was meant as some sort of joke.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Pulpstar said:

I agree with Don

Thought you were in favour of Trident myself...
    I'm and I'm not.

As first principle I am.

Given our financial position, and the cutting to the conventional forces, I'm tempted to spend the money on the conventional forces, maybe two full Airborne Air Assault Divisions.

This might enrage Mr Llama but why don't we look at a nuclear deterrent delivered via the RAF.

The bit I agree with Don was this bit

With all due respect, as they say, to Emily Thornberry and Ken Livingstone, Jeremy Corbyn might do well to sack them and hand over the review to a more credible convenor – for the good of the party and of the country.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I'm personally not sold on Trident, but that is not a view the public holds, I think, and given the internal problems to overcome it is probably not worth the political capital to change Labour's policy on it when there is likely not going to be any net electoral benefit. I can only conclude Corbyn regards it as significant enough to attempt regardless of the consequences, and not just symbolically significant.

I think it's a waste of money too, Simon Jenkins' article echoes my sentiments. Russia and the USA have enough MAD between them for the world. At the very least our NATO allies, yes YOU Luxembourg should pay us something (Along with USA and France) for the theoretical protection our nukes offer.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

It's difficult to take seriously anyone who uses the phrase "I outrank you" at an election hustings, even if it was meant as some sort of joke.

It is even more difficult to take seriously a person who proposes something as a threat that is physically impossible. .
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Pulpstar said:

kle4 said:

I think it's a waste of money too, Simon Jenkins' article echoes my sentiments. Russia and the USA have enough MAD between them for the world. At the very least our NATO allies, yes YOU Luxembourg should pay us something (Along with USA and France) for the theoretical protection our nukes offer.
    Simon Jenkins is always wrong.

The only decent thing he's ever done is the book on the Falklands war and that was probably down to Sir Max Hastings
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

kle4 said:

I wouldn't be comfortable living under the US nuclear shield. Look at how badly the "special relationship" has drifted under Obama who is openly hostile towards us. While the US is still our number one ally, it might not always be that way and we should have our own deterrent. Obviously that would also mean developing an independent missile delivery system rather than Polaris.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35304528
    Lord Janner 'abused 12 at children's homes'
    Twelve former residents of children's homes say they were abused by Lord Janner, a BBC investigation has found, as criminal proceedings end.

Isn't it marvelous that Janner escaped prosecution while he was alive. Was it because he was a QC and a Lord, and therefore had clout and some power?
  • Options
    @PolhomeEditor: Labour sources say confusion over Ken Livingstone's defence review role show why they need to change the party's rules. Cunning.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    "The first military judgement I heard on Des Browne, a year ago now, isn't printable. The then new secretary of state was visiting Afghanistan."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6559603.stm
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    'cycling enthusiast' is that now just a euphemism for sex? :)
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

kle4 said:

I wouldn't be comfortable living under the US nuclear shield. Look at how badly the "special relationship" has drifted under Obama who is openly hostile towards us. While the US is still our number one ally, it might not always be that way and we should have our own deterrent. Obviously that would also mean developing an independent missile delivery system rather than Polaris.
    We'd be like Canada and Australia. In terrible danger, I guess.
  • Options
    @TSE

"This might enrage Mr Llama but why don't we look at a nuclear deterrent delivered via the RAF."

For the same reasons we went away from the V force fifty years ago. As a deterrent, it don't work.

If one wants a nuclear deterrent then CASD is the only one that is, for the UK, viable. If one doesn't then argue for that, but this nonsense that there is some middle way that would provide a sufficient level of deterrence but cheaper has been done to death. Even the Lib Dems could not find a workable alternative.
  • Options
    Without wanting to seem to wallow in bad news that @rcs1000 accused me of yesterday, be prepared to see a massive drop in New York shares when the market opens.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

Without wanting to seem to wallow in bad news that @rcs1000 accused me of yesterday, be prepared to see a massive drop in New York shares when the market opens.

Great time to buy.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

kle4 said:

And that, in a rather convoluted nutshell, is one reason I'll be voting Remain: I trust the French more than the Americans. That's where we should look to build a replacement missile system - our interests and capabilities are much more matched so the chances of one pulling out are much lower. Is it necessary to be in the EU to do that? Theoretically, no. Practically, I don't see how the French would trust us if we'd just withdrawn.
  • Options
    Perhaps Labour could commit to a policy of multi-lateral disarmament. It's not something we've heard a lot about.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Great time to buy.

It is. People are only thinking about the negative effects of plunging energy prices. It takes much longer for the benefits to flow through.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

MikeK said:

Great time to buy.
    You buy, I'll look on. :)
  • Options
    MikeK said:

Twelve former residents of children's homes say they were abused by Lord Janner, a BBC investigation has found, as criminal proceedings end.

Isn't it marvelous that Janner escaped prosecution while he was alive. Was it because he was a QC and a Lord, and therefore had clout and some power?

It was because the CPS did not do their job properly, as they have admitted.

And to be pedantic, what the BBC has found are 12 residents of children's homes who are claiming that they were abused by Lord Janner. The BBC is in no position to make any finding of fact on criminal matters.

• Options

@TSE

"This might enrage Mr Llama but why don't we look at a nuclear deterrent delivered via the RAF."

For the same reasons we went away from the V force fifty years ago. As a deterrent, it don't work.

If one wants a nuclear deterrent then CASD is the only one that is, for the UK, viable. If one doesn't then argue for that, but this nonsense that there is some middle way that would provide a sufficient level of deterrence but cheaper has been done to death. Even the Lib Dems could not find a workable alternative.

Cheers.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

Pulpstar said:

MikeK said:

Great time to buy.
    I put an order for a monkey's worth of Vanguard 80:20 in with my broker yesterday.
  • Options
    Ton up for Joe.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

kle4 said:

Neither Canada nor Australia are a globally relevant defence power. We still are and are still a very high profile target both for Islamist groups and rogue nations who either have nuclear weapons or have the ambition to acquire/develop them.

Pakistan are developing their own nuclear sub, I'm not confident in placing the security of this nation in the hands of another.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

This paragraph, from Dan Hodges, is rather funny.

"In fact, “Why Labour Lost” could become a regular publication. Awaited with the same anticipation in the political world as a publication like Wisden, or the new edition of the Oxford English dictionary. “So what’s your favourite edition of “Why Labour Lost”?”. “Hard one. Have to say, I have a special fondness for the bound, Lisa Nandy, 2025 version."

We know why Labour lost. Labour lost because that’s just what Labour does these days. "

• Options
    edited January 2016
    @MaxPB
    Pulpstar said:

"Neither Canada nor Australia are a globally relevant defence power."

Why the f*ck did we get Nuclear weapons in the first place ! Great idea that was...
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,007
    MikeK said:

Pulpstar said:

MikeK said:

Great time to buy.
    I was pointing out that selling because the price has gone down makes no sense. Just as buying because the price has gone up makes no sense.

Why should I - as in investor - give even the slightest shit at what price people have exchanged bits of paper in the past?

All I care about is whether the net present value of dividends is greater or less than the price at which I can buy or sell shares.
  • Options
    Pakistan are developing their own nuclear sub, I'm not confident in placing the security of this nation in the hands of another.

Absolutely, if you want people to take you seriously, you've got to be packin'
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

kle4 said:

Neither Canada nor Australia are a globally relevant defence power. We still are and are still a very high profile target both for Islamist groups and rogue nations who either have nuclear weapons or have the ambition to acquire/develop them.

I can see the argument for using the money to beef up conventional defences.

But, in reality, the Treasury would take the money and piss it up the wall. If the Treasury had its way, we'd replace the armed forces with a recorded message saying "We surrender" in Arabic.
  • Options
    PAWPAW Posts: 1,074
    I have an idea Janner had a standing ovation from MPs when he appeared in the Commons after the first accusation was made. I seem to remember it that way.
  • Options

This might enrage Mr Llama but why don't we look at a nuclear deterrent delivered via the RAF.

We just don't have the air capability for second strike response that Trident gives us. Having a continuous deterrent is one of the few advantages of Trident. Keeping planes in the air safe from being attacked isn't easy and having them on the ground doesn't give us the ability to strike back since they can be destroyed.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

kle4 said:

But, in reality, the Treasury would take the money and piss it up the wall. If the Treasury had its way, we'd replace the armed forces with a recorded message saying "We surrender" in Arabic.
    How about just not spending it on ... anything, reducing the debt/deficit with it ?

Too novel an idea ?
  • Options
    PAW said:

I have an idea Janner had a standing ovation from MPs when he appeared in the Commons after the first accusation was made. I seem to remember it that way.

As a Lord, how would he appear in the Commons?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Sean_F said:

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

kle4 said:

How about just not spending it on ... anything, reducing the debt/deficit with it ?

Too novel an idea ?
    I think it's desirable to have some kind of credible military capability.
  • Options
    Dow opens up 2.12% and 347 points down, wiping out all gains made yesterday and continuing the downward slide that started on Jan 4th,
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    That got a #snort :smiley:
    Sean_F said:

This paragraph, from Dan Hodges, is rather funny.

"In fact, “Why Labour Lost” could become a regular publication. Awaited with the same anticipation in the political world as a publication like Wisden, or the new edition of the Oxford English dictionary. “So what’s your favourite edition of “Why Labour Lost”?”. “Hard one. Have to say, I have a special fondness for the bound, Lisa Nandy, 2025 version."

We know why Labour lost. Labour lost because that’s just what Labour does these days. "

• Options

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

kle4 said:

And that, in a rather convoluted nutshell, is one reason I'll be voting Remain: I trust the French more than the Americans. That's where we should look to build a replacement missile system - our interests and capabilities are much more matched so the chances of one pulling out are much lower. Is it necessary to be in the EU to do that? Theoretically, no. Practically, I don't see how the French would trust us if we'd just withdrawn.
    I think a mutual nuclear defence pact with the French makes a lot of sense. I'm not sure that EU membership really matters in this instance though. Our global outlook is very similar to that of France and we both have crumbling ex-empire's and overseas territories which we would like to protect. No other EU nation really has the same profile. Plus it would give the French a reason to ensure that their deterrent is kept out of the hands of any EU-wide defence force that may or may not happen.

Our short term exit of the EU isn't really relevant to the long term goals that we share in terms of global defence.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

PAW said:

Peers Gallery. Not sure that he did, mind.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited January 2016
    rcs1000 said:

All I care about is whether the net present value of dividends is greater or less than the price at which I can buy or sell shares.

Yes, so all you need to do the calculation is:

- An accurate list of of all future dividends in perpertuity, or, more realistically, until you'll want to sell
    - ... and therefore you need to know the date when you'll want to sell
    - ... and the price at which you'll be able to sell
    - Oh, and a complete list of future interest rates until the sale date in order to get the NPV.

Of these, the dominant figure is the price at which you'll be able to sell.

That's what I love about economics: you go through all the theory, and a complex calculation, not knowing what figures to input into the calculation, and finally you come out with the conclusion that it's easy to know whether to buy a share, provided you can predict the future.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

@MaxPB

Pulpstar said:

Why the f*ck did we get Nuclear weapons in the first place ! Great idea that was...
    Because we couldn't trust the Americans, and feared the Soviets.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344

Perhaps Labour could commit to a policy of multi-lateral disarmament. It's not something we've heard a lot about.

When I was an MP we had Margaret Beckett round for a fund-raiser, IIRC soon after she stepped down as Foreign Secretary. She argued that multilateralism was too often seen as a euphemism for doing nothing,and that there was genuine scope for aggressive multilateral initiatives, since countries were no longer particularly keen on a position where various people could wipe them out and the only remedy was to wipe them out as well.

I certainly think that if we did give up Trident, we should use the act as an argument for persuading others to cut down at the same time, and a fudge on the policy would be to say that we would be willing to give up Trident as part of a reduction agreed with others. That would still be open to the criticism that we'd be going down to zero while, say, Russia would merely drop by 20%, but it would be more obviously useful.

I don't think Don's idea of scrapping the current review is remotely on, but obviously Browne's input would be interesting. So indeed would Tony Blair's, since he says in his book that he's no longer sure what use Trident is.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,721

Good piece, but I must say that I'm struggling with the concept that someone who argues against Trident renewal on the basis that it is no deterrent against climate change can be seen as a serious player on the international stage.

I thought that was a bit odd too. Maybe he meant https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_winter
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

@MaxPB

Pulpstar said:

It seems to have slung an expensive albatross around our necks though !
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

kle4 said:

That last sentence is lamentably accurate. Especially under Osborne.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Yes, so all you need to do the calculation is:

- An accurate list of of all future dividends in perpertuity, or, more realistically, until you'll want to sell
    - ... and therefore you need to know the date when you'll want to sell
    - ... and the price at which you'll be able to sell
    - Oh, and a complete list of future interest rates until the sale date in order to get the NPV.

Of these, the dominant figure is the price at which you'll be able to sell.

That's what I love about economics: you go through all the theory, and a complex calculation, not knowing what figures to input into the calculation, and finally you come out with the conclusion that it's easy to know whether to buy a share, provided you can predict the future.
    My philosophy with investing is: assume you will never be able to sell this share

If it still makes sense to buy it, great. If it doesn't, then you were probably trading rather than investing.
  • Options
    flightpath01flightpath01 Posts: 4,903
    Long term threats? Climate change!
    Do me a favour. Is the Labour Party for real?
  • Options
    Next POTUS, Betfair:

Clinton 2 / 2.04
    Trump 6.4 / 6.6
    Rubio 7.6 / 8
    Sanders 9.2 / 10

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/#/politics/market/1.107373419
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

My philosophy with investing is: assume you will never be able to sell this share

If it still makes sense to buy it, great. If it doesn't, then you were probably trading rather than investing.

I agree that that is a good way of looking at things.
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    edited January 2016
    rcs1000 said:

PAW said:

The allegations were first made in 1991 when he was still an MP.

• Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838
    I'm quite strongly in favour of keeping Trident myself. However I think the electorate might accept an anti argument, with the proviso that:

* Corbyn-led Labour is in the worst possible position to make the argument. From them it will be (correctly) seen as doctrinaire pacifism.
    * The issue is divisive for Labour and they have no practical influence. Why tear each other to bits over it?
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    PAW said:

Hansard, 2nd December 1991:

"Is the Minister aware that everyone in Leicestershire will welcome the setting up of the inquiry into the regime of Frank Beck? There was, of course, not a shred of truth in any of the allegations of criminal conduct made against me during the trial by Beck and by 25 his accomplice, Winston. I hope to raise many important aspects of the matter in the House tomorrow evening, if I am fortunate to catch your eye, Mr. Speaker.
    As my wife, my family and I have had a taste of the suffering that Beck can impose on innocent people, will the Minister join me in sending to the real sufferers, the individuals who endured Beck's homes and whose lives have been wrecked at his hands, the profound sympathy of us all?"

http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/commons/1991/dec/02/child-abuse-leicestershire#S6CV0200P0_19911202_HOC_153
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

We just don't have the air capability for second strike response that Trident gives us. Having a continuous deterrent is one of the few advantages of Trident. Keeping planes in the air safe from being attacked isn't easy and having them on the ground doesn't give us the ability to strike back since they can be destroyed.
    They are not mutially exclusive. I am not sure of now but I thought France had both planes and ICBMs in the not too distant past.
    The bomb is not that expensive and we would not get meaningful conventional additions for the money. There is a difference between tactical and strategic needs.
  • Options
    I'm amazed that David Herdson thinks that a nuclear alliance with the French would be a good thing.
    First, never trust Perfidious France. Secondly, never trust Perfidious France. And thirdly, never trust Perfidious France.
  • Options
    ''The bomb is not that expensive and we would not get meaningful conventional additions for the money. There is a difference between tactical and strategic needs.''

When you look at what went before it, the total sum we have paid for nuclear weapons ensured peace since 1945 is cheap at four times the price.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

MikeK said:

It was because the CPS did not do their job properly, as they have admitted.

And to be pedantic, what the BBC has found are 12 residents of children's homes who are claiming that they were abused by Lord Janner. The BBC is in no position to make any finding of fact on criminal matters.

The accusations and others may be true but how do we know? Did the BBC go looking? On the face of it it all seems pretty nasty. Equally we have seen cases which have turned out to be spurious.
  • Options
    runnymede said:

Lord Browne of Ladyton, a 'serious player on the world stage'

You couldn't make this stuff up.

He just did through. Pathetic innit?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

@MaxPB

Pulpstar said:

When states like Pakistan and North Korea have the weapons, not to mention Russia, it's sensible for us to do so too.
  • Options

When I was an MP we had Margaret Beckett round for a fund-raiser, IIRC soon after she stepped down as Foreign Secretary. She argued that multilateralism was too often seen as a euphemism for doing nothing,and that there was genuine scope for aggressive multilateral initiatives, since countries were no longer particularly keen on a position where various people could wipe them out and the only remedy was to wipe them out as well.

I certainly think that if we did give up Trident, we should use the act as an argument for persuading others to cut down at the same time, and a fudge on the policy would be to say that we would be willing to give up Trident as part of a reduction agreed with others. That would still be open to the criticism that we'd be going down to zero while, say, Russia would merely drop by 20%, but it would be more obviously useful.

In what possible way would it be useful to disarm ourselves against a potential enemy (indeed, any potential enemy) which is only slightly less armed?

I'm sure you're aware that this was basically Labour's policy in the 1930s too.

Please, Nick, you're a well-read, intelligent guy: this sort of thing is student gesture politics at its worst.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

@MaxPB

Pulpstar said:

When states like Pakistan and North Korea have the weapons, not to mention Russia, it's sensible for us to do so too.
    I also wouldn't be surprised to see either Qatar or Saudi Arabia secretly acquire the bomb and neither are to be trusted.
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    edited January 2016

The Working Tax Credit on the other hand is a serious threat to British national security. It increases consumer spending, and puts CO2-emitting, planet-destroying personal transportation machinery within the budget of people who would otherwise have used public transport or foot. We must scrap WTC altogether forthwith, or we must all fry.

Every time the RAF launches a plane, whether over Syria or just a training flight, they are basically destroying Britain. Time to abolish them, too.

I'm also reliably informed that not all tanks are fuelled by hydrogen or battery power. So unless the army can prove that they are engaged in battle replanting the mangroves, protecting the rainforests and saving the rhinoceros, I'm not sure what we're paying them for either. What's the point?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

@MaxPB

Pulpstar said:

I also wouldn't be surprised to see either Qatar or Saudi Arabia secretly acquire the bomb and neither are to be trusted.
    Qatar has about 250,000 citizens and no nuclear power plants. It's also not a very big place. Building a nuclear facility without anybody noticing would be tricky.

Saudi Arabia - on the other hand - which has a nasty repressive government, funds Wahabbi groups around the world, has tens of millions of citizens, and has tonnes of space, would be both much more likely and much more serious.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344
    AndyJS said:

PAW said:

"Is the Minister aware that everyone in Leicestershire will welcome the setting up of the inquiry into the regime of Frank Beck? There was, of course, not a shred of truth in any of the allegations of criminal conduct made against me during the trial by Beck and by 25 his accomplice, Winston. I hope to raise many important aspects of the matter in the House tomorrow evening, if I am fortunate to catch your eye, Mr. Speaker.
    As my wife, my family and I have had a taste of the suffering that Beck can impose on innocent people, will the Minister join me in sending to the real sufferers, the individuals who endured Beck's homes and whose lives have been wrecked at his hands, the profound sympathy of us all?"

http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/commons/1991/dec/02/child-abuse-leicestershire#S6CV0200P0_19911202_HOC_153
    Before my time, but I doubt the ovation - when Blair got one on leaving, it was seen as quite unprecedented. I expect there were lots of supportive murmurs - generally, if someone you know as a pleasant colleague is accused of something dreadful, you'll tend to murmur sympathetically when he says it's a horrible business. It's like the old question of the difference in attitude towards a suspected murderer who rescues you from drowning (you still feel ambiguous) and someone who rescues you from drowning and is then accused of a murder (you think he's probably innocent).

In general I'm sceptical of establishment stitch-up theories - almost nobody will really tolerate a cover-up of a dreadful crime. But there is a tendency not to rush into the public eye with accusations, since they can destroy a reputation long before you get to the court case stage. (It's why I personally favour anonymity of defendants in all court cases until conviction, unless there is a substantial reason to seek further evidence or warn the public.)
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,311
    Pulpstar said:

MikeK said:

Great time to buy.
    And, as has been pointed out many times, there will be exactly the same number of buyers as sellers.
  • Options
    I don't understand why Lab are spending so much time going on about Trident when it is obvious the Government are going to renew it. Unless they are saying they are going to cancel it after it has been commissioned, in which case billions of pounds would go down the drain.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:
    You're behind the times; I posted that at 3am this morning!
  • Options
    MikeK said:

I'm amazed that David Herdson thinks that a nuclear alliance with the French would be a good thing.
    First, never trust Perfidious France. Secondly, never trust Perfidious France. And thirdly, never trust Perfidious France.

I prefer to base defence and foreign policy on mutual interests rather than charity or waffle. France would have such a mutual interest. That's enough.
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    MaxPB said:

And the RAF don't have any aircraft capable of carrying bomb loads the distances required. Developing such would waste billions, probably more than new submarines if the MoD's record is anything to go by.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Sack Emily Thornberry and Ken Livingstone from the Defence Review?

Will never happen, Corbyn handpicked two anti-trident lackeys to get the result that he wanted, there'll be no handing over control to a more credible convenor, the damage is done.

• Options
    A good article on the political impact of long-term demographic change in the US:

http://www.vox.com/2016/1/14/10761208/democrats-doomed

Executive summary: It ain't quite as simple as you think
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    I feel Donald Brind's pain. I don't think Jeremy Corbyn can sack anyone else in the short term. Ken Livingstone's retrospective non-involvement is as much as can practically be done now.
  • Options
    Dow Jones droped under 16,000 - minus 400 points
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

@MaxPB

Pulpstar said:

Qatar has about 250,000 citizens and no nuclear power plants. It's also not a very big place. Building a nuclear facility without anybody noticing would be tricky.

Saudi Arabia - on the other hand - which has a nasty repressive government, funds Wahabbi groups around the world, has tens of millions of citizens, and has tonnes of space, would be both much more likely and much more serious.
    A Saudi bomb becomes ever more likely if they doubt the seriousness of international commitment to effectively monitoring/dissuading Iran from the same. (Iran have their own problems, including - as they would see it - deterring any threat of American or Israeli aggression, and the fact they border nuclear-armed Pakistan and not so long ago came close to a "hot" war against them. Iran is therefore strongly motivated to continue to pursue the bomb regardless of the relationship with Saudi Arabia. For the Saudis, an Iranian bomb is a red line.)

Would be interesting to know TimT's views as he is probably the most expert commentator on here.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

PAW said:

Before my time, but I doubt the ovation - when Blair got one on leaving, it was seen as quite unprecedented. I expect there were lots of supportive murmurs - generally, if someone you know as a pleasant colleague is accused of something dreadful, you'll tend to murmur sympathetically when he says it's a horrible business. It's like the old question of the difference in attitude towards a suspected murderer who rescues you from drowning (you still feel ambiguous) and someone who rescues you from drowning and is then accused of a murder (you think he's probably innocent).

In general I'm sceptical of establishment stitch-up theories - almost nobody will really tolerate a cover-up of a dreadful crime. But there is a tendency not to rush into the public eye with accusations, since they can destroy a reputation long before you get to the court case stage. (It's why I personally favour anonymity of defendants in all court cases until conviction, unless there is a substantial reason to seek further evidence or warn the public.)
    It might be true that no-one will cover up a dreadful crime they know to have taken place but it does seem the case that there was - may well be still is - a distinct tendency to cover up / all-too-readily dismiss allegations of dreadful crimes which merit investigation.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

@MaxPB

Pulpstar said:

Which is why I said acquire rather than develop. Though you are correct that Saudi Arabia pose a much bigger threat than Qatar. If Iran does end up developing the bomb then who knows what happens in the region. The Americans might even be stupid enough to sanction a Saudi weapons programme to oppose Iran.
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

kle4 said:

As they're hosts to a number of US military facilities which would be classed as First Strike targets, they'd be on the receiving end of megatonnage of 'canned sunshine' as would the UK. We could always kick the Yanks out, but then we'd lose the protection of any nuclear umbrella.
  • Options
    watford30 said:

MaxPB said:

And the RAF don't have any aircraft capable of carrying bomb loads the distances required. Developing such would waste billions, probably more than new submarines if the MoD's record is anything to go by.
    Yes, we would need to buy into the US B2 replacement programme or develop our own intercontinental nuclear bomber. Neither would be very cheap.
  • Options

I feel Donald Brind's pain. I don't think Jeremy Corbyn can sack anyone else in the short term. Ken Livingstone's retrospective non-involvement is as much as can practically be done now.

Given that she and Ken apparently agree on everything his involvement is an unnecessary and pointless aggravation that isn't going to change anything.

I know Labour is in a very sad place but the idea that Des Browne is "more credible" than those currently holding the shadow post, even if it is true is deeply depressing.

In Scotland we have seen what happens when one of the natural governing parties self-destructs and leaves a government with no effective opposition. It is not pretty and does not lead to good governance. The temptation to simply laugh at the depth of the hole that Corbyn is still frantically digging should be resisted. It is not good for the country.
  • Options
    PAWPAW Posts: 1,074
    Here is a link

https://spotlightonabuse.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/g31291.jpg

I thought I remembered id...
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

@MaxPB

Pulpstar said:

Which is why I said acquire rather than develop. Though you are correct that Saudi Arabia pose a much bigger threat than Qatar. If Iran does end up developing the bomb then who knows what happens in the region. The Americans might even be stupid enough to sanction a Saudi weapons programme to oppose Iran.
    I'm with you on Saudi. But I think Qatar is just too small. It's not like they could hide launchers anywhere, and if they were invaded you'd be able to control the whole country in a matter of hours.
  • Options
    Play called off for the day. I think my comment earlier that people were being overly pessimistic about England's position has, for once, been vindicated. I gave up all pretense of work to watch the Root/Stokes partnership. Cricket at its very best.

I think England will want a lead of about 100 batting 4th on this pitch. In light of this the game is still pretty evenly matched but it has edged England's way. I hope we don't lose any more time though. Quite a lot of overs lost today.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

@MaxPB

Pulpstar said:

I'm with you on Saudi. But I think Qatar is just too small. It's not like they could hide launchers anywhere, and if they were invaded you'd be able to control the whole country in a matter of hours.
    I think it's probably just paranoia on my part and the fact that they have a lot of money!
  • Options
    taffys said:

Great time to buy.

It is. People are only thinking about the negative effects of plunging energy prices. It takes much longer for the benefits to flow through.

Rather more to the global economic situation than that surely?

Debt is running at colossal levels globally, where is demand going to come from?
  • Options

Sack Emily Thornberry and Ken Livingstone from the Defence Review?

Will never happen, Corbyn handpicked two anti-trident lackeys to get the result that he wanted, there'll be no handing over control to a more credible convenor, the damage is done.

Ken has already been sacked was never part of the Defence review
This discussion has been closed.