Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Just like in the 80s a Benn is causing headaches for the La

124»

Comments

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,057

malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

Mr. 1000, one suspects the future of Mr. Cameron will be decided by Mrs. Cameron.

Ha, true. He gives the impression of being a family man who would like to spend time watching his kids grow up, away from the pressure of office. It's a side-effect of politicians becoming younger, and of people in general marrying later in life.
    Not to me he, comes across as a snake oil salesman. He will be on lots of boards enriching himself even further for a few hours attendance a year like all these privileged elite plonkers do.
    A fair description, IMHO! One of Malc's better posts.
    You have got to be joking. The worlds leading snake oil salesman is Salmond
    The fact that they are both snos's doest detract from the accuracy of Malc's description re Cameron.
  • Options
    flightpath01flightpath01 Posts: 4,903

SeanT said:

Sandpit said:

Ha, Bairstow dropped!!!! When it's not your day...

You are actually believing all this? You will be cheerleading for the Tour de France next.

If gamblers in Singapore wanted to fix a match to their profit, they wouldn't be so stupid as to demand a world record breaking session of play.

It's like picking someone's pocket by pushing the victim to the ground and slowly rummaging through all their pockets while wearing a tartan clown jumpsuit.
    And to get it, you'd need to bribe half the South African team.
    I'm left still struggling to believe it. In the last test SA put England in and guess what - we won at a canter.
    This from the leading team in test cricket. Should we forget past history?
    SA need to sack half their team to encourage the others.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    Hmmm
    Ex-MP Lembit Opik says he will look like George Clooney after cosmetic surgery on his 'wonky' face

Former Lib Dem MP Lembit Opik is to undergo an operation on his face
    He suffered extensive facial injuries following a 1998 paragliding accident
    Mr Opik says the six-hour operation will leave him looking 'unrecognisable'
    Politician hopes new face will make him resemble actor George Clooney

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3382718/Ex-MP-Lembit-Opik-wants-look-like-Clooney-cosmetic-surgery.html#ixzz3wBleOcJA

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,161

HYUFD said:

Proportion of Tory MPs who are now privately educated 50% from 72% in 1979

1979: 72%
    1992: 62%
    2010: 54%
    2015: 50%
    https://twitter.com/robfordmancs?lang=en-gb

Data taken from the book MaxPB was asking about earlier in this thread, apparently.
    Indeed
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,907

Apropos of nothing, there is an interview with Ruth Davidson in today's Telegraph that is worth reading. A very interesting lady and a politician that could make a very good contribution if she could be persuaded to come to Westminster.

She hopefully could make a major contribution as Leader of the Opposition in Scotland; a role not to be underestimated in importance. That said, I don't think she quite will this time; Labour's residual strength is too long but give it another four (or five) years with the SNP gunning for Labour's heartland and leaving space on the right, and it's quite possible.
    Indeed, though how much of that is due to Labour's undertaking the Tories through a decline rather than any rise in the Tory vote is another matter. Her party's vote seems to be flatlining around 15% (I'm being slightly generous, from memory it is more usually 12%). The very fact she's got a Glasgow list seat and has moved to the Lothians list for the May elections itself indicates that she thinks her position is deteriorating.

On that timescale, also, you need to consider other factors:

1. Any impact on the Tory vote/party of the Brexit referendum - I'm not aware how many voters in Scotland are Tory AND pro-EU, but in general the pro-EU element is much stronger in Scotland. And certainly UKIP do much more poorly in Scotland than across the border. You might like to consider the degree to which the farmers contribute to Troy strength in certain areas such as the Borders and the Doric northeast.

2. The rise of any pro-independence right wing party. (Whether this hits the Tories or the SNP more is an interesting question, and not at all as obvious as some PBers would like to think).

3. LD decline (if it carries on/remains). Again, I'm not sure which way this would go.

• Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    When the reshuffle happens all the conspirators will be out, so their threats of leaving if Benn goes will be empty anyway since Corbyn will sack all of them before they resign.

As for the supposed eruption of Labour MP's over Maria Eagle, let the unnamed independent MP from Rochdale and his friends from Leicester and Denmark moan as much as they like, they are yesterday's men (and women) and Labour holds them in utter contempt after their blatant attempts to destroy their own party.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,057

Hmmm

Ex-MP Lembit Opik says he will look like George Clooney after cosmetic surgery on his 'wonky' face

Former Lib Dem MP Lembit Opik is to undergo an operation on his face
    He suffered extensive facial injuries following a 1998 paragliding accident
    Mr Opik says the six-hour operation will leave him looking 'unrecognisable'
    Politician hopes new face will make him resemble actor George Clooney

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3382718/Ex-MP-Lembit-Opik-wants-look-like-Clooney-cosmetic-surgery.html#ixzz3wBleOcJA

Definitely new depths of improbability from the Mail!
  • Options

New Thread New Thread

• Options

malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

Mr. 1000, one suspects the future of Mr. Cameron will be decided by Mrs. Cameron.

Ha, true. He gives the impression of being a family man who would like to spend time watching his kids grow up, away from the pressure of office. It's a side-effect of politicians becoming younger, and of people in general marrying later in life.
    Not to me he, comes across as a snake oil salesman. He will be on lots of boards enriching himself even further for a few hours attendance a year like all these privileged elite plonkers do.
    A fair description, IMHO! One of Malc's better posts.
    You have got to be joking. The worlds leading snake oil salesman is Salmond
    The fact that they are both snos's doest detract from the accuracy of Malc's description re Cameron.
    I'm afraid it does. Sadly you and he seem to have a lot in common.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

Merkel mucks up.
    twitter.com/lefty_loons/status/683625130476605440

If she did she did after an election victory in in September 2013, and by trawling through some dubious websites you have only just found it. What a life you must lead.
    At least we know that Merkel is not a triumphalist rabid nationalist.
    If you want to remain sane do not read YouTube comments

• Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865

Scott_P said:

@Mr_Mark_Brown: You'd think it was nothing more than a storm in a tea cake, but the boycott brigade are thrashing their keyboards https://t.co/4N7Cdf1Ctg

Never heard of them but I'm surprised they felt it necessary to drop the Scottish lion -- we are used to lions on our eggs and, in England, on our football shirts. In any case, is there any evidence of Scottish produce being shunned by shoppers south of Hadrian's Wall? Have Scotch drinkers switched en masse to Jameson's or Jack Daniel's? It looks like the marketing department has a tin ear.
    Fraid so.....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/foodanddrinknews/11204872/Scotland-loses-out-as-Japanese-whisky-named-best-in-the-world.html

www.forbes.com › sites › 2013/02/20 › s...
    20 Feb 2013 - If you like single malt Scotch whisky, then you owe it to yourself to try some of ... Last year the New York Times reported that Suntory's US whiskey sales jumped 44% in twelve months.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,067
    Mortimer said:

SeanT said:

Scott_P said:

@Mr_Mark_Brown: You'd think it was nothing more than a storm in a tea cake, but the boycott brigade are thrashing their keyboards https://t.co/4N7Cdf1Ctg

Never heard of them but I'm surprised they felt it necessary to drop the Scottish lion -- we are used to lions on our eggs and, in England, on our football shirts. In any case, is there any evidence of Scottish produce being shunned by shoppers south of Hadrian's Wall? Have Scotch drinkers switched en masse to Jameson's or Jack Daniel's? It looks like the marketing department has a tin ear.
    Not at all. If you read the article they are trying to surf the "Great British Bake Off" wave. Sees eminently sensible to me, as the programme has become an emblem of new inclusive Britishness, and our great tradition of cakes (not that I ever watch it, I prefer Masterchef)
    I did read it but cannot see why removing the lion was necessary: I don't think we care and frankly, I doubt we'd recognise the lion as Scottish anyway. And yes, Masterchef is far better than Bake Off. If Mark hasn't got a star in the next two years, we should boycott French tyres.

Edit: also, Bake Off is generally abbreviated to Bake Off, without the Great British, just as Strictly is known as Strictly.
    “We could have said Scottish but you’re then promoting Scotland. We’re British.”

Seems a tad...ideological.
    You meant logical, right? Damn autocorrect.

I am proud to be British and English (and Welsh and N.Irish, too). There isn't any politics there. Just patriotism.
    Barf Barf
This discussion has been closed.