Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Harry Hayfield’s Local By-Election Preview

2»

Comments

• Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    edited June 2013
    Dartford (Lab Gain)

Labour 536
    Conservative 376
    UKIP 268

Plymouth

Lab 1247
    UKIP 765
    Con 486
    Ind 290
    LD 82
    TUSC 22

Rutland
    Con 330
    Ind 260
    UKIP 130
    Ind 24

Wyre Forest

Health Concern 1055
    Ukip 892
    Con 735
    Lab 607
    Green 77
    Mason 39
    LD 30

Billericay East
    Con 790
    UKIP 464
    Lab 170
    LD 128
    NF 3
  • Options
    RichardBRichardB Posts: 4
    Southway, Plymouth

Lab 1247, UKIP 764, Con 487, Ind 290, LD 82. Lab gain from Con.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    MikeK said:

UKIP are getting results percentages in all these by elections, far different from YouGov polls.
    Perhaps they should look at their methodology or go out of buisiness.

The Yougov polls are for a GE with 60% turnout , the council by elections have a turnout of 20 to 30 % .
  • Options
    Rod - I got a broadway B1 piano, which is good and in your range. Helpful reviews on this site ukpianos.co.uk
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523

MikeK said:

UKIP are getting results percentages in all these by elections, far different from YouGov polls.

The Yougov polls are for a GE with 60% turnout , the council by elections have a turnout of 20 to 30 % .
    direction of travel
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    edited June 2013
    Wyre Forest

Health Concern 1055
    Ukip 892
    Con 735
    Lab 607
    waiting for other candidates figures...

Well UKIP failed to hold this seat but considereing the hostile press the former UKIP councillor received thats not surprising. What is good though is that UKIP still came a strong second to a well known local figure.
  • Options

MikeK said:

That may be Mark, but it's the TREND that counts.
  • Options
    I should correct myself. Earlier I said that one of the 2 South Tyneside wards was in South Shields. It's not true. They are both in Jarrow.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Bilsthorpe & Farnsfield Ward, Newark & Sherwood
    Con 1174
    Lab 682

Everything counted and reported. All very fast tonight. Well done, councils (and activists and local papers on twitter)
  • Options
    MikeK said:

MikeK said:

The TREND tonight is UKIP losing both seats where they had councillors .

• Options
    And thanks for your sterling work AndreaParma_82.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,377
    Dartford percentages

Lab 45
    Con 32
    UKIP 23
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,556
    From the Times - Ashcroft Boris polling

More than a third of UKIP voters would be more likely to support the Conservatives if Boris Johnson was the party’s leader, new polling has revealed.

A majority of UKIP’s voters also said the Tories would be more likely to win a general election with the London mayor as leader in a sign that he may be one of the only figures who could arrest the rise of Nigel Farage’s party.

However, the polling also confirmed that many fear he is not Prime Ministerial material. Only 29 per cent said Mr Johnson would be the best Prime Minister, behind David Cameron (33 per cent) and Ed Miliband (31 per cent), but ahead of Nick Clegg (7 per cent).

.....UKIP voters were the only group more likely to name Mr Johnson as the best Prime Minister, rather than a current party leader. Conservative supporters preferred Mr Cameron over the London mayor as the best Prime Minister by 81 per cent to 18 per cent.

• Options
    It's a pleasure!
  • Options
    Plymouth percentages:

Lab 43
    UKIP 26
    Con 17
    Ind 10
    LD 3
    TUSC 1
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,886
    The woman speaking for Labour on Question Time reminds me of a younger and slightly less mad version of Liz Jones.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,556
    A majority of voters (53 per cent) said Mr Johnson was “different from most other politicians, and in a good way”.
  • Options
    Rutland percentages:

Con 44
    Ind 35
    UKIP 17
    Ind 3
  • Options
    Tonights polling trend shows that the dice are still rolling for UKIPs benefit. Perhaps not sixes yet, but fours and fives a plenty. ;)
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,785
    edited June 2013
    Lord Ashcroft - non pay wall :

http://lordashcroftpolls.com/2013/06/are-you-serious-boris-the-tories-and-the-voters/

There is no doubt that Boris is a great asset to his party, and I think his time as Mayor has shown that he is up to the demands of executive office. But ultimately, were it to come to pass, the fact of having Boris as leader would not make the things that stop people voting Tory go away, and it would be a gamble to assume he would trump them. The question “are you serious?” would not just be one the voters asked of Boris: it would demand an answer of a party that thought an entertaining new leader would be enough by itself to win them over.
  • Options
    Wyre Forest percentages

Health Concern 31
    UKIP 26
    Con 21
    Lab 18
    Green 2
    Ind 1
    LD 1

• Options
    Billericay percentages:

Con 51
    UKIP 30
    Lab 11
    LD 8
    NF 0.1
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

The woman speaking for Labour on Question Time reminds me of a younger and slightly less mad version of Liz Jones.

She's another LIz: Liz Kendal
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Newark percentages:

Con 63
    Lab 37
  • Options
    MikeK said:

Tonights polling trend shows that the dice are still rolling for UKIPs benefit. Perhaps not sixes yet, but fours and fives a plenty. ;)

I agree that they are still picking up the protest/racist votes . In Primrose ward their vote numerically was almost exactly the same as the BNP got in a previous by election in the ward in 2010 . In Dartford their vote numerically was almost exactly the same as the Eng Dems got in 2011 . In Basildon and Plymouth their vote numerically was almost unchanged from what they previously got in these wards .
  • Options

MikeK said:

MikeK said:

The polls show a marked decline. The votes shows a more or less steady 20-25%. That's a local by-election percentage so the number isn't relevant but there's no sign of a *marked* decline.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    SeanT said:

Neil said:

SeanT said:

Question for pb-ers.

What do Charlene Downes, Mary Ann Leneghan, Gavin Hopley, Christopher Yates have in common?

You read about them all on stormfront?
    I HAD to read about them all on stormfront, sadly, because I was unable to read about them on Wikipedia.

Why?
    The leftists are better organised...? for instance, Peter Tatchell's article includes, it seems, every time he blew his nose or farted, and is longer than Foot's, Kinnock's and Miliband's. I once tried some mild, objective pruning only to be reverted within minutes on the spurious grounds that the changes had not been "agreed."

Or take the rewriting of history. US case law, relating to Obama's eligibility as POTUS has been twisted and subverted on Wikipedia. It is clear there are "gatekeepers" assigned to "protect" sensitive articles, in flagrant contravention of Wikipedia policy, and to bend them to fit current leftist orthodoxy.
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    Looks like UKIP is a busted flush and Tory switchers are learning their lesson the hard way.

Coming second and letting Labour in is not a platform for future gains.

• Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    AveryLP said:

Looks like UKIP is a busted flush

I'll remind you of this quote the day after the 2014 set of elections, Avery.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    MrJones said:

MikeK said:

MikeK said:

The polls show a marked decline. The votes shows a more or less steady 20-25%. That's a local by-election percentage so the number isn't relevant but there's no sign of a *marked* decline.
    Polls are measuring GE VI . They are not measuring willingness to protest vote in council by elections . Clearly willingness to turnout of angry UKIP voters is higher in the latter than that of other parties .
  • Options

MikeK said:

I agree that they are still picking up the protest/racist votes . In Primrose ward their vote numerically was almost exactly the same as the BNP got in a previous by election in the ward in 2010 . In Dartford their vote numerically was almost exactly the same as the Eng Dems got in 2011 . In Basildon and Plymouth their vote numerically was almost unchanged from what they previously got in these wards .
    Not collapsing then, and this at the start of the silly season and the summer hols. Phew! you had me worried there.

• Options
    Good night!!!
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Neil said:

AveryLP said:

I would hate to think of you anthropomorphing into Pork, Neil.

My predictions should be treated with the same respect as Roger's.

But the point about coming second and splitting the right vote being a lesson to voters is valid.

• Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    What can I have ever done to you to deserve that, Avery?!
  • Options
    MikeK said:

MikeK said:

Not collapsing then, and this at the start of the silly season and the summer hols. Phew! you had me worried there.

You are being rather optimistic that accepting defecting councillors such as a slum landlord convicted and fined £ 45,000 with £ 22,000 costs for putting his tenants' lives at risk will lead to increased support for UKIP .
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    AveryLP said:

Neil said:

AveryLP said:

I don't really talk about green issues either Seth so your confusion is understandable. :)

• Options

MrJones said:

MikeK said:

MikeK said:

Polls are measuring GE VI . They are not measuring willingness to protest vote in council by elections . Clearly willingness to turnout of angry UKIP voters is higher in the latter than that of other parties .
    So you're saying there's been a divergence - willingness to vote in the general and therefore polling has headed downward while local protest voting has remained steady. Possible i guess.
  • Options
    Neil said:

What can I have ever done to you to deserve that, Avery?!

You will notice it is starting to happen when it takes you 87 attempts to pass through a portal.

• Options
    Mick_Pork said:

AveryLP said:

Neil said:

AveryLP said:

I don't really talk about green issues either Seth so your confusion is understandable. :)

I'm still thinking about that one, Pork.

• Options

Rod - I got a broadway B1 piano, which is good and in your range. Helpful reviews on this site ukpianos.co.uk

Hey thanks. Doesn't look a bad piano, but only has 64 polyphony instead of the 128 found on the new Yamahas and Casios, and not as many bells and whistles. Plus I was really wanting the option of a portable keyboard, which the B1 isn't.
    The Casio sounds nice?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEV9LeW_RRQ
  • Options
    MrJones said:

MrJones said:

MikeK said:

MikeK said:

So you're saying there's been a divergence - willingness to vote in the general and therefore polling has headed downward while local protest voting has remained steady. Possible i guess.
    It is not a proven fact but a possible explanation . I would draw your attention to the previous by election in Primrose ward in Feb 2010 3 months before the May GE and the BNP vote which was almost identical numerically to UKIP in yesterday's by election . That vote was not registering in the GE VI polls at the time and nor did it manifest itself in a GE 3 months later .

• Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    edited June 2013
    AveryLP said:

Mick_Pork said:

AveryLP said:

Neil said:

AveryLP said:

I'm still thinking about that one, Pork.

Yet more confusion Seth? Disappointing. Your ability to grasp the obvious is sadly hampered by your refusal to accept unpleasant truths. Sometimes there are facts that you can't just spin away. 87 of them is indeed the correct amount.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    RodCrosby said:

Hey thanks. Doesn't look a bad piano, but only has 64 polyphony instead of the 128 found on the new Yamahas and Casios, and not as many bells and whistles. Plus I was really wanting the option of a portable keyboard, which the B1 isn't.
    The Casio sounds nice?
    If you are serious look at the Korg range.

You will need to spend dollars on samples though.

The result can be impressive:

http://www.npr.org/event/music/140504948/jenny-lin-tiny-desk-concert
  • Options

MrJones said:

MrJones said:

MikeK said:

MikeK said:

It is not a proven fact but a possible explanation . I would draw your attention to the previous by election in Primrose ward in Feb 2010 3 months before the May GE and the BNP vote which was almost identical numerically to UKIP in yesterday's by election . That vote was not registering in the GE VI polls at the time and nor did it manifest itself in a GE 3 months later .

Well at least we have one known fact which is UKIP have been getting a steady 20-25% in local by-elections.
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

RodCrosby said:

The Casio sounds nice?

You will need to spend dollars on samples though.

Thanks. It's all in the ear of the beholder. I didn't really go for that. Sounds more like a harpsichord. Very little sustain in the notes.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    RodCrosby said:

AveryLP said:

RodCrosby said:

The Casio sounds nice?

You will need to spend dollars on samples though [and playing style and pedalling].

Thanks. It's all in the ear of the beholder. I didn't really go for that. Sounds more like a harpsichord. Very little sustain in the notes.
    It all depends on the synth and samples though.

Here is a youtube with 'German Grand' [Steinway] samples loaded:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFrzlzlQcdo

And Scarborough Fair with 'Japanese Grand' [Yamaha] samples:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byLb5CsZMcc

• Options
    edited June 2013
    AveryLP said:

Here is a youtube with 'German' [Steinway Grand] samples loaded:

And Scarborough Fair with 'Japanese' [Yamaha] samples:

Very nice, but is it in my price range, and how much faffing around/extra cost is there for the samples?
    I think I'd be happier with a slightly inferior/cheaper sound that was straight out of the box...
  • Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596
    RodCrosby said:

Very nice, but is it in my price range, and how much faffing around/extra cost is there for the samples?
    I think I'd be happier with a slightly inferior/cheaper sound that was straight out of the box...

I'd guess the way the recording is made for youtube makes a difference too? the only sure way is going to be to try them yourself, I suppose.

I have an old yamaha grand (made of wire and wood)- doesn't sound much like that video though. admittedly I'm not generally playing simon and garfunkel on it
  • Options
    Talking of piano... it's 80 years this year since this was recorded.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BTw6epdq7g

I think I'll buy a tambourine, instead...
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    RodCrosby said:

AveryLP said:

Here is a youtube with 'German' [Steinway Grand] samples loaded:

And Scarborough Fair with 'Japanese' [Yamaha] samples:

From £250 to £3000 is the range, with the Kronos model (as in the youtube vids) towards the top end.

The 'German Grand' and 'Japanese Grand' samples come preloaded (they are clones of separately available Steinway and Yamaha sample sets).

It is best to keep the synth and sample stuff (the software) separate and run it on a reasonably powerful and high capacity pc linked to the keyboard.

The quality of the keyboard is in the play of its keys and the degree to which the feel matches the real thing. You can only judge that by trying various models and price points out in a showroom.

If you don't want to separate pc and keyboard then you are buying the processing integrated. It will be less flexible and you won't get the highest quality sound but most will be more than happy with simplicity and 95% of the sound potential.

• Options
    PBModeratorPBModerator Posts: 661
    new thread
This discussion has been closed.