Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Coinciding with the traditional Boxing Day meets the tradit

13»

Comments

• Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,045
    GeoffM said:

murali_s said:

Two words - Daily Express!

Jeez - are people on the juice or are they really that thick?

PS - GeoffM - you were meant to have a bet with me that 2014 was going to be the warmest year ever recorded! Seemed like you chickened out - shame!

Anyway, any bets for 2016? I say with anthropogenic forcing on the climate in full gear, 2016 will be the warmest year ever recorded - take me up on this bet??

I would have bet with you if you'd sent me a Vanilla message with the framing of the conditions as you said you would.

And I would have won.

NASA admitted that there was only a 38% probability that 2014 was warmest by 0.01C with a margin of error of 0.1C. There we go ... I even quoted NASA in metric so that your tiny brain could understand your loss.

Statistical tie with 2005 and 2010 would have given the bet to me.

http://hotair.com/archives/2015/01/18/ooops-nasa-now-38-sure-2014-was-warmest-year-on-record/
    I would rather trust the WMO than NASA (you should look at the verification stats on NASA's own NWP model - it's pitiful!!)

https://www.wmo.int/media/content/warming-trend-continues-2014
  • Options
    murali_s said:

Tim_B said:

murali_s said:

Tim_B said:

murali_s said:

GeoffM said:

murali_s said:

Tim_B said:

A brief weather note. It was 75 here yesterday. Same today....

This is a British blog - we use degrees Celsius here!
    You might do. Don't drag "we" into anything.
    I apologise! However, most if not all young people use degrees Celsius. Moreover many old people now have no issues with using the more logical degrees Celsius. Anyway this is an issue which over time will resolve itself.
    They don't use celsius here. We still have ounces, pounds, pints and gallons - though the last 2 are not imperial size.

I don't have a problem with celsius - just no use for it.

So if it's 75 in Atlanta, I'll say it's 75, not 23 or whatever it is in Crazius. If I'm talking about the temp in England I'd give it in celsius. When I left in the late 70s the UK still used fahrenheit.
    Again and sorry to be pedantic this is a British blog - degrees Celsius is the unit of temperature used here. Fahrenheit means nothing to me and the majority here. I don't give a monkeys what temperature scale they use in the US - if they want to be archaic, it's up to them.

It's akin to me moving to France and posting on this site in French because it's the language they use there!!
    If you want to be pedantic, pick something important, not the fact it's snowing at a bowl game on the Mexican border. I will not engage with you further on this ridiculous topic
    You started this mate - why would I care about a stupid bowl game!

Game, set and match!
    I can't recall Tim B starting an argument here.

Yanks use degrees F, Brits used to use degrees F as near-universally as the Yanks do, older Brits still use degrees F (less, I suspect, since the last weather forecasts switched to degrees C only - when did that happen?) and the press certainly do, on occasion.

There's pedantry and there's being a bit of a prat, and the line between them is very thin (or perhaps there is no such line - I think the spectrum from "socially acceptable, polite and inexcessive pedantry" to "irritating pillockdom" crosses a middle ground where most practical pedantry sits, half-pedantic and half-prat).

I'm not going to stand for people being told that "we" have moved on and archaic people should switch to the proper terminology... I've become more comfortable with metric myself, but I'm getting some preemptive self-defence in before the young upstarts start picking me up on whatever perfectly normal thing I'm accused of having got fossilized over!
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

GeoffM said:

murali_s said:

Tim_B said:

murali_s said:

GeoffM said:

murali_s said:

Tim_B said:

\

I apologise! However, most if not all young people use degrees Celsius. Moreover many old people now have no issues with using the more logical degrees Celsius. Anyway this is an issue which over time will resolve itself.
    They don't use celsius here. We still have ounces, pounds, pints and gallons - though the last 2 are not imperial size.

So if it's 75 in Atlanta, I'll say it's 75, not 23 or whatever it is in Crazius. If I'm talking about the temp in England I'd give it in celsius. When I left in the late 70s the UK still used fahrenheit.
    Again and sorry to be pedantic this is a British blog - degrees Celsius is the unit of temperature used here. Fahrenheit means nothing to me and the majority here. I don't give a monkeys what temperature scale they use in the US - if they want to be archaic, it's up to them.

It's akin to me moving to France and posting on this site in French because it's the language they use there!!
    Some trivial Google-Fu offers an Express front page about 100F in July last year.

I'm sure there are more recent examples too but because it's for you I can't be arsed.

http://www.thepaperboy.com/uk/2014/07/16/front-pages-headlines.cfm

Why would they publish something that nobody understood?
    I've been posting on here for years quoting fahrenheit temperatures, and I think this person is the first to complain about it. Then to claim I started the argument.

I wonder where the server is located?
    I suspect that deg F is used in UK when it means a headline, as 100 degF! Othewise we British do seem to have migrated away from Fahrenheit..
    As a child my mother used to worry is my temperature wasn't 98.4. Now there's concern if my grandchildren are much away from 37.
    Can we draw a line under this - it's a fatuous subject not worthy of argument.

I have no problem with anyone or any nation using celsius. The nation where I live doesn't so I work in fahrenheit. Is there really anyone here who can't translate from one to the other within a few degrees in their head?

By the way it's almost 7pm and still over 70 here :lol:
    Is that 7pm metric time?
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

GeoffM said:

murali_s said:

Tim_B said:

murali_s said:

GeoffM said:

murali_s said:

Tim_B said:

A brief weather note. It was 75 here yesterday. Same today.

The Hyundai Sun Bowl started at noon mountain time at - yes - The Sun Bowl (it really is called that) in El Paso TX. At game time it was 68. Within 90 minutes the temperature had dropped to freezing and it was snowing heavily for a while. It's now raining and 38.

Meanwhile 650 miles away in Dallas TX the Cotton Bowl game is also being played. started at 70 and sunny, now it's pouring with rain and cooler.

This weather is just bizarre. They keep saying it's a big El Nino year.

Some trivial Google-Fu offers an Express front page about 100F in July last year.

I'm sure there are more recent examples too but because it's for you I can't be arsed.

I've been posting on here for years quoting fahrenheit temperatures, and I think this person is the first to complain about it. Then to claim I started the argument.

You have to understand that murali is simply not that bright and so has trouble with anything that doesn't involve either very simple concepts or big round numbers. The rest of us can switch back and forth between metric and imperial with ease - something most competent scientists can do.
  • Options
    murali_s said:

GeoffM said:

murali_s said:

PS - GeoffM - you were meant to have a bet with me that 2014 was going to be the warmest year ever recorded! Seemed like you chickened out - shame!

Anyway, any bets for 2016? I say with anthropogenic forcing on the climate in full gear, 2016 will be the warmest year ever recorded - take me up on this bet??

I would have bet with you if you'd sent me a Vanilla message with the framing of the conditions as you said you would.

And I would have won.

NASA admitted that there was only a 38% probability that 2014 was warmest by 0.01C with a margin of error of 0.1C. There we go ... I even quoted NASA in metric so that your tiny brain could understand your loss.

http://hotair.com/archives/2015/01/18/ooops-nasa-now-38-sure-2014-was-warmest-year-on-record/
    I would rather trust the WMO than NASA (you should look at the verification stats on NASA's own NWP model - it's pitiful!!)

And I would rather trust the satellites than the utterly corrupted ground station temperature series. Of course you don't like that because it puts the lie to your idiotic ideas.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    MikeL said:

Has anyone ever done a major Cabinet or Shadow Cabinet reshuffle within less than 4 months of appointing a Cabinet / Shadow Cabinet?

Replacing Benn with Abbott is surely going to play very badly with both the media and floating voters.

Whilst reshuffles normally have very little impact with the public, such a change is bound to generate a lot of adverse publicity.

Irrespective of Abbott's political views, she is very well known to the public and I doubt many people see her as anywhere near heavyweight enough to occupy the Foreign Secretary position (even if only Shadow).

I think you are prejudiced against Abbott. She , after all, went to Cambridge - so she is definitely not a mug ! Of course, this in itself does not prove anything. My objection to her centres around sending her son to a fee paying school after attacking such an education for years.

Benn, on the other hand, is just very average.
  • Options
    murali_s said:

GeoffM said:

murali_s said:

And I would have won.

If you've decided that NASA data doesn't suit your bet framing then I don't think we are going anywhere with this.

EndEx
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Has anyone ever done a major Cabinet or Shadow Cabinet reshuffle within less than 4 months of appointing a Cabinet / Shadow Cabinet?

Replacing Benn with Abbott is surely going to play very badly with both the media and floating voters.

Whilst reshuffles normally have very little impact with the public, such a change is bound to generate a lot of adverse publicity.

Irrespective of Abbott's political views, she is very well known to the public and I doubt many people see her as anywhere near heavyweight enough to occupy the Foreign Secretary position (even if only Shadow).

We're about to see a modern day night of the long knives.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

I reckon if Nick P had won his seat back* he'd have had a decent shot at a shad cab spot. Corbyn is desperately short of MPs both sympathetic to his programme (even if not 100% behind it) and appearing credible, considerate and moderate. Shorter still of sympathetic MPs with stature, and in the public consciousness Abbott doesn't really have it. To that extent it would surprise me if he got rid of Benn altogether, but I can't see Benn happily accepting a demotion either and a promotion or sideways move hardly seems on the cards.

* Though in this counterfactual it's hard to imagine Corbyn having become LOTO, admittedly.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    GeoffM said:

murali_s said:

And I would have won.

I remember reading that the climate was warmer in Roman Britain than it is today based on flora and fauna excavated from Roman gardens etc. Apparently tree rings show the same thing. Then there is the medieval warming and cooling periods.

The whole anthropogenic thing worries me. I don't doubt the planet is heating up and cooling over time, but if it was warmer in Roman times than now, the whole car exhaust and industry thing needs more work.

This the best I could find quickly

https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn22040-tree-rings-suggest-roman-world-was-warmer-than-thought/
  • Options
    Fahrenheit just shows how backward the Americans are. Didn't a martian probe crash because there was a mix up between feet and meters - both used in the same patch of programming !

The boiling point of water is 212F. How did they come up with something as stupid as that [ actually the Brits before we became good Europeans ! ]
  • Options
    TomTom Posts: 273
    surbiton said:

MikeL said:

I think you are prejudiced against Abbott. She , after all, went to Cambridge - so she is definitely not a mug ! Of course, this in itself does not prove anything. My objection to her centres around sending her son to a fee paying school after attacking such an education for years.

Benn, on the other hand, is just very average.
    Her first big problem is no-one likes her. She managed 16% in the labour mayoral selection at the same time that corbyn got 60%. And I'm afraid that despite going to Cambridge she has at no point given any evidence of either intelligence or political nouse.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,610
    edited December 2015
    Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

GeoffM said:

murali_s said:

Tim_B said:

murali_s said:

GeoffM said:

murali_s said:

Tim_B said:

\

I suspect that deg F is used in UK when it means a headline, as 100 degF! Othewise we British do seem to have migrated away from Fahrenheit..
    As a child my mother used to worry is my temperature wasn't 98.4. Now there's concern if my grandchildren are much away from 37.

I have no problem with anyone or any nation using celsius. The nation where I live doesn't so I work in fahrenheit. Is there really anyone here who can't translate from one to the other within a few degrees in their head?

21 DEGREES Celsius

(don't forget the Degrees!)
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

GeoffM said:

murali_s said:

And I would have won.

I remember reading that the climate was warmer in Roman Britain than it is today based on flora and fauna excavated from Roman gardens etc. Apparently tree rings show the same thing. Then there is the medieval warming and cooling periods.

The whole anthropogenic thing worries me. I don't doubt the planet is heating up and cooling over time, but if it was warmer in Roman times than now, the whole car exhaust and industry thing needs more work.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn22040-tree-rings-suggest-roman-world-was-warmer-than-thought/
    It has to do with precession [ the Earth's tilt ] - but we already knew about that.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Tim_B said:

Is that 7pm metric time?
    The Fitzwilliam Museum (in Cambridge, for the uninitiated) has some fascinating decimal clocks.

http://museumsuk.net/en/collection/object/80767/decimal-clock
  • Options

Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

GeoffM said:

murali_s said:

Tim_B said:

murali_s said:

GeoffM said:

murali_s said:

Tim_B said:

\

21 DEGREES Celsius

(don't forget the Degrees!)
    Be honest - you didn't do that in your head did you? ;)
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Tim_B said:

GeoffM said:

murali_s said:

And I would have won.

It has to do with precession [ the Earth's tilt ] - but we already knew about that.
    5,000 years ago, sea levels were 5 metres higher than they are today.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Fahrenheit just shows how backward the Americans are. Didn't a martian probe crash because there was a mix up between feet and meters - both used in the same patch of programming !

The boiling point of water is 212F. How did they come up with something as stupid as that [ actually the Brits before we became good Europeans ! ]

The boiling point of water for many scientists is 373.2 deg Kelvin.
  • Options

[snippety snippety snip]
    Brits still use degrees F (less, I suspect, since the last weather forecasts switched to degrees C only - when did that happen?) and the press certainly do, on occasion.
    [snip]

I actually noticed this happen, but only really in retrospect. It wasn't a sudden thing.

The BBC used to say "XdegC or YdegF"
    That became "XdegC which is YdegF"
    Which became "XdegC or if you prefer, YdegF"
    Then they started to use phrases like "XdegC which is YdegF in old money"
    After that it disappeared.

The BBC is more insidious as a cultural enforcer of EU-enforced change than we imagine.
  • Options

murali_s said:

GeoffM said:

murali_s said:

And I would have won.

And I would rather trust the satellites than the utterly corrupted ground station temperature series. Of course you don't like that because it puts the lie to your idiotic ideas.
    What idiotic ideas? Care to explain. I would go with 99.9% of the scientific consensus on this than a loon like you. The thing is in years to come or even sooner, you'll cross over to the same side of the argument.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

[snippety snippety snip]
    Brits still use degrees F (less, I suspect, since the last weather forecasts switched to degrees C only - when did that happen?) and the press certainly do, on occasion.
    [snip]

I actually noticed this happen, but only really in retrospect. It wasn't a sudden thing.

The BBC used to say "XdegC or YdegF"
    That became "XdegC which is YdegF"
    Which became "XdegC or if you prefer, YdegF"
    Then they started to use phrases like "XdegC which is YdegF in old money"
    After that it disappeared.

The BBC is more insidious as a cultural enforcer of EU-enforced change than we imagine.
    Nowadays they just say "15 Celsius", without the degrees!
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Tim_B said:

GeoffM said:

murali_s said:

Tim_B said:

murali_s said:

GeoffM said:

murali_s said:

Tim_B said:

The Hyundai Sun Bowl started at noon mountain time at - yes - The Sun Bowl (it really is called that) in El Paso TX. At game time it was 68. Within 90 minutes the temperature had dropped to freezing and it was snowing heavily for a while. It's now raining and 38.

Meanwhile 650 miles away in Dallas TX the Cotton Bowl game is also being played. started at 70 and sunny, now it's pouring with rain and cooler.

PB.com is hosted in Rackspace in London.

But with a name like Murali he's probably in his mother's basement in Tamil Nadu.
    I'm British. Don't know about you?

This is a rascist comment and hope that the mods take appropriate action.
  • Options

surbiton said:

Nope, 373.2 Kelvins!

Kelvins don't take "degrees" like Celsius or Fahrenheit
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Disgraceful.

Sunday Times reporting David Cameron is going to give Lynton Crosby a Knighthood.

Lynton deserves a Royal Dukedom as a minimum

Actually it is disgraceful. Knighthoods are given for public service (including MPs, which is something of a grey area). If he wants to reward Crosby for political services, he can make him a working peer.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Disgraceful.

Sunday Times reporting David Cameron is going to give Lynton Crosby a Knighthood.

Actually it is disgraceful. Knighthoods are given for public service (including MPs, which is something of a grey area). If he wants to reward Crosby for political services, he can make him a working peer.
    We already have enough unelected "Lords"!
  • Options

MikeL said:

I reckon if Nick P had won his seat back* he'd have had a decent shot at a shad cab spot. Corbyn is desperately short of MPs both sympathetic to his programme (even if not 100% behind it) and appearing credible, considerate and moderate. Shorter still of sympathetic MPs with stature, and in the public consciousness Abbott doesn't really have it. To that extent it would surprise me if he got rid of Benn altogether, but I can't see Benn happily accepting a demotion either and a promotion or sideways move hardly seems on the cards.

* Though in this counterfactual it's hard to imagine Corbyn having become LOTO, admittedly.
    You are right. Even outside of politics NPxMP is so far up Corbyn's arse that Nick can see between the guy's front teeth.

As an MP he would have happily killed all of our first born for a ShadCab spot.
  • Options
    murali_s said:

murali_s said:

GeoffM said:

murali_s said:

And I would have won.

What idiotic ideas? Care to explain. I would go with 99.9% of the scientific consensus on this than a loon like you. The thing is in years to come or even sooner, you'll cross over to the same side of the argument.
    Is this another figure you have just made up out of thin air. Every time you post on here about anything scientific you show what a thicko you really are. Not least in the way you just make stuff up. I would suggest that before you try posting on here about anything you actually try to understand just a little bit about the subject. It does help to avoid you looking completely and utterly stupid.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Disgraceful.

It was a public service stopping Ed Miliband and the SNP from forming the government.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,118
    edited December 2015
    We've changed several measuring systems over the years. I don't think that the Americans ever seriously used the old Apothecaries weights and measures system, did they? As a pharmacy student back in the 50's I had to use both that and metric, and we spent a significant amount of time and energy of converting drug doses from one to the other, as prescriptions at the time could be written in either, or, on occasion, both!

Then, a few years after I qualified it was decided on high that it was metric or nothing and,with the odd antediluvian exception, everyone changed, in a very short time indeed.

Still got a set of Apothecaries weights with the signs for drachms, scruples and so on on them. Destined for the local museum, with an explanatory card, some time in 2016!
  • Options

Charles said:

Disgraceful.

It was a public service stopping Ed Miliband and the SNP from forming the government.
    But the polls lied to us!
  • Options
    Watermelons

Jeremy Corbyn 'to protect Caroline Lucas in pact with Greens'

Labour leader refuses to rule out an election deal to allow the Green Party MP to stand unopposed by Labour in Brighton Pavilion at the 2020 election

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/Jeremy_Corbyn/12069821/Jeremy-Corbyn-to-protect-Caroline-Lucas-in-pact-with-Greens.html
  • Options
    murali_s said:

GeoffM said:

Tim_B said:

GeoffM said:

murali_s said:

Tim_B said:

murali_s said:

GeoffM said:

murali_s said:

Tim_B said:

But with a name like Murali he's probably in his mother's basement in Tamil Nadu.

Is that worse than calling someone a loon or the other insults you've dished out this evening?

AND FOR GOD'S SAKE LEARN TO SPELL RACIST.

you can hardly accuse someone of something you can't spell without it reflecting on you.
  • Options

surbiton said:

Nope, 373.2 Kelvins!

No, you are wrong.

Pre 1968 it would have been "degrees Kelvin" or "degrees absolute"

After being incorporated into SI units it became "kelvins" with a lower case k

So your pedantry fails you, young man!
    Which makes it 1:1 to me on the pedantry front tonight (if you ignore the idiot who was rambling on about paper sizes)
  • Options
    In an attempt to answer the "when did the weather forecasts go entirely metric" I stumbled upon

http://metricviews.org.uk/2012/10/50-years-of-celsius-weather-forecasts-–-time-to-kill-off-fahrenheit-for-good/

Good grief... 136 comments, largely from people who need to get out more, about how evil degrees F are and how people who use them - or even provide them as an additional conversion for the convenience of those unfamiliar with the newer system - are backwards and uneducated. My favourite one is:
    Never mind the weather, degrees Fahrenheit has come to Formula One motor racing on BBC TV!
    Suzie Perry today gave the track temperature as 50 deg C and thats 121 Fahrenheit …
    I guess she must have been listening to BBC R4 on 19th July and thought ‘that sounds like good fun, I will try that myself next week.
    Suzie Perry has gone from a breath of fresh air this year to nothing. Hero to zero in one move.
    I did note later that David Coulthard slipped up giving out a distance in inches then very quickly corrected himself to cm, at least the effort is being made.
    Sheesh. If you look through the world with peculiarly partisan spectacles on any issue, it can do all kinds of bad stuff to your sense of perspective.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

GeoffM said:

murali_s said:

And I would have won.

Not just Roman but also Bronze age before it and Medieval afterwards. The warmest post glacial period was in the mesolithic around 6000 BC (a time known as the Holocene Climactic Optimum). We have cooled steadily since then with occasional sharp jumps in temperature lasting several centuries each time. Right now we have not yet reached the temperatures seen in the Bronze age, Roman or Medieval Warming periods. We may well do in the future but no one can say with any certainty.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

MikeL said:

You are right. Even outside of politics NPxMP is so far up Corbyn's arse that Nick can see between the guy's front teeth.

As an MP he would have happily killed all of our first born for a ShadCab spot.
    When Nick pulls his head out which will hurt more - his nose or his ears? ;)
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

surbiton said:

Nope, 373.2 Kelvins!

No, you are wrong.

Which makes it 1:1 to me on the pedantry front tonight (if you ignore the idiot who was rambling on about paper sizes)
    But it's 2015, not pre-1968, silly Iberian Falangist man!

In 1968, we had a different currency system.
  • Options
    Fahrenheit wasn't even a Brit or a Yank!
  • Options

Tim_B said:

GeoffM said:

murali_s said:

And I would have won.

Not just Roman but also Bronze age before it and Medieval afterwards. The warmest post glacial period was in the mesolithic around 6000 BC (a time known as the Holocene Climactic Optimum). We have cooled steadily since then with occasional sharp jumps in temperature lasting several centuries each time. Right now we have not yet reached the temperatures seen in the Bronze age, Roman or Medieval Warming periods. We may well do in the future but no one can say with any certainty.
    The only thing I can think of to explain it - with all this anthropogenic logic - is that they had more electric cars and solar panels in those days.
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    edited December 2015

GeoffM said:

surbiton said:

Nope, 373.2 Kelvins!

No, you are wrong.

Dr P, as far as I can see he's pointing out you erroneously called them "Kelvins" not "kelvins" in your attempted correction.

Have you ever heard of Muphry's Law?

Perhaps we should all compromise and switch to the Rankine scale instead ;)
  • Options

GeoffM said:

surbiton said:

Nope, 373.2 Kelvins!

No, you are wrong.

Dr P, as far as I can see he's pointing out you erroneously called them "Kelvins" not "kelvins" in your attempted correction.

It wasn't my fault, sir! PLEASE don't deactivate me! I told him not to go, but he's faulty, malfunctioning, babbling on about his mission!
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Is that worse than calling someone a loon or the other insults you've dished out this evening?

you can hardly accuse someone of something you can't spell without it reflecting on you.

Sorry @Tim_B I was getting bored and wanted a decent bite to round the evening off.

CoD BlackOps 3 has just this minute finished downloading (all 50gb of it), I've got a new graphics card, its 1:30am here and I'm wearing sunglasses.

Hit it.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,610
    edited December 2015
    Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

GeoffM said:

murali_s said:

And I would have won.

The only thing I can think of to explain it - with all this anthropogenic logic - is that they had more electric cars and solar panels in those days.
    20,000 years ago, sea-levels were roughly 100 metres (328 feet in old money!!!) lower than they are today. Must have been all those coal-fired power stations built by early humans :)
  • Options
    Actually if you really want to frighten yourself with all this talk of metric vs imperial measurement errors, just go and look up metric decimal point errors in medicine and see how many people die because someone didn't understand the basic metric system and made a decimal point error with the drugs. Nothing to do with the argument of course and I am sure exactly the same thing would happen with any system but it is really quite scary how often these errors are made.
  • Options

GeoffM said:

surbiton said:

Nope, 373.2 Kelvins!

No, you are wrong.

We will use TSE temperature method/scale.

7 on this scale.

Fucking Hot, Very Hot, Hot, Mild, Cold, Very Cold, Fucking Cold
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    edited December 2015
    Geoff M:

NASA is also showing some quite remarkable changes in the polar ice caps also. Much of it entirely inexplicable based on modeling, and entirely contrary what should be happening as we are getting warmer (apparently).

It's quite fascinating. Since 1979 NASA has been recording the growth and melting of the ice caps. In recent times it seems 1979 was quite a high point for polar ice cap volume, with most records prior to satellite measurements based on anecdotal and sporadic data received from shipping and expeditions that have crossed the northern polar regions, but some examples of what we currently know as the polar north was at times entirely melted.

It is quite interesting to watch scientific certainties crumble in real time. Search the net for "polar ice caps melting" stories, you will find tens of thousands of them, right up until about 2012/13.

All of them will tell the same familiar story, we are all doomed, what we are witnessing is outside natural phenomena, this reduction in ice is conclusive evidence of man made global warming, it is one way, that very soon there will be no polar ice caps. David Attenborough talked emphatically about it in one of his stunning documentaries on the polar regions. The science is settled, there can be no doubt, the world is doomed, we are the last generation of people to witness the polar ice caps.

Then from 2013 it all went a bit quiet.

The reason being, that since 2013 both the north and south polar regions have not only taken on all the ice lost over the preceding decade, but more on top. It is estimated that the total volume of polar ice is now about the same as the 1979 rate when measurements first began, which i mentioned earlier, is itself considered a recent historical highpoint of polar size.

I draw attention to this not to say that climate change isnt happened, or that man is not a factor, but, what we see as scientific certainties are absolutely not. We do not know enough about how our climate acts or responds to change to say that we can predict with the remotest certainty what will happen.
  • Options

GeoffM said:

surbiton said:

Nope, 373.2 Kelvins!

No, you are wrong.

7 on this scale.

Capital letters or no?
    Degrees or no? :lol:
  • Options

murali_s said:

murali_s said:

GeoffM said:

murali_s said:

And I would have won.

Is this another figure you have just made up out of thin air. Every time you post on here about anything scientific you show what a thicko you really are. Not least in the way you just make stuff up. I would suggest that before you try posting on here about anything you actually try to understand just a little bit about the subject. It does help to avoid you looking completely and utterly stupid.
    And science is not a democratic process. It is not a show of hands. A particular idea is not right or wrong based on the number of people who agree with it.
  • Options
    The satellite sensors are getting old, and some have already failed. Others are mis-reading.
  • Options

GeoffM said:

surbiton said:

Nope, 373.2 Kelvins!

No, you are wrong.

7 on this scale.

But you are a soft Yorkshire wimp. In Newcastle they only use two measures to cover the whole range of temperatures seen on earth - Fucking Hot and mild. As far as they are concerned the south pole is a 'mite nippy'.
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    edited December 2015

Actually if you really want to frighten yourself with all this talk of metric vs imperial measurement errors, just go and look up metric decimal point errors in medicine and see how many people die because someone didn't understand the basic metric system and made a decimal point error with the drugs. Nothing to do with the argument of course and I am sure exactly the same thing would happen with any system but it is really quite scary how often these errors are made.

The ease of switching between magnitudes with the metric systems (i.e. bung a few noughts on the end, or stick a decimal point in) makes it very prone to order-of-magnitude errors. There are many situations where this is less than ideal, and is a rather counterintuitive advantage of imperial/US customary units' habit of entirely arbitrary-looking factors between units (there's no decimal place error to make in a feet-inches or ounces-pounds conversion). Having said that, the maths for imperial is often trickier, particularly when fractions get involved, and I can imagine that errors in mental arithmetic are less common overall in metric. It's just that when they're made, they're often wrong by a factor of ten, or a hundred, or a thousand...
  • Options

Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

GeoffM said:

murali_s said:

And I would have won.

20,000 years ago, sea-levels were roughly 100 metres (328 feet in old money!!!) lower than they are today. Must have been all those coal-fired power stations built by early humans :)
    Wasn't there an ice age 20000 years ago?
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

The satellite sensors are getting old, and some have already failed. Others are mis-reading.

A single study is claiming they are misreading... Maybe the the Climate Research Unit need to 'adjust' the data to ensure that the correct pattern is shown, im sure they already know what the figures should say, it would be more convenient to show what the figures should be rather than what they are.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    GeoffM said:

Tim_B said:

Sorry @Tim_B I was getting bored and wanted a decent bite to round the evening off.

CoD BlackOps 3 has just this minute finished downloading (all 50gb of it), I've got a new graphics card, its 1:30am here and I'm wearing sunglasses.

Hit it.
    No prob - it wasn't aimed at you anyway - enjoy!
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Why would they publish something that [none of their readers] understood?

This is the Express you are talking about ...
  • Options

The ease of switching between magnitudes with the metric systems (i.e. bung a few noughts on the end, or stick a decimal point in) makes it very prone to order-of-magnitude errors. There are many situations where this is less than ideal, and is a rather counterintuitive advantage of imperial/US customary units' habit of entirely arbitrary-looking factors between units (there's no decimal place error to make in a feet-inches or ounces-pounds conversion). Having said that, the maths for imperial is often trickier, particularly when fractions get involved, and I can imagine that errors in mental arithmetic are less common overall in metric. It's just that when they're made, they're often wrong by a factor of ten, or a hundred, or a thousand...
    You're right; calculation errors in medicine can be terrifying. I posted up thread about the change from the old Apothecaries system. One advantage, although it was so complicated, was that, probaly becasuse it was complicated, people generally got it right.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

GeoffM said:

murali_s said:

And I would have won.

Wasn't there an ice age 20000 years ago?
    Yep, those primitive coal power stations caused the globe to warm, melting the extended polar ice caps :)
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

GeoffM said:

murali_s said:

Tim_B said:

murali_s said:

GeoffM said:

murali_s said:

Tim_B said:

\

Is that 7pm metric time?
    :lol:
  • Options

You have to understand that murali is simply not that bright and so has trouble with anything that doesn't involve either very simple concepts or big round numbers. The rest of us can switch back and forth between metric and imperial with ease - something most competent scientists can do.

I can't convert from metric to imperial with ease... I can do it, but it takes several steps in my head (gross up by 9/5 and add 32)
  • Options
    surbiton said:

It's actually far more sensible in a pre-calculator era.

Metric is centred on base 10 - which means it is only divisible by 5 and 10.

Imperial is centred on base 12 - divisible by 2, 3, 4, 6 and 12. If you are working in your head then Imperial is far more flexible
  • Options

murali_s said:

murali_s said:

GeoffM said:

murali_s said:

And I would have won.

A typical condescending post from you. A question - who the f*ck are you? Some kind of God who knows it all?

I may be no expert but I am entitled to an opinion and I am basing my opinion on scientific consensus. Insult me till the cows come home. I will not be shouting down by a f*cking non-entity like you.
  • Options
    Charles said:

I can't convert from metric to imperial with ease... I can do it, but it takes several steps in my head (gross up by 9/5 and add 32)
    Battleship guns - I learnt these as a kid

(without googling!)

11 inches = 279 millimetres
    12 inches = 305 mm
    13.5 inches = 343 mm
    14 inches = 356 mm
    15 inches = 381 mm
    16 inches = 406 mm
    18 inches = 457 mm

Also bombs:

500 lb = 227 kilograms
    1000 lb = 454 kg
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

GeoffM said:

murali_s said:

Tim_B said:

murali_s said:

GeoffM said:

murali_s said:

Tim_B said:

\

Is that 7pm metric time?
    You know it! :lol:
  • Options

Tim_B said:

GeoffM said:

murali_s said:

Tim_B said:

murali_s said:

GeoffM said:

murali_s said:

Tim_B said:

Again - baseless insults...
  • Options
    Charles said:

It's easy to approximate -

0 c = 32f
    10c = 50F
    20c = 68F
    30c = 86F
    40c = 104F

That works both ways to within a couple of degrees. So if you have 32c it's about 90F, and vice versa.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Charles said:

0 c = 32f
    10c = 50F
    20c = 68F
    30c = 86F
    40c = 104F

That works both ways to within a couple of degrees. So if you have 32c it's about 90F, and vice versa.
    Don't forget the "degrees"!

0 degrees C, 32 degrees F, etc.!
  • Options
    murali_s said:

Tim_B said:

GeoffM said:

murali_s said:

Tim_B said:

murali_s said:

GeoffM said:

murali_s said:

Tim_B said:

I'm not defending the comment but you have been dishing it out this evening, so it's not entirely undeserved.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Charles said:

0 c = 32f
    10c = 50F
    20c = 68F
    30c = 86F
    40c = 104F

In my head I'd go:

32/5 = 6.4

6.4 * 9 = about 59

59 + 32 = 91

• Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838
    murali_s said:

GeoffM said:

Yes, it was a racist comment. Crude, unreconstructed racism. Is that considered OK on this site?
  • Options
    Charles said:

Tim_B said:

Charles said:

0 c = 32f
    10c = 50F
    20c = 68F
    30c = 86F
    40c = 104F

In my head I'd go:

32/5 = 6.4

6.4 * 9 = about 59

59 + 32 = 91

That's fine but my way is easier if less precise. To each his own.
  • Options
    Holy heartbreak - just read that Daniela Bianchi's voice was dubbed by an English actress in "From Russia with Love" (was on earlier on ITV).
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

murali_s said:

Tim_B said:

GeoffM said:

murali_s said:

Tim_B said:

murali_s said:

GeoffM said:

murali_s said:

Tim_B said:

I'm not defending the comment but you have been dishing it out this evening, so it's not entirely undeserved.
    Maybe, but I've not been racist or at worst borderline racist. Calling someone a loon may not be very nice and apologise if I caused offence but racism is a completely different ball-game...

PS - This does not apply to Richard T by the way (i.e the racism comment)
  • Options

Holy heartbreak - just read that Daniela Bianchi's voice was dubbed by an English actress in "From Russia with Love" (was on earlier on ITV).

I think it was Barbara Jefford if memory serves.
  • Options
    murali_s said:

Tim_B said:

murali_s said:

Tim_B said:

GeoffM said:

murali_s said:

Tim_B said:

murali_s said:

GeoffM said:

murali_s said:

Tim_B said:

Maybe, but I've not been racist or at worst borderline racist. Calling someone a loon may not be very nice and apologise if I caused offence but racism is a completely different ball-game...

PS - This does not apply to Richard T by the way (i.e the racism comment)
    I'm not going to comment on the racism aspects.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

I think it was Barbara Jefford if memory serves.
    Yep, that's correct

• Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @Richard_Tyndall

You have to understand that murali is simply not that bright'

The understatement of the year ?.
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    surbiton said:

"They" (by which I presume you mean "he", i.e. Gabriel Fahrenheit, used fixed points which were not the freezing and boiling points of water. He used 0 as the temperature of a mixture of salt and freezing water, and 100 as the temperature of the human body.

• Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

kle4 said:

Tim_B said:

murali_s said:

Tim_B said:

They didn't when I grew up there ;)
    Times have changed, old man. Using Celsius is all part of our utterly logical unit of measurement adoption, along with partway metric on some things, but not others, and that's just the way we like it. I'll buy my coke by the litre, but by gods I will not accept milk in anything other than pints!
    I buy coke by the Big Bottle, Small Bottle or the Can. Milk is also by relative box size. Petrol goes in by cash amount.

Distances and measurements are still Imperial. I'm genuinely struggling to think of anything that I'd instinctively think of in metric that's genuinely meaningful.
    Metric paper sizes make far more sense than imperial.
    Why? You can measure what someone randomly christened A4 in both systems and neither come out neatly in round numbers.

210 × 297 millimeters or 8.27 × 11.69 inches

Why does one of those sets of odd numbers make more "sense" than the other?
    Because an A0 sheet is 1 square metre. A4 isn't remotely random, it's one sixteenth of an A0.
    Is it really. That's a pointless bit of trivia I'll have no trouble forgetting.
    But the fact that A0 is a square metre, and that A1 is half a square metre, and that A2 is a quarter of a square metre, and that A3 is an eighth of a square metre, and that A4 is a sixteenth of a square metre, is the whole point of the whole point of the whole point of the whole point of the A3/A4 etc. paper size system! Have you not been paying attention?!?
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    JohnLoony said:

surbiton said:

"They" (by which I presume you mean "he", i.e. Gabriel Fahrenheit, used fixed points which were not the freezing and boiling points of water. He used 0 as the temperature of a mixture of salt and freezing water, and 100 as the temperature of the human body.

IIRC the mixture of salt and water was as cold as GF could get, not having access to any of Antarctica, Siberia or Northern Canada.
    Or liquid nitrogen!
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,022
    I see that the festive spirit has quickly left PB, and that the supply of handbags is running frightfully low.
  • Options
    RobD said:

I see that the festive spirit has quickly left PB, and that the supply of handbags is running frightfully low.

I blame Thatcher. She exhausted the supply of suitable ones!
  • Options
    RobD said:

http://www.allowe.com/laughs/book/Star Wars Lines Pants.htm
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,022

RobD said:

http://www.allowe.com/laughs/book/Star Wars Lines Pants.htm
    "These pants are now the ultimate power in the universe!" :D
  • Options
    Charles said:

surbiton said:

Imperial is centred on base 12 - divisible by 2, 3, 4, 6 and 12. If you are working in your head then Imperial is far more flexible
    If you are counting 2 as a factor that imperial can be divided by then surely metric is also divisible by 2.

Though we aren't in a pre scientific age and we do have calculators not that I need them to do mental arithmetic. The beauty in metric is its consistency and adaptability from small to big numbers. Something that imperial is much less consistent with, especially since it isn't all base 12 (why are there 16 ounces to a pound)? Converting any weight from grams, to kilograms, tonnes etc is just a case of moving the decimal point and can be done mentally. Try converting ounces through to imperial tons without a calculator.

It is very easy to convert from any metric measurement to another, whereas imperial has no such consistency and is more haphazard (if it was base 12 consistently it'd still be obsolete but less of an issue).
  • Options
    edited December 2015

Charles said:

surbiton said:

If you are counting 2 as a factor that imperial can be divided by then surely metric is also divisible by 2.

Though we aren't in a pre scientific age and we do have calculators not that I need them to do mental arithmetic. The beauty in metric is its consistency and adaptability from small to big numbers. Something that imperial is much less consistent with, especially since it isn't all base 12 (why are there 16 ounces to a pound)? Converting any weight from grams, to kilograms, tonnes etc is just a case of moving the decimal point and can be done mentally. Try converting ounces through to imperial tons without a calculator.

It is very easy to convert from any metric measurement to another, whereas imperial has no such consistency and is more haphazard (if it was base 12 consistently it'd still be obsolete but less of an issue).
    The disadvantage is that, especially when one has little concept of the actual size, it's apparently quite easy to get calculations by a factor of 10, or worse.
    It's actually quite a serious problem in medicine and pharmacists spend quite a lot of time checking calculations to ensure that the decimal point hasn't been surreptiously moved!
    I once, as on-call pharmacist, was woken at 2am for a long discussion with an anaesthatist about whether a particular injection had been made up correctly. Took me a while to convince him it was right and that it appeard he wanted to give a 10x dose of whatever it was.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    Paging TimB. Redskins are divisional champions!!! Whodathunk?
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    JohnLoony said:

GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

kle4 said:

Tim_B said:

murali_s said:

Tim_B said:

Times have changed, old man. Using Celsius is all part of our utterly logical unit of measurement adoption, along with partway metric on some things, but not others, and that's just the way we like it. I'll buy my coke by the litre, but by gods I will not accept milk in anything other than pints!
    I buy coke by the Big Bottle, Small Bottle or the Can. Milk is also by relative box size. Petrol goes in by cash amount.

Distances and measurements are still Imperial. I'm genuinely struggling to think of anything that I'd instinctively think of in metric that's genuinely meaningful.
    Why? You can measure what someone randomly christened A4 in both systems and neither come out neatly in round numbers.

Because an A0 sheet is 1 square metre. A4 isn't remotely random, it's one sixteenth of an A0.
    But the fact that A0 is a square metre, and that A1 is half a square metre, and that A2 is a quarter of a square metre, and that A3 is an eighth of a square metre, and that A4 is a sixteenth of a square metre, is the whole point of the whole point of the whole point of the whole point of the A3/A4 etc. paper size system! Have you not been paying attention?!?
    The sides are in a ratio of 1:(root 2) as are almost all modern paper sizes, its known as the Lichtenberg ratio which means that if you bisect the sheet parallel to its shortest side, those smaller sheets will exhibit the same ratio.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

JohnLoony said:

GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

kle4 said:

Tim_B said:

murali_s said:

Tim_B said:

The sides are in a ratio of 1:(root 2) as are almost all modern paper sizes, its known as the Lichtenberg ratio which means that if you bisect the sheet parallel to its shortest side, those smaller sheets will exhibit the same ratio.
    Among, if not the, most sensible standardisations
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    edited December 2015

Indigo said:

JohnLoony said:

GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

Sadly not used much here, we have "Short Bond", known elsewhere as Letter (8.5" x 11"), and "Long Bond" (8.5" x 13") used essentially no where else, which is a slightly shorter version of "Legal" (8.5" x 14"). Getting binders and punches of reasonable quality can be a challenge. My local stationary shop doesn't carry A4 at all :(
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Indigo said:

Indigo said:

JohnLoony said:

GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

Sadly not used much here, we have "Short Bond", known elsewhere as Letter (8.5" x 11"), and "Long Bond" (8.5" x 13") used essentially no where else, which is a slightly shorter version of "Legal" (8.5" x 14"). Getting binders and punches of reasonable quality can be a challenge. My local stationary shop doesn't carry A4 at all :(
    In the Philippines aren't you? A former Septic colony.
  • Options
    JohnLoony said:

GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

kle4 said:

Tim_B said:

murali_s said:

Tim_B said:

Yeh ! The wonders of Europe [ France, actually ] ! Just like the kilometre. The distance from the North pole to the Equator = 10000 km. Guess what, 1/10000th of that is a metre.

Even Wall St would not use decimals for share prices. I hope they have changed now.

So quaint. Where did the pint come from that we are so wedded to ?
This discussion has been closed.