Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Coinciding with the traditional Boxing Day meets the tradit

Comments

• Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,978

If things remain as they are NESV in May will be Con 32% (-1) Lab 31% (-8) LD 16% (+1) UKIP 12% (+7)

Changes since 2012

What does this mean exactly? I.e. What looks like a good result for labour. I'm assuming -8 is worse than what would be expected being last locals were at a peak for them.
  • Options
    RobD said:

If things remain as they are NESV in May will be Con 32% (-1) Lab 31% (-8) LD 16% (+1) UKIP 12% (+7)

Changes since 2012

:o ... JCICIPM?
    Nope.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,087

Changes since 2012

So there's a decent chance Labour will come top in NESV? Even if not a great result, due to what the results were last time, enough to quell rebellious stirrings I wonder.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Changes since 2012

So there's a decent chance Labour will come top in NESV? Even if not a great result, due to what the results were last time, enough to quell rebellious stirrings I wonder.
    Is entirely dependent on where/how the UKIP goes/is concentrated
  • Options

I've written a thread for tomorrow about Mark Reckless.

And the AV thread recedes ever further into the distance.
    My cup runneth over
  • Options

Changes since 2012

What does this mean exactly? I.e. What looks like a good result for labour. I'm assuming -8 is worse than what would be expected being last locals were at a peak for them.
    Read Rod's piece from May 2014, it accurately foretold the defeat Labour would face in May 2015

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2014/05/27/guest-slot-rod-crosby-the-bell-tolls-for-labour-and-miliband/
  • Options
    Arsenal are the new spurs???
  • Options
    Rallings & Thrasher also suggests that Lab voters who deserted the party at the GE are starting to back Lib Dems rather than Corbyn.
  • Options

My cup runneth over
    And I'm very disappointed with TSE over this.
  • Options
    Sunday Times

Labour plans to spend only about £200,000 on the campaign for the Scottish parliament — down from £1m in the last election in 2011 — amid fears that it could finish third behind the Tories as well as the Scottish National party.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    john_zims said:

@NickPalmer

'As someone who's always been very much into animal welfare issues,

Except for Halal slaughter when your compassion is conveniently silenced.

Can't upset the client vote, can he?
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,978

Changes since 2012

Read Rod's piece from May 2014, it accurately foretold the defeat Labour would face in May 2015

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2014/05/27/guest-slot-rod-crosby-the-bell-tolls-for-labour-and-miliband/
    Great stuff. Reading that article oddly poignant knowing what happened.
  • Options

My cup runneth over
    Morning thread is about Mark Reckless.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    GeoffM said:

john_zims said:

@NickPalmer

'As someone who's always been very much into animal welfare issues,

Except for Halal slaughter when your compassion is conveniently silenced.

Can't upset the client vote, can he?
    It's neck and neck ;)
  • Options

My cup runneth over
    It will be published in January 2016
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,022

My cup runneth over
    He's a big tease. We all know the AV magnum opus is not ready for prime time ;)
  • Options
    RobD said:

Changes since 2012

:o ... JCICIPM?
    JICIPM, actually! :)
  • Options

Changes since 2012

Great stuff. Reading that article oddly poignant knowing what happened.
    Beeb World News had a 'UK Reporters' today on the year in UK politics.They showed video of the traditional photo of the new cabinet in the garden of no. 10.

One of the photographers shouts out "How many of you expected to be here?". Cue some nervous laughter and awkward looks.
  • Options

My cup runneth over
    I'm worried it's like the government's deficit targets. By 2015? No, 2017...or 2018. But definitely by 2020.
  • Options

My cup runneth over
    You need a bigger cup.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

My cup runneth over
    I'm worried it's like the government's deficit targets. By 2015? No, 2017...or 2018. But definitely by 2020.
    You're going to get two electoral voting system threads in January.

I'm also doing one on the supplementary vote system in January too
  • Options
    Surely someone who went to Eton is always the hunter, not the huntee?
  • Options
    Sunday Times says Corbyn planning a reshuffle, will sack/demote Benn, ditto Maria Eagle & Michael Dugher. Jon Trickett tipped as Chief Whip
  • Options
    A brief weather note. It was 75 here yesterday. Same today.

The Hyundai Sun Bowl started at noon mountain time at - yes - The Sun Bowl (it really is called that) in El Paso TX. At game time it was 68. Within 90 minutes the temperature had dropped to freezing and it was snowing heavily for a while. It's now raining and 38.

Meanwhile 650 miles away in Dallas TX the Cotton Bowl game is also being played. started at 70 and sunny, now it's pouring with rain and cooler.

This weather is just bizarre. They keep saying it's a big El Nino year.
  • Options
    RobD said:

My cup runneth over
    He's a big tease. We all know the AV magnum opus is not ready for prime time ;)
    So it'll be on Nighthawks then? ;)
  • Options
    edited December 2015

Sunday Times says Corbyn planning a reshuffle, will sack/demote Benn, ditto Maria Eagle & Michael Dugher. Jon Trickett tipped as Chief Whip

Good stuff. I look forward to seeing what, if anything, he can manage with a shadow cabinet that actually backs him rather than one which barely tolerates him out of a sense of tribal obligation.
  • Options
    Lord Howard calls for ministers to have a free vote in the EURef
  • Options

My cup runneth over
    That's the cause of the cup situation... can't wait, almost as muc as the fantasy table update.. at last!!
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Good stuff. I look forward to seeing what, if anything, he can manage with a shadow cabinet that actually backs him rather than one which barely tolerates him out of a sense of tribal obligation.
    Me too. If Corbyn really believes in his vision of a proper left wing Labour party, then he should have the courage of his convictions and go for it.
    It should be fun.
  • Options

My cup runneth over
    That's the cause of the cup situation... can't wait, almost as muc as the fantasy table update.. at last!!
    Actually I might have to bump the Reckless thread to the afternoon now
  • Options
    edited December 2015

Good deal! Labour charged 3 pounds in the election.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,045
    Tim_B said:

The Hyundai Sun Bowl started at noon mountain time at - yes - The Sun Bowl (it really is called that) in El Paso TX. At game time it was 68. Within 90 minutes the temperature had dropped to freezing and it was snowing heavily for a while. It's now raining and 38.

Meanwhile 650 miles away in Dallas TX the Cotton Bowl game is also being played. started at 70 and sunny, now it's pouring with rain and cooler.

This is a British blog - we use degrees Celsius here!
  • Options
    Disgraceful.

Sunday Times reporting David Cameron is going to give Lynton Crosby a Knighthood.

Lynton deserves a Royal Dukedom as a minimum
  • Options
    Clive Lewis and skinner in tut shadow cabinet then???
  • Options

My cup runneth over
    I saw his rather sad tweet re a trip to the Footy today... he may need to defect to support a new team!!
  • Options
    BromptonautBromptonaut Posts: 1,113
    GeoffM said:

Second! And I used to really enjoy foxhunting when I lived full time in the UK.

I hope (in vain I fear) that this trend of banning things which are disapproved of by loud minorities is at least slowed soon.

Except it's the vast majority.
  • Options

My cup runneth over
    I saw his rather sad tweet re a trip to the Footy today... he may need to defect to support a new team!!
    I feel so sorry for Mark Reckless
  • Options

My cup runneth over
    It keeps getting delayed like the LHR decision.
  • Options
    It's snowing heavily again at the Sun Bowl, with big flakes.

It's on the Mexican border for pete's sake!
  • Options

My cup runneth over
    I feel so sorry for Mark Reckless
    As I do for gunners fans tonight..
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    murali_s said:

Tim_B said:

They didn't when I grew up there ;)

I think you missed the diversity and sensitivity training.... :lol:
  • Options

Are you thinking what we're thinking? :)
  • Options
    TwistedFireStopperTwistedFireStopper Posts: 2,538
    edited December 2015
    Tim_B said:

Are you sure it's snow, and not an accident in a "lab" in Juarez?
  • Options

Tim_B said:

Are you sure it's snow, and not an accident in a "lab" in Juarez?
    It's the wrong kind of snow, as British Rail would say.
  • Options

Disgraceful.

Sunday Times reporting David Cameron is going to give Lynton Crosby a Knighthood.

I heard a rumour that the lift operator at the House of Lords has been elevated to the peerage.
  • Options

kle4 said:

My cup runneth over
    You're going to get two electoral voting system threads in January.

I'm also doing one on the supplementary vote system in January too
    These astro-droids PB Thread-writers are getting quite out of hand! Even I can't understand their logic at times!
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    DELETE
  • Options
    murali_s said:

Tim_B said:

You might do. Don't drag "we" into anything.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

murali_s said:

Tim_B said:

Times have changed, old man. Using Celsius is all part of our utterly logical unit of measurement adoption, along with partway metric on some things, but not others, and that's just the way we like it. I'll buy my coke by the litre, but by gods I will not accept milk in anything other than pints!
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,214

If Corbyn does sack/demote Benn he instantly becomes the new candidate of the Labour right and centre despite being from a family of the left, if and when Corbyn gets into difficulty after that brilliant Commons speech then there will then be an alternative candidate. Personally I doubt Corbyn will sack him, he will probably demote him as IDS demoted David Davis from Party Chairman to Shadow Secretary of State for the ODPM, a move which ultimately ended up being the first shot in his eventual toppling
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,207
    I think I might go and seed a few archaeological sites. Just for the lolz, and because a couple of my friends are archaeologists:

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2015/12/facebook-user-solves-the-mystery-of-the-ancient-relic-found-in-an-israeli-cemetery/
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293

Charles said:

Some odd comments on the thread:

Richard N's belief that it was class warfare is wrong. ... I was involved throughout and I don't recall anyone ever mentioning class, toffs, or anything similar

I believe Tony Banks made some pretty unpleasant class based comments at the time
    Yes and I believe the comment from Mr Palmer is of a fairly typical standard.

'Tally Ho'? You don't remember that at your party conference ?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Tim_B said:

murali_s said:

Tim_B said:

Times have changed, old man. Using Celsius is all part of our utterly logical unit of measurement adoption, along with partway metric on some things, but not others, and that's just the way we like it. I'll buy my coke by the litre, but by gods I will not accept milk in anything other than pints!
    What about Terry's chocolate oranges made in Poland?
  • Options
    edited December 2015

Disgraceful.

Lynton Crosby, knighted for services rendered in the demolition of the LDs and the humiliation of the Labour Party and Ken Livingstone and for brilliantly whipping up fear of uncontrolled immigration on behalf of John Howard, he is good at his job but is rather a 'broad' definition of public service deserving of a knighthood to say the least!
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    kle4 said:

Tim_B said:

murali_s said:

Tim_B said:

I buy coke by the Big Bottle, Small Bottle or the Can. Milk is also by relative box size. Petrol goes in by cash amount.

Distances and measurements are still Imperial. I'm genuinely struggling to think of anything that I'd instinctively think of in metric that's genuinely meaningful.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    GeoffM said:

murali_s said:

Tim_B said:

I apologise! However, most if not all young people use degrees Celsius. Moreover many old people now have no issues with using the more logical degrees Celsius. Anyway this is an issue which over time will resolve itself.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

kle4 said:

Tim_B said:

murali_s said:

Tim_B said:

I buy coke by the Big Bottle, Small Bottle or the Can. Milk is also by relative box size. Petrol goes in by cash amount.

Distances and measurements are still Imperial. I'm genuinely struggling to think of anything that I'd instinctively think of in metric that's genuinely meaningful.
    Metric paper sizes make far more sense than imperial.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    HYUFD said:

Disgraceful.

Lynton Crosby, knighted for services rendered in the demolition of the LDs and the humiliation of the Labour Party and Ken Livingstone and for brilliantly whipping up fear of uncontrolled immigration on behalf of John Howard, he is good at his job but is rather a 'broad' definition of public service deserving of a knighthood to say the least!
    It's almost the perfect definition of public service actually.

In fact, I'd make it the dictionary definition if I ran the OED and just as a cross-reference.

PUBLIC SERVICE: see Crosby, Lynton
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

HYUFD said:

Disgraceful.

In fact, I'd make it the dictionary definition if I ran the OED and just as a cross-reference.

I hope it is a GCMG he gets.

God Call Me God
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

HYUFD said:

Disgraceful.

Well I suppose Philip Gould was given a Peerage
  • Options
    murali_s said:

GeoffM said:

murali_s said:

Tim_B said:

I apologise! However, most if not all young people use degrees Celsius. Moreover many old people now have no issues with using the more logical degrees Celsius. Anyway this is an issue which over time will resolve itself.
    They don't use celsius here. We still have ounces, pounds, pints and gallons - though the last 2 are not imperial size.

I don't have a problem with celsius - just no use for it.

So if it's 75 in Atlanta, I'll say it's 75, not 23 or whatever it is in Crazius. If I'm talking about the temp in England I'd give it in celsius. When I left in the late 70s the UK still used fahrenheit.
  • Options

GeoffM said:

kle4 said:

Tim_B said:

murali_s said:

Tim_B said:

Why? You can measure what someone randomly christened A4 in both systems and neither come out neatly in round numbers.

210 × 297 millimeters or 8.27 × 11.69 inches

Why does one of those sets of odd numbers make more "sense" than the other?
  • Options

GeoffM said:

HYUFD said:

Disgraceful.

God Call Me God
    Yes, Minister will be 30 years old next year.

Now there's an idea for a surreal thread!
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,698
    edited December 2015
    GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

HYUFD said:

Disgraceful.

God Call Me God

Point of pedantry, Yes, Prime Minister will be 30 years old next year.

And I will do a thread on that.

I once did a thread using this clip from the show, and it annoyed the Nats too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0ZZJXw4MTA
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

kle4 said:

Tim_B said:

murali_s said:

Tim_B said:

Why? You can measure what someone randomly christened A4 in both systems and neither come out neatly in round numbers.

Because an A0 sheet is 1 square metre. A4 isn't remotely random, it's one sixteenth of an A0.
  • Options

GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

HYUFD said:

Disgraceful.

God Call Me God

Your pedantry is depressingly accurate, and for shame I will ritually disembowel myself in a culturally misappropriated fashion.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

HYUFD said:

Disgraceful.

God Call Me God

Your pedantry is depressingly accurate, and for shame I will ritually disembowel myself in a culturally misappropriated fashion.
    As penance, you should read up about the Alternative Vote system
  • Options

GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

kle4 said:

Tim_B said:

murali_s said:

Tim_B said:

Because an A0 sheet is 1 square metre. A4 isn't remotely random, it's one sixteenth of an A0.
    Is it really. That's a pointless bit of trivia I'll have no trouble forgetting.
  • Options
    Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn is planning to reshuffle his Shadow Cabinet in the first week of January – with aides pencilling in an announcement for as early as 4 January. Mr Corbyn wants to assert his authority by dismissing “disloyal” shadow ministers who have openly defied his leadership and questioned whether he will remain in the post until 2020.

He is understood to have made the “seismic” decision to move shadow Foreign Secretary Hilary Benn, but will have to withstand furious resistance if he is to force it through. Defence spokeswoman Maria Eagle, her sister Angela – the shadow First Secretary of State – and the chief whip, Rosie Winterton, are also on the brink of being demoted.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/jeremy-corbyn-to-dismiss-disloyal-shadow-ministers-in-new-year-reshuffle-a6786956.html
  • Options

GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

HYUFD said:

Disgraceful.

God Call Me God

As it's Christmas......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vShJa6GobFQ
  • Options

GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

HYUFD said:

Disgraceful.

God Call Me God

Do I get a choice between ritual disembowelment and reading up about AV?
    If so, it's a pretty straightforward decision.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

kle4 said:

Tim_B said:

murali_s said:

Tim_B said:

Is it really. That's a pointless bit of trivia I'll have no trouble forgetting.
    Meanwhile imperial paper sizes - 8.5 x 11, 11 x 17 and the rest, don't even have consistent proportions.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

HYUFD said:

Disgraceful.

God Call Me God

It's pretty simple - you could vote Conservative, alternatively you could vote Labour.

Then there's the STV - that's where you give someone your postal vote to take away and they fill out for you.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Tim_B said:

murali_s said:

GeoffM said:

murali_s said:

Tim_B said:

They don't use celsius here. We still have ounces, pounds, pints and gallons - though the last 2 are not imperial size.

So if it's 75 in Atlanta, I'll say it's 75, not 23 or whatever it is in Crazius. If I'm talking about the temp in England I'd give it in celsius. When I left in the late 70s the UK still used fahrenheit.
    Again and sorry to be pedantic this is a British blog - degrees Celsius is the unit of temperature used here. Fahrenheit means nothing to me and the majority here. I don't give a monkeys what temperature scale they use in the US - if they want to be archaic, it's up to them.

It's akin to me moving to France and posting on this site in French because it's the language they use there!!
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

kle4 said:

Tim_B said:

murali_s said:

Tim_B said:

What!? Scandalous, I am ashamed I did not know this.

A dark thought to sleep on
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

HYUFD said:

Disgraceful.

God Call Me God

It's pretty simple - you could vote Conservative, alternatively you could vote Labour.
    Great example! And we'll save that one for TSE's AV thread too.
    I predict that it'll go down very well.
  • Options
    I suspect in 6 months we’ll see another reshuffle as the new lot prove just as disloyal....!

Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn is planning to reshuffle his Shadow Cabinet in the first week of January – with aides pencilling in an announcement for as early as 4 January. Mr Corbyn wants to assert his authority by dismissing “disloyal” shadow ministers who have openly defied his leadership and questioned whether he will remain in the post until 2020.

He is understood to have made the “seismic” decision to move shadow Foreign Secretary Hilary Benn, but will have to withstand furious resistance if he is to force it through. Defence spokeswoman Maria Eagle, her sister Angela – the shadow First Secretary of State – and the chief whip, Rosie Winterton, are also on the brink of being demoted.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/jeremy-corbyn-to-dismiss-disloyal-shadow-ministers-in-new-year-reshuffle-a6786956.html

• Options
    murali_s said:

Tim_B said:

murali_s said:

GeoffM said:

murali_s said:

Tim_B said:

Again and sorry to be pedantic this is a British blog - degrees Celsius is the unit of temperature used here. Fahrenheit means nothing to me and the majority here. I don't give a monkeys what temperature scale they use in the US - if they want to be archaic, it's up to them.

It's akin to me moving to France and posting on this site in French because it's the language they use there!!
    If you want to be pedantic, pick something important, not the fact it's snowing at a bowl game on the Mexican border. I will not engage with you further on this ridiculous topic
  • Options

[Princess Liz Kendall is escorted by Lord Livingstone into an audience with Grand Moff Corbyn]
    Princess Liz: Governor Corbyn, I should have expected to find you holding Livingstone's leash. I recognized your foul stench when I was brought onboard.
    Grand Moff Corbyn: Charming to the last. You don't know how hard I found it, signing the order to terminate your political career.
    Princess Liz: [sarcastically] I'm surprised you had the courage to take the responsibility yourself.
    Grand Moff Corbyn: Princess Liz, before your, er, deselection, I would like to invite you to a ceremony that will make this progressive party operational. No Labour Stronghold will dare oppose the Corbynistas now.
    Princess Liz: The more you tighten your grip, Corbyn, the more safe seats will slip through your fingers.
    Grand Moff Corbyn: Not after we demonstrate the power of this policy. In a way, you have determined the choice of the constituency that is to be targeted first. Since you are reluctant to provide us with the location of the Rebel base, I have chosen to test our activists' destructive power on your home planet of Leicester.
    Princess Liz: [shocked] No! Leicester is peaceful, we have no weapons. You can't possibly—
    Grand Moff Corbyn: You would prefer another target, a military target? Then name the system! [stepping closer to Liz and pinning her against Darth Livingstone] I grow tired of asking this, so it will be the last time. Where is the Rebel base?
    Princess Liz: [looks at view-screen showing Leicester for a moment, then, resigned] Derby. They're all on Derby.
    Grand Moff Corbyn: There you see, Lord Livingstone? She can be reasonable. Proceed with the operation. You may fire when ready.
    Princess Liz: [indignant] What?!
    Grand Moff Corbyn: You're far too trusting. Derby is too remote to make an effective demonstration, but don't worry. We will deal with your rebel friends soon enough!
    [Liz watches helplessly as Leftist activists descend on Leicester]
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

murali_s said:

Tim_B said:

murali_s said:

GeoffM said:

murali_s said:

Tim_B said:

If you want to be pedantic, pick something important, not the fact it's snowing at a bowl game on the Mexican border. I will not engage with you further on this ridiculous topic
    You started this mate - why would I care about a stupid bowl game!

Game, set and match!
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Tim_B said:

kle4 said:

Tim_B said:

murali_s said:

Tim_B said:

What!? Scandalous, I am ashamed I did not know this.

A dark thought to sleep on
    I received one yesterday.
  • Options
    murali_s said:

Tim_B said:

murali_s said:

GeoffM said:

murali_s said:

Tim_B said:

Some trivial Google-Fu offers an Express front page about 100F in July last year.

I'm sure there are more recent examples too but because it's for you I can't be arsed.

http://www.thepaperboy.com/uk/2014/07/16/front-pages-headlines.cfm

Why would they publish something that nobody understood?
  • Options
    'Diane Abbott is favourite to land the job of shadow Foreign Secretary, with Mr Corbyn keen to ensure at least one of the four top jobs goes to a woman. The shadow Chancellor is secure in his place, so either Andy Burnham, the shadow Home Secretary, or Mr Benn will have to go. Mr Burnham, however, is understood to be safe – as long as he is happy to remain.

“He’s done a good job; we don’t have any complaints,” one senior source said.

Corbyn aides have drawn up a list of 30 loyalists set for promotions. Their names will be circulated to the media to be approached as trusted allies of Mr Corbyn. The list is set to include the shadow employment minister Emily Thornberry and up-and-coming Corbynites Richard Burgon and Cat Smith.'
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    GeoffM said:

murali_s said:

Tim_B said:

murali_s said:

GeoffM said:

murali_s said:

Tim_B said:

Some trivial Google-Fu offers an Express front page about 100F in July last year.

I'm sure there are more recent examples too but because it's for you I can't be arsed.

Two words - Daily Express!

Jeez - are people on the juice or are they really that thick?

PS - GeoffM - you were meant to have a bet with me that 2014 was going to be the warmest year ever recorded! Seemed like you chickened out - shame!

Anyway, any bets for 2016? I say with anthropogenic forcing on the climate in full gear, 2016 will be the warmest year ever recorded - take me up on this bet??
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    edited December 2015

GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

HYUFD said:

Disgraceful.

God Call Me God

Yes, Minister will be 36 years old in February. I know this because the first episode ("Open Government") aired 150 minutes after I was born.

Merry Christmas everybody, by the way. My children have been preoccupying me over the last two days; I will endeavour to tackle stjohn's crossword at a quieter point over the next week.
  • Options
    Abbott needs to be kept away from anything senior. Corbyn has a manner which, at first glance, invites people to hear him out and he naturally sounds reasonable even when he isn't. Abbott is the opposite, as even if she has a point her manner in the media at least undermines it, and fairly or not she can come across as pretty dim.
  • Options
    Chortle. Blairites = Serial losers

An overhaul of Labour internal party management is also expected in the new year – with the respected general secretary, Iain McNichol, under pressure. Senior party sources said the party’s headquarters in Westminster was filled with Blairite “serial losers” who were not committed to making Mr Corbyn’s leadership a success.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    kle4 said:

Abbott needs to be kept away from anything senior. Corbyn has a manner which, at first glance, invites people to hear him out and he naturally sounds reasonable even when he isn't. Abbott is the opposite, as even if she has a point her manner in the media at least undermines it, and fairly or not she can come across as pretty dim.

Well looks like the Labour frontbench will be led by Corbyn, McDonnell, Abbott and Burnham if that report is correct, certainly Cameron and Osborne will be shaking in their boots!
  • Options

An overhaul of Labour internal party management is also expected in the new year – with the respected general secretary, Iain McNichol, under pressure. Senior party sources said the party’s headquarters in Westminster was filled with Blairite “serial losers” who were not committed to making Mr Corbyn’s leadership a success.

They've been losing seats ever since 1997.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    GeoffM said:

murali_s said:

Tim_B said:

murali_s said:

GeoffM said:

murali_s said:

Tim_B said:

I've been posting on here for years quoting fahrenheit temperatures, and I think this person is the first to complain about it. Then to claim I started the argument.

I wonder where the server is located?
  • Options

They've been losing seats ever since 1997.
    What a time to be a Tory.

Hell, I might decide to become an MP myself.

I reckon I could win Bootle in 2020 for The Tories at this rate.
  • Options
    TomTom Posts: 273
    kle4 said:

Corbyn's main problem is there is no-one on the left of the party who is even halfway competent. I wonder what npxmp makes of this proposed act of comradeship and open debate. It is actually mildly encouraging in a kill or cure sort of way that Milne is so influential.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

GeoffM said:

murali_s said:

Tim_B said:

murali_s said:

GeoffM said:

murali_s said:

Tim_B said:

I've been posting on here for years quoting fahrenheit temperatures, and I think this person is the first to complain about it. Then to claim I started the argument.

I think I told you off for using Fahrenheit before :lol:
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,126
    edited December 2015
    Tim_B said:

GeoffM said:

murali_s said:

Tim_B said:

murali_s said:

GeoffM said:

murali_s said:

Tim_B said:

I suspect that deg F is used in UK when it means a headline, as 100 degF! Othewise we British do seem to have migrated away from Fahrenheit..
    As a child my mother used to worry is my temperature wasn't 98.4. Now there's concern if my grandchildren are much away from 37.

Bit like hunting with packs of dogs in UK; Degs F time has gone!
  • Options
    murali_s said:

Two words - Daily Express!

Jeez - are people on the juice or are they really that thick?

PS - GeoffM - you were meant to have a bet with me that 2014 was going to be the warmest year ever recorded! Seemed like you chickened out - shame!

Anyway, any bets for 2016? I say with anthropogenic forcing on the climate in full gear, 2016 will be the warmest year ever recorded - take me up on this bet??

I would have bet with you if you'd sent me a Vanilla message with the framing of the conditions as you said you would.

And I would have won.

NASA admitted that there was only a 38% probability that 2014 was warmest by 0.01C with a margin of error of 0.1C. There we go ... I even quoted NASA in metric so that your tiny brain could understand your loss.

Statistical tie with 2005 and 2010 would have given the bet to me.

http://hotair.com/archives/2015/01/18/ooops-nasa-now-38-sure-2014-was-warmest-year-on-record/
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

GeoffM said:

murali_s said:

Tim_B said:

murali_s said:

GeoffM said:

murali_s said:

Tim_B said:

PB.com is hosted in Rackspace in London.

But with a name like Murali he's probably in his mother's basement in Tamil Nadu.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,322
    edited December 2015
    Has anyone ever done a major Cabinet or Shadow Cabinet reshuffle within less than 4 months of appointing a Cabinet / Shadow Cabinet?

Replacing Benn with Abbott is surely going to play very badly with both the media and floating voters.

Whilst reshuffles normally have very little impact with the public, such a change is bound to generate a lot of adverse publicity.

Irrespective of Abbott's political views, she is very well known to the public and I doubt many people see her as anywhere near heavyweight enough to occupy the Foreign Secretary position (even if only Shadow).
  • Options
    TomTom Posts: 273
    One of Cameron's better decisions in the 2010 to 2015 government was Cabinet stability.
  • Options
    edited December 2015

Tim_B said:

GeoffM said:

murali_s said:

Tim_B said:

murali_s said:

GeoffM said:

murali_s said:

Tim_B said:

\

I suspect that deg F is used in UK when it means a headline, as 100 degF! Othewise we British do seem to have migrated away from Fahrenheit..
    As a child my mother used to worry is my temperature wasn't 98.4. Now there's concern if my grandchildren are much away from 37.
    Can we draw a line under this - it's a fatuous subject not worthy of argument.

I have no problem with anyone or any nation using celsius. The nation where I live doesn't so I work in fahrenheit. Is there really anyone here who can't translate from one to the other within a few degrees in their head?

By the way it's almost 7pm and still over 70 here :lol:
This discussion has been closed.