Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » To start Christmas week a contender for the Tweet exchange

SystemSystem Posts: 11,697
edited December 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » To start Christmas week a contender for the Tweet exchange of the year

Possibly my favourite tweet exchange of the year. People wonder why I doubt Montie's abilities as a pundit pic.twitter.com/VFdskPQyfS

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,676
    edited December 2015
    FPT:

At the end of an era
    The First thing to go
    Are the heads of our leaders
    Kicked down in the road...

On the day of reckoning
    When we've struck & won
    Watch close as their heroes
    Go crashing down on the pavement...

The workers in Poland rose
    & in Hungary too

Somoza & Jose fell
    ... Azania coming soon!

Kick over the statues
    And the tyrants die
    Wave bye bye with a hammer
    To their heroes

The first act of freedom
    All over the world
    Is to topple the statues
    Kick the bosses over
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    Second.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @PeterHardingDM: BREAKING: A close source at Old Trafford has suggested that Louis Van Gaal is going to be sacked this afternoon, once the New York SE opens.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited December 2015
    I wonder if that was actually a major Tory donor who hadn't donated recently... one with an interest in polling...
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    edited December 2015
    TSE pointed out a far better one the other day from everybodies favourite lefty library tea boy and tw@tterer, who made a fantastic comment from 2-3am of the night of the GE...
  • Options

I wonder that was actually a major Tory donor who hadn't donated recently... one with an interest in polling...

That was my thought too.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited December 2015
    Meh, Andrew Neil was reporting the words of a donor, Montgomerie is just a twerp with a chip.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@PeterHardingDM: BREAKING: A close source at Old Trafford has suggested that Louis Van Gaal is going to be sacked this afternoon, once the New York SE opens.

I don't fancy Mourinho's job at Old Trafford. The Man Utd team is absolutely shocking, with no depth to the squad at all.
  • Options

TSE pointed out a far better one the other day from everybodies favourite lefty library tea boy and tw@tterer, who made a fantastic comment from 2-3am of the night of the GE...

No one takes Eoin PHD seriously though.

Well, except for the front bench MPs who took his lies and smear as gospel.

Other than them, no one takes him seriously.
  • Options

You mean this.

i) An hour after the exit poll came out

https://twitter.com/LabourEoin/status/596435430880452609

ii) Then this after Swindon South and Nuneaton had shown swings from Lab to Con

https://twitter.com/LabourEoin/status/596478437839269888
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    Well, the election made fools of many of us all.

I can remember the proprietor of a major political betting website repeatedly lambasting posters who thought the polls might be wrong … because polling had become so sophisticated since 1992, and that kind of blunder could never occur again.
  • Options
    Does anyone have the link to his list of retractions?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,966
    Van Gaal 3-10 at Paddy Power to be next out btw.
  • Options

You could have a daily blog just for those alone...
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Brb Off to the shop in Piccadilly Gardens
  • Options
    edited December 2015

Pulpstar said:

I was out earlier this morning doing some Chrimbo shopping, not looking very rosy for the Chancellors piggybank, it was dead.
  • Options

Meh, Andrew Neil was reporting the words of a donor, Montgomerie is just a twerp with a chip.

I think you are being unkind - to twerps.

He's a deeply unappealing character who has no sense of his own unimportance.
  • Options

Here are some selected highlights.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/damianthompson/100194054/another-glorious-apology-from-dr-eoin-clarke/

Unfortunately there's just not enough bandwith on the internet to list all his apologies.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

I was out earlier this morning doing some Chrimbo shopping, not looking very rosy for the Chancellors piggybank, it was dead.
    Saturday was absolutely rammed, I think it was the Star Wars effect.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @paulhutcheon: New poll finds @thesnp would return 78 MSPs next year- Labour beats Tories for second place https://t.co/CLWUDigLGZ
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838
    Not an exchange but this was the funniest tweet of the year for mehttps://twitter.com/PennyRed/status/596439417742581761
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    I'd imagine a trawl of Fraser Nelson's pre-election tweets on Cameron's chances would bring up some gems too...
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    Scott_P said:

Utd fans will loathe Mourinho, he is everything Matt Busby's legacy isn't. Negative, cynical, timewasting, bus parking, rude and abrasive.

Fergie could be all of those things but in the main he favoured open, attacking football, Mourinho is anything but.

• Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    'I can remember the proprietor of a major political betting website repeatedly lambasting posters who thought the polls might be wrong … because polling had become so sophisticated since 1992, and that kind of blunder could never occur again.'

Well you don't come to this website for humility, that's for sure.

On other sites you may also observe the phenomenon of posters, who loudly proclaimed how stupid others were for doubting the polls ahead of the election, returning unruffled to the fray to again trumpet how clever and well-informed they are and how stupid everyone else is.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    JeremyCorbyn4PM
    Jeremy Corbyn is hugely popular. Why are people even trying to deny it any more?
    #Jez100
    https://t.co/OJ4eX3dJq5
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

I'd imagine a trawl of Fraser Nelson's pre-election tweets on Cameron's chances would bring up some gems too...

For Sunday's piece I'm doing a review/awards of the year, Fraser Nelson features quite heavily.

There's a gem from 2011, Osborne/QE is stoking up inflation and unemployment. Inflation and unemployment will cost the Tories the 2015 General Election
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,554
    edited December 2015

Scott_P said:

Utd fans will loathe Mourinho, he is everything Matt Busby's legacy isn't. Negative, cynical, timewasting, bus parking, rude and abrasive.

Fergie could be all of those things but in the main he favoured open, attacking football, Mourinho is anything but.

I know someone who went to an award ceremony which Sir Bobby Charlton attended, he said something on the same lines. He said, Mourinho once stuck his finger in an opposing manager's eye. That's not what Manchester United is about or a potential Manchester United manager would do
  • Options

I know someone who went to an award ceremony which Sir Bobby Charlton attended, he said something on the same lines. He said, Mourinho once stuck his finger in an opposing manager's eye. That's not what Manchester United is about.

I'm totally ignorant about football, but I can't help wondering which bit of the anatomy would be considered a more suitable Manchester United target?
  • Options
    Gah, I nearly wrote something similar for a thread yesterday, and decided it was needlessly provocative

Jeremy Corbyn was accused by a senior Labour MP today of acting like an “SNP troll” for criticising backbenchers who applauded Hilary Benn’s speech backing airstrikes against Islamic State in Syria.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/jeremy-corbyn-like-an-snp-troll-for-attacking-benn-supporters-says-exminister-a3141941.html
  • Options
    Pollsters became a protected species a trifle too often. Along with the LDs.

Now both have been brought low - we are in a new era and can be sceptical about every party and Party.

I can remember the proprietor of a major political betting website repeatedly lambasting posters who thought the polls might be wrong … because polling had become so sophisticated since 1992, and that kind of blunder could never occur again.

• Options

I know someone who went to an award ceremony which Sir Bobby Charlton attended, he said something on the same lines. He said, Mourinho once stuck his finger in an opposing manager's eye. That's not what Manchester United is about.

I'm totally ignorant about football, but I can't help wondering which bit of the anatomy would be considered a more suitable Manchester United target?
    Well if you followed this summer's Copa America

Edinson Cavani sent-off after Gonzalo Jara 'inserted finger into his anus' during Uruguay's 1-0 Copa America defeat to Chile

http://ind.pn/22kmTyq
  • Options
    edited December 2015

Well if you followed this summer's Copa America

Edinson Cavani sent-off after Gonzalo Jara 'inserted finger into his anus' during Uruguay's 1-0 Copa America defeat to Chile

http://ind.pn/22kmTyq
    Let me guess, he just lost his balance, slipped and fell...and put his hand out to stabilise himself...
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492

Scott_P said:

I know someone who went to an award ceremony which Sir Bobby Charlton attended, he said something on the same lines. He said, Mourinho once stuck his finger in an opposing manager's eye. That's not what Manchester United is about or a potential Manchester United manager would do
    Yes he did, he rubbed his finger in a coach's eye from behind. Considering the array of talent he's had at his disposal over the years the method of play has been cynical and dire, albeit effective. Regardless of what anybody thinks of Utd Mourinho is the antithesis of their ethos.

• Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''That's not what Manchester United is about or a potential Manchester United manager would do.''

Utter boll8cks. Remember what Keane did to that guy's leg? Any footie supporter who is preening about the morality of their club is on thin ice.

Liverpool is particularly bad. Everlasting breast beating about Hillsborough whilst Heysel is conveniently forgotten.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,883
    Morning all and I do mean that.

Looking at the Spanish elections, a stronger showing for Podemos and a weaker showing for Citizens than I had expected with both the old parties taking a hit. Interesting to see how this one develops.

Having your own awards thread is a sure sign of self-indulgence but mercifully most of us will have better things to do than endure Eagles and his endless "look we Tories won when everyone said we wouldn't" series of threads between now and New Year.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,221
    FPT - re the whole victim / Oriel college / Rhodes nonsense:-

This has come in part from the mistaken belief that being a victim grants you some sort of moral status, some sort of moral halo or special immunity. A victim is just a word to describe a person who has suffered a crime or injury. It has no moral meaning. But somehow we have moved to a position in society where our feelings of compassion for someone who has suffered have resulted in us imbuing the person who has suffered into someone whose status qua victim - and, therefore, his/her views etc - are special, to be given special attention, to be beyond criticism, to be sanctified in some way.

Victims can be bad people; bad people can be and are victims.

Little wonder that people want to be classified as "victims" when it grants them this sort of secular holiness and they can make demands, no matter how unreasonable, which people feel unable to refuse because, poor things, it would make them feel even worse.

It's beyond pathetic: why would you want to be a victim, for God's sake? What a pathetic ambition. It's like wanting to be ill, just for the fuss. It's childish and narcissistic. It's what happens when we confuse sentimentality with true compassion, when we confuse self-esteem (the cry of the adolescent) with self-respect (the mark of an adult), when we confuse false sentiment and incontinent emotional outpouring with a proper moral sense of what it means to injure others, the difference between real repentance and remorse and how to cope with life's inevitable injuries and disappointments.

What's more most of the people claiming this are not victims in any sense of the word. They have suffered no injury. But they look for something which will allow them to claim "offence" precisely because no-one will challenge them. And the answer to people claiming "offence" in this way is "Grow up." Or "Oh dear. Never mind. You'll get over it."
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited December 2015

Pollsters became a protected species a trifle too often. Along with the LDs.

Now both have been brought low - we are in a new era and can be sceptical about every party and Party.

I thought the polls were 100% bang on - we were just looking at VI not Leader ratings by mistake. ;-)
  • Options
    I'm totally against *victim impact statements* having any bearing on a sentence. Sure, read them out afterwards - but never before.
    Cyclefree said:

This has come in part from the mistaken belief that being a victim grants you some sort of moral status, some sort of moral halo or special immunity. A victim is just a word to describe a person who has suffered a crime or injury. It has no moral meaning. But somehow we have moved to a position in society where our feelings of compassion for someone who has suffered have resulted in us imbuing the person who has suffered into someone whose status qua victim - and, therefore, his/her views etc - are special, to be given special attention, to be beyond criticism, to be sanctified in some way.

Little wonder that people want to be classified as "victims" when it grants them this sort of secular holiness and they can make demands, no matter how unreasonable, which people feel unable to refuse because, poor things, it would make them feel even worse.

It's beyond pathetic: why would you want to be a victim, for God's sake? What a pathetic ambition. It's like wanting to be ill, just for the fuss. It's childish and narcissistic. It's what happens when we confuse sentimentality with true compassion, when we confuse self-esteem (the cry of the adolescent) with self-respect (the mark of an adult), when we confuse false sentiment and incontinent emotional outpouring with a proper moral sense of what it means to injure others, the difference between real repentance and remorse and how to cope with life's inevitable injuries and disappointments.

What's more most of the people claiming this are not victims in any sense of the word. They have suffered no injury. But they look for something which will allow them to claim "offence" precisely because no-one will challenge them. And the answer to people claiming "offence" in this way is "Grow up." Or "Oh dear. Never mind. You'll get over it."

• Options
    https://www.nyse.com/bell

Van Gaal watch.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,671
    Wanderer said:

Not an exchange but this was the funniest tweet of the year for mehttps://twitter.com/PennyRed/status/596439417742581761

The sound of one feminist flapping...
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    MattW said:

Wanderer said:

Careful, now another person big on claiming victimhood....
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610

Pulpstar said:

Westfield in Shepherd's Bush was ridiculously full on Saturday when I went to watch Star Wars. Glad I didn't have any shopping to do.
  • Options
    If I could be bothered, I'd unearth her tweets about being kettled in Trafalgar Sq a few years ago. They're hilarious. What a bed-wetter.

MattW said:

Wanderer said:

Careful, now another person big on claiming victimhood....
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

Westfield in Shepherd's Bush was ridiculously full on Saturday when I went to watch Star Wars. Glad I didn't have any shopping to do.
    Yes I had a similar depressing experience over the weekend...and the shops being busy ;-)
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062
    I see the surge is unabated
    TNS consituency figures for the under 65s:
    SNP 65% Lab 20% Con 9%
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5Ik-gKDMpozRlFtcVA5X29kUE0/view?pref=2&pli=1 … table 2 page 4
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

Election night really was a dream for us Tories and a nightmare for everyone else (except the Nats)
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,671
    This is a rather nice Eoin of the Bungle retraction of lies about Anna Soubry:

http://www.broxtoweblue.co.uk/apology-from-dr-eoin-clarke/

Tell a lie. Eat 'umble pie.
  • Options
    Wouldn't the announcement come after the markets have closed, not while they are open.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    MattW said:

I am honestly surprised somebody hasn't followed through and taken him to court. As all that happens is he retracts his "incorrect" claims and then a few days later makes up some more nonsense.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Wouldn't the announcement come after the markets have closed, not while they are open.

2 pm is before NYSE opens.
  • Options
    This is the reality that refutes the dribble from the Daily Heil yesterday on refugees in Bute.
  • Options

MattW said:

I am honestly surprised somebody hasn't followed through and taken him to court. As all that happens is he retracts his "incorrect" claims and then a few days later makes up some more nonsense.
    Taking him to court would cost money, and he's not a rich man, so you'd be unlikely to recover your costs.
  • Options
    edited December 2015

MattW said:

Taking him to court would cost money, and he's not a rich man, so you'd be unlikely to recover your costs.
    Sure, but there are some people out there that do this stuff on the principle of the matter, and it might also put an end to the nonsense.

At the moment, he is a like a naughty little boy, who is told if he says sorry and he wont do it again, he wont be grounded...then goes and is naughty again straight away.
  • Options
    2011 Tory vote at Holyrood: 13.2%. Latest poll: 12%. REVIVAL!
  • Options
    SNP extends lead over Lab to 37% on constituency & 34% on regional vote in TNS poll
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Oh dear. What a shocker. Another dacha ideologue.

Corbyn key ally, Lansman accused of hypocrisy after link to property company used for tax avoidance and asset stripping http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/politics/article4646279.ece
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,057
    malcolmg said:

This is the reality that refutes the dribble from the Daily Heil yesterday on refugees in Bute.

Eliza, you really need to get someone to look at your programming.
  • Options
    edited December 2015

• Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @stodge.

'Having your own awards thread is a sure sign of self-indulgence but mercifully most of us will have better things to do than endure Eagles and his endless "look we Tories won when everyone said we wouldn't" series of threads between now and New Year.'

He could have chosen 'endless' dockside hooker poundings.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

SNP extends lead over Lab to 37% on constituency & 34% on regional vote in TNS poll

Get over yerself Malc. Scotland is indeed now the National Socialist Scottish Workers' Party utopian paradise you always dreamed of - err, apart from the small matter of actual independence of course.
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414
    Cyclefree said:

Aren't you supposed to call them "survivors" now?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    The undecided figure in the TNS Scotland poll is pretty large isn't it at 27%?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,354
    For German readers or Google translate fans, a really interesting analysis of the German situation:
    http://www.cicero.de/berliner-republik/grosse-koalition-die-realitaetsverleugnung-von-cdu-und-spd-wird-sich-raechen/60269

Highlights which may be familiar from the UK context:

- The CDU and SPD are both struggling with refugee and Syria issues, but reacting differently. The CDU is mainly a party dedicated to getting elected, so their response is to pretend to agree while arguing futilely in private. The SPD is mainly a party dedicated to policies, most of which can't be achieved any time soon, so their response is public feuding

- The SPD leader has attempted to escape the dilemma of whether to get involved in Syria by offering an online consultaiton of all members. Many elected MPs are horrified are refuse to be bound by it, though in practice they will probvably go along with the result.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

I know, but the tweet said it will happen when the market opens, I find that unlikely. Usually these announcements happen after close to limit the chance of price manipulation.
  • Options
    Tory chairman Lord Feldman today faced new pressure to resign over bullying allegations after a poll showed three times more people think he should quit than remain in the post.

A survey for the Standard by BMG Research also exposed a huge lack of trust in the inquiry set up to get to the bottom of the “Tatler Tory” scandal.

Almost half the 1,500 people surveyed said they would not trust the investigation’s findings. Around the same amount said former minister Grant Shapps was right to resign over the affair, in which Tory activist Elliott Johnson, 21, committed suicide after complaining about bullying.

Dr Michael Turner, director of BMG Research, said: “These results paint a fairly bleak picture for the party ahead of the campaigning season for elections around the country in 2016. The poll shows large numbers from all sides calling for heads to roll. Even among those who voted Conservative in May.”

http://bit.ly/1S4EtBR
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    SNP retain 82% of their Westminster vote. Conservatives retain 58%. Lab 50%. Lib Dems retain a stonking 26%.

Evidence of mass tactical voting that means the SNP honeymoon is over and Scottish Tory surge?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

I know, but the tweet said it will happen when the market opens, I find that unlikely. Usually these announcements happen after close to limit the chance of price manipulation.
    19/05/2014 14:00, 1 of 3 Next
    Van Gaal named boss

Monday 2 pm.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited December 2015

Tory chairman Lord Feldman today faced new pressure to resign over bullying allegations after a poll showed three times more people think he should quit than remain in the post.

Ah, another example of Nabavi's Theorem in action:

An opinion poll asking whether X should resign from a political party or as an MP will invariably produce a majority in favour of him doing so, provided either that he is fictional or is sufficiently obscure for respondents not to have any particular view on his record. 'Sufficiently obscure' in this context means pretty much anyone apart from the PM, Chancellor, Leader of the Opposition, and a handful of current and former cabinet ministers.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

19/05/2014 14:00, 1 of 3 Next
    Van Gaal named boss

Monday 2 pm.
    Well only a minute left!
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

How can you "survive" something you have not "experienced"?

I probably shouldn't be saying this here - but life is not lived in your back bedroom. All those people claiming ersatz experiences based on what has happened to others need to go out and live.

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,971
    edited December 2015
    Worth remembering that the man who said "You aint no muslim bruv" wasn't a muslim himself either

"So after every terrorist attack now we learn of a “good news” story. After the attack on a café in Sydney a year ago the hashtag #illridewithyou became the good news story — the result of a story of a Muslim Australian woman on public transport allegedly removing her headscarf in fear after the attack. Australians tweeted “I’ll ride with you” to show that they would protect all of Australia’s Muslims from the other Australians who would otherwise brutalise them. The story of the woman taking off her headscarf turned out to be made up. Nevertheless, thousands of Australians tweeted “I’ll ride with you” and so the murder of, among others, café owner Tori Johnson (made to kneel on the floor and then shot in the back of the head) had a happy ending.

Three nights after the Commons managed to approve air strikes in Syria by the RAF, a man reportedly wielding a knife at Leytonstone Tube station in London and screaming that his actions were revenge for Syria allegedly stabbed a musician. Fortunately for the media worldwide and for social media in particular, one of the less traumatised passers-by was caught on camera shouting “You ain’t no Muslim, bruv” at the man, who has now been charged with attempted murder. This immediately “trended” on Twitter and became a top story on most news sites and a front-page headline in the next day’s newspapers around the world, said to epitomise the wisdom and stoicism of Londoners. While the victim was recovering in hospital everybody else got to move on to the joy of Muslims condemning this now allegedly “non-Muslim” attacker.

Worst was in the wake of November’s atrocity in Paris when the story went around from the Wall Street Journal to the Huffington Post and the Daily Mail that one of the suicide bombers at the Stade de France football stadium had been stopped and turned away by a Muslim security guard called Zouheir. The story was reported around the world and heralded across social media. Amid a night of bloodshed which allegedly had nothing to do with Islam here was a security guard who had everything to do with Islam saving hundreds of lives. This seemed such a good meme that it became one of the most popular “stories” of the night on Twitter. Except that it turned out — as the BBC was unusual in being good enough to concede — that the tale was fabricated. There was a guard in the stadium of unknown religion called Zouheir but he had been elsewhere on the night and had not seen any bombers. He had relayed part of a colleague’s story to a reporter. Why had this all become about him? For the simple reason that people wanted it to be."

http://standpointmag.co.uk/node/6357/full
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    But Maureen is exceptionally entertaining. So is LVG for that matter.

Scott_P said:

• Options
    I don't care if he stays or goes - I barely know who he is. Opinion polling someone's conduct with virtually zero knowledge of the facts is pointless. Who cares? Who will change their opinion? Stupid waste of money.

Ah, another example of Nabavi's Theorem in action:

An opinion poll asking whether X should resign from a political party or as an MP will invariably produce a majority in favour of him doing so, provided either that he is fictional or is sufficiently obscure for respondents not to have any particular view on his record. 'Sufficiently obscure' in this context means pretty much anyone apart from the PM, Chancellor, Leader of the Opposition, and a handful of current and former cabinet ministers.
  • Options
    It would be a good time for Man United to put Giggs in charge until the end of the season and announce Pep as the successor once his time is up at Bayern.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    edited December 2015
    Most criminals have been the victims of many more offences than Joe Normal Public. I can recall reading a study about a young offenders institute- and the numbers of offences experienced by the population was quite staggering- child abuse, assault, theft, sexual assault etc. Naturally, very few of these offences had ever been reported to the police.

Cyclefree said:

• Options
    edited December 2015
    isam said:

Worst was in the wake of November’s atrocity in Paris when the story went around from the Wall Street Journal to the Huffington Post and the Daily Mail that one of the suicide bombers at the Stade de France football stadium had been stopped and turned away by a Muslim security guard called Zouheir. The story was reported around the world and heralded across social media. Amid a night of bloodshed which allegedly had nothing to do with Islam here was a security guard who had everything to do with Islam saving hundreds of lives. This seemed such a good meme that it became one of the most popular “stories” of the night on Twitter. Except that it turned out — as the BBC was unusual in being good enough to concede — that the tale was fabricated. There was a guard in the stadium of unknown religion called Zouheir but he had been elsewhere on the night and had not seen any bombers. He had relayed part of a colleague’s story to a reporter. Why had this all become about him? For the simple reason that people wanted it to be."

On the last point. I don't believe the media did say what is written there, it was idiots on twitter that didn't read the articles closely enough. I remember reading the article on the Mail website and the edition I read certainly didn't say that Zouheir was the man responsible, they reported straight as this was another guard retelling what he heard over the radio.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3321032/PIERS-MORGAN-Brave-Muslims-stopped-far-deaths-Paris-terror-attacks-s-rest-Islam-guts-root-ISIS.html

Furthermore, the Daily Mail did actually track down the real security guard and he did turn out to be a Muslim.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3337928/Hero-guard-saved-France-baby-faced-bomber-football-stadium-stopping-sneaking-turnstile-detonating-vest-thousands-fans-President-Hollande.html
  • Options
    Biased BBC the Kippers Greens will scream

The BBC has awarded Ukip three party political broadcasts a year outside elections even though the party has only one MP in the House of Commons, folowing a rule change introduced by the corporation’s governing body.

The broadcaster said it had done so taking into account Ukip’s level of support in the country and the fact that in the runup to the referendum on EU membership a Eurosceptic party should get more time on British television.

The Green party, however, will not get any broadcasts even though it too has a single MP. No explanation for the decision was provided, but the party’s share of the polls is lower: Ukip is currently polling at about 14% while the Greens sit at 5%.

http://bit.ly/1UWeHiL
  • Options

Wanderer said:

Election night really was a dream for us Tories and a nightmare for everyone else (except the Nats)
    Oh dear. Just wait for the levels of despair that will follow the rout of Labour at GE 2020.
  • Options
    Atul from Labour Uncut is predicting a Tory maj of 150. That may be despair talking, but demonstrates the WTF thinking vs Jezza will be PM propaganda

Wanderer said:

Oh dear. Just wait for the levels of despair that will follow the rout of Labour at GE 2020.
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

How can you "survive" something you have not "experienced"?

I probably shouldn't be saying this here - but life is not lived in your back bedroom. All those people claiming ersatz experiences based on what has happened to others need to go out and live.

I couldn't agree more. I was just larding your comment (with which I also couldn't agree more) with a bit of gratuitous sarcasm.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Re the story of Zouheir...this was the original report that everything snowballed from. Again I read this when it was first published and it hasn't be adjusted to later fit the "facts"...as I said it was idiots on twitter that appear to have a reading comprehension problem.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/attacker-tried-to-enter-paris-stadium-but-was-turned-away-1447520571

"Zouheir, who could see the VIP box from his post."

This was the crucial bit that so many people seemed to miss.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,971

isam said:

On the last point. I don't believe the media did say what is written there, it was idiots on twitter that didn't read the articles closely enough. I remember reading the article on the Mail website and the edition I read certainly didn't say that Zouheir was the man responsible, they reported straight as this was another guard retelling what he heard over the radio.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3321032/PIERS-MORGAN-Brave-Muslims-stopped-far-deaths-Paris-terror-attacks-s-rest-Islam-guts-root-ISIS.html

Furthermore, the Daily Mail did actually track down the real security guard and he did turn out to be a Muslim.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3337928/Hero-guard-saved-France-baby-faced-bomber-football-stadium-stopping-sneaking-turnstile-detonating-vest-thousands-fans-President-Hollande.html
    It was this one I guess

http://imgur.com/RA78nFE

Well played to the other security guard though!
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312

A survey for the Standard by BMG Research also exposed a huge lack of trust in the inquiry set up to get to the bottom of the “Tatler Tory” scandal.

Almost half the 1,500 people surveyed said they would not trust the investigation’s findings. Around the same amount said former minister Grant Shapps was right to resign over the affair, in which Tory activist Elliott Johnson, 21, committed suicide after complaining about bullying.

Dr Michael Turner, director of BMG Research, said: “These results paint a fairly bleak picture for the party ahead of the campaigning season for elections around the country in 2016. The poll shows large numbers from all sides calling for heads to roll. Even among those who voted Conservative in May.”

I thought all the Eds had already rolled, albeit Labour ones.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    isam said:

isam said:

It was this one I guess

http://imgur.com/RA78nFE

Well played to the other security guard though!
    As I said moron on twitter with piss poor reading comprehension i.e. Piers Morgan ;-) ...Also, it was rapidly corrected, if you check the link in my response, and the original Daily Mail articles, not the opinion piece, stated the truth. Somehow, somebody at the Mail let Morgan's piece go live.
  • Options
    isam said:

[Snipped for length]
    Worst was in the wake of November’s atrocity in Paris when the story went around from the Wall Street Journal that one of the suicide bombers at the Stade de France football stadium had been stopped and turned away by a Muslim security guard called Zouheir. The story was reported around the world and heralded across social media. Amid a night of bloodshed which allegedly had nothing to do with Islam here was a security guard who had everything to do with Islam saving hundreds of lives. This seemed such a good meme that it became one of the most popular “stories” of the night on Twitter. Except that it turned out — as the BBC was unusual in being good enough to concede — that the tale was fabricated. There was a guard in the stadium of unknown religion called Zouheir but he had been elsewhere on the night and had not seen any bombers. He had relayed part of a colleague’s story to a reporter. Why had this all become about him? For the simple reason that people wanted it to be."

http://standpointmag.co.uk/node/6357/full

There are two aspects to this: one good and one not so good.

The good one is the desire to find anything good in a story of horror. I don't think this a bad impulse. Sometimes - most times, maybe - there is nothing good there. But hope, the desire for hope, is what makes us survive, what makes life bearable.

The not so good is the desire to make some "good" action by a Muslim somehow emblematic. Silly because if you are going to do this you will have to accept that "bad" actions by Muslims are also emblematic and insulting also because there is the unstated assumption that somehow people should not feel furious about what has happened because, look, over there, is a nice Muslim not killing someone and that really is a pretty low bar, it's the poverty of low expectations and it's denying those to whom harm has done their right to feel exactly how they want about what has happened and about those behind it and not feel constrained just because others want to put a gloss on things or want to deny people the very real anger and fury they feel. And so we get fake emotion and feelings rather than real ones on one side and very real emotion and feelings on the other, so real in fact that they are made known through bullets and bombs and knives.

What is concerning is not the backlash that never comes after these attacks or the fear of the backlash which has everyone tiptoeing around but that there has not been enough anger and fury at what has gone on and why we have ended up in such a situation. And I say this not because I want a backlash against innocents - I absolutely do not - but because I worry about what will happen when eventually we get the proverbial straw breaking the camel's back. Better to let off steam early and in a controlled manner than have some uncontrolled explosion when it all finally gets too much.
  • Options
    edited December 2015

I wonder what percentage of those surveyed even know what the story is or what Feldman's alleged involvement was? When presented with should such and such go over x scandal, people who don't know the story are more than likely tick the yes of course he should go box.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341

Pulpstar said:

How many people actually go out to buy things now?

Over 90% of my Christmas shopping is done online.

Madame Chestnut finally made up her mind, as is her perogative, on her preferred choice of gift this morning. A few clicks on a website later and thanks to the wonders on the internet and modern logistics it will be delivered later this evening.

Twenty years ago it would have been an unpleasant and god-forsaken trudge around the West End, a soulless retail park or the High Street.
  • Options
    Sobering advice

National Crime Agency
    89% of men that died were found in water. Please take extra care if drinking in bars & clubs near rivers or canals https://t.co/1zjc2FeUT4
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    edited December 2015

This does not bode well for Lord Feldman. Apparently a number of witnesses are refusing to give evidence as Clifford Chance are unable to protect their identities. The Johnson family are not taking part either.

https://twitter.com/GuidoFawkes/status/678906466783223809
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

This does not bode well for Lord Feldman. Apparently a number of witnesses are refusing to give evidence as Clifford Chance are unable to protect their identities. The Johnson family are not taking part either.

twitter.com/GuidoFawkes/status/678906466783223809
    If we had a decent opposition, Lord Feldman would have long gone
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312

I wonder what percentage of those surveyed even know what the story is or what Feldman's alleged involvement was? When presented with should such and such go over x scandal, people who don't know the story are more than likely tick the yes of course he should go box.
    I agree. This was part of the motivation for my post. It's a bit like children (of all ages) laughing at a joke they don't get.
  • Options

MP_SE said:

Feldman is a disgrace.

His reported comments were the icing on the cake that led to Sean Fear leaving the Conservative Party.
  • Options
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Miss Plato, there's often a piece on Look North about men drowning, typically in York's river (the Ouse).
  • Options

MP_SE said:

Feldman is a disgrace.

His reported comments were the icing on the cake that led to Sean Fear leaving the Conservative Party.
    Comments he denied making,.
  • Options
    Many of you, like me, belonged to The Election Game run by Paul Maggs. It had been running successfully for many years and then a few months ago just stopped, with only a note on the website saying that due to work commitments, some forthcoming elections would not be included. Since then - nothing. Perhaps this issue has been discussed previously but I can't find anything on here or on the web generally, so say what happened.
    It was a great game for those of us interested in political outcomes and with it's league tables, added a competitive edge to our forecasts. If people are still interested in continuing this game, I would be happy to help run it. Has anyone else considered that and how could we arrange to take on the existing site and technical stuff as there is currently no reply to the holder of all that information?
  • Options
    RobinC said:

Many of you, like me, belonged to The Election Game run by Paul Maggs. It had been running successfully for many years and then a few months ago just stopped, with only a note on the website saying that due to work commitments, some forthcoming elections would not be included. Since then - nothing. Perhaps this issue has been discussed previously but I can't find anything on here or on the web generally, so say what happened.
    It was a great game for those of us interested in political outcomes and with it's league tables, added a competitive edge to our forecasts. If people are still interested in continuing this game, I would be happy to help run it. Has anyone else considered that and how could we arrange to take on the existing site and technical stuff as there is currently no reply to the holder of all that information?

Paul was posting last night on PB.

I'll drop him an email tonight and see what his plans are.
  • Options
    A councillor who defected to the SNP has quit just six months later after admitting he doesn’t actually support Scottish independence.
    http://www.sunnation.co.uk/a-politician-who-joined-the-snp-has-quit-again-after-he-realised-he-didnt-support-scottish-independence/
  • Options
    Mr. C, welcome to pb.com.

Whilst not a player/member at The Election Game, I hope it can be restored and that the interlude is temporary and not a sign of anything ominous.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,676

Good afternoon, everyone.

Miss Plato, there's often a piece on Look North about men drowning, typically in York's river (the Ouse).

Not to be outdone, students in Durham drown in the Wear.
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

https://twitter.com/GuidoFawkes/status/678906466783223809
    Anyone investigating a whistleblowing will know that this is the case in most whistleblowing investigations. You try where you can to protect a person's anonymity but it may not be possible e.g. if a court or other authority requires you to provide the name or because it can be guessed from the context or because it is obvious or because, in order to investigate, you need to put the allegations made to the interviewee. That is why any good whistleblowing policy has a no-retaliation provision. And why any such policy will say that it will try and preserve anonymity but will not guarantee it.

Of course some people will whistleblow without ever revealing their names but this does make it harder, sometimes and depending on the allegations, to investigate the matter properly.

This discussion has been closed.