Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » There could be only six months of EURef campaigning left be

SystemSystem Posts: 11,697
edited December 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » There could be only six months of EURef campaigning left before Britain decides

It has been known for sometime that Dave/George want to get the referendum out of the way as soon as possible and overnight the news from the Brussels talks is that the favoured timing could be June or July.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    edited December 2015
    First...as can't sleep due to massive disappointment after watching new Star Wars movie....
  • Options
    Second.....like LEAVE.....
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

First...as can't sleep due to massive disappointment after watching new Star Wars movie....

At least you've only got until March 4 to wait for the next season of HoC (US version) ...
  • Options
    I can't see how anyone can now argue that a vote to Remain would be anything other than, at best, exactly what we have now and most likely yet more integration. As we have said since this whole charade started, Cameron has never been interested in any real reform and simply wants the bare minimum to keep the UK inside the EU.

I have no idea whether it will work or not but the claim that this was ever a serious renegotiation of our relationship has been shown to be laughably false.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

I can't see how anyone can now argue that a vote to Remain would be anything other than, at best, exactly what we have now and most likely yet more integration. As we have said since this whole charade started, Cameron has never been interested in any real reform and simply wants the bare minimum to keep the UK inside the EU.

I have no idea whether it will work or not but the claim that this was ever a serious renegotiation of our relationship has been shown to be laughably false.

Since most leave supporters on here are highly committed to their views there is little Cameron could negotiate which would satisfy them. The referendum is their chance to offer people a convincing alternative arrangement with Europe. Yesterday's kipper spats were not a promising start.
  • Options
    felix said:

Since most leave supporters on here are highly committed to their views there is little Cameron could negotiate which would satisfy them. The referendum is their chance to offer people a convincing alternative arrangement with Europe. Yesterday's kipper spats were not a promising start.
    Which is why it's in Cameron's interest - assuming he wants to REMAIN to get the vote over with as soon as possible- there is little evidence to date that a coherent or considered LEAVE proposition is coming along any time soon - no vision or picture of what LEAVE will look like, just sunny uplands, motherhood and apple pie roast beef....
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    edited December 2015

Anyone that thinks things will stay as they are should take a gander at Mr Cumming's recent blog entry.

https://dominiccummings.wordpress.com/2015/10/06/on-the-referendum-18-the-ecj-uses-the-charter-of-fundamental-rights-to-take-more-power-over-the-uk-this-is-just-the-start/

Prisoners will be getting the vote regardsless of a massive majority in our parliament requiring that this does not happen. More tellingly
    In a little noticed case in July 2015, the Divisional Court in London struck down the Data Retention and Investigatory Powers Act 2014 for inconsistency with the Charter. Nothing in today’s ruling suggests the Government’s appeal against that ruling will be successful. In fact, the reverse is true. Despite ‘security’ being the theme of the Conservative Party conference, a foreign court, rather than the British Parliament, will now decide what is necessary to protect the UK’s national security.
  • Options

felix said:

Which is why it's in Cameron's interest - assuming he wants to REMAIN to get the vote over with as soon as possible- there is little evidence to date that a coherent or considered LEAVE proposition is coming along any time soon - no vision or picture of what LEAVE will look like, just sunny uplands, motherhood and apple pie roast beef....
    I think we went around this yesterday, the same is true of REMAIN, no one has the faintest idea where we will be in five years time if we stay in either, the current position is no indication of where we will be except it will be somewhere along the continuum of "more Europe". Its a binary choice, neither side has a free-pass from telling people what the future holds, each is a leap into the dark. Some will argue they need to hear reasons to stay, others reasons to leave, most will either want to hear neither or both.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

felix said:

I think we went around this yesterday, the same is true of REMAIN, no one has the faintest idea where we will be in five years time if we stay in either, the current position is no indication of where we will be except it will be somewhere along the continuum of "more Europe". Its a binary choice, neither side has a free-pass from telling people what the future holds, each is a leap into the dark. Some will argue they need to hear reasons to stay, others reasons to leave, most will either want to hear neither or both.
    If you really believe that nonsense you should have little difficulty winning the vote. I'm firmly of the view that 'ever closer union's makes perfect sense for members of the Eurozone although when push comes to shove it won't happen. For the UK and others outside the Euro this is not a problem. The UK attracts immigrants because it is economically successful. There are worse scenarios to imagine.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    felix said:

Indigo said:

felix said:

If you really believe that nonsense you should have little difficulty winning the vote. I'm firmly of the view that 'ever closer union's makes perfect sense for members of the Eurozone although when push comes to shove it won't happen. For the UK and others outside the Euro this is not a problem. The UK attracts immigrants because it is economically successful. There are worse scenarios to imagine.
    I thought you were undecided... or have you got the email from CCHQ telling you which way to vote now ?
    officials are scrambling to agree a so-called emergency brake which would allow benefits to be withheld for a limited time – and only with the approval of Brussels – if our welfare state is overwhelmed.
    Yep I can see them all lining up to vote for that.

Still, Theresa May twice refused to rule out leading the LEAVE campaign when asked yesterday, plenty more fun to be had.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

felix said:

No - inertia favours "Remain" - Cameron will come back with his deal and sell it persuasively - who is going to sell the "Leave" deal and what is it?

Better not let go of Nurse for fear of finding something worse......

It may not be pretty but that's how it tends to work...
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Anyone that thinks things will stay as they are should take a gander at Mr Cumming's recent blog entry.

https://dominiccummings.wordpress.com/2015/10/06/on-the-referendum-18-the-ecj-uses-the-charter-of-fundamental-rights-to-take-more-power-over-the-uk-this-is-just-the-start/

Prisoners will be getting the vote regardsless of a massive majority in our parliament requiring that this does not happen. More tellingly
    In a little noticed case in July 2015, the Divisional Court in London struck down the Data Retention and Investigatory Powers Act 2014 for inconsistency with the Charter. Nothing in today’s ruling suggests the Government’s appeal against that ruling will be successful. In fact, the reverse is true. Despite ‘security’ being the theme of the Conservative Party conference, a foreign court, rather than the British Parliament, will now decide what is necessary to protect the UK’s national security.
    Dominic Cummings of the Vote Leave Campaign. You forgot to mention perhaps.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,895
    felix said:

But, it seems equally clear that you're committed to Remain, regardless of the outcome of any negotiations.
  • Options
    felix said:

Indigo said:

Now you have played the man, how about trying to play the ball, or is the Divisional Court a member of vote leave as well. What is it with tribal Tories and cheap point scoring, are you afraid of the actual issues ?
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Sean_F said:

felix said:

But, it seems equally clear that you're committed to Remain, regardless of the outcome of any negotiations.
    "undecided".

He isn't committed to leave or remain, he is committed to Cameron.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

felix said:

Indigo said:

felix said:

I thought you were undecided... or have you got the email from CCHQ telling you which way to vote now ?
    officials are scrambling to agree a so-called emergency brake which would allow benefits to be withheld for a limited time – and only with the approval of Brussels – if our welfare state is overwhelmed.
    Yep I can see them all lining up to vote for that.

Still, Theresa May twice refused to rule out leading the LEAVE campaign when asked yesterday, plenty more fun to be had.

Never said I was undecided and not a member of any political party. Otherwise good post. :)

Well know in February more about the likely final deal. The Telegraph speculation is just that at this stage. Latest polls suggest it will take little to secure a Remain vote - but by all means keep up the Cameron hate fest if it makes you feel better.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

felix said:

Very likely. As an expat I know that many here are very fearful that Brexit could force them back to the UK. I've heard nothing of any convincing reassurance from the Leave campaign on this issue.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,195
    "The PM, no doubt would claim this to be a victory in that it was an acceptance by other EU states that the UK has a problem here."

And he'd be wrong. If the other EU states accept that we have a problem they'll agree to Cameron's demands.

"an “emergency break” on paying in-work benefits to EU migrants if pressure on welfare payment and public services rose exponentially"

From what I know about mathematics, the chances of something like this rising exponentially is unlikely!

Felix said: "Since most leave supporters on here are highly committed to their views there is little Cameron could negotiate which would satisfy them."

I think there is some truth in that, but this is not relevant because Cameron isn't coming back with anything substantial. And don't pretend otherwise.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

felix said:

Indigo said:

Now you have played the man, how about trying to play the ball, or is the Divisional Court a member of vote leave as well. What is it with tribal Tories and cheap point scoring, are you afraid of the actual issues ?

I think you need more sleep - self-awareness failure alert.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

"The PM, no doubt would claim this to be a victory in that it was an acceptance by other EU states that the UK has a problem here."

And he'd be wrong. If the other EU states accept that we have a problem they'll agree to Cameron's demands.

"an “emergency break” on paying in-work benefits to EU migrants if pressure on welfare payment and public services rose exponentially"

From what I know about mathematics, the chances of something like this rising exponentially is unlikely!

Felix said: "Since most leave supporters on here are highly committed to their views there is little Cameron could negotiate which would satisfy them."

I think there is some truth in that, but this is not relevant because Cameron isn't coming back with anything substantial. And don't pretend otherwise.

The ability of some on here to predict the future is quite remarkable. So presumably the referendum leave vote is secured and we can all relax and have a nice Xmas? :)
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,038
    felix said:

Sean_F said:

felix said:

Very likely. As an expat I know that many here are very fearful that Brexit could force them back to the UK. I've heard nothing of any convincing reassurance from the Leave campaign on this issue.
    Felix, surely you've read the assurances from LEAVE that if we do, everything everywhere will be exactly the same, except that there'll be no Polish plumbers.

Immigration from OUTSIDE the EU will also stop!
  • Options

felix said:

Sean_F said:

felix said:

Felix, surely you've read the assurances from LEAVE that if we do, everything everywhere will be exactly the same, except that there'll be no Polish plumbers.

Apparently also Dougie and Nige will make up and there'll be shock kipper gay wedding after the referendum :)
  • Options

felix said:

Sean_F said:

felix said:

LEAVE remind me of the NATS - full of brave assertions promising things out with their gift - and like the NATS there is little evidence that they have done their homework- giving them 6 months to get their act together could prove "challenging".
  • Options
    felix said:

tlg86 said:

The ability of some on here to predict the future is quite remarkable. So presumably the referendum leave vote is secured and we can all relax and have a nice Xmas? :)
    The reason leave has a chance is because of the possibility of Cameron coming back with nothing and saying it's a great deal. As it is people might decide that they are happy to stay in the EU anyway, which will be fair enough.

In the longer term, however, if immigration carries on at the rate it's currently at, then I'd suggest the 2020 election will be very interesting.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

felix said:

tlg86 said:

The reason leave has a chance is because of the possibility of Cameron coming back with nothing and saying it's a great deal. As it is people might decide that they are happy to stay in the EU anyway, which will be fair enough.

In the longer term, however, if immigration carries on at the rate it's currently at, then I'd suggest the 2020 election will be very interesting.
    The only potential winners on a strong anti-immigrant ticket would be UKIP. They'll need to get their act together first and British GEs tend to depend on the economy above all else.
  • Options
    Serious question: is benefits really a big issue for either Remain or Leave? I'm struggling to see any great point of principle here; at best it seems an unconvincing proxy for either sovereignty or immigration.
  • Options
    felix said:

tlg86 said:

felix said:

tlg86 said:

The only potential winners on a strong anti-immigrant ticket would be UKIP. They'll need to get their act together first and British GEs tend to depend on the economy above all else.
    Yes the chances of something going tits up by 2017 are surely greater than by mid-2016 "trust us on the economy- trust us on this" does not have an indefinite shelf life.....
  • Options
    felix said:

tlg86 said:

felix said:

tlg86 said:

Ah yes, the economy. My main concern with immigration is that it's coming on the back of our apparently strong economy. We still have a significant budget deficit and Osborne's behaviour since the election doesn't fill me with confidence that eradicating the deficit is high up his list of priorities.

I'm sure many of the immigrants will return home if our economy goes tits up. I'm sure they wouldn't dream of staying here.
  • Options
    Assuming Cameron does vote REMAIN it will be fun watching the Tartan Tories . SNP campaign for the same thing as the Conservatives......"We want to REMAIN but we don't agree with the Torees...."
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    felix said:

Whoever officially leads the Leave campaign, it will be seen as Farages little baby. Leaves biggest problem is the repellent nature of the faces fronting it.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,057

Assuming Cameron does vote REMAIN it will be fun watching the Tartan Tories . SNP campaign for the same thing as the Conservatives......"We want to REMAIN but we don't agree with the Torees...."

No. The SNP's line will be: "The Tories want to leave, but Cameron is so frit of Scotland leaving he's supporting remain. Therefore we're wining the EU indy ref, just as we won the Scottish Indy ref. Loyalist turnip (insert gibberish here)."
  • Options
    edited December 2015

UKIP will be clearly for Leave.

The SNP, LibDems, Labour, PC and Greens clearly for Remain.

The only party where there will be a big split will be the Tories. Scottish Tories will be for Remain, and the rUK Tories will either be half hearted or fighting their own leader.

This is the best opportunity of the parliament for the other parties to wound the Tories. Something even Corbyn and Kendall will agree on.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

felix said:

tlg86 said:

felix said:

tlg86 said:

Ah yes, the economy. My main concern with immigration is that it's coming on the back of our apparently strong economy. We still have a significant budget deficit and Osborne's behaviour since the election doesn't fill me with confidence that eradicating the deficit is high up his list of priorities.

I'm sure many of the immigrants will return home if our economy goes tits up. I'm sure they wouldn't dream of staying here.
    This is why I'd strongly support a move to make everyone in the UK contribute for 3-5 years before becoming eligible for most benefits. The system which allows 18 yr olds to go straight onto benefits is ridiculous. On the broader point remember the thousands of expats who leave the UK to retire abroad - in many cases still paying UK taxes while no burden at all on UK public services.
  • Options

The only party where there will be a big split will be the Tories. Scottish Tories will be for Remain, and the rUK Tories will either be half hearted or fighting their own leader.

This is the best opportunity of the parliament for the other parties to wound the Tories. Something even Corbyn and Kendall will agree on.
    Maybe - or maybe not: http://www.conservativehome.com/thetorydiary/2015/12/how-will-cameron-manage-cabinet-ministers-who-back-brexit.html

Much depends on how potential new leaders see the likely result affecting their own political futures. I tend to the view that Osborne is correct here.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    FELIX..British citizens lived all over Europe long before the EU was formed..all they had to do was report themselves o the local police station once a year with proof of identity..a passport usually did the trick.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,785
    edited December 2015
    This has become a race against time between Number 10 and the Outters.

The Prime Minister knows that the Outters need to organise, to find credible and articulate spokesmen and women, develop a positive and optimistic message and address fears that Brexit will adversely affect family incomes.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/general-election-2015/politics-blog/11694135/The-EU-referendum-is-a-race-against-time.html
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    felix said:

felix said:

Sean_F said:

felix said:

Apparently also Dougie and Nige will make up and there'll be shock kipper gay wedding after the referendum :)
    A nice pair of kippers over breakfast ....

I'll get my coat and LEAVE ....

• Options
    felix said:

Maybe - or maybe not: http://www.conservativehome.com/thetorydiary/2015/12/how-will-cameron-manage-cabinet-ministers-who-back-brexit.html

Much depends on how potential new leaders see the likely result affecting their own political futures. I tend to the view that Osborne is correct here.
    A licence to campaign on either side is about managing a split rather than preventing one. We have all seen the tolerance and love that springs from the mouths of BOOers. Much of that will be aimed at the percieved traitors in their own party who campaign for in.

The one thing that is certain in this campaign is Tory infighting. Indeed it is the reason that we have a referendum in the first place.

If we vote Leave, then the terms of departure will dominate the next parliament. The rancour will dominate right wing politics for a generation. Centrists and Leftists will look very sober and united in sharp contrast.

Cameron is right to get this out of the way quickly so the damage can be repaired before 2020.
  • Options
    felix said:

This is why I'd strongly support a move to make everyone in the UK contribute for 3-5 years before becoming eligible for most benefits. The system which allows 18 yr olds to go straight onto benefits is ridiculous. On the broader point remember the thousands of expats who leave the UK to retire abroad - in many cases still paying UK taxes while no burden at all on UK public services.

This is the crux of the matter. I have respect for the view you put forward and I think there is a case for recasting the welfare system. The problem is that the Tory leadership is too busy trying to secure the centre ground of British politics.

On British emigrants, I doubt France and Spain will stop them moving there if we leave the EU. Ultimately such people provide foreign direct investment. And a lot of those people tend to return to the UK when they get older as they want the comfort of the NHS, which is understandable.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,038
    As far as I know, a significant part our immigration "problem" is incomers from outside the EU, largely from the New Commonwealth. And they tend to plan to stay, whereas East Europeans expect to go home after they've saved a bit of cash.

Won't leaving the EU therefore make the "problem", if indeed problem there is, worse?
  • Options

FELIX..British citizens lived all over Europe long before the EU was formed..all they had to do was report themselves o the local police station once a year with proof of identity..a passport usually did the trick.

Yes you keep saying this but mostly these were well-heeled expats who didn't need to worry about private health cover, UK state pensions, etc. The EU has enabled many more to retire much more easily confident that their pensions will be paid and taxed properly and that they will get health cover once over pension age. All this goes up in the air with Brexit and the Leave campaign have conspicuously failed to show any interest in the issue despite about half a million expat voters in the pot.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

felix said:

This is the crux of the matter. I have respect for the view you put forward and I think there is a case for recasting the welfare system. The problem is that the Tory leadership is too busy trying to secure the centre ground of British politics.

On British emigrants, I doubt France and Spain will stop them moving there if we leave the EU. Ultimately such people provide foreign direct investment. And a lot of those people tend to return to the UK when they get older as they want the comfort of the NHS, which is understandable.
    Yes some do return but many find the NHS is Spain , eg, rather better than in the UK ad basically don't want to leave. You may be right about France and Spain or not - expats want certainty not doubt.
  • Options
    FELIX Why should it all go up in the air at Brexit...Brits have always lived on the continent of Europe..and Europeans have always lived in the UK..why should any of that change...apart from a few formalities..
  • Options
    Good morning, everyone.

The leave campaign(s) needs to sort itself out.

Still haven't altered my view that Remain will win at a canter.
  • Options
    felix said:

tlg86 said:

felix said:

Yes some do return but many find the NHS is Spain , eg, rather better than in the UK ad basically don't want to leave. You may be right about France and Spain or not - expats want certainty not doubt.
    Quite frankly I don't care about those Brits that leave this wonderful country to live it up on the Costa del Sol. Far be it from me to tell give advice to the Remain campaign, but I'd suggest they avoid this line of argument.
  • Options

FELIX Why should it all go up in the air at Brexit...Brits have always lived on the continent of Europe..and Europeans have always lived in the UK..why should any of that change...apart from a few formalities..

People vote on certainty.
  • Options
    Morning all.
    I'm increasingly of the view that whatever way the vote turns out, the repercussions within the Tory party will rumble on for another 20 years a la Maastricht.
    If REMAIN wins, every new bit of further integration will be met with cries of 'We told you this would happen' from the Outers.
    If LEAVE wins, every slight wobble in the UK economy will be denounced as 'It wouldn't have happened if we had remained in the EU'.
    That said, I expect REMAIN to get about 55-58% of the vote.
    It's all a bit of a buggers muddle with no one ending up happy about it all.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

felix said:

tlg86 said:

felix said:

Quite frankly I don't care about those Brits that leave this wonderful country to live it up on the Costa del Sol. Far be it from me to tell give advice to the Remain campaign, but I'd suggest they avoid this line of argument.
    Quite frankly most of them couldn't give a flying **** what you think but half a million of us have a vote. Ironically given the attitude above there is little for the Remain campaign to do in order to get those votes - except maybe quote remarks like yours. Elections are won by careful campaigns and securing votes. Cameron proved that in May.
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    One of the greatest myths I hear is that expats will be sent back to the UK if we leave, there is zero chance that Spain will repatriate high spending Brits to the detriment of the Spanish economy. To suggest otherwise is ludicrous. It's a bit like suggesting we'll kick out foreign footballers.
  • Options

Morning all.
    I'm increasingly of the view that whatever way the vote turns out, the repercussions within the Tory party will rumble on for another 20 years a la Maastricht.
    If REMAIN wins, every new bit of further integration will be met with cries of 'We told you this would happen' from the Outers.
    If LEAVE wins, every slight wobble in the UK economy will be denounced as 'It wouldn't have happened if we had remained in the EU'.

I'd broadly agree there. Cameorn has kept his promise however and Leave have their chance to state their case.
  • Options
    Mr. Pubgoer, that's possible, but the Conservatives have the opportunity to almost immediately elect a new leader and that may mean that they can head off such a damaging rupture.

Corbyn's insane, but if the Conservatives went crazy he could yet win. They cannot simply assume they can have a civil war and still cruise to victory.
  • Options

One of the greatest myths I hear is that expats will be sent back to the UK if we leave, there is zero chance that Spain will repatriate high spending Brits to the detriment of the Spanish economy. To suggest otherwise is ludicrous. It's a bit like suggesting we'll kick out foreign footballers.

There are enormous protections for expats in EU countries currently all of which would be under threat from Brexit - relating to taxes, pensions and healthcare. All 3 are issues which determine votes [about half a million potentially]. I would not give my vote to Leave on a vague re-assurance that all will be well.
  • Options

Mr. Pubgoer, that's possible, but the Conservatives have the opportunity to almost immediately elect a new leader and that may mean that they can head off such a damaging rupture.

Corbyn's insane, but if the Conservatives went crazy he could yet win. They cannot simply assume they can have a civil war and still cruise to victory.

Quite. And under Corbyn we'd have a lot more to worry about.
  • Options
    felix said:

There are enormous protections for expats in EU countries currently all of which would be under threat from Brexit - relating to taxes, pensions and healthcare. All 3 are issues which determine votes [about half a million potentially]. I would not give my vote to Leave on a vague re-assurance that all will be well.
    Under what circumstances would you give your vote to leave?.

I repeat my earlier point, which you actually know to be true because of half a million people, there is zero chance of Spain kicking you lot out. Luckily
  • Options
    felix said:

tlg86 said:

felix said:

tlg86 said:

felix said:

Quite frankly most of them couldn't give a flying **** what you think but half a million of us have a vote. Ironically given the attitude above there is little for the Remain campaign to do in order to get those votes - except maybe quote remarks like yours. Elections are won by careful campaigns and securing votes. Cameron proved that in May.
    I don't doubt that Brits abroad will largely vote to stay in - as is their right. Given this, I don't think either campaign should focus their attention on this group of people.
  • Options
    Mr. Felix, after Edward III won some large naval victory or other over the frogs, he just let the navy languish and decay, because he assumed the Channel was in his hands perpetually. Of course, the French (as Antigonus did to oppose Egyptian naval dominion) worked hard to restore their ships and later controlled the seas once more.

We'll see how the Conservatives behave before, during and after the referendum, but if they act as if they're entitled to power the electorate may take a quite different view.
    If Corbyn won (even as an SNP glove puppet) that would be terrible.
  • Options
    On to the front page of the Times, according to the BoE mass migration has kept down wages for lower paid workers.

What an extraordinary revelation, who could possible have foreseen that?
  • Options

MD, I can see the referendum doing to the Tories what Iraq done to Labour.
    Cameron may get out in time and on a relative high (like Blair did).
    However I guess that his entire premiership will soon come to be viewed through that prism.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

felix said:

tlg86 said:

felix said:

tlg86 said:

felix said:

I don't doubt that Brits abroad will largely vote to stay in - as is their right. Given this, I don't think either campaign should focus their attention on this group of people.
    There are as many Brits working/retired/studying in Europe as there are EU citizens in the UK. The vast majority will be for Remain. The Remain campaign should be one of registration and GOTV.

In a referendum every vote counts the same, there are no safe seats.

Also worth bearing in mind that for every Brit working/retiring/studying in the EU, there are a couple more dreaming of doing so. A new life in the sun is a very common dream in a damp British winter.
  • Options
    Mr. Pubgoer, not sure the situations are comparable, to be honest.

Blair told untruths to Parliament and caused a war that was not necessarily followed by the best aftermath plan in history.

Cameron's giving the electorate the say.

I don't doubt there's potential for the Conservatives to inflict damage on themselves (but that potential may not be realised, if the leadership campaign acts as a pressure valve), but it's not in the same league as Iraq/Blair [if nothing else, you can't un-invade a country, but you can run a second referendum].
  • Options

On to the front page of the Times, according to the BoE mass migration has kept down wages for lower paid workers.

What an extraordinary revelation, who could possible have foreseen that?

I should think zero inflation and govt policies post 2010 have played a big part too. Let's not forget though the big tax cuts and rates freezes along with mortgage rate cuts which mean many have really had quite a good recession. As a pensioner I feel my group has really done almost too well. :)
  • Options
    felix People vote on certainty" really..you may wish to reconsider that one..
  • Options

tlg86 said:

felix said:

tlg86 said:

felix said:

tlg86 said:

felix said:

There are as many Brits working/retired/studying in Europe as there are EU citizens in the UK. The vast majority will be for Remain. The Remain campaign should be one of registration and GOTV.

Also worth bearing in mind that for every Brit working/retiring/studying in the EU, there are a couple more dreaming of doing so. A new life in the sun is a very common dream in a damp British winter.
    Somebody else painting a ridiculous picture of wealthy pensioners being evicted from Provence and Marbella after Brexit.

These Inners are the ones calling for honest discussions not scare stories. Tribalism turns rational people into fools.
  • Options

felix said:

I repeat my earlier point, which you actually know to be true because of half a million people, there is zero chance of Spain kicking you lot out. Luckily
    I was ignoring it because it is a stupid point.Many expats I talk to would return to the UK to avoid problems with healthcare/pensions/taxes leaving only the fortunate few [like me :)] who don't need to worry about such sordid details. A very high proportion of expats are not well enough off to stay in France and Spain without the current protections. That's how you get 'kicked out'. It's very heartening to see the level of ignorance displayed on here by the doyens of the Leave Campaign. It would be fun watching the UK NHS cope with vast numbers of returning elderly expats on low incomes.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062

felix said:

Sean_F said:

felix said:

LEAVE remind me of the NATS - full of brave assertions promising things out with their gift - and like the NATS there is little evidence that they have done their homework- giving them 6 months to get their act together could prove "challenging".
    The English will crap it and vote to remain taking handouts from Europe. They will be whinging about pensions, immigrants and their greatness, etc but will remain welded to the teat, self seeking and self interest will ensure a resounding remain.
  • Options
    edited December 2015

I have been an ex-pat outside the EU on and off for a long time, almost six years in my current location, and as you say, I make an annual report to immigration, which costs me a fiver and takes about ten minutes, and otherwise I go about my business with no hassle whatsoever.
  • Options
    felix said:

tlg86 said:

felix said:

How does that make them different to anyone else?
  • Options

felix People vote on certainty" really..you may wish to reconsider that one..

No thanks - I've talked to a lot of expats and i know how they're thinking.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    edited December 2015
    I remain baffled and frankly very unimpressed by the BOOers who can't think of anything bar rubbishing Cameron and anyone else who happens to be DK [you're a liar], or Remainers [stupid lackies].

If they think that Cameron is doing a crap job - REjOICE! It makes your life easier - win the DKs over with warm messages of reassurance, with persuasive facts, and the coherent plans up your sleeve. You'll need them if you win. There is no mileage in blaming your rivals for not supporting your POV - and doubly so for moaning endlessly about how useless they are. It comes across as angry and bitter - and rather unhinged. Imagine United fans complaining City weren't trying hard enough to win...

I'm voting Leave - and I despair at the paucity of persuasion I read on here. If this is indicative of their campaign, winning will be in spite of, not because of them.

felix said:

• Options
    Mr. G, handouts from Europe? The EU isn't Europe but, more importantly, we're a massive net contributor...
  • Options
    felix said:

felix said:

I was ignoring it because it is a stupid point.Many expats I talk to would return to the UK to avoid problems with healthcare/pensions/taxes leaving only the fortunate few [like me :)] who don't need to worry about such sordid details. A very high proportion of expats are not well enough off to stay in France and Spain without the current protections. That's how you get 'kicked out'. It's very heartening to see the level of ignorance displayed on here by the doyens of the Leave Campaign. It would be fun watching the UK NHS cope with vast numbers of returning elderly expats on low incomes.
    You must be the most committed undecided voter in electoral history.

Still, you have extraordinarily well for yourself, as you never tire of telling us.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

felix said:

Sean_F said:

felix said:

The English will crap it and vote to remain taking handouts from Europe. They will be whinging about pensions, immigrants and their greatness, etc but will remain welded to the teat, self seeking and self interest will ensure a resounding remain.
    What are these handouts? We are net contributors.

• Options
    malcolmg said:

felix said:

Sean_F said:

felix said:

While the Scots will vote Leave? Seriously? Come on Malc - have some porridge and kickstart your brain. :)
  • Options

Mr. Pubgoer, not sure the situations are comparable, to be honest.

Blair told untruths to Parliament and caused a war that was not necessarily followed by the best aftermath plan in history.

Cameron's giving the electorate the say.

I don't doubt there's potential for the Conservatives to inflict damage on themselves (but that potential may not be realised, if the leadership campaign acts as a pressure valve), but it's not in the same league as Iraq/Blair [if nothing else, you can't un-invade a country, but you can run a second referendum].

Will a 2nd referendum be politically possible or will it be 'settled for a generation'?
    I imagine on the night after the polls have closed.
    Presumably there'll be an exit poll and we will immediately have all the odious types (Mandleson, Clarke, Kinnock etc) all over the media calling for Euro membership, Schengen and gawd knows what else.
  • Options

The GOTV campaign for those voters will be interesting! I'd suggest the remain campaign do it discretely. Whilst you're probably right to suggest that some people might aspire to having a place in the sun, the reality is very different for most people. The sight of the remain campaign begging for expats to vote to stay in might not go down so well with other undecided voters back in blighty.
  • Options

felix said:

tlg86 said:

felix said:

How does that make them different to anyone else?
    It doesn't except for them Remain gives the certainty they need. And they have around half a million votes.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

I have been an ex-pat outside the EU on and off for a long time, almost six years in my current location, and as you say, I make an annual report to immigration, which costs me a fiver and takes about ten minutes, and otherwise I go about my business with no hassle whatsoever.
    If you're a foreign resident you need annual tax return/ proof of health cover and your UK pension is safe under the current arrangements. All of which could change under Brexit. In Spain [ not the least corrupt nation in the world] the protections we have from EU membership and EU law are vital.
  • Options
    edited December 2015

If they think that Cameron is doing a crap job - REjOICE! It makes your life easier - win the DKs over with warm messages of reassurance, with persuasive facts, and the coherent plans up your sleeve. You'll need them if you win. There is no mileage in blaming your rivals for not supporting your POV - and doubly so for moaning endlessly about how useless they are. It comes across as angry and bitter - and rather unhinged. Imagine United fans complaining City weren't trying hard enough to win...

Where as it's perfectly acceptable for "undecided" Cameron tribalists to bore the pants off everyone about what a wonderful job he is doing, and how he is really doing a great job and should not be criticised (if ever) until the end of the negotiations, by which time his cheer leaders will have had a six month clear run at waving their pom-poms.

Its the most disingenuous crap ever, people can't dis Cameron because they don't know what he will bring home, but its perfectly expectable to run around cheering for him, even though they don't know what he will bring home.

The transparent attempt to close down debate on the renegotiation because it might be a bit of an embarrassing damp squib is shameful.
  • Options

felix said:

felix said:

Still, you have extraordinarily well for yourself, as you never tire of telling us.
    Only because you are thick enough to keep asking. I'm not undecided and you keep saying it won't change that. Good of you to ignore all of my weightier points though.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

The GOTV campaign for those voters will be interesting! I'd suggest the remain campaign do it discretely. Whilst you're probably right to suggest that some people might aspire to having a place in the sun, the reality is very different for most people. The sight of the remain campaign begging for expats to vote to stay in might not go down so well with other undecided voters back in blighty.
    They won't need to do much at all - the arrogance of the Leave campaign and the lack of detail in their campaign about how Brexit would work has already got many in a state of panic.
  • Options
    @plato

Exactly, I wanted to leave the EU long before Cameron became PM, my stance has absolutely nothing to do with him. The negotiations at the moment are confirmation of what plenty of us have felt for years, we simply don't want our PM begging to the EU to stop giving money to visitors. That's one example, but shows how by stealth we have conceded what most of us see as democracy over the years. This is the message we have to communicate, one of self governance and free trade. Sideshow nonsense about Brits in Benidorm is irrelevant.

I don't like Cameron as a politician but he is nothing whatsoever to do with my feelings towards the EU.
  • Options
    I'd also imagine that the time lapse between how it worked in the 70s vs 2015 wouldn't exactly be a trump argument either.

If I was an ex-pat in Spain, I'd be worried and vote Remain in most likelihood. It's just natural self preservation to go with what you know.
    felix said:

Yes you keep saying this but mostly these were well-heeled expats who didn't need to worry about private health cover, UK state pensions, etc. The EU has enabled many more to retire much more easily confident that their pensions will be paid and taxed properly and that they will get health cover once over pension age. All this goes up in the air with Brexit and the Leave campaign have conspicuously failed to show any interest in the issue despite about half a million expat voters in the pot.
  • Options
    felix said:

felix said:

felix said:

Only because you are thick enough to keep asking. I'm not undecided and you keep saying it won't change that. Good of you to ignore all of my weightier points though.
    You haven't made weighty points, you ignore sovereignty, democracy and the ability to trade freely and repeatedly tell us about your immense wealth, how kippers are thick and that Cameron knows how to win elections.

Have another full English in the Pig and Whistle and continue to tell us you're open minded about leaving.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,334
    edited December 2015

A rare example where I disagree with you entirely Doctor. Corbyn has a long history of Euroscepticism because he sees the EU as the stooges of big business (which is quite ironic when you consider the right sees the EU as the stooges of Socialist ideologues - it probably has something to do with the massive changes the EU underwent in the 1980s from a customs organisation to a political and social one, which because Corbyn is stuck in the 1970s he hasn't actually noticed).

Indeed, one of the great risks for Cameron of this referendum is that the solidly pro-EU PLP will finally revolt if Corbyn is not sufficiently enthusiastic in his endorsement of the EU. (It should be noted this is yet another issue where they are out of step with the hard-left membership, who define socialism as 'looking after our workers', not those of [and I quote] 'some shitty Slavic country'.) He's already been forced to tone down some of his rhetoric on the subject of possibly campaigning for out. If this leads to a putsch, the irony of the Labour leader being ousted over a European matter after using it to divide their principal opponents for years will be truly delicious.
  • Options
    felix said:

Ex-pats living in North America, Australia, and New Zealand seem to cope just fine, without being part of the EU.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,356
    Although I have concerns about a EZ dominated EU the disingenuity of those opposed to EU membership is still irritating. Mr Cummings article linked to below is a good example.

The Data Retention and Investigatory Powers Act 2014 that he refers to is an Act which introduces a framework directive, the Data Retention Directive, into UK law. There is absolutely nothing new or startling with the proposition that it is open for a party to argue that the Government has not done that correctly. The leading case in Scotland about that was to do with TUPE more than 30 years ago. I have not been able to find the case he refers to but it is very, very unlikely that the Charter of Fundamental Freedoms has anything to do with its reasoning. I can't see how it could be relevant except to the extent that the Data Retention Directive itself gives certain rights to privacy etc.

To argue that a decision of the CJE in respect of a French prisoner makes it "inevitable" that UK prisoners will get the vote is also inaccurate. It is possible that they might get the vote in EU elections on the basis that the EU is entitled to determine the franchise for its own elections to the European Parliament but this says nothing about their right or non right to vote in UK domestic elections which is not a matter within the competence of the EU. It is a matter within the competence of Strasbourg under ECHR but the Government has been making some progress recently dealing with the Council of Europe on that issue.
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838
    ydoethur said:

Something even Corbyn and Kendall will agree on.
    A rare example where I disagree with you entirely Doctor. Corbyn has a long history of Euroscepticism because he sees the EU as the stooges of big business (which is quite ironic when you consider the right sees the EU as the stooges of Socialist ideologues - it probably has something to do with the massive changes the EU underwent in the 1980s from a customs organisation to a political and social one, which because Corbyn is stuck in the 1970s he hasn't actually noticed).

Indeed, one of the great risks for Cameron of this referendum is that the solidly pro-EU PLP will finally revolt if Corbyn is not sufficiently enthusiastic in his endorsement of the EU. (It should be noted this is yet another issue where they are out of step with the hard-left membership, who define socialism as 'looking after our workers', not those of [and I quote] 'some shitty Slavic country'.) He's already been forced to tone down some of his rhetoric on the subject of possibly campaigning for out. If this leads to a putsch, the irony of the Labour leader being ousted over a European matter after using it to divide their principal opponents for years will be truly delicious.
    There hasn't been much sign of such a Labour split so far though.
  • Options
    You're doing it again - what are the positive reasons to Leave?

I don't give a tinker's cuss what Leavers think about Remainers - why should my next door neighbour vote Leave?

He's apolitical, fairly ordinary job and votes in GEs.
    Indigo said:

Where as it's perfectly acceptable for "undecided" Cameron tribalists to bore the pants off everyone about what a wonderful job he is doing, and how he is really doing a great job and should not be criticised (if ever) until the end of the negotiations, by which time his cheer leaders will have had a six month clear run at waving their pom-poms.

Its the most disingenuous crap ever, people can't dis Cameron because they don't know what he will bring home, but its perfectly expectable to run around cheering for him, even though they don't know what he will bring home.

The transparent attempt to close down debate on the renegotiation because it might be a bit of an embarrassing damp squib is shameful.
  • Options

Morning all.

I think more Conservative voters will back Leave than Remain, and Right of Centre voters generally will back Leave by a big margin, even if, as I anticipate, Remain wins narrowly.
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

ydoethur said:

Something even Corbyn and Kendall will agree on.

There hasn't been much sign of such a Labour split so far though.
    According to a director of Labour Leave 6 of the shadow cabinet are Leavers
  • Options

felix said:

felix said:

felix said:

You haven't made weighty points, you ignore sovereignty, democracy and the ability to trade freely and repeatedly tell us about your immense wealth, how kippers are thick and that Cameron knows how to win elections.

Have another full English in the Pig and Whistle and continue to tell us you're open minded about leaving.
    I keep saying I'm not unedecided and you keep ignoring it - focussing instead on mythical immense wealth which I've never claimed either. Not all kippers are thick either despite your efforts to give that impression.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

The Data Retention and Investigatory Powers Act 2014 that he refers to is an Act which introduces a framework directive, the Data Retention Directive, into UK law. There is absolutely nothing new or startling with the proposition that it is open for a party to argue that the Government has not done that correctly. The leading case in Scotland about that was to do with TUPE more than 30 years ago. I have not been able to find the case he refers to but it is very, very unlikely that the Charter of Fundamental Freedoms has anything to do with its reasoning. I can't see how it could be relevant except to the extent that the Data Retention Directive itself gives certain rights to privacy etc.

http://curia.europa.eu/juris/document/document.jsf?text=&docid=169195&pageIndex=0&doclang=en&mode=req&dir=&occ=first&part=1&cid=87087

Especially p.94
    In particular, legislation permitting the public authorities to have access on a generalised basis to the content of electronic communications must be regarded as compromising the essence of the fundamental right to respect for private life, as guaranteed by Article 7 of the Charter (see, to this effect, judgment in Digital Rights Ireland and Others, C‑293/12 and C‑594/12, EU:C:2014:238, paragraph 39).
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,356
    How many ex pats in Spain will actually have the vote? To have the vote they would have had to remain on the electoral register here. I suspect that the recent clean up of the registers and indeed the steps toward individual voter registration will have taken the majority of them off.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

felix said:

Ex-pats living in North America, Australia, and New Zealand seem to cope just fine, without being part of the EU.
    The numbers are much smaller but many don't cope and return - especially those reliant on the OAP which is not paid in full to expats in Australia for example. Likewise there is no free NHS there either. A very large proportion of expats in Spain rely on the free healthcare and the full UK pension and there is no guarantee this will continue post-Brexit. Even double taxation would need to be re-negotiated. Of course wealthy expats can live comfortably where they choose. They are not the ones I am talking about.
  • Options
    edited December 2015

I don't give a tinker's cuss what Leavers think about Remainers - why should my next door neighbour vote Leave?

Indigo said:

The Hannan point is the key one or should be, it points the lie that we have any influence at all in the EU:

Given how hard it has been to get the slightest movement or consideration from the other EU members when they are looking down the barrel of their second richest member leaving, how hard is it going to be to get any sort of accommodation for British interests the day after an IN referendum result?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

How many ex pats in Spain will actually have the vote? To have the vote they would have had to remain on the electoral register here. I suspect that the recent clean up of the registers and indeed the steps toward individual voter registration will have taken the majority of them off.

Not so - very easy to register and large numbers keep their UK vote - especially pensioners - we pay UK tax.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

It's noteworthy that pb's expats are among pb's most passionate posters on EU matters.
  • Options

Indigo said:

As ever you highlight the paucity of the Leave argument so well you may even end up an 'inner' :)
  • Options

Indigo said:

For me, the reason to Leave is that our relationship with other EU member States isn't working out. If we vote Remain, we get more of the same; endless arguments over increased budgetary contributions; endless spats between our government, which doesn't want more political integration, and most other EU governments and EU institutions, which do; endless mission creep, as EU institutions seek to micro-manage the affairs of member States.

I think that leaving the EU at least gives the opportunity of negotiating a better relationship with the EU. Staying in, doesn't.
  • Options
    edited December 2015

DavidL said:

It's noteworthy that pb's expats are among pb's most passionate posters on EU matters.
    Self-interest is a powerful motivation to vote.

Edit: I know [sadly] a fair few rabidly pro-UKIP and anti-immigrant expats over here - but none that would consider voting Leave :smiley:
This discussion has been closed.