Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Corbyn supporters are a broad church. Labour MPs worried th

SystemSystem Posts: 11,698
edited December 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Corbyn supporters are a broad church. Labour MPs worried that he is leading them to defeat need to engage with their new members.

The Shavian quote was offered to me by the wise and erudite Lewis Baston after I recounted to him a Twitter spat with blogger Dan Hodges. For the avoidance of doubt, Hodges, who hails from a Labour family but earns his living from the Telegraph and the Spectator, is cast in the role of the metaphorical pig.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    I see Corbyn pointing out mines started closing 30 years ago under Thatcher. No mention of. Wilson doing it with twice as many in half the time.
  • Options
    Oh and first just like Wilson.
  • Options
    There might be good people who supported Jezza for leader, but there not be many bright ones!
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    Curse of the new thread, from previous thread:
    A series of polls out, 4 actually, 2 from Florida one post one pre-debate, 1 from N.H mostly pre-debate, and one National conducted after the debate:

PPP National after debate

Trump 34 +8
    Cruz 18 +4
    Rubio 13 0
    Bush 7 +2
    Carson 6 -13
    Christie 5 +2
    Fiorina 4 0
    Huckabee 4 0
    Kasich 2 -1
    Paul 2 0

This is a good poll for Trump.
    Funny fact, 30% of republicans want to bomb fictional Agrabah (from Aladdin) vs 13% who are against.
    http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/2015/GOPResults.pdf

Boston Herald N.H half before, half after the debate.

Trump 26 -2
    Cruz 12 +7
    Rubio 12 +6
    Christie 11 +8
    Bush 10 +1
    kasich 8 +2
    Carson 5 -11
    Fiorina 6 -4
    Paul 3 -2

This is a bad poll for Trump.
    http://www.bostonherald.com/news/us_politics/2015/12/nh_poll_foes_gain_on_donald_trump_hillary_clinton_pulls_even

Opinion Savvy Florida, after debate, their last one was early September:

Trump 30 +1
    Cruz 20 +17
    Rubio 15 +9
    Bush 13 -6
    Carson 8 -17
    Christie 6 +4
    Paul 3 +3
    Fiorina 3 -2
    Kasich 1 -2

http://opinionsavvy.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/FL-GOP-PP-12.17.15.pdf

St.Pete Polls Florida, before debate, their last one was from July :

Trump 36 +10
    Cruz 22 +18
    Rubio 17 +7
    Bush 9 -11
    Carson 6 +1
    Christie 3 +3
    Kasich 2 -2
    Fiorina 1 +1
    Paul 1 -2

http://stpetepolls.org/files/StPetePolls_2015_StatePRI_REP_PRES_December_15_LU47.pdf

• Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    I'm not sure what point is being made by noting Dan Hodges writes for the DT and Speccy. He's a LINO? Are Labourites only allowed to work for the Morning Star?

• Options
    Speedy said:

A series of polls out, 4 actually, 2 from Florida one post one pre-debate, 1 from N.H mostly pre-debate, and one National conducted after the debate:

Trump 34 +8
    Cruz 18 +4
    Rubio 13 0
    Bush 7 +2
    Carson 6 -13
    Christie 5 +2
    Fiorina 4 0
    Huckabee 4 0
    Kasich 2 -1
    Paul 2 0

Funny fact, 30% of republicans want to bomb fictional Agrabah (from Aladdin) vs 13% who are against.

Trump 26 -2
    Cruz 12 +7
    Rubio 12 +6
    Christie 11 +8
    Bush 10 +1
    kasich 8 +2
    Carson 5 -11
    Fiorina 6 -4
    Paul 3 -2

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/us_politics/2015/12/nh_poll_foes_gain_on_donald_trump_hillary_clinton_pulls_even

Trump 30 +1
    Cruz 20 +17
    Rubio 15 +9
    Bush 13 -6
    Carson 8 -17
    Christie 6 +4
    Paul 3 +3
    Fiorina 3 -2
    Kasich 1 -2

Trump 36 +10
    Cruz 22 +18
    Rubio 17 +7
    Bush 9 -11
    Carson 6 +1
    Christie 3 +3
    Kasich 2 -2
    Fiorina 1 +1
    Paul 1 -2

http://stpetepolls.org/files/StPetePolls_2015_StatePRI_REP_PRES_December_15_LU47.pdf

Christie. NH. Just maybe? Coming a good 2nd here is going to be crucial to one of the non-trumpton people.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    Moses..it is the Labour way..
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838
    if they can be convinced that there is an alternative who offers a better prospect of victory at the distant General Election
    Almost any member of the PLP would offer a better prospect of victory than Corbyn. The problem is that none of them would be elected by the membership if Corbyn were standing.

I disagree about Hodges. I thought the piece you refer to was well argued.
  • Options

I'm not sure what point is being made by noting Dan Hodges writes for the DT and Speccy. He's a LINO? Are Labourites only allowed to work for the Morning Star?

Not even Labour anymore.
  • Options
    Right that's it. I'm off to face Black Friday.
  • Options
    For @Tim_B and @TimT
    When you’re flying on a commercial plane capable of carrying hundreds of passengers, you never know who’s going to be seated next to you. As passengers on a recent flight in the US found out, it could be a seatmate you’d least expect – but happily sit next to.

Those travellers received quite a surprise when a large German shepherd had its own seat in the cabin

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-3366003/German-shepherd-seated-plane-s-passenger-cabin-flight.html#ixzz3uhHoU9Q3
  • Options

There might be good people who supported Jezza for leader, but there not be many bright ones!

The excuse offered to me by the partner of one was that she didn't know much about politics (she is unquestionably bright).
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited December 2015
    Good article. As much as it might comfort some people to create this straw-man of all Corbyn voters being furious Momentum-ists, the reality is that a great number of people who voted Corbyn see themselves as pretty moderate and pragmatic, and WOULD potentially be open to a more moderate leadership if they could convince that there was enough rock-solid principles to make the whole thing worthwhile, even if there would have to be some compromises along the way.

Instead of constantly grumbling to the press, the PLP should be asking themselves why so many of these moderate, pragmatic, soft left members felt that Corbyn was closer to them than were the 3 "ancien regime" candidates in the leadership contest.
  • Options
    KingaKinga Posts: 59
    "Corbyn won a democratic election and he needs to be given the space to do his job."

Whereas the Tories (scum) won a democratic election and need to be prevented from doing theirs by an unelected House of Lords, presumably?

"Which is not to deny that there is anything other than a deep sense of gloom amongst the majority of Labour MPs who believe, notwithstanding the victory in Oldham, that Corbyn is unelectable and that the party faces disaster in 2020"

Not according to John McDonnell on PM. Onwards to victory, comrades!!
  • Options

Speedy said:

Trump 34 +8
    Cruz 18 +4
    Rubio 13 0
    Bush 7 +2
    Carson 6 -13
    Christie 5 +2
    Fiorina 4 0
    Huckabee 4 0
    Kasich 2 -1
    Paul 2 0

Trump 26 -2
    Cruz 12 +7
    Rubio 12 +6
    Christie 11 +8
    Bush 10 +1
    kasich 8 +2
    Carson 5 -11
    Fiorina 6 -4
    Paul 3 -2

Trump 30 +1
    Cruz 20 +17
    Rubio 15 +9
    Bush 13 -6
    Carson 8 -17
    Christie 6 +4
    Paul 3 +3
    Fiorina 3 -2
    Kasich 1 -2

Trump 36 +10
    Cruz 22 +18
    Rubio 17 +7
    Bush 9 -11
    Carson 6 +1
    Christie 3 +3
    Kasich 2 -2
    Fiorina 1 +1
    Paul 1 -2

Christie. NH. Just maybe? Coming a good 2nd here is going to be crucial to one of the non-trumpton people.
    Not really, if you have been paying attention Christie went up in N.H. after the multiple endorsements from local newspapers, however no person who supported Obama in 2012 or has currently such a terribly bad record of governance (especially with finances and pensions) and unpopularity is going to win the republican nomination.
  • Options
    What's Labour's position on the EU ref at the mo? I got lost when it came up a few weeks ago, Corbyn wants out because of how the Greeks were treated, but conference wants in?
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited December 2015
    Corbyn supporters are a broad church….

Indeed, the whole gamut from Jurassic to Cretaceous period….
  • Options
    It reminds me of Major saying Of Course We Can Win in 1997, but then he was PM and knew he didn't have a tinkers.
    Kinga said:

"Corbyn won a democratic election and he needs to be given the space to do his job."

Whereas the Tories (scum) won a democratic election and need to be prevented from doing theirs by an unelected House of Lords, presumably?

"Which is not to deny that there is anything other than a deep sense of gloom amongst the majority of Labour MPs who believe, notwithstanding the victory in Oldham, that Corbyn is unelectable and that the party faces disaster in 2020"

Not according to John McDonnell on PM. Onwards to victory, comrades!!

• Options
    :smiley:

Corbyn supporters are a broad church….

Indeed, the whole gamut from Jurassic to Cretaceous period….

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,334
    edited December 2015
    'Corbyn won a democratic election and he needs to be given the space to do his job.'

So did Cameron. Should he be given a free ride on everything he wants, including things not in his manifesto?

'It seemed self-evident that a Westminster coup that led to Corbyn being re-elected by the membership would make Labour’s hole even deeper.'

On the contrary, it would signal Labour are not a bunch of self-indulgent and rather sinister lunatics happy to carp from the fringes of politics (which ironically is what you accuse Hodges of doing) but are serious about getting into power and transforming the country.

'The “din” is also obscuring the fact that Corbyn’s frontbench teams are taking the fight to the Tories and winning arguments on the economy, health, housing, home affairs and climate change. Corbyn supporters and opponents from the leadership battle are working well together.'

Would it be too much to ask for any concrete examples? Because I must admit, although I have been very busy and may have missed something my impression is every single one of these issues has led to notable defeats for Labour. The only minor victory they could claim is tax credits - and the campaign against that was actually led by the Liberal Democrats, which gives you some idea of how effectual and relevant the Corbyn-led Labour party is.

'It’s an argument for taking the long view and for engagement. There’s a good word for claiming to be a progressive then walking away from a fight. It’s “spineless.”

Yes. And that is exactly what Labour is doing. Jeremy Corbyn has as much chance of making a positive, practical difference to the lives of the British people as I have of getting a date with Daisy Ridley, because he will never win an election and as a result gives the Conservatives more or less free rein to do what they like. If Labour really wish to fight, rather than posture with their usual disingenuous self-righteousness, they have to ditch a man who has spent much of his leadership career to date explaining his links to murderers, neo-Nazis and paedophiles in favour of somebody who might win an election. Of the 231 other Labour MPs, approximately 200 are more likely to do this than Corbyn.

Or to put it another way - I voted Labour in May. I didn't particularly rate the candidate (he was a fool) or the party (Miliband was as arrogant as Cameron and completely unselfaware, which is not in fairness one of Cameron's faults) but at least, unlike the Conservatives, he bothered to campaign. I will not vote Labour again until Corbyn is defenestrated and the lingering poison he leaves behind has been purged. If you wish to convince yourself otherwise, feel free, but you are merely destroying your political movement by hubris.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Good article. As much as it might comfort some people to create this straw-man of all Corbyn voters being furious Momentum-ists, the reality is that a great number of people who voted Corbyn see themselves as pretty moderate and pragmatic, and WOULD potentially be open to a more moderate leadership if they could convince that there was enough rock-solid principles to make the whole thing worthwhile, even if there would have to be some compromises along the way.

Instead of constantly grumbling to the press, the PLP should be asking themselves why so many of these moderate, pragmatic, soft left members felt that Corbyn was closer to them than were the 3 "ancien regime" candidates in the leadership contest.

Well, why indeed?

Let's be honest, Corbyn is neither moderate nor pragmatic and would probably be insulted to be called either. Why would moderate and pragmatic members vote for him in preference to Cooper who, while dull, really is moderate and pragmatic herself?
  • Options

I suppose the insinuation is that he's taken the Devil's shilling, doesn't believe a word he writes but is set on destroying the Labour Party at the behest of his Tory paymasters.
  • Options
    You missed grannie defraudsters, police impersonators and terrorist funders

I mean, who would let a little thing that like worry them?
    ydoethur said:

'Corbyn won a democratic election and he needs to be given the space to do his job.'

So did Cameron. Should he be given a free ride on everything he wants, including things not in his manifesto?

'It seemed self-evident that a Westminster coup that led to Corbyn being re-elected by the membership would make Labour’s hole even deeper.'

On the contrary, it would signal Labour are not a bunch of self-indulgent and rather sinister lunatics happy to carp from the fringes of politics (which ironically is what you accuse Hodges of doing) but are serious about getting into power and transforming the country.

'The “din” is also obscuring the fact that Corbyn’s frontbench teams are taking the fight to the Tories and winning arguments on the economy, health, housing, home affairs and climate change. Corbyn supporters and opponents from the leadership battle are working well together.'

Would it be too much to ask for any concrete examples? Because I must admit, although I have been very busy and may have missed something my impression is every single one of these issues has led to notable defeats for Labour. The only minor victory they could claim is tax credits - and the campaign against that was actually led by the Liberal Democrats, which gives you some idea of how effectual and relevant the Corbyn-led Labour party is.

'It’s an argument for taking the long view and for engagement. There’s a good word for claiming to be a progressive then walking away from a fight. It’s “spineless.”

Yes. And that is exactly what Labour is doing. Jeremy Corbyn has as much chance of making a positive, practical difference to the lives of the British people as I have of getting a date with Daisy Ridley, because he will never win an election and as a result gives the Conservatives more or less free rein to do what they like. If Labour really wish to fight, rather than posture with their usual disingenuous self-righteousness, they have to ditch a man who has spent much of his leadership career to date explaining his links to murderers, neo-Nazis and paedophiles in favour of somebody who might win an election. Of the 231 other Labour MPs, approximately 200 are more likely to do this than Corbyn.

Or to put it another way - I voted Labour in May. I didn't particularly rate the candidate (he was a fool) or the party (Miliband was as arrogant as Cameron and completely unselfaware, which is not in fairness one of Cameron's faults) but at least, unlike the Conservatives, he bothered to campaign. I will not vote Labour again until Corbyn is defenestrated and the lingering poison he leaves behind has been purged. If you wish to convince yourself otherwise, feel free, but you are merely destroying your political movement by hubris.

• Options

I didn't think he'd bothered to try and explain those!
  • Options
    I agree with Don Brind that engagement with members is better than treating them as an alien species. The thesis of many Labour rightwingers seems to be that 200,000 Trots descended on the party en masse between May and September. This seems implausible to me. Much more likely, the party membership (and new joiners) have fallen behind the one candidate who articulated a positive vision of what Labour should stand for in austerity Britain.

If others feel that Jeremy Corbyn is spouting nonsense and is unelectable, they need to come up with a positive vision of their own and then take it to the membership.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    It's a pity Dan is a Remainer. He has just the dirty tricks talent Leave needs to get some message discipline. His work on No2AV was pretty effective.

I suppose the insinuation is that he's taken the Devil's shilling, doesn't believe a word he writes but is set on destroying the Labour Party at the behest of his Tory paymasters.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited December 2015
    Wanderer said:

Danny565 said:

Well, why indeed?

Let's be honest, Corbyn is neither moderate nor pragmatic and would probably be insulted to be called either. Why would moderate and pragmatic members vote for him in preference to Cooper who, while dull, really is moderate and pragmatic herself?
    Because a lot of Labour members thought she was not offering any rock-solid principles, that she was just about getting into power for its own sake, but not doing anything differently to the Tories once she was there.

The most fateful decision of the leadership contest was in that first week when Yvette and Andy Burnham followed Kendall down the ultra-Blairite rabbit hole (especially Burnham who had previously built up quite a lot of credit with the "soft left" mainstream in the membership). It didn't actually matter how many leftish-sounding policies the two of them put out after that, the members had stopped trusting them because of what they did in those first few days.
  • Options
    It's the Spanish GE on Sunday. No polls are allowed in the last week. One pollster is getting round this by reporting on the price of fruit and veg in Andorra!!

https://twitter.com/elperiodico/status/677840365647474688

PP is water, strawberries are PSOE, Podemos are aubegines and Ciudadanos are oranges!!!!

If the poll is correct. Podemos has surged over recent days and C's has fallen back. It's possible - current PM Rajoy was caught on video the other day telling Angela Merkel Podemos could finish second and private PP polling is said to have PSOE and Podemos battling it out for second place. C's leader, meanwhile, has said his party will abstain in the Parliamentary vote post-GE to choose the new PM. Whatever happens, Spain looks set for a period of instability.
  • Options

I agree with Don Brind that engagement with members is better than treating them as an alien species. The thesis of many Labour rightwingers seems to be that 200,000 Trots descended on the party en masse between May and September. This seems implausible to me. Much more likely, the party membership (and new joiners) have fallen behind the one candidate who articulated a positive vision of what Labour should stand for in austerity Britain.

If others feel that Jeremy Corbyn is spouting nonsense and is unelectable, they need to come up with a positive vision of their own and then take it to the membership.

This is of course true. However, the mere fact that his message was in some way 'positive' doesn't alter the fact that (1) it is not workable (Mao Zedong may be John Mcdonnell's hero, but there is no blinking at the fact that all his policies were catastrophic failures) and (2) there is more than a slight problem with the messenger. Perhaps if this were put forward by Jon Trickett people would be willing to consider it. But Jeremy Corbyn? Forget it!
  • Options
    He said he didn't know all about those charges. Well why he was writing to support this chappy seems rather flawed.

It's just a variant of I Don't Know Him, Oh You Mean That Man I Campaigned With
    ydoethur said:

I didn't think he'd bothered to try and explain those!
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,052

It's the Spanish GE on Sunday. No polls are allowed in the last week. One pollster is getting round this by reporting on the price of fruit and veg in Andorra!!

PP is water, strawberries are PSOE, Podemos are aubegines and Ciudadanos are oranges!!!!

If the poll is correct. Podemos has surged over recent days and C's has fallen back. It's possible - current PM Rajoy was caught on video the other day telling Angela Merkel Podemos could finish second and private PP polling is said to have PSOE and Podemos battling it out for second place. C's leader, meanwhile, has said his party will abstain in the Parliamentary vote post-GE to choose the new PM. Whatever happens, Spain looks set for a period of instability.

We'll see.

I think PP and Cs will comfortably beat the 175 mark, meaning you need to have at least one of them in your coalition, and that the only stable outcome is PP + C.

PSOE + Cs would probably be quite well received by the market (especially as it would likely close down the Catalonia issue), but won't get 175.

And Cs and PP will vote down any government with Podemos in it.

Therefore the most likely outcome - whatever C currently says - is a PP + C coalition.

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,896
    Moses_ said:

I see Corbyn pointing out mines started closing 30 years ago under Thatcher. No mention of. Wilson doing it with twice as many in half the time.

Plenty of mines closed under Attlee.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    That reminds me of the Egyptian elections - http://www.theguardian.com/world/2011/nov/27/egypt-elections-party-symbols

ttps://twitter.com/elperiodico/status/677840365647474688

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

We'll see.

I think PP and Cs will comfortably beat the 175 mark, meaning you need to have at least one of them in your coalition, and that the only stable outcome is PP + C.

PSOE + Cs would probably be quite well received by the market (especially as it would likely close down the Catalonia issue), but won't get 175.

Therefore the most likely outcome - whatever C currently says - is a PP + C coalition.

As an aside it's worth remembering that Podemos will be slightly f*cked by the PR system used in Spain. There are lots of rural multimember seats with just three MPs. Citizens doesn't score much there (5-10%), but Podemos is getting 18-22%, and is coming in third with less half the vote share of the PP.

The consequence is there are likely to be lots of rural constituencies which give 2 PP MPs, and 1 PSOE, with Podemos votes effectively being lost.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

i think the die is pretty much cast, now. The voters have formed their impression of Corbyn, and it's a poor one.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    For those of us clueless about the various acronyms - what are the Parties in terms of left/right whatever

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

We'll see.

The C's might do a LD and get squeezed, after all if you support Rajoy why vote for C's, the same if you oppose Rajoy.
  • Options

For those of us clueless about the various acronyms - what are the Parties in terms of left/right whatever

PP standard Tory, C's standard LD, PSOE standard New Labour, Podemos standard Corbyn.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

rcs1000 said:

We'll see.

The C's might do a LD and get squeezed, after all if you support Rajoy why vote for C's, the same if you oppose Rajoy.
    I think that they have seen what happened here and will most likely go for their equivalent of confidence and supply.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

You should not be writing posts like that..... You should be writing thread headers.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Wanderer said:

Danny565 said:

Well, why indeed?

Because a lot of Labour members thought she was not offering any rock-solid principles, that she was just about getting into power for its own sake, but not doing anything differently to the Tories once she was there.

The most fateful decision of the leadership contest was in that first week when Yvette and Andy Burnham followed Kendall down the ultra-Blairite rabbit hole (especially Burnham who had previously built up quite a lot of credit with the "soft left" mainstream in the membership). It didn't actually matter how many leftish-sounding policies the two of them put out after that, the members had stopped trusting them because of what they did in those first few days.
    Does that not suggest that the membership almost wanted to find grounds for distrusting the mainstream candidates? After all, Cooper and Burnham had years of frontbench service. There's no need to judge such people on a few days of a campaign unless one wants a reason to reject them?

Btw, I don't think there has ever been a Labour government that was not markedly different from any likely Tory one. But there's this anxiety that the movement will become what it is meant to oppose.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    "Thousands riot in small Dutch town over plan for asylum-seeker centre

More than 2,000 residents of the small town of Geldermalsen take to the streets tearing down fences and chanting anti-immigrant slogans"

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/dec/17/thousands-riot-in-small-dutch-town-over-plan-for-asylum-seeker-centre
  • Options
    Thanx
    Speedy said:

PP standard Tory, C's standard LD, PSOE standard New Labour, Podemos standard Corbyn.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

"Thousands riot in small Dutch town over plan for asylum-seeker centre

More than 2,000 residents of the small town of Geldermalsen take to the streets tearing down fences and chanting anti-immigrant slogans"

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/dec/17/thousands-riot-in-small-dutch-town-over-plan-for-asylum-seeker-centre

It's still small, but if it goes nationwide someone will notice how prescient "The rivers of blood" speech was by Enoch Powell.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985

What's the point banning them if you allow for such obvious violations of the law.
  • Options
    TBH, I think anyone would be disillusioned by the lacklustre leadership campaigns from Andy and Yvette. Given Burnham was the run away favourite - he was just exposed as a spineless weathercock and she didn't seem to want the job until it was out of reach.

She was crap as a SoS and crap as a ShCab minister. Burnham wasn't much better but at least he seemed genial. Now we know he's got nothing about him at all.
    Wanderer said:

Danny565 said:

Wanderer said:

Danny565 said:

Well, why indeed?

Does that not suggest that the membership almost wanted to find grounds for distrusting the mainstream candidates? After all, Cooper and Burnham had years of frontbench service. There's no need to judge such people on a few days of a campaign unless one wants a reason to reject them?

Btw, I don't think there has ever been a Labour government that was not markedly different from any likely Tory one. But there's this anxiety that the movement will become what it is meant to oppose.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,997
    My working hypothesis is the same as DB's - namely that the new Labour members (and existing members) who voted for Corbyn are not SWP entryists, but Labour supporters who were very disappointed in the other three candidates and admired Corbyn's clarity, distinctiveness and style.

It doesn't mean they supported all his policies. Even less does it mean they want to subvert the Labour Party onto a far left agenda.

I believe many of them would support a potential leader who provides a convincing and uplifting left wing alternative to the familiar Tory story.

I continue in my belief that Corbyn will step down of his own accord and recommend his successor (who won't be McDonnell who I think Corbyn recognises is flawed as a potential Labour leader even if he is a good friend). Benn and Nandy are my current best guesses. Benn has the oratory and the name. Nandy has the values and political nous.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,883
    Evening all :)

Thank you to Don for another interesting piece from a different and welcome perspective. From a non-Labour (and non-Conservative) perspective, the May 2015 GE defeat was the culmination of a process of confusion which had begun (arguably) before 2010. The Mandelson/Campbell project had reached its conclusion and there seemed no answer to the question "where do we go from here ?" just as the Conservatives had no conception of a post-Thatcher future in 1990.

Corbyn's victory was, to my way of thinking, an attempt to re-define Labour away from a managerially more competent version of the Conservatives toward something distinctive which articulated the anger felt toward the Conservatives (traditional) and wasn't prepared to compromise to it (unlike the Lib Dems and some of the Blairites).

There's nothing wrong with "distinctive" but sudden shifts in public policy don't sit well with the British people generally. Thatcher succeeded in 1979 because it seemed clear Butskellism had failed. It will take another crisis of that magnitude with the attendant discrediting of pseudo-austerity before people look at an alternative prospectus.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

What's Labour's position on the EU ref at the mo? I got lost when it came up a few weeks ago, Corbyn wants out because of how the Greeks were treated, but conference wants in?

Corbyn and the party have signed up to Remain, with all the Shadow cabinet agreeing. There will be a handful of backbench rebels.

They will not back Camerons renegotiation though. They like the Social Chapter.
  • Options

TBH, I think anyone would be disillusioned by the lacklustre leadership campaigns from Andy and Yvette. Given Burnham was the run away favourite - he was just exposed as a spineless weathercock and she didn't seem to want the job until it was out of reach.

She was crap as a SoS and crap as a ShCab minister. Burnham wasn't much better but at least he seemed genial. Now we know he's got nothing about him at all.

Wanderer said:

Danny565 said:

Wanderer said:

Danny565 said:

Well, why indeed?

Oh, they weren't very good candidates for sure. I still find it more than strange that otherwise "moderate" people would then push the button marked "Corbyn" though.

Oh well, it's happened. Labour is over. Life goes on.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,975
    I like this article because it supports my betting positions :)
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

Virtually everyone in the Labour Party wants IN. The EU has done more for workers rights in the past 20 years than our Parliament will ever do.
  • Options
    Surbiton.. tell that to the massive army of unemployed youth right across Europe...to enjoy workers rights it is essential to have a job.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

I agree that the members have got the leader they want and that is as much an indictment of their agenda as that of the dangerous terrorist-sympathising idiot they have elected. I seem to recall something about not being able to touch pitch without....
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    Speedy said:

rcs1000 said:

We'll see.

The majority of the polls suggest a PP/Cs Coalition - anything else could well cause mayhem not only in Spain but in the wider EU.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

rcs1000 said:

We'll see.

Cs exist because:

(a) the PP has been rocked by corruption scandals
    (b) the PP has taken a very hard-line with Catalonia and therefore seen its support there collapse

They are not the LibDems. They are a centre right, not a centre left party. They are Cameroons, but Euroenthusiasts rather than Eurosceptics.
  • Options
    felix said:

Speedy said:

rcs1000 said:

We'll see.

The majority of the polls suggest a PP/Cs Coalition - anything else could well cause mayhem not only in Spain but in the wider EU.
    The Cs vote is very concentrated in urban areas which means they should get better voted -> seats than Podemos.
  • Options

Surbiton.. tell that to the massive army of unemployed youth right across Europe...to enjoy workers rights it is essential to have a job.

You might find this interesting: http://www.thstailwinds.com/the-labour-market-labyrinth/
  • Options
    stodge said:

Evening all :)

Thank you to Don for another interesting piece from a different and welcome perspective. From a non-Labour (and non-Conservative) perspective, the May 2015 GE defeat was the culmination of a process of confusion which had begun (arguably) before 2010. The Mandelson/Campbell project had reached its conclusion and there seemed no answer to the question "where do we go from here ?" just as the Conservatives had no conception of a post-Thatcher future in 1990.

Corbyn's victory was, to my way of thinking, an attempt to re-define Labour away from a managerially more competent version of the Conservatives toward something distinctive which articulated the anger felt toward the Conservatives (traditional) and wasn't prepared to compromise to it (unlike the Lib Dems and some of the Blairites).

There's nothing wrong with "distinctive" but sudden shifts in public policy don't sit well with the British people generally. Thatcher succeeded in 1979 because it seemed clear Butskellism had failed. It will take another crisis of that magnitude with the attendant discrediting of pseudo-austerity before people look at an alternative prospectus.

I don't think Labour's main problem is economic. It's main problem is that loads of voters think it's led by people who hate their own country.
  • Options
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/david-cameron/12058658/Imagine-if-David-Cameron-were-like-Vladimir-Putin....html
    “Let’s have one from the BBC’s new political editor,” said Mr Cameron.

“Thank you, Prime Minister,” said George Osborne. “Mr Cameron: how easily could you beat up Isil?”

“Excellent question,” said Mr Cameron. “Let me be clear. Isil are a load of wimps who have never kissed a girl. I, by contrast, have kissed many girls. I am also very strong.”
  • Options
    rcs1000 Thanks for that.. I tend to rely on my visual experience...seeing crowds of young Italians gathering in Piazzas, having a chat, sharing a cigarette..not many having a drink or a coffee..and those numbers are growing all the time..They do not have workers rights..they have no work..
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    FPT [quote]Morris_Dancer said:
    Mr. Die, utterly different situation. Power flows to Brussels, not away. The reverse is true of devolution.[/quote]

Nonsense. The EU parliament has a polis of 503 million, the UK only 64 million, therefore it has more legitimacy and a greater mandate.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited December 2015
    POLL ALERT

Thirty percent of Republican primary voters say the national security threat posed by the nation of Agrabah demands U.S. military intervention, according to a new poll released on Thursday.

Public Policy Polling, a left-leaning firm, also found that supporters of GOP presidential front-runner Donald Trump were more likely to favor bombing the made-up Arabian nation from the 1992 animated film "Aladdin."

Trump won 45 percent support among those who advocated the bombing of Agrabah, compared to just 22 percent support from those who opposed it.

Thirteen percent of Republicans said they opposed bombing the country.

A plurality of Democrats, 36 percent, also opposed the measure, compared to 19 percent who said they support it.

http://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/in-the-know/263713-poll-30-percent-of-republicans-want-to-bomb-country-from
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

My working hypothesis is the same as DB's - namely that the new Labour members (and existing members) who voted for Corbyn are not SWP entryists, but Labour supporters who were very disappointed in the other three candidates and admired Corbyn's clarity, distinctiveness and style.

It doesn't mean they supported all his policies. Even less does it mean they want to subvert the Labour Party onto a far left agenda.

I believe many of them would support a potential leader who provides a convincing and uplifting left wing alternative to the familiar Tory story.

I continue in my belief that Corbyn will step down of his own accord and recommend his successor (who won't be McDonnell who I think Corbyn recognises is flawed as a potential Labour leader even if he is a good friend). Benn and Nandy are my current best guesses. Benn has the oratory and the name. Nandy has the values and political nous.

That is mostly my description, when it started I preferred Graham Allen out of protest for the poor quality of the candidates talked about, but he didn't run.
    Then I was a very grudging supporter of Yvette and ended up with Corbyn because all the others were cr@p with their campaign.

However I disagree about Corbyn's succession, I think he will stay the full 5 years in order to make the PLP as much left wing as he can in order to assure that there is a left wing leadership candidate and not a coronation.
    Equally no one who has come out already as an underminer of Corbyn's leadership can ever win the contest for the leadership, and neither anyone who lost to Corbyn in 2015.

It's too early to say who will be Corbyn's successor, if or when he steps down, but we know who to cross off the list.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,883
    Sean_F said:

I don't think Labour's main problem is economic. It's main problem is that loads of voters think it's led by people who hate their own country.

We had this nasty undercurrent in the 1980s that somehow you could only be patriotic if you were a Conservative - it was unpleasant then and it's similar now (even if it now includes UKIP).

I was also referring more to the Labour membership (ancient and modern so to speak). Corbyn was the only candidate offering an answer to the question "what is the point of Labour ?" which didn't involve wholesale surrender to the policies of Cameron/Osborne.
  • Options
    Pong said:

POLL ALERT

Thirty percent of Republican primary voters say the national security threat posed by the nation of Agrabah demands U.S. military intervention, according to a new poll released on Thursday.

Public Policy Polling, a left-leaning firm, also found that supporters of GOP presidential front-runner Donald Trump were more likely to favor bombing the made-up Arabian nation from the 1992 animated film "Aladdin."

Trump won 45 percent support among those who advocated the bombing of Agrabah, compared to just 22 percent support from those who opposed it.

A plurality of Democrats, 36 percent, also opposed the measure, compared to 19 percent who said they support it.

http://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/in-the-know/263713-poll-30-percent-of-republicans-want-to-bomb-country-from

Too late, I posted that at the begging of this thread, and at the end of the last thread.
    But it proves that americans (mostly republicans) are true to their stereotype of Yosemite Sam.

Which is worrying if stereotypes are accurate, since the american stereotype (and I think the world stereotype judging by Hollywood movies) of an average brit is a gay villain.
  • Options
    felix said:

Speedy said:

rcs1000 said:

We'll see.

It's very hard to imagine how anything else could work, from a straight numerical point of view,

There's a substantial minority of seats that will go to nationalists in Catalonia and the Basque country - perhaps 8-10% of the total number.

So, you basically have a situation where 35% of the seats are PP, 17% are Citizens. 25% are PSOE and 17% Podemos. Podemos + PSOE is well short of the 50% mark, and could only get there if they got support from all the nationalist groups and (effectively) Citizens chose to abstain.

But Citizens is the anti-Podemos. They would vote down any government with Podemos in it.

Ultimately, the two centre right parties will have 50-55% of the seats. Whatever they might say, that is the only theoretical governing group.

(Unless PSOE does sufficiently well that PSOE + Cs can get get 45%, then you might have the nationalists abstain on the basis that they'd rather have PSOE + Cs, on the basis that there would be more concessions that way. But Podemos's rise seems mostly at the expense of the PSOE, which makes a PSOE - Podemos coalition unlikely.)
  • Options

rcs1000 Thanks for that.. I tend to rely on my visual experience...seeing crowds of young Italians gathering in Piazzas, having a chat, sharing a cigarette..not many having a drink or a coffee..and those numbers are growing all the time..They do not have workers rights..they have no work..

Italy has a lot of problems. It's had by far the worst record of economic growth from 1999 to 2015 of any Eurozone country.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Sean_F said:

We had this nasty undercurrent in the 1980s that somehow you could only be patriotic if you were a Conservative - it was unpleasant then and it's similar now (even if it now includes UKIP).

I was also referring more to the Labour membership (ancient and modern so to speak). Corbyn was the only candidate offering an answer to the question "what is the point of Labour ?" which didn't involve wholesale surrender to the policies of Cameron/Osborne.
    Whether that's fair or not (and McDonnell's record is a pretty obnoxious one) I think that's how a lot of swing voters now see them.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Sean_F said:

Indeed it would be outrageous to say that only Conservatives were patriotic. There are millions of patriotic Labour supporters. Unfortunately Corbyn, McDonnell and Milne are not among them.
  • Options
    rcs1000..Which makes Surbitons post look foolish..To have and enjoy workers rights...it is essential to have work..the EU has singularly failed this section of the EU population..
  • Options

rcs1000..Which makes Surbitons post look foolish..To have and enjoy workers rights...it is essential to have work..the EU has singularly failed this section of the EU population..

Being in the EU has led to the highest British employment rate ever.

• Options
    FXK Really.. how do you arrive at that figure..
  • Options

The Eurozone has transferred jobs from countries with inflexible labour markets (Italy, France) to those with flexible labour markets (Germany, the Netherlands, Austria, and Ireland). In the old days you could get away with inflexible labour markets because you could devalue away your problems.

Spain has learned this lesson (at least until Sunday :lol:): under Rajoy it is has liberalised its labour market. In Italy, Renzi talks a good game, but little has actually happened yet.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Brendan defends Corbyn. Sort of.
    10) They’re helping Corbyn

This is the most unforgivable thing: they’re so dumb that they don’t realise it is precisely the soul-zappingly dull Third Way politics that they cherish which has helped to build up Corbyn’s support base. All they have to offer is technocratic, principle-free blather about electability, as if politics were a personality contest, and then they wonder why young people and a large number of Labourites are drawn to Corbyn. Look in a mirror, guys. In the land of the bland, the ever-so-slightly principled politician can become king.
    http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2015/12/10-reasons-why-corbyns-critics-are-the-worst-people-in-british-politics-right-now/
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,975

Blimey, I hope you don't use that sort of 'causation' argument in your work !
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

felix said:

Speedy said:

rcs1000 said:

It's very hard to imagine how anything else could work, from a straight numerical point of view,

There's a substantial minority of seats that will go to nationalists in Catalonia and the Basque country - perhaps 8-10% of the total number.

So, you basically have a situation where 35% of the seats are PP, 17% are Citizens. 25% are PSOE and 17% Podemos. Podemos + PSOE is well short of the 50% mark, and could only get there if they got support from all the nationalist groups and (effectively) Citizens chose to abstain.

But Citizens is the anti-Podemos. They would vote down any government with Podemos in it.

Ultimately, the two centre right parties will have 50-55% of the seats. Whatever they might say, that is the only theoretical governing group.

(Unless PSOE does sufficiently well that PSOE + Cs can get get 45%, then you might have the nationalists abstain on the basis that they'd rather have PSOE + Cs, on the basis that there would be more concessions that way. But Podemos's rise seems mostly at the expense of the PSOE, which makes a PSOE - Podemos coalition unlikely.)
    Since this is basically the Rajoy continuity scenario, what about the one that polls suggest?
    The one that suggests there will be a need for 3 major parties to form any coalition, instead of 2?

Anyway so far the polls suggest a normal election campaign with the centre squeezed by the right and the left, as the PP is squeezing the C's and Podemos is squeezing the PSOE.
    Bare in mind that Spain uses the D'Hond method for seat allocations, which mean that the barrier for a party to gain lots of seats is around 15%, and C's are already falling close to that level.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    Freggles said:

Mr. Die, utterly different situation. Power flows to Brussels, not away. The reverse is true of devolution.

Nonsense. The EU parliament has a polis of 503 million, the UK only 64 million, therefore it has more legitimacy and a greater mandate.
    To say the EU Parliament has more legitimacy than the UK Parliament is laughable.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,390
    edited December 2015
    stodge said:

Sean_F said:

He was seeing the question in too dramatic terms. The nation is centre-left or centre-right. It is nuances, likeability, go-for-a-pint-ability that wins elections.

Plus of course a slightly smaller or larger state, slightly more or less redistribution, a slightly larger or smaller role for the private sector.

Not only is Jezza fighting the wrong battle, he is fighting a battle that (for him) was lost 30 years ago.

It is fine for a Labour Party to be marginally left of centre (especially given how far left the Cons have tacked). But Labour Party "purists" fear that; they want the electorate to be flag-waving statist, social justice warriors. Whereas most are just trying to get on in a sensible social environment.

That's where Jezza, John Mac, Diane and Ken are getting it wrong.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Blimey, I hope you don't use that sort of 'causation' argument in your work !
    Correlation is not causation of course, but we now have our highest employment rate ever, after 40 years of the EU.

Clearly EU membership is not incompatible with a high employment rate!

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,360
    Oh please.

The underlying premise of this thread header is that Corbyn is a reasonable guy with whom it is possible to have disagreements and then work together in a constructive way.

This is deeply, irresponsibly and dangerously deluded. Corbyn and his coterie are not nice guys. They have had one criteria for the groups that they support over the last 30 years: that they are hostile to the country that they hold in contempt, whose values they abhor and success they denigrate. That country is of course their own with the USA getting many honourable mentions.

Provided that criteria was met they got Corbyn's support no matter how evil, bigoted, misogynist, homophobic or just downright murderously evil they were. The Labour party should be ashamed of having such moral incompetents in charge of it. Pretending that this solution to this calamity is the well tried belief that it will somehow be alright on the night is irrational bordering on stupid.

Apart from that excellent thread header.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Italy has a lot of problems. It's had by far the worst record of economic growth from 1999 to 2015 of any Eurozone country.
    I don't think the Italian economy has actually grown, on a per capita basis, taking those 16 years as a whole, which is extraordinary.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Since this is basically the Rajoy continuity scenario, what about the one that polls suggest?
    The one that suggests there will be a need for 3 major parties to form any coalition, instead of 2?

Anyway so far the polls suggest a normal election campaign with the centre squeezed by the right and the left, as the PP is squeezing the C's and Podemos is squeezing the PSOE.
    Bare in mind that Spain uses the D'Hond method for seat allocations, which mean that the barrier for a party to gain lots of seats is around 15%, and C's are already falling close to that level.

Spain is a multimember PR system, with large urban blocks, and small rural ones.

Of the three member rural constituencies, a large number will go 2 PP, 1 PSOE (and in a few cases Podemos). Because the PP is so strong in rural Spain, at a 28% vote share, it will end up with 35% of the seats.

A 10% vote share that's concentrated heavily in urban areas will give you a decent number of seats. A 10% vote share that's distributed equally around the country will not lead to lots of seats.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Freggles said:

Mr. Die, utterly different situation. Power flows to Brussels, not away. The reverse is true of devolution.

To say the EU Parliament has more legitimacy than the UK Parliament is laughable.
    *whoosh*
  • Options
    The EU Parliament..I always thought the EU was a collaboration between 28 independent Parliaments...Did something happen over the weekend..
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

For @Tim_B and @TimT

When you’re flying on a commercial plane capable of carrying hundreds of passengers, you never know who’s going to be seated next to you. As passengers on a recent flight in the US found out, it could be a seatmate you’d least expect – but happily sit next to.

Those travellers received quite a surprise when a large German shepherd had its own seat in the cabin

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-3366003/German-shepherd-seated-plane-s-passenger-cabin-flight.html#ixzz3uhHoU9Q3
    And a bulkhead seat at that (not that I like bulkhead seats, but others seem to).

Not sure how Aoife would do. Our shepherds nearly all seem to have ear issues ...

BTW, following Zopher's loss to cancer this summer, we have a new addition to the family which is quite ridiculous - a shorty black and tan Jack Russell, known in the States as an Irish Hunt Terrier. Only 20 weeks old and ridiculous in every way. Latches on to Aoife's scruff, lip, ear or tail and won't let go, but she walks around almost as if he doesn't have his teeth sunk into her. Occasionally, she picks him up by putting his whole head in her mouth and carting him around thus. Bernie, short for Bernoulli, as his legs are so short he has to fly over the grass.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,796
    Billy Bragg! Mastermind specialist subject!

We'll have Clegg next.

Is it really the case that if you're noisy and wrong for 30 years you'll be accepted, and possibly embraced.

Corbyn, McDonnell, Abbott, Livingstone, Bragg (Billy), ,,,Forsyth (bruce)...

The next thing will be idiots of the obvious class being allowed out.

Sorry we've done that. He built some aircraft carriers I believe.

• Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    edited December 2015
    Don Brind is correct the Labour party is indeed a broad church, as are all the main political parties.

The problem for Labour is the Jezzbollah sect have the party by the cassocks and the wider voting public are simply not going to light the fire for white smoke to billow from the 10 Downing Street chimney in favour of electing red Cardinal Corbyn.

The harsh reality is that the Conservatives are presently the only game in town and their electoral hegemony looks set to run for the medium term and certainly until Labour is rid of its' turbulent priest at the top.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Speedy said:

Spain is a multimember PR system, with large urban blocks, and small rural ones.

Of the three member rural constituencies, a large number will go 2 PP, 1 PSOE (and in a few cases Podemos). Because the PP is so strong in rural Spain, at a 28% vote share, it will end up with 35% of the seats.

A 10% vote share that's concentrated heavily in urban areas will give you a decent number of seats. A 10% vote share that's distributed equally around the country will not lead to lots of seats.
    It's interesting how the areas of strength and weakness for Right and Left (and nationalists) haven't altered much since 1933.
  • Options
    http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/crime/11-men-guilty-of-sexually-abusing-white-schoolgirl-in-keighley-1-7633460
    Speaking after the verdicts were returned, Judge Roger Thomas QC told the court that the defendants had treated the proceedings with “contempt and arrogance”.

He said: “Having watched you all over the course of the last seven weeks, I think I have a good understanding of your attitudes.

“In 40 years of practice, I have never seen a dock that has been as insolent and disrespectful as this one.

“I have the poorest of opinions about the defendants.”
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Pong said:

POLL ALERT

Too late, I posted that at the begging of this thread, and at the end of the last thread.
    But it proves that americans (mostly republicans) are true to their stereotype of Yosemite Sam.

Which is worrying if stereotypes are accurate, since the american stereotype (and I think the world stereotype judging by Hollywood movies) of an average brit is a gay villain.

Occasionally also the voice of Satan. But gay villain most often.
  • Options
    Just a little pointer re employment in the EU..My wife and myself are involved in an English Language Teaching school..In the new year we will be expanding the student teaching areas threefold..This is to accommodate the massive surge in young people and a few older ones ..who desperately want to learn English...in the majority of cases it is to facilitate a move from Europe to anywhere in the English speaking world..They don't seem to give a hoot for Surbitons Workers Rights..they just need a job..
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,360

Just a little pointer re employment in the EU..My wife and myself are involved in an English Language Teaching school..In the new year we will be expanding the student teaching areas threefold..This is to accommodate the massive surge in young people and a few older ones ..who desperately want to learn English...in the majority of cases it is to facilitate a move from Europe to anywhere in the English speaking world..They don't seem to give a hoot for Surbitons Workers Rights..they just need a job..

Over 200,000 new jobs in the last quarter alone. It really is incredible. That is roughly how many people actually work in Edinburgh. In 3 months. No wonder they are anxious to learn English.
  • Options
    I've always wondered how Aoife is pronounced...
    MTimT said:

For @Tim_B and @TimT

And a bulkhead seat at that (not that I like bulkhead seats, but others seem to).

Not sure how Aoife would do. Our shepherds nearly all seem to have ear issues ...

BTW, following Zopher's loss to cancer this summer, we have a new addition to the family which is quite ridiculous - a shorty black and tan Jack Russell, known in the States as an Irish Hunt Terrier. Only 20 weeks old and ridiculous in every way. Latches on to Aoife's scruff, lip, ear or tail and won't let go, but she walks around almost as if he doesn't have his teeth sunk into her. Occasionally, she picks him up by putting his whole head in her mouth and carting him around thus. Bernie, short for Bernoulli, as his legs are so short he has to fly over the grass.

• Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

Freggles said:

*whoosh*
    Deck the halls with boughs of holl - y

Tra la la la la, la la la la.

'Tis the season to be ...
  • Options
    JackW said:

Don Brind is correct the Labour party is indeed a broad church, as are all the main political parties.

The problem for Labour is the Jezzbollah sect have the party by the cassocks and the wider voting public are simply not going to light the fire for white smoke to billow from the 10 Downing Street chimney in favour of electing red Cardinal Corbyn.

The harsh reality is that the Conservatives are presently the only game in town and their electoral hegemony looks set to run for the medium term and certainly until Labour is rid of its' turbulent priest at the top.

You are correct. The corbyn sect is a broad church which reembraces Livingstone!
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    DavidL..The Italians love the UK..all of it ... but a lot of the students have their sights set further afield..these are the fortunate ones..the brighter and better educated ones..and it is a major loss to the EU and Italy in particular..they do not see the EU as being the great job creator that the likes of Surbiton claim it to be...and they have no time to waste until the EU sorts itself out...
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

What I would have said had I bothered to read Mr Brind's weekly PPB.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

JackW said:

You are correct. The corbyn sect is a broad church which reembraces Livingstone!
    Lord Ken Livingstone I presume ....

This discussion has been closed.