Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » This is not America

SystemSystem Posts: 11,705
edited December 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » This is not America

Every few days, a twitter account run by the Guardian called @thecounted tweets the cumulative total of deaths at the hands of the police.  The number is shocking.  As at 10 December, the total stood at 1061 for the calendar year 2015.  As often as not Guardian News retweets this information to its predominantly UK-based followers.  The impression given, presumably deliberately, is of a police for…

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Really enjoyed this piece
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    2nd?
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    I can't stand the lazy and often ignorant commentary comparing the US and here by UK journalists - I find it astonishing that so many assumptions and value judgments are made, with almost no appreciation of how different our cultures are.

Let's hope a few read this whole thread and up their game.
  • Options
    Good evening all!

I agree with Mike and Guido. Osborne definitely comes across as a bit weird, although more in a John Redwood way than an Ed Miliband way. The Tories will always win against a Corbyn led Labour party, but post-Corbyn Labour would be much more competitive with George as Tory leader. I could also see them getting rid of Corbyn faster as Osborne could easily become a Thatcher-style hate figure for the left, making them more intent on knocking him out of power.
  • Options
    City!
  • Options
    It's getting to a stage when a Premiership club failing to beat Chelsea is a crap result.
  • Options
    I'd claim a timezone disadvantage there.
    Tim_B said:

2nd?

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,049
    In short - because we are so subordinate to the Americans, we forget sometimes how different we might be to them.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,227

Really enjoyed this piece

Yes - a very good piece. Mr Meeks (though I still think of him as "Antifrank") is a very good commentator. Streets ahead of many in the dead tree press.

• Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    edited December 2015
    " In Britain the numbers are not quite as stark: the equivalent factoid is that the five richest families are as wealthy as the poorest 20% of the population combined. There’s still a very big difference, but nowhere near as great as in the US."

Counting this stuff is pretty complicated. Bearing in mind that a substantial % of British people have zero or negative financial net worth. even someone with just £1000 in their bank account is "wealthier" than a substantial percentage of the population combined!

But we often don't account as "wealth" things like the value of future state pension rights, or the discounted present value of the cash flow from someone's stream of benefits, or what their right to free NHS treatment is worth... which makes international comparisons about how wealthy we are very misleading, but also messes up "percentage of national wealth" wealth comparisons internally (since it muddies the issue of what a "true zero" for wealth would be).
  • Options
    This is a very interesting article by Alistair, and it's a point I hadn't thought of before. I wonder whether it's really because British people are following American data, or whether there's an Anglo-Saxon mindset that is distrustful of authority and makes the same judgment of how bad things are regardless of the actual facts. Either way, I find people in this country are far too keen to bemoan those above them and those beneath them. I wish people would accept that not everyone else is screwing them over, and that people at all income levels and backgrounds are just trying to get on.
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    At what stage does the market make it viable to start laying Leicester? I've been pondering that for weeks, think I'll keep my powder dry for now.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,719

It's getting to a stage when a Premiership club failing to beat Chelsea is a crap result.

They've got a relegation 6-pointer against the Mackems on Saturday. Come on Chelsea!
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,207
    16th. Like Chelsea.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,732
    edited December 2015

" In Britain the numbers are not quite as stark: the equivalent factoid is that the five richest families are as wealthy as the poorest 20% of the population combined. There’s still a very big difference, but nowhere near as great as in the US."

Counting this stuff is pretty complicated. Bearing in mind that a substantial % of British people have zero or negative financial net worth. even someone with just £1000 in their bank account is "wealthier" than a substantial percentage of the population combined!

But we often don't account as "wealth" things like the value of future state pension rights, or the discounted present value of the cash flow from someone's stream of benefits, or what their right to free NHS treatment is worth... which makes international comparisons about how wealthy we are very misleading, but also messes up "percentage of national wealth" wealth comparisons internally (since it muddies the issue of what a "true zero" for wealth would be).

Last paragraph +1.

I saw some figures highlighted by Tim Worstall today that pension and health rights accounted for perhaps more than total private wealth. USA figures :-).

Here:
    http://www.realdailybuzz.com/rdb.nsf/DocView?Open&UNID=44c18bf20ee25a5405257f1b000b20fc
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    I don't think the public perception is based on US reporting. I would not have believed that the top 1% own 23% of the UK wealth. I would have said less.

I would believe, rightly or wrongly, that the top 20% own 80%. To "prove" that about - if the 1st % owned 23% , the 2nd % owned 12%, say, the 3rd % 6% and so on - the top 20% could easily own 80%.

Of course, that means the bottom 1% [ 640,000 people ] own probably a carrier bag full of "stuff". Pathetic !
  • Options
    Sounds like bloody good job the plod got the Islamist nutter who has been found guilt today. He previously tried to go to Syria but was stopped, then within a few months was wanting to go round attacking people with a knife during Remembrance Day.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,602
    edited December 2015
    Looks there's a large ICM poll out tomorrow that has Leave winning.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CWOBIWQW4AEFegi.jpg
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    surbiton said:

I don't think the public perception is based on US reporting. I would not have believed that the top 1% own 23% of the UK wealth. I would have said less.

I would believe, rightly or wrongly, that the top 20% own 80%. To "prove" that about - if the 1st % owned 23% , the 2nd % owned 12%, say, the 3rd % 6% and so on - the top 20% could easily own 80%.

Of course, that means the bottom 1% [ 640,000 people ] own probably a carrier bag full of "stuff". Pathetic !

Alot of the population's wealth is probably less than zero.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited December 2015
    WTF....the plod are in trouble for shooting the gun totting criminals who tried to break out the gang members. IPPC have ordered one be suspended. Is Jahadi Jez working for the IPPC now?
  • Options
    What are the odds of Chelsea going down ?
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    edited December 2015
    MattW said:

Last paragraph +1.
    This is one of those things I'm always intending to read up more about, but somehow never manage to.

Tim Worstall frequently blogs about the issues in my penultimate paragraph, and in fairness about quite a lot of the issues in Alastair's header (e.g. the irrelevance of US statistics for the UK, poor reporting or reasoning about the scale of various issues). [EDIT: Hah! I replied before your edit to your post, I see you thought of Timmy too.]

But I can think of barely any blog/dead tree press coverage of the issues in my final paragraph - or at least, seriously quantitative coverage. (Though I'm aware that as a general rule, quantitative coverage of pretty much any issue in any field is often found wanting.) Perhaps this is relegated to academic discussion but that'd be a shame. It'd be nice to have at least some ball-park figures to play with.
  • Options
    IIRC it's automatic for a shooter. To allow for post incident trauma counseling and to cover their own arses just in case.

WTF....the plod are in trouble for shooting the gun totting criminals who tried to break out the gang members. IPPC have ordered one be suspended. Is Jahadi Jez working for the IPPC now?

• Options
    edited December 2015
    FFS the BBC soft soapy interview again with Shakar Amaar, without a single mention of his background or context. If that is all you heard, you would think he was just pottering down the road and next thing he knew was 14 years in prison.

This is a man who thinks the Taliban are great, who associated and called some well known Islamic extremists and terrorists as friends and rejects claims that they are either of those. To him, so of the most widely known dangerous Islamists are just misunderstood.
  • Options

IIRC it's automatic for a shooter. To allow for post incident trauma counseling and to cover their own arses just in case.

Yup.

Probably don't want them on duty anyway while they recover.
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474

Sounds like bloody good job the plod got the Islamist nutter who has been found guilt today. He previously tried to go to Syria but was stopped, then within a few months was wanting to go round attacking people with a knife during Remembrance Day.

No doubt Corbyn's planning on writing a letter, pleading for his release.
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108

There is really nothing that anyone can do to stop Brexit now. The press has painted such a ridiculous, biased portrait of the EU for so many years that it is deeply ingrained. It's also a much easier sell, lies usually are - it's how No could win Indyref.

The EU will punish the UK, hard. It will not be pretty.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

surbiton said:

A lot of the population's wealth is probably less than zero.
    Ironically, if someone carries a £10k overdraft / loan, he/she probably feels "wealthier" than many. But that person will own many assets like a laptop, phone etc.

I believe when I first started work, I really "owned" less than £100 worth. I have never had an overdraft.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693

At what stage does the market make it viable to start laying Leicester? I've been pondering that for weeks, think I'll keep my powder dry for now.

20/1, so a ~4.5% return.

Your capital is at risk.
  • Options
    edited December 2015

Yup.

The BBC said "in a highly unusual move, the IPPC have asked for the officer to be suspended as a criminal murder investigation has begun". It wasn't the plod that wanted him off the street, it is the IPPC who have demanded he is removed.
  • Options
    Yesterday and today, Sky were covering moaning Muslims complaining about the Prevent strategy - and how victimised they felt. Well, tough - given over 300 have been arrested for terrorist related offences in the last year alone. There wasn't a single person to explain Prevent intvd.

FFS the BBC soft soapy interview again with Shakar Amaar, without a single mention of his background or context. If that is all you heard, you would think he was just pottering down the road and next thing he knew was 14 years in prison.

This is a man who thinks the Taliban are great, who associated and called some well known Islamic extremists and terrorists as friends and rejects claims that they are either of those.

• Options

One or two of my friends will be voting to leave. They are as far from UKIP as it is possible to get. The leave tent is broader than one might think.
  • Options

Yup.

The BBC said "in a highly unusual move, the IPPC have asked for the officer to be suspended".
    Suspended completely, perhaps - I don't think so though - maybe unusual because fatal shootings are unusual. They certainly aren't on duty after an incident.
  • Options

As the thread states- This is not America.
    I'd say it's entirely appropriate for the officer involved to be "suspended", pending a thorough enquiry into what happened. Taking a life will have taken it's toll on the man, and he'll need some time and space to get his head straight. Hopefully the officer's actions will be entirely vindicated, and he can resume his duties.
  • Options

This one?

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/676526771483885568
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    edited December 2015
    Pulpstar said:

One or two of my friends will be voting to leave. They are as far from UKIP as it is possible to get. The leave tent is broader than one might think.
    It was a sad day yesterday, I decided with the response by the rest of the EU to attempts at migration benefit controls going nowhere, that I will be voting to leave.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,602
    edited December 2015
    Pulpstar said:

Here's the details of that poll

According to today’s poll of 2,053 voters, when “don’t knows” are included 42 per cent of people would vote to stay in the EU, with 41 per cent voting to leave.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/eureferendum/12050477/UK-exit-from-European-Union-on-a-knife-edge-as-poll-shows-British-public-are-now-5050-over-leaving.html
  • Options
    That interview was Jose's resignation statement wasn't it?
  • Options
    MattW said:

Last paragraph +1.

I saw some figures highlighted by Tim Worstall today that pension and health rights accounted for perhaps more than total private wealth. USA figures :-).

Here:
    http://www.realdailybuzz.com/rdb.nsf/DocView?Open&UNID=44c18bf20ee25a5405257f1b000b20fc
    Ah, good to see Lotus Domino still in action. Fantastic technology in its day, undeservingly neglected by IBM.

On topic I don't think even many Guardian readers seriously believe that British police have directly killed 1061 people in 2015. @thecounted clearly states at the top of its Twittter page that it is the "@GuardianUS's project to document people killed by police in the US". Presumably this is part of the Guardian's efforts to become more international in its reach.
  • Options
    Dair said:

There is really nothing that anyone can do to stop Brexit now. The press has painted such a ridiculous, biased portrait of the EU for so many years that it is deeply ingrained. It's also a much easier sell, lies usually are - it's how No could win Indyref.

What will they do to punish us?

• Options
    edited December 2015
    On the Guardian, the Readers' Editor produced a glorious despairing wail at the ingrowing numerical boneheadedness of that publication in 2012. Pardon me for quoting at a little length:

The reader went on to say: "It seems to me that there is a cultural problem among Guardian reporters, that it is of no consequence if you completely misunderstand or mis-report the figures in a story. The fact that the Guardian corrects them is better than nothing, but I think major corrections of this nature should be given much more prominence – equal to the prominence of the original story. If politicians made mistakes of this order, the Guardian would make a great fuss about it … I hope that you can urge on the editor some training of reporters on basic understanding of statistics, and of the need to check and re-check them. There needs to be a cultural change across the paper."

As readers' editor, I can and do urge more training and better use of statistics. In the past year there have been three sessions with external statistical experts for journalists at the Guardian. And the small team that produces the Guardian's data blog is always ready to help journalists with knotty stats problems. So, why is the misuse of numbers still such an issue – one that perhaps goes beyond a slapdash approach which may account for some of the mistakes that are made?

I think the reader makes a good point about the need for a profound cultural change. Even before journalism became a trade dominated by graduates, practitioners were not traditionally famed for their skills with numbers or love of them – bar some specialists in the likes of business reporting. The present-day preponderance of university degree holders does not seem to have changed this much, perhaps because the majority have a background in humanities rather than sciences (I tried to check whether the Guardian held any analysis of educational backgrounds of staff; it doesn't).
    http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2012/jan/08/trouble-with-numbers-guardian-reporting

I don't see how the situation has changed, nor how it will be allowed to change given that the only way they can maintain that their many weakly supported positions are viable is by relying on fantasy maths.

And we now have a columnist establishment, parts of academe, many leading charities, the police (sex trafficking, for example) and heaven knows how many politicians in the same quicksand. Recall Jeremy Corbyn swallowing Richard Murphy's £120bn Tax Gap gibberish without it touching the sides.
  • Options
    Second EU Poll of the day

@britainelects: EU referendum poll:
    Remain: 40% (-2)
    Leave: 42% (+2)
    (via Survation / early Dec)
    10k person sample size.
  • Options
    Pong said:

20/1, so a ~4.5% return.

Your capital is at risk.
    Sorry I meant on a game by game basis.

• Options
    edited December 2015

Yup.

The BBC said "in a highly unusual move, the IPPC have asked for the officer to be suspended".
    Suspended completely, perhaps - I don't think so though - maybe unusual because fatal shootings are unusual. They certainly aren't on duty after an incident.
    The Met was listening to concerns raised by communities in Haringey and across the capital, he added.....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-35098572

Jesus wept....again this wasn't just bloke walking down the street and was gunned down. It was a armed gang trying to break out well known gangsters. Which bit of that should concern "communities".
  • Options
    Guardian's moved it to here http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/dec/14/labour-mp-jess-phillips-knife-corbyn-vote-loser-general-election#comments

And 7500 comments so far!!!
    SeanT said:

An admirably eloquent essay by antifrank, as ever. But The Guardian is now read by about 10 people.

It's important to remember that just as rightwing red top tabloids are declining in influence, so is the established leftwing media, including the BBC. The plebs are in revolt across the spectrum, and will no longer be force-fed.

That said, the Guardian is significant, for the moment, in terms of internal Labour politics. My guess is that 98% of seriously active members, supporters and MPs in this dwindling party read the Guardian in some form every day.

And what are they doing today? Destroying one of their brightest centrist MPs. Jess Phillips. Check the quite indescribable comments (the ones the moderators let through) beneath this article - a flood of misogyny, snobbery and visceral loathing that the Telegraph kippers would find hard to equal.

As someone says in the thread, she's a white working class woman, ergo everything the Corbynistas hate.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/dec/14/labour-mp-jess-phillips-knife-corbyn-vote-loser-general-elections

Judging by this, we can expect the next Labour government in about 2035.

• Options
    SeanT said:

An admirably eloquent essay by antifrank, as ever. But The Guardian is now read by about 10 people.

It's important to remember that just as rightwing red top tabloids are declining in influence, so is the established leftwing media, including the BBC. The plebs are in revolt across the spectrum, and will no longer be force-fed. .... snip ....

The number of people who read the Guardian today must be far higher than it was ten years ago - the number of readers of the paper itself has tanked, but its online offering has been doing pretty well (in eyeball terms, if not cash) and serves as an influence-multiplier. Would be more effective if more of the people who read it were in an age bracket that actually voted, of course.
  • Options
    edited December 2015

Dair said:

Nothing. They don't want to piss off a market of 60 million consumers.

Anyone who suggests otherwise is firing up Project Fear.
  • Options

10k person sample size.

"Don't know" is remain in disguise.

That is "leave" problem.

Won't stop Dave getting the heebie jeebies over the polling though.
  • Options
    Is it fair to call the Guardian Online the Labour Party at Prayer, I wonder?
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    edited December 2015
    Pulpstar said:

surbiton said:

Alot of the population's wealth is probably less than zero.
    The big difference I can see, is not between those that have something and those small number that have lots, the difference is between who have nothing and those that have something.

That owned home brings along so many spirals of wealth and it cascades down, areas of high home ownership tend to me prosperous, tend to have better schools, tend to have lower crime, tend to have less family breakdown etc.

That 'something' is the hardest to get, and it feeds down through the generations. There are nice middle class families with children who went to good schools and then to university who have since set foot on the property ladder who began that first step with buying a council house in the eighties, and then selling it on and buying another a decade later.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,070
    Dair said:

What rubbish.

Personally, I think both the EU and the UK would be stronger for Brexit.

We are a reluctant member of the club. It makes us unhappy, it makes our friends on the continent unhappy. If we leave, we're happier.

And the Euro-philes (as in lovers of the Euro...) will be happier too. Eurozone integration will be a lot easier without us around. And it will force EU institutions to realise that countries can and will leave if they are not happy. I am a big believer that you need crises (Britain in the 1970s, Germany post-unification) to force difficult but necessary change through. Brexit is the crisis that the EU needs.

And for us: we'll no longer be in an unhappy marriage.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    SeanT said:

It's important to remember that just as rightwing red top tabloids are declining in influence, so is the established leftwing media, including the BBC. The plebs are in revolt across the spectrum, and will no longer be force-fed.

That said, the Guardian is significant, for the moment, in terms of internal Labour politics. My guess is that 98% of seriously active members, supporters and MPs in this dwindling party read the Guardian in some form every day.

And what are they doing today? Destroying one of their brightest centrist MPs. Jess Phillips. Check the quite indescribable comments (the ones the moderators let through) beneath this article - a flood of misogyny, snobbery and visceral loathing that the Telegraph kippers would find hard to equal.

As someone says in the thread, she's a white working class woman, ergo everything the Corbynistas hate.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/dec/14/labour-mp-jess-phillips-knife-corbyn-vote-loser-general-elections

Isn't the Guardian like the second most visited newspaper website in the world or something?
  • Options
    Dave wants four years, EU offers six months.

We'll compromise and get 18 months

David Cameron faces compromise over plans for EU migrants' welfare access

EU commissioner proposes block on claims for first six months, far cry from prime minister’s hopes for four-year exclusion

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/dec/14/david-cameron-faces-compromise-over-plans-for-eu-migrants-welfare-access
  • Options
    SeanT said:

notme said:

Pulpstar said:

It was a sad day yesterday, I decided with the response by the rest of the EU to attempts at migration benefit controls going nowhere, that I will be voting to leave.
    Cameron is completely fucking up the pre-referendum politics. Again we see the essay crisis prime minister.

Oh just bung them some bollocks about migrant benefits. That'll win it.

Wait, the EU won't even accept that.

He is in grave danger of returning to the UK with a renegotiated deal which comprises a promise never to join an ever closer union we never had any intention of joining, this promise to be written in crayon on a babywipe, and cryogenically preserved to show it's true.

He won the indyref because of a basic loyalty to the UK amongst Scots, not because of any political skill (he threw away a 20 point lead). No such loyalty exists towards the EU.
    I'm sorry but you're wrong. And I know you're wrong because almost every poster on PB has been writing about how the whole thing is a giant stitch up. And that Cameron has already secured the "concessions" and that it will be a giant triumph.

Basically the renegotiation is a farce because everything is already agreed.

So any newspaper articles you're reading that suggest that the UK has been rebuffed and there is no agreement is simply wrong.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

SeanT said:

Isn't the Guardian like the second most visited newspaper website in the world or something?
    I believe the sample size was quite small: Jeremy Corbyn, John McDonnell, and their respective wives, secretaries and cats.

They were still behind Mail Online.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited December 2015
    I used to be about as pro-EU as it was possible to be, including being in favour of joining the Euro for example. Now I'm considering voting to leave, although I'm still undecided. The lack of realism from key European leaders is one of the main reasons.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

10k person sample size.

That is "leave" problem.

Can we have a spread as to when a vow will be unleashed?
  • Options

Certainly over here in officer shootings, it's normal for the officer to be placed on paid admin leave pending investigation. If it's a killing they will typically take your badge and gun too pending investigation.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

SeanT said:

I believe the sample size was quite small: Jeremy Corbyn, John McDonnell, and their respective wives, secretaries and cats.

I guess one thing we can say is unlike the Mail people aren't visiting the Guardian for all the z-celeb news and the half naked pictures.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Pulpstar said:

10k person sample size.

That is "leave" problem.

I can genuinely see Leave winning now. Something I thought inconceivable two years ago.

From the migration crisis to a lazy prime minister, everything is in Leave's favour.

I'd put Remain at 1/2 , a year ago I'd have put Remain at 1/20

The one thing the Inners have is almost total control of the timing
    The one thing that "Remain" has in its favour is that there is 10% of the population who will vote according to what Dave says. If he claims a triumphant renegotiation, this small group will believe him.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Pulpstar said:

10k person sample size.

That is "leave" problem.

I can genuinely see Leave winning now. Something I thought inconceivable two years ago.

From the migration crisis to a lazy prime minister, everything is in Leave's favour.

This is going to be like the Indyref all over again isn't it, with you going all ponceyboots gaylord over every poll?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

notme said:

Pulpstar said:

Cameron is completely fucking up the pre-referendum politics. Again we see the essay crisis prime minister.

He is in grave danger of returning to the UK with a renegotiated deal which comprises a promise never to join an ever closer union we never had any intention of joining, this promise to be written in crayon on a babywipe, and cryogenically preserved to show it's true.

He won the indyref because of a basic loyalty to the UK amongst Scots, not because of any political skill (he threw away a 20 point lead). No such loyalty exists towards the EU.
    I'm sorry but you're wrong. And I know you're wrong because almost every poster on PB has been writing about how the whole thing is a giant stitch up. And that Cameron has already secured the "concessions" and that it will be a giant triumph.

So any newspaper articles you're reading that suggest that the UK has been rebuffed and there is no agreement is simply wrong.
    If this is true, the big question will be do whatever deal has been agreed actually hold up to scurrility, or will it be like the great EU budget "triumph"?
  • Options
    The fact that negotiations are even taking place says everything, our PM asking if we no longer have to give money to visitors is as ridiculous a situation as you can imagine.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Here's the details of that poll

According to today’s poll of 2,053 voters, when “don’t knows” are included 42 per cent of people would vote to stay in the EU, with 41 per cent voting to leave.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/eureferendum/12050477/UK-exit-from-European-Union-on-a-knife-edge-as-poll-shows-British-public-are-now-5050-over-leaving.html
    This means 55 - 45, REMAIN wins. Nothing has changed.
  • Options

Dair said:

I believe the plan is to spank us...

More seriously: the big issue with leaving the EU is not the ultimate destination, but a period - say 12-48 months - when it is unclear what the relationship will be between the UK and the EU.

If you are - say - an executive at Mondalez deciding on where to consolidate your European plants, making a choice while the UK's position is unclear, then you will probably choose to go somewhere else.

Of course, once everything is settled on the far side, it will be OK, but the lack of a decided view on the UK's relationship with the EU post-Brexit will have an inevitable impact on invesmtent in the UK.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

notme said:

Pulpstar said:

Cameron was not running the Scottish Independence Referendum. It was a referendum on Scottish Independence run for Scots by Scots - following an SNP majority in Edinburgh.
    It is hardly Cameron's fault that the Labour hegemony in Scotland has collapsed any more than it was Cameron's fault that Labour gave away devolution in the first place and that tory votes collapsed way before his time.

I regard people making their mind up by means of pretending they know what the result would be way before it is announced as pretty pathetic.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

notme said:

Pulpstar said:

If this is true, the big question will be do whatever deal has been agreed actually hold up to scurrility, or will it be like the great EU budget "triumph"?
    I was being sarcastic.

There is no deal, because the EU is 27 countries. And every change needs to be agreed with all 27.

Ultimately, we do have one thing "up our sleeves" and that is that the UK, along with the Germans and the Dutch, bankrolls the EU project. But it only takes one country saying "No", or demanding certain other changes in return for agreement to derail any renegotiation.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited December 2015
    Talk on Newsnight that, because Cameron is too weak to force to EU leaders to agree to a ban on EU migrants' access to benefits, he will inflict that ban on fully-fledged British citizens who haven't "contributed" too, in order to not be "discriminatory".

As I said last night, that would push me from leaning "In" to being a firm "Out": I don't wish to stay in the EU so much that I'm willing to deny unlucky British young people benefits for it.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Dair said:

More seriously: the big issue with leaving the EU is not the ultimate destination, but a period - say 12-48 months - when it is unclear what the relationship will be between the UK and the EU.

If you are - say - an executive at Mondalez deciding on where to consolidate your European plants, making a choice while the UK's position is unclear, then you will probably choose to go somewhere else.

Of course, once everything is settled on the far side, it will be OK, but the lack of a decided view on the UK's relationship with the EU post-Brexit will have an inevitable impact on invesmtent in the UK.
    @rcs: my business is with UK manufacturing. And, in this quarter it has really tanked ! It was sliding gradually all year but this quarter it has fallen off the cliff.

Wait till the ONS figures come out in late January. Don't read the CIPS surveys. They are crap !
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

SeanT said:

I guess one thing we can say is unlike the Mail people aren't visiting the Guardian for all the z-celeb news and the half naked pictures.
    :lol:
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    rcs1000 said:

Dair said:

I noted in the Janker letter that the language was all about "speed towards an ever closer union" and allowing countries to move towards at this at differing speeds. The EU bods can never ever contemplate that perhaps countries or citizens don't want ever closer union, that perhaps it is close enough already.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Talk on Newsnight that, because Cameron is too weak to force to EU leaders to agree to a ban on EU migrants' access to benefits, he will inflict that ban on fully-fledged British citizens who haven't "contributed" too.

As I said last night, that would push me from leaning "In" to being a firm "Out": I don't wish to stay in the EU so much that I'm willing to deny unlucky British young people benefits for it.

Inside or outside the EU, all benefits should require contributions.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    Many apologies I have posted this before (many times..) but this, from my favourite Graun thread, is my favourite comment in response to their claim that there are 100,000 trafficked vietnamese manicurists in Britain:
    It's not maths, it's simple arithmetic. Since you and the author don't seem to understand percentages, here's the plain English translation: your article is claiming that one person in 637 in the UK (including children and the elderly) is a trafficked Vietnamese manicurist. Does this sound plausible to you?

If they are all women, then this would mean one in 315 females of all ages in the UK is a trafficked Vietnamese manicurist. And if we assume they are between fifteen and forty-five, and this age range accounts for half of females, then they would be one in about 150 females in the range. If they are all on the game, as you claim, then even if they only have one client a night, then on any given day, one British man in 300 (ages 15 to 80) pays for sex with a tired trafficked Vietnamese nail manicurist. If they each had ten clients a night, then that would be one British man in 30 paying for sex with a trafficked Vietnamese nail manicurist - each day!

Does this seem plausible to you. Do you really think you and the author are qualified to write about anything involving numbers if you lack even the basic arithmetical common sense needed to judge the plausibility of this story.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

notme said:

Pulpstar said:

I was being sarcastic.

There is no deal, because the EU is 27 countries. And every change needs to be agreed with all 27.

Ultimately, we do have one thing "up our sleeves" and that is that the UK, along with the Germans and the Dutch, bankrolls the EU project. But it only takes one country saying "No", or demanding certain other changes in return for agreement to derail any renegotiation.
    The opposite is also happening for years. The Brits are derailing any budgetary increase which many of the others want.
  • Options
    :love:
    TOPPING said:

Many apologies I have posted this before (many times..) but this, from my favourite Graun thread, is my favourite comment in response to their claim that there are 100,000 trafficked vietnamese manicurists in Britain:

It's not maths, it's simple arithmetic. Since you and the author don't seem to understand percentages, here's the plain English translation: your article is claiming that one person in 637 in the UK (including children and the elderly) is a trafficked Vietnamese manicurist. Does this sound plausible to you?

If they are all women, then this would mean one in 315 females of all ages in the UK is a trafficked Vietnamese manicurist. And if we assume they are between fifteen and forty-five, and this age range accounts for half of females, then they would be one in about 150 females in the range. If they are all on the game, as you claim, then even if they only have one client a night, then on any given day, one British man in 300 (ages 15 to 80) pays for sex with a tired trafficked Vietnamese nail manicurist. If they each had ten clients a night, then that would be one British man in 30 paying for sex with a trafficked Vietnamese nail manicurist - each day!

Does this seem plausible to you. Do you really think you and the author are qualified to write about anything involving numbers if you lack even the basic arithmetical common sense needed to judge the plausibility of this story.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

notme said:

Pulpstar said:

I was being sarcastic.

The opposite is also happening for years. The Brits are derailing any budgetary increase which many of the others want.
    Are you saying some countries want to contribute more? That's easily solved, let them.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Danny565 said:

Talk on Newsnight that, because Cameron is too weak to force to EU leaders to agree to a ban on EU migrants' access to benefits, he will inflict that ban on fully-fledged British citizens who haven't "contributed" too.

An 18-year-old who hasn't had a chance to "contribute" yet comes down with a serious illness, and isn't lucky enough to have parents rolling in enough money to subsidise them.

Would you deny that 18-year-old benefits?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,227

I believe that it is routine for any armed police officer involved in an incident where someone is shot dead to be suspended. It does not assume anything about the findings of the inquiry.

• Options

rcs1000 said:

Dair said:

I noted in the Janker letter that the language was all about "speed towards an ever closer union" and allowing countries to move towards at this at differing speeds. The EU bods can never ever contemplate that perhaps countries or citizens don't want ever closer union, that perhaps it is close enough already.
    That's absolutely right. And I think the EU would be better off changing to a different structure:

Eurozone

+

EEA, non-Eurozone

Essentially, those European countries who are not Eurozone members would leave the EU. All competences over the Eurozone would then go to the EU. This would enable them to make the steps they need to make to solve their problems.

The EEA would remain a part of the single market, and would retain the "four freedoms", but would not be bound by labour laws, and governments would be allowed to discriminate in favour of their own citizens.

The EEA would be allowed to veto EU legislation, but not legislation that only affected the Eurozone.
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    what a strange article
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Dair said:

Mondelez, the tax avoiders, who've dodged paying UK Corporation Tax since 2010? Not the greatest example to use.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

rcs1000 said:

Danny565 said:

An 18-year-old who hasn't had a chance to "contribute" yet comes down with a serious illness, and isn't lucky enough to have parents rolling in enough money to subsidise them.

I wasn't suggesting making the NHS contributory.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Pulpstar said:

10k person sample size.

That is "leave" problem.

This is going to be like the Indyref all over again isn't it, with you going all ponceyboots gaylord over every poll?
    I have no snail in this race. I fervently wanted NO to win indyref, I don't especially mind who wins eu-ref. I can see advantages with either choice.

So my perspective may be more valuable. Or not. Besides, I'm drunk.
    I'm suffering from whiplash from my own mood swings on this referendum.

A year ago I was a committed Europhile, now I'm leaning towards Leave.

Just waiting for the EU referendum so I can do threads entitled

Europe: The Final Countdown
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    rcs1000 said:

Dair said:

The investment decisions of a small number of companies taken during a short timeframe is, or at any rate should be, irrelevant. Not only will the amount of money involved be trivial in the great scheme of things but actually the future of the UK as a nation state is rather above the the needs of a CEO of some multi-national whose prime concern is his bonus.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

One of the greatest comments of all time.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Danny565 said:

rcs1000 said:

Danny565 said:

That wasn't what I was asking: my point was if s/he was too ill to work, and required a payment to put food on the table.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Dair said:

That's absolutely right. And I think the EU would be better off changing to a different structure:

Eurozone

+

EEA, non-Eurozone

Essentially, those European countries who are not Eurozone members would leave the EU. All competences over the Eurozone would then go to the EU. This would enable them to make the steps they need to make to solve their problems.

The EEA would remain a part of the single market, and would retain the "four freedoms", but would not be bound by labour laws, and governments would be allowed to discriminate in favour of their own citizens.

The EEA would be allowed to veto EU legislation, but not legislation that only affected the Eurozone.

Interesting idea, thanks for the thoughts,

Not certain how/if it would work in practice.
  • Options
    The Times editorial is telling David Cameron to let 16 and 17-year-olds have a vote in the EU referendum.

Interesting
  • Options
    The Guardian is well known for its misuse of statistics. There was even a website dedicated to the awful Polly.
    http://factcheckingpollyanna.blogspot.co.uk/2006/12/my-top-ten-favourite-toynbee-errors.html
  • Options

The Times editorial is telling David Cameron to let 16 and 17-year-olds have a vote in the EU referendum.

Interesting

Sounds desperate.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,004
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Pulpstar said:

10k person sample size.

That is "leave" problem.

I have no snail in this race. I fervently wanted NO to win indyref, I don't especially mind who wins eu-ref. I can see advantages with either choice.

There's no question that Remain has lost the initial encounters. Bizarrely inept. I suspect a UKIP mole at Number 10
    The least professional, most unpopular party with a hated leader getting the biggest result in recent british political history

But you can be sure if we leave it will be BAAAAD for the kippers according to the wise owls on here, and a triumph for Dave
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Pulpstar said:

10k person sample size.

That is "leave" problem.

There's no question that Remain has lost the initial encounters. Bizarrely inept. I suspect a UKIP mole at Number 10
    Then you see the fuckwittery at Leave.Eu and you think who actually wants to win this referendum?
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Dair said:

The investment decisions of a small number of companies taken during a short timeframe is, or at any rate should be, irrelevant. Not only will the amount of money involved be trivial in the great scheme of things but actually the future of the UK as a nation state is rather above the the needs of a CEO of some multi-national whose prime concern is his bonus.
    I was not suggesting that was not a price worth paying, or otherwise. (In fact, I've already said I think both the EU and the UK would benefit from Brexit.)

I am merely pointing out that as the UK has not decided on what relationship it would like with the EU post-exit, there will be consequences from a period of uncertainty. You should also be aware that FDI flows into the UK have totalled more than 150bn in the last five years, so they are not that small.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    edited December 2015

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Pulpstar said:

10k person sample size.

That is "leave" problem.

Although of course there is a Braveheart element (a single currency would after all have meant giving up our sovereignty), the EU does not ignite people and, in its current form, nor will it up to and including indyref.

Most people see it as this sprawling mass, just like your local council but bigger. A few are big fans and a few detest it, but it is difficult one way or another to rally around, for example, Directive 2004/39/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 21 April 2004 amending Council Directives 85/611/EEC and 93/6/EEC and Directive 000/12/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council and repealing Council Directive 93/22/EEC (OJ L 145, 30.4.2004, p. 1).

For example.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

rcs1000 said:

Danny565 said:

rcs1000 said:

Danny565 said:

That wasn't what I was asking: my point was if s/he was too ill to work, and required a payment to put food on the table.
    Hard cases make bad law.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Pulpstar said:

10k person sample size.

That is "leave" problem.

Although of course there is a Braveheart element (a single currency would after all have meant giving up our sovereignty), the EU does not ignite people and, in its current form, nor will it up to and including indyref.

Most people see it as this sprawling mass, just like your local council but bigger. A few are big fans and a few detest it, but it is difficult one way or another to rally around, for example, Directive 2004/39/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 21 April 2004 amending Council Directives 85/611/EEC and 93/6/EEC and Directive 000/12/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council and repealing Council Directive 93/22/EEC (OJ L 145, 30.4.2004, p. 1).

For example.
    I'm in favour of a single European currency. So long as that currency is Sterling and the Bank of England runs the show.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

TOPPING said:

One of the greatest comments of all time.

Definite keeper that one.
  • Options

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Pulpstar said:

10k person sample size.

That is "leave" problem.

Speaking of which....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iH1biQdyiQI
  • Options
    Here's an idea, how about we buy from who we want, sell to who we can and politicians keep out of the way. After all if they were so clever they'd all be making a packet in business.

I sold some things today, I didn't need anybody's approval, the bloke wanted to buy the stuff.
This discussion has been closed.