Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » CSI Oldham: The by-election autopsy

13»

Comments

• Options

New Thread New Thread

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,283
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Dair said:

Toryism is about maintaining the status quo and is inherently linked to ensuring the inherited wealth and social inequality is maintained.

Ah, one of those who thinks Margaret Thatcher wasn't a Conservative.

Well, it's a view, I suppose. If you choose a nonsensical definition, and say that anyone who doesn't meet it is not a 'Conservative', then you are going to be hard to argue with!
    I don't think Conservatism is about preserving the status quo in aspic. It's more that things have to change if they're to stay the same.

But, protecting inherited wealth is surely a core part of Conservatism?
    Not in the sense of protecting individual families. At its core what matters is protecting the inherited wealth of the nation as a whole, in the economic, cultural and historical spheres. Conservatism is about preventing decline rather than inhibiting progress, whereas progressivism does not admit that decline is possible or relevant.
    Conservatives are generally hostile to Inheritance taxes.
    And the influence of inheritance tax on social mobility is what exactly? By the time an estate is subject to inheritance tax the children will usually have already lived out most, if not all, of their productive life.
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    edited December 2015
    nt
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293

notme said:

Danny565 said:

notme said:

OT:
    A devastating day in Cumbria, it's not pleasant. The flooding seems worse than that happened in 2005. The expensive flood defences were ultimately overwhelmed with the volume of water. So much pain for so many.

I wonder if Cameron will pledge that "money is no object" this time, or if that is only reserved for when the pampered Southern darlings suffer.
    Carlisle flooded 10 years ago. It has since had £30m+ spent to reduce that risk. Questions need to be asked about how that has been spent and WTF the local Council has done in those 10 years. People need to be held accountable.
    It is the fault of global warming, if people didn't dismiss the existence of it, people might fully comprehend it.
    Lazy politician answer, non of the science shows increasing extremes in weather and storms as a result of the warming of 0.02 deg C we have seen in the last eighteen years.
    18 years ago was a peak. That is manipulative cherrypicking.
    Yes. I know.... I would have admitted that as we got deeper into it. The curse of climate science.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    Good piece, Mr Meeks. The one note of caution is that, as we have seen with the collapse of the LDs, evolutionary can itself evolve into revolutionary once a threshold is crossed i.e. in the longer-term these things are not necessarily linear.
This discussion has been closed.