Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Corbyn’s leader rating with YouGov drops to a calamitous mi

SystemSystem Posts: 11,691
edited December 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Corbyn’s leader rating with YouGov drops to a calamitous minus 41%

Corbyn's YouGov well/badly ratings drops to new low. Just 24% saying he is doing well and 65% badly. Amongst GE2015 LAB voters he's a net -6

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    YouGov Westminster VI

Con 41% (+4) Lab 30% (-1) UKIP 16 (-1) LD 6 (-1)

Changes since late September
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,846
    They'll be fine. Right?
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    That's pretty dire...
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,216
    Pah! That's just pesky voters. What do they know? All those people who gave Corbyn his enormous personal mandate are right and everyone else is wrong.

BTW what's with all this Discussion ID nonsense I keep getting?
  • Options
    Baxter says that's a 50 seat tory majority....
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,053
    edited December 2015

YouGov Westminster VI

Con 41% (+4) Lab 30% (-1) UKIP 16 (-1) LD 6 (-1)

Changes since late September

Conservative majority of 50 on those figures

Conservative 350 Labour 218 LD 3 UKIP 1

http://tinyurl.com/nt86h6c
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited December 2015
    He's still in his honeymoon period. People who don't pay much attention are still giving him the benefit of the doubt, as well as reacting (as the British always do) in favour of the underdog, for the moment at least. In addition, the Corbynites haven't yet started accusing him of betrayal, but they will do.
  • Options
    Just like old times, a YouGov poll coming out around 10pmish
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

AnneJGP said:

Cyclefree said:

kle4 said:

@elliotttimes: Cameron's "terrorist sympathisers" comment has cost 20 Labour MPs already suggests a well-placed source. Touch of the Flashman.

Foolish. Corbyn looking stronger by the hour. Wouldn't be surprised by only a few dozen Lab supporters of the motion now. If all he wanted was the motion to pass, he can get it, but beyond that, what was the point of all this hassle if at the end of the day, Labour are solidly behind Corbyn (or at least not opposed to him)?
    Well, it ties those Labour MPs to a toxic leader. I thought that was part of the Tory strategy: to tar Labour - all of Labour - with the toxicity of Corbyn and McDonnell et al so that even when they go the Labour brand is tarnished by their brand of extremism.

Whether it's the sensible thing to do re the vote is another matter. Honey is better than vinegar at catching wasps. But it may be at this point that Cameron feels that Labour MPs - even those who claim to be against Corbyn - are simply too unreliable or too scared to put their heads above the parapet. He can show allies that he has tried his best. And he can point to Labour as the stumbling block. I doubt that the French or the Americans or other countries will be particularly impressed by the way Labour are behaving.
    It may be that at this point Mr Cameron is knackered and is is losing his diplomatic instinct.
    Possible. He may also be furious. An important decision held hostage to the civil war going on in Labour and the willy waving contest between superannuated Trots on the one hand and shell-shocked MPs on the other.
    Except he isn't being held hostage to anything. He doesn't have to take these things to a vote at all. I know it has been his preference, but if he thinks people are playing political silly buggers, he could have just done it. Scheduling the vote for the day before the by-election suggests he is happy to play politics with it too, so his comments are probably a part of that rather than mere frustration.
    Cyclefree said:

Seconded!
  • Options
    For old times sake, Sleazy broken Lab, Lib Dems and UKIP on the slide, brilliant virtuous Tories on the rise.
  • Options

For old times sake, Sleazy broken Lab, Lib Dems and UKIP on the slide, brilliant virtuous Tories on the rise.

Whatever happened to Gabble? Is he in the Shadow Cabinet yet?
  • Options
    @MSmithsonPB: My conclusion from mounting leadership ratings is that in electoral terms Corbyn is a bigger negative with voters than Miliband or Brown
  • Options

@MSmithsonPB: My conclusion from mounting leadership ratings is that in electoral terms Corbyn is a bigger negative with voters than Miliband or Brown

LOL! Was there ever a statement more of the obvious?
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Corbyn is destroying Labour more quickly by the hour.
  • Options

Nah, Gabble was a Blairite wasn't he?
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

No shit.
  • Options
    Evening all

a calamitous minus 41% - Are these numbers worse than Ed?

• Options

Mike once said to me, sometimes you need to state the obvious to comprehend the magnitude of the situation
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,935
    A South African appeals court will announce on Thursday whether it will change athlete Oscar Pistorius' manslaughter conviction to murder.
  • Options

Mike once said to me, sometimes you need to state the obvious to comprehend the magnitude of the situation

Sound advice.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Rather good Syria debate on Newsnight now.

David Aaronovitch has convinced me even more that these strikes are a bad idea. "As for the question of who will take Raqqa after ISIL are defeated....the answer to that is I don't know."

It's exactly that attitude in the lead-up to Iraq 2003 that led to this mess: when you're only focussed on getting rid of today's evil and don't do any forward planning on what will replace it, leaving a vacuum where this sort of extremism can flourish even more than now.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Corbyn is destroying Labour more quickly by the hour.

Apocalypse Mao :lol:
  • Options

Evening all

In December 2010 Ed's ratings were minus 14 and plus 34 with those that voted Lab in 2010
  • Options
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,651
    Is YouGov now the Gold Standard?

Let's wait for real votes on Thursday.
  • Options

Well in that case, Labour are still better off than the Lib Dems.
  • Options

Evening all

It's pretty poor for his honeymoon period. Just think what the numbers will be like when things start going wrong.
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    So polls are accurate again now, good.
  • Options

LOL!
  • Options

Oh, I don't think anyone's claiming that Labour will do as well as the polls suggest.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

AnneJGP said:

Cyclefree said:

kle4 said:

Foolish. Corbyn looking stronger by the hour. Wouldn't be surprised by only a few dozen Lab supporters of the motion now. If all he wanted was the motion to pass, he can get it, but beyond that, what was the point of all this hassle if at the end of the day, Labour are solidly behind Corbyn (or at least not opposed to him)?
    Well, it ties those Labour MPs to a toxic leader. I thought that was part of the Tory strategy: to tar Labour - all of Labour - with the toxicity of Corbyn and McDonnell et al so that even when they go the Labour brand is tarnished by their brand of extremism.

Whether it's the sensible thing to do re the vote is another matter. Honey is better than vinegar at catching wasps. But it may be at this point that Cameron feels that Labour MPs - even those who claim to be against Corbyn - are simply too unreliable or too scared to put their heads above the parapet. He can show allies that he has tried his best. And he can point to Labour as the stumbling block. I doubt that the French or the Americans or other countries will be particularly impressed by the way Labour are behaving.
    It may be that at this point Mr Cameron is knackered and is is losing his diplomatic instinct.
    Possible. He may also be furious. An important decision held hostage to the civil war going on in Labour and the willy waving contest between superannuated Trots on the one hand and shell-shocked MPs on the other.
    Except he isn't being held hostage to anything. He doesn't have to take these things to a vote at all. I know it has been his preference, but if he thinks people are playing political silly buggers, he could have just done it. Scheduling the vote for the day before the by-election suggests he is happy to play politics with it too, so his comments are probably a part of that rather than mere frustration.
    Cyclefree said:

Seconded!
    I think if he'd gone ahead and done it without a vote he'd have been criticised for that, in light of the previous vote and the debate last Thursday when he set out the case for extending bombing. Even if it goes through tomorrow it's nearly 3 weeks since the Paris bombings when France asked for our help. He'd have been criticised if he did it on Thursday too.

I think there is an element of fury in his comments. Sure, political tactics, whether good or bad, too. But I think he is genuine in thinking Corbyn a friend of terrorists and unpatriotic, in a way which no-one thought of Charlie Kennedy as being, despite him taking a similar "no war" stance on Iraq.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Mary Creagh: "What we want is a democratically-elected Syrian government in charge of a united country"

And I want to live in a gold-plated mansion.
  • Options

Doubt it! These numbers flatter Labour were this to continue to a real GE.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @bbclaurak: One Tory MP predicts govt can win tmrw without needing Labour support - seems optimistic but sentiment running v high tonight on all sides
  • Options

Leader ratings are, just as they were in May.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Mary Creagh: "What we want is a democratically-elected Syrian government in charge of a united country"

Was about to say she wants the moon on a stick, that'd be more realistic.
  • Options

Miliband inspired indifference, Corbyn is different, he is like Thatcher in a way, that many people think he is the second coming, a saviour on earth, while others think he's a lunatic trot who has never come across an enemy of this country he hasnt wanted to hug.

At this point in the last parliament, Labour was drawing level with the Conservatives, with both parties scoring in high thirties, low forties and oscillating between the two. Labour really are in a mess.

(PS, is it possible to delete old posts?)
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

David Aaronovitch has convinced me even more that these strikes are a bad idea. "As for the question of who will take Raqqa after ISIL are defeated....the answer to that is I don't know."

It's exactly that attitude in the lead-up to Iraq 2003 that led to this mess: when you're only focussed on getting rid of today's evil and don't do any forward planning on what will replace it, leaving a vacuum where this sort of extremism can flourish even more than now.

Whoever it is will be better than ISIL. Destroy them first, then try and help sort out the remaining mess.
  • Options
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492

Oh, I don't think anyone's claiming that Labour will do as well as the polls suggest.
    Is anybody claiming anything? The pb Tories are too busy pumping up their blow up dolls to claim anything

• Options
    I'm not even a Labour supporter and I'm cringing behind a cushion at these leader ratings. They're beyond appalling.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Wondering where unity is harder. Syria or Labour.
  • Options
    notme said:

Miliband inspired indifference, Corbyn is different, he is like Thatcher in a way, that many people think he is the second coming, a saviour on earth, while others think he's a lunatic trot who has never come across an enemy of this country he hasnt wanted to hug.

At this point in the last parliament, Labour was drawing level with the Conservatives, with both parties scoring in high thirties, low forties and oscillating between the two. Labour really are in a mess.

Quite a few non Tories have said to me that what we'll see is the Con to UKIP switchers go back as they won't even risk any chance of a Corbyn led government.

I have my doubts.

Re deleted posts. Only if you ask Mike or Robert nicely, you have about six minutes to edit a post after first publication.
  • Options
    @DianaJohnsonMP: I have just received the following message in my parliamentary e mail in box. Having spent the last few days... https://t.co/lxTsYirapz
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Do you think that Mary Creagh's ambition is more or less likely to be achieved if IS are removed or if they stay?
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    Peter Kellner, wasn't he the chap who, on live TV, told us the exit poll on 7th May was wrong? What credibility should we place on his pronouncements or the figures produced by his company?
  • Options
    PBmoderator: Is it possible to get the URL for the Electoral Calculus link in HYUFD's post trimmed? It is breaking the site on an iPad.
  • Options

Is YouGov now the Gold Standard?

Let's wait for real votes on Thursday.

While there has to be some doubt over YouGov's accuracy, the scale of the numbers surely puts the big picture heyond question. Likewise the direction of travel.
  • Options

More to the point, these could be very wrong indeed and they'd still be desperately poor for Jeremy Corbyn. The polls were out by about 3% in May.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Perhaps Aaronovitch should stand for election then, say President of France. He can explain how he would remove ISIS and stop their terror campaign. Can he explain how bombing ISIS in Syria, across a border they do not recognise is any different to bombing ISIS in Iraq? How can Iraq defend itself with the help of its allies if it and we are stupidly constrained from attacking ISIS where it counts (and all as part of a UN mandated 60 strong international coalition??)
    What happens after is not in our gift, we are part of a coalition. You and Corbun and all the rest of the bunch who want to prostrate themselves servile before terror do not want us to be part of anything, even better if you can weaken the aforesaid coalition.
  • Options

Is anybody claiming anything? The pb Tories are too busy pumping up their blow up dolls to claim anything

Actually the PB Tories are mostly trying to come up with sensible advice to help the saner elements of Labour regain their party from the extremists, but it's proving near-impossible to come up with anything.
  • Options

Evening all

I'm wondering if a LOTO has ever had worse ratings - what were IDS's at his nadir?
  • Options

Peter Kellner, wasn't he the chap who, on live TV, told us the exit poll on 7th May was wrong? What credibility should we place on his pronouncements or the figures produced by his company?
    Kellner always predicted the Tories would be largest party in the Sunday Times but he did not predict a Tory majority
  • Options
    The return of Muscular Liberalism.

With Orangemen and sandal wearers on board, Cameron doesn't need many from Labour to get a comfy majority.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Danny565 said:

Such political vision. Why has no one thought of it before?

In all seriousness, what was the context of that comment? I don't really see how it is relevant to anything being discussed, because that possibility is not on the table, not for a loooong time at least, so why bring it up? Is it to suggest other people don't want that?

In any case, since we're dreaming, shouldn't it be a 'democratically elected Syrian government in charge of a united country that also shares our values? I bet she wouldn't be happy if they elected in a government which did all sorts of things we disliked.
  • Options
    I'll go 16-1 on Mary Creagh (£50 max stake) next Labour leader if anyone wants it.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,946
    ...it's a terrible night for the Tories...
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,514
    edited December 2015

More to the point, these could be very wrong indeed and they'd still be desperately poor for Jeremy Corbyn. The polls were out by about 3% in May.
    This is during Corbyn's honeymoon.

History suggests his ratings will now only go one way now and it isn't upwards.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I'll go 16-1 on Mary Creagh (£50 max stake) next Labour leader if anyone wants it.

You mean you'll lay that, I hope?
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474

Didn't he go to prison?
  • Options

Mr Llama: if you were to sneak into one of my talks in a funeral suit with a clipboard you would stick out like the proverbial sore thumb!
  • Options
    Blimey, both Creagh and Parris are on either side of the argument but they're both very bloody wrong.
  • Options
    edited December 2015

Pulpstar said:

Yep. I have full confidence in Momentum :)
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    I have to say that Cameron has written the narrative for the rest of Corbyn's career.

Terrorist.

Sympathiser.

That is going to stick. It is very close to sticking to the entire Labour party - Terrorist Sympathisers. I admit to never really rating Cameron. But he waited and waited and waited and then STRUCK. Labour are finished.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    These numbers are Oldham-losing bad....
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Yep. I have full confidence in momentum :)
    Phew, I feared for a moment that you'd lost your marbles!
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

None! Kellner is/was a Labour supporter anyway. I can't see that he's changed his political stance since May.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,875
    Danny565 said:

The problem with Iraq 2003 is that we kidded ourselves that we could invade a country and shape it as we wish. It's not impossible (we did it with Nazi Germany), but a lot of the early Gulf War II was done on the cheap and things got out of hand: arguably it wasn't until Bush wrestled things back under control with the Surge in 2007, by which time it was too late.

If we just say that the bombing is intended to hurt those who have hurt us, and admit that at heart we actually don't care about the post-bombing political system, then the problem becomes more clearly defined and soluble. You can't kill an idea, but if you kill enough of its proponents you eventually make them too afraid to act on it.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I wouldn't back her to win her seat in 2020, never mind lead Labour.
  • Options
    From the chap, who in May, said UKIP already had four seats in the bag

@GoodwinMJ: Con vote in Oldham not all blue-collar. Won't defect en masse to Ukip. Not enough Lib Dems. Seat not as white w.class as Heywood. Lab hold.
  • Options
    Hold on she's talking a bit of sense now. Her bit on Assad was away with the fairies though.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

But they will go down in a quiet and dignified way.
  • Options
    edited December 2015

notme said:

Quite a few non Tories have said to me that what we'll see is the Con to UKIP switchers go back as they won't even risk any chance of a Corbyn led government.

I have my doubts.

Re deleted posts. Only if you ask Mike or Robert nicely, you have about six minutes to edit a post after first publication.
    In my canvassing for the GE, the Tory to UKIP switchers came back in abundance. We used to play a game of bingo, when we canvassed a UKIP voter, we always asked them who they supported in the past. It was invariably Labour, we would remark to the person doing the canvass sheet some bingo related comment.

It wasnt always the case, around 2012/13. Some very prosperous areas near where I live, probably considered the better off area of the constituency, we were getting lots of ukip switchers, often on issues like gay marriage, and the tax that never was, the 'granny tax'.

That melted away. We were getting the old two thumbs up, voting Tory, all the way kind of enthusiasm from those we had in the past picked up as UKIP.
  • Options
    In hindsight, tomorrow was an appalling day to schedule my diabetic retinopathy.
  • Options
    notme said:

There is no comparison with Thatcher. She was never regarded as some sort of saint or prophet or cult leader when she was elected leader of the conservative party. She appointed Willie Whitelaw as her deputy and worked well with him. She was not messianic and was not regarded as a messiah. She worked hard as leader of the opposition and has the tragic experience of seeing her campaign manager blown up by the IRA on the eve of the general election campaign.
    Oh how MacDonnell must have cheered. The swine does have a track record of openly behaving like that.
  • Options
    notme said:

As I am apparently unable to not see things positively for Labour (see my prediction of Lab majority up until Feb 2015, when I switched to Lab most seats), is there a possibility that Corbyn is soaking up so much of the negativity that if he does go at some point, and is replaced by someone semi sensible, that rather than the rest being tarred with the same brush, there will be a remarkable turnaround to them leading in the polls?

I know we'd expect them to be doing better, honeymoon period and all that, but clearly this is no normal leadership, so things could be different. And although it is apparent more MPs support him than we had seen reported, given the possibly low number of Lab MPs going to vote with the government, with the narrative being how little support he has there, might not they manage to avoid any blowback if electoral disaster forces him out? The narrative is that they too wanted him gone after all.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited December 2015
    kle4 said:

Danny565 said:

In all seriousness, what was the context of that comment? I don't really see how it is relevant to anything being discussed, because that possibility is not on the table, not for a loooong time at least, so why bring it up? Is it to suggest other people don't want that?

In any case, since we're dreaming, shouldn't it be a 'democratically elected Syrian government in charge of a united country that also shares our values? I bet she wouldn't be happy if they elected in a government which did all sorts of things we disliked.
    Perhaps time to recall the last time that we invaded Syria, though bombing the frogs on that occasion!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syria–Lebanon_Campaign

A good book on the subject here:

http://amzn.to/1OvbcPE
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    I think the L&N model would cap the Cameron figure as too-good-to-be-true-but-landslide-territory-so-who-cares...
  • Options
    1...2....3...all after me...Corbynism sweeping the nation.

I am sure we will get a poll of Labour members shortly, saying that Kim John Jez and McMao are utterly brilliant. 90% approval among the members.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    Scott_P said:

@DianaJohnsonMP: I have just received the following message in my parliamentary e mail in box. Having spent the last few days... https://t.co/lxTsYirapz

Is a purge really that straightforward? Vote of no confidence passes and then automatic deselection in 2020?
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

But they will go down in a quiet and dignified way.
    Like the Titanic?
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    edited December 2015
    As soon as I write a long post, a new thread of course.

Philip_Thompson said:
    "Bull.

"If the UNSC authorises action it is legal that is undisputed international law. What is disputed is when action is legal without UNSC backing. The UNSC has passed a resolution backing military action unanimously therefore it is unquestionably legal."

Slight clarification. There are many ways, most arguable rather than crystal clear, in which preemptive action in self-defense is legal.

Regardless, a military action becomes legal if the UN Security Council authorizes it while explicitly acting under Chapter VII of the UN Charter. If it does not have words to the effect of "acting under Chapter VII of the Charter", the UNSCR will not have legal authority to legitimize military action.

Surprisingly, while calling on States that are capable of acting against ISIS to do so and to coordinate efforts, this latest UNSCR (2249 (2015)) is not (NOT) a Chapter VII resolution.

The relevant operative paragraph, absent one noting an action under Chapter VII, is this:

"Calls upon Member States that have the capacity to do so to take all necessary measures, in compliance with international law, in particular with the United Nations Charter, as well as international human rights, refugee and humanitarian law, on the territory under the control of ISIL also known as Da’esh, in Syria and Iraq, to redouble and coordinate their efforts to prevent and suppress terrorist acts committed specifically by ISIL also known as Da’esh as well as ANF, and all other individuals, groups, undertakings, and entities associated with Al-Qaida, and other terrorist groups, as designated by the United Nations Security Council, and as may further be agreed by the International Syria Support Group (ISSG) and endorsed by the UN Security Council, pursuant to the statement of the International Syria Support Group (ISSG) of 14 November, and to eradicate the safe haven they have established over significant parts of Iraq and Syria"

Thus, from a prima facie reading, authority for action relies upon previous resolutions, not this one, and relates to those actions endorsed by the UNSC on 14 November based on the recommendations of the ISSG.

It is an interesting resolution, presumably considerably modified from a French draft (to protect civilians and refugees) by the Russians (to add protections to the Assad regime - the references to international law and the UN Charter). It shouts out, between the lines, that any action is to be quite overtly constrained action.

The references to humanitarian law in particular remind would be participants to observe proportionality in their actions. All the other references in this context talk to the need to protect civilians and refugees. In essence, they are superfluous references as the need to comply with them would still exist without their mention, but that they are so explicitly highlighted shows some of the concerns in the UNSC debates.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642

@GoodwinMJ: Con vote in Oldham not all blue-collar. Won't defect en masse to Ukip. Not enough Lib Dems. Seat not as white w.class as Heywood. Lab hold.

You backing UKIP in Oldham?
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

You backing UKIP in Oldham?
    Yeah, backed them at 8/1 a fortnight ago.

I'm not expecting to win.
  • Options
    @bbclaurak: Latest BBC number crunching suggests 362 MPs in favour, 175 against, 80 undecided
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,289
    If Cam has DUP + UUP + LD then he can afford 25 Con rebels even with no Lab support:

331 + 8 + 2 + 8 = 349

324 to win

NB. Counting Speakers on both sides of the equation - without Speakers he has 347 but only needs 322. So buffer = 25.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658

Danny565 said:

Perhaps Aaronovitch should stand for election then, say President of France. He can explain how he would remove ISIS and stop their terror campaign. Can he explain how bombing ISIS in Syria, across a border they do not recognise is any different to bombing ISIS in Iraq? How can Iraq defend itself with the help of its allies if it and we are stupidly constrained from attacking ISIS where it counts (and all as part of a UN mandated 60 strong international coalition??)
    What happens after is not in our gift, we are part of a coalition. You and Corbun and all the rest of the bunch who want to prostrate themselves servile before terror do not want us to be part of anything, even better if you can weaken the aforesaid coalition.
    Presumably Aaronivitch was in favour and was arguing the same as you.
  • Options
    John Baron spot on IMO.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    Cyclefree said:

Mr Llama: if you were to sneak into one of my talks in a funeral suit with a clipboard you would stick out like the proverbial sore thumb!
    Well I might get away with it as an external verifier. Perhaps I should wear my University Fellow outfit but I have to say when bluffing one's way past doorkeepers and the like looking very smart (shiny shoes especially) and a decent moustache works wonders just about everywhere.
  • Options
    Newsnight audience members more sceptical of air strikes after hearing the debate.
  • Options
    notme said:

notme said:

I have my doubts.

In my canvassing for the GE, the Tory to UKIP switchers came back in abundance. We used to play a game of bingo, when we canvassed a UKIP voter, we always asked them who they supported in the past. It was invariably Labour, we would remark to the person doing the canvass sheet some bingo related comment.

It wasnt always the case, around 2012/13. Some very prosperous areas near where I live, probably considered the better off area of the constituency, we were getting lots of ukip switchers, often on issues like gay marriage, and the tax that never was, the 'granny tax'.

That melted away. We were getting the old two thumbs up, voting Tory, all the way kind of enthusiasm from those we had in the past picked up as UKIP.
    I'm hopeful we'll be getting in the next few weeks a comprehensive analysis/polling of what makes up the 13% that voted UKIP in May.

That will answer a few questions.
  • Options
    Case for intervention still not clear. Cameron should be persuading through argument not insults and threats.

You have to vote no.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited December 2015

kle4 said:

Danny565 said:

Perhaps time to recall the last time that we invaded Syria, though bombing the frogs on that occasion!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syria–Lebanon_Campaign

A good book on the subject here:

http://amzn.to/1OvbcPE
    General Slim's capture of Deir el Zor and Raqqa was particularly daring. Quite possible the outstanding British General of WW2

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Deir_ez_Zor
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,875
    edited December 2015
    RodCrosby said:

I think the L&N model would cap the Cameron figure as too-good-to-be-true-but-landslide-territory-so-who-cares...

Rod! Lebo & Norpoth! Yay! Old times sake!...:-)
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

John Baron spot on IMO.

Well we know which way Baron will vote, but what about my (almost local) MP Barron ?
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,946
    notme said:

notme said:

I have my doubts.

Two words: triple lock.

• Options
    MikeL said:

If Cam has DUP + UUP + LD then he can afford 25 Con rebels even with no Lab support:

331 + 8 + 2 + 8 = 349

324 to win

NB. Counting Speakers on both sides of the equation - without Speakers he has 347 but only needs 322. So buffer = 25.

Remember that the opposition is one down until Thursday's by election, plus I am aware of one Labour MP not expected to vote on medical grounds.
  • Options
    Support for airstrikes has dropped from 59% to 48% in the last week, according to The Times.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,289
    Surely Dave now has to do his patriotic duty and remain leader for GE 2020 - to ensure the total annihilation of the Labour party.
This discussion has been closed.