Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

Comments

• Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,001
    LAB to inch it. 3-5% winning margin.

CON down below 15%

LDs to outperform expectations (or at least retain their deposit).

Sir Oink-A-Lot to beat the Greens.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,445

As I said, do some of the 'research' you are so proud of, and either read last night's thread or wiki.

Leaving aside the irony of someone criticising someone else for poor research and in the same breath citing wikipedia, I'm quite puzzled that this is what you've been jumping up and down to tell me: http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/default.aspx?pageid=438&n=frankfurt-based-ihh-2010-07-13

According to the German authorities, one organisation splitting into two in 1997. Seperately run organisations - sure. 'Another organisation with the same initials' - pushing it. It seems notable that the one stopped its activities in Germany when the other begun.

They also fiercely deny being linked to Al Qaeda after being raided by the Turkish police: http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/turkish-police-detain-28-in-anti-al-qaeda-op-raid-on-ihh-office.aspx?PageID=238&NID=61000&NewsCatID=341

They also fiercely deny that it was their lorries that were raided with weapons bound for Syria: http://www.todayszaman.com/latest-news_suspicious-of-arms-shipment-turkish-army-stops-truck-bound-for-syria_335503.html

My point, and I don't regret the source I used to illustrate it, was that there are clear reasons to suppose that this NGO is a legitimate target for an airstrike within Syria, as opposed to the 'NGO bread bakery' story which makes it appear that Putin just bombed the local Oxfam shop.

Those who take something from my posting words to that affect will have done so, and I'm glad to have added some nuance to their view of the event. Whether you exhuming this, trumpeting 'Alex Jones' every post, and trying to make me look bad will have added much to the debate is up to you to decide.

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    He has the same position as me actually (Mine has alot more money tied up but nets off to this)

He's done an Alistair Meeks with his prediction though:

Name
    Tom Harris
    User

Winner
    Labour
    Conservative %
    Green %
    Labour %
    Liberal Democrat %
    UKIP %
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    Oldham

Lab win by

0-5 2/1
    5-10 15/8
    10-15 9/2
    15-20 33/1
    20-25 40/1
    25+ 50/1

Lab Lose 11/4

Any more for any more???

• Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    edited December 2015
    isam said:

Oldham

Lab win by

0-5 2/1
    5-10 15/8

[...]

Lab by 0-5 is nailed on, given my betfair book and my bet with you...
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001

rcs1000 said:

I'm thinking about getting @RichardTyndall an EU advent calendar.

I'm generous like that.

I was assuming we were all going to be sent one, as part of the generous investment the EU makes in the UK.
    I believe the latest wease is "free tatoos (so long as they are of the EU flag)"
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Danny565 said:

taffys said:

''More likely after 2025, and maybe not even then.''

I don't see the moderates ever winning again. The great mass movement of working people that used to be labour no longer exists.

This depends what you mean by "moderates". There's never going to be a swivel-eyed ultra-Blairite winning the leadership again, true.

But the Soft Left is still near-unbeatable in Labour leadership elections IF they offer a good candidate; most members want to win elections while still having just about enough principles to make it worthwhile. The problem was there was perceived to be no Soft Left candidate in this year's leadership election (Burnham could've been it but destroyed it by following Liz Kendall down the Blairite rabbit-hole in the first couple of weeks of the contest, and even though he tried to swerve back later people had stopped trusting him).
    What was wrong with Yvette ?
    She also went down the Blairite rabbit hole. And didn't really come out of it.

What Labour really needs to sort itself out is a not crap Ed Miliband.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Pulpstar said:

He has the same position as me actually (Mine has alot more money tied up but nets off to this)

He's done an Alistair Meeks with his prediction though
    I strongly suspect the prediction is from a different Tom Harris - @tnjharris not @MrTCHarris
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Pulpstar said:

@PickardJE · 2m2 minutes ago
    Sounds like Labour MPs buckling under pressure: leader's office briefing 100 Syria rebels - others suggest it may be down to 30 or 40 now.

The Oldham optics could yet be focussing minds - seeing as UKIP are (I think) against bombing.
    UKIP are against bombing Oldham?
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    I just googled for EU tattoo images - alas no real ones so far!
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

I'm thinking about getting @RichardTyndall an EU advent calendar.

I'm generous like that.

I was assuming we were all going to be sent one, as part of the generous investment the EU makes in the UK.
    I believe the latest wease is "free tatoos (so long as they are of the EU flag)"
  • Options
    MikeK said:

Trump is liked: fancy that!
    twitter.com/AllenWest/status/671708898814992385

That is because the black American community dislike Hispanics even more than Trump does.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    edited December 2015

rcs1000 said:

I've made my prediction.

I forgot to put in my winner. But from my prediction it is clear who I expect to win.

Where do these predictions show up? (Even I had a go)
    You can click on the menu box (top right corner of the prediction frame), or...

Search

Summary

Thank you. I see my prediction of Labour squeaking home by a few percent is not widely shared :)
    40% of the labour vote will turn out
    85% of the UKIP vote will turn out
    50% of conservatives
    50% of libdem

Well... we will not have long to wait. If I win can I swap the book on politics for something shoe-related?
    You mean a book on shoes?? :lol:
    One for Santa:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Book-Shoes-Marta-Morales/dp/1770851240

"the creations of Pons Quitana, Paco Gil, Victoria Spruce, Iris Morata, Cuple, Barbara Bui, BF Coleccion Europa, Caramelo, Chie Miraha, Ellen Ver Beek and many more...."
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    William_H said:

Pulpstar said:

Danny565 said:

taffys said:

I don't see the moderates ever winning again. The great mass movement of working people that used to be labour no longer exists.

This depends what you mean by "moderates". There's never going to be a swivel-eyed ultra-Blairite winning the leadership again, true.

But the Soft Left is still near-unbeatable in Labour leadership elections IF they offer a good candidate; most members want to win elections while still having just about enough principles to make it worthwhile. The problem was there was perceived to be no Soft Left candidate in this year's leadership election (Burnham could've been it but destroyed it by following Liz Kendall down the Blairite rabbit-hole in the first couple of weeks of the contest, and even though he tried to swerve back later people had stopped trusting him).

Yup.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Ghedebrav said:

CON down below 15%

One, or maybe two out of four there.

I'm guessing you're a Lib Dem with the wishful thinking on the bottom two.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @faisalislam: In interview with me, Labour leader @jeremycorbyn warns MPs "there is no hiding place" for their decisions in the @houseofcommons tomorrow
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

I strongly suspect the prediction is from a different Tom Harris - @tnjharris not @MrTCHarris
    I'd claim that it was a different Alastair Meeks who'd filled out the competition. There would be a slight problem with that though.
  • Options
    @faisalislam: Corbyn tells me he agreed to a free vote "in a spirit of democratic openness"
  • Options

isam said:

Oldham

Lab win by

0-5 2/1
    5-10 15/8

[...]

Lab by 0-5 is nailed on, given my betfair book and my bet with you...
    Ha I need UKIP to win or Lab by 16+ #inamess
  • Options
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/syria/12026280/David-Cameron-prepares-for-Syria-air-strikes-after-Jeremy-Corbyn-U-turn-live.html#update-20151201-1606
    Jeremy Corbyn and Hilary Benn are now in open conflict over Syrian air strikes.

In a dramatic intervention on BBC Radio earlier today, Mr Corbyn singled out Mr Benn - who supports air strikes - and said that meant killing innocent people.
  • Options
    MikeK said:
    Well it took place in October, Mike. Doubt it'd be heading up the BBC's front page right now. Other items in the news and all that.
  • Options
    Mr. P, democratic openness and nowhere to hide. Hmm.
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    edited December 2015
    Scott_P said:

@faisalislam: In interview with me, Labour leader @jeremycorbyn warns MPs "there is no hiding place" for their decisions in the @houseofcommons tomorrow

That looks like thinly veiled threat.

'Vote for action if you choose, but remember that Momentum know where you live'.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,014

As I said, do some of the 'research' you are so proud of, and either read last night's thread or wiki.

Leaving aside the irony of someone criticising someone else for poor research and in the same breath citing wikipedia, I'm quite puzzled that this is what you've been jumping up and down to tell me: http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/default.aspx?pageid=438&n=frankfurt-based-ihh-2010-07-13

(snip)

My point, and I don't regret the source I used to illustrate it, was that there are clear reasons to suppose that this NGO is a legitimate target for an airstrike within Syria, as opposed to the 'NGO bread bakery' story which makes it appear that Putin just bombed the local Oxfam shop.

Those who take something from my posting words to that affect will have done so, and I'm glad to have added some nuance to their view of the event. Whether you exhuming this, trumpeting 'Alex Jones' every post, and trying to make me look bad will have added much to the debate is up to you to decide.

Someone complaining about me using Wikipedia, when you use PrisonPlanet without verification, is quite delicious. BTW, that was not the only place I checked. I also suggest you read the talk in wiki about it as well - sometimes (although far from always) more enlightening than the actual article.

As for your source: it shows that the German and Turkish IHH's are two different organisations. Well done. And note that has nothing to do with your original claim about the Netherlands. A very poor attempt at diversion.

So what we have is that it was not banned in the Netherlands, as you claimed after reading a conspiracy-theory website. Neither was it banned in Germany.

There are 'clear reasons' for the attack in your conspiracy-theorist mind. Alternatively, it might just have been a bakery giving bread charitably to people who need it. You cannot know. I cannot know. But as usual, you cluelessly back Putin.

Thanks for showing once again that your self-satisfied checks for sources are so much bunkum. The only thing that people should take from your words are that you are a clueless tinfoil-hatter. 'Teeth are bone', 'The Olympic was swapped for the Titanic', and many more.

I hope I don't have long to wait for the next: I need a laugh.
  • Options
    Kevin Schofield @PolhomeEditor

Number of Labour MPs voting for bombing likely to be 30-40. Source says: "Many are facing appalling intimidation from the anti-war brigade."
    3:41 PM - 1 Dec 2015
    Scott_P said:

• Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''Doubt it'd be heading up the BBC's front page right now. Other items in the news and all that. ''

French regionals follow on closely from Oldham. Wonder if the BBC will put them on the front page
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Why has Labour been firming on the Betting exchanges since the weekend? Postal vote information leaking perhaps?
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

Number of Labour MPs voting for bombing likely to be 30-40. Source says: "Many are facing appalling intimidation from the anti-war brigade."
    Scott_P said:

Yet the Labour for Oldham odds are falling...
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Your attitude is rather sad - you of all people I would have thought would be interested in a diet that historically made the Scottish population so healthy. Haggis (nutrient rich organ meats - a common theme), soaked oats (as I described), turnips - all very much part of the Weston A Price school of thought. Far healthier than England's contemporary diet of wheat (albeit that all bread was soaked in those days).

That's a lovely story that's completely ruined by the reality of the Scottish diet being grossly inferior and Scotland constantly teetering on the edge of famine due to the lack of arable land.

This situation was only remedied by the introduction of the potato and the creation of a sufficiently awesome subsoil plow which was as late as the start of the nineteenth century, and high energy density grains.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Voting against intervention is voting to allow ISIS to carry on with their behaviour; it isn't a vote for peace, it's a vote to step aside during beheadings, terrorism, summary executions, genocide, persecution of 'others'.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    justin124 said:

Why has Labour been firming on the Betting exchanges since the weekend? Postal vote information leaking perhaps?

Insignificant money there I would say.. for the six betfair boxes to be 8 ticks wide and have £200 in total is pretty meaningless
  • Options
    chestnut said:

Voting against intervention is voting to allow ISIS to carry on with their behaviour; it isn't a vote for peace, it's a vote to step aside during beheadings, terrorism, summary executions, genocide, persecution of 'others'.

When peace comes to Syria - Labour get no credit.

• Options
    it isn't a vote for peace, it's a vote to step aside during beheadings, terrorism, summary executions, genocide, persecution of 'others'.

The general leftist retort is, 'then why aren;t be bombing Saudi Arabia.'
  • Options
    isam said:

justin124 said:

Insignificant money there I would say
    5-2 becomes 3-1 shot... It's the equivalent of someone noting a 2nd favourite is mucking about a touch before getting into the stalls.
  • Options
    If the shadow cabinet really wanted rid of Corbyn, they could whip the Syria vote in favour
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,995

Pulpstar said:

I'd claim that it was a different Alastair Meeks who'd filled out the competition. There would be a slight problem with that though.
    You could always enter as Michael Green
  • Options
    chestnut said:

The desire to bomb Syria was borne of the terrorism in Paris wasn't it? The big danger to us must be British terrorists currently in Britain. What I find surprising/worrying are the lack of arrests/raids here
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

chestnut said:

When peace comes to Syria - Labour get no credit.

I think the peaceniks are on safe ground with that calculation tbh.
  • Options
    DanSmithDanSmith Posts: 1,215
    So the government has 330 MPs. Lets take off 20 through rebels and other things.

~310.

+ DUP + Libdems

~325

+ 40 Labour MPs

~365

Looking at a majority of 70-80 MPs.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256

rcs1000 said:

I've made my prediction.

I forgot to put in my winner. But from my prediction it is clear who I expect to win.

Where do these predictions show up? (Even I had a go)
    You can click on the menu box (top right corner of the prediction frame), or...

Search

Summary

Thank you. I see my prediction of Labour squeaking home by a few percent is not widely shared :)
    40% of the labour vote will turn out
    85% of the UKIP vote will turn out
    50% of conservatives
    50% of libdem

Well... we will not have long to wait. If I win can I swap the book on politics for something shoe-related?
    You mean a book on shoes?? :lol:
    One for Santa:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Book-Shoes-Marta-Morales/dp/1770851240

"the creations of Pons Quitana, Paco Gil, Victoria Spruce, Iris Morata, Cuple, Barbara Bui, BF Coleccion Europa, Caramelo, Chie Miraha, Ellen Ver Beek and many more...."
    Oh yes.....
  • Options
    DanSmith said:

So the government has 330 MPs. Lets take off 20 through rebels and other things.

~310.

+ DUP + Libdems

~325

+ 40 Labour MPs

~365

Looking at a majority of 70-80 MPs.

Aren't the LD's going to vota against?
  • Options
    MikeK said:
    How about you give us a list of marches and demonstrations in Europe about *any* subject that made the UK news.

300,000 Spaniards came out against "austerity" two years ago. And it merited not a single paragraph that I noticed.
  • Options
    isam said:

justin124 said:

Insignificant money there I would say.. for the six betfair boxes to be 8 ticks wide and have £200 in total is pretty meaningless
    Insubstantial but not insignificant.

It signifies that no one really knows.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    isam said:

chestnut said:

The desire to bomb Syria was borne of the terrorism in Paris wasn't it? The big danger to us must be British terrorists currently in Britain. What I find surprising/worrying are the lack of arrests/raids here
    I imagine that a great deal of this is kept out of the press only for it to be later reported that people have been convicted of plotting to bomb places like Westfield.
  • Options
    http://blogs.reuters.com/bernddebusmann/2012/02/11/betting-on-syria’s-assad-staying-in-power/

On February 9, Intrade gave a 31% chance to Assad being out of office by the end of June and a 58% chance that he would be out by December 31, 2012.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    isam said:

chestnut said:

We don't hear about all terror-related arrests and operations - for very good reasons. Lack of awareness does not mean that there is not a significant effort in these areas.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    isam said:

chestnut said:

Rest assured, a lack of publicity doesn't mean nothing is happening.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Are the Tories on a 3 line whip FOR btw ?

Just checking...

@Rcs1000 We shall see :)
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Ghedebrav said:

CON down below 15%

One, or maybe two out of four there.

I'm guessing you're a Lib Dem with the wishful thinking on the bottom two.
    I'm not a libdem, but I think reports of their death have been exaggerated.

I'm increasingly confident they will keep their deposit.
  • Options
    Wildy off topic, I can post from my MacBook, but on my iMac the site just spins round and asks me to log on yet again.

Is the ghost of Steve J trying to tell me something?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    @flightpath01 FPT

A Man for All Seasons =/= Nick Palmer

Check the film on wiki
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    It seems from the results so far from the poll,it's a recount with a Labour win ie PB is predicting a photo-finish with Labour ahead by a nostril,ukip not quite managing to get enough Tories to switch.The relative strength of the Tory vote will ensure a win for Jim McMahon-by a whisker.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

isam said:

chestnut said:

I imagine that a great deal of this is kept out of the press only for it to be later reported that people have been convicted of plotting to bomb places like Westfield.
    watford30 said:

isam said:

chestnut said:

isam said:

chestnut said:

We don't hear about all terror-related arrests and operations - for very good reasons. Lack of awareness does not mean that there is not a significant effort in these areas.
    Message understood!
  • Options

isam said:

justin124 said:

Insubstantial but not insignificant.

It signifies that no one really knows.
    None of the bookies taking a massive view either. Just making sure they aren't arbable with Betfair.
  • Options
    @bbclaurak: Big row brewing about Labour MP @LouHaigh tweeting about Security briefing - trying to get to bottom of what happened
  • Options
    If UKIP do win by a hair, can Corbyn blame the loss on the Stop The War march on Labour HQ?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/syria/12026280/David-Cameron-prepares-for-Syria-air-strikes-after-Jeremy-Corbyn-U-turn-live.html#update-20151201-1606

In a dramatic intervention on BBC Radio earlier today, Mr Corbyn singled out Mr Benn - who supports air strikes - and said that meant killing innocent people.
    Corbyn seems more bothered about killing innocent people in Syria than about innocent people being murdered here.
  • Options
    Mr. P, is that today's entry in Labour's Advent Calendar of Calamities?
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    AS we move away from the Paris attacks a little, perhaps a few more voters are looking with sympathy on Labour's Syria high minded chaos.

Late drift might be enough to get Corbyn over the line on Oldham.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,862
    Told John Baron has forced a vote in Foreign Affairs Committee 4,3 against strikes. Awkward for Cameron.
  • Options
    Retired Cambridge academic refuses to help Israeli girl with school project 'until there is peace in Palestine'

Dr Marsha Levine, an expert in horse domestication, told the 13-year-old that she would not answer her questions because she boycotts Israel

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/12027011/Retired-Cambridge-academic-refuses-to-help-Israeli-girl-with-school-project-until-there-is-peace-in-Palestine.html

And we wondered why approval of Corbynism was so high among this demographic...
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205

Scott_P said:

People in favour of peace using intimidation. No - surely not!

I wonder whether there's a chance that the vote will not go ahead or might be lost. Still, Labour will be pleased and they will have a message at last: Labour - the terrorists's friend.

• Options
    Cyclefree said:

Corbyn seems more bothered about killing innocent people in Syria than about innocent people being murdered here.

Well this is the man who would rather a suicide bomber was tickled with a feather duster than neutralized.
  • Options

Told John Baron has forced a vote in Foreign Affairs Committee 4,3 against strikes. Awkward for Cameron.

If Labour are having a free vote, why aren't the Tories?
  • Options

Isn't John Baron's case that we ought to be prepared to (theoretically) commit ground troops before we carry out air strikes? I have some sympathy with that, though I think air strikes on their own are better than abstaining at this juncture.
  • Options
    Oops

@make_trouble: The danger of the 'rush to tweet'. https://t.co/aXHGTt1GCo
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

If Mr Corbyn cares so much about finding a non-violent solution then I suggest he flies to Raqqa and speaks to ISIS directly to help find ways of getting them what they want through negotiation. I am sure that his reception there would be a memorable one ....
  • Options

I think the back bench Conservative vote is actually far freer than the Labour one...
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,862
    Cyclefree said:

Completely unfair comment.

Can you really not see the link between killing innocent people and the growth in people willing to kill innocents here.

How many wars have you already supported that have made matters worse like (Libya?)
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

I wouldn't characterise it in these terms but Hopi Sen has highlighted an important aspect of what's going on in Labour with the Syria vote:

Hopi Sen ‏@hopisen · 44m44 minutes ago
    Since nobody seems to have written it, couple of tweets on why what Corbyn team are trying to do on Syria vote is nasty dirty politics..

Hopi Sen ‏@hopisen · 41m41 minutes ago
    A free vote is an agreement to disagree. No punishments follow, no disloyalty, a promise from leadership that they accept MPs own choices..

Hopi Sen ‏@hopisen · 38m38 minutes ago
    To have a free vote, MPs have to have faith that to disagree on this issue is not seen as breach of trust or betrayal of loyalty.

Hopi Sen ‏@hopisen · 36m36 minutes ago
    But what Corbyn is doing is something entirely different. He is offering a poisoned free vote. MPs are technically unwhipped but know..

Hopi Sen ‏@hopisen · 35m35 minutes ago
    That from the leader there is no "agreement to disagree". He will not whip his agenda through Rosie W, but through Milne, the NEC & momentum

Hopi Sen ‏@hopisen · 32m32 minutes ago
    So Corbyn isn't offering MPs a truce, or accepting different views. He's saying he won't punish dissent by whips, but by other means.

Hopi Sen ‏@hopisen · 30m30 minutes ago
    Corbyn's not offering MPs a free vote. He's inviting them to rebel in the knowledge he'll use a different sort of whip if they do.

Hopi Sen ‏@hopisen · 5m5 minutes ago
    Another way to explain it:
    Under Corbyn, Rosie Winterton is "dignified" chief whip, but real whips are Milne, Lansman, Willsman, Fisher etc

As Corbyn says "they will have no hiding place"
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@bbclaurak: Big row brewing about Labour MP @LouHaigh tweeting about Security briefing - trying to get to bottom of what happened

If she's broken the OSA a chat with Plod would be in order.
  • Options

I think that Benn is setting himself up for a coronation. What other senior Labour figure has shown any form of leadership? If Corbyn goes then there is only one obvious successor.
  • Options
    Charles said:

@flightpath01 FPT

Check the film on wiki

Thomas Moore was not a hypocrite
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

How many wars have you already supported that have made matters worse like (Libya?)

Corbyn opposed the Falklands war - the junta might still be in power if we had followed his pusillanimous approach.
  • Options
    Paul Waugh ‏@paulwaugh · 1m1 minute ago
    The Leader of the Opposition's office estimates 100 Labour MPs could vote for Syria bombing. Tories expecting 50ish. I'm told real fig is 70

• Options
    Mr. Owls, if Gaddafi had been left unchecked, people would be criticising Cameron for not stopping genocide (and the country might have fallen to Islamists anyway).
  • Options
    Dan Hodges ‏@DPJHodges 2m2 minutes ago
    Jeremy Corbyn: "More than 75% of Labour party members have indicated they are opposed to air strikes". That's just a lie.

Afternoon all,

Popcorn replenished. Now it turns truly nasty.
  • Options
    edited December 2015

I think that Benn is setting himself up for a coronation. What other senior Labour figure has shown any form of leadership? If Corbyn goes then there is only one obvious successor.

Why will the Corbynite membership vote for someone who they can see is destabilising Corbyn? Look left, but loyal.
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    edited December 2015
    A man who boasts about betting against his party and his country. Truly SLAB is his home.

Absolutely no problem with someone making a profit. But boasting about it is deliberately antagonistic and shameless.
  • Options
    watford30 said:

Scott_P said:

If she's broken the OSA a chat with Plod would be in order.
    Too many tweets make a tw@t...Above all else, incredibly unprofessional. Not what you would expect of an MP in relation to incredibly sensitive matters.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I think the back bench Conservative vote is actually far freer than the Labour one...
    Might be in reality, but that's not how it will be seen.
  • Options
    watford30 said:

isam said:

chestnut said:

And also we are not proposing to bomb 'syria', we are bombing ISIS who are operating on the Syrian side of the Syria/Iraq border. We are already bombing ISIS in Iraq.
  • Options
    DearPBDearPB Posts: 439
    Pulpstar said:

Because the Conservative Party has a policy on bombing Syria.
  • Options

Incredible. And this is truly getting emotional and angry. Has there been anything like this in a long time? Last I can think of is the famous Healey speech at a party conference about the IMF.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,412

Charles said:

@flightpath01 FPT

Check the film on wiki

Thomas Moore was not a hypocrite
    The real Moore was - at his trial he objected to some evidence as hearsay. It was pointed out that it was the same kind of evidence that he had used to convict and burn heretics....
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MikeK said:
    How about you give us a list of marches and demonstrations in Europe about *any* subject that made the UK news.

300,000 Spaniards came out against "austerity" two years ago. And it merited not a single paragraph that I noticed.
    He is only interested in anything that slags of Muslims.
  • Options

Why will the Corbynite membership vote for someone who they can see is destabilising Corbyn? Look left, but loyal.

NB also I suspect voting against the Government on this will be a sine qua non for the next leader. Bet accordingly when the division lists come out.
  • Options

Thats only 7 of 11 members?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

If the shadow cabinet really wanted rid of Corbyn, they could whip the Syria vote in favour

They need to set up a shadow cabinet in exile.
  • Options

NB also I suspect voting against the Government on this will be a sine qua non for the next leader. Bet accordingly when the division lists come out.

What about the fence sitters ?
  • Options

That is a good point and it highlights the problem. Looked at that way Benn and Corbyn act as two centres around which the party can split. Benn is the de facto leader of the moderates and Corbyn gets the communists & hard-liners.

New "New Labour"?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,014

Cyclefree said:

Can you really not see the link between killing innocent people and the growth in people willing to kill innocents here.

(Snip)

I'm far from convinced that's the way it works. It's an excuse, but excuses are all Islamic terrorists have had from well before 9/11.

If we do not bomb, they'll just find something else as an excuse.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

William_H said:

Pulpstar said:

Danny565 said:

taffys said:

Yup.
    Labour are totally stuffed and will probably cease to exist in its present form, certainly in the form Ed Miliband left it, within 2 years.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,984
    edited December 2015
    Mrs C, the Neo-Labour splitters will never defeat the Paleo-Labour true believers!

Edited extra bit: most bitter civil war since the daleks?
  • Options

Exactly. This isn't about Syria anymore.
  • Options
    Mr. Jessop, indeed. Cartoons, for example.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

Cyclefree said:

(Snip)
    I'm far from convinced that's the way it works. It's an excuse, but excuses are all Islamic terrorists have had from well before 9/11.

If we do not bomb, they'll just find something else as an excuse.

Good afternoon all. You make an excellent point. We keep looking at Salafism as if it's somehow related to Western concepts - tit for tat, revenge and reprisal. Whereas the creed compels believers to make war on the infidel. We're an offence just by existing - we have to either convert or die. I doubt we'll ever comprehend.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

We're bombing their 'brothers' in Iraq right now, Owls. They hate us already. Seven plots foiled this year, Brussels on lock down not to mention Paris.

They hate and despise us already, @bigjohnowls.
  • Options

Exactly. This isn't about Syria anymore.

Labour are totally pacifist then, even if it has to be beaten into them.
This discussion has been closed.