Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Corbyn’s activist army as well as the new leader will be on

SystemSystem Posts: 11,687
edited November 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Corbyn’s activist army as well as the new leader will be on trial in Oldham on December 3rd

The results of today’s election of committee chairs by LAB MPs highlights the massive gulf between the parliamentary party and the new leader. As George Eaton in the Staggers reports the outcome was a triumph for the right.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,214
    First! (?)
  • Options
    Repost from previous thread:
    Lennon said:

It would also help a lot if Government learnt how to draft legislation that is clear and limited in scope - not woolly generic rubbish that the police can then take and apply as widely as they fancy at any point in time. (cf Psychoactive Substances Bill as the latest and most egregious example)

The problem is that there needs to be a balance between precision and generality, otherwise people would find loopholes and legislation would need to be constantly updated. I agree that some legislation is worryingly vague, however. In particular, I know the Computer Misuse Act 1990 is kind of scary in how ridiculously general it is.

Many of the problems have been caused by several successive authoritarian governments from Thatcher onwards, each introducing more government powers and putting more restrictions on people's freedoms. I find it particularly frustrating as the current Conservative Party leadership have at times given lip-service to the idea of "freedom" while being as bad, if not worse, in introducing policies that restrict individual freedoms and increasing government powers.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    Dan again

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/11976889/If-people-cant-protest-peacefully-they-shouldnt-be-allowed-to-protest-at-all.html
    Tonight's anti-austerity 'Million Mask March' is almost certain to descend into kicking, punching, screaming and smashing. That's not striking the balance between the right to political expression and the right to live in an ordered society
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,214
    Oliver_PB said:

Lennon said:

It would also help a lot if Government learnt how to draft legislation that is clear and limited in scope - not woolly generic rubbish that the police can then take and apply as widely as they fancy at any point in time. (cf Psychoactive Substances Bill as the latest and most egregious example)

The problem is that there needs to be a balance between precision and generality, otherwise people would find loopholes and legislation would need to be constantly updated. I agree that some legislation is worryingly vague, however. In particular, I know the Computer Misuse Act 1990 is kind of scary in how ridiculously general it is.

Many of the problems have been caused by several successive authoritarian governments from Thatcher onwards, each introducing more government powers and putting more restrictions on people's freedoms. I find it particularly frustrating as the current Conservative Party leadership have at times given lip-service to the idea of "freedom" while being as bad, if not worse, in introducing policies that restrict individual freedoms and increasing government powers.
    Well, I'm going to repost too.

At the risk of being controversial, why should causing distress and anxiety be a criminal offence? (As opposed to bloody bad manners.)

There is too much legislation which is rushed in in response to a few cases and which seems to operate on the basis that the law - and only the law - should be used to get rid of anything bad in society. It's a fundamentally infantile view and a worrying trend, IMO.

And now have to go off to do some work. Will check in later.

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798
    edited November 2015
    Surely the problem with the Oldham by-election is that like with most safe seats, it probably won't be a test or trial of anyone? Even with a lack of organization or internal division messing it up, they should still win, and given parties use comfortable wins in their own safe seats as examples of how 'the nation' is rejecting their opponents, a win of any stripe will be presented as validation even if UKIP run them closer than they would like or feel should be occurring.

I know you point out they have had problems in the past with seats like this as winning has been so easy they don't have certain structures in place to really fight it, but we're not seeing, yet, proof that electorally non-Corbynites will abandon the party or stay home have we? So lacking the organisation fight, at this point, doesn't seem like it will come to haunt them to me. They should treat it like a trial and fight it tooth and nail, but they can probably get away with it (granted I said this about Ed M's 35% strategy and was wrong).

There's always the example of Scotland I suppose, where the chickens all came home to roost at once for Labour

So really the only interesting results would be a UKIP win, which seems against the run of play at present on top of all the Labour strengths in the seat, or a Labour win so massive no-one could credibly use the size of victory to undermine Corbyn, but probably it will be comfortable enough to not worry the party elite, with only a little evidence for the old guard to grumble upon.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited November 2015
    'how powerful a electoral force is represented by the new members? '

Good point - It will be interesting to see if Corbynites can make the transition from a force on social media to bums off seats and real knocking up. - Some will, but most will not IMO.
  • Options
    edited November 2015

Dan again

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/11976889/If-people-cant-protest-peacefully-they-shouldnt-be-allowed-to-protest-at-all.html

Tonight's anti-austerity 'Million Mask March' is almost certain to descend into kicking, punching, screaming and smashing. That's not striking the balance between the right to political expression and the right to live in an ordered society
    “But, but, but”, wail the organisers of these protests, “it wasn’t that bad. There were only a handful of arrests. It was only a few idiots. The vast majority of the marchers were peaceful”.

Tough. There are too many arrests. There are too many idiots. Not enough marchers are acting peacefully.

I don't necessarily agree with his conclusions, but it does seem notable that if you told people there will be violence and arrests (by a small minority, of course) at every single one of these types of events, some will defend the action as justified, some will deflect onto the disproportionate response of the police, some will go the route Dan has, but absolutely no one will be surprised that it happened in the first place. It is expected, and thus accepted, to a certain degree.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,308
    Just caught up with PMQs. Cameron is starting to raise the dismissive element of his answers to Corbyn.

Very grown up questions from Angus Robertson. He is doing well in this enhanced role.

There was also a question which claimed that the UK has a larger Internet industry than any G20 country amounting to 12.4% of our GDP. Is this right? Seems remarkably high.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''Tough. There are too many arrests. There are too many idiots. Not enough marchers are acting peacefully.''

The whole idea of masks is to commit illegal acts with impunity. Police should be able to insist the identity of all marchers in any march can be immediately ascertained. That includes Burqhas and Niqabs when you are marching. Or no march.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Dan again

“But, but, but”, wail the organisers of these protests, “it wasn’t that bad. There were only a handful of arrests. It was only a few idiots. The vast majority of the marchers were peaceful”.

Tough. There are too many arrests. There are too many idiots. Not enough marchers are acting peacefully.

I don't necessarily agree with his conclusions, but it does seem notable that if you told people there will be violence and arrests (by a small minority, of course) at every single one of these types of events, some will defend the action as justified, some will deflect onto the disproportionate response of the police, some will go the route Dan has, but absolutely no one will be surprised that it happened in the first place. It is expected, and thus accepted, to a certain degree.
    Or you simply accept that some violence, damage and arrests will likely happen and that it's simply an unfortunate but inevitable side-effect of the freedom to protest, which should be a fundamental part of our society and values.

Plenty of other personal freedoms have unfortunate side-effects, that doesn't mean they should necessarily be curbed.
  • Options
    Sketch writers generally seem to think Cameron is playing PMQs on Easy.
    DavidL said:

Just caught up with PMQs. Cameron is starting to raise the dismissive element of his answers to Corbyn.

Very grown up questions from Angus Robertson. He is doing well in this enhanced role.

There was also a question which claimed that the UK has a larger Internet industry than any G20 country amounting to 12.4% of our GDP. Is this right? Seems remarkably high.

• Options
    edited November 2015
    Oliver_PB said:

kle4 said:

Dan again

Or you simply accept that some violence, damage and arrests will likely happen and that it's simply an unfortunate but inevitable side-effect of the freedom to protest, which should be a fundamental part of our society and values.

Plenty of other personal freedoms have unfortunate side-effects, that doesn't mean they should necessarily be curbed.

As I said, I didn't agree with his conclusions. I do, however, think that the frequency of damage and arrests may not need to be as inevitable as we accept it to be. Simply curbing rights in response would, I think, be disproportionate, and the level of violence, while unfortunate, is not at a level I think at this point measures should be taken, but I think there can come a point where certain behaviours are so expected we might end up not condemning them, and so exacerbate them. We already see people defend, indirectly or directly, or excuse such behaviours. I think in the absence of curbing rights, we need to just focus on continuing to make a big deal our of how unacceptable it is, so that it does not become more accepted than it already is. Every time it happens, and however small it is in proportion to the body of the protest, those that hijack it or abuse it, need to be condemned as seriously as the last time.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,308
    Cyclefree said:

Oliver_PB said:

Lennon said:

At the risk of being controversial, why should causing distress and anxiety be a criminal offence? (As opposed to bloody bad manners.)

There is too much legislation which is rushed in in response to a few cases and which seems to operate on the basis that the law - and only the law - should be used to get rid of anything bad in society. It's a fundamentally infantile view and a worrying trend, IMO.

And now have to go off to do some work. Will check in later.

I think this is quite difficult and requires very clear definition of terms. In Scotland we had a common law offence of breach of the peace for centuries which basically involved causing fear and alarm in the lieges.

Someone shouting abuse at someone in the street is committing an offence and we are entitled to assume that the State will intervene when distress or alarm is caused. The problem is when we move away from that form of distress to people saying that someone saying something that they don't agree with and is not addressed at them is offensive and should be stopped. As a broad principle I disagree with this and really dislike legislation which seeks to have that effect.

OTOH I also recognise that some of that "free speech" might properly be regarded as incitement to violence or racial or religious hatred and that is wrong too. My own inclination would be to very narrowly define incitement giving due cognisance to the fact that we are all responsible for our individual actions regardless of what anyone else says but to accept that there are cases at the extremes where vulnerable or just plain stupid people can be led astray and those that do that should accept the consequences.
  • Options
    "Help me, Obi-Wan Corbyn! You're my only hope!"
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,946

Dan again

I've long thought that the way to solve this is to get people attending to put a quid into a bucket and so pay for the policing.
  • Options
    taffys said:

The whole idea of masks is to commit illegal acts with impunity. Police should be able to insist the identity of all marchers in any march can be immediately ascertained. That includes Burqhas and Niqabs when you are marching. Or no march.

I emphatically disagree. I feel people should be free to protest, or do anything else legal, without having to reveal their identity to anybody. I find it incredibly worrying that people are disputing that basic notion and are perfectly willing to give up that basic freedom. You shouldn't presume people will act illegally.

I don't see it as being that far from anonymity on the Internet, a freedom I've long taken for granted, even if that doesn't lead to "accountability" for my comments... even if that freedom leads to some nasty remarks and other unpleasantness.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    ''I feel people should be free to protest, or do anything else legal, without having to reveal their identity to anybody.''

Your identity would only matter if you committed a crime, as has always been the case, Otherwise your attendance at a march would be forgotten completely. Unless you are a conspiracy theorist of course, believing in some state within a state and disregarding the fact we have some of the best legal protections anywhere.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898
    edited November 2015
    Afternoon all. I see the cricket went down as expected and that the RAF are airlifting Brits out of Sharm. Good luck to all involved in the latter.

On topic, this by-election represents UKIPs best chance in a year to get themselves together and challenge Corbyn's Labour, who have done their best to alienate the WWC demographic of the seat. Can't see anything but a Labour win though, unless one of Galloway's people can split the Muslim vote in half.
  • Options
    Oliver_PB said:

taffys said:

I emphatically disagree. I feel people should be free to protest, or do anything else legal, without having to reveal their identity to anybody. I find it incredibly worrying that people are disputing that basic notion and are perfectly willing to give up that basic freedom. You shouldn't presume people will act illegally.

I don't see it as being that far from anonymity on the Internet, a freedom I've long taken for granted, even if that doesn't lead to "accountability" for my comments... even if that freedom leads to some nasty remarks and other unpleasantness.
    Anonymity is quite a modern notion, really, caused by mass population. But then so is mass surveillance.

I think the masks are very poor show in the context of a mass protest which traditionally has some inherent levels of violence. How would you feel if police covered up their badge numbers?

• Options
    Mortimer said:

Dan again

I've long thought that the way to solve this is to get people attending to put a quid into a bucket and so pay for the policing.

I hope you're joking?

It feels like something from a comedy sketch: "You can protest against poverty and bureaucracy once you've applied for your £25 protest pass which takes 4-6 to weeks to process".
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    edited November 2015
    Kettle any marchers wearing masks. They're normally the agitators out to commit illegal acts, else they wouldn't be trying to hide their identities.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,007
    Hello: can I just comment on the last thread on the KFC story. @Indigo is absolutely right: KFC is almost entirely franchised. So, the parent company (Yum! Brands) doesn't own many KFC stores directly, but has franchise agreements with other firms who own and run the restaurants.

I do not know whether the franchise agreement with Yum requires KFC franchisees to carry all menu items. It is entirely possible (even probable) it does not.

In which case, this is a staggeringly uninteresting story. "Yum franchisee attempts to boost profits by not carrying certain menu item".

As an aside, in the mid 1990s I had a girlfriend in Golders Green. We used to occasionally go the Burger King there (usually after the pub), and I always thought it interesting that it didn't carry any of the "with bacon" options. (The Burger King in question was also, almost certainly, a franchise.)
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    Oliver_PB said:

taffys said:

I find myself in unlikely agreement with Oliver. If I want to wear a scarf at a protest, why the bloody hell shouldn't I? Maybe it's cold!

This country needs to pull it's collective thumb from it's arse and recognise and cherish the freedoms we have (or, as the downs' joke illustrated, had).
  • Options
    Oliver_PB said:

Mortimer said:

Dan again

I hope you're joking?

It feels like something from a comedy sketch: "You can protest against poverty and bureaucracy once you've applied for your £25 protest pass which takes 4-6 to weeks to process".

Good grief, what hand wringing.

This isn't the Jarrow marchers. This is people who have paid to travel to the event. What would an extra pound difference make, other than legitimising their otherwise awkward and costly presence with a commercial transaction.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898
    edited November 2015
    Freedom of speech and freedom to protest against the government are absolute rights that must be respected in a free democracy.

Deliberately damaging property and inciting violence are rightly illegal, the police are there to ensure order and to take action against those who don't wish to behave.
  • Options
    A novel approach to modern policing :smiley:
    Police held sheep identity parades for farmers from three counties whose ewes had gone missing, a court has heard.

A total of 14 farmers from both sides of the Pennines, in North Yorkshire, Cumbria and County Durham, identified 116 sheep as belonging to them, a jury heard.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/11977677/Farmers-identify-missing-sheep-in-ID-parade.html
  • Options
    They're normally the agitators out to commit illegal acts, else they wouldn't be trying to hide their identities.

The others wearing masks are the credulous idiots who believe the conspiracy theories about the 'state within a state stuff' and that they'll be executed on Dartmoor by Jason Bourne.

'Operation Treadstone' innit.
  • Options
    Oliver_PBOliver_PB Posts: 397
    edited November 2015
    Mortimer said:

I think the masks are very poor show in the context of a mass protest which traditionally has some inherent levels of violence. How would you feel if police covered up their badge numbers?

Police have powers over and above the average person, so it's not exactly a comparable situation.
    taffys said:

'
    Your identity would only matter if you committed a crime, as has always been the case, Otherwise your attendance at a march would be forgotten completely. Unless you are a conspiracy theorist of course, believing in some state within a state and disregarding the fact we have some of the best legal protections anywhere.

I disagree.

I dislike the "you've got nothing to hide" argument, especially since you're working under the assumption that the state will always be good when you're eroding a fundamental right. And, of course, others may have a different view of the state to yours!

Also, your identity in this post doesn't matter as you haven't committed a crime. Do you mind posting a name, address and photo of yourself? I'm certainly not willing to do so! We've had this argument over stop-and-search and ID cards and such like. If you're not doing anything wrong or illegal then you shouldn't have to prove anything to anybody.

I've long thought about the fact that the protests akin to the Tiananmen Square ones would be illegal in the UK. The crackdown would be obviously different, but it's still quite a sad situation when you think about it in those terms, as we tend to think of our governmental system as being so much better than the Chinese state and our populous far freer than people in China.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited November 2015
    rcs1000 said:

Hello: can I just comment on the last thread on the KFC story. @Indigo is absolutely right: KFC is almost entirely franchised. So, the parent company (Yum! Brands) doesn't own many KFC stores directly, but has franchise agreements with other firms who own and run the restaurants.

I do not know whether the franchise agreement with Yum requires KFC franchisees to carry all menu items. It is entirely possible (even probable) it does not.

In which case, this is a staggeringly uninteresting story. "Yum franchisee attempts to boost profits by not carrying certain menu item".

As an aside, in the mid 1990s I had a girlfriend in Golders Green. We used to occasionally go the Burger King there (usually after the pub), and I always thought it interesting that it didn't carry any of the "with bacon" options. (The Burger King in question was also, almost certainly, a franchise.)

It is part of KFC business model / strategy to have a proportion of their franchised chain cater for people for whom halal certified chicken and no pork products is important. It isn't some secret nor new, even the Daily Mail article that spawned the debate acknowledges this.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

It is part of KFC business model / strategy to have a proportion of their franchised chain cater for people for whom halal certified chicken and no pork products is important.
    It's almost as though their goal as a business is to maximise their profits.
  • Options
    ''I dislike the "you've got nothing to hide" argument, especially since you're working under the assumption that the state will always be good when you're eroding a fundamental right. And, of course, others may have a different view of the state to yours!''

I do not see how anyone can argue that the UK does not have the best legal protections for the individual that have ever existed in any society, anywhere and at any time.

But hey, if you want to believe you're one of the names in the Blackbriar file, and that Matt Damon has just been handed the brown envelope with your black and white mugshot, that's your right I guess.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    taffys said:

They're normally the agitators out to commit illegal acts, else they wouldn't be trying to hide their identities.

The others wearing masks are the credulous idiots who believe the conspiracy theories about the 'state within a state stuff' and that they'll be executed on Dartmoor by Jason Bourne.

Ok. Then it's the job of the police and security services to identify ringleader and other seditious crusties. The fact that a minority are f*ckwits should not mean others can't wear what they want, however foolish I think it is.

"Nothing to hide and nothing to fear" is the clarion call of creeping authoritarianism the world over. Anyone using it can take a very long walk off a short pier. I'm happy to stand behind them with a cattle prod to speed them along.
  • Options
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Odd weather. Overcast, pissing it down, yet far warmer than such a November day ought to be.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Oliver_PB said:

Lennon said:

Perhaps lawyers' first instinct when faced with something they don't like is to reach for the law. Mrs Thatcher and Tony Blair were both lawyers; Wilson, Heath, Callaghan, Major, Brown and Cameron were not.
  • Options
    taffys said:

I do not see how anyone can argue that the UK does not have the best legal protections for the individual that have ever existed in any society, anywhere and at any time.

You could have literally said the same thing at the time of the Suffragettes.
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    edited November 2015
    Anorak said:

taffys said:

Ok. Then it's the job of the police and security services to identify ringleader and other seditious crusties. The fact that a minority are f*ckwits should not mean others can't wear what they want, however foolish I think it is.

A scarf is one thing, a mask another. To be on the safe side, assume anyone hiding their face is running the show, kettle them, and identify on the way out. If it's chilly, wet and they start crying after 3 or 4 hours, that's tough.

I've been on marches and never felt the need to cover up my identity. Those that did, normally had a reason to hide. They were wrong uns. Or paranoid.

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,931
    Oliver_PB said:

rcs1000 said:

It is part of KFC business model / strategy to have a proportion of their franchised chain cater for people for whom halal certified chicken and no pork products is important.
    It's almost as though their goal as a business is to maximise their profits.
    It's almost as though no one ever disputed that
  • Options
    Actually, if you ticketed such events, the Corbynist/stop the war/SWP tykes on my Facebook feed could be disproven when they claim 1/60th to 1/30th of the entire U.K. Population turned up to protest when it is clearly in the low hundreds of thousands at most...

Thanks for the idea!
  • Options
    watford30 said:

Assume anyone wearing a mask is running the show, kettle them, and identify them on the way out. If they get cold, wet and start crying after 3 or 4 hours, that's tough.

In my view, kettling tactics should be outright banned.

I once accidentally got caught up in the middle of a protest in central London near Trafalgar Square, and I ended up being kettled for a relatively short period of time (30 minutes to an hour maybe?) and found it rather unpleasant. I can't imagine being trapped for hours.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @dylsharpe: Aaaaand this may spell the end of Corbyn's public-submitted emails PMQs experiment https://t.co/2DJQO0TgTR Top digging @jimwaterson
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    watford30 said:

Anorak said:

taffys said:

Assume anyone wearing a mask is running the show, kettle them, and identify them on the way out. If it's chilly, wet and they start crying after 3 or 4 hours, that's tough.
    That was certainly my reaction when a group arrived at my door the other night wearing masks and demanding I hand over stuff. The 31st October, if memory serves.

There were certainly tears, as you suggest, when I locked the buggers in the shed for a few hours.
  • Options
    Mr. Oliver, even if there's a riot that could be prevented by kettling?
  • Options
    @IsabelHardman: David Cameron is our parliamentarian of the year at the Spectator awards https://t.co/nG8fRxxjRv
  • Options
    watford30 said:

Anorak said:

taffys said:

A scarf is one thing, a mask another. To be on the safe side, assume anyone hiding their face is running the show, kettle them, and identify on the way out. If it's chilly, wet and they start crying after 3 or 4 hours, that's tough.

I've been on marches and never felt the need to cover up my identity. Those that did, normally had a reason to hide. They were wrong uns. Or paranoid.

What about neckerchiefs pulled up to the nose? Or the poor, misused balaclava? I don't know that someone could wear a balaclava and not make people think they are up to no good, despite being very effective on very cold days.
  • Options
    Mr. kle4, as a child I owned a balaclava. Not seen one, or owned one, for decades though.
  • Options
    http://order-order.com/2015/11/05/sexy-socialist-mayor-wants-to-ban-driving/

Well it worked in Athens....oh wait...the car dealers will be pleased though.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    kle4 said:

watford30 said:

Anorak said:

taffys said:

What about neckerchiefs pulled up to the nose? Or the poor, misused balaclava? I don't know that someone could wear a balaclava and not make people think they are up to no good, despite being very effective on very cold days.
    It's those utter bastards in snoods you have to watch out for. Snoods and sunglasses basically means they have a cellar full of dead Tory voters and bankers. *DO NOT APPROACH*
  • Options
    edited November 2015

Mr. Oliver, even if there's a riot that could be prevented by kettling?

Then, admittedly, it gets more complicated. Perhaps the police should need to declare some sort of emergency status to permit its use? It certainly should not be a common tactic.
  • Options
    What's a snood?
    Anorak said:

kle4 said:

watford30 said:

Anorak said:

taffys said:

It's those utter bastards in snoods you have to watch out for. Snoods and sunglasses basically means they have a cellar full of dead Tory voters and bankers. *DO NOT APPROACH*
  • Options

What's a snood?

Anorak said:

kle4 said:

watford30 said:

Anorak said:

taffys said:

What I'm wearing now.
  • Options

What's a snood?

Anorak said:

kle4 said:

watford30 said:

Anorak said:

taffys said:

I think they are those not quite scarf, not quite neckerchief things that go round the neck loosely. I seem to recall them popping around the necks of a few footballers a few years back, and people suggesting they could be a health hazard as well as just ridiculous.
  • Options
    Like a leg warmer but round your neck?
    kle4 said:

What's a snood?

Anorak said:

kle4 said:

watford30 said:

Anorak said:

taffys said:

I think they are those not quite scarf, not quite neckerchief things that go round the neck loosely. I seem to recall them popping around the necks of a few footballers a few years back, and people suggesting they could be a health hazard as well as just ridiculous.
  • Options
    edited November 2015

What's a snood?

Anorak said:

kle4 said:

watford30 said:

Anorak said:

taffys said:

A hoop-shaped scarf, basically. Handy when skiing. You can pull them up over your nose. Here are some nancy boy footballers wearing them.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1337623/Arsenal-boss-Arsene-Wenger-My-boys-snoods-suffer-bad-necks.html

And a definite crim: http://images.esellerpro.com/2152/I/842/13/lrgXS2602-3_1600.jpg
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    rcs1000 said:

I think the concern is the social changes that cause this to happen. In some areas, an increasingly large share of the population has very reactionary religious views in terms of dietary matters, and that's starting to affect the choices available to the rest of the population. Equally, in some areas of the country large scale Muslim immigration has caused a dearth of pubs. Is this the sort of cultural enrichment that we're supposed to be celebrating?
  • Options
    Ah - I'm getting the dead bankers and Tories thing now - the stupid half masks and dark glasses with red/black flags?

Like Ali G with death threats?
    Anorak said:

What's a snood?

Anorak said:

kle4 said:

watford30 said:

Anorak said:

taffys said:

A hoop-shaped scarf, basically. Handy when skiing. You can pull them up over your nose. Here are some nancy boy footballers wearing them.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1337623/Arsenal-boss-Arsene-Wenger-My-boys-snoods-suffer-bad-necks.html

And a definite crim: http://images.esellerpro.com/2152/I/842/13/lrgXS2602-3_1600.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2015

Ah - I'm getting the dead bankers and Tories thing now - the stupid half masks and dark glasses with red/black flags?

Like Ali G with death threats?

Anorak said:

What's a snood?

Anorak said:

kle4 said:

watford30 said:

Anorak said:

taffys said:

Well really I was saying it's utterly dumb to assume anyone with a hidden face is an anarchist with a petrol bomb. Which was Watfords view. Sarcasm and text comments are not a happy mix, sometimes!
  • Options
    Mr. JEO, the muppet Mark Easton (BBC editor of home affairs or similar) reckoned a short time ago that white flight was a sign of success.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@IsabelHardman: David Cameron is our parliamentarian of the year at the Spectator awards https://t.co/nG8fRxxjRv

Why? What's he done in parliament that is remarkable?
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    JEO said:

rcs1000 said:

I think the concern is the social changes that cause this to happen. In some areas, an increasingly large share of the population has very reactionary religious views in terms of dietary matters, and that's starting to affect the choices available to the rest of the population. Equally, in some areas of the country large scale Muslim immigration has caused a dearth of pubs. Is this the sort of cultural enrichment that we're supposed to be celebrating?
    That's similar to how I feel about the local newly built Waitrose.

I can only imagine how you feel about Corbyn, being a vegetarian tee-totaller. Think of how that's going to effect people's choices, and its effect on pubs! Outrageous!
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Speaking of crime and punishment

Muslim who threatened to behead UKIP candidate sentenced & only gets community order - BBC https://t.co/b7OBUtRrv2
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Performed well enough to secure a majority which only 0.01% of the country thought was possible (well done, Rod). Where is Rod?
  • Options

Muslim who threatened to behead UKIP candidate sentenced & only gets community order https://t.co/b7OBUtRrv2

If that women gets chokey for a joke after THAT, then I shall utterly despair.
  • Options
    Oliver_PB said:

taffys said:

There is a reason why political uniforms are banned; it's because they are a clear attempt to intimidate. Taking to the streets in large numbers, with faces covered, amounts to the same thing.

I general, I'm very much pro freedom of speech, including freedom to give offense providing that doesn't tip into incitement to violence or lawbreaking (though incitement to hatred should be permitted - sanctions there should be social, not legal). However, that freedom must itself come with checks and balances, and it the right to associate and demonstrate is to be protected then I don't think it's unreasonable that those doing so are required to be identifiable.

FWIW, I'm very much in two minds about whether face covering should be permitted in public at all. On the one hand, it's not the sort of thing which the state has got involved in in the past and would represent an infringement of liberty. On the other, it seems that most who go in for that are either oppressed themselves or wish to seek to oppress others, or both.
  • Options
    Mr. Anorak, if you're referring to the KillAllWhiteMen issue, I believe that is proceeding no further.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Scott_P said:

Performed well enough to secure a majority which only 0.01% of the country thought was possible (well done, Rod). Where is Rod?
    Politician of the year, maybe, for being re-elected against the odds (did Major win in 92?) but parliamentarian?
  • Options

Mr. Anorak, if you're referring to the KillAllWhiteMen issue, I believe that is proceeding no further.

Nope, the downs syndrome joke which was mentioned earlier. But your example would also have served.
  • Options
    ''If that women gets chokey for a joke after THAT, then I shall utterly despair. ''

Anybody who thinks there's one rule for muslims and one for the rest of us should take a moment to note that is a central plank of UKIP's argument, as iterated the other day in Israel by Paul Nuttall.
  • Options

Oliver_PB said:

taffys said:

There is a reason why political uniforms are banned; it's because they are a clear attempt to intimidate. Taking to the streets in large numbers, with faces covered, amounts to the same thing.

I general, I'm very much pro freedom of speech, including freedom to give offense providing that doesn't tip into incitement to violence or lawbreaking (though incitement to hatred should be permitted - sanctions there should be social, not legal). However, that freedom must itself come with checks and balances, and it the right to associate and demonstrate is to be protected then I don't think it's unreasonable that those doing so are required to be identifiable.

FWIW, I'm very much in two minds about whether face covering should be permitted in public at all. On the one hand, it's not the sort of thing which the state has got involved in in the past and would represent an infringement of liberty. On the other, it seems that most who go in for that are either oppressed themselves or wish to seek to oppress others, or both.
    As often, DH expresses my own beliefs better than I ever could!
  • Options
    Mr. Anorak, I checked back and saw the headline.

Such comments are disgraceful and repugnant, and it's shocking that someone should face the prospect of jail for that. What is freedom of speech if not the freedom to say things that go beyond what others consider the pail? Unless the individual in question was inciting people to kill others or commit similar crimes, it seems abhorrent, even for coming out with such horrendous views, that she might be imprisoned.

In the same way, I recall Frankie Boyle making a joke about a child with Down's[sp]. I find that repugnant, (likewise rape jokes) but it is not for the state to dictate which jokes are permissible.
  • Options
    edited November 2015

I general, I'm very much pro freedom of speech, including freedom to give offense providing that doesn't tip into incitement to violence or lawbreaking (though incitement to hatred should be permitted - sanctions there should be social, not legal). However, that freedom must itself come with checks and balances, and it the right to associate and demonstrate is to be protected then I don't think it's unreasonable that those doing so are required to be identifiable

For one long-held freedom to continue abated, another long-held freedom must be strictly curtailed based on some very dubious grounds and rationalisations. Got it.
    So, essentially, you want to remove a freedom because you don't like how some people use it?

It really, really doesn't sound like you're remotely "very much pro freedom of speech" or remotely pro-"liberty" to me. If anything, it sounds the opposite, like a normal right-wing authoritarian, who is happy with all speech as long as it's the right sort of speech from the right sort of people.
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    On the one hand, it's not the sort of thing which the state has got involved in in the past and would represent an infringement of liberty

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Act
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    I wonder if we are not looking at this protest thing through the wrong end of the telescope. The law sets out a number of things that society, through Parliament, has said we must not do on pain of punishment. It is the job of the police to enforce those laws.

I may walk down the street with my face covered if I want to. I may not use offensive words and behaviour with intent to cause a breach of the peace or whereby a breach of the peace is likely to be occasioned, or assault any other person or damage someone else's property. If I attempt to do any of those things then it is the duty of the police to stop me and to put me before a court of law if I succeed.

The present argument seems to be occasioned because the police are trying to duck out of doing their duty. If Plod is incapable of, or, more likely, too incompetent to, do the job they are paid to do then that is an issue we should deal with. Perhaps we could start by looking at the vastly inflated salaries paid to senior police officers and their civilian hangers on.
  • Options
    Matt the other day was brilliant re Guy Fawkes and interwebs http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/matt/?cartoon=11970833&cc=11971107
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,037

Bans on face coverings are a difficult issue. For one, I often wear a balaclava whilst I'm out walking in winter. I've worn this in towns and even along the Regent's Canal through London early one morning with no problems (*). It is a warm and cosily functional piece of clothing. Why should I not be able to wear it when I have a reason to and I am doing no harm? Further, why should people be forced to view my face when I could have the hideousness safely hidden away? ;)

Then there is the definitional problem: what is a 'face covering' and what is not? What is 'in public' ?

Then there is the issue of exclusion.

(The following relates to headscarves, not face coverings, but illustrates the exclusion point)

Turkey has a law banning headscarves from public institutions, including schools and universities. Few will have issues with the schools, but people at university are supposed to be adults. By banning them in universities, some women who might attend and get a higher education do not.

Is it right for them to be excluded, when they have made a choice to wear headscarves as adults?

If we go down the road of banning face coverings, we need to be aware of the likely consequences and problems it will cause. This is not a reason for not doing it; but it is a reason not to do it without considering the consequences.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headscarf_controversy_in_Turkey

(*) This was before 9/11 or the 7/7.
  • Options
    Mr. Jessop, I could've sworn that Erdogan axed that ban.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited November 2015
    Sam Burgess leaves Bath to rejoin South Sydney Rabbitohs

Been terribly messed about. Your a forward, no a back, no a forward, yes definitely a forward, now come and play for England in the backs....
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    ''If anything, it sounds the opposite, like a normal right-wing authoritarian, who is happy with all speech as long as it's the right sort of speech from the right sort of people. ''

There have been dozens of marches by anti-tory demonstrators since May 2015, without a word of protest on this site from even the most right wing poster. Your point is completely without merit or evidence.

And this is the point isn't it? Nobody's listening. All these marches are failing spectacularly to arouse popular sympathy in the slightest.

And so an escalation is required to get people to notice. And this 'mask' protest, with its amorphous aims and intimidatory tactics, represents that escalation.
  • Options
    Balaclavas were only worn by those in cold conditions or IRAers generally. Those Guy Fawkes masks were worn by a few like Old Holborn in his memorable shot with coppers outside HoP years ago.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_V5jYS8eezmU/Sq4JeyzD2oI/AAAAAAAABgE/tln6o6EuhQk/s400/G20-Protests-G20-Protest--003.jpg

Bar the IRA, it all seemed fairly harmless - now it's gone way too far IMHO - it's intimidating, hiding identity by default and used to threaten a la Anonymous.

snip

Bans on face coverings are a difficult issue. For one, I often wear a balaclava whilst I'm out walking in winter. I've worn this in towns and even along the Regent's Canal through London early one morning with no problems (*). It is a warm and cosily functional piece of clothing. Why should I not be able to wear it when I have a reason to and I am doing no harm? Further, why should people be forced to view my face when I could have the hideousness safely hidden away? ;)

Then there is the definitional problem: what is a 'face covering' and what is not? What is 'in public' ?

Then there is the issue of exclusion.

(The following relates to headscarves, not face coverings, but illustrates the exclusion point)

Turkey has a law banning headscarves from public institutions, including schools and universities. Few will have issues with the schools, but people at university are supposed to be adults. By banning them in universities, some women who might attend and get a higher education do not.

Is it right for them to be excluded, when they have made a choice to wear headscarves as adults?

If we go down the road of banning face coverings, we need to be aware of the likely consequences and problems it will cause. This is not a reason for not doing it; but it is a reason not to do it without considering the consequences.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headscarf_controversy_in_Turkey

(*) This was before 9/11 or the 7/7.
  • Options
    Oliver_PB said:

I general, I'm very much pro freedom of speech, including freedom to give offense providing that doesn't tip into incitement to violence or lawbreaking (though incitement to hatred should be permitted - sanctions there should be social, not legal). However, that freedom must itself come with checks and balances, and it the right to associate and demonstrate is to be protected then I don't think it's unreasonable that those doing so are required to be identifiable

For one long-held freedom to continue abated, another long-held freedom must be strictly curtailed based on some very dubious grounds and rationalisations. Got it.
    So, essentially, you want to remove a freedom because you don't like how some people use it?

It really, really doesn't sound like you're remotely "very much pro freedom of speech" or remotely pro-"liberty" to me. If anything, it sounds the opposite, like a normal right-wing authoritarian, who is happy with all speech as long as it's the right sort of speech from the right sort of people.

Mr. PB, a little bit of history for you, the original Public Order Act (the one that banned the wearing of political uniforms in public and made the display of any written sign or use of language that was likely to cause a breach of the peace an offence) was brought in because of the activities of Mosley's Black Shirts.

The UK has a long tradition of updating its laws to take into account of current events. The arguments you expose could have been, and probably were, deployed against the introduction of the Public Order Act 1936. I am not saying that said arguments were wrong then or now, merely that changing the law to match current accepted thought (or at least thought accepted by the current political elite) is not new.
  • Options
    Oliver_PB said:

Mr. PB, a little bit of history for you, the original Public Order Act (the one that banned the wearing of political uniforms in public and made the display of any written sign or use of language that was likely to cause a breach of the peace an offence) was brought in because of the activities of Mosley's Black Shirts.

The UK has a long tradition of updating its laws to take into account of current events. The arguments you expose could have been, and probably were, deployed against the introduction of the Public Order Act 1936. I am not saying that said arguments were wrong then or now, merely that changing the law to match current accepted thought (or at least thought accepted by the current political elite) is not new.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,037

Mr. Jessop, I could've sworn that Erdogan axed that ban.

He did, but ISTR a court (I think a constitutional one) banned the lifting of the ban a few months later.

It's still a fairly warm topic over there.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,987
    edited November 2015
    Mr. Urquhart, does seem rather cack-handed.

Gaming news: apparently there's a load of Fallout 4 spoilers, including the ending, floating about, so do beware those if you're awaiting the game.

Speaking of spoilers, I hope we get the third series of Supermodels of SHIELD soon. Apparently it's rather good.

Edited extra bit: cheers for that extra information, Mr. Jessop.
  • Options
    If you use a site like Hola.org to tweak your browser location - you can stream those and almost every other big show from sites like CBS or ABC on demand.

I use CBS All Access a lot. They think I live in Utah.

Gaming news: apparently there's a load of Fallout 4 spoilers, including the ending, floating about, so do beware those if you're awaiting the game.

Speaking of spoilers, I hope we get the third series of Supermodels of SHIELD soon. Apparently it's rather good.

• Options

Oliver_PB said:

The UK has a long tradition of updating its laws to take into account of current events. The arguments you expose could have been, and probably were, deployed against the introduction of the Public Order Act 1936. I am not saying that said arguments were wrong then or now, merely that changing the law to match current accepted thought (or at least thought accepted by the current political elite) is not new.Given that law was brought in to address a specific issue, one questions why it remained a law after 1950. It is a lot, lot, easier to take a freedom than to return one.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    Apparently some of the cheap Guy Fawkes masks they wear can burn quite easily...bloody difficult to get off if it is melting your face..
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Muslim who threatened to behead UKIP candidate sentenced & only gets community order https://t.co/b7OBUtRrv2

If that women gets chokey for a joke after THAT, then I shall utterly despair.
    "The conversation became heated and the threat was made.
    Ahmed was later arrested after the number was traced to his parents' home.
    Sentencing him, Judge Stephen Earl said: "I'm still not convinced if I know who you are. A character I can most align you with is Walter Mitty."
    He added that he did not think the remark had been serious and that it displayed a "lack of mature thought".
    "I am satisfied that the threat that was made from your point of view was a throw away remark at the end of an agitated phone call," he said."
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-34731904
  • Options

Apparently some of the cheap Guy Fawkes masks they wear can burn quite easily...bloody difficult to get off if it is melting your face..

I am sure made in a Chinese sweat shop as well...
  • Options
    edited November 2015

If you use a site like Hola.org to tweak your browser location - you can stream those and almost every other big show from sites like CBS or ABC on demand.

I use CBS All Access a lot. They think I live in Utah.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ianmorris/2015/05/29/hola-vpn-selling-users-broadband

The controls over who uses your bandwidth are laughably weak. Your PC can be used for some seriously unpleasant activities without your knowledge.

I decided to cough up for a paid service after reading about this. Up to you though, obviously!
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited November 2015

Muslim who threatened to behead UKIP candidate sentenced & only gets community order - BBC https://t.co/b7OBUtRrv2

The judiciary are an absolute joke. They send people to prison for making politically incorrect comments on Twitter and Facebook and then let people off who threaten to behead people like this.
  • Options
    Miss Plato, leaving aside the fabled Virtue Of Morris Dancer, I get distracted from work easily enough as it is. I dislike watching stuff via the PC, but I do thank you for the suggestion [I know most people aren't so finickity].

Currently writing serious, dramatic, warlike fantasy stuff. Which led, naturally, to me writing several one-liners for the cross-dressing knight...
  • Options
    Labour's selection of the candidate this evening should be lively. A win for bus driver Mohammed Azam could well be in the offing. That could make for a highly charged by-election if UKIP continue with their anti-immigration and 'get our country back' rhetoric.
  • Options
    @JoeMurphyLondon: Important scoop by @joewatts_
    John McDonnell tells Momentum rally “We are working *through* the Labour Party.."
    https://t.co/TGyl48xhNe
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    I hate to say this but the Labour machine will be far more effective than Ukip who will be a group of enthusiastic but aimless door knockers. Labour will have data going back decades that Ukip can't compete with. I don't wish to sound defeatist, Bickley is a good man and the troops will give it a great shot but Ukip simply don't have the resources. Labour will win with a much reduced maj but still comfortably, postal votes will be the difference.
  • Options
    Mr. 63, I broadly agree, but UKIP should be getting better at this sort of thing, and Labour's machine in Scotland was highly rated, but proved to be less than superb.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869

Police held sheep identity parades for farmers from three counties whose ewes had gone missing, a court has heard.

A total of 14 farmers from both sides of the Pennines, in North Yorkshire, Cumbria and County Durham, identified 116 sheep as belonging to them, a jury heard.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/11977677/Farmers-identify-missing-sheep-in-ID-parade.html

I was interested in a picture of a rare breed of pig in Tuesday's Western Morning News. It's woolly like a sheep.

http://i.imgur.com/Un8idyh.jpg

Mangalitsa of Magalica - Hungarian, apparently.

Sadly, the best thing they could find to do with this rare breed was to turn it into the world's most expensive sausages (£37).

Their picture was advertising British Sausage Week.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

I hate to say this but the Labour machine will be far more effective than Ukip who will be a group of enthusiastic but aimless door knockers. Labour will have data going back decades that Ukip can't compete with. I don't wish to sound defeatist, Bickley is a good man and the troops will give it a great shot but Ukip simply don't have the resources. Labour will win with a much reduced maj but still comfortably, postal votes will be the difference.

The Labour machine wasn't very effective in Heywood & Middleton next door. The polls said they'd win easily and in the end they held on by a whisker after a recount. Why would it be different in Oldham?
  • Options

I hate to say this but the Labour machine will be far more effective than Ukip who will be a group of xenthusiastic but aimless door knockers. Labour will have data going back decades that Ukip can't compete with. I don't wish to sound defeatist, Bickley is a good man and the troops will give it a great shot but Ukip simply don't have the resources. Labour will win with a much reduced maj but still comfortably, postal votes will be the difference.

I agree that UKIP will be enthusiastic but aimless. I expect that Labour will be much the same. This has long been a safe seat so I doubt whether they have any useful data.
  • Options
    Mr. JS, partly agree, though UKIP then was at their high water mark.
  • Options
    Oh wow, I used to keep Angora goats and was regularly told mine were sheep. I kept pointing out their devilish oblong pupils...

http://www.angoragoats-n-more.com/Jasmine___Vanilla.jpg

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/speaking-of-science/wp/2015/08/10/heres-why-goats-have-those-freaky-eyes/
    AnneJGP said:

I was interested in a picture of a rare breed of pig in Tuesday's Western Morning News. It's woolly like a sheep.

http://i.imgur.com/Un8idyh.jpg

Mangalitsa of Magalica - Hungarian, apparently.

Sadly, the best thing they could find to do with this rare breed was to turn it into the world's most expensive sausages (£37).

Their picture was advertising British Sausage Week.