Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Antifrank on the impact of the big Lords Individual elector

13»

Comments

• Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642

AndyJS said:

Why is the British taxpayer going to pick up the compensation bill for the released Gitmo prisoner? Surely the Americans should be paying, if anyone.

I would quite like it to be argued about in open court. This is not a British citizen, and it would also bring to light exactly what he was up to doing "charity work" with the Taliban in the Bora-Bora region.

Could it be that the Americans had evidence of what many of the people in Guantanamo were really up to in Afghanistan but how they obtained the evidence was the issue.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    edited November 2015
    Tim_B said:

AndyJS said:

Why is the British taxpayer going to pick up the compensation bill for the released Gitmo prisoner? Surely the Americans should be paying, if anyone.

I would quite like it to be argued about in open court. This is not a British citizen, and it would also bring to light exactly what he was up to doing "charity work" with the Taliban in the Bora-Bora region.

I'm curious as to who paid for the private jet from Gitmo to Biggin Hill. HMG?
    I wouldn't be surprised if Kids Company paid for it, they seem to pay for everything else, whether it be a PhD, designer shoes or drugs.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    Another eminently missable TV series - Supergirl.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Tim_B said:

The 1984 film was pretty dire as well IIRC.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    AndyJS said:

Tim_B said:

The 1984 film was pretty dire as well IIRC.
    It's the pilot episode tonight, and CBS is heavily promoting it.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @notme

'The 600 seats and boundary equalisation is in the Tory manifesto, there is no way the Lords can vote it down.

They can, but they will most likely choose not to.'

No problem,if the Lib Dems & Labour want to throw the rule book out the window then Cameron has the perfect excuse to create another 50 Tory Peers.
  • Options

Were you to ask me my stance on Russia vs. Japan over the Kurile Islands, I would tell you that Russia's position was utterly without foundation, their behaviour bellicose, and Lavrov's pronouncements unjustified. An outrageous case of winner's justice. But you've never asked me.

What's the argument for this? Japan hasn't renounced the Treaty of San Francisco which says they give up claims to the Kuril Islands, so their whole argument seems to be that the Kuril Islands end in a really weird place.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Demis-kurils-russian_names.png
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    Tim_B said:

My two best teachers were an army captain who taught me math, and a major who taught me geography, and ran the CCF. Both ww2 vets.

My art teacher had been in Stalag Luft III and was one of the document forgers for the Great Escape. He himself was not an escaper. Unsurprisingly he was bitter and angry with the Germans for what happened to the Fifty, many of whom he knew very well and several he was close to..

He told a story of how he was working on a document for the breakout when a lookout signalled there were Germans in the vicinity. Quickly he pulled out a drawing he had and started working on it, lying it over the forged document. The German officer came in to the hut, saw the drawing , picked it up and took it over to the window to admire it, exposing the forged document. He then smiled, said how good it was, and put it back where it had been.

"... who taught me math ..."

Taught you what, Mr. B? What is this "Math" of which you speak? Surely you can't mean mathematics, note the plural, of which the abbreviated form is "Maths".

Interesting story about the artist. I really do stand in awe at what that whole generation did and what they went through. My latin master was as mad as a hatter who smoked Senior Service cigarettes all the time, including through lessons (not that masters smoking in class was unusual). It was only when we were in the pub next door to the school one evening after a bridge match (V form against the lower VI - yes all the boys were were all under age) that we got him talking and found out that he spent a chunk of the war as a guest of the Japanese having been captured whilst coast watching behind their lines. He was very lucky to escape execution but what he went through was appalling. Another of our maniacs was a geography master who had been a navigator in bomber command. He was truly certifiable, and frequently pissed, but you never forgot a point he wanted you to learn.

As you say those old boys could be very good teachers, but they, and their modern equivalents, would never even get into the profession these days.
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

AndyJS said:

Could it be that the Americans had evidence of what many of the people in Guantanamo were really up to in Afghanistan but how they obtained the evidence was the issue.
    Fair go. However we have here someone who is not one of Her Majesty's subjects who was off doing something, we know not what, in a terrorist run area when he was nicked and banged up for years by the Septics. Why he deserves one moment of HMG's time let alone this seven figure compensation package from the UK taxpayer that is being bandied about is beyond me.

The fellow is a Saudi national isn't he?
  • Options

I don't understand why we don't let the hereditary peers die off.

The "elections" are some of the weirdest things I've ever followed!

I'd actually favour a return to the House of Lords as was before this life peerage nonsense was kicked off. Democracy is much over-rated.
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    "Jeremy Corbyn has just set up a new grouping, Momentum. One of its aims is to “Organise in every town, city and village to create a mass movement for real progressive change”."

That's the sort of vacuous slogan dreamt up by a mad lefties who think that making up slogans is an adequate substitute for meaningful concrete action. It doesn't actually mean that anything substantial is going to be achieved in terms of enfranchising those who might fall through the gaps.
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    JohnLoony said:

"Jeremy Corbyn has just set up a new grouping, Momentum. One of its aims is to “Organise in every town, city and village to create a mass movement for real progressive change”."

That's the sort of vacuous slogan dreamt up by a mad lefties who think that making up slogans is an adequate substitute for meaningful concrete action. It doesn't actually mean that anything substantial is going to be achieved in terms of enfranchising those who might fall through the gaps.

What it does mean though that a core of hard left (who have often been marginalised as delusional dinosaurs) can set themselves up and organise outside of the normal party structures.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,022
    edited November 2015

I don't understand why we don't let the hereditary peers die off.

The "elections" are some of the weirdest things I've ever followed!

I'd actually favour a return to the House of Lords as was before this life peerage nonsense was kicked off. Democracy is much over-rated.
    Agreed, and a moratorium on *political* life peerages (apart from ex PMs and speakers, perhaps).
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

As I understand it, it is to prevent him from suing the government at a later date, which may lead to the security services having to justify why he was detained.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    edited November 2015
    Top stories the BBC......

Plane crash
    Fire in nightclub
    Kiwis win World Cup

Don't get me wrong here but ........... Important evidence ie burn the evidence stuff from Iraq not even mentioned. .....Nothing WTF.

Cn you just i imagine the howls had this been Tory. Yeah.
    ..?.
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

Plane crash
    Fire in nightclub
    Kiwis win World Cup

Don't get me wrong here but ........... Important evidence ie burn the evidence stuff from Iraq not even mentioned. .....Nothing WTF.

..?.

Finally
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34690947

Keep in mind had this Been Tory if would have been up for in probably seconds as normal

It just would have been !!
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

Plane crash
    Fire in nightclub
    Kiwis win World Cup

..?.

Finally

Keep in mind had this Been Tory if would have been up for in probably seconds as normal

Hey, maybe I was wrong ? Checked BBC breaking news............

Apparently some guy from Happy Days ( drive in manager) has died.... RIP

I was not wrong.......Say no more
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

Plane crash
    Fire in nightclub
    Kiwis win World Cup

..?.

Finally

Hey, maybe I was wrong ? Checked BBC breaking news............

Apparently some guy from Happy Days ( drive in manager) has died.... RIP

I was not wrong.......Say no more
    Was the Mail's story in any way substantiated?
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    edited November 2015
    The government has abandoned plans to let police and security services access browsing histories and prevent private companies from using encryption:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/oct/31/theresa-may-backtracks-on-internet-snooping?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

This is fantastic news. OF course, we should wait to see what is in the final bill, but I'm very pleased that we are not allowing Labour's disarray to go to our heads and act with impunity. It shows confidence from a government to admit when they are in the wrong.

However, I still agree with Shami Chakrabati that there should be judicial sign off. Hopefully we can go one step further and do that.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

More to the point, what were the Northern Alliance bounty hunters who sold him to the Americans doing in Tahiti in the first place?
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    HurstLlama,

The man is a Saudi national who moved his wife and kids to Taliban Afghanistan for a more Islamic environment. I think his right to residency here should be removed on good character grounds.
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806

MP_SE said:

AndyJS said:

Fair go. However we have here someone who is not one of Her Majesty's subjects who was off doing something, we know not what, in a terrorist run area when he was nicked and banged up for years by the Septics. Why he deserves one moment of HMG's time let alone this seven figure compensation package from the UK taxpayer that is being bandied about is beyond me.

The fellow is a Saudi national isn't he?
    Lots of questions....

It was reported that he was offered freedom some years ago if he went back to Saudi (his nationality) but he refused.
    If he went to Afghanistan for "humanitarian" work, what organisation did he work with?
    How much money will his lawyers who have helped him here and abroad get paid? Where will the money come from - is it pending "compensation"?