Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The tax credits defeat happened because the Tories are stil

1235»

Comments

• Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    Brilliant work in ethnography with ppl with long term conditions https://t.co/87A2MpLkrm @IpsosMORI #LTCImp
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039

antifrank said:

Like Morecambe and Wise in same double bed, there's loads of stuff that was unremarked in the 70s.

ydoethur said:

"My name is Pussy Galore."

"I must be dreaming."

(How on earth Fleming got away with that in the far more conservative early 1960s (homosexuality and abortion were still get to be legalised, the pill was barely 18 months old, and we still had the death penalty) I will never know)

Because the censor didn't know what it meant! Lord Harlech, for example, passed a bedroom scene with a naked unmarried couple in bed together on the basis that it was clearly made up - 'men and women don't go to bed with no clothes on'.
    Eric Morecambe was highly resistant to the idea of being in bed with Ernie. He was only persuaded when it was pointed out to him that Laurel and Hardy had shared a bed:

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=GaR6AAAAQBAJ&pg=PA32&lpg=PA32&dq=eric+morecambe+ernie+bed+laurel+hardy&source=bl&ots=Zi05waC1qG&sig=IfKZirtTWnZMpx-gjHA_im80vrg&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CDwQ6AEwB2oVChMI0bT94N_iyAIVgboUCh2A6ANp#v=onepage&q=eric morecambe ernie bed laurel hardy&f=false
    There was something on TV a while back stating that a couple could not be depicted in a bed together on US TV until the 1970s. It was not counted as 'being in bed' if at least one foot was on the floor, or if they were in twin beds. Cue memories of exactly this: one person in bed, the other half-sitting on, with his foot on the floor.
    I believe the first couple depicted in bed together on US TV were Fred and Wilma Flintstone.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    edited October 2015
    The lady with the wine bottle on Big Brother?!?!

I replayed a Michael Parkinson interview with Richard Burton on youtube the other day.

He chain smoked through the whole thing. (Burton that is).
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,667
    If the Lords vote down IVR then it surely does add up to a constitutional crisis. That is in the manifesto, Dave would be well within his rights to create a hundred or so extra peers and rebalance upper house.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039

I believe the first couple depicted in bed together on US TV were Fred and Wilma Flintstone.

And on which note:

LISTER: Cat?
    CAT: Mmm?
    LISTER: Ya ever see the Flintstones?
    CAT: Sure!
    LISTER: D'ya think Wilma's sexy?
    CAT: Wilma Flintstone?
    LISTER: Maybe we've been alone in deep space too long, but every time I see that sharmi(?) body, it drives me crazy. Is it me?
    CAT: Well, I think in all probability, Wilma Flintstone is the most desirable woman that ever lived.
    LISTER: That's good. I thought I was goin' strange.
    CAT: She's incredible!
    LISTER: What d'ya think of Betty?
    CAT: Betty Rubble? (Pause) Well, I would go with Betty... but I'd be thinking of Wilma.
    LISTER: This is crazy. Why are we talking about going to bed with Wilma Flintstone?
    CAT: You're right. We're nuts. This is an insane conversation.
    LISTER: She'll never leave Fred, and we know it.

CAT shakes his head in resignation.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    I think Daniel Craig is the best Bond since Connery. The thousand yard stare and slight whiff of thuggery matches the character well. I thought the villain in Skyfall was a bit lame though, all whining self pity, and I think that the internet based plot will not age well.

Looking forward to Spectre.
  • Options
    @Tissue_Price

*LISTER: She'll never leave Fred, and we know it.*

:sunglasses:
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited October 2015
    MaxPB said:

If the Lords vote down IVR then it surely does add up to a constitutional crisis. That is in the manifesto, Dave would be well within his rights to create a hundred or so extra peers and rebalance upper house.

I doubt the Queen's handlers would allow a glut of new, unwarranted Tory peers. Even during the Lords crisis in the 1910s, the King insisted on the Liberals calling (and winning) an election before creating loads of new peerages.

The bottom line is the whole point of the Lords is to act as a check on the power of the executive. That they are causing irritation to the government of the day just shows they are doing their job.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013
    Cyclefree said:

Predictably depressing and gruesome news - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/syria/11956712/Isil-destroys-Roman-era-columns-in-Palmyra-during-execution.html

I simply do not want the Islamic world's tumultuous convulsions to spread to or be replicated here.

Presumably, some people find the prospect exciting.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    OT I really want to buy a bigger fridge/freezer - will I end up throwing more stuff out as I've more capacity to buy things that go out of date?

I suspect this could be true - but will it out do the range on offer when I'm feeling fickle?
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    Bond: “I always enjoyed learning a new tongue.”
    Moneypenny: “You always were a cunning linguist, James.”
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,027
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Mr. Royale, I saw a dreary, right-on woman on Sky News the other day wibbling about Bond's sexism. She used a particularly vile word 'herstory' [instead of 'history'].

Of course, 'history' doesn't mean 'his story' [except in the minds of the ill-informed]. It's from the Latin 'historia'. Which is, ironically, a feminine word...
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    taffys said:

I replayed a Michael Parkinson interview with Richard Burton on youtube the other day.

Dave Allen was drunk by the end of most of his programmes ( sometimes I wondered if he was at the start) and he smoked all the way through.

Never forget this sketch still makes me laugh not sure about the Bishops though

http://youtu.be/Qx6hAQmR1fg
  • Options
    http://order-order.com/2015/10/27/galloway-aide-charged-with-child-sex-offences/

No further comment from me, as Gorgeous George enjoys instructing lawyers to start proceedings.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,015
    edited October 2015
    Reports of another Lords vote that could go against the govt tonight, concerning individual voter registration.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/11956879/Tax-credits-cuts-George-Osborne-defeated-by-House-of-Lords-live.html (ignore the url it's a rolling live blog of the day's politics news)

Someone will undoubtedly correct me if I'm wrong, but is this not a Lib Dem proposal to kill what they supported in Government only a year or two ago?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,251
    Moses_ said:

taffys said:

Dave Allen was drunk by the end of most of his programmes ( sometimes I wondered if he was at the start) and he smoked all the way through.

Never forget this sketch still makes me laugh not sure about the Bishops though

http://youtu.be/Qx6hAQmR1fg
    Allen was brilliant. I love his bar stool routines.

• Options

New Thread New Thread

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,027
    Mr. Eagles, sometimes I think about sending free copies of Sir Edric's Temple to the angriest, most politically correct sorts, to see whether their outrage gets me a load of free publicity :p

But I don't. Because I am a moral man. [And because it's scheduled for traditional release early 2016, and February would, probably, be the optimal month for pre-release marketing].
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    The bet at the moment is surely lay,lay,lay Osborne.His 2-1 price was/is ridiculously short.For those who took the 16-1 when advised,it,s time to green up-no-one ever went broke by taking a profit.For those who are dutching the bet,the one star that is rising at the moment is that of Michael Gove,available at 28-1 at WH.If he turns out to be the radical liberal he could be with the prison service,they could seem very generous odds.Worth a punt.
    Lay Osborne @9/5
    Back Gove @28-1
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    Sandpit said:

Reports of another Lords vote that could go against the govt tonight, concerning individual voter registration.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/11956879/Tax-credits-cuts-George-Osborne-defeated-by-House-of-Lords-live.html (ignore the url it's a rolling live blog of the day's politics news)

Someone will undoubtedly correct me if I'm wrong, but is this not a Lib Dem proposal to kill what they supported in Government only a year or two ago?

And Labour supported in Government. It was so important that they bragged about introducing the legislation in their 2010 manifesto.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,187
    Jonathan said:

malcolmg said:

Jonathan said:

malcolmg said:

Jonathan said:

malcolmg said:

PClipp said:

Incredible that the Labour peers were so helpful to Mr Cameron that most of them abstained on the Lib Dem amendment. If they had backed the Lib Dems, the government measure would have been defeated, not just delayed.

No it wouldn't. Osborne would simply have brought it back in the next Budget.
    The RedTories helped their friends as usual, they need to keep themselves ready for when it is their turn to take over, and so can keep supping at the trough as they pretend to be for the "workers".
    The only thing the SNP has achieved recently is a Tory majority.
    Saddo, only party that votes for the poor is the SNP. Labour are too busy siding with the nasty party, their great plan of abstaining and then trying to claim they vote against their chums is so pathetic and stupid it is hard to believe. At least the nasty party act as we expect but Labour sit pathetically on two stools unable to even work out what they are for.
    Good rant. Shame it doesn't make a difference.
    Take an earthquake to have Labour make a difference for sure.
    Labour has done more for working people than the SNP ever will.

Mr. Jonathan, isn't that what the Opposition is for?

The opposition is to provide an alternative executive. Independent, wise senators would add something extra.

Since the US has borrowed so much of our law, it's about time we borrowed something back.
    Not in Scotland they haven't. Lined their own pockets for sure but did little for workers.