Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Farage and UKIP the big gainers in the October Ipsos phone

13»

Comments

• Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    AndyJS said:

The best thing about FPTP is that it gives voters an opportunity to clear out an entire political cabal in one go, whereas with PR you can often have the same tired old faces turning up in coalitions for years on end with seemingly no way to get rid of them.

A number of highly Europhile Liberal Democrats still manage to get into the European Parliament, despite their party getting massacred in the vote share. That is a clear lesson against PR.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    OT

Anyone seen Joe Stilgoe in concert? or listened to his music?. Son of Richard Stilgoe he is a very talented musician and magic if you like his style . I saw him last week and it was 10/10 AFAIWC

http://www.joestilgoe.com/
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,016
    Mr. Antifrank, is there a long-standing argument about whether Alexander is better than Scipio on that hashtag?
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Anyone wanting the mirror of pb should look on twitter at #taxcredits

Why? The Govt are clearly losing the argument on tax credits. They are struggling to put up any people of substance who can communicate it in a persuasive manner. Instead we have the idle threat of MAD for the Lords. Something that Osborne is clearly leading.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''I should hope so too. If they vote for £12bn of welfare cuts that is what they should get.''

The self entitlement of the lib dem peers, who saw their party destroyed at the last election, is something to behold.
  • Options
    Mr. JEO, didn't the Lib Dems get 1 MEP elected last time?

One is, admittedly, a number, but quite a low one.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

Mr. Antifrank, is there a long-standing argument about whether Alexander is better than Scipio on that hashtag?

Less history, more swearing.
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108

Mr. G, if Scotland becomes independent, is it SNP policy to have its own F1 circuit? :p

The racing is best with changeable weather and where better to find four seasons in a day.
  • Options
    taffys said:

''I should hope so too. If they vote for £12bn of welfare cuts that is what they should get.''

The self entitlement of the lib dem peers, who saw their party destroyed at the last election, is something to behold.

Many of these Lib Dem peers are politicians that the electorate rejected. They have no shame.
  • Options
    Mr. Antifrank, that sounds appalling.
  • Options
    Leader of the Opposition is Baroness Smith who was Member of Parliament (MP) for Basildon from 1997 until losing her seat to the Conservatives at the 2010 General Election.
    This reject is leading the Labour Lords.
  • Options
    PaulyPauly Posts: 897
    Don't interrupt your enemy while they are making a mistake. If the tax credit cuts are truly as evil as the opposition are claiming, blocking them would be a foolish move. Evil tax credits inflicting misery could zap conservative voters away...
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,688
    tlg86 said:

JEO said:

If you are poor enough, at one point in time, you get a house with below market rent for life, and your kids likely get it after you too.

JEO - agree with the rest of what you say - but on this particular point I know it's not necessarily the case. I know of a family living with a grandparent in their council house who were forced to leave when the grandparent died. That said, both parents work full time so that might have contributed to the council's lack of compassion. My parents bought their council house and I am grateful that they did.
    chestnut said:

malcolmg said:

antifrank said:

Danny565 said:

Mr. 565, it's not legitimate to pronounce yourself a self-employed musician (or writer...) then hold out your hand and demand taxpayers' money is given to you.

I kind of agree - but this is what us lefties have been arguing to the Tories for years. The "real" jobs market has NEVER recovered from the government slashing the number of public-sector jobs, and the only reason the unemployment statistics have recovered on paper is because of the huge spike in self-employed people who are topped up by tax credits.
    Self-employed people, while less well-paid than employees, are happier on average in their work than employed people and the RSA believes that most of the recent surge in self-employment happened because people preferred being their own boss rather than as a way to avoid unemployment:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/93e651ba-e5bd-11e3-aeef-00144feabdc0.html#axzz3ph6g7BqZ
    If you believe that you are not the full shilling. It gets them more than they would on JSA as they can get more benefits, so anyone would change to self employed if they cannot get a job. Tories love it as they can claim UK is booming.
    I know many in my acquaintance who have gone self employed to escape the drudgery of being a wage slave. It's been a choice they've made, not a matter of having to, usually leaving the public sector's stairway to hell, running as fast as they could with their pay offs and pensions.

Among the young people I meet, there is a large segment that want to work for themselves - give it a go etc. In IT this is very popular - start as a 1 person contractor and build from there. Outside IT, I see quite a few of people exiting traditional salaried employment to try and start their own business.

The attitude behind all of this is that permanent employment is as about as risky as going for it, while starting a business is the only practical way to make a big jump up the ladder.
  • Options
    Dair said:

The monarchy is far from "extremely popular". Retention is supported by around 60% but that benefits greatly from small c conservative attitudes not to change things and from the utter lack of proper national debate.

For the SNP it is simply not a fight worth considering. Independence is the goal, anything else can wait. I have little doubt that the monarchy has less than 20 years left in Scotland.

LOL! Supported by a mere 60%, and considered such a deal-breaker that the SNP - which historically has strongly opposed the monarchy - had to abandon their position.

And that's curmudgeonly Scotland. In English marginals, which are rather more relevant to Labour's electoral prospects, and especially amongst swing voters in English marginals, Corbyn's anti-monarchy stance will go down like IDS in the Gorbals.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,018

taffys said:

Many of these Lib Dem peers are politicians that the electorate rejected. They have no shame.
    Anyone who lost their seat in the Commons should not be allowed to be appointed to the Lords.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    JL I absolutely agree..they were rejected yet they go on to be paid enormous sums by way of expenses for being a failure..crazy..
  • Options

Dair said:

The monarchy is far from "extremely popular". Retention is supported by around 60% but that benefits greatly from small c conservative attitudes not to change things and from the utter lack of proper national debate.

For the SNP it is simply not a fight worth considering. Independence is the goal, anything else can wait. I have little doubt that the monarchy has less than 20 years left in Scotland.

LOL! Supported by a mere 60%, and considered such a deal-breaker that the SNP - which historically has strongly opposed the monarchy - had to abandon their position.

And that's curmudgeonly Scotland. In English marginals, which are rather more relevant to Labour's electoral prospects, and especially amongst swing voters in English marginals, Corbyn's anti-monarchy stance will go down like IDS in the Gorbals.
    More wildly incorrect claims. The SNP have never had an Abolition policy.

I have no interest in English marginals, the UK will be dissolved long before Labour ever becomes electable again.
  • Options
    Dair said:

I have no interest in English marginals, the UK will be dissolved long before Labour ever becomes electable again.

Defying a warning by their leader, Alex Salmond, delegates voted by a clear majority to hold a referendum on whether or not to retain the Monarch as head of state for Scotland within the first term of an independent parliament.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/snp-conference-snp-prepare-ground-for-dropping-the-queen-1241179.html

But I think we agree. Both in Scotland, and even more in England, the monarchy is popular, and therefore Corbyn's anti-monarchy stance is a negative for Labour.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,202
    Dair said:

Dair said:

Dair said:

Dair said:

The Canadian Liberals have just won most seats in Quebec at a general election for the first time in 35 years. During most of that time nationalists dominated Quebec politics yet still lost two independence referendums
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474

antifrank said:

Anyone wanting the mirror of pb should look on twitter at #taxcredits

Why? The Govt are clearly losing the argument on tax credits. They are struggling to put up any people of substance who can communicate it in a persuasive manner. Instead we have the idle threat of MAD for the Lords. Something that Osborne is clearly leading.
    They lost the argument on the 'bedroom tax' too, didn't they?
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    Breaking news ITN

Police say they have arrested a 15 year old in Ireland in regard to the cyber attack on Talk Talk.

Gosh .....15? Ireland? What the?
  • Options

Dair said:

Defying a warning by their leader, Alex Salmond, delegates voted by a clear majority to hold a referendum on whether or not to retain the Monarch as head of state for Scotland within the first term of an independent parliament.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/snp-conference-snp-prepare-ground-for-dropping-the-queen-1241179.html

But I think we agree. Both in Scotland, and even more in England, the monarchy is popular, and therefore Corbyn's anti-monarchy stance is a negative for Labour.
    You seem obsessed with the bizarre belief that support for retention in some way indicated popularity. I understand your psychological need to justify your willingness to be a subservient serf leads you to find any excuse you can to justify your lack of self esteem.

But these straws you're gasping keep falling apart in your forelock tugging hand.
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

Breaking news ITN

Police say they have arrested a 15 year old in Ireland in regard to the cyber attack on Talk Talk.

Will he get a really, really poor A-Team rip off on CBS as well?
  • Options
    JEO said:

AndyJS said:

The best thing about FPTP is that it gives voters an opportunity to clear out an entire political cabal in one go, whereas with PR you can often have the same tired old faces turning up in coalitions for years on end with seemingly no way to get rid of them.

A number of highly Europhile Liberal Democrats still manage to get into the European Parliament, despite their party getting massacred in the vote share. That is a clear lesson against PR.
    That number is exactly one!

• Options
    Dair said:

You seem obsessed with the bizarre belief that support for retention in some way indicated popularity. I understand your psychological need to justify your willingness to be a subservient serf leads you to find any excuse you can to justify your lack of self esteem.

But these straws you're gasping keep falling apart in your forelock tugging hand.

LOL! You are on good form today.

My self esteem is in pretty good nick, actually. So much so that I am very capable of distinguishing between my views on the monarchy, and the typical voter's view, and also very capable of seeing the funny side in Nats taking offence even when they agree with what you say.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    Dair said:

Moses_ said:

Breaking news ITN

Well, As always ......
    if that does turn out to be correct, they should give him a job in the Talk Talk security division rather than arrest him. I am presuming they have a security division of course.

• Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,319
    LD amendment goes to a vote.

Result in approx 15 mins.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,096
    Moses_ said:

Dair said:

Moses_ said:

Breaking news ITN

Well, As always ......
    if that does turn out to be correct, they should give him a job in the Talk Talk security division rather than arrest him. I am presuming they have a security division of course.

Like it!
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Just wonder who this will help re the vote on the Lab motion.

Likelihood is a few Peers go home after the first vote - most likely Crossbenchers - that could harm the Government's chances on the Lab motion.
  • Options
    They should make the Lords more relevant and just have a vote on whether or not Glenn is dead.
  • Options
    Pauly said:

Don't interrupt your enemy while they are making a mistake. If the tax credit cuts are truly as evil as the opposition are claiming, blocking them would be a foolish move. Evil tax credits inflicting misery could zap conservative voters away...

Politics isn't a game...it's real life. These cuts will result in families losing their homes
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293

Pauly said:

Politics isn't a game...it's real life. These cuts will result in families losing their homes
    unlikely hyperbole.
  • Options
    TKA..BOLLOX..
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    Well they can't accuse the opposition of not opposing after tonight.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,028
    edited October 2015
    x

Pauly said:

Yes I find it a bt crap when people say things like that.. how can it be worth inflicting pain (if you think what the govt are doing is that) just to score a political point

Surely it would be morally better to be out of power but exerting influence than to exert none in the hope things get so bad you get power?
  • Options
    Watching the Division in the HOL tonight is like watching the sheep in the sheep pen at an abattoir
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,634
    JEO said:
    I think government support of Saudi Arabia, Qatar and now Turkey needs to be reassessed. They are the primary agitators in the region and supply arms and cash to Islamist groups. As for the article, it's more likely that the BBC online reporter is just clueless about the situation on the ground and swallows up any propaganda from the Saudis as being 100% true without any research rather than knowingly posting incorrect statements such as supplying the "Army of Conquest" but no Al-Nusra, which as stated in the article is an impossibility.
  • Options
    Govt defeats LD motion 310 to 99.
  • Options
    Lol not even close.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Meacher amendment goes to a vote.

Result in 15 mins.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,014
    Isn't our democracy wonderful :D
  • Options
    How many Tory peers are there in the HoL ?

And how many Labour/LD/crossbench
  • Options
    Lab abstained on LD motion - hence huge Govt win.

If everyone votes the same way this time except for Lab Peers voting for it, Govt will win - there won't be 211 Lab Peers to add to that side.

But risk is if any Crossbenchers switch sides (plus small number may go home early from all parties).
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,152
    MaxPB said:

JEO said:
    I think government support of Saudi Arabia, Qatar and now Turkey needs to be reassessed. They are the primary agitators in the region and supply arms and cash to Islamist groups. As for the article, it's more likely that the BBC online reporter is just clueless about the situation on the ground and swallows up any propaganda from the Saudis as being 100% true without any research rather than knowingly posting incorrect statements such as supplying the "Army of Conquest" but no Al-Nusra, which as stated in the article is an impossibility.
    You've really got it in for Turkey, haven't you?
  • Options
    State of parties:

Con 249
    Lab 213
    LD 112
    Crossbench 176

BUT NOTE: The above numbers include 42 of the 45 Peers Cameron added last month.

But only 12 of these have been formally introduced so far - so the other 33 cannot yet vote.

So rough numbers eligible to vote today are:

Con 233
    Lab 206
    LD 102
    Crossbench 176
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    MikeL said:

Result in 15 mins.

Gah!

I take off in 10.

May the luck of @RobD be with me...
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,020
    Charles said:

MikeL said:

Result in 15 mins.

Gah!

I take off in 10.

May the luck of @RobD be with me...
    Go forth! :D
  • Options
    MikeL said:

State of parties:

Con 249
    Lab 213
    LD 112
    Crossbench 176

BUT NOTE: The above numbers include 42 of the 45 Peers Cameron added last month.

But only 12 of these have been formally introduced so far - so the other 33 cannot yet vote.

Con 233
    Lab 206
    LD 102
    Crossbench 176

Don't the Bishops vote and if so how many
  • Options

MikeL said:

State of parties:

Con 249
    Lab 213
    LD 112
    Crossbench 176

Con 233
    Lab 206
    LD 102
    Crossbench 176

Are they counted under crossbench in this table?
  • Options
    RobD said:

MikeL said:

State of parties:

Con 249
    Lab 213
    LD 112
    Crossbench 176

Con 233
    Lab 206
    LD 102
    Crossbench 176

Are they counted under crossbench in this table?
    I don't know - assume Mike L does
  • Options
    edited October 2015

MikeL said:

State of parties:

Con 249
    Lab 213
    LD 112
    Crossbench 176

Con 233
    Lab 206
    LD 102
    Crossbench 176

Yes, sorry - 25 Bishops as well.

NOTE: It's very rare for more than about 70 Crossbenchers to vote (and Bishops normally less than 5).

But could be more tonight.

That 310 for the Govt looks a very, very high turnout on the first vote - probably 200 to 210 Con Peers - so implies 100 others.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,008
    edited October 2015
    MikeL said:

State of parties:

Con 249
    Lab 213
    LD 112
    Crossbench 176

Con 233
    Lab 206
    LD 102
    Crossbench 176

I reckon those voting are:

140 Con
    130 Lab
    80 Xbench etc
    60 LD

This next motion will depend on how the xbench and bishops split.

Assuming xbench/bishops split 60/20 for the government, the result will be 210 Content, 200 Not Content. Extremely tight but a government loss I think.

We'll see in a few minutes.
  • Options
    Breakdown of Mori poll by region shows Tories ahead in the Midlands and South, Labour the North and London and the SNP Scotland. Labour leads by 11% in London and 17% in the North, the Tories 8% in the Midlands (above their national vote lead of 4%) suggesting Tories are doing best in the marginals, Labour their safe seats.
    https://www.ipsos-mori.com/Assets/Docs/oct2015web.pdf
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

MikeL said:

State of parties:

Con 249
    Lab 213
    LD 112
    Crossbench 176

Con 233
    Lab 206
    LD 102
    Crossbench 176

140 Con
    130 Lab
    80 Xbench etc
    60 LD

Assuming xbench/bishops split 60/20 for the government, the result will be 210 Content, 200 Not Content. Extremely tight but a win for Labour I think. If not, the 3rd delaying amendment will be carried.

But your numbers imply lots of Lab voted with the Govt on the first vote. I doubt that.

I expect approx 200 Con and 170 Lab are present
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Breakdown of Mori poll by region shows Tories ahead in the Midlands and South, Labour the North and London and the SNP Scotland. Labour leads by 11% in London and 17% in the North, the Tories 8% in the Midlands (above their national vote lead of 4%) suggesting Tories are doing best in the marginals, Labour their safe seats.

Think most would agree that is a fair assessment of the present political climate - though the Tories pushing Labour in Scotland
  • Options
    Govt LOSES 307 to 277.
  • Options
    Is this even in the Lords remit ?!
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Barnesian said:

MikeL said:

State of parties:

Con 249
    Lab 213
    LD 112
    Crossbench 176

Con 233
    Lab 206
    LD 102
    Crossbench 176

140 Con
    130 Lab
    80 Xbench etc
    60 LD

Assuming xbench/bishops split 60/20 for the government, the result will be 210 Content, 200 Not Content. Extremely tight but a win for Labour I think. If not, the 3rd delaying amendment will be carried.

But your numbers imply lots of Lab voted with the Govt on the first vote. I doubt that.

I expect approx 200 Con and 170 Lab are present
    You're right. I'm ignoring abstentions. Anyway we'll see in a moment.
  • Options
    Lab motion now to a vote.

I expect Govt loss again as per Meacher motion.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Govt LOSES 307 to 277.

A bigger losing margin than I predicted.
  • Options
    My estimate of 2nd vote:

Lab 180
    LD 80
    Others 47
    Total 307

Con 200
    Others 77
    Total 277

Govt could have won but needed even higher % of Crossbench.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

I predict a very tight government win on the Lab Hollis amendment. 280 v 290.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,447
    Pulpstar said:

Is this even in the Lords remit ?!

Yes. If it wasn't, then they wouldn't be able to do it. The government has plenty of options, the most obvious being to reschedule the change in a Budget.

I don't like the notion that the Lords isn't allowed an opinion. It is perfectly entitle to have one and to enforce it within the law. If the Commons don't like it then Lords reform is always an option but to have in practice whilst keeping a zombie Lords is the worst of all worlds.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Barnesian said:

MikeL said:

I predict a very tight government win on the Lab Hollis amendment. 280 v 290.
    Govt needs 16 to switch sides from the Meacher vote.

Can they really get that?

Always the risk a few drift home as well!
  • Options
    George needs to hold fast and stick it on a "money" bill.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Hollis (Lab) motion:

Govt LOSES 289 to 272.
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,940
    I watched a large part of the Lords debate. The quality of the debate was very high - the summing-up for the Govt by Earl Howe was low key but really on the ball. My understanding is that Lady Meacher's amendment is to wait until the debate on the Commons on Thursday where an all-party motion ( including 8 Conservatives) will be discussed.
  • Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469
    So Osborne is just singed toast
  • Options
    23 went home after voting on Meacher before voting on Hollis!
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Think most would agree that is a fair assessment of the present political climate - though the Tories pushing Labour in Scotland
    Indeed, yes the biggest gainers in Scotland since the election seem to be the Tories
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Hollis (Lab) motion:

Govt LOSES 289 to 272.

You were right Mike.

Lucky George. Let off the hook by the HoL.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Indeed, yes the biggest gainers in Scotland since the election seem to be the Tories
    Scottish Tory Surge?!
  • Options
    I think the Govt will have to put whatever they decide to do in Welfare Bill / Finance Bill - they can't allow any more messing around in the Lords like this.
  • Options
    NEW THREAD!
  • Options
    RobD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scottish Tory Surge?!
    Ruth Davidson does seem to be making an impact yes